Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Thoroughly Modern Millie' & Her Campy Charms

Producer Ross Hunter presented an all-star cast--Julie Andrews, Mary Tyler Moore, Carol Channing, John Gavin, Beatrice Lillie, & James Fox--in 1967's "Thoroughly Modern Millie." Director George Roy Hill brings the period charm to this fluffy but fun musical, a great vehicle for Andrews as Millie. And Carol Channing brings on the camp! My look at "Millie" here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2023 4:03 AM

Not a fan in any way, shape or form.

by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2023 9:24 PM

Julie looks like she's have a blast. Gavin is gorgeous. Bea steals it. Carol Fucking Channing is hilarious. MTM is the weak link. It's a fun movie.

by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2023 10:07 PM

Great poster for the French release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 21, 2023 10:13 PM

RASPBERRIES

by Anonymousreply 4March 21, 2023 10:19 PM

Please, OP, do you have anything different from what we've heard before?

Do you have any scintillating NEW perception?

by Anonymousreply 5March 21, 2023 10:41 PM

Channing was irrelevant to the plot; Lllie was offensive to the easily-offended; John Gavin had the vivacity of an animatronic doll.

Was James Fox the first choice or was he a replacement?

by Anonymousreply 6March 21, 2023 11:08 PM

Here's an excellent copy of the roadshow version of "Thoroughly Modern Millie."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 21, 2023 11:10 PM

I've actually never seen the film all the way through, but I did love the 2002 Broadway version back in the day (although with retrospect, the portrayal of the Asian characters was... yikes).

by Anonymousreply 8March 21, 2023 11:14 PM

Did they ever explain why Millie and Jimmy had British accents?

by Anonymousreply 9March 21, 2023 11:45 PM

This colorful film was produced by a faker brainless buffoon named Marty Fuss who, obviously, went to the right synagogue.

by Anonymousreply 10March 21, 2023 11:58 PM

For all its flaws, I still love this movie. It should have been shorter and had more songs. The Broadway adaptation was a huge improvement in that regard

by Anonymousreply 11March 21, 2023 11:58 PM

Ross Hunter was the one who wanted the roadshow version... George Roy Hill wanted a 2 hour comedy...

by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2023 12:28 AM

Here's a great short feature on the costumes of "Millie," by Jean Louis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2023 11:36 AM

Thoroughly Modern Millipede

by Anonymousreply 14March 24, 2023 10:16 AM

Was this written for Julie? It seems like it.

by Anonymousreply 15March 24, 2023 10:18 AM

R15 It was thrown together for Julie because Sandy refused to hand over the copyright for 'The Boy Friend' to the Americans because he thought they'd vulgarise it..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2023 11:29 AM

It's much better than The Boyfriend -- and probably even better known today.

by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2023 11:34 AM

You're hopeless OP you should be highlighting John Gavin and Edward Fox instead of that long jawed warbler. Remember where you are!

by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2023 11:35 AM

^ I have to agree; Sandy's tunes were basic.

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2023 11:48 AM

Fabulous! Lots of fun.

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2023 11:51 AM

You're hopeless, R18, a Datalounger who can't tell the difference between James Fox and Edward Fox!

by Anonymousreply 21March 24, 2023 11:54 AM

James Fox, who definitely got some love in my review...

by Anonymousreply 22March 24, 2023 1:12 PM

I saw TMM as a roadshow when it first opened. It was fun, but tended to drag. It needed more musical numbers, less heavy-handed attempts at comedy. Even in 1967, evil Oriental villains were embarrassingly outdated. And that “Jewish Wedding Song” sequence was nothing more than padding, pandering to Jewish attendees.

It was revealing, too, to see legendary theater stars onscreen. Carol Channing and Beatrice Lillie gave their all, but unintentionally showed why their presences were better suited to the stage. Even in a movie, Channing can’t resist playing to the rafters, and the underused Lillie showed that her brittle style was now sadly outdated. For both, this was pretty much their swansong.

Actually, [R7], one of the best things about it was the joyous roadshow ad campaign, illustrated by the great Bob Peak, who managed to combine one symbol of the 20’s, the ubiquitous cloche hat, with the Dayglo pink look of the Swingin’ Sixties. A beautiful promise of fun.

For all their overlength, and sometimes messy production, I loved going to roadshows. They were an era of oversized expectations, in widescreen and stereo sound, often aiming to overwhelm their audiences, and they often succeeded. It is now sadly mostly impossible to see them the way they were originally intended.

by Anonymousreply 23March 24, 2023 2:22 PM

I love the rhyme--

"They say it's criminal what women'll do".

by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2023 11:25 AM

R23- Roadshows?

What year were you born ?

by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2023 12:48 PM

R13 I think Julie's 'vamp dress' is a toned-down version of this—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2023 7:58 PM

This film is much too long, and it has some good ideas that just don't work, like the Harold Lloyd sequence hanging off the skyscraper front, and the Jewish wedding song (probably included only for the camp aspect of Julie over-enunciating Hebrew words in her bizarre hyperposh accent). And Carol Channing is too much--even though her performance is meant to be over-the-top, it just doesn't work onscreen (you're too close to her--she was best viewed on the stage at a distance). And though John Gavin is gorgeous, he brings nothing to the table other than his square jaw. Finally, the film is meant to parody the "Yellow Peril" racism of the 20s, and instead today looks like it just recapitulates it.

Things about it I love:

*Julie's performance. this is the rare film where she really gets to show her dry comic gifts extensively, and she's very funny if you like dry humor. She's also in her best voice and looks terrific in the 20s fashions.

*The whole idea of a broken elevator that works only if you dance in it. (Funny every single time.)

*the fun songs.

*Beatrice Lillie's performance (done while she was already descending into dementia).

*The Tapioca dance number, which is a hilarious parody of overcomplicated dance numbers no one untrained would ever be able to do at a party in a film.

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2023 8:08 PM

[quote] Channing can’t resist playing to the rafters

She looks like a grotesque clown on screen.

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2023 8:11 PM

Julie Andrews is starring in a new version of this movie. It's called

Thoroughly Modern LESBIAN

by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2023 8:15 PM

I thought Mrs. Meers was a strong female character. Not so her lumpish sidekicks.

by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2023 8:22 PM

James Fox was cute. Quite different when he, a short time later, co-starred in Performance with Mick Jagger and Anita Pallenberg.

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2023 10:02 PM

I was charmed by James Fox as Jimmy, as I only knew him from Performance and The Servant...

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2023 12:38 AM

I always presumed that weird Jewish sequence was included to cash in on the success of Fiddler on the Roof (which was running on Broadway at the time).

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2023 12:51 AM

I liked Mrs. Meer too. This is one of those movies I liken to comfort food. Just fun to watch,

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2023 1:18 AM

I could barely get through it once, it is incredibly dull.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2023 3:53 AM

It was just too lightweight to achieve classic status. I'd gladly trade this and STAR! in for the Julie/DVD She Loves Me.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2023 3:58 AM

Do they make soy sauce pods for laundry?

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2023 4:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!