Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Matt Dillon refused to film gay sex scene for “Wild Things” (1998), so it was scrapped

"Wild Things" nearly featured a sex scene between Kevin Bacon and Matt Dillon, but the moment was scrapped when one of them refused to film it, the director said.

Speaking to Ethan Alters for Yahoo News on the 25th anniversary of the 1998 cult classic, director John McNaughton recalled one of the more surprising moments in the original script that never got shot.

"Wild Things," which also starred Neve Campbell and Denise Richards, follows a police detective uncovering a conspiracy in a case involving a high-school guidance counselor accused of rape by two female students.

The film features several twists and turns. However, one of the most shocking moments scriptwriter Stephen Peters originally included was a sex scene between Dillon's and Bacon's characters after it is revealed the pair are conspiring together against the two young women.

"In the original version of the scene, Matt walks into his bathroom to take a shower and there's Kevin," McNaughton said. "They were supposed to look each other up and down and then wham — go at it."

But it never happened, because one of the two refused to film the scene as it was originally portrayed in the script. According to Alters, McNaughton refused to say who. Representatives for Dillon and Bacon did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

"I love surprise, and I love stuff that I don't see coming," he said. "But in that moment it was like 'You win some, you lose some; we're moving on.'"

Dillon told Total Film in 2005 that he was "relieved" when the scene was cut, while Bacon told the publication that the twist would've been "great," ultimately blaming the film's financiers for taking it out as he believed they "didn't like the idea of men making out."

McNaughton made several other revelations elsewhere in the Yahoo interview, including that Marvel star Robert Downey Jr. was initially slated to play Dillon's character.

According to the director, they ended up going with Dillon over Downey Jr. partly because his substance-abuse issues at the time made him a liability for the studio production and partly because they were unable to finalize a deal with his representatives.

Looking back, McNaughton said he believes the right actor got the role.

"As my dear mother used to say, 'Everything happens for a reason,'" he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 21, 2023 2:19 PM

[quote] "In the original version of the scene, Matt walks into his bathroom to take a shower and there's Kevin," McNaughton said. "They were supposed to look each other up and down and then wham — go at it."

I knew it!!!

I always thought that scene was missing something, and that's exactly what it was missing.

From a gay perspective, to me, that should have been the outcome of the shower scene.

Kevin Bacon nude in Matt Dillon's shower. I mean, what straight guy does that?

It seemed inevitable that they should have sex.

The people who made that movie are just homophobic cowards.

Naturally, it was okay for Neve and Denise to make out and have sex, but not for Kevin and Matt. Fucking assholes.

Btw Matt, we all know you're secretly gay and in the closet.

So go fuck yourself!!!

by Anonymousreply 1March 19, 2023 9:01 PM

In all honesty the two chracters being gay would not make sense. The both seemed like pussyhound horndogs. I dunno it just seems like it would be shock value. i guess if it was done witht he bottom dropping to his knees in desperate need of cock.

by Anonymousreply 2March 19, 2023 9:03 PM

R1 that makes no sense. Kevin was in his shower because he was… showering. He wasn’t standing around naked waiting for him.

by Anonymousreply 3March 19, 2023 9:04 PM

But they were all super stoked to have the young girls do a lesbian scene…hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 4March 19, 2023 9:05 PM

R4 of course. The audience of this was … men. You think they would go see a movie with that scene? Especially in 1998? I have a bridge to sell you.

by Anonymousreply 5March 19, 2023 9:06 PM

Matt protests too much.

by Anonymousreply 6March 19, 2023 9:07 PM

Any movie in the 90s and 00s that had Denise Richards was a movie aimed toward men. She wasn’t getting cast for her acting skills… she was a bombshell.

The only movie I can think of that wasn’t aimed toward men was Drop Dead Gorgeous. And it bombed.

by Anonymousreply 7March 19, 2023 9:07 PM

[quote] In all honesty the two chracters being gay would not make sense. The both seemed like pussyhound horndogs.

Wrong.

They were horny, yes.

But they were hedonists.

Four people who were hungry for both money and sex.

THAT is why the scene would have made sense.

And to be honest, the drama with the two girls would have pushed the two guys closer together. Fuck them, let's take the money and run off together.

They ALL craved sex. They all craved money. And they didn't care who it was with.

If you pay attention to the movie, you'll get this.

by Anonymousreply 8March 19, 2023 9:15 PM

r8 ok I kinda see your point of view. So they were bisexual sex addicts. Btw It most likely was Matt Dillon refused, though the article doesnt state who. OP is speculating.

by Anonymousreply 9March 19, 2023 9:20 PM

But off screen Matt had a different attitude!!!

by Anonymousreply 10March 19, 2023 9:28 PM

And then it's weird that Matt Dillon would go and play an actor who "outs" his teacher in the movie In & Out, with Kevin Kline and Tom Selleck.

Which is weird, with all of them in real life claiming to be straight, but two of them being closet cases.

Hollywood is a fucked up place.

You don't know where reality ends and fantasy begins, because it's all jumbled up.

Matt Dillon in particular, straddles that line.

by Anonymousreply 11March 19, 2023 9:31 PM

Dear God. R11 one has nothing to do with the other.

by Anonymousreply 12March 19, 2023 9:34 PM

[quote] Dear God. R11 one has nothing to do with the other.

What are you talking about, R12?

Matt Dillon cancels the gay scene in one movie, because he doesn't want to play gay.

Then he acts in another movie, playing an actor who out his closeted high school teacher.

All under the backdrop of Matt Dillon himself, being a closeted actor.

If you don't see the irony in that, then you severely lack critical thinking skills.

by Anonymousreply 13March 19, 2023 9:41 PM

R13 playing someone who outs someone isn’t a gay sex scene

by Anonymousreply 14March 19, 2023 9:43 PM

I was surprised to see the full cock in that scene when I saw it as a teen, but wished it had been Matt in the shower

by Anonymousreply 15March 19, 2023 9:52 PM

Mmmm. Zero degrees of separation between Bacon and Dillon is about to cause a delicious grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 16March 19, 2023 9:59 PM

My initial reaction to reading things like this is usually irritation and an eye roll. But, then I pause, step back, and think how I would respond if I was asked to do a racy, graphic, straight sex scene. And then I understand. Because the answer would be a resounding 'NO.' If my career is on the line, fuck it. I'll become a wildlife conservationist or something.

by Anonymousreply 17March 19, 2023 10:04 PM

is Matt gay or bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 18March 19, 2023 10:07 PM

Well, Kevin Bacon was apparently OK to do the scene.

by Anonymousreply 19March 19, 2023 10:16 PM

[quote] Well, Kevin Bacon was apparently OK to do the scene.

That's because Kevin is straight, and not insecure about his sexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 19, 2023 10:18 PM

Matt was afraid he’d get a woody.

by Anonymousreply 21March 19, 2023 10:19 PM

I was just about to type that, R21!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 19, 2023 10:20 PM

Robert Downey Jr. was replaced because they wouldn't get him bonded from the film.

I read a version of the screenplay some years ago and in it, and while it didn't have the gay sex scene, there was an additional twist where it was revealed that the Neve Campbell character was the bastard daughter of Richards' character's grandfather.

by Anonymousreply 23March 19, 2023 10:25 PM

Wait, Matt Dillion's gay???!!!

by Anonymousreply 24March 19, 2023 10:26 PM

Like Armie in Call Me by Your Name, Matt was intimidated by the size of his screen partner’s cock.

by Anonymousreply 25March 19, 2023 10:28 PM

R24 no. Yet again bitter jaded DLers make shit up

by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2023 10:47 PM

i thought that was where it was going when i watched it.

by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2023 10:56 PM

r27 It definitely would've made his "I just wanna cruise" line more hilarious at the end with him and Neve Campbell's character on the boat.

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2023 11:21 PM

This one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2023 11:22 PM

Well, screw him!

by Anonymousreply 30March 19, 2023 11:23 PM

Matt Dillon was so hot. He's still attractive.

by Anonymousreply 31March 19, 2023 11:25 PM

It was a running joke in the 80s that Matt had fucked many of the women hanging out in the E village. I never heard about men but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 32March 19, 2023 11:42 PM

He’s straight. DL loves labeling everyone gay

by Anonymousreply 33March 19, 2023 11:44 PM

Wild Things, a delicious sleazefest with Bacon's dong and Neve Campbell catfishing all of them

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2023 11:48 PM

That would have been hot

by Anonymousreply 35March 19, 2023 11:57 PM

How can anyone interpret this scene as anything BUT homoerotic?

Matt's character stood there watching Kevin in the shower - naked - the whole time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 20, 2023 12:10 AM

But not in a sexual way. At all.

by Anonymousreply 37March 20, 2023 12:12 AM

I’ve been hearing that Matt’s a homo for decades.

by Anonymousreply 38March 20, 2023 12:13 AM

R38 I’m sure….

by Anonymousreply 39March 20, 2023 12:14 AM

In all my years of reading gossip, I had never heard of Dillon being gay, so I was surprised.

Anyways, according to Bacon, the people funding the film didn't want to gay stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 20, 2023 1:24 PM

Dillon still looks great.

by Anonymousreply 41March 20, 2023 2:29 PM

R40 of course not. This is what I’m saying. That would have made the movie truly BOMB and possibly ended the careers of the male actors involved

by Anonymousreply 42March 20, 2023 6:21 PM

They tried to make me a fag but I'm too wicked smaht for that!

by Anonymousreply 43March 20, 2023 6:59 PM

Matt had sex with a buxom friend of a friend of mine in his younger heyday after meeting her in a NYC bar. I regret to say I have zero other details.

by Anonymousreply 44March 20, 2023 7:27 PM

Overcompensation is my middle name.

by Anonymousreply 45March 20, 2023 7:58 PM

Matt dates only in Thailand

by Anonymousreply 46March 20, 2023 7:59 PM

Every time Matt Dillon gets mentioned I think of the DL poster who approached him in a diner. Before he could get to the table Matt picked up a fry and waved it saying "Unh unh,unh unh".

by Anonymousreply 47March 20, 2023 8:09 PM

Hey, I ain't no fag, and I would've done the scene, but they wanted me to WAX my ASSHOLE.

I told them I wasn't getting my asshole waxed for no Kevin motherfuckin' Bacon.

If I'm gonna wax my shitter, it's gonna be for somebody good. A real man. Like Ken Wahl. Or Patrick Swayze maybe.

Not no goddamn pig-face Kevin Bacon!

by Anonymousreply 48March 20, 2023 8:25 PM

If I'm gonna wax my shitter, it's gonna be for somebody good. A real man. Like Kristy McNicol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 20, 2023 8:36 PM

R44 Yeah we know because whenever DL dusts off this 60 yo closet case who has neveh eveh been linked romantically with a vagina you faithfully trot out your antediluvian "buxom" friend story. Tell us the one about blowing Wayne Newton while your at it.

by Anonymousreply 50March 20, 2023 8:42 PM

R50 isn’t he married. And I remember clearly him dating Cameron D. In the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 51March 20, 2023 9:02 PM

R50 You do raise a fine point as to whether Wayne was danke schoening someone for backstage favors. He’s certainly gushing.

by Anonymousreply 52March 20, 2023 9:27 PM

Matt Dillon is gay, bitches.

Deal with it.

And he's a coward for not standing with Kevin Bacon on putting in the gay scene.

by Anonymousreply 53March 21, 2023 12:00 AM

Yup. He’s gay because you said he is. That’s how it works.

by Anonymousreply 54March 21, 2023 12:10 AM

I don't know that Matt Dillon is gay, but thirty years ago, I had an actor friend who told me an actor friend of his had had sex with Matt. I know, third hand, yada yada. But why not? It's not like he's some flaming heterosexual who's had three wives and five children.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 21, 2023 12:22 AM

[quote]It was a running joke in the 80s that Matt had fucked many of the women hanging out in the E village. I never heard about men but who knows.

[quote]Matt had sex with a buxom friend of a friend of mine in his younger heyday after meeting her in a NYC bar.

[quote][R44] Yeah we know because whenever DL dusts off this 60 yo closet case who has neveh eveh been linked romantically with a vagina you faithfully trot out your antediluvian "buxom" friend story.

I'm not r32 or r44, r50, but Matt was known for trolling the East Village in the 80s/90s for big-titted bimbos (I guess he had a type). Downtown Beirut, Chameleon, The Pyramid and Aztec Bar were some of his favorite spots, I knew several women who fucked him. Of course, that doesn't make him straight, and he was young enough that he could probably get it up for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 56March 21, 2023 12:56 AM

The rumors I've heard about Dillon over the years (and they remain RUMORS) were not that he was gay and closeted.

They were that he was a hustler who fucked his way into acting jobs from the time he started working at 15. No specific sexual orientation assigned, but most of his patrons in Hollywood were male. Make of all that what you will.

I think he's had an astonishingly long career, given a slim talent and just-better-than-average looks. He has a sexy presence onscreen, but not a lot more.

by Anonymousreply 57March 21, 2023 1:32 AM

Haha R56. I thought R50 was joking, but this is the first I’ve shared this story, so maybe you or someone else said similar before. I only posted it because I just rewatched My Bodyguard with Dillon and remembered. I wasn’t replying to imply he’s hetero now. (The woman in question was a bridge & tunneler from Rockland.)

by Anonymousreply 58March 21, 2023 1:33 AM

Wild Things is a great neo-noir and highly underrated. It’s got a great screenplay, great direction and music and the performances are all uniformly excellent - yes, even Denise Richards.

I don’t think it matters that the guys weren’t gay, their relationship was a weird constant power play anyway and let’s face it, IF they were gay the film would just be accused of perpetuating the “gays as psychotic killers” stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 59March 21, 2023 1:48 AM

Perhaps he's a late bloomer. Better hetero late than never.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 21, 2023 1:50 AM

Someone on twitter said it best. If they were made gay in 1998 there would have been a lot of backlash, the media would trash the film and the filmmakers would be accused of trying to push an agenda. It would also pretty much kill careers.

People forget what the world was like just 15 years ago, yet alone 25.

by Anonymousreply 61March 21, 2023 2:04 AM

He's old school Catholic. 100% gay on the down-low. The silence of "companions" can be purchased for the right price.

by Anonymousreply 62March 21, 2023 2:13 AM

Maybe he didn’t like the anal.

by Anonymousreply 63March 21, 2023 2:17 AM

Yet he bottomed for Kristy McNichol.

by Anonymousreply 64March 21, 2023 2:22 AM

I adore Kevin Bacon, who has always been very sexy. And Dillon wouldn't be my personal pick, but I'd definitely watch that. Would it help the film? In its own way.

by Anonymousreply 65March 21, 2023 2:34 AM

I was willing to do the scene, until I found out Bacon wouldn't really be fucking me in the ass.

I ain't no fag, I'm just a method actor who needs everything to be as realistic as possible. You know, that Actor's Studio, Lee Strasborg shit. That's me.

Sure, I could pretend I've got his big, hard hog in my shithole, but it would look fake as hell. Why fake it, when he can just stick it in and fuck me till my nose bleeds?

It ain't gay, it's called ACTING.

by Anonymousreply 66March 21, 2023 3:44 AM

Another third hand story, so take it for what it's worth. A friend told me that he had a friend (male) who had a 3 way with Matt Dillion and a woman one night at a hotel in NYC. If it's true, maybe he's bi.

by Anonymousreply 67March 21, 2023 6:29 AM

r67 Where I come from, 2 males and a female isn't called a 3 way. That's a train.

by Anonymousreply 68March 21, 2023 6:45 AM

He was and is so gorgeous and so fucking hot, gay or straight or bi or whatever. Long before Charles told Camilla he wanted to be her tampon, Boy George famously said he wanted to be reincarnated in his next life as Matt Dillon's underwear. That comment always stayed with me as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 69March 21, 2023 11:18 AM

Did he read the script before he signed on?

by Anonymousreply 70March 21, 2023 12:16 PM

R11- Maybe ALL three of them are GAY.

Kevin Kline gave me a gay vibe too especially in Sophie’s Choice.

by Anonymousreply 71March 21, 2023 12:36 PM

R57- He was only 14 years old when he was cast in his first movie 🎥. He wasn’t some street kid. He was from a middle class Irish family. He didn’t FUCK his way into anything.

He’s gay- yes, but not a slut.

by Anonymousreply 72March 21, 2023 12:41 PM

R33- Matt Dillon’s mother

by Anonymousreply 73March 21, 2023 12:43 PM

I saw a guy I knew a little from high school, in a restaurant, years ago. He was drunk and started telling me about how he was friends with Dillon and what's-his-name, the Motorcycle Boy in Rumble Fish. Mickey Rourke. He talked to me because he knew I was an actor, locally. This guy was a wild partier in high school so I bought it when he told me a lot of stories about Dillon and Rourke and their drunken escapades. I think Matt straightened himself out later.

by Anonymousreply 74March 21, 2023 12:56 PM

Matt famously asked a black trannie for her phone number and it was all on Page Six and captured by photographers.

This was decades ago. Make of it what you will.

by Anonymousreply 75March 21, 2023 1:04 PM

I'm so gay that I am sucking cock as a type this, but no actor who wants a leading man career is going to film a gay sex scene in any movie. Especially not in 1998. And even if they want to film such a scene, their team and management will not let them.

by Anonymousreply 76March 21, 2023 1:10 PM

Forget Dillon and Bacon, give me the gorgeous latin stud screwing Theresa Russell's character and later seen diving into the pool in a tiny powder blue bikini! HE was HOT HOT.........

Long time telenova and latin tv actor Eduardo Yanez!

by Anonymousreply 77March 21, 2023 1:13 PM

R74 and then you don't tell us any "drunken escapades" that makes you a prick tease dear.

by Anonymousreply 78March 21, 2023 2:52 PM

Just a tease...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 21, 2023 3:29 PM

Kevin looks like he's semi-erect in those shower scene photos.

by Anonymousreply 80March 21, 2023 3:32 PM

R78 This was in the late 80s, give me a break. I'm supposed to remember that?

by Anonymousreply 81March 21, 2023 3:57 PM

[quote] [R4] of course. The audience of this was … men. You think they would go see a movie with that scene? Especially in 1998? I have a bridge to sell you.

Just the shower scene provoked groans and hissing in the theater. I remember being relieved that nothing more overtly "homo" happened.

by Anonymousreply 82March 21, 2023 4:08 PM

[quote] Matt Dillon is gay, bitches.

Nope. He has lived in NYC for decades and there aren't even credible rumors supporting this.

by Anonymousreply 83March 21, 2023 4:18 PM

Did he ever top B.Coop during his face down, ass up ANON days?

by Anonymousreply 84March 21, 2023 4:39 PM

R83 Post one candid picture of your pussy hound touching a woman in a heterosexual manner off set in the last 25 years.....waiting

by Anonymousreply 85March 21, 2023 5:15 PM

waiting..

by Anonymousreply 86March 21, 2023 5:16 PM

still waiting..

by Anonymousreply 87March 21, 2023 5:16 PM

the roast is almost done

by Anonymousreply 88March 21, 2023 5:16 PM

Her name is Roberta Mastromichele and your roast is burned cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 21, 2023 5:21 PM

R1 Matt Dillon is gay?? Like gay gay or Datalounge gay?

by Anonymousreply 90March 21, 2023 5:35 PM

Matt Dillon isn't gay!

Neither is Bradley Cooper, Tom Cruise, Taylor Lautner, or Lindsey Graham!

by Anonymousreply 91March 22, 2023 12:14 AM

Or Rock Hudson!

by Anonymousreply 92March 22, 2023 2:18 AM

Would have loved to see Kevin Bacon naked.

by Anonymousreply 93March 22, 2023 2:26 AM

Something doesn't make sense - how did he agree to do a film that had a gay scene, and then refuse to film it? When did he refuse? Wouldn't the fact that he had to do the scene have been discussed at length before he signed on, and/or before filming began?

by Anonymousreply 94March 22, 2023 2:38 AM

Sorry, have seen

by Anonymousreply 95March 22, 2023 2:38 AM

r94, that's what Will Smith did in Six Degrees of Separation. He signed onto the movie then refused to do a gay kissing scene

by Anonymousreply 96March 22, 2023 2:40 AM

Young Matt D had that thin Black Irish ivory white sex on a stick thing going on. I bet he has that Irish American charm too. Probably could have bedded anyone he wanted.

by Anonymousreply 97March 22, 2023 11:34 AM

In real life when he’s in the sack with another guy-

Does he refuse to SUCK COCK and take it up the ASS?

by Anonymousreply 98March 22, 2023 1:20 PM

Matt Dillon is no longer attractive, so should we still care about him?

by Anonymousreply 99March 22, 2023 1:24 PM

He was still pretty cute here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100March 22, 2023 1:45 PM

R100 that was at least a decade a go. Have any more recent "cute" pictures?

by Anonymousreply 101March 22, 2023 1:57 PM

R97 Not Kristy McNichol

by Anonymousreply 102March 22, 2023 2:19 PM

"Legendary film critic Roger Ebert opens his 1983 interview with Matt Dillon by remarking on the actor’s appearance. “Matt Dillon is impossibly handsome, a fact that has been noticed by several million teenage girls,” reads the piece’s first line. Ebert himself seems a bit starry-eyed during the interview: “Did you know, I said, that Dennis Hopper – who played James Dean’s buddy in Rebel — is here at this festival?” Ebert asks Dillon. “Well, yeah,” Dillon responds. “He plays my father in Rumble Fish. He’s quite a guy. He went through all that rebellion, you know.” “Well, yeah,” Ebert says, as if falling back to earth. “Ah, what can you tell me about the real S. E. Hinton?” he rebounds.

Dillon’s looks seem to have this flustering kind of effect on interviewers across the board, regardless of when the interview is conducted. Andy Warhol and Maura Moynihan write of Dillon in a 1983 Interview Magazine piece of Dillon’s “tangible appeal,” which despite the actor’s self-awareness and technical acumen, pierces unignorable: “On his taut physique clothing falls in loose disorder. Buttons seem to come undone and fabric slackens. He is blessed with dramatic Gaelic coloring: glossy black hair, luminous skin with flushed cheeks and enormous liquid eyes.”"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 22, 2023 2:33 PM

So couldn't they have used a double for the sex scene behind a shower curtain. I'm sure they could have gottent the point across, if they'd really wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 104March 22, 2023 2:34 PM

At least in the movie I recently saw him in, he didn't have "glossy black hair". (Tex.) He had brown hair. Medium brown. Check out the clip.

I remember reading a newspaper interview with him from around ttime, maybe a little later, where the interviewer described a surly kid who at one point grabbed the notebook out of the interviewer's hand, and flung it against the wall. That ended the interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 23, 2023 12:19 AM

(The clip is on the left - "Trailers". With Meg Tilley and Emilio Estevez.)

by Anonymousreply 106March 23, 2023 12:24 AM

I do recall thinking at the time that there was an undercurrent in that shower scene, indicating it was far from the first time one of the guys had been naked around the other. I suppose long-time friendship/partnership in crime could have explained it, but the scene was charged enough to make it seem there might have been a sexual past between them.

As for no actor in their right mind filming a gay scene in the Stone Age environment of the late 90s, Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve didn't seem to have any problem getting roles after Deathtrap in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 107March 23, 2023 12:32 AM

R107 I never saw Deathtrap but don't they just kiss in that? Vs what would have been a sex scene w/Bacon and Dillon.

by Anonymousreply 108March 23, 2023 12:35 AM

Can't speak to what Matt Dillon does these days, but a close friend of mine swears that Matt and her friend (male) had a relationship, or at least a lot of sex, in the 1980s, perhaps late 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 109March 23, 2023 2:02 AM

59 years old, never married, no kids. I think he did have a relationship with Cameron Diaz.

by Anonymousreply 110March 24, 2023 1:28 AM

R110... so any male or female who is 59 and never been married and no kids automatically means something (i.e. gay)?...

by Anonymousreply 111March 24, 2023 1:42 PM

I don’t understand why straight men aren’t allowed to not get married and have kids? If they don’t they must be gay! We all know marriage and kids sucks.

by Anonymousreply 112March 24, 2023 2:01 PM

The movie's primary demographic was straight men. Word of mouth would have killed the movie's performance if there had been a gay angle.

by Anonymousreply 113March 24, 2023 2:04 PM

R111 It makes being gay more likely. I don't know what the % is of straight single people who don't live with someone long-term is. It's not high.

by Anonymousreply 114March 24, 2023 6:16 PM

What would have been the purpose of a gay sex scene that comes of=out of nowhere in a movie like this anyway?

by Anonymousreply 115March 24, 2023 6:19 PM

[quote] so any male or female who is 59 and never been married and no kids automatically means something (i.e. gay)?...

Basically, yes.

by Anonymousreply 116March 24, 2023 6:22 PM

R114 It is a lot higher than the percentage of gay people.

by Anonymousreply 117March 24, 2023 7:29 PM

Wasn't there a lesbian scene that came out of nowhere in the movie? Probably same purpose as that.

by Anonymousreply 118March 24, 2023 8:27 PM

"This is Matt Dillon's first film since "Drugstore Cowboy," and demonstrates again that he is one of the best actors working in movies. He possesses the secret of not giving too much, of not trying so hard that we're distracted by his performance. Dillon was never trained as an actor, was a junior high school kid when he was cast in an unsung but powerful movie named "Over the Edge," and has turned out to have a natural affinity with the camera. There was a brief period when his career was endangered by quasi-Teen Idol status, but he just kept working, choosing interesting roles and good directors, and today he and the slightly older Sean Penn are the best actors in their age group."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 25, 2023 2:28 PM

God, what an overrated hack Roger Ebert was. And no judge of acting ability.

by Anonymousreply 120March 25, 2023 2:40 PM

Ebert always though Dillon was good, I remember he and Gene did a show about young stars and it was the first time I ever really thought about Matt Dillon as an actor rather than a teen idol who didn't even seem to be acting. Ebert was right, though. (I agree he was overrated.)

by Anonymousreply 121March 25, 2023 2:47 PM

*thought

by Anonymousreply 122March 25, 2023 2:47 PM

R119 Dillon is great in Drugstore Cowboy, one of the best performances of the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 123March 25, 2023 2:48 PM

Has Dillon ever played "against type"?

by Anonymousreply 124March 25, 2023 5:50 PM

[quote]Matt Dillon is gay, bitches.

Well, thank goodness. I thought it was me.

by Anonymousreply 125March 25, 2023 6:40 PM

probably was the right decision. once you do certain things in movies or on a show (and in real life as well, like admit you are dating someone and then break up), the press literally never stops asking you about it. And if you're an actor, you are obligated to do press.

This movie was filmed over 25 years ago and Kevin Bacon still is asked questions about showing his penis for 2 seconds on screen.

by Anonymousreply 126March 26, 2023 12:28 AM

R124 I haven't seen all his movies but he played a rural Texas teenager in S. E. Hinton's coming-of-age story, Tex. That streuck me as against type. Maybe in Something About Mary and To Die For, also. I sort of forgot.

by Anonymousreply 127March 26, 2023 12:38 AM

R119 First movie since Drugstore Cowboy? So I guess Bloodhounds of Broadway, A Kiss Before Dying, Singles, The Saint of Fort Washington, Mr. Wonderful, Golden Gate, To Die For, Frankie Starlight, Grace of My Heart, Albino Alligator, Beautiful Girls, In & Out, There's Something About Mary were never filmed.

by Anonymousreply 128March 26, 2023 12:50 AM

r128. r119 is linking to, and quoting from, Roger Ebert's review of "A Kiss before Dying," which was Matt's next movie after "Drugstore Cowboy."

by Anonymousreply 129March 26, 2023 12:56 AM

Too bad Ebert had to include overrated Sean Penn.

by Anonymousreply 130March 26, 2023 12:56 AM

It’s only gay when both the dicks touch.

by Anonymousreply 131March 26, 2023 1:01 AM

I always thought there was an implied gay relationship in that scene in Wild Things. Just their reactions. Dillon is alarmed at who is in his shower. He opens the door and Bacon is there. Bacon smiles, Dillon is relieved its him. If you watch it there is just the implication that they have been naked together before.

by Anonymousreply 132March 26, 2023 2:31 AM

Straight guys are supposed to be comfortable around each other naked. At least back then in the good old days when kids grew up showering together in gym and skinning dipping together without thinking much about it.

by Anonymousreply 133March 26, 2023 2:42 AM

Correction, R131. It’s only gay if they make eye contact.

by Anonymousreply 134March 26, 2023 2:59 AM

The gay storyline would have been hot.

by Anonymousreply 135March 26, 2023 8:26 AM

In the shower scene it does seem like if it went on a bit longer Dillon would have joined him in the shower.

by Anonymousreply 136March 26, 2023 8:29 AM

[quote] 59 years old, never married, no kids. I think he did have a relationship with Cameron Diaz.

He must have a GREAT cocaine dealer.

by Anonymousreply 137March 26, 2023 12:36 PM

Other than "...Mary" has he had any box office hits?

by Anonymousreply 138March 26, 2023 12:38 PM

I thought he was very good in Drugstore Cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 139March 26, 2023 12:48 PM

[quote] Other than "...Mary" has he had any box office hits?

Wasn't he in the original "The Outsiders" movie?

That essentially put him on the map, as well as Swayze and Tom Cruise.

Some major male actors of that generation came out of that one movie.

by Anonymousreply 140March 26, 2023 12:55 PM

I don't think I've seen "The Outsiders" all the way through. Was it a hit? I was 14 and "Flashdance" was more my thing at the time.

by Anonymousreply 141March 26, 2023 1:00 PM

[quote]The film features several twists and turns. However, one of the most shocking moments scriptwriter Stephen Peters originally included was a sex scene between Dillon's and Bacon's characters after it is revealed the pair are conspiring together against the two young women.

It may have been sheer homophobia and not wanting to play gay that made Dillon refuse to do the scene, if this story is true. But considering the intended purpose of the scene, it would have been homophobic of the filmmakers to include it, portraying the gay characters as villains "conspiring together against the two young women" -- as if two gay guys would do that. It would have been yet another case of a movie using homosexuality as a disgusting, creepy scare tactic, see also SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and CRUISING (and those are only two of many examples).

by Anonymousreply 142March 26, 2023 1:03 PM

Maybe Matt was afraid he'd get a boner.

by Anonymousreply 143March 26, 2023 1:10 PM

"wild things" still confuses me! Was everyone bad in that movie and evil schemers? Did any character have any redeeming quality?

by Anonymousreply 144March 26, 2023 1:30 PM

[quote] "wild things" still confuses me! Was everyone bad in that movie and evil schemers? Did any character have any redeeming quality?

I think the Latina cop was supposed to be a "good guy," but there was something weird that happened with her at the end of the movie.

Something about the alligator farm.

I also think she discovered the truth about everyone, but only after they had already left town.

by Anonymousreply 145March 26, 2023 1:34 PM

It's always the closeted queens bringing the drama. Always.

by Anonymousreply 146March 26, 2023 1:47 PM

R144 It’s film noir so yes, pretty much EVERYONE is morally dubious and only out for themselves! That’s most of the fun! The Latina cop almost figures it out but too late to prove anything and she still only has some of the details. The “good” person left to struggle in the quagmire left by all the other despicable characters! Such fun! 😁

by Anonymousreply 147March 26, 2023 2:16 PM

Correction: Tex takes place in Oklahoma (like most S. E. Hinton YA books). -- R127

My Bodyguard cost 3 million and made 23 million. The Outsiders 10 million and made 33.7 million. The Flamingo Kid and Tex were also successful. To Die For cost 20 million and made over 40 million. Beautiful Girls and In & Out were hits. Wild Things was a hit (cost, 20 million, took in around 70 million). Crash cost 6.9 million and made 99 million.

So yeah, he was in some hits.

by Anonymousreply 148March 26, 2023 4:06 PM

He was also in Singles, wasn't he? That earned more than double its budget and was basically the archetypal movie about Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 149March 27, 2023 4:58 AM

I suspect RDJ would not have had an issue with the gay sex scene. At least if Less Than Zero is anything to go by.

by Anonymousreply 150April 6, 2023 12:55 PM

[quote]He’s straight. DL loves labeling everyone gay

[quote] [ troll 6029 ]

Aw, someone spent hours on this thread complaining that poor straight actors were being unfairly labeled as gay, and he got a redtag for his trouble. Sad!

by Anonymousreply 151April 6, 2023 1:00 PM

I would film a hard core sex scene with Matt Dillon circa 1984!

by Anonymousreply 152April 6, 2023 1:08 PM

He popped a boner during rehearsal that threatened his hetero masculinity!

by Anonymousreply 153April 6, 2023 1:14 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 154October 21, 2023 1:59 PM

I'm sure he's been involved in a lot GAY scenes in real life over the years.

by Anonymousreply 155October 21, 2023 2:00 PM

R100- He seems to have the GAY STARE in his eyes in that video still.

by Anonymousreply 156October 21, 2023 2:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!