Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are Americans so Anti-City?

Cities. They’re the places where most Americans live, work and play, but skeptics say they aren’t the “real America.” They drive economic growth, but rarely reap the full benefits of what they generate. Cities are places of opportunity and innovation but saddled with neglectful, if not downright harmful policies. Thomas Jefferson called cities “pestilential to the morals, the health, and the liberties of man.” Donald Trump, a lifelong New Yorker, referred to Baltimore as a “disgusting, rat and rodent-infested mess,” Atlanta as “in horrible shape and falling apart” and inner cities across the country as “burning and crime infested.”

Why all the hate?

In his new book from Columbia University Press, Unequal Cities: Overcoming Anti-Urban Bias to Reduce Inequality in the United States,” economist Richard McGahey explores the deep roots of America’s anti-city bias and points to persistent federal and state policies that keep our cities from reaching their full potential. McGahey’s book offers a pushback against market-oriented urban economic analysis that has exacerbated inequality so profoundly that cities like Miami and New York are now as unequal – or more so – than countries like Brazil and Zambia. He points to problems in the way we talk about cities and illuminates how their political, economic, and racial challenges get obscured.

The fate of U.S. cities matters to everyone, argues McGahey, no matter where they live or how they vote. In the following interview, he discusses his book with the Institute for New Economic Thinking, explaining why if we want a prosperous future, we need to start thinking differently about cities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177March 29, 2023 7:51 PM

One word, OP: racism.

by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2023 2:06 PM

True

by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2023 2:08 PM

philly is growing for the first time in decades, and it is younger professionals and NYC disaffectionates who are increasing the ranks - along with immigrants. not everyone hates cities.

by Anonymousreply 3March 21, 2023 2:15 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 4March 21, 2023 3:57 PM

I'm amazed at how many supposed tough guys are scared of big cities......and yet the gay guys they put down for being "fairies" have no problems living there

by Anonymousreply 5March 21, 2023 8:12 PM

[quote] Why are Americans so Anti-City?

Why are current American journalists so hyperbolic and 'clickbaity' that I REFUSE to waste my time on them?

by Anonymousreply 6March 21, 2023 8:41 PM

OP, it's because the suburbs are/were highly subsidized. They are subsidized to the point that most Americans dream of haivng a house with a yard.

by Anonymousreply 7March 21, 2023 8:48 PM

Good places to die

by Anonymousreply 8March 21, 2023 9:07 PM

OP has never heard of other countries, where this is also the case. Welcome to how the entire world is, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9March 21, 2023 9:09 PM

Americans romanticize open spaces, quiet, free parking, big houses, homogenous populations, religious displays, and clean streets. Cities have less of the sacred American ideals

by Anonymousreply 10March 21, 2023 9:27 PM

R10 is so right.

by Anonymousreply 11March 21, 2023 9:30 PM

And low crime

by Anonymousreply 12March 21, 2023 9:56 PM

Does anyone have any figures of much much federal money is poured into cities, versus rural areas?

Also, don’t forget that many suburbs are not bedroom communities, but are actually smaller, lower density towns and cities near big cities, with their own centers, businesses and industries. Many people prefer small city life to the nightmare of living in cities like NYC.

by Anonymousreply 13March 21, 2023 10:02 PM

[quote]Americans romanticize open spaces, quiet, free parking, big houses, homogenous populations, religious displays, and clean streets. Cities have less of the sacred American ideals

And yet, what's going on within the Norman Rockwell imagery? See the perfect little Murdaugh family. So many of those "big houses" are full of lies.

[quote]Does anyone have any figures of much much federal money is poured into cities, versus rural areas?

No one needs to know the exact figures to know who the leeches are and who actually provides the money. Here's a clue: Not the majority of rubes who scream "MAGA!" and that includes their dear leader who doesn't pay shit.

by Anonymousreply 14March 21, 2023 10:04 PM

Because they are stupid cunts whose life ended after high school. They buy guns, go to church and get fat. Once you leave the city (NYC) it is surprising how fat everyone is.

by Anonymousreply 15March 21, 2023 10:21 PM

Why are the French so anti-suburb?

Because that's where they send their minorities.

Sincerely,

by Anonymousreply 16March 21, 2023 10:23 PM

Cities? That’s like where you overpay for a smaller place with crack heads in front, shitty parking, and little productive retail exists. Sounds wonderful! Throw in excellent public schools too.

by Anonymousreply 17March 21, 2023 10:29 PM

Free parking makes life so muggy easier

by Anonymousreply 18March 21, 2023 10:32 PM

Limited parking makes life so mugger easier

by Anonymousreply 19March 21, 2023 10:34 PM

Crime.

by Anonymousreply 20March 21, 2023 10:34 PM

And small square footage

by Anonymousreply 21March 21, 2023 10:35 PM

No washer and dryer in homes

by Anonymousreply 22March 21, 2023 10:35 PM

live across the Hudson from Manhattan where just 10 minutes from midtown it's cleaner, greener, quieter, safer, more economical, friendlier and less crowded.

by Anonymousreply 23March 21, 2023 10:37 PM

It's the MAGATs pushing this fucked up and lying narrative about America and what is "real" Amerca as opposed to what is not "real" America.

Real America is comprised of white people who live in small towns and suburbs, rarely venture into the dangerous urban areas lest they become tainted by the Homos, Blacks, Academics, Uppity Wimmin and Joos who live in them. They pretend there's a "better and more wholesome" America where they live and commie scum everywhere they don't live.

It's just another way to push that political wedge issue trolling. Rural against Urban. White against Black. Christian against Jewish. Uneducated against Educated. Women against Men. Gays against Straights.

This Wedge has it all, wheeeee!

by Anonymousreply 24March 21, 2023 10:43 PM

Americans want big lawns and three car garages

by Anonymousreply 25March 21, 2023 10:44 PM

Why do NYers need constant justification for their life choices?

by Anonymousreply 26March 21, 2023 10:44 PM

r17 is posting from the 1980's "crack heads in front" . He must be 80 years old.

by Anonymousreply 27March 21, 2023 10:45 PM

r26 is fat.

by Anonymousreply 28March 21, 2023 10:46 PM

[quote]Crime.

Crime goes on in the 'burbs, you just can't hear the domestic abuse because the homes aren't close together and the husbands are usually buddies with the local cops.

by Anonymousreply 29March 21, 2023 10:55 PM

Cities are unhealthy with people living like animals hence COVID, and it won't be the last pandemic, big cities will empty after the next one.

by Anonymousreply 30March 21, 2023 10:56 PM

Americans? Which ones, OP?

Those in the U.S.? Guatemala? Guyana?

America isn't just the U.S., unless you are a tinymeat white supremacy lover.

by Anonymousreply 31March 21, 2023 10:57 PM
by Anonymousreply 32March 21, 2023 10:59 PM

When there's a mass shooting in the burbs r29 it's all "thoughts and prayers" When a black man pushes someone off a subway platform in the city its CRIME!

by Anonymousreply 33March 21, 2023 10:59 PM

This board is United States centric, and is the US, “America” means U.S.

by Anonymousreply 34March 21, 2023 10:59 PM

and in the US, “America” means U.S.

by Anonymousreply 35March 21, 2023 11:00 PM

[quote]Why do NYers need constant justification for their life choices?

As a NYer, I'd like to know why there is this obsession from outside of NY with magnifying crime here as if your entire knowledge regarding NY is watching "The Warriors" on a loop? I mean a lot of you sound like that imbecile "John McCain's daughter" who claimed it was a warzone outside of her NYC apartment when she wasn't even in NYC when she made the claim and one of her neighbors outed her as a complete liar.

by Anonymousreply 36March 21, 2023 11:01 PM

OK. WE GET IT R34. Thanks for the lecture.

by Anonymousreply 37March 21, 2023 11:02 PM

[quote]Americans romanticize open spaces, quiet, free parking, big houses, homogenous populations, religious displays, and clean streets.

Sounds lovely.

Add low crime.

It is the ideal not just for Americans but for millions of people all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 38March 21, 2023 11:03 PM

R31 do people from Canada, Mexico, etc, South America EVER refer to themselves as Americans? I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 39March 21, 2023 11:04 PM

R39, there are people from Latin America and Canada who do insist Americans are self-absorbed for referring to themselves as Americans. Which is dumb because even people from countries OUTSIDE the western hemisphere refer to people from the US as Americans.

by Anonymousreply 40March 21, 2023 11:56 PM

[Quote]When there's a mass shooting in the burbs [R29] it's all "thoughts and prayers" When a black man pushes someone off a subway platform in the city its CRIME!

I think it's safe to say people view both mass shootings and assaults as crimes.

by Anonymousreply 41March 22, 2023 12:39 AM

Over the course of my life, I was raised in a rural area, have lived in cities, and now a suburb. Spending hours of my life in traffic is not something I care for. From my experience, people in large cities are some of the grouchiest people I've ever met.

by Anonymousreply 42March 22, 2023 12:53 AM

Isn't this the third or fourth recent post about this subject? I wondered why there was this sudden push to demonize non-urban areas in the U.S., but I think this quote from his book explains this author's perspective:

[quote]... there’s something about our current capitalist system that produces inequality throughout the economy, especially in cities. Some of these economic forces are shared, but I think it’s heightened in the United States by political formations which are deeply tied to structural racism in our metropolitan areas.

by Anonymousreply 43March 22, 2023 2:09 AM

Because they are mostly third world hovels now OP.

by Anonymousreply 44March 22, 2023 2:21 AM

Ugh, this thread points to whom I’l block

by Anonymousreply 45March 22, 2023 2:25 AM

[quote]Ugh, this thread points to whom I’l block

Mary!

Ya gotta love the assholes who feel such a need to make announcements like R45.

Hon, no one gives a rat's ass about who you plan to block.

by Anonymousreply 46March 22, 2023 2:34 AM

Hehe

by Anonymousreply 47March 22, 2023 2:40 AM

They’re dirty and dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 48March 22, 2023 2:42 AM

[quote] philly is growing for the first time in decades

Philly’s crime has broken records. People are leaving in droves.

by Anonymousreply 49March 22, 2023 2:42 AM

Cities are becoming food deserts thanks to all the looting and crime. Drugs all over the place, people shitting on the streets. People who choose to live in cities are insane.

by Anonymousreply 50March 22, 2023 2:44 AM

NYC has a modest crime rate, but many cities have horrendous crime rates, including St Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimore, and Memphis. Those cities day after day have drive by shootings, robberies, and random attacks. Even in DC, carjackings are out of control and prone to happen anywhere in the city.

by Anonymousreply 51March 22, 2023 2:45 AM

You don't have to put up with this, the Meghan Markle threads are 👆

by Anonymousreply 52March 22, 2023 2:49 AM

I work with people who drive 50 mi. to and from work so they can live in a hick town and avoid living next to... 'urban types'.

by Anonymousreply 53March 22, 2023 2:50 AM

Naperville is the greatest city ever and anyone who disagrees can’t afford it.

by Anonymousreply 54March 22, 2023 2:54 AM

R54 is proof that suburbanites can be addicts too.

by Anonymousreply 55March 22, 2023 3:04 AM

R55 Addicted to winning. Our kids are always number 1!

by Anonymousreply 56March 22, 2023 3:09 AM

[Quote] NYC has a modest crime rate, but many cities have horrendous crime rates, including St Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimore, and Memphis. Those cities day after day have drive by shootings, robberies, and random attacks. Even in DC, carjackings are out of control and prone to happen anywhere in the city

Don't be so modest. NY has daily stabbings, shootings, assaults . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 22, 2023 3:51 AM

Cities are safer and more productive as places for gay men and all LGBTQ to live. Let the straights have the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 58March 22, 2023 4:27 AM

^ sounds like someone who thinks contemporary suburbs are stuck in the 50s

by Anonymousreply 59March 22, 2023 4:44 AM

Suburbs just have a different kind of life and it's not for everyone. I much preferred cities when I was younger although I live in a small beach community now that I'm old. I prefer a quieter, duller, much less busy life now.

As a young professional, I can't imagine what I would have done trapped in a suburb or rural area. The city has an energy and excitement that I've never found in the suburbs. The commuting alone would have driven me insane. I needed city life but more importantly I needed the people. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had access to LGBT people around me all those years.

Yes there are gays in the 'burbs but it's a very different kind of life. I wanted to live a city life and I'm so glad that I did.

by Anonymousreply 60March 22, 2023 5:07 AM

I'll take quiet, natural beauty over the traffic any day.

by Anonymousreply 61March 22, 2023 12:39 PM

[quote]Why are Americans so Anti-City?

They're so crowded, nobody wants to live in them.

by Anonymousreply 62March 22, 2023 12:45 PM

This talk about traffic makes me want to scream. It's SUBURBS where you need to own a car to get around, not cities. Therefore it should be suburbs that are choked in traffic, not cities. But, NYC -where I live - is admittedly so full of cars and traffic due to the millions of people who refuse to live without a car, even though NYC has the most extensive mass transit system in the nation. Needless to say, I don't own a car, so I'm not being hypocritical.

It's absolutely maddening.

by Anonymousreply 63March 22, 2023 1:19 PM

[quote]Philly’s crime has broken records. People are leaving in droves.

as someone who has lived in philly for over twenty years, yes, violent crime is up, it just doesn't seem to go away on its own. it is VERY localized for the most part. my neighborhood in south philly hasn't seen a homicide in decades. BUT, if you were actually literate, the census has philly gaining population in the past one, but pesky facts like that aren't as fun as sensational idiocy like you like.

by Anonymousreply 64March 22, 2023 1:44 PM

[quote]It's absolutely maddening.

I live in philly, and get around fine by walking the fifteen minutes or so to what ever I need. once a week I might bicycle. to the airport I take a taxi. once in a while I need to haul something and then I borrow a friend's car. that's maybe once a month. .

the idea of never walking to one place or another and the only thing walkable is your neighbor's house is horrible to me.

by Anonymousreply 65March 22, 2023 1:46 PM

R64/r65 = same moron.

by Anonymousreply 66March 22, 2023 2:43 PM

Philly’s crime rate is so out of control that a city councilwoman was car jacked at gunpoint. This was one of those abolish the police politicians too.

by Anonymousreply 67March 22, 2023 2:44 PM

American cities are over. They’re third world shitholes.

by Anonymousreply 68March 22, 2023 2:45 PM

lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 22, 2023 2:45 PM

Oops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 22, 2023 2:46 PM

Oh, no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 22, 2023 2:46 PM

Yep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 22, 2023 2:47 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 22, 2023 2:47 PM

Philly is wonderful in so many ways but it's still a shithole.

It's the city that has the highest percentage of people that live below the poverty line: nearly 23%.

by Anonymousreply 74March 22, 2023 2:56 PM

The Brits hate London and Londoners

The French hate Paris and Parisians

The Germans hate Berlin and Berliners

Israelis will tell you Tel Aviv is not "the real Israel"

Japanese will say the same thing about Tokyo

Aussies about Sydney.

Etc. and so on.

Why are we blaming this on Americans?

by Anonymousreply 75March 22, 2023 2:59 PM

The death of cities has been predicted over and over and is never realized - they ebb & flow. We all have different needs and for those with the means to do so,you can pick what suits you best. I am saddened to see all the vitriol aimed at Philadelphia;I lived in Center City for years very happily and could do so again. There’s no denying that crime is an issue that needs to be addressed- it’s also true that the worst crime is concentrated in particular areas of the city,especially murders. Truthfully they are not areas that one is likely to frequent and therefore your chances of being a victim of murder is slim. My current CA suburb is rated as one of the best places to live in the state and even here we’ve had random murders- a woman was stabbed to death on a Sunday morning at a gas station,on her way to church. The assailant was a stranger with mental health issues. There are no guarantees of safety anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 76March 22, 2023 3:02 PM

[quote]Philly is wonderful in so many ways but it's still a shithole.

then move to the fucking florida coast.

I just think it's fatuous that people will slag on a city without any personal experience of what the place is like. Philly has abject poverty, yes, and that leads directly to crime. But I've lived here and had a peaceful existence for over twenty years, I can't imagine living in the suburbs just because they are "Safer". I like the big city and though it could be better, you're not helping

by Anonymousreply 77March 22, 2023 3:03 PM

I live in Philly. Most of us here find the hysteria over crime way overblown, especially when coming from people who not only don't live here, but never come here and maybe visited once decades ago.

Crime is a problem for sure, but it's a problem everywhere, in every big city and many small cities and towns. R64 is correct that the crime here is also localized; it largely occurs in poor neighborhoods where people are desperate, resources are scarce, and services are non-existent. Most of us libe in quiet neighborhoods and see very little crime. The rhetoric that Philly is "a warzone" is Fox News propaganda. Philly is a struggling city but it's fine to live here. Don't believe what people who aren't from here and never come here say. They're wrong.

I'll also say that I love living in a city where I don't need a car. What's "maddening" to me is leaving here and having to drive everywhere in almost any other city. Getting in a car to drive a quarter of a mile because there's no pedestrian infrastructure, just interstates and on ramps, no sidewalks or surface throughways--to me that is the epitome of "maddening."

by Anonymousreply 78March 22, 2023 3:05 PM

[quote] Most of us here find the hysteria over crime way overblown, especially when coming from people who not only don't live here

as mentioned above, the most violent areas you'd have to look REALLY hard to find, they are there, and terrible, but you don't just pop into them walking from 30th street station.

friends moved to Point Breeze in 2005, a rough, grimy and honestly dangerous neighborhood at the time. they got broken into frequently and when they would go away would station one of their friends to look after the place while gone. Now, they planted trees in front of their house, the area sports a burgeoning dining circuit, and she goes on pub crawls with her girls friends in the neighborhood. the REAL issue though is that this improvement of the neighborhood has priced out older black residents who can't afford to live their anymore, they are forced to move from an area they grew up in.

by Anonymousreply 79March 22, 2023 3:12 PM

[quote]ust interstates and on ramps, no sidewalks or surface throughways--to me that is the epitome of "maddening."

indeed

an elderly aunt lives in a suburb of phoenix and in the subdivision there are no sidewalks. you have to walk into the road to walk anywhere, this seems insane to me

by Anonymousreply 80March 22, 2023 3:14 PM

[quote]then move to the fucking florida coast. I just think it's fatuous that people will slag on a city without any personal experience of what the place is like. Philly has abject poverty, yes, and that leads directly to crime. But I've lived here and had a peaceful existence for over twenty years, I can't imagine living in the suburbs just because they are "Safer". I like the big city and though it could be better, you're not helping

I'm not helping by pointing out the truth? It's a shithole.

I've been visiting Philly since I was a child 6 decades ago. And I know all about city living and crime having lived in Manhattan through the 1970s.

It is absurd to say things like "well, your chance of being murdered is slim" That is technically true but living in a city with a high crime rate changes your behavior. It is always an issue.

And yeah, to me it's a shithole. Especially after living in cities outside of the US for most of my life. where street crime is virtually non existent.

by Anonymousreply 81March 22, 2023 3:19 PM

[quote]I'm not helping by pointing out the truth? It's a shithole.

a subjective statement at best

[quote]I've been visiting Philly since I was a child 6 decades ago

I know only the past twenty, it isn't that hellish

[quote]with a high crime rate changes your behavior. It is always an issue.

you can be murdered at any time, bunky. you just FEEL like you're safer

[quote]Especially after living in cities outside of the US for most of my life. where street crime is virtually non existent.

I lived in amsterdam for ten years, and cologne for four. I definitely saw a LOT of street crime, but it was mainly theft and passed out drunks or junkies pissing themselves. homelessness is far crueler in the US, this is for sure. but what would happen if a homeless person lay down on the street in a suburb? I'm sure they wouldn't be kind to that person, and even in europe

by Anonymousreply 82March 22, 2023 3:25 PM

I grew up in the country but a 2- or 3-hour drive to 5 major cities. My parents, most of my family, the yokels and hicks who cultivated strong accents in the early years of adolescence (as a faithful marker of those who would go on to other places and those who would not), all had a deep distrust of cities. The idea of a vacation to a city was a real head scratcher to them: Why would anyone want to spend time in cities? among city people? Cities were places of fear, fear of getting lost, of being hoodwinked by the street smart, of being fleeced of money, of being shamed for their unfashionable ways, of being seduced by some wickedness that was rooted in urban life and those clever practitioners of urbanity. My parents would concede and take me to see museums and cultural sites, but usually under the guise of an xmas shopping venture...ostensibly to see the big city decorations.

Most everyone in my town of a few thousand would drop some remark or aspersion about cities if the subject arose. The few exceptions were a small handful of physicians' wives with expensive tastes, a few teachers who knew what cities offered, and a few oddballs who were intrigued rather than put off by their encounters with cities and city life. The good teachers made a point of organizing urban field trips, of fostering a sense of excitement rather than fear about cities.

Anyone I went in the U.S. outside of big cities and their suburbs was more or less the same, different only by degree and nuance. Country people felt it their duty to warn others of the wickedness of cities which most often came down to having choices -- as opposed to just following the path laid out for oneself in the country. Curiosity, exploration, interchange...these were not encouraged only feared. Even as a kid I was struck by how primitive the impulse was and how predictable the reaction when a country yokel realizes he's speaking with a city slicker.

by Anonymousreply 83March 22, 2023 4:30 PM

R82 Philadelphia: 285 nonfatal and 72 fatal shooting victims as of Mar 20, 2023.

And that's only 3 months into the year.

Sorry, but for most people in civilized countries that would define a city as a shithole.

It would be one thing if Philadelphia were some hotbed of influential creativity to balance things out, but it's not.

by Anonymousreply 84March 22, 2023 4:54 PM

Philadelphia Inquirer: Carjackings hit an all-time high in 2022, with more than 1,300 reported, the Philadelphia Police Department told The Inquirer last week.

1,300 reported car jackings. 1,300!

No that's not Medellín Colombia. It's Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 85March 22, 2023 5:00 PM

It’s not just Americans. I live in a region of Germany that consists of mostly small cities and villages, and the people always shit on large cities.

by Anonymousreply 86March 22, 2023 5:03 PM

All these Philly reponses make me want to get some C-4.

by Anonymousreply 87March 22, 2023 5:06 PM

I don't think Americans are anti city. But boy oh boy do we have ugly cities.

by Anonymousreply 88March 22, 2023 5:27 PM

Urban Renewal is one of the dumbest, most insane things this country has done. Destroying whole neighborhoods for highways. Just fucking madness. Many pictures of buildings destroyed to make way for highways look like something from out of the WW2 Europe. But we purposefully did that to ourselves!

by Anonymousreply 89March 22, 2023 5:37 PM

[quote] I live in Philly. Most of us here find the hysteria over crime way overblown

It absolutely is not. South Philly is finding dead bodies in freezers. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 90March 22, 2023 5:48 PM

The videos of people in Philadelphia having mass shootouts are through the roof. It looks like fucking Brazil!

by Anonymousreply 91March 22, 2023 5:49 PM

Philly also has needles all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 92March 22, 2023 5:50 PM

"C-4?" The explosive?

WTF is wrong with you, R87? Who hurt you?

by Anonymousreply 93March 22, 2023 6:57 PM

It's not a coincidence that I have most of the city-trashers on this thread blocked. I only block Trumpers and extremely anti-trans posters. Conservatives hate cities because they hate LGBTQ people, and black people. This is ALWAYS the alignment on this topic.

by Anonymousreply 94March 22, 2023 6:59 PM

Conservatives hate anyone who is not a white American. Or white adjacent (Nikki Haley).

by Anonymousreply 95March 22, 2023 7:02 PM

R93 - Wilson Goode and his cops, silly!

by Anonymousreply 96March 22, 2023 8:13 PM

[quote]The rhetoric that Philly is "a warzone" is Fox News propaganda.

Do you ever watch the Philadelphia local news on ABC, CBS and NBC?

You don't need Fox to show us that Philly is indeed a war zone.

by Anonymousreply 97March 22, 2023 8:18 PM

R63 Yeah, I don't know who's to blame for the all the cars in cities, the suburbanites who drive to the city for work or the city dwellers who own cars despite the many transit options available. I would imagine it's a mix. In Chicagoland, there are people who end up spending two hours or more in traffic during both rush hours daily. That's crazy! The last thing I want to do is spend my time away from work sitting in traffic. I'll take a smaller city or even a picturesque rural setting over urban madness anytime!

by Anonymousreply 98March 22, 2023 10:50 PM

It's the end of an era

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 22, 2023 10:58 PM

[quote]the crime here is also localized; it largely occurs in poor neighborhoods where people are desperate, resources are scarce, and services are non-existent.

The crime happens in black neighborhoods. Everybody knows it.

by Anonymousreply 100March 22, 2023 11:19 PM

Wow, you really cracked the code, R100. You're really smart, aren't you?!? Well done! Good job!

by Anonymousreply 101March 23, 2023 12:34 AM

I have to say Baltimore looks like a post apocalyptic nightmare, even more so than normal. COVID put the coffin nails in it, Fells Point is no longer a thriving strip. I went over to the Lexington market and it was closed down and there were needles all over the sidewalks and amputees in wheelchairs day drinking. It’s really depressing. And I am a fan of Baltimore, but the charm in charm city is dying fast.

by Anonymousreply 102March 23, 2023 1:11 AM

Lol how many of these city boosters are in over their head in a marginal area? I’m sure some are. They still go to the suburbs when they need real stores. Can’t get basics at a boutique… I mean you can but not realistic here.

by Anonymousreply 103March 23, 2023 1:25 AM

Baltimore has charm despite the danger. I was recently in Federal Hill, and found it wonderful. People were so friendly, like the South

by Anonymousreply 104March 23, 2023 1:57 AM

Lamborghini

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 23, 2023 1:59 AM

Some of you... lmao. Do you really not know the reason, or are you just playing?

by Anonymousreply 106March 23, 2023 2:01 AM

I love how R103 bases their entire assessment of city living on shopping options. Hello, shallow suburbanite!

by Anonymousreply 107March 23, 2023 2:01 AM

Enlighten us, R106. Is it the poors, the blacks, the gays...? Maybe the jews?

You really think you're clever, don't you? Like it's some big secret, special thing to be a basic bigot who's scared of anyone different, and you're so smart for figuring it out.

by Anonymousreply 108March 23, 2023 2:05 AM

R108 It’s the thins.

by Anonymousreply 109March 23, 2023 2:07 AM

[quote] They still go to the suburbs when they need real stores.

This is so braindead.

by Anonymousreply 110March 23, 2023 2:16 AM

I'm not anti city. I grew up in Chicago and lived there until 20 yrs ago, because of property taxes and crime, and the awful state the School system is, we moved out of state. I miss Chicago very much and now that my kids are grown and if I could afford it, I'd probably move back. I miss the city, but it doesn't look like things are getting better. Its a shame because Chicago has wonderful Museums, restaurants, Cubs games. Its just a damn shame.

by Anonymousreply 111March 23, 2023 2:20 AM

[quote]Some of you... lmao. Do you really not know the reason, or are you just playing?

We all know what the demographic is of those carrying out the overwhelming majority of street crime, the car jackings, the looting.

But we're supposed to pretend we don't know.

by Anonymousreply 112March 23, 2023 2:23 AM

[quote]Lol how many of these city boosters are in over their head in a marginal area? I’m sure some are.

Yes, poor people are so funny. You sound charming.

by Anonymousreply 113March 23, 2023 2:30 AM

R112 French bulldogs?

by Anonymousreply 114March 23, 2023 2:36 AM

‘The Five’ co-hosts discuss rampant crime in San Francisco and thieves breaking into the car of two CNN correspondents who were covering a story on street crime

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 23, 2023 3:36 AM

R97, people like this yahoo are also the ones who ballyhooed downtown Portland as a war zone of riots, while my friends ten blocks away would go about their lives completely normally.

The REAL issue with these cunts is they fundamentally don’t care about the plight of the poor in the city slums, or even the victims of the crimes, violent or property, in the cities, they just get off screaming about things online, useless and worthless.

by Anonymousreply 116March 23, 2023 12:17 PM

The litter in cities really is disgusting

by Anonymousreply 117March 23, 2023 12:36 PM

Americans like new cities like Phoenix, Dallas, Orlando, Nashville, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Salt Lake City. They offer city amenities without the degree of downsides of old dense cities

by Anonymousreply 118March 23, 2023 12:38 PM

[quote] Americans like new cities like Phoenix, Dallas, Orlando, Nashville, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Salt Lake City

Most of these cities are hideously ugly.

by Anonymousreply 119March 23, 2023 12:43 PM

[quote]The REAL issue with these cunts is they fundamentally don’t care about the plight of the poor in the city slums, or even the victims of the crimes, violent or property, in the cities, they just get off screaming about things online, useless and worthless.

Actually the one who doesn't care is YOU trying to trivialize what is a genuine problem.

Sorry Bub, but for civilized people, 1,300 carjackings, 562 murders, and nearly 1,800 people shot does indeed represent a war zone.

If this were happening in a Mexican city, the US Gov. would be issuing travel warnings.

But keep acting like it's really not such a big deal. No one is buying it.

by Anonymousreply 120March 23, 2023 1:25 PM

Philly as a whole is not a war zone. But the parts of Philly that are bad are as bad as the worst Latin American cities. Same as Chicago. The homicide in Chicago's north side is only about 3 per 100,000 while the west side is something like 150 per 100,000. Just pure insanity.

by Anonymousreply 121March 23, 2023 1:28 PM

I miss the eighties when all cities had some competitive drive - even Akron and Toledo - and hadn't given up.

by Anonymousreply 122March 23, 2023 1:45 PM

I'd much rather be carjacked by a black man in the city than be massacred in a shopping mall by some white conservative with an AR15 in AMERICA'S HEARTLAND!

by Anonymousreply 123March 23, 2023 2:08 PM

[quote]I'd much rather be carjacked by a black man in the city than be massacred in a shopping mall by some white conservative with an AR15 in AMERICA'S HEARTLAND!

Well, you're exponentially more likely to experience the former than the latter, so I guess that's working out for you.

by Anonymousreply 124March 23, 2023 3:28 PM

Not a single point made here refutes R1. Most of the anti-city responses actually demonstrate it.

by Anonymousreply 125March 23, 2023 4:02 PM

Excuse me R125 but I just don't want to be next to THOSE people. I get so scared when I see one of them shopping at Macys!!!

by Anonymousreply 126March 23, 2023 4:12 PM

R31 you're fucking stupid

by Anonymousreply 127March 23, 2023 4:17 PM

[quote]Why are Americans so Anti-City?

BECAUSE WE BUILT THIS CITY ON ROCK AND ROLL AND THEY CAN'T STAND IT!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 128March 23, 2023 4:19 PM

I really hate people like r31 who think the Americas means they are "Americans."

How fucking dumb can you get? República de Guatemala does not have America in it's official government title.

So you want to call United Stateans? Estados Unidos Mexicanos has United States in it's name!

What other country has America in it's government name!?

Fuck you and fuck off with your lack of geography bullshit ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 129March 23, 2023 4:22 PM

[quote] Philly as a whole is not a war zone.

It absolutely is.

by Anonymousreply 130March 23, 2023 4:25 PM

Yay!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 23, 2023 4:29 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132March 23, 2023 4:29 PM

R131 Convenient shopping so you don’t have to go to the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 133March 23, 2023 4:31 PM

Trash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 23, 2023 4:31 PM

Too many out-of-control KIDS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135March 23, 2023 4:35 PM

[quote]I'd much rather be carjacked by a black man in the city than be massacred in a shopping mall by some white conservative with an AR15 in AMERICA'S HEARTLAND!

By conservative white men in America's heartland?

FYI, the mass shooting capital of America is Chicago.

And it sure isn't conservative white men doing the shooting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 23, 2023 6:15 PM

I've been financially exiled to the country for the last 20 years and would love to see anything that resembles culture besides another version of the local high school's Our Town or the latest Marvel Comic film at the one movie theater here. it's safe but that's all I can say for it.

by Anonymousreply 137March 23, 2023 6:21 PM

[quote] Why are Americans so Anti-City?

America's growth was very sort of random and haphazard in comparison to Europe.

Cities in Europe have spent years figuring out how to accommodate people and get them around. They also had....I hate to say it as a benefit but rebuilding from WWII allowed for a more recent, modern system to be put into place.

Europe spends more on the public good....varies from country to county and it's not perfect there, either. But it also isn't the fend-for-yourself horrors we're seeing in some American cities.

Many people believe suburban living is better. Of course they aren't considering the vast amount of infrastructure put into place so their fat asses can live 45 minutes away from a city and yet support their choices. In America, the suburbs are perceived to be safe because there are fewer black/brown/others in the suburbs. Never mind that Junior will pick up a gun and slay the entire Boy Scout troop, but safety to them is Keep The Dark People Away.

by Anonymousreply 138March 23, 2023 6:23 PM

[quote]In America, the suburbs are perceived to be safe because there are fewer black/brown/others in the suburbs. Never mind that Junior will pick up a gun and slay the entire Boy Scout troop, but safety to them is Keep The Dark People Away.

The suburbs are perceived to be safer because they are.

by Anonymousreply 139March 23, 2023 6:29 PM

They're not.

by Anonymousreply 140March 23, 2023 6:34 PM

The violent-crime rate in urban areas was 48 percent higher in 2021 than in suburban areas.

The property-crime rate in urban areas was nearly twice as high in 2021 as in suburban areas (157.5 to 86.8 victimizations per 1,000 households)..

These statistics do not include murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141March 23, 2023 6:38 PM

R140 You do not know what you are taking about. You're an idiot.

National Crime Victimization Survey | Bureau of Justice Statistics: "In addition, the violent-crime rate in urban areas was 48 percent higher in 2021 than in suburban areas, more than tripling any difference in urban and suburban rates registered from 2018 to 2020. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 23, 2023 6:39 PM

R141 Sorry I did not see your post

by Anonymousreply 143March 23, 2023 6:42 PM

No police sirens all day long... no speeding traffic on my dead end cul de sac street. Dozens of woodpeckers, blue jays, snow birds, finches, doves, cardinals and more at my bird feeders all day long throughout the year and the colorful ones during the summer, as well as hummingbirds, swarms of butterflies and dragonflies. The foxes and possum that walk up on my deck, expecting me to hand feed them whatever I got for them that day.

The one downside is I had to add another fence around the pool because of the deer wanting to swim and not being able to get out of the pool.

And I do feel safe, since every home on my dead end cul de sac is armed to the max, including me. I dare someone to come to my neighborhood and start shit in my Live Free Or Die, NH neighborhood.

I love my redneck neighbors and they love this big fag.

Yes, that's the map of where I live. I blurred it out a bit, but nice and quiet and that is all protected land all around me that can never be built on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 23, 2023 6:52 PM

I'm done with cities. I don't need them like i did when I was young.

Now I want to live about an hour away and go in every few days. I have work to do and I know what that is. I don't need city life for that.

by Anonymousreply 145March 23, 2023 7:13 PM

. Thomas Jefferson called cities “pestilential to the morals, the health, and the liberties of man.” -- True

Donald Trump, a lifelong New Yorker, referred to Baltimore as a “disgusting, rat and rodent-infested mess,” -- True

Atlanta as “in horrible shape and falling apart” -- True

and inner cities across the country as “burning and crime infested.” -- True

Adventures in a San Francisco mall several days ago

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Police in San Francisco have responded to a series of brawls at Stonestown Galleria by adding more patrols on Monday. The last two incidents involved several dozen youths duking it out while streaming it live on social media.

Stonestown has increased security and @SFPDTaraval will be increasing patrols starting tomorrow. I have been communicating with the @SFUnified as this has been happening during afterschool hours and particularly Wednesdays, early release days.

Over the past couple of weeks, there have altercations between young folks at Stonestown mall resulting in physical injuries. Stonestown private security was overwhelmed and SFPD officers were deployed. Videos of the altercations have been posted and promoted on Instagram live

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 23, 2023 7:51 PM

"I'd much rather be carjacked by a black man in the city than be massacred in a shopping mall by some white conservative with an AR15 in AMERICA'S HEARTLAND!"

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on DL. Maybe one of the dumbest things I've ever read, period.

by Anonymousreply 147March 23, 2023 9:15 PM

R141, "City-Journal.org" describes itself as a conservative website. Thanks for outing yourself and your biases by posting that link.

by Anonymousreply 148March 23, 2023 9:20 PM

[quote]Excuse me [R125] but I just don't want to be next to THOSE people. I get so scared when I see one of them shopping at Macys!!! - Total not racist Karen

Avoiding a group of people who statistically commit the most violent crime in America is not "racist".

by Anonymousreply 149March 23, 2023 10:48 PM

[quote] my dead end cul de sac

Hah R144 you said it!

by Anonymousreply 150March 23, 2023 11:33 PM

RATS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 24, 2023 5:23 PM

It's especially odd since cities vary so much. But that plays out when you asks people specific questions about cities and they start breaking down places they like and don't - so in their head, being "anti-city" or "anti-urban" is more specific than it may appear. Basically, "the cities I like aren't, you know, city cities, not like X or Y."

by Anonymousreply 152March 24, 2023 5:28 PM

Because cities include "otherness." Everyone who's not like you lives in cities. While we know that this isn't really universally true - there's diverse suburbs and towns; there's some relatively non-diverse cities - it's a pretty well established symbolic template.

There are, of course, completely tangible reasons to be anti-city (or at least anti specific cities) - traffic, crime, poor schools - which have been mentioned many times on this thread. But, America has always had a foundational anti-city sentiment even when these things don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 153March 24, 2023 5:35 PM

Yes, why can’t I live in a place with people crapping on the sidewalks, living in tents and shooting up next to my home like in LA?

by Anonymousreply 154March 24, 2023 5:51 PM

Cities in the US = poor. There’s no way around it. It’s where the country’s dregs of society live and make up the population. People got tired of it along time ago and now with all these psycho progressive majors in charge, people left in droves.

by Anonymousreply 155March 24, 2023 5:53 PM

Cities are bad for your health and the environment. They’re unlivable.

by Anonymousreply 156March 24, 2023 5:54 PM

There are two kinds of people: those who depend on public transportation, housing that's close to healthcare, food shopping,cultural amenities, and other basic living stuff, and those who have private transportation and enough space in their living quarters to stock up and store stuff and desire privacy and quiet.

by Anonymousreply 157March 24, 2023 5:55 PM

[quote] Yes, why can’t I live in a place with people crapping on the sidewalks, living in tents and shooting up next to my home like in LA?

Have you ever been to LA? By my home this morning it’s mainly been squirrels, birds and lizards, but i guess you know better lol.

Side note but it wouldn’t hurt to show homeless people a bit of compassion or empathy babe x.

by Anonymousreply 158March 24, 2023 6:14 PM

[quote]Have you ever been to LA? By my home this morning it’s mainly been squirrels, birds and lizards, but i guess you know better lol.

It's not all about how things are over by your home.

[quote]but i guess you know better

And of course we get the tired clichéd passive-agressive "zinger".

by Anonymousreply 159March 24, 2023 9:39 PM

R158 there must be a reason LA is considered the homeless capital of the US

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160March 24, 2023 10:09 PM

This is a great read on what I've been saying. The suburbs are chaning and they aren't going anywhere. The future will see cities continuing to become more urban (a reaction against the urban renewal of a few decades ago) and suburbs will become more urban as well while retaining much of what makes them "suburban".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161March 25, 2023 1:56 AM

Bats are just rats with wings. It makes sense that rats would be natural reservoir.

by Anonymousreply 162March 25, 2023 5:03 AM

Only woke city types would ban Skittles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163March 25, 2023 1:40 PM

City of Brotherly Love

"Four males just shooting up the block with no care in the world"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 25, 2023 2:58 PM

SMH

by Anonymousreply 165March 25, 2023 3:33 PM

The entire American diet is additives, preservatives, and toxic chemicals. Banning skittles and Hot Tamales? That's an extremely narrow band of - I don't even know what to call it. Is it really progressive or woke, since I'd imagine 99% of progressive or woke people would never even think to ban candy?

by Anonymousreply 166March 25, 2023 3:53 PM

Cities are unpredictable, diverse, and uncontrollable . Those are things most Americans despise or fear

by Anonymousreply 167March 25, 2023 4:24 PM

R167 Those are things most people despise or fear

by Anonymousreply 168March 25, 2023 4:44 PM

People in the old dense big cities like or tolerate things the rest of America cannot

by Anonymousreply 169March 25, 2023 5:13 PM

I live in Northern Virginia. I used to enjoy going into DC, but now I try to avoid going into the City if possible. I hate the congestion, litter, aggressive panhandling, expensiveness, lack of parking and expensive parking, unreliable public transportation, foul smells, and rudeness. I find myself stressed out and rushed in the City. And then there is the horrendous crime.

by Anonymousreply 170March 25, 2023 5:17 PM

People like cities when they appreciate things that cities can offer AND they can insulate themselves from the aspects of cities that are troublesome. What specifically people need to be insulated from varies from person to person. Can be as easy as living in a nice neighborhood within a city and avoiding the worst areas of the city. When bad things (again based on the specific person) start spilling over consistently into the "insulation zone," then people who like cities become less enamored and want out. Maybe just "out" to a different neighborhood, or out of the city altogether.

Granted these "rules" of what you're willing to accept and what you want to be insulated from applies no matter where you live, but seem to be a more recurrent consideration in cities.

by Anonymousreply 171March 25, 2023 6:26 PM

R170, I've read that Alexandria and Arlington are very walkable and interesting. And very diverse.

by Anonymousreply 172March 25, 2023 6:53 PM

[quote]I've read that Alexandria and Arlington are very walkable and interesting. [bold]And very diverse.[/bold]

Average household incomes are $143,000 and $166,000, respectively. (U.S. average is $70,000). Poverty rate of households in both cities is about 9%, compared to a national average of about 13%.

Not sure how many people are moving to Alexandria and Arlington for the diverse populations, unless it's for the diversity among people who.make the same money as they do.

by Anonymousreply 173March 27, 2023 11:37 PM

R173, diverse in terms of ethnic groups. Not income.

by Anonymousreply 174March 27, 2023 11:59 PM

Quality of life: NOISE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 28, 2023 10:43 PM

mass transit issues

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176March 29, 2023 7:49 PM

too many strangers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177March 29, 2023 7:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!