Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Robert Downey Jr to remake “Vertigo”

Film twitter preemptively cancels him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 27, 2023 3:44 PM

Note to Hollywood: Heaven forbid you should make something original

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2023 8:33 PM

Kim Kardashian will replace Kim Novak, who herself will have a cameo as the bell-ringing nun.

God have mercy on us all.

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2023 8:35 PM

R1 My thoughts, exactly. It's certainly not going to be better than the original, why bother.

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2023 8:37 PM

WHY?

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2023 8:40 PM

Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2023 8:41 PM

Remaking a legendary classic film by Alfred Hitchcock.

What could possibly go wrong?

I love RDJ and I'm happy to see him move on from comic book films or move back to real movies again or whatever. This is not the way to do it. This is a very bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2023 8:42 PM

In my dreams I wish Kenneth Branagh would have done it.

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2023 8:46 PM

If DL had its way, nothing would ever be made and we would watch nothing but Golden Girls reruns. The Spielberg West Side Story remake was good. The Cooper remake of a Star is Born was good. Maybe we should wait until a thing actually exists before we demand it’s abortion like a bunch of foaming at the mouth Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2023 8:47 PM

Because it worked out so well when they remade Psycho with Vince Vaughn and Anne He He.

There are zillions of interesting stories to be told, why can't Hollywood do something original?

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2023 8:48 PM

I'm sure this will interest me just as much as his Iron Man appearances have.

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2023 8:59 PM

If they insist on doing re-makes they need to stay away from great classic films. Going toe to toe with Alfred Hitchcock and Jimmy Stewart is a recipe for losing.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2023 9:01 PM

Blah, blah. More insipid “standards” from risk-adverse DLers who have never created anything.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2023 9:05 PM

HORRIBLE idea. Was nothing learned from the Psycho remake?

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2023 9:14 PM

How many of you HATED

EEAAO?

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2023 9:16 PM

You’re asking people who post literally hundreds of replies on a thread about the opening credits of Three’s Company.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2023 9:21 PM

And haven't some people come out recently and called the original sexist? It doesn't seem like a good idea at all.

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2023 9:22 PM

Maybe they are going to gender swap the roles and Laverne Cox is playing Scotty.

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2023 9:25 PM

If you're not going to do it with Liza, don't do it at all.

by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2023 9:27 PM

[quote] Steven Knight To Write Script

Judging by his previous effort he will demand that a Jamaican woman will play the Kim Novak role

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2023 10:24 PM

I don't like the scriptwriter nor the haggard-looking star.

But the confusing, ambiguous story about the twin-women could be fleshed out.

But this remake NEEDS the Bernard Hermann score to be halfway as interesting as the original.

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2023 10:32 PM

Hollywood has been remaking movies since the 1930’s when they remade silent movies into talkies.

There’s nothing wrong with retelling good stories. Stories have to be reinterpreted and adapted into contemporary settings for newer audiences.

by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2023 10:39 PM

True r21, but the problem is they always want to remake the ones that were done right the first time. (In fairness, there are the perennials like a Star is Born, but still...) What they really should do is dig out a near-miss and try to do it right this time around.

by Anonymousreply 22March 23, 2023 10:42 PM

WHO is today’s Barbara Bel Geddes?

by Anonymousreply 23March 23, 2023 10:49 PM

Viola Davis is today’s Barbara Bel Geddes.

by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2023 10:50 PM

Laverne Cox will play Madeline/Judy.

Sam Smith will play the Barbara Bel Geddes role of Midge.

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2023 10:51 PM

R22 That were liked?

I mean I just imagine Hollywood stories going on the same way plays have. No one rolls their eyes when “Medea” goes for its millionth run over the last 2,500 years.

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2023 10:54 PM

So let Downey prove he has no box office appeal unless his fake heart is aglow with sarcasm.

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2023 10:58 PM

[quote] “Medea” … its millionth run.

You are too generous.

by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2023 11:04 PM

Agree R21. Nothing's inherently wrong with doing a remake, IMO. However, Vertigo is just bad from the start. The whole plot about some dumbo who thinks his dead wife has come back to life.

by Anonymousreply 29March 23, 2023 11:14 PM

So many film makers reference "Vertigo". How can one not be influenced by it? However, I don't have much desire to see an on the nose "remake". Seems rather basic. if that would be the case. David Lynch's "Lost Highway" has elements of "Vertigo" and I appreciate and enjoy seeing the seeds of inspiration and the Hitchcock original's effect on other film makers. "Eo" was a fantastic watch this year and certainly influenced by Bresson's masterpiece "Au Hasard Balthazar" but a totally new take on elements of it by Jerzy Skolimowski. Sounds more like an idea pitched in a corporate meeting than a passion project. Who knows?

by Anonymousreply 30March 23, 2023 11:16 PM

It's a weird film to remake because the actual murder plot doesn't make very much sense. How did the coroner never discover that the real Madeline was completely drugged up when she was thrown from the rooftop? (That would not have accorded at all with Scottie's story of her suicide.) How did Gavin Elstir ever get down the stairs of the tower after everyone had gathered to see the real Madeline's corpse below it? Why would Judy have been sentimental about keeping the Carlotta Valdez necklace, which would have almost certainly reminded her more of Elstir (who betrayed her and discarded her) and his scheme than of Scottie?

by Anonymousreply 31March 23, 2023 11:18 PM

Psssst r31

The second half of Vertigo is catatonic Scotty’s dream

by Anonymousreply 32March 23, 2023 11:20 PM

The second part of the story is confusing. And Hitchcock made two versions of it.

by Anonymousreply 33March 23, 2023 11:22 PM

They already remade Vertigo during the Ciji / Cathy Geary storyline on Knots Landing…is Lisa Hartman available?

by Anonymousreply 34March 23, 2023 11:24 PM

[quote] Remaking a legendary classic film by Alfred Hitchcock.

Not just that, but remaking what many consider the best Hitchcock and the best film ever made. Why, God, why?

by Anonymousreply 35March 23, 2023 11:32 PM

Part of the reason this is so offensive to many people (at least those with a knowledge of show business) is that Steven Knight is an absolutely prodigious shit-factory, not seen since the likes of Akiva Goldsman in the 90s. In the millisecond that Warner Bros. was considering a new Superman film with Henry Cavill, Knight even shat out a treatment for that (it was apparently not good.) He just shits scripts after coffee. So there’s no pretense of thoughtful people doing this, just vain and egocentric show biz parasites shitting on a beloved classic.

by Anonymousreply 36March 23, 2023 11:35 PM

The source material is way darker than the movie. Vertigo was adapted from the French novel “D'entre les morts.”

Basically, in the book, when the Jimmy Stewart character realizes Judy plotted together with Madeleine’s husband, that the two of them were having an affair…and—most importantly—that he had never met the real Madeleine, he strangles Judy and turns himself in. Very French. That would be more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 37March 23, 2023 11:37 PM

[quote] Steven Knight is an absolutely prodigious shit-factory

Steven Knight is this year's fad and next year's embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 38March 23, 2023 11:37 PM

Another reason this is so offensive is that filmmakers have been remaking Vertigo for fifty years. Brian de Palma did it twice! But no one had the lack of shame to do an outright remake, name and rights and all. This was wildly unnecessary and simply done to piss off people.

by Anonymousreply 39March 23, 2023 11:47 PM

Agree this is not needed. Hitchcock was an auteur, I think it's mildly disrespectful to redo their work. Will someone try to remake "Pulp Fiction" in 30 years?

by Anonymousreply 40March 23, 2023 11:50 PM

How dare they!

by Anonymousreply 41March 23, 2023 11:52 PM

[quote]The second half of Vertigo is catatonic Scotty’s dream

That's one interpretation of it that is by no means standard, and is neither a convincing nor a very interesting one.

by Anonymousreply 42March 23, 2023 11:52 PM

I only appreciated seeing this movie while I watched on the big screen.

I adored the music and was fascinated by the PIRANDELLO aspects to the characters.

(unfortunately I think the 2 main actors are hopeless)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 24, 2023 12:02 AM

[quote]Kim Novak, who herself will have a cameo as the bell-ringing nun.

I would prefer Kim Novak in the Grandma Walton role.

by Anonymousreply 44March 24, 2023 12:13 AM

Well, there's...

Psycho (1960) and Psycho (1998)

Strangers on a Train and Once You Meet a Stranger

Rear Window (1954) and Rear Window (1998)

Shadow of a Doubt (1943) and Shadow of a Doubt (1991)

Rebecca (1940) and Rebecca (2021)

The Lady Vanishes (1938) and The Lady Vanishes (1979)

...and we all know how that went.

by Anonymousreply 45March 24, 2023 1:50 AM

R37, I thought the movie was based on Sueurs Froides.

by Anonymousreply 46March 24, 2023 1:58 AM

[quote] Sueurs Froides

Frigid sisters?

by Anonymousreply 47March 24, 2023 2:11 AM

Has Kim Novak reported another rape yet?

by Anonymousreply 48March 24, 2023 2:22 AM

DL Faves Charlotte Kirk as Judy (she can relate) and Melissa Beth Miller as Midge.

by Anonymousreply 49March 24, 2023 2:33 AM

I'm available!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 24, 2023 2:40 AM

R29 That’s not it at all but bless your heart for trying.

by Anonymousreply 51March 24, 2023 2:40 AM

[quote]the Jimmy Stewart character realizes Judy plotted together with Madeleine’s husband, that the two of them were having an affair…and—most importantly—that he had never met the real Madeleine, he strangles Judy

That makes sense in the movie as well. Why did Scott drag Judy to the tower if not to throw her out one of the windows, to die like Madeline supposedly died? Instead, a never before seen nun suddenly scares into jumping. I understood the whole nun thing - but it works as a substitute for an unpalatable ending.

by Anonymousreply 52March 24, 2023 2:46 AM

I took the message to be *nuns kill*.

by Anonymousreply 53March 24, 2023 2:57 AM

Albert Hitchcock was a genius. His films cannot be remade; every attempt was a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 54March 24, 2023 2:57 AM

R54 OH DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 55March 24, 2023 2:59 AM

R45, there was another remake of Shadow Of A Doubt made in 1958 called Step Down To Terror, with Charles Drake in the Joseph Cotten role.

R39, I know De Palma's Obsession is a quasi-remake of Vertigo (and not a good one either). What was the other?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 24, 2023 3:15 AM

The thing with Hitchcock is his movies were, for how much fun they are, still extremely personal and awash in shit his weird fucked up fat ass was obsessed with. And none more than Vertigo, which doesn’t have to make logical sense — it’s a tour through that man’s neuroses. Remaking it isn’t the same as restaging Hamlet., which was written with the intention of being retold by different people in different form, as all theater is. Hitchcock was barfing out his subconscious feelings into a nonsense plot and that weirdness, particular to that man, is what made any of it memorable

by Anonymousreply 57March 24, 2023 3:40 AM

[quote] The thing with Hitchcock is his movies are awash in shit his weird fucked up fat ass

Oh dear. I'll quote this in my EFL Class tonight.

by Anonymousreply 58March 24, 2023 3:44 AM

It’s show business not show art. If they think they can make a dollar (which is debatable given previous Hitchcock remakes) they’ll do it. That’s the movies. Sure sometimes something deeper manages to get through the system but it’s rare. It’s just about dollars and that’s not new. Shrug.

by Anonymousreply 59March 24, 2023 4:15 AM

I feel like “Frenzy” would be a worthy remake.

I don’t feel like it’s an untouchable classic of his and it’s a remake that could actually be a hit.

by Anonymousreply 60March 24, 2023 5:20 AM

[quote] “Frenzy”

It was so tawdry.

One reason being he couldn't get the stars he wanted.

by Anonymousreply 61March 24, 2023 5:33 AM

I'm not sure he needed the stars he couldn't get: the cast was convincingly tawdry and good, as required.

by Anonymousreply 62March 24, 2023 5:35 AM

He wanted Michael Caine instead of Barry Foster (but I personally think Caine is as tawdry as Foster).

I heard there was talk of one actor playing a double role; Foster and Ian Finch.

by Anonymousreply 63March 24, 2023 5:40 AM

R7 Why?

by Anonymousreply 64March 24, 2023 5:41 AM

Fuck off. Make your own movies. Stop stealing mine.

Just because you've inherited the rights does not make it yours. Have some respect. If we didn't make movies, you wouldn't have a job

by Anonymousreply 65March 24, 2023 7:41 AM

R46

No, it was D'entre les morts. Sueurs froides (Cold sweat) is the title sometimes given to the film Vertigo in French.

by Anonymousreply 66March 25, 2023 5:20 PM

R60

Right. Remake a film with a scene in which a woman being raped and murdered is made to look humorous. It was offensive when Frenzy came out.

by Anonymousreply 67March 25, 2023 5:22 PM

R59

Speaking only in terms of dollars, I don't think a film about a damaged older man who dominates and remakes a young woman to conform to his necrophiliac fantasy* is going to be very popular.

*Hitchcock said it was about a man who wanted to sleep with a dead woman. He demanded that Coit Tower be visible in the scenes from Scottie's apartment because it was a phallic symbol.

by Anonymousreply 68March 25, 2023 5:28 PM

R53

The Vertigo allusion at the start of Psycho III is hilarious and very "nuns kill."

by Anonymousreply 69March 25, 2023 5:31 PM

R52

I read it as Scottie wanting to confront her with what she'd done, not that he necessarily planned to kill her. The nun popping up always seemed contrived to me and Madeleine's death was shocking but funny.

by Anonymousreply 70March 25, 2023 5:33 PM

R29

Ask for a refund on your copy of CliffsNotes.

by Anonymousreply 71March 25, 2023 5:36 PM

R66, it looks like it's been published under both titles. From WIkipedia:

[quote]The novel was originally published in France as D’entre les morts in 1954. After the release of Hitchcock’s film adaptation in 1958, all subsequent French editions were retitled Sueurs froides ('Cold Sweat') to match the French release title of the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 25, 2023 6:11 PM

Who's directing it

by Anonymousreply 73March 26, 2023 12:08 AM

Vertigo

a film by McG

starring Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow

I can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 74March 26, 2023 12:34 AM

R72

No, the book it was based on, which is what you wrote, was "D'Entre les morts." According to your post, it was only after the film that it was retitled.

by Anonymousreply 75March 27, 2023 2:55 PM

Except this time it’s accurately titled “Agoraphobia”.

by Anonymousreply 76March 27, 2023 3:29 PM

Remake the greatest film of a great director with iconic stars forever known for these roles? Sure, why not? Is Downey back on drugs?

by Anonymousreply 77March 27, 2023 3:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!