Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Lucky Hank" on AMC

Bob Odenkirk's new post-"Better Call Saul" series. First episode aired this past Sunday (March 19).

I thought for sure there'd be a thread already, but searched every possible permutation and didn't find one. So, here we are.

Did anyone else watch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2023 1:28 PM

I watched, It wasn't great but I cut AMC some slack. Their shows always take some time to gel.

Unexpectedly my favorite part was the wheelchair dwarf faculty lady.

by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2023 12:00 PM

Agreed re: the first episode. I found it kind of flat -- the "home life" stuff was really dull, but the on-campus material was better. Anything with the English Dept. faculty was, to me, the most entertaining.

Happy to see Nancy Robertson and Suzanne Cryer among the ensemble, too. I like them both.

by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2023 12:17 PM

I reread the Richard Russo source novel, Straight Man, leading up to the Lucky Hank premiere. I could remember very little of it, except for the main character threatening a goose. I also remembered the "Orshee" character, a male colleague of Hank's who today might be described as an SJW. (For example, he expresses that no more white males should receive tenure, but then he realizes that that excludes him, so then he hopes he didn't leave the impression that he would be UNGRATEFUL if he received tenure, etc.) I'm surprised that character didn't carry over to the series. I couldn't see any analog for him in the faculty gathering with the vote.

Anyway, I didn't love the book. It's distinctively Russo and has amusing episodes, but it's no Empire Falls or Nobody's Fool.

The first episode of the series was okay. Not a great pilot, but I'm interested to see where they go with it. The track record with Odenkirk on AMC shows is buying the series some goodwill for now. No one from the surrounding cast really stood up for me, but then, it took me a few episodes to see what a gem Rhea Seehorn was on BCS.

by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2023 11:40 AM

Bob O is hot af. What a waste he’s straight.

by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2023 12:07 PM

I taught in a wacky, troubled univresity for a year and wanted to turn the department into a workplace sitcom treatment. This show proved that I should have tried that. It's probably not everyone's taste or life experience, but I really enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2023 12:44 PM

I’m going to watch this because I LOVE Empire Falls, both the book and the series.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2023 6:20 AM

I preferred the Sandra Oh series The Chair, but unfortunately Netflix canceled it after one season!

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2023 6:25 AM

Second episode DOA. Total snooze.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2023 5:53 AM

The dearth of responses to this thread makes me think you're not alone in your assessment R8.

by Anonymousreply 9March 31, 2023 12:08 PM

I rather liked Hank's tirade about "mediocrity" and how the school is the capital. Student was clever enough to point out that Hank was also there.

by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2023 12:25 PM

Bob had his heart attack sometime shooting the last season of BCS. If this one is up and running, he must’ve jumped right in after wrapping up Saul with little to no downtime, no?

by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2023 12:30 PM

r9 It's DOA on Reddit as well. People immediately got suspicious because the network was just plugging Odenkirk and not the show itself during the marketing push.

by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2023 1:21 PM

I am enjoying it. It’s low key and genial and not overly manic like I expected - I thought it would be more of a Mrs Fletcher deal.

by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2023 3:02 PM

Episode four an improvement

by Anonymousreply 14April 11, 2023 12:26 AM

[quote] "Bob Odenkirk"

Aren't viewers satiated w/Odenkirk content out after two back-to-back series?

by Anonymousreply 15April 11, 2023 12:37 AM

According to my allegedly smart TV, only episode one has aired. But I liked it and found it far funnier and truer to English departments than the Sandra Oh show was.

by Anonymousreply 16April 11, 2023 12:48 AM

Kyle MacLachlan as Dickie Pope in episode 4 was good casting. He's always had such a great speaking voice.

I don't see a favorable prognosis for the series, though. It's a perfectly pleasant show, but it's so low-key and low-stakes that it doesn't leave you with much.. When a week has gone by since the last episode, I'm not exactly eager to find out what happens next. If I feel that way, I have to imagine it lost a lot of other people after the pilot.

It's a much more diverse show than you'd expect from reading the novel. Billy Quigley (Meg's alcoholic parent) got a gender change to Billie Quigley. And they're shading a lot down in the content, which doesn't surprise me. In the book, Hank picks the goose up by the neck and threatens to kill one a day until he gets his budget. Here, he just threatens to "box" a goose, without actually touching one.

by Anonymousreply 17April 11, 2023 2:56 AM

From the comments here, sounds like it's not 'edgy.'

by Anonymousreply 18April 11, 2023 3:06 AM

It’s not dark yet, but it’s getting there.

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2023 8:55 AM

I initially read the thread title as "Lucy Hank" and thought that maybe it was a nonbinary remake of "Lucy Mame."

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2023 8:59 AM

Well, r15, TV viewers seemed always up for a series starring Robert Conrad, Michael Landon, Tom Selleck, Betty White, MTM, etc.

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2023 1:52 AM

[quote] "Well, [R15], TV viewers seemed always up for a series starring Robert Conrad, Michael Landon, Tom Selleck, Betty White, MTM, etc."

Touché, R21.

by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2023 1:55 AM

[quote]TV viewers seemed always up for a series starring Robert Conrad, Michael Landon, Tom Selleck, Betty White, MTM, etc."

Both Betty White and MTM had series that were huge flops.

by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2023 1:57 AM

I couldn't get through the first episode but - as others have posted - sometimes it takes awhile for AMC shows. If it lasts an entire season, I'll binge it.

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2023 2:01 AM

Latest episode with the dinner party was a total write off

by Anonymousreply 25April 18, 2023 2:10 AM

I’m liking this show a lot more, I really loved the dinner ep. Mireille is great in this.

by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2023 6:03 AM

R23, Nitpick. MTM ruled for 16 years. Betty White is literally in the Guinness Book of Records for "longest TV career for a female entertainer (74 years)."

Try seeing the forest next time.

by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2023 10:38 AM

Episode 7 a total write-off. Another hour of tedious moping.

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2023 1:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!