Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sweeny Cunt

The character Sweeney Todd originated in serialized Victorian popular fiction, known as penny dreadfuls. A story called The String of Pearls was published in a weekly magazine during the winter of 1846–47

Eventually it made it to Broadway. The musical was based on Christopher Bond's 1973 play Sweeney Todd, which introduced a psychological backstory and motivation to Todd's crimes.

When Sondheim first brought the idea for the show to director Harold Prince, his frequent collaborator, Prince was uninterested, feeling it was a simple melodrama but it could be OK with the right star.

Sondheim thought stage veteran Angela Lansbury would add some needed comedy to the grim tale as the lunatic Cockney shopkeeper, but Lansbury needed to be convinced. When asked to do it she replied, "I am a STAR. And said to Sondheim, "Your show is not called 'Nellie Lovett', it's called 'Sweeney Todd'.

What an EGO

She finally agreed to do it provided she get approval on all her songs and the final say on who would play the tortured barber. She agreed to allow Len Cariou to be on stage with her

Angela later said, "I was left to my own devices and had to reinvent the character of Mrs. Lovett and I played her cuckoo style

Len Cariou said she completely took over everything and the entire cast had to run with it her way or else

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2023 8:00 PM

I can't listen to Angela Lansbury's strangled singing voice. I've never enjoyed a musical performance of hers.

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2023 11:54 PM
by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2023 2:27 PM

Sounds about right

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2023 1:41 PM
by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2023 8:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!