Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Angela Bassett should have won the Oscar for “What’s Love Got To Do With It?”

I’ve seen all five performances nominated that year, and while I did love Holly Hunter’s silent performance, I still to this day feel Angela was robbed for her portrayal of Tina Turner. The way she moved on that stage was like a Tina clone. She was brilliant. Her acting the entire film was top tier.

What a robbery.

I loved that film. It always upsets me though but I cheer for her when she finally wakes up and escapes that awful man. Burn in hell Ike Turner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 27, 2023 11:22 PM

Yep

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2023 12:22 AM

nah, that fuckery removed her from her scifi trajectory where she was stellar.

by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2023 12:23 AM

Laurence Fishburne was also phenomenal, but there was no way he would beat Tom Hanks that year. The nomination was deserved though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2023 12:23 AM

I'll never understand why she is so muscular and cut. Tina was never like that.

by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2023 12:25 AM

She ran circles around the rest.

by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2023 12:27 AM

R4 ummm because Angela is. Stupid comment.

by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2023 12:27 AM

One of the greatest film performances I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2023 12:28 AM

R4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 24, 2023 12:28 AM

They gave it to Holly Hunter because she deserved it for Broadcast News. She was better than Cher.

by Anonymousreply 9March 24, 2023 12:31 AM

I love Tina Turner and I’m very fond of Angela Bassett, but I’m happy that Holly Hunter won. I also loved Stockard Channing in Six Degrees of Separation. It was a good year.

by Anonymousreply 10March 24, 2023 12:32 AM

Agreed, Angela should have won.

by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2023 12:33 AM

Emma Thompson was also nominated for The Remains of the Day, correct? She had already won but she was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2023 12:36 AM

One could make a case for every actress that year to deserve a win...except Debra Winger. She was fine in Shadowlands, but not Oscar worthy against Angela, Emma, Holly, and Stockard.

by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2023 12:43 AM

Would have given BA to Angela and BSA to Holly for The Firm.

by Anonymousreply 14March 24, 2023 12:48 AM

Anna Paquin was great in The Piano. The only time she’s ever been good.

by Anonymousreply 15March 24, 2023 12:50 AM

Yes, solid performances all around. Angela should have gotten more roles and nominations following this, but it was always going to be Hunter. Bassett edges a little too close to overacting/tv movie territory. The actual movie is not all that hot.

by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2023 1:44 AM

TV movie? Lmaoooo not even slightly.

by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2023 1:46 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2023 1:47 AM

I agree, except that the contemporary worked-out muscle arms she sported in the film was something I always found to be oddly distracting from her portrayal.

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2023 1:50 AM

That’s Basset’s natural build.

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2023 1:55 AM

But so much was made of how much she pumped up for the role, like it was a great accomplishment and a reason why she should be considered great in the role.

by Anonymousreply 21March 24, 2023 4:48 AM

Watched Wakanda yesterday. Nothing special. Don't know why she thought she would win for that except as a makeup award. I'd place her fifth out of the five nominees.

by Anonymousreply 22March 24, 2023 4:49 AM

R22 bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 23March 24, 2023 4:51 AM

Guys: 1993 was the year I played Jude in "Mother's Boys," and created one of my most indelible characters through incandescent artistry. Angela and Holly worked together on one of the first "anti Nepo Baby" campaigns to ensure I was denied a nomination and award! In the decades since, the most respected critics have all agreed that my Jude evoked pity and terror and richly deserved an Oscar, which, some say, may yet be awarded RETROACTIVELY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2023 5:08 AM

I saw a tweet just today that said JLC Oscar campaign this year should be studied and dissected by professionals because her campaign was flawless, unapologetic and merciless. And successful.

by Anonymousreply 25March 24, 2023 5:15 AM

related

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 24, 2023 5:15 AM

R26 which is a repeat of a thread I made about two years ago. Which you know. You have it saved. You saved my old threads and have been posting them as your own over the past few months. Don’t think I don’t know. It’s on file.

by Anonymousreply 27March 24, 2023 5:18 AM

where would you place her then r23

by Anonymousreply 28March 24, 2023 5:20 AM

R28 you didn’t watch it. If you did you wouldn’t say she’s 5th. JLC easily gave a performance that shouldn’t have even been nominated yet alone winning awards.

I would place AB 3rd.

My pick would be Kerry Condon, Hong Chau, Angela Bassett, Stephanie Hsu, JLC.

by Anonymousreply 29March 24, 2023 5:30 AM

the memberships of SAG and the Academy differ in your opinion of Jamie Lee Curtis

by Anonymousreply 30March 24, 2023 5:39 AM

Angela Bassett should have been (at the very least) been nominated for "Waiting to Exhale". Her Oscar is long overdue. I cannot believe JLC gleefully walked over 3 women of color. I will never watch anything Jaimie Lee Curtis is in again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 24, 2023 5:46 AM

You're telling me THIS woman doesn't have an Oscar? But closet case Rami Malek and Jaimie Lee Curtis does? Fuck the Academy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 24, 2023 5:48 AM

[quote] I cannot believe JLC gleefully walked over 3 women of color. I will never watch anything Jaimie Lee Curtis is in again.

So if a person of color is nominated they must always win?

by Anonymousreply 33March 24, 2023 6:01 AM

If this movie was made today, both Fishburne and Basset would win the Academy Awards

by Anonymousreply 34March 24, 2023 6:04 AM

R33 Jaimie Lee Curtis acted like she was entitled to the Oscar. She has no acting range. Her NEPO Oscar was right up there with Gay Ramis Oscar. Undeserved.

by Anonymousreply 35March 24, 2023 6:47 AM

R34 Due to race, not talent.

by Anonymousreply 36March 24, 2023 7:05 AM

R36 well they should have won for talent 30 years ago. Your point doesn't hold.

by Anonymousreply 37March 24, 2023 7:11 AM

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 38March 24, 2023 7:22 AM

All five performances nominated in 1993 would have made worthy winners. One of the rare years that all the nominee's were GREAT.

However, given Holly Hunter swept everything she was unbeatable.

The big shame is that Tina: What's Love Got to Do With didn't happen to get released in 1994. Angela Bassett would have won. I think Jessica Lange in Blue Sky is very good and a great Oscar winning performance but Bassett equals her and being in a film that also did well at the box office would have easily won.

by Anonymousreply 39March 24, 2023 7:26 AM

Fishburne lost to Tom Hanks in Philadelphia which was seen as Hollywood finally addressing the AIDS crisis

by Anonymousreply 40March 24, 2023 8:13 AM

[quote] well they should have won for talent 30 years ago. Your point doesn't hold.

R37 Neither does yours, as it's personal, ergo subjective.

by Anonymousreply 41March 24, 2023 8:18 AM

[quote]was right up there with Gay Ramis Oscar. Undeserved.

Who do you think should have won in Rami's year?

For singer biopics I think you need to do your own singing to deserve an Oscar (Sissy Spacek) etc.

by Anonymousreply 42March 24, 2023 8:43 AM

Unfortunately most actors don't get their Oscars for the performance that deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 43March 24, 2023 8:43 AM

[quote]Fishburne lost to Tom Hanks in Philadelphia which was seen as Hollywood finally addressing the AIDS crisis.

Three years earlier, Bruce Davidson was OSCAR-nominated for the AIDS gay drama "Longtime Companion."

Also, he won the following:

- GOLDEN GLOBE (over eventual Oscar-winner Joes Pesci in "Goodfellas")

- INDEPENDENT SPIRIT AWARD

- NATIONAL SOCIETY OF FILM CRITICS

- NEW YORK FILM CRITICS CIRCLE

- He was runner-up for LOS ANGELES FILM CRITICS ASSOCIATION (Pesci won that one)

- There was no SCREEN ACTORS GUILD award until 1995

- BAFTA went to Salvatore Cascio ("Cinema Paradiso"), who won over Alan Alda ("Crimes and Misdemeanors"), Al Pacino ("Dick Tracy"), and John Hurt ("The Field")

by Anonymousreply 44March 24, 2023 9:26 AM

[quote] Unfortunately most actors don't get their Oscars for the performance that deserves it.

Awards ar subjective. An actor is the recipient of an award because a whole bunch of people considered a wide variety of criterion/rationale and voted for the reecipient. "Deserve" is a poor criterion, because most actors believes that they deserve awards, causing erroneous expectations. Which leads to Angela Basset's most ungracious behavior at this year's Oscar ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 45March 24, 2023 9:43 AM

I wouldn't say "robbed" as that suggests she incontestably gave the "best" performance, which is subjective. 1993 was a strong year, both Holly Hunter & Emma Thompson were giving some of their best work, alongside Angela.

As we know it can often come down to timing. If Cher had won for her terrific work in Silkwood, Holly likely would have won for Broadcast News in 1987. This would have made it more likely (thought not a certainty) Angela could have won here.

by Anonymousreply 46March 24, 2023 9:57 AM

Agree that Debra was the weak link here, she was fine in Shadowlands but I barely remember her compared to Hopkins. Was there any other actress in 1993 who deserved a nomination more?

by Anonymousreply 47March 24, 2023 9:59 AM

R45 Correction: . . .a wide variety of criteria . . .

by Anonymousreply 48March 24, 2023 10:00 AM

[quote]Agree that Debra was the weak link here, she was fine in Shadowlands but I barely remember her compared to Hopkins. Was there any other actress in 1993 who deserved a nomination more?

Debra Winger also had Oscar buzz for A DANGEROUS WOMAN, which was written and directed by Jake Gyllenhaal's parents. Winger went full retard nd was nominated for a Golden Globe and LAFCA.

Incidentally, the trailer features 12-year-old Jake taunting Debra on his bike. 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 24, 2023 10:27 AM

Michelle Pfeiffer in The Age of Innocence was considered a surprise omission.

by Anonymousreply 50March 24, 2023 10:28 AM

that was a low profile film r44 and not the mainstream film Philadelphia was

by Anonymousreply 51March 24, 2023 10:39 AM

Philadelphia was awful.

Saint Gay RIP, and all that.

by Anonymousreply 52March 24, 2023 10:40 AM

R51 but it was embraced by the mainstream, Hollywood awards.

by Anonymousreply 53March 24, 2023 10:54 AM

[quote]the trailer features 12-year-old Jake taunting Debra on his bike

He taunted me by keeping my scarf in his drawer after we broke up. Clearly, he's always been trouble.

by Anonymousreply 54March 24, 2023 4:25 PM

Angela Bassett gave an excellent performance that was beaten out by another excellent performance, so I would not say she was robbed.

It's unfortunate when a deserving actor is nominated in an exceptionally strong field (as 1993 was) and loses, and then the next year is dead (as 1994 was for Best Actress) and a weaker performance coasts to a win, but that's the name of the game. Timing is everything.

She joins Gena Rowlands, Isabelle Adjani, Isabelle Huppert, Sigourney Weaver, Glenn Close, Michelle Pfeiffer, and many more talented actresses who have never won an Oscar. When you look at some of the performances that have won -- Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings, Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side, Jane Fonda for Coming Home -- you realize you can't take the Academy's choices too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 55March 24, 2023 5:58 PM

Angela should have received a nomination for Waiting To Exhale also.

I felt sad when she recently said that Hollywood stopped offering her movie roles for a while after her Oscar nomination 30 years ago, almost as if they were punishing her.

by Anonymousreply 56March 24, 2023 6:08 PM

R55 I've said the same, so annoying when a performance would have won everything had it been released a year earlier or later

by Anonymousreply 57March 24, 2023 6:09 PM

That’s how I feel about Glenn Close with The Wife. If it was released a year later it would have possibly finally won her an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 58March 24, 2023 6:11 PM

R57 Wrong place, wrong time as they say. Some add, maybe she wasn't as good as you thought.

by Anonymousreply 59March 24, 2023 6:22 PM

the arrogance of r29. How dare anyone have an opinion different from theirs. Obviously thousands of people felt Jamie Lee and Kerry Condon did better. Oscar/Bafta.

Bassett won neither. She was just imperious in Wakanda. Nothing she couldn't have done in her sleep. I was expecting a big death scene but that didn't even happen.

by Anonymousreply 60March 25, 2023 2:47 AM

R42 Rami Malek should never have been nominated. He is a lying piece of garbage----LINK...His career seems to be in the dumpster. Where it belongs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 25, 2023 3:43 AM

I see your point now r61.

by Anonymousreply 62March 25, 2023 3:51 AM

The film was brilliant, and one of the better biopics out there. And yes, if there was any film Bassett should have won for, it was this one.

by Anonymousreply 63March 25, 2023 4:10 AM

"Brilliant". R63 it's amazing how liberally that term is applied to anything.

by Anonymousreply 64March 25, 2023 4:38 AM

Except your post, R64z

by Anonymousreply 65March 25, 2023 4:50 AM

[quote]R64z

How embarrassing for you r65

by Anonymousreply 66March 25, 2023 4:54 AM

R31 "Walked over 3 women of color" when she could barely put together a sentence without the words "Michelle Yeoh" the entire awards season. She praised her every chance she got, and if she didn't get a chance to, she created one.

R35 Jamie was the one acting entitled to the award? Who was the one with the bitter, angry facial expression who did not applaud and stayed seated during the standing ovation?

by Anonymousreply 67March 25, 2023 5:06 AM

NO!

That same year when Angela Bassett was nominate for “What’s Love Got To Do With It?” was the same year that Stockard Channing was nominated for "Six Degrees of Separation."

Stockard Channing should have won the Oscar for Best Actress, not Angela Bassett. Instead, Holly Hunter won Best Actress for that awful "The Piano." Stockard Channing was robbed!!

by Anonymousreply 68March 25, 2023 5:09 AM

1994 Oscars: ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

WINNER - HOLLY HUNTER - The Piano

NOMINEES:

ANGELA BASSETT - What's Love Got to Do with It

STOCKARD CHANNING - Six Degrees of Separation

EMMA THOMPSON - The Remains of the Day

DEBRA WINGER - Shadowlands

by Anonymousreply 69March 25, 2023 5:12 AM

R69 = The Piano traumatized me. We didn't have a phrase for TRIGGERING yet but if we did that crapfest would have been labled. It wasn't a great movie as much as it was sick and vile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 25, 2023 5:17 AM

Tina: What's Love Got To Do With It? is a good film elevated by the great performances from Bassett & Fishbourne.

by Anonymousreply 71March 25, 2023 5:17 AM

1994 Oscars: ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE (Laurence Fishburne also did not win for What's Love Got to Do with It, but Tom Hanks was brilliant in Philadelphia)

WINNER - TOM HANKS - Philadelphia

NOMINEES:

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS - In the Name of the Father

LAURENCE FISHBURNE - What's Love Got to Do with It

ANTHONY HOPKINS - The Remains of the Day

LIAM NEESON - Schindler's List

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 25, 2023 5:31 AM

The same Academy who gave Kevin Spacey TWO Oscars. The stories about him were out there for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 25, 2023 5:36 AM

The odd thing is why did Bassett think she'd win? She had lost SAG and Bafta. That pretty much meant it was going to either Curtis or Condon.

by Anonymousreply 74March 25, 2023 6:46 AM

[quote] Angela should have received a nomination for Waiting To Exhale also.

For that stupid soap? Are you joking? All she did in that movie was look pretty.

[quote] I felt sad when she recently said that Hollywood stopped offering her movie roles for a while after her Oscar nomination 30 years ago, almost as if they were punishing her.

That's the epitome of victim signaling. The Oscar is not an employment guarantee and many who won Oscars watched their careers sink after Oscar night. She should be happy she's been working steadily all these years.

by Anonymousreply 75March 25, 2023 6:56 AM

^^Bassett was up for Best Actress--not Supporting Actress. Jamie Lee Curtis won for Best Supporting Actress.

by Anonymousreply 76March 25, 2023 6:56 AM

She was up for Supporting Actress r76.

by Anonymousreply 77March 25, 2023 7:00 AM

Somebody should have slapped her in the face for the way she behaved when JLC won.

It's not much to ask for a smile and polite applause. I used to like her but that reaction has put me right off.

by Anonymousreply 78March 25, 2023 7:01 AM

[quote]For singer biopics I think you need to do your own singing to deserve an Oscar (Sissy Spacek) etc

I thought it was a bit funny (and strange) how in 2004 Jamie Foxx swept the precursors (Golden Globes, SAG, BAFTA) and won the Oscar for Best Actor for lip-synching in RAY, the Ray Charles biopic.

But the following year, Joaquin Phoenix did an impressive job as Johnny Cash in WALK THE LINE and even did his own singing. He was nominated for all the industry awards but only managed to win just Golden Globe (Musical/Comedy) by default.

by Anonymousreply 79March 25, 2023 7:15 AM

2005 was really competitive for Best Actor what with Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Heath Ledger plus Phoenix all giving potentially winning performances.

by Anonymousreply 80March 25, 2023 7:19 AM

[quote] "Brilliant". [R63] it's amazing how liberally that term is applied to anything.

Yeah, I thought it was brilliant, and so was her performance. Tough shit, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 81March 25, 2023 7:41 AM

JAMIE FOXX ("Ray"), MARION COTILLARD ("La Vie en Rose"), and RAMI MALEK ("Bohemian Rhapsody") all won Oscars in the 21st century for lip-synching in biopics about famous singers. 🤔

by Anonymousreply 82March 25, 2023 8:10 AM

Bohemian Rhapsody was so inaccurate it was embarrassing and certainly didn't deserve the praise it got. Even AIDS got shafted in this farce. Rami Malek is doing bit parts now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 25, 2023 8:33 AM

Angela Bassett herself agrees with you wholeheartedly OP. And she's not afraid to say it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 25, 2023 9:45 AM

And the crazy thing about that video above is that she is sitting next to Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson?!?!

by Anonymousreply 85March 25, 2023 9:47 AM

What is all this idiocy about doing your own signing in a biopic? If you can do it fine. But there is a reason the singers that they are making the biopics about are having a biopic made about them in the first place - Because they are amazing talents and NO ONE ELSE can sing like them. They are giant stars for their singing ability. And you expect some actor to just come along and replicate it on film? Again, if you can do it, get away with it, great. But I seriously don't care if someone lip-synchs to a singers performance. I never got that argument.

by Anonymousreply 86March 25, 2023 9:55 AM

All the recent Broadway bio-musicals had people sing like the original including Tina.

by Anonymousreply 87March 25, 2023 11:29 PM

Why was she allowed to sit in the front row? Shouldn't she have been in the back?

by Anonymousreply 88March 26, 2023 6:28 AM

[quote]I thought it was a bit funny (and strange) how in 2004 Jamie Foxx swept the precursors (Golden Globes, SAG, BAFTA) and won the Oscar for Best Actor for lip-synching in RAY, the Ray Charles biopic.

Jamie Foxx was brilliant as Ray Charles. He played most of the piano parts and did some of the singing as Ray Charles as well.

He really deserved those awards. Very multi talented guy!

by Anonymousreply 89March 27, 2023 12:51 PM

Jamie Foxx is a great actor who can disappear into each part. He more than deserved that Oscar. DESERVED, not thought he deserved.

by Anonymousreply 90March 27, 2023 11:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!