Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Canada's population grew by record 1 million in 2022

An almost 3% increase in their national population in just one year. Fastest-growing G7 country. Third largest population of Ukrainians in the world next to Ukraine and Russia.

[quote]Total population grew by a record 1.05 million people to 39.57 million in 2022, and about 96% of the rise was due to international migration. Canada depends on immigration to drive its economy and support an aging population.

They finally have more bussy than California, for the first time since the mid '80s. Good for them!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2023 12:29 AM

I have to deal with Ukrainian refugees all the time at work. I know they just came from a war-torn country and all but maybe dial down the fucking cuntiness a bit?

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2023 8:22 AM

I hear Ukrainians aren't that difficult to deal with at all. They're widely known as hard workers and low on drama.

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2023 8:29 AM

I deal with Ukrainian refugees as well. Not at all difficult.

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2023 8:40 AM

Canada always has the largest populations of Ukrainians outside of Ukraine and Russia, hence why so many refugees went there.

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2023 8:44 AM

r4 I just looked it up and you're right. I had no idea, I'd have guessed Poland or the US instead.

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2023 8:49 AM

We’ll see what happens to Canadian virtue signaling a few years from now, when they’re social programs are strained, housing availability is severely depleted, and crime sky-rockets.

by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2023 8:51 AM

That's all still preferable to a country's population cratering because it's vaxxed against immigration out of principle. Canada will be the one laughing by the end of the century when Japan will have lost a third of its people, as current UN projections show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2023 9:04 AM

Muslims are furious the Ukrainians were fast tracked to Canada while they've been waiting much longer.

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2023 9:09 AM

Ukrainians typically work, so doubt there will be strains in social programs. There will be in schools and possibly healthcare, though most refugees are young and healthy. Similarly, crime is not likely to rise. Syrians, the last set of refugees admitted, generally have not been criminals. Somalis are disproportionately represented in crime. If your car is stolen in Alberta, it’s likely been stolen by a Somali gang. They’re also involved in the drug trade, but that activity is widespread, in terms of who is involved.

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2023 9:13 AM

Also, there were 132,000 Ukrainian refugees admitted to Canada in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2023 9:16 AM

[quote]Somalis are disproportionately represented in crime.

Canadian law enforcement is prohibited from compiling ethnicity-based crime statistics, so how would you know that?

[quote]They’re also involved in the drug trade, but that activity is widespread, in terms of who is involved.

I agree with that bit. Dublin is currently the cocaine capital of Europe and that's all on the Irish themselves.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2023 9:20 AM

Because I work in the court system. It’s not exactly secret.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2023 9:23 AM

It's also not a secret that the minority with the darkest skin complexion would face the biggest obstacles when trying to thrive in a new society.

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2023 9:31 AM

Meh, I also know a lot of Nigerians and Filipinos, and they’re thriving.

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2023 9:36 AM

Many Indians have much darker complexion (compared to Syrians, etc) and are not criminals.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2023 9:40 AM

Good for Canada. It's nice to see some relatively positive news.

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2023 9:44 AM

R15 - I don't know if it's fair to compare Syrians with Indians.

The Indians who have come here don't come from the dire circumstances that the Syrians have - people who've fled their country because of civil war and who may have lost everything but the clothes on their back.

I think when people come here willingly and with some sort of plan and a reasonable set of expectations, it's easier to make the transition to a new country with a different culture.

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2023 10:17 AM

Canada welcomes anyone from countries who hate gays.

by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2023 8:10 PM

Lots of Indians are involved in the drug trade. Almost all of them grew up in Canada, many born here.

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2023 7:16 AM

R18, Canada is one of the most pro-gay countries in the world. It decriminalized homosexuality many years before the U.S. did, and also legalized gay marriage before the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2023 7:46 AM

R20 Canada IS one of the most pro-gay countries. Recent arrivals are not. Hostility towards homosexuals is something they hold tightly.

by Anonymousreply 21March 24, 2023 10:04 PM

Lol, the lies in this thread about Ukrainians not being difficult. They are renowned for their extreme cuntiness. Which is why I don't care one lick about that so-called war.

by Anonymousreply 22March 24, 2023 10:11 PM

What's up with the troll defending homophobic muslims? Why are you in denial about their crime rates?

by Anonymousreply 23March 24, 2023 10:14 PM

Canada has crackhead politicians and housing shortages due to money laundering. The Canadian public health care is being purposely run down to facilitate a transfer to a privatized system.

by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2023 10:21 PM

The few Ukrainian refugees I've met have not been nice people.

by Anonymousreply 25March 24, 2023 11:05 PM

[quote] I hear Ukrainians aren't that difficult to deal with at all. They're widely known as hard workers and low on drama.

lmao.

by Anonymousreply 26March 24, 2023 11:13 PM

[quote]Lol, the lies in this thread about Ukrainians not being difficult. They are renowned for their extreme cuntiness. Which is why I don't care one lick about that so-called war.

You're a true humanitarian.

by Anonymousreply 27March 24, 2023 11:18 PM

I interact with Ukrainian refugees daily. I haven’t met any that are entitled. The first thing they ask is where they can find a job. Most are working 40 plus hours a week within 2 months of arriving in Canada.

Maybe you’re the problem r25 and r26.

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2023 5:51 AM

Their country is infamously corrupt. If they're nice to you it's because you can do something for them, though that's not unique to Ukrainians, r28.

Let's not forget what they did to African students studying in their country, trying to escape their war.

They've been attacking gay bars in their own country.

Like many eastern Europeans, they want accommodation in western countries whilst not wanting to provide it to people from outside Europe, just like the Poles and Hungarians.

Whatever they manage to grab from the ruins of their country after they win, I don't think they'll be more western, in any way, shape or form.

I'll wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2023 11:20 AM

“Everyone there will give big cheer”

“Everyone there will have moved here”

by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2023 12:58 PM

Wrong, r29. I am half Ukrainian and speak Ukrainian fluently. I lived in Ukraine for a period. I have an MA in Ukrainian history. Ukrainians are like everyone else, with good and bad. But overall, I have found them to be decent people. The only ones I found to be entitled are former commies and their children. They are a minority.

As for gays, Ukraine repealed the criminal prohibition against homosexuality immediately on declaring independence. There are gay bars in Kyiv, no one bothers them. I have an openly gay cousin in Kyiv (working in China for four years). He had no issues with neighbours or in the streets. He is a long haired twink who dresses outlandishly, so he’s not exactly hiding. He decided as a teenager that he is who he is, and didn’t care who knew. It was only an issue for his grandfather, a former commie alcoholic homophobe. But the grandfather died, thanks to five decades of alcoholism.

I don’t think Ukraine should be Western, any more than Poland or the Czech Republic are Western. They do need to rid themselves of Soviet era levels of corruption. That will be a huge undertaking.

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2023 10:16 PM

[quote] I have to deal with Ukrainian refugees all the time at work. I know they just came from a war-torn country and all but maybe dial down the fucking cuntiness a bit?

Moping won't make it better!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2023 10:24 PM

Does Canada have high paying jobs like America? I'm looking to move there

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2023 10:43 PM

It depends on the industry r33. Cost of living is higher in Canada than in the US.

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2023 11:15 PM

It also varies by province. Vancouver, for example, is expensive because of housing costs. Same with Toronto. Their food costs are lower than in Alberta. Montreal is lovely, but it’s difficult to make a good career there without French fluency.

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2023 11:18 PM

R1 - as someone of Ukrainian descent - yes.

by Anonymousreply 36March 25, 2023 11:19 PM

[quote]I don’t think Ukraine should be Western, any more than Poland or the Czech Republic are Western.

None of these countries are currently (fully) western because they were forced to rot away in the USSR for decades and wasted a tremendous amount of potential that way. Same for the Baltics -- just compare them to their Nordic neighbours. Also, you need to define what "western" means to you. Having low levels of corruption? Same-sex marriage being legal? The McDonald's franchise operating in the country? Liberal democracy? All of the above? Because Czechia is pretty much there and Poland will get there once the Piss Party fucks off in the autumn.

Ukraine is also doing a speedrun through EU reforms currently and will be western decades from now. That's what its people deserve after the horrific crap they're going through right now. And it's what we owe them after leaving them alone to be Russia's plaything for so long.

by Anonymousreply 37March 25, 2023 11:25 PM

Don't come to Toronto. It's a shithole and unaffordable.

by Anonymousreply 38March 25, 2023 11:28 PM

Ukraine already has a Western style democracy r37. They have free elections, at every level of government. But corruption is endemic and has to be tackled.

I meant culturally. I don’t think they will be, or should be, culturally Western.

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2023 12:07 AM

Younger Ukrainians in the cities are already as western culturally as younger citizens of any other European country. But yes, obviously that will take some time to filter through to the rest of society. As for the "should" of it all, that ship set sail with globalisation ages ago.

The corruption is endemic because that's just how the Russkies roll, and Ukraine had been in the clutches of the Russian oligarchs and Russian-backed Ukrainian oligarchs and politicians for so long. You can see the same shit playing out in Georgia and Bulgaria, there's nothing uniquely Ukrainian about that at all. And don't get me started on Cyprus and Malta, both of which are in the EU already. Corruption central.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2023 12:23 AM

You too...can be replaced - and you will be!

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2023 12:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!