Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Women Talking: how did this win an Oscar

It was so boring.

by Anonymousreply 33June 3, 2023 2:41 AM

I lasted ten minutes.

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2023 6:03 AM

It’s a terrible movie, but it was the weakest Adapted Screenplay field in probably the history of the category. Because of that, an actor turned writer-director who did a movie that relies exclusively on dialogue was obviously going to win.

It has everything going for it, except actual quality. But that was the lesson of this year’s Oscars in almost every category.

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2023 6:07 AM

I loved it, but I’m female. I thought it was great and made its point without a whole lot of “talking.” The acting was great. It’s based on a true story.

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2023 6:16 AM

It's excruciatingly boring. And with the color drained out of it it's really hard on your brain and your patience.

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2023 6:26 AM

Are there any naked men in it?

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2023 6:32 AM

It wasn’t boring if you have even a thimbles capacity for empathy.

by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2023 6:58 AM

It was presented in a boring manner. The subject matter is fine.

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2023 7:00 AM

Any empathy it set out to earn was killed by the endless boring dialogue and the dancing around what actually happened for the first 30 min (or at least I hope it was no longer than 30 min because that was all I could take).

Sarah Polley is a decent filmmaker. Alone With Her was wonderful. But this was pure torture. And her win was a joke (though nothing else nominated deserved the award. The category should have been withheld from competition this year.

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2023 7:02 AM

Men Sucking is way better.

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2023 7:11 AM

Why was Top Gun Maverick in Adapted Screenplay?

It was an original story.

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2023 7:16 AM

r10 They claim it's because it's a sequel to the 1986 movie, which means it is based on pre-existing characters and story elements. Patently ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2023 7:23 AM

who is "they" r11..................the film's producers or the academy?

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2023 7:34 AM

The Academy, R12. The same rules were applied to Glass Onion, which was also also an original screenplay, but deemed adapted because it carried over one character from Knives Out.

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2023 7:42 AM

Sarah Polley has come a long way. When she was a girl she played Ramona (from the Beverly Cleary books) and then became famous for playing Sarah Stanley in the 'Road to Avonlea' series in Prince Edward Island, based on the Lucy Maud Montgomery novels.

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2023 9:01 AM

I didn't find it boring, and I appreciated its relative concision (at around 100 minutes), but it's my least favorite Sarah Polley film—not counting that thuddingly didactic Alias Grace miniseries, another adapted screenplay. Even Take This Waltz was better.

But it's well acted and intermittently powerful. I didn't mind the desaturated look, and I liked the way the movie hid its hand about when the story is taking place.

I agree that the Adapted Screenplay category this year was very weak. I can't recall another year in which there was such a quality gulf between the Original Screenplay nominees and the Adapted ones. At least the insufferable Rian Johnson didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2023 9:08 AM

[quote] Even Take This Waltz was better.

OMG, I forgot she directed that. I'm starting to think elves came in at night and made Alone With Her.

[quote] But it's well acted and intermittently powerful. I didn't mind the desaturated look, and I liked the way the movie hid its hand about when the story is taking place.

It was completely clear from the beginning that it was taking place in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2023 10:36 AM

She was great in the remake of Dawn of the Dead.

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2023 10:40 AM

Lesbian at R6.

by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2023 10:42 AM

Simple. It wasn't a competitive category, OP.

But, there are worse winners. Just look at the list.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2023 10:45 AM

Wasn't Ben Wishaw in this?

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2023 10:46 AM

[quote]OMG, I forgot she directed that. I'm starting to think elves came in at night and made Alone With Her.

Stories We Tell is her best feature film, but Away From Her is pretty great. Those were #3 and #1, respectively. Maybe she's an odd-numbered director.

[quote]It was completely clear from the beginning that it was taking place in 2010.

How do you figure? Was there a calendar on the wall that I missed? I didn't get anything 21st century until the census taker was driving through megaphoning the year. And I wasn't sure we were in a "modern" period until there was talk of Salome's trip for antibiotics, and August's mention of World War II.

by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2023 11:15 AM

I honestly don't remember because the film was so dull and unmemorable and I watched it a while ago, but I saw the film without knowing much of anything about it and it was clear early on it was 2010. It was only later that I read people were comparing it to The Village in terms of the plot point where it was revealed it was present day. In The Village, yes. In this, no.

by Anonymousreply 22March 23, 2023 11:25 AM

What's this Sarah Polley film Alone with Her that some of you keep referring to?

I can't find any evidence of it on Sarah Polley's work history as an actress, director or writer.

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2023 6:59 AM

They mean Away From Her.

by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2023 7:01 AM

Consolation prize because no women were nominate for Best Director.

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2023 12:20 PM

White Women Talking- here's your answer OP

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2023 12:56 PM

Oh, R23, you are so clever!

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2023 3:07 PM

“Even Take This Waltz was better”.

Ouch!

I’ve read the novel of Women Talking but have not seen the film yet. Ben Whishaw seems miscast. He’s such a femme man.

by Anonymousreply 28June 3, 2023 1:37 AM

My mother watched this and couldn’t make it through.

by Anonymousreply 29June 3, 2023 1:55 AM

I shut it off after 30 minutes - I agree with R4 assessment.

I will wait for the sequel "Transgendered Women Talking". I hope it's better. It will certainly be more woke.

by Anonymousreply 30June 3, 2023 1:56 AM

[quote]Even Take This Waltz was better.

I liked Women Talking and Take This Waltz.

by Anonymousreply 31June 3, 2023 1:59 AM

Did she also do the book for that 9/11 Canadian musical Come Away Alone from Her?

by Anonymousreply 32June 3, 2023 2:03 AM

Insiders said she was great with the meet and greets, very charming. It sounds like people at the high level of the movie industry have respect and goodwill towards her.

by Anonymousreply 33June 3, 2023 2:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!