Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The DeFranco Family- Heartbeat It's A Lovebeat 1973

There was the Brady Bunch

and here's the ETHNIC Bunch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2023 6:06 PM

Ehhhh, give me the DeCastros...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2023 3:34 AM

True one-hit wonder group. There's a clip somewhere online of JACK BENNY introducing the DeFrancos. Nice family but not one of them can dance.

Last I heard, Tony DeFranco has been a real estate agent in the Valley for decades.

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2023 3:38 AM

You're decrepit, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2023 3:42 AM

[quote] There's a clip somewhere online of JACK BENNY introducing the DeFrancos.

"Somewhere" is linked at OP.

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2023 3:42 AM

Is it any better if they speed it up to 45 rpm?

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2023 3:56 AM

I was really young, but I remember seeing the DeFrancos perform this on American Bandstand while furniture shopping with my parents on a Saturday afternoon. I didn’t know Jack Benny was still on the air in ‘73, but I do remember seeing the Ed Sullivan Show on TV at grandma’s house. Damn I’m O L D.

by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2023 4:00 AM

I only heard of this song because the guys talk about it at the beginning of Reservoir Dogs

Dialogue is at 3:11

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2023 4:12 AM

Well thanks a lot, OP. Since I saw the title of your thread earlier, that damn song is now stuck in my head.

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2023 4:34 AM

The older brother on the left was nice looking and the young front singer has aged very well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2023 4:38 AM

They were more like the Osmonds than the Brady Bunch.

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2023 6:04 AM

I’m surprised more people aren’t mentioning how successful Ani became.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2023 8:05 AM

Even worse - they were Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2023 8:26 AM

My metalhead older siblings hated this song with a passion, because like the Brady Bunch and the Partridge Family, it was "candy" and Tony DeFranco was a faggot. But the song slipped into their subconscious to some extent, because to this day it's family slang to refer to the first flutterings of romantic feelings as "the heartbeat." For example, "Shelley's a cool girl and all, but she's getting the heartbeat and I can't deal."

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2023 8:36 AM

R13- Was Tony a faggot? He seems today quite heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2023 12:58 PM

R10- I agree they’re definitely like a version of the Osmonds but more ethnic.

The Osmonds were actually a bit ethnic themselves.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2023 1:00 PM

It was the kind of music that made it easy to wonder why you were stuck being a kid in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2023 1:07 PM

They were the Canadian Osmonds.

Tony DeFranco said he knew it was over after their big hit, he went and picked out a bunch of songs for the next album and everyone he picked they said "Sorry, that is for the Osmonds."

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2023 1:09 PM

My siblings called everyone they considered uncool a faggot, OP. Tony, the aforementioned Bradys and Partridges, the Jackson 5, the Osmonds, Lucie and Desi Arnaz Jr., the Waltons... and me.

by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2023 5:13 PM

They're no DeMarcos...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2023 5:16 PM

Eric Carmen was widely known as "Eric the Fag" before he made it big.

by Anonymousreply 20March 25, 2023 5:04 PM

I'd do him.

by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2023 5:51 PM

I'll take the del Rubio triplets over them!

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2023 5:55 PM

I’ll take the Sylvers…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2023 6:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!