Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Macklemore Describes Addiction as 'Like an Allergy'

Macklemore is getting candid about his journey to sobriety after struggling with addiction for years.

Following the March release of his latest album, Ben, the Grammy-winning artist joined the latest episode of health podcast On Purpose with Jay Shetty, where he revealed how his addiction started and how he's grown on his path to recovery.

"The easiest way for me to describe it is that it was like an allergy," Macklemore, 39, told host Jay Shetty. "It was once I had a sip or a hit or a sniff or whatever it was, I wanted more and I couldn't turn that off. And I never could."

The Can't Hold Us singer revealed how his addiction began when he was 14 years old and had his first shot of alcohol, which turned into 12 shots within 30 minutes.

He admitted he didn't figure out what the root of the addiction was until recently when he found "a community of men in recovery," especially those who had experienced "sexual trauma."

Macklemore added that the only way he was able to start his recovery journey at his lowest point was realizing it was a matter of life or death — and he had to make that choice.

"I had been lucky enough that I had already been to rehab," he said. "I had already understood that this is the disease of addiction. This is an incurable disease."

He continued, "This is something that I don't graduate from. This is something that I don't go into remission — like this will be with me forever. And as a daily reprieve and a daily practice, what am I doing for my recovery?"

He soon realized the times he felt most fulfilled were when he was performing acts of service and having a "sense of community," so he wouldn't feel alone.

Macklemore also credited his wife, Tricia Davis, for being supportive of him during his sobriety and battle with addiction. The pair, who tied the knot in summer 2015, are parents to daughters Colette Koala, 4 and Sloane Ava Simone, 7 and son Hugo Jack, 17 months.

After relapsing at the onset of the pandemic, Macklemore is celebrating over two years of sobriety, but his journey is ongoing.

"There's so much work to be done. I've been in and out of the rooms of recovery for 14 years now, and I relapsed at the beginning of Covid," he admitted. "So I have a couple years, but I still feel like a newcomer. I still feel like this is brand new and I'm just on the precipice of figuring out something that's gonna open a new door."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 19, 2023 2:30 AM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 10:34 PM

It makes me emotional to talk about it, but....... someone grabbed my taint!

Thank god I won an Oscar, though.

I feel so much better now.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 10:35 PM

I love his gay rights song where he goes to great lengths to establish that he's heterosexual. What a cool person.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 10:52 PM

He kind of looks like Vin Diesel sometimes (his weird caveman face). That's my only thought about Macklemore.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 10:55 PM

It was a different time, r3.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 11:00 PM

I didn't know we were still in the year 2013.

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 11:04 PM

Bad hair.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 11:05 PM

How many substances is he addicted to?

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 11:09 PM

I hate that Macklemore song but straight women can get away with exploiting gay rights, why can’t a straight man? Lol

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 11:14 PM

WHET that little otter he used to make music with?

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 11:16 PM

How tragic to have your throne usurped by Chet Hanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 11:18 PM

Was he ever addicted to cock?

by Anonymousreply 12March 19, 2023 2:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!