Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joan Rivers deserves a posthumous award.

I've been watching Seinfeld reruns after a surgery. Too much Seinfeld.

Seinfeld the sitcom is very funny.

Seinfeld the standup comic is AGGRESSIVELY unfunny.

The show made the really poor decision to sprinkle standup bits between scenes during the first few seasons, and MY GOD, Jerry Seinfeld was offensively unfunny.

It makes my heart ache for Joan Rivers.

She was so insanely funny, like a human funny machine. And yet she is always referred to as "one of the funniest female comedians." What the fuck? Being female has nothing to do with it.

I saw a PBS special about the history of standup, and in it, all these women and men agreed that women are regarded by male standups and standup fans as far less funny than male comics.

Where in the hell is the proof of that?

Joan Rivers was the greatest standup comic I've ever seen perform. Jerry Seinfeld, regarded as one of the most successful standups of all time, is probably the *least* funny person I have ever witnessed doing standup, unless we're counting Madonna's self-humiliating attempts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 5:40 PM

And for a non-comedian lifestyle businesswoman, Martha has amazing delivery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 4:44 PM

Your panties are in a wad, OP. I don't even disagree, but why the hell would you like to a Seinfeld clip instead of to a Joan one?

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 4:44 PM

OP, go back to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 4:45 PM

I love Joan, but she would've been canceled big time by mainstream media by now. She was probably big friends with Donald - they have that same caustic New Yorker attitude. But at least she genuinely was funny and real about it, unlike DJT.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 4:46 PM

I truly miss Joan Rivers take on things sometimes. She was very good in her prime. Quick witted as well, she was fast on her feet for ages!

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 4:46 PM

Jerry Seinfeld stand up was fine. Jerry Seinfeld can be funny and Joan Rivers can be very funny. The two can exist at the same time. OP has zero rhetorical skills and a dismal scold.

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 4:47 PM

The original conceit was that Seinfeld, the show, showed how comedians got their material—hence the standup during the show.

And Larry David was always the brain. The show nosedived after season 7 and the series finale, which David wrote, was better than any episode in season 8 and 9.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 4:47 PM

"It makes my heart ache for Joan Rivers."

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 4:47 PM

He’s so unlikable.

Was Seinfeld the first mainstream show where all the protagonists were horrible people?

I am not very familiar with Joan River’s work, but it seemed like it was mostly making fun of people. That’s low-hanging fruit. And some of it only worked BECAUSE she was female. I don’t think male comics making fat jokes about women worked as well. But, like I said, I’m not that familiar with her. Maybe you are right.

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 4:47 PM

R9 No, Joan was known for making fun of celebs because of the red carpets and shows like Fashion Police where that was her job, but her standup shows were wildly all over the place. She did make fun of celebrities, but also of herself, of "old people," disabilities, her dead Yorkie, ugly people, the audience, of her husband's suicide, and also just said and did absurd things without much context. When she did make fun of people, it was just obviously absurd and not really insult humor directed at anyone in particular. She tapped into every opportunity to get laughs, including making ridiculous faces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 4:54 PM

Joan's primary target was Joan herself, which made her biting (and accurate) observations of others less caustic. She was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 4:56 PM

Love this clip.

Betty White and Joan shading the shit out of each other. Betty could sure hold her own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 5:03 PM

I love and miss Joan. I don't think she would have been cancelled b/c she would have been well into her 80's by 2020. To be cancelled you have to give a fuck. I just watched A Piece of Work recently. Joan put her staff's kids through private school and was donating endless money to charities, etc. It is true that I think she would be a fan of Trump. Her winning Celebrity Apprentice was what jump started her career and lead to Fashion Police, etc. Joan was the epitome of a true survivor who kept getting up after she was kicked down. And she was really funny. I think she would be secretly happy deep down to know that Kathy Griffin, who was poised at the time of her death to be her successor, imploded and her career is basically over.

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 5:26 PM

She could be savage.

After Robin Quivers roasted her, she said "When you do the Howard Stern Show, every time there's a break, you go, 'Oh, my father molested me! My father molested me!' Take a good look at yourself, DARLING! Let me tell you something! You should be grateful that man paid you any attention at all! I saw you naked backstage, BITCH, you look like a fuckin mudslide."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 5:27 PM

Wow! I never knew how quick witted Betty White is. Her back and forth was Joan was really impressive. I only know her as Rose Nylund, but she is so fun. Very impressive. That was funny R12.

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 5:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!