Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who is uglier? The Irish or English?

Yes, I know they're different countries, but are they genetically similar in terms of appearance?

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2023 6:42 PM

Waht a stupid question.

They are entirely separate ethnic groups despite being close neighbors geographically.

British DNA is a confluence of many layers of ethnicities, from the pre-Celtic indigenous British islanders to the Celts, followed by Germanic Anglo-Saxon invaders, Jutes and Danes from Scandinavia, Romans from the Mediterranean and Norman Gauls from France. All of these are blended together into a distinctly British DNA signature.

Irish people have their own distinct DNA signatures. There is, again, a base level of indigenous Irish settlers with Celtic immigrants after that, and then people more toward the North, West and South shores have influences primarily from Scandinavian and Roman invaders. People from western Ireland are primarily Celtic blended with a distinct genetic sequence that is most closely related to the Basque people of Spain and France; it is speculated that people fled that area by ship and landed on the west coast of Ireland and assimilated into local populations there.

You may as well ask if Japanese and Congolese people are the same.

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2023 11:29 AM

Are you the Paul Mescal troll?

I said in another thread that Ireland’s greatest sexport was Pierce Brosnan. The Irish and British don’t age well, but Pierce somehow hit the correct genetic lottery.

by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2023 11:55 AM

Do you mean on the inside or the outside, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2023 11:58 AM

R2 Assuming they have a good skincare routine and diet, why wouldn't they age well compared to other white countries?

by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2023 12:01 PM

Lol this thread is heading for disaster.

by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2023 12:02 PM

R4, it’s the yellowed, gnarly teefs that prematurely age them.

by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2023 12:07 PM

R1, your descriptions sound awfully similar. Not sure how the comparison is analogous to Congolese and Japanese.

Maybe you could highlight the differences? Instead of saying what they started out with and then Celts, Romans, Scandinavians, and people from other places. The only differences I can discern in your explanation are what they started out with (and how is this defined and why would it be that different) and the Basque element.

by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2023 12:14 PM

[quote] Assuming they have a good skincare routine and diet, why wouldn't they age well compared to other white countries?

Good skincare and diet don’t replace the inherent bad DNA.

Look at the Windsor men. Charles, Andrew, Edward, William, Harry. All quite handsome until they hit their 30s and when they hit the wall, they hit it hard.

by Anonymousreply 8March 24, 2023 12:17 PM

Most Americans have inherently bad dna.

by Anonymousreply 9March 24, 2023 12:23 PM

R8 But what makes English and Irish DNA so bad? How are the French and Germans so much better?

by Anonymousreply 10March 24, 2023 12:31 PM

The BRF are all unattractive. William and, from what I’ve seen of Edward in pictures, were briefly attractive until maybe early 20s. None of the rest were ever handsome. William’s kids should be interesting because I don’t find any cute, but that might bode well for them to become attractive adults.

by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2023 12:31 PM

This desperate and needy OP cranks them out like diarrhea:

Do brown-eyed actors look better on screen than light-eyed actors? I've noticed that blue and pale green eyes look horrible on screen, like pale, translucent glass. Actors with brown eyes look way better; it actually looks like they do have eyes. Imagine how plain young Johnny Depp or Al Pacino would look with blue eyes.

Brad Pitt vs Johnny Depp. Who's public image is worse? Why compare these two? Because both are/were sex symbol movie stars, both have been accused of domestic violence.

If you had to, which one would you prefer to live with for a month?

Which one seems like a better person?

Also, for fun, describe each one using three adjectives

Does anyone feel uncomfortable and out-of-place in luxurious, fancy locations? Like you're not rich, accomplished or attractive enough to be there. It's probably just low self-esteem, but I'll admit I do feel awkward.

Anyone else?

What's the most brutal obituary you can come up with? Why would you say those things about the deceased?

If you spouse went missing, you'd be the number one suspect. Just wondering how you'd cope with that.

Whenever somebody goes missing, the spouse/partner is often treated with suspicion, even if there's no obvious motive.

So, if your partner vanished and the story got media attention and everyone was wrongly accusing you of being involved, how would you deal with everyone thinking you're a killer? (A body hasn't been found)

Here's a short interview with Richard Satchwell. His wife Tina vanished and everyone thinks he killed her.

Have you ever been obsessed with another person? Was it a famous person or somebody you know in real life?

How did the obsession start and how did it end? Did it ever develop into stalking?

by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2023 12:32 PM

[quote] How are the French and Germans so much better?

The Germans aren’t any better. I think Italian men have the best DNA.

by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2023 12:34 PM

Isn’t the BRF genetically just as German as they are British?

by Anonymousreply 14March 24, 2023 12:34 PM

It's 2023, R14. No, they're not.

by Anonymousreply 15March 24, 2023 12:36 PM

Can someone Oh dear me on the above, but also explain what would be correct? As it is British?

by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2023 12:37 PM

[quote] Isn’t the BRF genetically just as German as they are British?

Prince Philip brought in some Greek DNA. Many Greeks have strong DNA. He also added Danish DNA.

by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2023 12:38 PM

R17, Prince Philip did not have a drop of Greek blood. His Danish family were invited to become the Greek monarchs but they never married ethnic Greeks.

by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2023 12:40 PM

[quote] British DNA is a confluence of many layers of ethnicities, from the pre-Celtic indigenous British islanders to the Celts, followed by Germanic Anglo-Saxon invaders, Jutes and Danes from Scandinavia

Danes?!? I hate Danes!

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2023 12:54 PM

Germanic genetics began with George I. They kept marrying German thereafter. Victoria was German as was Albert. Their son, Edward, married the Danish Alexandra. Their son, George, married the German Mary of Kleptomania 😂 Finally, we get some British in the line by way of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon who was Scottish and married George VI. Calculate their daughter, QEII's, German genetics. But what does she do? She marries German. Philip from the house of Schlessweig- Holstien Sonderburg-Glucksburg on his father's side. His mother was a German Battenburg (later Anglicized to Mountbatten), she and Dickie Mountbatten's father were siblings. With the marriage of Charles to Diana we see substantial English genetics added to the line (Diana's great grandmother, Frances Werk, was an American heiress). And now we have Kate's genes mixed in.

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2023 1:25 PM

Largely correct, R20, but many of those "German" royals and aristocrats had themselves married English, French, Danish, etc., etc. royals, so there's a question as to how German they were to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 21March 24, 2023 1:29 PM

They are both chock full of hotties. Stop seething.

by Anonymousreply 22March 24, 2023 1:47 PM

Oom...sorray oi down’t oonduhstand the questshun🍭🥅🎠🗑🐷🕳💖💭

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 24, 2023 1:57 PM

Pierce looks phenomenal even today ….

by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2023 1:57 PM

I had a layover at Dublin airport this winter and was expecting to see a ton of Jamie Dornan clones but not a single guy caught my eye. The women were also average looking and manly.

by Anonymousreply 25March 24, 2023 2:39 PM

As Dornan is a Northern Irish Protestant by background, then he is likely to be (basically) ethnically British.

by Anonymousreply 26March 24, 2023 3:22 PM

Neither group as ugly as you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 27March 24, 2023 3:24 PM

R1 knows his shit

by Anonymousreply 28March 24, 2023 3:30 PM

Aren't most of the white Americans just Brits and Irish?

by Anonymousreply 29March 24, 2023 3:31 PM

I don't understand why there are so many handsome British men, but the women are generally unattractive. Same is true for the Italians, very large attractiveness gap between the genders.

by Anonymousreply 30March 24, 2023 3:34 PM

Irish for me, their attitude gives them the edge as both are hot to me.

by Anonymousreply 31March 24, 2023 3:35 PM

Having both DNA in me I can say they make for a fine looking man!!

by Anonymousreply 32March 24, 2023 4:54 PM

Isn't the current BRF actually German with a little Greek? They shouldn't be used as representative of the English.

by Anonymousreply 33March 24, 2023 5:14 PM

Troll

by Anonymousreply 34March 24, 2023 5:56 PM

Most of the "black" Irish people I've seen are very attractive. Wonder why that is.

by Anonymousreply 35March 24, 2023 6:11 PM

Nobody's better looking than my Onslo. It has to be the Irish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 24, 2023 6:20 PM

R30 That's the dumbest thing I've heard in my life.

by Anonymousreply 37March 24, 2023 7:30 PM

The Irish are better looking in general, but, of course, they suffer from ( you know).

by Anonymousreply 38March 24, 2023 7:53 PM

Ouch - my people! I'm Irish, English, Scottish, German, Swedish. And, I am very handsome!

by Anonymousreply 39March 24, 2023 8:44 PM

The English are uglier. Look at their football fans.

by Anonymousreply 40March 24, 2023 8:50 PM

Why do I get the feeling OP looks like comic book guy from The Simpsons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 24, 2023 10:37 PM

R29 Actually, German is the most common self-reported heritage of Americans according to this Wikipedia entry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 24, 2023 10:48 PM

trolling trolling trolling

by Anonymousreply 43March 24, 2023 11:04 PM

Re R42 - do Americans look more like Germans then? Who's better looking, Germans or the English?

by Anonymousreply 44March 25, 2023 3:55 AM

Do English women enter into decidedly accelerated aging the way Irish women seem to do?

by Anonymousreply 45March 25, 2023 4:17 AM

[quote] I don't understand why there are so many handsome British men, but the women are generally unattractive. Same is true for the Italians, very large attractiveness gap between the genders.

I’m not sure if I’d say many, but it seems the men are better looking than the women. Even on those dumb Love Island shows the men are usually very good looking, but the women terrible.

by Anonymousreply 46March 25, 2023 4:31 AM

That's true for white people in general. Asian women are better looking than Asian men.

by Anonymousreply 47March 25, 2023 4:33 AM

Certainly the OPPOSITE for us Slavs.

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2023 4:35 AM

I don't know, but I can tell you that the Irish keep their foreskins cleaner than the English do.

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2023 5:28 AM

Re Italian men...despite their beautiful skin and expressive eyes, sadly they all go bald in middle age. The hair transplant clinics in Turkey are a revolving door with distraught Italian men.

The Irish with black hair/blue eyes colouring are gorgeous. But the preponderance of gingers, with their red eyelids, freckles and pale eyelashes, plus the reputation for having the smallest dicks in Europe, works against them.

Some Brits are pre-Raphaelite beauties with delicate features, lovely skin, and blue eyes. But the bad diet, excess drinking, plus a lack of concern about grooming and dental care among many of them is unfortunate.

Except on the south-west coast, the European capital of surfing, the French look like an exhausted race. Men in their 20s with receding hairlines, arms and legs like sticks, and incipient pot bellies from all the white bread they eat...this is common.

A lot of Germans look like butchers...big, beefy, gross.

by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2023 5:45 AM

R48 what are you on about? Slav men are very hot!

by Anonymousreply 51March 25, 2023 6:22 AM

There are very few drop dead gorgeous men over the age of 60, and even by 50 most are looking the worse for wear. But I think Colin Farrell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers are both representative of good looking Irish men. Gerard Butler, though born in Scotland, is from an Irish family. Colin O'Donoghue is a fine figure of a man. Jamie Dornan, Jason O'Mara. All of these men could get it (and do, I'm sure).

by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2023 6:29 AM

The English. Please. Irish are grand altogether.

by Anonymousreply 53March 25, 2023 7:11 AM

what about the welsh

by Anonymousreply 54March 25, 2023 7:28 AM

why is irish considered not white white. Are french like Adrian brody consider white

by Anonymousreply 55March 25, 2023 7:30 AM

Three of Brody's grandparents were Jewish. The fourth was Hungarian. He isn't French.

by Anonymousreply 56March 25, 2023 11:15 AM

I’m in the camp that says I’ve seen several good looking British men who were with women that rated lower on the looks scale.

by Anonymousreply 57March 25, 2023 11:21 AM

Attraction is hard to assess because we can’t define it.

What is attractive on one person doesn’t work for another. For example, thinning hair and baldness was very sexy on Ed Harris, Bruce Willis and Stanley Tucci.

Plus there’s aura (I don’t know what else to call it). Maybe call it magnetism? Hollywood calls it the “It” factor. For example, Liam Neeson is not good looking, but he has what we on DL call Big Dick Energy, which makes him attractive. Same with Sean Penn. He’s always been goofy looking and yet there’s something attractive about him.

by Anonymousreply 58March 25, 2023 11:34 AM

Non angli sed angeli..QED

by Anonymousreply 59March 25, 2023 11:38 AM

Many American movie stars are Irish, have Irish heritage. It's a legacy of vaudeville. There's an odd Nabokov quote I will try to find, but in the US we exalt Nordic childhood, blonde haired blue eyed children, and yet worship the dark haired, broad shouldered Celtic man.

by Anonymousreply 60March 25, 2023 12:22 PM

R54 lush!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 25, 2023 12:42 PM

Spain 🇪🇸 always tops the list for hottest men

by Anonymousreply 62March 25, 2023 1:08 PM

R56- r jews consider white

by Anonymousreply 63March 25, 2023 1:22 PM

FF and block the posho/poo shoes race troll

by Anonymousreply 64March 25, 2023 1:52 PM

R64- just bcoz i called u out fr supporting the kill the gay bill in the uganda, does not mean, u can bully me with mediocre puns

by Anonymousreply 65March 25, 2023 3:02 PM

I’ve always found Irish-American men hot. I went to college with one of the best looking guys I’ve ever seen who was 100% I-A. He had the JFK Jr. look and interestingly also came from an East Coast democratic political family. He became a lawyer and now a judge I believe. Wow, thinking about it, he really did lead JFK Jr. life.

by Anonymousreply 66March 25, 2023 3:42 PM

R66- is this him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 25, 2023 3:47 PM

[quote]Same is true for the Italians, very large attractiveness gap between the genders.

I found this true as well. The women were very hard looking.

by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2023 2:12 AM

Which country has the least attractive people according to Europe...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2023 6:56 AM

What an ugly subject for a post, but perfect for DL, which loves to generalize about ethnic groups in the stupidest ways possible.

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2023 7:01 AM

Has Mrs Councillor Nugent commented?

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2023 6:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!