Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Transatlantic' (2023) mini series

From the creator of Unorthodox. With Gillian Jacobs and DL fave Cory Michael Smith doing homo stuff.

[quote]Two Americans and their allies form a scrappy rescue operation in 1940 Marseilles to help artists, writers and other refugees fleeing Europe during WWII.

Seven episodes, out April 7th on Netflix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2023 11:47 PM

Ah, yes, I remember all the blacks in Europe during WW2.

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2023 10:33 PM

Then you should read more, it'll jog your memory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2023 10:37 PM

A+ for having an openly gay actor playing a gay character.

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2023 7:28 AM

R1 Since you must have been there fighting for the Fatherland, I guess I’ll take your word for it.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2023 7:50 AM

Why are all these fighting age men allowed to stay out of the army during WW2?

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2023 8:41 AM

R5 I'm sure the show will address it.

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2023 10:36 AM

Sounds like a tax write off.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2023 10:49 AM

Very disappointed about the gay storyline. It got very little screen time and that ending... ugh. At least the little we did get was good though.

by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2023 10:40 AM

You've watched it already? I'm in the middle of the first episode. Costumes and cinematography look stunning, but the story isn't grabbing me just yet.

CMS is so pretty.

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2023 10:45 AM

R9 Yes. Watched all of it yesterday. CMS was very good in the role. I'm glad he plays a gay character again, as he's a gay man in real life too. Can't stand it when they have straight actors play gay roles. Happy that's not the case here.

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2023 10:50 AM

It’s really disappointing. Terrible writing and plot. Such a shame as the premise is good. It’s clearly got a significant budget, filmed on location, a lot of interesting actors involved who have been in quality series like ‘Call my agent’, ‘Parlement’, etc… what went wrong?

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2023 7:24 PM

R11 Netflix ruins everything. It probably would have been better if HBO or another company got the rights instead of Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2023 7:30 PM

[quote]Why are all these fighting age men allowed to stay out of the army during WW2?

It's 1940. The USA was still Neutral.

by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2023 12:23 AM

I love how European characters in these shows conveniently speak perfect English.

by Anonymousreply 14April 10, 2023 12:48 AM

Enh, I'm not bothered by that, specially because they switch to French and German throughout as well. It's just one of those things that have to be done when you have a predominantly American cast and the story itself revolves mostly around Americans.

by Anonymousreply 15April 10, 2023 12:55 AM

I'll give anything with Cory Michael Smith a try.

by Anonymousreply 16April 10, 2023 11:27 AM

I’m sorry this is not good. It had the hopefulness of good.

by Anonymousreply 17April 10, 2023 11:51 AM

the sceneries r gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 18April 10, 2023 12:26 PM

R12- if it was HBO or any other streaming service, there won't be a gay character or if there was going to be a gay character, that character will fuck women or else that role will get reduced to a few seconds of screen time

by Anonymousreply 19April 10, 2023 12:36 PM

The trailer isn't so inspiring. I might watch it if there are some dongs presented.

by Anonymousreply 20April 10, 2023 1:55 PM

It was pretty, but disappointing.

Too much time spent on kooky parties and not enough on espionage.

by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2023 2:22 PM

Gee, war and resistance in an occupied area is so much fun, I wonder why we don’t do it all he time. Plenty of electricity to light up a villa garden for an amusing party with surrealists and the like around a crystal clear pool, and the Vichy police , nor the Germans won’t notice a thing. I had such high hopes for this , and was so disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2023 3:32 PM

It's an odd choice to have cartoon villains when you have actual NAZIs to work with.

by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2023 3:51 PM

I’m tired of WWII stories. No more.

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2023 3:53 PM

[quote] Then you should read more, it'll jog your memory.

Thank you, r2. What a sad society we've become that the limited and undereducated are comfortable luxuriating in their own ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2023 4:00 PM

I love WWII stories. And I was interested in seeing one set in Vichy France instead of Paris. It had great possibilities. But it ended up being too much like a Hallmark movie.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2023 4:01 PM

[quote] I remember all the blacks in Europe during WW2.

I thought having the main black characters from a French colony made it realistic.

Not like those foolish shows that cast Jamacians as Regency England aristocracy.

by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2023 4:03 PM

R20- the opening scene has the lead actor running into the sea completely naked

by Anonymousreply 28April 11, 2023 6:38 AM

Lucas Englander, what a name. Speaks English, German, French, trained in the Stella Adler Studio in New York. Next big thing? I'm kinda burned out on Mescal. Can't believe he's only 30, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 11, 2023 7:30 AM

[quote]Gee, war and resistance in an occupied area is so much fun, I wonder why we don’t do it all he time

I thought it was quite entertaining, but also pretty silly for a show that's based on historical events. I read the creators called it a 'screwball melodrama'. The French actor from Dix Pour Cent reminded me of Louis de Funès in those Le Gendarme movies. It's pretty similar to Ryan Murphy's 'Hollywood' in a way, style over substance

British actor Luke Thompson looked handsome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 11, 2023 4:52 PM

r30 No surprise there, I thought he was the handsomest part of Bridgerton. Aside from our Johnny, of course.

by Anonymousreply 31May 11, 2023 5:01 PM

Are they cramming anachronistic trans folk in to clever up the title?

by Anonymousreply 32May 11, 2023 5:10 PM

What kind of "Homo stuff" Is he fucking soldiers?

It's on my list, love pre-WW2 dramas.

by Anonymousreply 33May 11, 2023 6:03 PM

[quote]love pre-WW2 dramas

Series takes place during the (very) early days of the German occupation, so it's technically a WW2 drama.

by Anonymousreply 34May 11, 2023 6:21 PM

[quote] Ah, yes, I remember all the blacks in Europe during WW2.

Black Africans? In Marseilles?? Whoever heard of such a thing!

by Anonymousreply 35May 28, 2023 5:23 AM

They need to rename this because when I hear the word Transatlantic all I can think of is the Transatlantic Slave Trade. This is not on that subject so it’s a subversive way to sugar coat history.

by Anonymousreply 36May 28, 2023 5:28 AM

I started watching this for CMS, who is usually the best part of whatever he's in, but it's just so badly written - at least the first episode is. Does it get better?

by Anonymousreply 37May 28, 2023 6:52 AM

just started... so far so good. CMS is kinda cute but not a great actor

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2023 11:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!