Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has anyone ever broken into your home or tried to?

When I was a teenager, my mom noticed weird scratches on the inside of our backdoor and accused us kids of doing it. A few days later, our family went somewhere and when we returned there was a flat piece of metal scrap sticking out of the backdoor, like someone tried to pry it open.

by Anonymousreply 37March 19, 2023 6:35 PM

Yes. Last summer. My car was at the shop so it appeared as if nobody was at the house. I was taking a nap in the afternoon with earplugs in. A man used a very long screwdriver to jimmy open a window. He entered, rifled through my gym bag and was peeking into my bedroom. The bedroom door was about open about 6 inches but I could tell someone was standing there.

I yelled and charged at him. It was just instinct. And I'm still not sure what I would have done if I had had a gun in the bedroom. Anyway, I think he was as scared as me. He ran out the front door.

I still have his long-ass screwdriver.

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 3:39 PM

I once woke up having been out all night clubbing in London and there were two black teenage boys in my bedroom burgling my flat. I leapt out of bed and chased them out the door luckily a neighbour saw them climbing over a wall and had already contacted the police who arrived shortly afterwards

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 3:41 PM

I lived thru the crack epidemic of the 90's. A cute trick was to pull the fire alarm in the highrise apartment building I lived in at the time. The dutiful would walk down the 14 flights and wait for the fire department to come, inspect the building, and sound the all clear. Meanwhile the thieves would bust down the doors and ransack at will the empty apartments. Being a quick study i learned to NOT leave the building unless i saw smoke.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 3:45 PM

It was a late Saturday afternoon after a fantastic soccer match where I scored the winning goal. I had dosed off on the thrift store sofa in my off-campus apartment, buck naked except for my dirty jock strap. I awoke to a powerfully muscled, dark-skinned mature Portuguese townie looming over me. I recognised him immediately. He was a landscaper on campus and we had exchanged a few looks over my freshman and software years. I was deeply closeted and never had the nerve to do more than look, but now here he was, in my APARTMENT, with his fly open and his pendulous uncut penis rapidly stiffening under my fearful but lusty gaze...

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 3:50 PM

damn! sophomore

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 3:52 PM

No, but I have some sketchy neighbors. I have an alarm system and always keep all my doors locked.

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 4:00 PM

r4 I had something similar, save it was just some random dude that knew I was a fruit and wanted an easy lay. I had no idea who he was. Plus he wasn't cute. So, just turned on the sprinklers and flood lights, and he fled.

At a vacation destination, I had a drunk young woman convinced my bungalow was hers and kept trying to enter it from various places until eventually I had to call management. That kind of stuff would happen a lot when I was working the festival scene.

My childhood home would have a few times a year a fugitive running through the backyard, occasionally trying to break in ... t wasn't a particularly bad neighborhood but it just happened to be near every major access and dense with foliage, so it was popular with escapees trying to outrun helicopters.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 4:02 PM

Kind of. After I broke up with my ex, he lived across town. My job at the time would go through periods requiring lots of travel. My ex owed me money , so he offered to take care of my pets, which were ours when we were together so they knew him. I gave him a key since he frequently watched the pets. When I was home and went into the office for the day, I found out from a co-worker who lived near me and went home for lunch most days that my ex was coming over during the day. She had asked me once who owned the silver sedan that was parked in my driveway frequently when I was in the office. I knew it was him when she asked that.

I verified with my neighbor across the street that she frequently saw him there on weekdays. He was often unemployed (one of the many reasons I had broken up with him), so he had time during the day to come over. The neighbor also said she saw him letting other guys in the house when he was over during the day. I confronted him, and of course he lied (yet another reason I dumped him). I told him since he was a liar, I believed what my co-worker and neighbor told me. I asked for my key back. The look of frustration on his face when he gave back the key told me he had been using my place as a trick pad. I wound up hiring a pet sitter to replace him.

He later admitted he used my place because he was such a messy slob, he was embarrassed by the state of his house, which really was filthy (another reason we broke up). As if it was somehow better, he said he used my guest bedroom, not my bed. I asked if he at least washed the sheets after fucking his tricks on my guest bed. He looked down and said no. Thank God I always washed them when I had guests stay over. After that and a couple other things, I finally just cut off contact with him.

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 5:33 PM

You're very stupid, R8. Learn how to break up with people.

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 5:38 PM

In Cincinnati as a student, I was living across from campus in an old building. I heard something at the door and then went to look out the window. There were two black men trying to pry open the window and for a minute I was just staring at them without them even noticing me. Then one of them did and they both waved to me and took off down the street. I watched them walk way down the long street and the police finally got there after like 30 minutes or more, long after they were gone.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 5:44 PM

Fuck off, cunt at R9. We shared pets. When I broke up with him, he took the dog, I took the cats, but we each still wanted to see the pets not living with us once in a while. I took care of the dog whenever he was out of town.

You're the one who is stupid thinking you're entitled to make a judgment without knowing all the circumstances. There are myriad ways people can break up. I know many people who stay friends with their exes. Because of what he did AFTER we broke up, I decided I couldn't even be friends with him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 6:08 PM

Twice I've had break -ins -- twice they came in through the window off my fire escape. I even had a gate on the window but they pushed the bottom section enough so they could squeeze through. I didn't have much to take so they got some jewelry and took my cable box, which I still don't get... what are those worth?

The second time, they came though a different window, which is amazing since I'm about 10 feet off the ground and whoever it was would need some kind of ladder. Anyway, it still haunts me to this day. It happened while I was at work - the burglar apparently opened the window but didn't come in, because nothing was taken. The only thing missing was my cat... she must have jumped out the window sometime during the day. I never saw her again.

One more incident: I was watching TV around 9PM one winter night and I hear someone knocking on my window from the fire escape. After a second of shock, I peer around the wall and bark "What?!". A female voice comes out of the dark saying "I'm scared. Someone chased me out of my apartment. Can you let me in?". WTF! I tell this fool to keep going down the fire escape ladder to the ground floor (I'm on the first floor) and she can get out through the alley. She says "I know you're old, but please help me". The weird(?) thing is that this person spoke in a dead monotone, no fear or helplessness. I assumed CRACKHEAD and told her to keep going. No way was this person coming in and I shudder to think what their motive was.

All this happened in Flatbush, Brooklyn during the 90's when it was a going through a really grimy phase.

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 6:13 PM

This isn't serious and more like teen shenanigans: my nonna lived in a big, old inner-city three-story house in the 1960s. She kept buying these huge ceramic piggy banks and filling them with her change. Without fail, once a month when she would spend all day Sunday at one of her children's homes rather than doing the Sunday cooking herself she would come home to her backdoor being jimmied and her piggy bank that she kept on top of a kitchen sideboard gone. Must have been teenagers since they were too dumb to ever search the rest of the house. If they had, they would have found she kept way more cash in her bedroom, literally under the mattress and in shoe boxes. I also think nonna was crazy like a fox, her piggy bank was a decoy that kept them from searching any further. It went on for about four years then stopped. I'm guessing the culprits graduated high school and moved away. My uncle kept suggesting she just leave the back door unlocked and set out some biscotti and coffee in a thermos for them.

The piggy banks looked like this and she bought a different color each time:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 6:39 PM

Trying another piggy bank link for nostalgia's sake:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 6:44 PM

I had a friend who had a break-in at his apartment. I'm not sure what all they stole, but they took all his photograph albums, which I thought was very cruel.

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 6:58 PM

When I was a kid there was a period when we lived next door to a family that had a fat daughter. It was the kind of neighborhood where it was common to leave doors unlocked when at home.

The girl was probably 8 or 9 and her mom kept her on a restrictive diet. One summer night my mom heard a noise, got up to investigate and found the fat girl from next door in our kitchen. She'd rummaged through the fridge and cupboards and was having a middle-of-the-night feast.

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 7:06 PM

Yes. When I was in college, I lived at my parents. My bedroom was in the basement. One night I was getting ready to go out. The basement door was open and I could hear the door to outside opening and closing. I thought it was one of my brothers coming home. My folks were in bed. I went upstairs to get my jacket which I had put on the back of a kitchen chair. The first thing I noticed was that someone had tracked ice and slush onto the floor. Then I noticed that my jacket was missing along with the small portable tv that Mom had on the counter. I ran outside and saw that the car doors were open and someone had gone through my car.

I thought it very bold of them to come in and steal while there were clearly people awake in the house. Two weeks later the police called and said that someone had found the things from my car in a dumpster.

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 7:12 PM

I went through a period of a few weeks where I’d come home to an unlocked apartment door once or twice a week. I didn’t have pets at the time so there was nobody I had to worry about. Nothing was ever out of place and it disturbed me but I wracked my brain for explanations. I figured it must be me or maybe somehow the lock moved itself. I started very consciously locking my door every morning to be certain it was fine. One day I came home after doing that and it was unlocked. I had my locks changed and it hasn’t happened since. I had some neighbours at the time who seemed like drug addicts and I wonder if somehow they did it. I also had a small package stolen for the first and only time during that.

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2023 7:25 PM

This not a break-in I experienced, but to a sibling and it was a scary situation after the fact.

I used to live two doors away from my sister in an apartment building. We would sometimes leave our doors unlocked, as we would go back and forth between apartments all the time. One day I heard her door opening and just assumed it was her going out or coming in. I thought about going over to chat, but got busy with other stuff.

Later that day, my sister knocked on my door and said someone had robbed her apartment. I then realized that when I heard her door opening it was the burglar. To this day I'm thankful that I didn't go over at that time because who knows what could have happened if I walked in and surprised the burglar. I'm sure I would have froze and probably been in danger. It sucks that my sister didn't walk in on the creep herself because she was with NYPD at the time, with a weapon.

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2023 7:39 PM

Hell, yes! My shitty next door newborn, ex-friend, Barb did. She found my secret key hidden outdoors. Stole my Private Dancer clock.

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2023 8:06 PM

R11 you broke up with your boyfriend after having long experience that he: owed you money, was unemployed, was a liar, and was a slob. Yet you gave him keys to your house. A trust which he abused, predictably. In fact he turned out to be so bad, you finally realised you couldn't be friends at all. That's all that I, the cunt, am saying.

by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2023 9:16 PM

Once many years ago, after I had left for work.

Came home at noon for lunch and my back door had been kicked in. PITA getting the door jamb and trim repaired.

Only thing stolen was an SLR camera.

I think it was hobos riding the rails because I lived near a railroad track back then. Two other houses near me were broken into as well that morning.

by Anonymousreply 22March 18, 2023 9:59 PM

Has anyone broken into your snack drawer while you were at the spa? It’s happened to me.

by Anonymousreply 23March 18, 2023 10:21 PM

OK. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 24March 18, 2023 10:24 PM

R9 and R21, yes, you are a judgmental cunt. You can't readily extrapolate from the fact that he was a slob, owed me money, or was unemployed that he'd bring tricks over to my house to fuck. The fact that he was a liar is marginal since he never lied about stuff like that. That was the first time he ever did anything like that, and even people who knew him were surprised when I told them. So, you know, not someone like you who knows zilch about him. But I guess in your omniscience you'd see it, you paragon of perfection. Keep judging and keep cunting. It's probably all you've got.

by Anonymousreply 25March 19, 2023 5:48 AM

A neighbor in a highrise had tried at 3am when he was drunk. I knew it was him because he was spewing abuse at me as he tried to get through the locked screen door. Also I got up and looked through the front door peep hole. I called the police and they arrived within 5 minutes. By that time the neighbor had retreated to his unit but left his front door open. I heard them questioning him and then peeped them taking the neighbor away in handcuffs. I moved out soon after.

by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2023 6:15 AM

I have a vivid memory from when I was about 8 years old where I recall lying in bed one night and seeing a flashlight beaming through my bedroom window—it looked like the flashlight was right up against the glass. It terrified me, and I buried myself under the covers. Whatever it was went away, and I remember telling my mom about it in the morning, but I have always wondered if someone was trying to break into our house. I grew up in the woods, which made it even scarier. We never suffered a break-in, but I've never forgotten it.

by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2023 6:20 AM

Yes, Idiot me went on a trip to Boston to visit a friend and forgot to take the address and phone # with me. So I called my next door neighbor and asked her to push my kitchen window open and get my address book and I would call her back. Plucky girl did just that so I wasn't stranded by my ineptitude.

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2023 6:27 AM

Yeah. I live in a converted attic on the top floor of an old building. I knew that the top and ground floors are favorites with burglars and that new doors were easy to break into, so shame on me. I've since reinforced the door.

The one other neighbor on my floor came home to see my door open and 2 young guys. She asked if she could help them and they ran off. I always wished she'd stuck out a leg and caused them to fall down the stairs and break their necks, but oh well.

The good thing is that although my apartment is the best in my building in terms of size/layout, I live quite spartanly--there was nothing of any value to take. The bit of cash and stuff easily converted to cash wasn't found, and they left behind a camera in their rush to leave. Thinking of their disappointment when they got my door open still gives me joy.

by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2023 6:33 AM

one time some guys i was partying with at a house party came to my house later that night and tried to get in my house wanting to rape me. they were drunk and/or high and were outside standing on my AC unit saying how much they wanted to fuck my mouth and ass.

by Anonymousreply 30March 19, 2023 12:33 PM

R26

[quote] A neighbor in a highrise had tried at 3am when he was drunk. I knew it was him because he was spewing abuse at me as he tried to get through the locked screen door.

I'm curious. I didn't know it was possible to have a screen door in a high rise. Can you explain?

by Anonymousreply 31March 19, 2023 1:29 PM

Yes we all had screen doors over our front doors. But then the hallways were open plan so I guess they also acted as fly screens.

by Anonymousreply 32March 19, 2023 1:32 PM

R16 grew up next door to a young Chrissie Metz

by Anonymousreply 33March 19, 2023 1:42 PM

R29 = Rhoda Morgenstern

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2023 4:05 PM

Had anyone ever eaten your ass?

by Anonymousreply 35March 19, 2023 4:28 PM

Someone broke into the girl's apartment below me and raped her. I was sleeping and didn't hear a thing. Those old 100 year old buildings were built very solidly and soundproof.

by Anonymousreply 36March 19, 2023 5:27 PM

Why yes, r35.

by Anonymousreply 37March 19, 2023 6:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!