Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pamela Sue Martin — DL, What Are Your Thoughts About This Interview?

This clip, about ten years old, showed up recently among my suggested clips on YouTube. I didn’t really have strong feelings about Pamela Sue Martin one way or the other beforehand (I remember liking her sauciness in the episodes of “Dynasty” I’d seen, and thought she had a strong debut in “To Find a Man”), but after watching the interview and Q&A, I ended up not liking her as much as I wanted to.

It seemed like most of the questions she was asked, whether by the host (who’s a screenwriter himself) or the audience, prompted an answer of “I don’t remember”. Now, I know the movies at the screening had been shot about 40 years earlier, but if you were going to a screening where you were going to have to discuss them, wouldn’t you reflect on them beforehand so that you might have something to say?

About the only thing she mentioned of note was her belief that her “Our Time” costar, Betsy Slade (who, as it happens, is the sister of Mink Stole!) didn’t like her! But even this tidbit was not explored further. I got the feeling that the interviewer threw up his hands and turned the questioning over to the audience — and then her first answer to one of THEIR questions was “I don’t remember!”

Disappointing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2023 12:10 PM

I knew that Betsy Slade was director Brian DePalma’s original choice for “Carrie” until Sissy Spacek came along, but I didn’t know she was Mink Stole’s sister! I do see the resemblance, though.

by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2023 12:58 PM

She was still a good Nancy Drew, and so much better on “Dynasty” than Emma Samms (granted, that bar is not high!)

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2023 11:57 AM

they just shouldn’t do these things

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2023 12:00 PM

She seems a bit nutty, having quit both Nancy Drew and Dynasty - the later at its height of popularity. She also looked as though she might be anorexic towards the end of her Dynasty run (which might have had something to do with her leaving and if so, good for her for prioritizing health).

I've gotten the impression from other interviews with her that she basically fell into acting after modeling as a teenager to make extra money. It was never really something she cared about. She wound up in Montana on a horse ranch for awhile, and seemed blissfully happy that way, at least for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2023 12:02 PM

Why on earth should wecare about Pamela Sue Martin? The name alone makes her sound like a white trash object of ridicule.

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2023 12:05 PM

I agree, R3, sometimes these Q&As at screenings can be a dicey proposition. But I’ve seen other ones on YouTube with film noir actors from the 40s and 50s that are quite fun and informative — and not only are those actors a lot older than Martin, but their films were shot LONG before hers! And they didn’t answer “I don’t remember” to nearly every question.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2023 12:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!