Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sentimental Value: tell me about your tchotchkes

Tell me about little items you cherish which call up remembrance of things past. The less valuable, the better. It needn't be a trinket either - locks of hair, ticket stubs, a one-of-a-kind family photo...

I have a little brass letter-opener in the shape of a sword that I was fiddling with when I told my sister I was gay.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2023 6:21 PM

That should be "summon up remembrance of things past".

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2023 1:48 PM

I'm going to give this thread one last push, because I know you broads have probably collected some interesting stuff over the years and, also, it's Saturday, so perhaps you'll be in the mood for a trip down memory lane.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2023 2:07 PM

* and this isn't an info fishing expedition. Like I said, the more "valueless", the better.

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2023 2:13 PM

My mom still mails me handwritten letters, and I've saved them all in a folder. It's one of the things I'll grab if my apartment is on fire.

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2023 2:16 PM

I have a shoebox I stuff random things in. I just had a peak and it includes things like:

* all the bibs from the times I've done the 5 boro bike tour * the notes I had for what I wanted to say at my dad's funeral * a speeding ticket I got in MA * a piece of yellow police tape that reads "FUCK OFF" that I found in Zucotti Park during Occupy * a juror badge from federal jury duty * a nice-looking cardstock ticket for when The XX was giving really small (20-person) concerts at the Park Ave Armory * a napkin soaked with my tears from when I lost it in Bryant Park after receiving some devastating news about a decade ago

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2023 2:30 PM

^^Yikes, sorry about the formatting issues. I swear I had line breaks in it when I posted.

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2023 2:31 PM

When my Nana went into the hospital back in the mid 70s I gave her a little stuffed animal named Bippy. When she died 10 years later my mom found Bippy among her belongings and gave him back to me. I've kept him in my bedroom ever since. It's the only thing I have that belonged to her.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2023 2:47 PM

My dad labored hard as an electrician and wore cheap Timex watches, anything nice would get banged up. I keep his last Timex in my nightstand and I get a glimpse of it nearly every day.

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2023 5:54 PM

R6 I think line breaks are cured by

doubling up. Hit return twice.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2023 6:01 PM

I have a Bible which once belonged to my grandfather , he died iover 20nl years ago. I rarely use this Bible but seeing it everyday reminds me of innocent times, days gone by, happier times

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2023 6:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!