Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alfred Brendel

A performer of world renown, his career spanned seven decades. He is particularly known for his interpretations of Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, and Liszt.

An Austrian who has lived in the UK for many years, he was born in 1931 in what is now the Czech Republic. Although not born into a musical family, he began playing the piano aged six and gave his first recital at 17. Largely self taught, in addition to his live performances he has enjoyed a long and successful recording career. Revered for his intellect and individual and original take on the world, he is also a published poet and essayist.

He says, "I regard pessimism as a sign of intelligence. Optimism is a very welcome and life enhancing feature, a gift, but not necessarily a realistic outlook. I am a pessimist who enjoys being pleasantly surprised."

Let's discuss the Austria pianist Alfred Brendel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 30, 2023 2:36 AM

Beethoven's Fifth Piano Concerto, The Emperor

With Kurt Masur conducting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2023 2:55 PM

Alfred Brendel Desert Island Discs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2023 2:56 PM

His second Desert Island Discs Appearance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2023 2:56 PM

Brendel in Brahms Piano Concerto No 1

with Claudio Abbado conducting the Berlin Philharmonic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2023 2:57 PM

He wears plastic fingertips when he plays

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2023 3:09 PM

The first classical CD I bought was Brendel's Schubert Piano Sonata No. 21 and Wanderer Fantasy. It was playing in a record store and I fell instantly in love. I had to have it. And that was the beginning of a collecting obsession. It came along at just the right time, in the '80s just as CD was becoming the dominant medium.

I also like his early Philips series of Mozart Piano Concertos and Sonatas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2023 3:30 PM

R6 Wow! Thank you for sharing. I am going to have to give this a listen.

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2023 9:17 PM

This is the CD, r7.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2023 10:21 PM

R8 beautiful! any other recordings of his you like?

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2023 10:59 PM

El Brendel is known as one of the more annoying film comedians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 24, 2023 2:37 AM

Moonlight Sonata..nobody does it better. His touch is immaculate. In fact, any Beethoven. He is the Master of Mr. B.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2023 2:58 AM

r9, I like all of Brendel's 1970s recordings of Schubert's piano sonatas, Beethoven's piano sonatas, and Mozart's piano concertos. If you're planning to buy CDs, here's the 1970s Beethoven box set, which also includes the piano concertos.

You'll find the 1970s Schubert on You Tube. I don't think there's a box set of CDs, but there are some twofers on the Philips Duo label.

You'll recognize the Mozart piano concertos because they're conducted by Neville Marriner and performed by the Academy of St. Martin in the fields.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2023 4:37 AM

I agree! The ONLY Beethoven piano player I like better is Anatol Ugorski playing Beethoven's Piano Sonata No 32

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2023 1:56 PM

I love Alfred Brendel. No need for pretty faces or trendy clothes. Pure talent.

This almost makes me cry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 24, 2023 9:54 PM

He looks like Michael Caine

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2023 2:27 PM

Any other recordings you like?

by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2023 2:51 AM

Did he known Eric Porter?

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2023 5:23 AM

[quote]Any other recordings you like?

It's not Brendel, but one of my favorite Schubert CD sets is by Andras Schiff and Peter Schreier. It's got Schwanengesang, Die Schone Mullerin, and Winterreise. 3 CDs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2023 9:35 AM

R18 thank you! I will give it a listen.

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2023 1:16 PM

r12 here again. I've been listening to Brendel's 1970s Philips box set for the last few days. It brings me such joy when I'm feeling low, which I am right now. Thank you, OP, for starting this thread, for this is how I came to start listening to Brendel again.

Here's the second movement of piano sonata #16. It's not one most people are familiar with, but it's one of my favorites. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2023 2:59 PM

R20 beautiful. absolutely beautiful

by Anonymousreply 21April 24, 2023 5:48 PM

He is Alfred Brendel!

by Anonymousreply 22December 30, 2023 2:18 AM

A great pianist

by Anonymousreply 23December 30, 2023 2:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!