Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Body of popular Bay area radio host Jeffrey "JV" Vandergrift found at Pier39

any DLers in the Bay Area know about this man? It's trending on twitter

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — The body of radio host Jeffrey “JV” Vandergrift was found in the San Francisco Bay by Pier 39 on Wednesday, according to the Chief Medical Examiner. He was 55.

The discovery marked a tragic end to a one-month-long search for the beloved longtime radio host. Vandergrift was reported missing to the San Francisco Police Department on February 23.

Police found his body just before 5 p.m. Wednesday and said there was no evidence of foul play. A coroner has not yet confirmed the Bay Area icon’s official cause of death.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner notified Vandergrift’s family. Natasha Yi, his wife and “The JV Show” co-host, said on March 1 that personal information indicating “JV will not be coming back” had been found.

Yi wrote at the time, “I tell you this with incredible pain and sadness in my heart. My heart is utterly broken.” She thanked friends and radio listeners “for your love, support and prayers. I can feel your love and energy for JV, and I am so grateful for it.”

Vandergrift hosted his radio show on the same day he vanished. He spoke candidly to WiLD 94.9 listeners about suffering from Lyme disease. “The body and the pain and all that stuff, I can handle. What it’s doing to my brain, I could never describe to you,” JV said.

In a blog post titled “JV’s Journey,” he described “strange surges in my head,” brain fog, anxiety, and depression. The Fremont native was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 2021.

WiLD 94.9 wrote in a statement Thursday, “With a heavy heart, we must confirm that the body found near Pier 39 on Wednesday afternoon has been identified as our dear friend, family member & colleague, JV. We are devastated to know now that JV is gone. JV, we’ll miss you. You are forever a Bay Area Icon.”

Radio hosts Graham and Selena have kept “The JV Show” on the air despite struggling with sadness and grief. During one episode when Vandergrift was still missing, Graham tearfully told listeners, “He’s been a part of so many people’s lives. So many people have said, ‘I never met JV personally, but I know him personally. I feel like I know him.’ That’s what makes this even more difficult.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2023 1:07 PM
by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2023 10:29 PM

I hope Greg has a good alibi.

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2023 10:51 PM

R2 Greg doesn’t do radio I bet. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2023 11:10 PM

Wifey is suss.

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2023 11:21 PM

Which one of ya did it?

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2023 11:29 PM

I don’t listen to pop radio, because I’m 104, but years ago he used to have a short segment on the morning news. I thought he was funny and I knew what the young people were hip to because of what I learned during his little spot on Kron-4 News.

by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2023 12:02 AM

[quote] "Jeffrey “JV” Vandergrift"

I know this is the accepted form, but it's redundant..

by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2023 12:16 AM

R7 JV is the name most of his listeners knew him by

by Anonymousreply 8March 24, 2023 1:43 AM

[quote] I hope Greg has a good alibi.

In the words of Velma Kelly, he had it coming.

by Anonymousreply 9March 24, 2023 2:34 AM

Was it suicide or murder?

by Anonymousreply 10March 24, 2023 2:36 AM

Jessica, how about a nice cup of tea?

by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2023 2:54 AM

I wonder where he caught Lyme disease.

by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2023 2:59 AM

[quote] [R2] Greg doesn’t do radio I bet. Lol.

I know this will invite ridicule, but I listen to NPR when I’m in the car.

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2023 1:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!