Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Darryl and Marty from Barney Miller

One of the first same sex couples on TV in the seventies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2023 7:36 PM

Which one was 'the wife'?

by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2023 11:35 PM

Marty I think.

Of course they might have taken turns.

by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2023 11:42 PM

I loved this show and watched it when I was in high school. I lusted after Max Gail. Don't remember this episode, but I probably laughed at those characters.

Shame on me! Because they were such stereotypes...people I couldn't possibly be like!

What bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2023 11:43 PM

They were the first homos I ever saw. Before them I knew nothing of such things.

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2023 11:48 PM

Of course, straight men would come up with two bottoms as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2023 11:51 PM

I love Darryl’s outfit in the clip at OP, especially the ombré button down.

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2023 11:54 PM

Darryl had an ex-wife and a kid, so he was the man.

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2023 12:01 AM

Mr. Brady was my first transsexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2023 12:04 AM

So what happened to their complaint?

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2023 12:06 AM

Wow. I totally forgot about them!

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2023 12:09 AM

I don't remember them but I know I watched this show with my parents. I was probably too young (under 10) to understand what they were. Still, it's depressing to think this was how we were portrayed. The audience bursts out laughing as soon as they appear. Max Gail's line about them having problems isn't challenged. They're obviously objects of ridicule and pity.

Never forget how far we've come. Remember this when you see trolls here railing against "the woke." This is the kind of progress those people hate and these are the times they want to return to.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2023 12:32 AM

I do remember them and liked them. I never felt they were objects of ridicule. I was glad to see a kind approach finally on a show on tv. It was generally accepted by the audience they were characters and on a cop show was all in good fun. No one had the idea all gays were criminals.

by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2023 3:18 PM

The precinct on Barney Miller was supposed to be set in the Village so the show was just acknowledging that there would likely have been gays around. It's true they were depicted as stereotypes but I didn't think they were objects of ridicule either. I'd like to know who the actors were.

by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2023 3:32 PM

Matt Baume did a video on them. Very informative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 24, 2023 3:36 PM

The mere presence of a gay character in the 1970s was meant to be funny, because gays were considered inherently laughable and ridiculous, except in movies like Freebie & the Bean where gays were evil monsters.

by Anonymousreply 15March 24, 2023 3:36 PM

Hello?

by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2023 3:39 PM

Marty was on last night's episode and was swooning over Herb Edelman (Stan from The Golden Girls). I didn't blame him, because ol' Herb wasn't half bad back then. His massive height was a plus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2023 4:56 PM

[quote]Which one was 'the wife'?

The one in peachy pink?

by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2023 4:59 PM

R11 All of the characters on Barney Miller were meant to be funny. That was the point of the show. You'd have to think every man woman and (police) dog on that show was an object of ridicule with that logic.

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2023 5:14 PM

The Woke think that gay men have to sleep with women who identify as men, and that lesbians have to fuck men in dresses. I prefer a little Barney Miller-style stereotyping to that bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2023 5:22 PM

^Your use of the word "woke" reeks of deplorable Trumpism and nullifies your entire post void.

by Anonymousreply 21March 24, 2023 5:40 PM

R11, I loved your post. Very well said.

by Anonymousreply 22March 24, 2023 6:03 PM

[quote]The Woke think that gay men have to sleep with women who identify as men, and that lesbians have to fuck men in dresses.

That isn't a Woke thing *or* think, r20, and you type retarded.

by Anonymousreply 23March 24, 2023 6:06 PM

R19, you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2023 7:20 PM

Jack DeLeon (Marty).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 24, 2023 7:37 PM

Doris Day, on her CBS sitcom in the early 70's had a gay couple (Lester and Lance) who lived upstairs over her San Francisco apartment.

by Anonymousreply 26March 24, 2023 7:43 PM

I kind of think you can bet on Jack DeLeon as being one of those people that graced this planet while he was here. You can feel it. Thanks for putting that up R25. Yeah, where do we all go...

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2023 7:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!