Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anyone feel uncomfortable and out-of-place in luxurious, fancy locations?

Like you're not rich, accomplished or attractive enough to be there. It's probably just low self-esteem, but I'll admit I do feel awkward.

Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 149March 27, 2023 3:00 PM

Yes, OP, I know what you mean -- and that's mostly because I'm put off by the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2023 11:19 AM

I probably would, but I've never been to someplace luxurious enough to make me feel that way. I'm never going to a State dinner at the White House, or an elusive retreat in Dubai, or the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2023 11:24 AM

R2 What about expensive stores or first class on a plane?

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2023 11:27 AM

No, because I don't have access to those spaces to begin with. Know your place and stay in your social sphere.

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2023 11:30 AM

r4 thank you for your input, Mr Hudson...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2023 11:37 AM

I haven't been to India, but I know a couple who traveled there and stayed in the most luxuries hotels and resorts. At one place the staff greeted them with a cascade of rose petals. Abject poverty and squalor greeted them outside these hotels, and one half of the couple told me he felt nothing but guilt staying in such luxuriousness while people lived like that outside the gates.

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2023 11:39 AM

So, did he move out and offer his place to a squalid local r6?

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2023 11:41 AM

I'm just not terribly impressed with luxurious and fancy, and especially not with the people typically encountered in such locations.

by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2023 11:42 AM

I used to get this feeling about Whole Foods, especially before it got taken over by Amazon. I still hate it and the assholes that shop there and every time something irritates me to the point I tell myself I should stick to Aldi where I belong. Similarly I’d feel this way the few time I’ve stepped into a Saks or Neiman-Marcus.

by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2023 11:48 AM

Good point, R7.

I have no guilt about shopping in high end stores or attending functions in exclusive or luxurious venues.

I feel uncomfortable around people who live luxurious, fancy lives with little thought of how most people live or the grinding problems and inequities around them!

by Anonymousreply 10March 22, 2023 11:58 AM

I do, but if I were exposed to them more often, I am certain I'd find a way to get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 11March 22, 2023 11:59 AM

I don my coordinating resort wear and say to hell with it.

by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2023 11:59 AM

No.

Never.

by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2023 12:01 PM

First class on a plane, nowadays, is really nothing to be impressed about. You will not feel out of place. Same with first class lounges at airports, everybody is pretty normal.

by Anonymousreply 14March 22, 2023 12:03 PM

It's not the location itself, it's the fact that they tend to attract a snobby crowd. Also I think oftentimes such places are only considered "luxurious" because they claim to be, and because of the prices they charge. You pay a premium to be around people who can afford it, without the hoi polloi underfoot, but it's not necessarily all that special.

by Anonymousreply 15March 22, 2023 12:07 PM

I was born into fortunate circumstances and opulence has never impressed me much. And trust me, once you know many ultra rich families well enough you find out that behind all the opulence & fancy fronts there hides a high level of commonness. Most all people of means are vastly different when they're in their own habitat behind closed doors, after they've let their guards down and aren't putting on the act anymore. If you're around that for long all the luxury surrounding them loses its luster.

by Anonymousreply 16March 22, 2023 12:09 PM

There supposed to make you feel that way OP. That’s the point.

Did the opening of Triangle of Sadness mean nothing to you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 22, 2023 12:13 PM

Imposter syndrome is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 18March 22, 2023 12:13 PM

Nah, that is what the marxists want you to feel though.

by Anonymousreply 19March 22, 2023 12:15 PM

No. Never. Not once

by Anonymousreply 20March 22, 2023 12:21 PM

People often project there will be a "snobby crowd", but these days many of the super-rich are not much different from the Beverly Hillbillies: they came into money from oil, or from corruption, or whatever. They did not spend generations, like the old European and British aristocracies, learning how to act when you had wealth. If they're snobby it's probably a bit hilarious, like when the Kardashians think they're above anyone.

The staff in luxurious hotels and restaurants are usually well trained in how a proper person SHOULD behave, and the one true thing about Pretty Woman is that if you are genuine with them and ask them for guidance they will almost certainly be happy to give it. ("I'm not really his niece." "They never are, dear.")

by Anonymousreply 21March 22, 2023 1:03 PM

I've been to a string of fancy events of late, and now I'm invited to a dinner party i do not wish to attend at all. I'm going through a bout of depression.

by Anonymousreply 22March 22, 2023 1:16 PM

Fit in and feel comfortable just about anywhere. Unless I'm not dressed right for the place. Then I feel really awkward.

by Anonymousreply 23March 22, 2023 1:31 PM

I feel like Molly Brown and I know no matter what that Denver society is judging me.

by Anonymousreply 24March 22, 2023 1:52 PM

Something I realized in college, where there were a lot of students from upper middle class and rich families, is that it wasn’t possible to fake it. If you are born and raised in a well-to-do family, then all the nuances and details of the lifestyle are thoroughly part of of who you are. If you were from a poor family, like I was, you can act like the rich people, but they can see the subtle (or glaring) differences between you and them in how you talk and behave, so you can never truly fit in.

by Anonymousreply 25March 22, 2023 2:01 PM

I love high end restaurants, classical concerts, fancy hotels, but the other people at those places make me uncomfortable. I feel like they're watching me waiting for me to leave.

by Anonymousreply 26March 22, 2023 2:05 PM

R9 I feel the same way about the organic co-op I sometimes go to. Like I'm intruding.

by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2023 2:06 PM

I grew up poor and my mom still is, she lives in a low income building for seniors. I do feel odd when in places where consumption or wealth is conspicuous. I live modestly in an affluent area now. I'm in downtown and there are still boutique stores I have never stepped in, even after nearly 20 years here.

I remember being overwhelmed once at ikea. Yes, ikea! For most, ikea is seen as the place for cheap and starter furniture, but for my mom, she can find better value at even cheaper local stores. I felt guilty that I could afford anything at ikea and I was surrounded by others there too who could do the same.

That was the weirdest example. More common examples were flying business for work. I had colleagues who felt flying business or even first class was a minimum. Meanwhile I fretted that the cost was too burdensome to the company. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 28March 22, 2023 2:09 PM

R25 me at my college, too. It was a huge culture shock.

by Anonymousreply 29March 22, 2023 2:09 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 30March 22, 2023 2:19 PM

"I love high end restaurants, classical concerts, fancy hotels, but the other people at those places make me uncomfortable. I feel like they're watching me waiting for me to leave."

Yes, we are.

Please remove yourself immediately.

by Anonymousreply 31March 22, 2023 2:24 PM

No. I feel perfectly comfortable flying first class and staying in luxury hotels. There's really nothing to it. Just enjoy and be polite, like you would anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 32March 22, 2023 2:32 PM

People who shop at Dean and DeLuca, R31. Get over yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 33March 22, 2023 2:32 PM

Yes indeed, OP.

I was uncomfortable as hell when we visited Newport Beach a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 34March 22, 2023 2:47 PM

As my UMC snob grandmother’s part time carer, I have to stay in her house quite a lot. She doesn’t like me to touch certain things or eat certain things in the house—unspoken subtext being that trash like me can’t be allowed to enjoy certain luxuries.

by Anonymousreply 35March 22, 2023 3:14 PM

R25 if the glaring differences or knowing the subtle clues are important and they’re important to you, you can learn it. That’s how people get ahead.

You can learn a lot in school outside the classroom. Everyone’s not judging you. You’re judging yourself saying you’ll never fit in. If they’re assholes, why would you even want to?

by Anonymousreply 36March 22, 2023 3:16 PM

Because the security and social status of your entire family depends on it, R36. That's why people go to the lengths that they do to get their kids into these colleges.

by Anonymousreply 37March 22, 2023 3:18 PM

R16 like how the late QEII enjoyed Special K cereal and Coronation Street? And the current Prince Willz loves the football?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 22, 2023 3:21 PM

[quote] As my UMC snob grandmother’s part time carer, I have to stay in her house quite a lot. She doesn’t like me to touch certain things or eat certain things in the house—unspoken subtext being that trash like me can’t be allowed to enjoy certain luxuries.

R35, it's lovely. that you are your grandmother's custodian.

I hope she doesn't truly make you feel like trash.

by Anonymousreply 39March 22, 2023 3:24 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 40March 22, 2023 3:33 PM

Hey, R40, what is your problem?

by Anonymousreply 41March 22, 2023 3:36 PM

It's low self-esteem, OP. Keep in mind that most luxuries are corporate-sponsored these days. People staying at fancy hotels, dining at Michelin starred restaurants, traveling first class, sitting in owners' box at events are there because of a corporate perk.

by Anonymousreply 42March 22, 2023 3:42 PM

r6 I get that feeling when I travel to places like Mexico and the Caribbean. Once I leave the resort grounds, and see how the poor locals who are serving me live, I can't help but feel sad.

by Anonymousreply 43March 22, 2023 3:43 PM

I did before but now not. Carry yourself well, be kind, considerate and it will take you out of that element.

by Anonymousreply 44March 22, 2023 3:43 PM

I stayed at an incredibly expensive, upscale 5+ star hotel recently, and felt right at home.

by Anonymousreply 45March 22, 2023 3:46 PM

[quote][R2] What about expensive stores or first class on a plane?

No, because stores are open to anyone and there used to be a time where you could upgrade at check-in to first class for as little as $50, so neither seemed like much of a luxury.

I would feel more uncomfortable at an event if I thought I wasn't wanted or welcomed, but I'd feel that regardless if it was the Met Gala or someone's potluck. (Im not getting an invite to the Met Gala anytime soon, so I'm not sweating that one)

by Anonymousreply 46March 22, 2023 3:52 PM

R9 No need to feel intimidated by stores like Saks or Neiman or Whole Foods. Yes, there used to be hoity toity types that shopped there, but the internet has been the great equalizer in terms of acquisition of disposable income. Plenty of trash frequent these stores, at least from what I see in California. And don’t let some minimum wage shopgirl throw you an attitude. They’re not getting paid anymore than the fat frau at Kohl’s. Sometimes you have to put people in their place.

by Anonymousreply 47March 22, 2023 3:56 PM

Maybe 25 years ago but now everyone is trash. Class is dead. And grace is a relic of a bygone era.

by Anonymousreply 48March 22, 2023 3:59 PM

Just before the pandemic I stayed at a 5-star hotel in Amsterdam on business, which I could never have afforded on my own dime. I approached the concierge desk and in front of me was a woman who was obviously rich and entitled, berating the concierge loudly and rudely. I couldn’t tell what the problem was but she carried on for a while and the poor concierge looked humiliated but resigned, like he’d been through this before.

When the woman finally left, I stepped up, greeted him politely and asked how he was before making my small request. From the look on his face you would have thought I’d handed him a winning lottery ticket.

Remember that next time you feel intimidated by staying at a fancy hotel.

by Anonymousreply 49March 22, 2023 4:00 PM

I feel in such places like a fortunate little boy.

by Anonymousreply 50March 22, 2023 4:02 PM

No, I’m sorry. I never feel out of place in such locations.

I barely notice the others around me unless we are part of the same group.

Don’t feel awkward, OP: just enjoy yourself.

by Anonymousreply 51March 22, 2023 4:15 PM

[quote]And don’t let some minimum wage shopgirl throw you an attitude. They’re not getting paid anymore than the fat frau at Kohl’s. Sometimes you have to put people in their place.

"You only work in a shop, you know...you can drop the attitude"

by Anonymousreply 52March 22, 2023 4:24 PM

[quote] hey’re not getting paid anymore than the fat frau at Kohl’s.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 53March 22, 2023 4:26 PM

I think in a past life I lived in luxury attended by plentiful servants because I find it very easy to get used to and feel right at home.

by Anonymousreply 54March 22, 2023 4:28 PM

My biggest worry at luxury places resorts, restaurants, stores, etc. is my clothes. I try. I do try. But I feel self conscious because I know that even my best is not up to the quality of the stuff I see on other people.

by Anonymousreply 55March 22, 2023 4:32 PM

I remember Kathy Bates as Molly Brown being on the receiving end of the old money people's snootiness, but not letting it deter her from participating in their social rituals. Then when the ship is finally gone down, she is the only one with a hint of concern or compassion for the people left behind in the water.

by Anonymousreply 56March 22, 2023 4:35 PM

[quote]My biggest worry at luxury places resorts, restaurants, stores, etc. is my clothes.

Oh, I've walked into the nicest stores in absolute trash clothes with my boyfriend and I swear, all the salesperson saw was "double income, no kids". We were treated like royalty. I think if there's one perk to being gay (besides sex with hot men) it's that salespeople see us all as willing to drop $15,000 on a lamp no matter how we're dressed.

by Anonymousreply 57March 22, 2023 4:41 PM

No I don't, because I essentially believe that we're all the same and any illusion of superiority is just that, an illusion. My strategy has always been to be myself in any situation and not worry about the rest of the crowd. Deep inside, every person on Earth is insecure, including those people you're intimidated by.

by Anonymousreply 58March 22, 2023 4:45 PM

Keep in mind that the truly wealthy generally aren't shopping or staying in resorts. They have things sent to them, personal shoppers, fly private, stay in private homes or hotel suites with private dining rooms, etc. You're very unlikely to rub elbows.

by Anonymousreply 59March 22, 2023 4:46 PM

I'm 50 and I notice it less in terms of luxury and fancy places.....but more that a few "hispter" kind of restaurants have looked down on me and my BF when seating us.

I assume it's our age - we are by no means stars or fashion models but we take care of ourselves, etc. But we aren't the Instagrammable hipster types they want sitting in the window seat, so a few times we've gotten the wrinkled nose, table-right-outside-of-the-kitchen seat.

by Anonymousreply 60March 22, 2023 4:49 PM

No, as long as I'm properly dressed, I never feel out of place. However, a lot of very wealthy people have very retrogressive views, and I am afraid my disdain will show on my face when they utter a racist, classist, or anti-Semitic statement.

by Anonymousreply 61March 22, 2023 4:51 PM

R9 You should see my Whole Foods, here in Deploraville it's filled with deplorables who don't know anything about what they're looking at.

by Anonymousreply 62March 22, 2023 4:53 PM

What I love about Atlanta is that you can go to the classiest Restaurant or hotel bar, or whatever, and Shanaynay and her girls are there and no one gives a shit. Dress in your best, or whatever. People just want to have fun. The wealthy upper middle classes stay home. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 63March 22, 2023 4:54 PM

R62 Is there something to know?

by Anonymousreply 64March 22, 2023 5:07 PM

So many wealthy people are incredibly boring. I find the moneyed stiflingly crusty for the most part.Its such a waste.

by Anonymousreply 65March 22, 2023 5:16 PM

Yes. I live in a really nice neighborhood...lots of high end boutiques, cafes, etc, it's way out of my league, but I rent my tiny one bedroom from my sister in law's mom who rents it to me dirt cheap and under the table....I always considered myself as middle/upper middle class without any complex about class but even I feel it here....people here wear Gucci to walk their dogs. Honestly, I'd prefer something more middle brow, though most people dont get it because it is a very nice neighborhood, but with the little I pay in rent it would end up costing more to move to a more normal place.

by Anonymousreply 66March 22, 2023 5:17 PM

I prefer boutique shops and smaller luxury hotels now. I use to feel fine in the Ritz Carlton and Saks environment but the crowd has become so Kardashian, trashy and woke.

by Anonymousreply 67March 22, 2023 5:19 PM

Not at all, lol. I don’t like over the top bad taste mixed with opulence. But if done well, luxury is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 68March 22, 2023 5:30 PM

I am currently poolside at a Ritz Carlton. When I was growing up, "the Ritz" was the ne plus ultra of class and sophistication. The place is full of kids, disengaged moms, a few DILFs, and a group here for a convention.

I'm a self-confident and outgoing person so if I'm ever uncomfortable I know how how to engage people or, failing that, extricating myself from the situation quickly. Not everyone belongs everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 69March 22, 2023 5:35 PM

I used to feel it more when I was younger. Now that I'm old, I don't really care so much what others think. Also I have more money and own an expensive car. So if I'm in some snooty area, I just think, I own a BMW and I belong here too. If it really bothers you invest in one high end item, like a very expensive scarf or wallet. That helps with the confidence level.

by Anonymousreply 70March 22, 2023 5:40 PM

No, but my maid does.

by Anonymousreply 71March 22, 2023 5:43 PM

Old money doesn’t hang out at these basic places anymore. Most of these areas have been taken over by the Instagram hos and Hoodrat bitches, who just want selfies by the pool with espresso martinis.

by Anonymousreply 72March 22, 2023 5:46 PM

I feel you, r55.

I was never a “clothes horse” and most of my wardrobe is from the local thrift stores. I just never had any desire to spend gobs of cash on something that will not last a year or can only be worn once.

When Covid first hit, I began donating to the local orchestra because reasons. Now I’m on their mailing list for tickets and fundraising and such. As much as I would love to attend the orchestra, I probably never will because I don’t want to spend a fortune on clothes I can only wear once.

by Anonymousreply 73March 22, 2023 5:48 PM

Hunny the upper middle class have private clubs and to golf and swim at and tennis, etc. And they do lunch and dinner and monthly dances, and they only have to talk to one another and don't ever worry about their kids being with a "bad element." LOL! They ARE the "Bad Element."

by Anonymousreply 74March 22, 2023 5:51 PM

I do, I was always taught (even if unintentionally), that money equaled class.

by Anonymousreply 75March 22, 2023 6:04 PM

R25 What are the main differences? Is it body language?

by Anonymousreply 76March 22, 2023 6:11 PM

R76 for truly wealthy kids there is a reservation and confidence that poor kids don’t have. Poors also will let things slip in conversation that wealthy would not, saying things like “motherfucker”. Also don’t confuse Upper Middle Class with wealthy. The lines have become very blurred now though, as trashy culture has taken over social media which the wealthy are on too.

by Anonymousreply 77March 22, 2023 6:18 PM

R48 Is everyone really trash nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 78March 22, 2023 6:27 PM

Money can't buy you class.

by Anonymousreply 79March 22, 2023 6:29 PM

R77 It's probably because rich kids know they're financially set for life. They never have to worry about homelessness or unemployment. It's easy for them to walk around with their heads held high because they know everything will be okay.

Whereas the poor kids might feel stupid trying to look confidence and cool because their future is unreliable. What if they can't find a well-paying job? How can they feel good about themselves when one wrong move could make them homeless?

I've always had an extreme fear of becoming homeless. It's like, imagine looking great and smiley on your graduation day, so young and full of potential, and then nothing afterwards works out and you end up with nothing. I'd feel ashamed and cringey, thinking to myself "how could I let myself think I'd have a good future?"

Even if rich kids fail at everything, they won't be homeless.

by Anonymousreply 80March 22, 2023 6:41 PM

^ it's the way they speak, speaking correctly, the way they carry themselves, commanding attention, no excuses, etc

by Anonymousreply 81March 22, 2023 6:45 PM

R81 But being from a rich family doesn't automatically make them more intelligent. Look at all the bland nepotism celeb offspring who can barely string together a sentence, despite having gone to elite private schools.

by Anonymousreply 82March 22, 2023 7:50 PM

Look. Imagine yourself in a really foreign country where you don't know the language or the customs. YOu try. YOu learn a few phrases and you try to observes the customs but there's an awkwardness and self consciousness to it all for you. That's what it feels like when you're around the super wealthy born and bred.

by Anonymousreply 83March 22, 2023 8:02 PM

R83 I just found this interesting video on the topic. Ginnie Sayles tells people how to fit in with the rich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 22, 2023 8:13 PM

I used to work at a high-end hotel. Some of my coworkers were unpleasant / snooty. I groused to a friend about that. My friend said that I should ask my snooty coworkers: "Did you check in or did you punch in?"

When you're in an expensive hotel, you're mostly interacting with service people, who are probably close, class-wise, to you. That should make you feel more comfortable. R49's story is helpful. If you're polite and respectful, the workers will usually be appreciative and will go out of their way to help you.

by Anonymousreply 85March 22, 2023 8:28 PM

OP? If you don’t have any money or achievements, what are you doing in luxurious, fancy places?

Stick to Walmart and Costco.

by Anonymousreply 86March 22, 2023 8:29 PM

R85 / former high-end hotel worker here, again.

Another thing to remember is that a lot of a hotel's income comes from (or used to come from) conventions involving average Joe people. I remember, in particular, a convention of people who worked in "recovery," i.e., repossession people. Those guys drank A LOT.

by Anonymousreply 87March 22, 2023 8:31 PM

R22- call in a bomb threat if u rly do not want to go

by Anonymousreply 88March 22, 2023 8:43 PM

Make classy new friends when Homeland Security shows up at your place.

by Anonymousreply 89March 22, 2023 8:44 PM

my grandfather worked during the golden age of radio... and he had a wonderful take on enjoying the perks of the station above you. he was from rural Kansas and worked his way up through advertising, ... where basically you were feeding the public a line of BS 24/7.

one of my favorites was him introducing himself as Senator Davis from Kansas at a fancy restuarant or hotel to get past the line...... I mean pre internet, who knew?? but he was a great tipper, and took care of all the folks the make it happen. They were more important to him than the class he was socializing with.

by Anonymousreply 90March 22, 2023 8:44 PM

Yup… out of place

by Anonymousreply 91March 22, 2023 8:45 PM

The college I attended was full of private school, boarding school types. My dorm was full of them. I've never felt poorer in my life. They discussed holidays spent skiing in winter and jet skiing in summer. While mine was spent down at the farm at my grandparents. They drove fancy cars. Didn't have to get a part time jobs. While my college years were spent hustling, working and studying

by Anonymousreply 92March 22, 2023 8:59 PM

^ sounds like mine but I didn't get to go to a fancy farm for break. However, it was fun and the best experience of my life.

by Anonymousreply 93March 22, 2023 9:05 PM

I think Prince Harry and Meghan Markle feel like you do, OP.

by Anonymousreply 94March 22, 2023 9:08 PM

R77, I’m sorry, but insinuating that rich people don’t use foul language is quite ridiculous.

I’ve been around enough old money and some German nobility to be able to tell you otherwise. You’d be disappointed to find out that they use terrible language, fart, poop, and can have awful manners at times, just like everybody else.

When you’re around fancy people, just treat them the way you would treat anyone else or a bit worse, and they’ll love you.

by Anonymousreply 95March 22, 2023 9:13 PM

Parts of the Ritz in London, all of Claridges, any shop in Mayfair. Oddly noting in NY throws me but I can feel really intimidated in parts of London, which is internationally rich. I just feel like I can afford to be there at the time, but I can't afford to be there every day... and the staff know it. They can't smell it like a horse smells a rattlesnake.

by Anonymousreply 96March 22, 2023 9:15 PM

[quote] Shanaynay and her girls are there

I they're sitting at the bar Shanaynay and her girls are prostitutes and the bartender is pimping for them. He gets a nice cut.

by Anonymousreply 97March 22, 2023 9:56 PM

R93. The farm is where I worked during the summer and where the family gathered during Christmas. Nothing fancy about that

by Anonymousreply 98March 22, 2023 10:07 PM

I understand your feelings but it's all about your level of comfort with yourself and your surroundings. I was taught to be comfortable in any situation- be it a truck stop in Kansas City or the Ritz in Paris was the mark of a gentleman. I'm typically polite to everyone and intimidated by only a few people or occasions. Yes, I was born wealthy and will die wealthy. But the money is less important than having respect for yourself. It's far more easy to do this if you're pretending to be someone you're not. People are just people but with different window dressing.

I did met the late Queen at a birthday party years ago and I was all but tongue tied. But, that was more out of respect for her and the history she represented and certainly not about me.

by Anonymousreply 99March 22, 2023 10:12 PM

R98, hun, it was a joke. I was going to call you Rose but you went to college.

by Anonymousreply 100March 22, 2023 10:32 PM

My mother likes to think she's upper class (upper middle class maybe), and likes to stay in 5 star hotels, eat at Michelin restaurants. When we were in Bangkok, we stayed at the Mandarin, where the employees run into the elevator before you do, and press the button for your floor. I alway felt like an asshole whenever they did that, and would try to sneak into the elevator when they weren't looking. I wasn't very successful.

I recently stayed at the Conrad Hilton in Bora Bora (thanks to points), and was upgraded to a $2700/night villa. Didn't feel out of place, because everyone looked so....common? I felt more out of place in restaurants in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 101March 22, 2023 10:39 PM

[quote] I was taught to be comfortable in any situation- be it a truck stop in Kansas City or the Ritz in Paris was the mark of a gentleman.... Yes, I was born wealthy and will die wealthy.

MARY. The gist of this thread seems to be lower- and middle-class people going into luxury-type settings. Not about someone "born wealthy [who] will die wealthy" feeling comfortable from Kansas City to the Ritz in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 102March 23, 2023 12:04 AM

Best thing I've read in this thread is about treating the help well. That is SO true. Those really are the people that matter. Whether it's the desk clerk or house keeping or room service, Be kind. Be appreciative. And understand that they are earning a pittance. There were some pretentious Europeans and Saudis, and Americans there. Very rude, snapping fingers, ordering people around, complaining about nothing. I on the other hand, was kind. I was polite and considerate and smiled and asked how the staff was doing, etc. and they LOVED me. They brought fresh flowers to my room for no reason. (My room was just standard not fancy.) They would give me special treats at breakfast, they were just beyond thoughtful. Very warm and friendly. And they surmised I was Gay. So it had no effect. I never felt unsafe or unwelcomed. Be nice to the help. They are literally the only ones who matter. You will get perks and extras you never dreamed of.

by Anonymousreply 103March 23, 2023 4:00 AM

I've posted this before but I read a book once about life in a hotel and the thing I remember is always, always, always tip the maid especially. She cleans up your spunky sheets, the flushes the toilet you forgot, she finds your remains after you off yourself, she has the single worst, toughest job in the damn place so don't forget to tip her decently.

by Anonymousreply 104March 23, 2023 4:07 AM

I mean, obviously you can probably get away without tipping if you're there to off yourself. But otherwise tip the damned maid.

by Anonymousreply 105March 23, 2023 4:07 AM

These sorts of threads (and they are frequent enough on DL) are fascinating and I appreciate everyone's honesty.

Here's the thing though, as someone from that world: no one is monitoring you. Monitoring - taking stock of what you are wearing, your hairstyle, clothing, way of speaking, what you order--that's something the type of gay men who are part of "the gay scene" do and why so many other gay men constantly feel that everyone is judging them.

But the truth is, unless you are wearing or doing something something that really stands out -- neon green leather chaps-- no one is going to really take notice.

The tell, which happens at some point, is that we all tend to know each other somehow. I grew up in New York, but if, say, I meet someone around my age from Los Angeles and they went somewhere like Harvard-Westlake or Crossroads, then chances are high we know a half-dozen people in common, from camp, college, first jobs, friends-of-friends, etc.

But no one is judging you, least of all the clerks in a high-end store who are, after all, not actual rich people, but what DL derisively refers to as "shop bottoms."

by Anonymousreply 106March 23, 2023 10:12 AM

^^and by "the tell" I don't mean to imply that anyone is judging you if you grew up in a small town in Flyoverstan. Most people I know take people as they find them, e.g., who they are today, are they good people, fun to be around, etc.

"The tell" is when someone is pretending to be something they are not.

by Anonymousreply 107March 23, 2023 10:16 AM

Well, R107, look what happened to Kate Middleton. She went to all the same schools, knew people in common, but was rejected for years by the aristo friends.

by Anonymousreply 108March 23, 2023 10:47 AM

And still is by DL. I'm not sure no one is judging. I think most people are so insecure they're watching everybody else like radar.

by Anonymousreply 109March 23, 2023 10:49 AM

[quote] I think most people are so insecure they're watching everybody else like radar.

You need to stop spending so much time with other homosexuals.

[quote] look what happened to Kate Middleton. She went to all the same schools, knew people in common, but was rejected for years by the aristo friends.

I suspect that had more to do with who she was and who they were, rather than anything about her background.

by Anonymousreply 110March 23, 2023 11:55 AM

Not true, R110. The aristo pals called Kate 'doors to manual' because her mother was a flight attendant. There are no accounts anywhere of Kate being a bitch. I hope she remembers and pays them back accordingly when she's queen.

by Anonymousreply 111March 23, 2023 11:58 AM

LOL. It means THEY are assholes and clearly there was something about her that set them off--not every fat kid or very flaming gay kid gets picked on either.

Plus you were not there. You are hearing gossip fifth-hand from a website and so there's a very very high chance it is invented, embellished or was said once or twice. What you describe is the behavior of an insecure 13 year old, not an adult.

But way to completely miss my original point which was not that going to the same schools makes you instant besties, but rather, if someone is pretending to be something they're not, a George Santos-type situation, that the connection thing is where they usually get tripped up.

by Anonymousreply 112March 23, 2023 12:30 PM

[quote]You need to stop spending so much time with other homosexuals.

Two of my straight friends -- one male, one female -- are constantly criticizing others' looks, dress, decorating, cooking, etc. They're not rich, just comfortably middle-to-upper-middle class. It's funny because they don't know each other but they have similar personalities -- they're very self-absorbed and they project absolute confidence. I wonder if that confidence is actually a bit shaky and they bolster it by tearing others down.

by Anonymousreply 113March 23, 2023 12:46 PM

I feel weird and strange

by Anonymousreply 114March 23, 2023 12:52 PM

[quote] Two of my straight friends -- one male, one female -- are constantly criticizing others' looks, dress, decorating, cooking, etc.

He's not straight!!

That does not conform to our stereotype of a straight man!!

Closet Homo! Closet Homo!!

by Anonymousreply 115March 23, 2023 1:39 PM

Actually, no, even though I grew up lower middle class and spent a decade working in hospitality. I never get the feeling like "people like me" don't belong somewhere. I've never flown first class (I would LOVE to) but I've been to places like the Mandarian Oriental in London, fancy boutiques in Mayfair, and upscale NYC cocktail bars, and felt perfectly at home. Maybe it's because I worked in luxury hotels myself...I know the people working there are just regular people with normal lives. I'm always nice to them and tip well.

by Anonymousreply 116March 23, 2023 1:46 PM

Years ago, I bought a very expensive Chanel bag. For me, it was ridiculously priced, but I wanted a statement bag that would never go out of style. Normally, I'm just your average Jane and buy budget minded clothes and accessories. I kept the bag in the original sack, along with the documentation...but never used it. It sat in my closet. It just didn't feel right for me and didn't feel comfortable in carrying it. I'm not wealthy and very average...nothing special. It felt like I was trying to be something that I wasn't...what was I trying to prove. I eventually sold it on a secondary market that sells high end designer goods.

by Anonymousreply 117March 23, 2023 1:59 PM

Truly secure, good people , whether poor or wealthy, don’t have to put effort into putting others down or making others feel uncomfortable.

I wasn’t one of them but whoever upthread observed that the students I went to undergraduate school with who came from affluent households did have a certain ease and confidence to them.

That’s because from the first breath they drew they breathed in the air of belonging.

I’ve been around long enough to know, however, that wealthy people have pain, anguish l, heartache in their lives just like any poor person does.

They just experience those in a different environment.

No way am I arguing class divisions don’t exist; they do. I’m just saying that there are good and bad people in every socio-economic class.

by Anonymousreply 118March 23, 2023 2:02 PM

Sorry about the grammar errors^

by Anonymousreply 119March 23, 2023 2:03 PM

R117 points to something that's important. A lot of people want that "statement piece." But if you don't have the lifestyle or the accompanying clothes to go with it is stands out in a way you don't want it to. And you look very "try hard." Things should fit together even if you do mix the expensive with the common. When it comes to your appearance, certain things you can get away with. Certain things you can't.

by Anonymousreply 120March 23, 2023 2:14 PM

Because of a strange confluence of professional and person events, I now socialize with in a very wealthy UES crowd. Before I was part of that world, it would scare the shit out of me. What I learned, and quickly, is that the same awkwardness, insecurity, and whatever else exists among this crowd as well. Whether H&M or Chanel, it’s all just costuming and performance. We are all just naked little babies, and we are all a fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 121March 23, 2023 2:29 PM

Two of the phrases that instantly put you off a post: You need and I suspect.

by Anonymousreply 122March 23, 2023 2:37 PM

No, I blend into the environment and adapt to it. I don't allow people to intimidate me.

by Anonymousreply 123March 23, 2023 3:36 PM

Oh, r117, that makes me sad! You bought something you loved and wanted that you felt was beautiful yet you never carried it!

That is sad. Carry it for you to the damned grocery store! It’s YOUR beautiful thing and you deserve to have it and take it with you.

by Anonymousreply 124March 23, 2023 6:08 PM

I find myself seated at the bar (“we don’t have any tables available”) in these kind of places.

by Anonymousreply 125March 23, 2023 6:18 PM

Kinda related. My husband's family is rich and very generous (thcore!). They rent a compound overlooking the ocean in the Dominican Republic every year and take us. Full staff, chef, bartender, etc. But I always feel just gross knowing how poor these people are.

by Anonymousreply 126March 23, 2023 6:23 PM

I window shopped at Van Cleef and Arpels but didn't dare to go inside.

by Anonymousreply 127March 23, 2023 6:34 PM

[quote] Years ago, I bought a very expensive Chanel bag.

R117, which one did you get? Years ago, on my one and only trip to Paris, I went into a Louis Vuitton store (LV stuff is cheaper in Paris) and bought one of their lower-end items (small pouch bag, more like a toiletry bag, really). I, also, didn't feel comfortable using it. I gave it to a friend, who never uses it.

by Anonymousreply 128March 23, 2023 6:36 PM

I'm different and I don't try to fit in. I now keep my distance from people, poor or rich. I y not to let them know this.

by Anonymousreply 129March 23, 2023 7:20 PM

Once...I took a train into NYC to walk around and go into some high end stores. I went into Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus and Barneys. I felt a little self conscious, but overall....the experience was good. I think I went into Saks Fifth Avenue, too. I didn't buy anything, as it was too expensive for me. I just wanted to see what the big deal was about these stores. I didn't feel like anyone sneered at me...just walked around and browsed, like everyone else. Some salespeople even asked if I needed any help.

by Anonymousreply 130March 23, 2023 7:26 PM

If it makes you feel better R128, I am quite well off and never use the LV wallet someone got me as a gift a while back. TBH, they're sort of tacky.

For day to day I use a nylon wallet I got at a street fair about five years ago that is relatively indestructible and for fancy events I have a fancy leather wallet (also a gift) that I use.

The leather wallet is beautiful but it's noticeably bulkier than the cheap nylon one. Sort of like my watch game - I wear an Apple watch day to day, but have a good watch I inherited from my grandfather for occasions. I've gotten so used to the functionality of the Apple watch though -texts and emails on my wrist, that I miss it when I am not wearing it.

by Anonymousreply 131March 23, 2023 9:19 PM

R128....I bought a medium sized quilted flap bag in dark brown. It was a beauty. It's a common Chanel style.

by Anonymousreply 132March 23, 2023 9:22 PM

Also, I'm pretty hard on handbags. Something that expensive would have to be treated like kid gloves...at least for me. It was an investment.

by Anonymousreply 133March 23, 2023 9:25 PM

Any place that makes you feel unwanted or uncomfortable because of how you look or dress or your perceived income level is not truly a high-end establishment.

by Anonymousreply 134March 23, 2023 9:46 PM

Not really, unless uneducated nuveau riche people occupy these places and I have to communicate with them, I'm usually fine.

by Anonymousreply 135March 23, 2023 10:22 PM

[quote] Not really, unless uneducated nuveau riche people occupy these places and I have to communicate with them, I'm usually fine.

Oh, dear. It's "nouveau riche."

by Anonymousreply 136March 23, 2023 11:03 PM

Poor R135. Of all the times to fuck up, with pomposity in full sail. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 137March 23, 2023 11:05 PM

I met a friend for High Tea at The Dorchester in London and I felt out of place. It is very high class. Like stepping back in time. Opulent.

by Anonymousreply 138March 24, 2023 5:19 PM

[quote] They did not spend generations, like the old European and British aristocracies, learning how to act when you had wealth.

This ^^ kind of subby, loserish reverence and outsider fascination with ‘old money’ is so desperate and deluded lmao.

by Anonymousreply 139March 24, 2023 5:40 PM

[quote] Something I realized in college, where there were a lot of students from upper middle class and rich families, is that it wasn’t possible to fake it. If you are born and raised in a well-to-do family, then all the nuances and details of the lifestyle are thoroughly part of of who you are. If you were from a poor family, like I was, you can act like the rich people, but they can see the subtle (or glaring) differences between you and them in how you talk and behave, so you can never truly fit in.

This has to be like…a version of a humiliation kink right?

These threads are maybe the most embarrassing of any of the recurring threads on here, idk how to even explain it, but anyone engaging with this topic on face value is a lost cause. Be best!

by Anonymousreply 140March 24, 2023 5:57 PM

I love watching Gosford Park and seeing all the rich people and then the servants.

by Anonymousreply 141March 24, 2023 7:12 PM

I have friends who are richer than I am, so yes, I've occasionally experienced this when they wanted to go some place above my income or social level. It's gotten much easier with time, and the realization that the people who run such places aren't there to be social judges, they're there to take money from anyone who's willing to spend it.

Me, now that I'm doing well, I'm fine with above-average hotels but think that "luxury resorts" aren't worth the money, and due to quitting drinking and some dietary restrictions, I don't have any use for snooty expensive restaurants. I'd rather be at the fabulous little ethnic restaurant where they plunk a pot of tea on your table without asking, and my party are the only white people.

by Anonymousreply 142March 24, 2023 7:31 PM

Further to R130, I live in Toronto, where we have a Saks and the shop bottoms are highly skilled cliches. I've been to the Saks in Manhattan a few times and was treated memorably. Professional sales people offering to help, in a friendly way, and then letting you go. I was solidly impressed (and somewhat surprised.)

by Anonymousreply 143March 24, 2023 7:41 PM

I had a friend in college. We were from the same town and the college we went to was rich wealthy and upper class kids. Well he spent most of college ears trying to fit in with the rich kids by purchasing designer gear and faking a life of luxury. He always had the most expensive clothing, accessories etc. He even stopped driving when he discovered the uber wealthy kidss were biking around the small town. He went out and purchased the most expensive bike there was. All while on student aid. On top of all this, he refused to take a student job because he wanted to hang out play Frisbee and hackey sack ( this was the 90s) unfortunately he maxed all his credit cards , amassed a huge student debt. After college, he filed for bankruptcy because he couldn't get a proper job to pay his high bills. 20 years later he works at a call centre.

by Anonymousreply 144March 24, 2023 9:15 PM

[quote] I had a friend in college. We were from the same town and the college we went to was rich wealthy and upper class kids. Well he spent most of college ears trying to fit in with the rich kids by purchasing designer gear and faking a life of luxury. He always had the most expensive clothing, accessories etc. He even stopped driving when he discovered the uber wealthy kidss were biking around the small town. He went out and purchased the most expensive bike there was. All while on student aid. On top of all this, he refused to take a student job because he wanted to hang out play Frisbee and hackey sack ( this was the 90s) unfortunately he maxed all his credit cards , amassed a huge student debt. After college, he filed for bankruptcy because he couldn't get a proper job to pay his high bills. 20 years later he works at a call centre.

Sure lol.

by Anonymousreply 145March 24, 2023 9:26 PM

Hmmmmm....no, nope OP, I don't feel uncomfortable at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 25, 2023 10:36 PM

No, I don't feel uncomfortable uptown and I don't feel uncomfortable downtown either.

It's a function of how comfortable you are within yourself. As long as your parents taught you good manners, you're appropriately dressed and you know what fork to use, it has very little to do with anything or anyone around you.

by Anonymousreply 147March 25, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote] I met a friend for High Tea at The Dorchester in London and I felt out of place. It is very high class. Like stepping back in time. Opulent.

Well, R138, that sounds very middle class. If you were at The Dorchester, I think you most likely had afternoon tea (sometimes called 'low tea').

High tea is very working class.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 27, 2023 2:57 PM

No. Now go get your ass some therapy!

by Anonymousreply 149March 27, 2023 3:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!