Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Boring celeb encounters

There's not always a fun little story, is there? I once sat next to David Duchovny on a flight, back when the X Files was still on, and he read the Wall Street Journal for the entire flight. Three hours. He was polite and quiet. I thought that was a long time to read the paper.

by Anonymousreply 600April 10, 2023 12:34 PM

I peed next to Adrian Brody at an NYC Equinox urinal. I didn’t see anything.

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 1:50 PM

Celebrities aren't there to make your chance encounter exciting. Although I also can't see how anybody takes three hours to read the WSJ, or any paper for that matter, except person the Sunday NY Times.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 1:51 PM

I think it might have been the Sunday WSJ? I don't remember. I was doing a crossword.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 2:02 PM

It isn't anybody's job to be fascinating at all times.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 2:03 PM

Three hours to read the newspaper?

Take the hint, OP, he's just not that into you.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 2:37 PM

I waited on Nora Dunn in a coffee shop 30+ years ago. She had been at the bookstore next door for a signing of something.

Her manager/PA (?) did most of the ordering. She had no interest in idle chat.

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 2:50 PM

I once waited on Robert Redford. He was by himself, he seemed to be in a good mood, and said something about what a beautiful day it was (it was a beautiful day.) I sat him in front of our big picture window. I looked over at him a few times and he was gazing out the window, smiling.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 3:05 PM

I served quite a few low rate celebrities when I worked in Selfridges. Noel Gallagher (fine), Timothy Dalton (charming), Jerry Hall (a fine suthin woman), Alicia Keys (ghetto), Paul Weller (his credit card declined and he was going apeshit until I told him you'll just have to call your bank)

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 3:48 PM

I once ran into Norah Jones in a coffee shop. She was gorgeous in person.

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 3:53 PM

[quote]I peed next to Adrian Brody at an NYC Equinox urinal. I didn’t see anything.

I suspect his nose blocked your view.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 4:00 PM

Years ago, Joseph Cotton in a fabulous 40’s style knit and leather sweater with his wife Patricia Medina behind us in line at Mrs. See’s in Palm Springs.

We talked about caramels.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 4:23 PM

Um, R5, he jostled my elbow at one point and said "excuse me." So....

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 5:33 PM

My friend told me she sat next to Cate Blanchett on a train ride a few years ago. She said the entire time she pretened she didn't know who Cate was just to secretly spy on her, and asked her random questions like the time, train arrival time trivial shit like that. She said Cate was reading the entire time and didnt look bothered when she asked her questions. Said she got off the train before Cate. That's all

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 5:39 PM

You just reminded me, I pretended not to recognize Jake Gyllenhaal waiting on a long light at a crosswalk one time because he seemed apprehensive. We said nothing to each other and then he walked away.

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 6:17 PM

R13 I wonder if Cate regales people with the story of the time she sat next to an autistic woman on a train and got peppered with questions about train schedules.

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 7:51 PM

I also encountered Cate on a train (Sydney Eastern suburbs line). She sat opposite me with a couple of her kids. She got on at Kings Cross. She got off at Town Hall. End of.

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 8:37 PM

Randy Jackson (American Idol and some other shit) sat in the hotel lobby bar next to me in Chicago once. He was polite to the bartender, but basically sat and never said a word the entire time - just scrolling on his ipad.

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 8:40 PM

Am I the only one who has not encountered Cate Blanchett on public transportation?

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2023 8:42 PM

Matt Smith used my cellphone as a flashlight without my permission, once.

In his defense, I did just have it sitting on the table with the flashlight on. I was trying to light up a dark area.

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2023 8:44 PM

[quote] Celebrities aren't there to make your chance encounter exciting.

You don't say.

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2023 8:47 PM

Walked into a Starbucks and saw Michelle Pfeiffer standing at the entrance, holding a coffee cup, talking to someone. She was wearing a ball cap and a track suit (circa Juicy Couture days). For some reason, I looked down at her feet and she had very nicely-kept feet. IIRC, a light pink / nude-ish color of nail polish. Her demeanor was very low-key.

by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2023 8:50 PM

Keira Knightley seems like a lovely person.

by Anonymousreply 22March 18, 2023 8:51 PM

I showed Smoky Robinson how to use the video player on a flight to LA when he was next to me. He watched his movie, I watched mine, we both had work to do and we hardly spoke all the way across.

by Anonymousreply 23March 18, 2023 10:18 PM

Right, r18. Just how tiny is Australia. It seems like everyone has met Cate Blanchett

by Anonymousreply 24March 18, 2023 10:54 PM

R24 well Cate is Australian and she was living in Sydney at the time. Sydney isn’t tiny - 5 million people - but she was known for taking public transport. Besides, only two of us have seen her on the train, and the other person could have seen her anyway.

by Anonymousreply 25March 18, 2023 11:10 PM

^^^ “anywhere” not “anyway”

by Anonymousreply 26March 18, 2023 11:11 PM

R25 You don't have to go around dryly repeating common knowledge. It's a terrible personality trait. Everyone knows Cate Blanchett is Australian. Please go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 27March 18, 2023 11:24 PM

I saw Louis Black smoking outside of a building one time. He looked grumpy.

by Anonymousreply 28March 18, 2023 11:44 PM

We can't all personally witness Cate Blanchett riding trains, R27. Please keep your seething, bitter jealousy to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 29March 18, 2023 11:46 PM

[quote] Besides, only two of us have seen her on the train, and the other person could have seen her anyway.

R25/r16 which 2? I thought was just r16(you) and r13's friend who saw Cate riding the bus. Which other person saw Cate?

by Anonymousreply 30March 18, 2023 11:52 PM

I've had a billion of them, but my favorite was the time I sat next to Bill Russell on a flight from DC to LGB. I had no idea who he was and I kept wondering why all the men on my flight kept staring at me (I was momentarily flattered and then worried I had something on my face.) I asked him, courteously, if he would like me to help him take his jacket off, as his arms were about 19 feet long and he was struggling. He seemed irritated. At one point, I repeated a question from the flight attendant.

We deplaned. Several men came rushing up to him, shoving me aside in the process. I continued on, oblivious, until a FA whispered, "So what was it like to sit next to Bill Russell for five hours?" I replied, "boring."

by Anonymousreply 31March 18, 2023 11:55 PM

I served Lucy coffee on a flight in the 70s, and she didn't throw it at me.

by Anonymousreply 32March 19, 2023 12:00 AM

My brother saw Sean Penn in JFK airport. Said he was tiny.

by Anonymousreply 33March 19, 2023 12:03 AM

Sat next to Stedman Graham in a small coffee shop in San Francisco, we were both eating breakfast alone. He has HUGE hands.

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2023 12:07 AM

I sat next to or across several movie and TV stars over the years, but the only one that was both boring and quite sad was on a Delta flight from Atlanta to LA. I was in the first row aisle seat in business class. Then in comes Mary Ann Mobley and her clearly drunk off his ass husband Gary Collins. He was so drunk that he had to be helped onto the plane by two male airline staffers. They sat in the first row seats across the aisle. Collins passed out cold practically before they even had him in the seat. MAM sat there and looked like someone had just spat in her face. Everything went okay once we were in the air until they started the dinner service. MAM waved off all food and just asked for a cocktail. Collins was still comatose, so nothing for him. After the dinner service they started the movie. MAM took off her shoes and slunk down in her seat and propped her bare feet up against the bulkhead. The FA came by, leaned down to her and I assume told her to get her hooves off the wall, because as the FA walked off MAM gave her a look to kill as she pulled her feet back to her seat. She crossed her arms and sat there looking like she wanted to kill reading a book for the remainder of the flight. Once we pulled to the gate in LA neither of them made a move to get up. They sat there as everyone passed by. i assumed they wouldn't be able to deplane until someone with the airline came on board to drag that sot Collins off the plane.

by Anonymousreply 35March 19, 2023 12:22 AM

R19 do tell, what were you and Matt Smith doing in a dark area, hmmm?

by Anonymousreply 36March 19, 2023 12:27 AM

R30 you would have to ask R13 or their friend who saw Cate riding the train (I can’t imagine her riding the bus - I certainly don’t!). It’s possible that you’re overcomplicating things.

by Anonymousreply 37March 19, 2023 12:28 AM

Last year, my Mum got on half-full public bus and sat behind Lee Ryan off of Blue. He had on a hoodie and cap (like anyone remembers him these days), and was slumped in his seat with his head down, miserable and mumbling to someone on his phone the entire journey. Mum, an eavesdropper par excellence, said it sounded like he was sober enough but pretty annoyed and the conversation was job/money related, though he kept his volume down to a hissing whine rather than shouting and causing a scene (lucky, as he's apparently got issues with anger). Afaik he's bankrupt and been in trouble and in the gossip rags so many times in the past, he probably just wanted to avoid another stint in the nick or more police fines.

by Anonymousreply 38March 19, 2023 12:33 AM

Bill Whitaker and I discussed classical music and literature in a quiet bistro. He is a very intelligent man.

by Anonymousreply 39March 19, 2023 12:34 AM

Hi R27! I’m just back from fucking myself - very pleasant, thanks for the suggestion - I have added “dryly repeating Cate Blanchett’s nationality and public transport choices” to the long list of my terrible personality traits.

It’s special people such as your good self who keep me coming back for more on the DL.

As I was saying to Cate on the all stations to Bondi Junction train just now. She says “hi”.

by Anonymousreply 40March 19, 2023 12:35 AM

Cate Blanchett doesn't have a driver's license?

by Anonymousreply 41March 19, 2023 12:37 AM

R41 I’m sure that she does have a driver’s license - I’ll ask her next time that I run into her on the train - but sometimes because of the parking and traffic situation in Sydney, it’s better to leave the car at home.

Or maybe she just likes to keep it real for the kids. We’re not close - I’m not sure.

by Anonymousreply 42March 19, 2023 12:42 AM

I once helped John Lithgow dial a long distance call on my work’s phone. I think it was to his agent as he was arguing over fees for something involving his Shrek character (it had just come out a few months earlier.)

by Anonymousreply 43March 19, 2023 12:43 AM

R40/R42 please tell her I send my love

by Anonymousreply 44March 19, 2023 12:50 AM

I used to work in the Frank Gehry building next to Tower Records on Sunset. One day as I was walking out the the building towards the off-site auxiliary garage the cogs had to park in, I found myself walking along side Bono. He had just walked out Tower. We walked to the intersection, waited together at the signal, and when it changed I walked towards my car and he walked towards the Marquis. I'm short, but he was shorter, wearing platform creepers, and he had plus on his crown that made him look like he had doll hair.

by Anonymousreply 45March 19, 2023 12:54 AM

It was years after the Parkinson's syndrome.

I saw Muhammad Ali at La Guardia and a crowd of people at the gate stood around him watching as he tried to put a pen into his suit jacket pocket. It was terrible. Terrible.

No, I didn't sit and gawk. I looked at the people staring at him.

by Anonymousreply 46March 19, 2023 12:55 AM

I did, R44 - she teared up. She’s a little emotional after the Oscars.

She’s Australian, you know - we’re like that. .

by Anonymousreply 47March 19, 2023 12:56 AM

[quote] I'm short, but he was shorter, wearing platform creepers, and he had plus on his crown that made him look like he had doll hair.

R45, "crown" meaning a wig?

by Anonymousreply 48March 19, 2023 1:08 AM

Yes I saw Bono in Dublin once and yes he is short and wears platforms just like Tammy Cruise. I've been at a dinner that Bill Clinton was at - very ruddy faced. Been in a bookshop with Tony Blair (nothing to report there he was just browsing in the history section). I was in a bodega once and Jonathan Rhys Meyers was buying cigarettes he looked like he'd had a late night.

by Anonymousreply 49March 19, 2023 1:18 AM

I shook hands with Bill Clinton once. He held on to my hand for a long time. I don't know why. The crowd was so thick, I couldn't really see him despite shaking hands with him.

by Anonymousreply 50March 19, 2023 1:41 AM

R49 should have made a pass at JRM, might have got some crazy ass that night.

by Anonymousreply 51March 19, 2023 1:45 AM

I second R51’s suggestion. I still find JRM sexy af.

I work at the courthouse where Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively got married. Their dog was one of their witnesses. Very polite and humble couple. They had a decoy town car parked in the front of the building but exited into another at the back to avoid the paparazzi.

by Anonymousreply 52March 19, 2023 1:57 AM

A business associate and his wife sat next to Danny DeVito & guest at the NY Met. Both my associate and DV chattered through all 3 intermissions like old friends as both are dedicated opera fans. DV came across as well-educated, well-mannered, and charming.

by Anonymousreply 53March 19, 2023 2:01 AM

Yes, Danny DeVito stayed at a hotel where I used to work and he seemed like a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 54March 19, 2023 2:12 AM

When you're that ugly, you better be nice.

by Anonymousreply 55March 19, 2023 2:13 AM

[quote] It isn't anybody's job to be fascinating at all times.

You sound boring.

by Anonymousreply 56March 19, 2023 2:16 AM

R53 Danny DeVito is into the opera? That's amazing. Wonder what shows are his favourites?

by Anonymousreply 57March 19, 2023 2:20 AM

I owned a retail store near top universities, and had many celebrities come into my store when they were either checking one of the colleges out for their spawn, attending a graduation, or receiving an honorary degree from one of the colleges. Mostly everyone was wonderful, except two:

Andy Williams (honorary music degree)

Dominick Dunne (graduation speaker)

by Anonymousreply 58March 19, 2023 2:37 AM

[quote][R19] do tell, what were you and Matt Smith doing in a dark area, hmmm?

r36 Searching for snacks under the crafty tent during a night shoot. The lantern they had posted in the corner ran out of batteries.

by Anonymousreply 59March 19, 2023 2:53 AM

I shared an elevator with Phil Keoghan, the host of "Amazing Race," in Washington DC once a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 60March 19, 2023 2:55 AM

R58, what happened with Andy Williams and Dominick Dunne?

by Anonymousreply 61March 19, 2023 3:27 AM

I've shared lifts with Richard Branson several times at Zermatt. He remembers that I recognise him and we exchange basic pleasantries but have never introduced ourselves. Come to think of it, that is rather incurious of him because he knows I know him but he has never introduced himself to ask my name.

by Anonymousreply 62March 19, 2023 3:32 AM

Southwest flight. Former Senator Mary Landrieu was in the middle seat behind me. Very small woman.

When we were standing before the jet door was opened, the guy who had sat next to her the whole flight said, "Our politics don't agree at all but I'm impressed you fly Southwest and not first class."

She looked uncomfortable and said something like "I do my best."

Boring enough for you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 63March 19, 2023 3:35 AM

I shared a bottle of mosquito repellant with Dave Brubeck during a break at an outdoor concert. Guess who was playing? Go on, I'll just Take 5 while you figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 64March 19, 2023 4:27 AM

Richard Branson seems like a creep.

by Anonymousreply 65March 19, 2023 4:54 AM

I have a Rose Byrne story but as I never actually interacted with her I will put it here. She was in a play in Sydney before she headed to Hollywood to make it big. She was nothing special in the play but in the foyer after she was dressed like Audrey Hepburn which seemed wildly inappropriate for the situation so it was clear she had higher ambitions.

by Anonymousreply 66March 19, 2023 5:08 AM

I have another actor - Cate Blanchett. I saw her in a play at NIDA when she was still a student. Her performance was all cat-like movement. I was introduced to her afterward for some reason and commented on her cat. She replied that yes she had initially studied a cat for her character but then dropped the idea and let her imagination take over. But she seemed annoyed that I had spotted the cat as if it was some big technical secret. She sounded like a humorless and pretentious fool which was only noteworthy because NIDA students are trained to suck up to anyone in the foyer in case they could give them a job.

by Anonymousreply 67March 19, 2023 5:16 AM

I guess Cate caught the bus to NIDA - no trains out Kensington way.

by Anonymousreply 68March 19, 2023 5:46 AM

I sat right behind Chloe Sevigny on a crosstown bus in Manhattan. The M23. She had lovely skin and looked very pretty. Not a word was spoke by either of us.

by Anonymousreply 69March 19, 2023 6:09 AM

When I had a job at the post office I served Peter Weir the film director. I asked him what he was working on but I forget what it was. His manner was effete.

by Anonymousreply 70March 19, 2023 6:19 AM

I shaw sssherry Sshhephard sssippling a ssspit of ssshhherry and shewing down on a sssubbsway sssammwhitch!

by Anonymousreply 71March 19, 2023 6:47 AM

Hilarious, R71!

by Anonymousreply 72March 19, 2023 6:56 AM

^Fuck off faggot.

by Anonymousreply 73March 19, 2023 7:55 AM

Amazing comeback, R73. I simply cannot compete with humour of that level of maturity!

by Anonymousreply 74March 19, 2023 8:07 AM

I went to a live musical performance at Lincoln Center when I was in grad school (a musical showcase of Todd Almond songs), and Patricia Clarkson was seated behind me. I’d recognize that voice from a mile away. I heard her talking and slyly turned around—we made eye contact and I smiled at her. She smiled back, but I didn’t say anything to her. Courtney Love performed a song at the show, and she was sitting with her then-boyfriend at a table to the left of the stage after her performance. I have always loved her music and wanted to approach her after the show just to shake her hand and say thanks, but she was being mobbed by gothy Hole queens who were inappropriately dressed for the occasion, so I decided to walk on past and leave her alone. She looked surprisingly good up close.

by Anonymousreply 75March 19, 2023 8:27 AM

I was in a theatre foyer after a show and a legendary actress was standing talking to someone in front of me. Our eyes locked and the person she was talking to walked away. She gave me a smile as if to stay approach but just then someone else jumped in between us and started talking to her. The legend looked at me with regret.

by Anonymousreply 76March 19, 2023 8:35 AM

Used to belong to the same gym as Nicole Kidman.

One evening as I was asking in, Nicole and friend were coming in behind me so I stood back and held the door wide open for them, as I do for anybody.

They walked in and didn’t even acknowledge the act in any way. I didn’t want a bouquet but people, especially in NYC, typically nod or something. So, boring and a tad rude/entitled.

by Anonymousreply 77March 19, 2023 8:42 AM

Before Cate Blanchett made it in Hollywood, I once saw her saddling up a kangaroo to ride into the Sydney CBD.

by Anonymousreply 78March 19, 2023 8:42 AM

R77 - maybe she thought you were staff.

by Anonymousreply 79March 19, 2023 8:46 AM

I once saw Ellen Burstyn walking along Central Park West—she looked like a very casual, low key old lady. Also passed by Hank Azaria once in the park. He was talking on his cell phone. I’ve always found him hot, but he was even hotter in person.

by Anonymousreply 80March 19, 2023 8:47 AM

R77 Kidman puts on a humbleness in interviews, but I’ve always suspected she is probably a cunt in real life. Still, I’m a fan of her work.

by Anonymousreply 81March 19, 2023 8:51 AM

I ran into many famous politicians flying to & from Washington DC - including Bob Kerry, who was seating in MY seat ( I let him keep it, ‘cuz he only has one leg.)

I sat next to that fucking creep Ed Meese - he’s surprisingly friendly.

And, I almost ran Janet Reno’s foot over with a shopping cart at Eastern Market.

by Anonymousreply 82March 19, 2023 9:16 AM

I used to work in corporate events. I worked with Dawn Wells one afternoon when she was pitching her line of clothing to healthcare professionals. It was clothing that we held together with velcro instead of buttons and was designed for the bed-ridden community.

In another event, I worked with Dixie Carter who had a half-hour cabaret lounge act. She was high-strung that day and kept wanting us to bring the rounds closer together to make the space more intimate. There has to be clearance around the tables for servers to get in and out. She couldn't understand that this was an event for 500 attendees and there was no way to bring all these tables closer to the stage. She kept saying, "The show is GOING TO DIE if we can't bring everyone closer to the stage". We humored her and moved each table a few inches closer. That seemed to satisfy her for a while. At some point after the rehearsal, she chilled out and was very pleasant that evening.

by Anonymousreply 83March 19, 2023 9:18 AM

Southern California: having lunch outside at Kings Road Cafe…an adorable brindle Boston Terrier at the next table came over, wagging its tail. I smiled, looked up at the dog’s owner, and said, “Cute dog!” Famke Janssen said, “Thank you,” and smiled back.

by Anonymousreply 84March 19, 2023 9:26 AM

In another sighting I jogged past Joan Van Ark. She was in full makeup, which was odd. This was at the reservoir that Madonna's villa overlooked. At that same reservoir, I got cruised by Keanu Reeves as he was jogging in the opposite direction. And it wasn't just a glance. He gave me a proper gay cruise.

I did the cruising technique where I slowed down and ran backward to see if he turned back around. Unfortunately, he didn't. Then I jogged an entire new loop around the lake to see if he would cruise me again. I didn't see him a second time. But what a great workout.

by Anonymousreply 85March 19, 2023 9:29 AM

I was in Marco Island, FL and GL star Kim Zimmer came into a pub with her hubby and kids. Pleasant, not loud and she had to tell her boys she can't order everything off the menu. KZ was blonder, tan and wore a lot of plastic jewelry. People recognized her, and mercifully let her eat in peace.

by Anonymousreply 86March 19, 2023 9:50 AM

Many years ago, I did a community theater show with Bess Armstrong's sister. Bess came to one of the performances. It was around the time of her sitcom On Our Own, so she was known. Some of the cast members were agog when she came backstage. I didn't speak to her, but she seemed pleasant enough.

by Anonymousreply 87March 19, 2023 10:03 AM

Back in the day, Joan was always out running there. I used to pass her all the time. Very friendly. Very undernourished.

by Anonymousreply 88March 19, 2023 10:42 AM

R88 Joan Cusack?

by Anonymousreply 89March 19, 2023 10:46 AM

Cate Blanchett barely lives in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 90March 19, 2023 10:57 AM

Betty White was at the Beverly Center bookstore to sign copies of her latest book about how much she loves animals. But my friend reported when he went she was sitting alone at a big table with a stack of books in front of her. People were in the bookstore shopping but no one was buying her book or really acknowledging her. She just sat there, pen in hand, waiting. She would occasionally wipe off some imaginary dust to look busy.

by Anonymousreply 91March 19, 2023 11:04 AM

I shared an elevator with Downtown Julie Brown around 1990. She was about 4 ft tall in heels, and looked to weigh about 80 lbs. She was very attractive.

I disembarked at JFK on my first trip to NYC at age 12 and Dolly Parton was at the gate (being mobbed).

Lisa Brown, Nola/Iva from the P&G soaps, and her family were buying books where I worked in 1994 on their way to the Outer Banks for vacation. She was really lovely in person.

by Anonymousreply 92March 19, 2023 11:04 AM

[quote] At that same reservoir, I got cruised by Keanu Reeves as he was jogging in the opposite direction. And it wasn't just a glance. He gave me a proper gay cruise.

Keanu really is a delight. Every new story I hear about him is pleasing. Legend of put the time.

by Anonymousreply 93March 19, 2023 11:36 AM

Tracee Ellis Ross smiled and said "excuse me" in a coffee shop in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 94March 19, 2023 11:48 AM

R63 Ugggh, so boring! I did a book report on her when I was in middle school. I don't remember anything about her.

by Anonymousreply 95March 19, 2023 11:48 AM

I rode the #6 train heading uptown with Ivanka Trump during rush hour about 20 years ago. She had a seat and was wearing very high heels.

by Anonymousreply 96March 19, 2023 11:57 AM

Once upon a time as a teenager, I got snuck into some kind of record company party that was a showcase of prospective bands they might sign. We were there for the open bar (free alcohol!) and I made a beeline to go get us all drinks the second we got there.

There was an unusual looking man sitting at the bar who seemed friendly. He said hello and we had a short conversation, the only thing I remembered was he said he was from Los Angeles- all the explanation I needed for why the looked like he did. I thought he was cool and nice. I was probably saying stupid things, he seemed gently amused by me.

I went back over to my friends, and we noticed at some point that everyone at the party was being weirdly deferential to the nice guy at the bar. They all seemed to be nervously approaching him, like he was very important. We assumed he must be some kind of executive for the record label. Very cool!

Years and years later, I saw some guy being interviewed who looked and sounded so familiar. It was that guy that worked for that record company! ... it was Danny Elfman from Oingo Bingo.

by Anonymousreply 97March 19, 2023 11:58 AM

R78, what?

by Anonymousreply 98March 19, 2023 12:04 PM

This, R98.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 19, 2023 12:46 PM

Nice nightmare fuel, R99.

by Anonymousreply 100March 19, 2023 1:02 PM

I saw Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins at an airport. We were both at baggage claim and he was talking to an assistant or someone when we made eye contact. He was wearing a ski cap with long ear straps (it was November in the Midwest). That’s it.

by Anonymousreply 101March 19, 2023 1:04 PM

One year at Leeds festival I accidentally waved to Peter Crouch across a crowded stage. I was trying to get the attention of someone I know stood near him, but caught his attention instead. Crouchy gamely and enthusiastically waved back at me with a silly exasperated smile, probably assuming I was off my tits and/or a big LFC & England mens’ football fan (actually I was sober at that moment, and while I do like his teams I’m a Wales fan primarily lol). His wife Abby who was next to him smiled a bit too. They seem really lovely and normal. After that set finished and the band (can’t remember who, now) left, and I went in their direction to find my lost friend, they disappeared and I didn’t see them again all festival.

by Anonymousreply 102March 19, 2023 1:13 PM

I shared an elevator with Paul Stanley from KISS. Ihe was wearing baby blue cowboy boots.

by Anonymousreply 103March 19, 2023 1:13 PM

Ann Richards cut me in line at Einstein Bros. Bagels one morning. Pretty entitled but I guess she felt she’d earned it. Also in Austin, as a teenager I checked out Kathy Bates as she was purchasing a stack of books. I recognized her but said nothing and she winked in acknowledgment.

by Anonymousreply 104March 19, 2023 1:17 PM

This is true.

I met Hillary Clinton when she was appearing while Bill was running for president the first time. I told her that I wished she was the one running for the job. She jokingly staggered backwards, bugged her eyes and shook her head no.

by Anonymousreply 105March 19, 2023 1:20 PM

TWA used to run a flight from Boston to Mexico City via LaGuardia and New Orleans years ago (has to have been: they were bought by AA in 2001) and we got on in Boston en route to NOLA. A lot of broadcast exec types got on in NYC headed, we learned, for the the annual National Association of Broadcasters convention meeting in New Orleans and filled the rest of First Class. After takeoff from NY, I recognized the then head of Fox News, Roger Ailes in the front row. We never interacted, but when I mentioned it later, a couple of people said I should have hijacked the plane and brought it down, sparing the US from Murdoch, Fox, the Republicans and eventually Trump.

by Anonymousreply 106March 19, 2023 1:54 PM

I hate when Australians post and crap themselves over the terrible Sydney traffic and parking, so awful that peons and movie stars all must hang on the straps and get emotional and share Vegemite recipes.

Island syndrome from the descendants of common criminals.

by Anonymousreply 107March 19, 2023 1:57 PM

I've just started work on my genius new musical, 'Riding on Trains with Cate Blanchett' which is slated for the Adelphi in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 108March 19, 2023 2:08 PM

Years ago I was standing in line waiting to check in for my flight at a small regional airport when Phyllis George (former Miss America, former CBS Morning Show co-host, now just former) arrived and stood behind me. I don’t think anyone else recognized her, or if they did they just pretended not to. She was talking to herself while we waited, like “where’s my ticket? Oh, here it is.” Just a stream of consciousness. She sounded like a ditz or maybe a very nervous flyer.

by Anonymousreply 109March 19, 2023 2:10 PM

Helmut Schmidt, the former German chancellor, walking along the beach on Captiva Island off Ft. Myers in a dark suit, white shirt, dark tie, and oxford shoes. He looked like he was headed to or from a funeral surrounded by three or four security people, all dressed for their surroundings in shorts and golf shirts, unlike Schmidt.

by Anonymousreply 110March 19, 2023 2:13 PM

In the late 90's, Steve Martin waiting for a water taxi in St Mark's Square in Venice. Hand shielding his face trying not to be noticed.

I waited on Goldie Hawn, her youngest and her brother in Denny's. She was very causal and very pretty. It was quick evident that she parented her child not some nanny.

by Anonymousreply 111March 19, 2023 2:27 PM

He must mean Joan Lunden...

by Anonymousreply 112March 19, 2023 2:30 PM

I sat next to Jamie Lee Curtis in first class on a flight. she had the window seat, was wearing a baseball hat and sunglasses. She turned to me once everyone boarded and said, "I know you know who I am, but I am really trying to get some rest on this flight so nice to meet you but please don't bother me." I smiled politely and went back to my book.

by Anonymousreply 113March 19, 2023 2:38 PM

I saw Dottie West at Shoney's a few months before she passed. from wiki about her passing:

On August 30, 1991, West was scheduled to perform at the Grand Ole Opry. Shortly after she left her apartment at Nashville's Wessex Towers, her car, a Chrysler New Yorker that Rogers had given to her following the loss of her possessions at the IRS auction, stalled in front of the old Belle Meade theater on Harding Road. West's 81-year-old neighbor George Thackston spotted her on the side of the road and offered to drive her to the Opry for her scheduled appearance. Frantic about reaching the Opry on time, West urged Thackston to drive at high speed.

Thackston lost control of his vehicle while traveling through the Opryland exit on Briley Parkway at a speed of 55 miles per hour; the speed limit for the exit ramp was posted as 25 miles per hour. The car left the ramp, went airborne and struck the central divider. Thackston was found to have had a blood-alcohol content of 0.08%. He pled no contest to reckless endangerment and was ordered to complete an alcohol treatment program.

West died in the hospital a few days after the crash.

by Anonymousreply 114March 19, 2023 2:38 PM

Every encounter with G is boring, obviously

by Anonymousreply 115March 19, 2023 2:53 PM

The Adelphi Theater where On the Town had its Broadway premiere and was used for the famous 39 episodes of The Honeymooners ended up as the George Abbott and was torn down in 1970 so I don't know how your show is going to open there.

by Anonymousreply 116March 19, 2023 3:01 PM

R91 Aw, bless. Poor Betty.

by Anonymousreply 117March 19, 2023 3:02 PM

[quote]She turned to me once everyone boarded and said, "I know you know who I am, but I am really trying to get some rest on this flight so nice to meet you but please don't bother me."

What an insufferable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 118March 19, 2023 3:02 PM

Ypir and I were running on treadmills at the same time in the gym at the Hotel President Wilson in Geneva.

by Anonymousreply 119March 19, 2023 3:02 PM

On a road trip with my family sometime in the late 70's or early 80's I spotted Richard Deacon in the men's room of a rest stop. My mother didn't believe me and my father when we told her that we had just seen Mr. Rutherford. So we sat in the parking lot for a few minutes so she could see him going to his car.

by Anonymousreply 120March 19, 2023 3:38 PM

I saw Liam Neeson on the street in NYC. The man is huge, like a Sasquatch.

I saw Kevin Bacon on the street in NYC, The man is thin as hell, like a scarecrow.

by Anonymousreply 121March 19, 2023 3:46 PM

I stood behind quarterback Dan Marino in the Pittsburgh airport once. He was very handsome wearing a brown leather jacket. He’s quite tall so my face came to about the middle of his back, which was very broad and muscular. It was thrilling at the time.

by Anonymousreply 122March 19, 2023 4:00 PM

I used to be a bartender at a hotel, and Vivica A. Fox came in with a guy late one night after an event. He ordered a drink for himself and a house red for her, so I turned to her and asked if she preferred cab or merlot. She gave me the DIRTIEST look, like, how dare I address her directly, and flounced off to a table without answering. The guy said, 'Just give her red, whatever...' and didn't leave a tip (they ordered four rounds, and no tip each time). They also complained that someone else came in and sat at a table near them and tried to get me to make them move. The other guests didn’t even try to approach her or anything — she was just mad that they dared to sit at a neighboring table.

by Anonymousreply 123March 19, 2023 4:00 PM

I was buying bagels on University Place in NYC after walking my dog one Sunday morning. Holly Hunter and her two little kids were out front of the bagel shop and I said “Do you mind if I tie my dog here while I’m inside?” Holly said, with a very strong, southern accent, “Go for it!”

by Anonymousreply 124March 19, 2023 4:09 PM

[R61] Andy Williams was downright rude for no reason at all to me and my customers who only said a few words to him (they were fans of his and congratulated him on his music degree - no one asked for an autograph) . He was very snarky and put-off, to say the least.

Dominick Dunne - whom I was a fan of and read all his books, acted rather bothered and aloof. All I said to him was that it was nice to see him in my store, and I had read all of his books as I enjoyed his writing. He did an eye roll to me, and didn't acknowledge the compliment.

"I'm in a hurry", he said. "Just ring me up."

I then apologized for wasting fifteen seconds of his time. He rolled his eyes again and left with his purchase.

by Anonymousreply 125March 19, 2023 4:11 PM

I find it odd that a manager or a supervisor doesn't follow them out and say were you unhappy with your service you left no tip.

by Anonymousreply 126March 19, 2023 4:13 PM

My ex and I shared a 4-top in the upstairs bar at Woody's in Philly with Graham Norton and his very attractive companion. He was a total cunt, and I think he was pissed that no one was paying any attention to him. 15ish years ago.

by Anonymousreply 127March 19, 2023 4:22 PM

R123 - I'm sitting here thinking, 'Who TF is Vivica Fox?'

by Anonymousreply 128March 19, 2023 4:23 PM

R128 the stripper girlfriend of Will Smith in Independence Day

She does that black acting technique where she overacts by pursing her lips and cranking her neck constantly

by Anonymousreply 129March 19, 2023 4:25 PM

I love Vivica A. Fox.

by Anonymousreply 130March 19, 2023 4:26 PM

Three hours reading the paper? Be more interesting, David Duchovny! Your job is to entrance the OP!

by Anonymousreply 131March 19, 2023 4:29 PM

Carrot Top at the Dallas Cowboys Club at DFW (basically just a bar/restaurant). Sat next to him at the bar. Nice enough. I asked him how his show was going in Las Vegas and he said fine. We watched football after that for about an hour until I left.

by Anonymousreply 132March 19, 2023 4:34 PM

I met Lynn Redgrave when she did a play in West Hartford at St. Joseph's College. Stunning up close, very warm and unaffected. Not boring, just pleasant. She signed my playbill and I was in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 133March 19, 2023 4:37 PM

R131 I must have missed the part where I said I had a problem with it. He can live his life! My point is that celebs are normal people and meeting a famous isn't that great, usually.

by Anonymousreply 134March 19, 2023 4:38 PM

I saw Vincent D'Onofrio at Duane Reade pharmacy early one morning before work. He was hanging over the counter talking to a pharmacist, looking very rough and homeless looking. I was walking around the aisles and he looked over a few times while I pretended not to notice him. At the time he was starring in Law and Order, Criminal Intent, and this would have been around 2002/3.

by Anonymousreply 135March 19, 2023 4:39 PM

I once rang up Brad Pitt's order back in the 1990s. He definitely had that Golden Boy aura, like a ray of sunshine lighting up the room. He was very affable and had that laid back SoCal vibe. His then girlfriend, Gwynnie, OTOH, was an ice princess, who barely uttered a word and could only manage a smirk whenever he'd say something to her. I think she was just bored being there. They had matching hairstyles and looked more like brother and sister then a romantic twosome.

by Anonymousreply 136March 19, 2023 4:39 PM

Some people have very active fantasies!

by Anonymousreply 137March 19, 2023 4:40 PM

I'm impressed with anyone who can daydream up a fake story about seeing a B-list celebrity of the past in a store for two minutes. That takes creativity.

by Anonymousreply 138March 19, 2023 4:46 PM

Pitt and Paltrow were like matching Bratz dolls back then, comical.

by Anonymousreply 139March 19, 2023 4:46 PM

I once saw Neil Tennant waiting for a train at King's Cross Station. I don't know whether or not he was planning to rendezvous with Cate Blanchett on board.

by Anonymousreply 140March 19, 2023 4:57 PM

I got off a bus in Westminster once and was seriously cruised by Michael Portillo.

by Anonymousreply 141March 19, 2023 4:59 PM

If that insufferable Jamie Lee Curtis said that to me at R113, I’d have responded, “Sir, you must be mistaken — I have no idea who you are!”

by Anonymousreply 142March 19, 2023 4:59 PM

I've never met a celeb.

by Anonymousreply 143March 19, 2023 5:08 PM

You're not missing out on anything.

by Anonymousreply 144March 19, 2023 5:11 PM

My dad used to go over to Fess Parker's house in Santa Barbara and play tennis with him. I always had to sit in the car and I never even saw Fess or his house.

by Anonymousreply 145March 19, 2023 5:18 PM

It can't get more boring than a little old lady sorting merchandise behind the counter of her family's import store. I saw her several times at Toguri Imports on Belmont in Chicago in the mid-nineties. She was around 80 then.

by Anonymousreply 146March 19, 2023 5:20 PM

^Oh, shit! I left out that it was Tokyo Rose at r146.

by Anonymousreply 147March 19, 2023 5:22 PM

Most celebrity encounters are boring ! It’s like - oh, I saw so and so on a street, or at a restaurant - I live mostly in New York but also go to LA a ton for my work so I have a billion and one stories like that . Do you guys actually want to hear them?

The most “interesting “ thing I can consistently say is I work events and 90 something percent of them all smoke but take pains to make sure it’s not caught on camera. Obviously 30 something years ago I assume no one tried to hide that.

by Anonymousreply 148March 19, 2023 5:33 PM

I once screamed, "Show us your tits!" at Brandon Routh at a pop culture convention. Does that count?

R113, the least she could have done is offered you a strawberry Activia.

by Anonymousreply 149March 19, 2023 5:33 PM

R119 Who?

by Anonymousreply 150March 19, 2023 5:35 PM

R148 Hit us with your most boring one. I want to be underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 151March 19, 2023 5:38 PM

R148 lots of upper crust people still smoke real cigarettes, only now it’s hidden like a dirty secret. Vaping is for common trash.

Tell us about some of the closet smokers. Who?

by Anonymousreply 152March 19, 2023 5:39 PM

Jennifer Aniston for sure.

by Anonymousreply 153March 19, 2023 5:40 PM

[quote] I was in a theatre foyer after a show and a legendary actress was standing talking to someone in front of me. Our eyes locked and the person she was talking to walked away. She gave me a smile as if to stay approach but just then someone else jumped in between us and started talking to her. The legend looked at me with regret.

R76, why can't you just name names? This is ridiculous. We're talking about boring stories, not salacious stories. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 154March 19, 2023 5:44 PM

Back in the early 1990s as a server, I waited on tv exec Brandon Tartikoff of NBC (all business, no chit chat), actor Charles S. Dutton (cool), playwright Wendy Wasserstein (snotty and rude), John Ritter (very friendly and silly in person), Master P (didn't know who he was, but mostly black kitchen staff informed me later), and Chuck Norris (short and nary a word)...

by Anonymousreply 155March 19, 2023 5:52 PM

[quote] I sat next to Jamie Lee Curtis in first class on a flight. she had the window seat, was wearing a baseball hat and sunglasses. She turned to me once everyone boarded and said, "I know you know who I am, but I am really trying to get some rest on this flight so nice to meet you but please don't bother me." I smiled politely and went back to my book.

What a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 156March 19, 2023 5:55 PM

[quote] lots of upper crust people still smoke real cigarettes, only now it’s hidden like a dirty secret.

As it should be. I would hesitate to call anyone who smokes cigarettes "upper crust". By its nature smoking is trashy and low.

by Anonymousreply 157March 19, 2023 5:58 PM

R123, that's a disappointing story about Vivica Fox because she seems like a cool lady. I've worked in bars before and to not tip after 4 rounds of drinks is plain rude and low class.

by Anonymousreply 158March 19, 2023 5:59 PM

R156 there is also a YouTube clip of her and Janet Leigh on Donahue and there were a ton of negative comments on her - being rude to staff or anyone who “wasn’t important,” etc. Unless all the comments are DLers, I’m gonna assume she’s an insufferable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 159March 19, 2023 5:59 PM

R157 so is sex and booze but people are still going at it

by Anonymousreply 160March 19, 2023 6:02 PM

R148 / Xennial, I'd be happy to hear any and all of the anecdotes you can remember.

by Anonymousreply 161March 19, 2023 6:05 PM

I was entering restroom and I held the door open for an exiting Russell Tovey, so I missed seeing his dick.

by Anonymousreply 162March 19, 2023 6:08 PM

Hotel Bel Air, Mother’s Day. I’m taking my mom to brunch. As we’re walking in, a pretty black lady in a big hat says “you two look fabulous! Enjoy your special day.” When she smiles, I register that it is none other than Ms Diana Ross, who is waiting for her car with several of her kids.

I know she’s a notorious diva, but she made our day.

by Anonymousreply 163March 19, 2023 6:14 PM

In the mid 2000s I saw Tom Selleck walking down the street in Halifax, NS. He was filming the Jesse Stone movies at the time. He was tall, dressed casually in jeans, plaid shirt and vest, and the clothes looked great on him. He was with a shorter man. I went into a popular candy store and he came in, up close he was really tall, and handsome.

by Anonymousreply 164March 19, 2023 6:16 PM

I once saw Meryl Streep shoveling snow in front of her old townhouse on 12th St., near 5th Avenue. I’m not sure where her husband or son were but she didn’t look thrilled to be doing the job.

by Anonymousreply 165March 19, 2023 6:20 PM

I am aghast that Meryl Streep doesn't enjoy shoveling snow.

by Anonymousreply 166March 19, 2023 6:40 PM

R48, sorry that was a typo -- I meant plugs -- plugs around the crown of his head. All along his forehead's hairline, Bono had super-obvious plugs with sprouting, uniformly-spaced stalks of hair popping out of his head. I remember thinking, "You're richer than God -- you couldn't find a better hair guy? This was around 2005 and plug technology, I thought, had improved.

by Anonymousreply 167March 19, 2023 7:36 PM

I met Jake Gyllenhall in the Forth Worth first class lounge. He was reading Newsweek. I went right up to him and said I was a big fan, eyeballing him. He took this to be a grievous insult and replied, without looking up, “Move along, faggot.”

by Anonymousreply 168March 19, 2023 7:46 PM

R168 That's not boring! 😲

by Anonymousreply 169March 19, 2023 8:23 PM

You know how people say they would never date the type of person who claps when the plane lands or sings 'Happy Birthday' to strangers in restaurants? Well I would never date (maybe even fuck) someone that consistently approached celebrities in the wild to tell them how big a fan they were. It just signals a kind of entitlement and lack of self-awareness (not to mention a creepy propensity for parasocial relationships) that I have to believe would bleed over into other aspects of their personality. I believe these to be the same kinds of people that publicly and dramatically mourn the deaths of celebrities on social media for weeks or months.

by Anonymousreply 170March 19, 2023 8:51 PM

I agree. Under most circumstances. If you are at an awards show, charity event or party, I have no issue.

by Anonymousreply 171March 19, 2023 8:55 PM

I sat beside Matthew Mconnaughey in an airport. It was about 10 years ago. I wanted to say hi, but couodnt think of a movie of his I liked and couldn't lie in case he got into a chat about it..and I just couldn't think of any other introduction that I'm a big fan...but I wasnt, so we sat like the strangers we were for about 10 mins. He was very normal and not a bit showbiz and kind of upbeat.

by Anonymousreply 172March 19, 2023 8:57 PM

I fetched a bottle of water for Janis Ian at a music festival when she couldn't find a volunteer to get one for her. No drama, she just said "thank you".

I saw Topol at a store where I was employed during the 90s. The woman he was with did all the talking while he just kind of stared off into space.

One of the biggest jackasses I ever waited on was a local weatherman, who was such a staple when I was growing up and looked so familiar, at first I thought he was a relative. When I gave him the total for his order, he said, "$6.66... that's appropriate, since I'M THE DEVIL." Then he Just stood there staring at me. I didn't want to encourage him, so I just said, "That's nice. Have a good day."

by Anonymousreply 173March 19, 2023 9:05 PM

[quote]Walked into a Starbucks and saw Michelle Pfeiffer standing at the entrance, holding a coffee cup, talking to someone. She was wearing a ball cap and a track suit (circa Juicy Couture days). For some reason, I looked down at her feet and she had very nicely-kept feet. IIRC, a light pink / nude-ish color of nail polish. [italic]Her demeanor was very low-key[/italic].

As opposed to what, R21? Running around, flailing her arms about?

by Anonymousreply 174March 19, 2023 9:15 PM

R173 The response "have a nice day" to I'M THE DEVIL has had me laughing for ten minutes and I don't even know why. Why are weatherman always so weird?

by Anonymousreply 175March 19, 2023 9:16 PM

[quote]I sat next to Jamie Lee Curtis in first class on a flight. she had the window seat, was wearing a baseball hat and sunglasses. She turned to me once everyone boarded and said, "I know you know who I am, but I am really trying to get some rest on this flight so nice to meet you but please don't bother me." I smiled politely and went back to my book.

Hi, Angie!

by Anonymousreply 176March 19, 2023 9:18 PM

R147, her real name was Iva Toguri. In the fall of 1977, I went to her store specifically so that I could buy my first futon for my then boyfriend and me to sleep on. I was new to Chicago and I think that was the only place I knew of that might sell futons.

by Anonymousreply 177March 19, 2023 9:33 PM

I rode in an elevator in the UN Plaza hotel with Jim Nabors in 1986. I was covering the press event being held there for the NBC fall lineup, and he was there promoting some dumb sitcom. It was crowded in the elevator and I had to stand close to him. He was with another older guy and they seemed uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 178March 19, 2023 9:33 PM

OP,was there the paper upside down? I wonder if he can read?.😂

by Anonymousreply 179March 19, 2023 11:15 PM

Actor Joe Pantoliano came in my store back in the early 2000s (around the same time as Rob Schneider). He was working on a television show where parts were being filmed in the neighborhood. He was very nice, but very queeny and dramatic. He was with a very cute younger guy and he talked to him non-stop as he shopped. The poor young stud looked so bored - like he was being held prisoner. Not sure if the young stud was an actor, crew member, or his boy-toy. I think JP was a little upset that no one in the store approached him or recognized him while he was prancing around. ( I acknowledged him very quietly when he first came in and asked for help with something).

by Anonymousreply 180March 20, 2023 12:56 AM

I used to shop at a tiny storefront south of Herald Square on Broadway.... that only carried pre recorded cassette tapes, remainders, or cutouts no less......!

....and Barry Manilow's mother came in. She didn't come to shop, she just wanted to go on and on about Barry to me,

I guess I looked like a Barry Mailow fan circa 1978.

Barry Manilows mother, I kid you not. Going on and on about Barry.

by Anonymousreply 181March 20, 2023 1:03 AM

Exchanged small talk with Brooke Shields while there was a very long line at this SoHo coffee shop a few years ago.

She’s extremely tall for a woman (my height, solidly 6 foot) but other than that, a typical NYC frauen.

by Anonymousreply 182March 20, 2023 1:11 AM

I saw Goodie Proctor dancing with the devil after midnight once.

by Anonymousreply 183March 20, 2023 1:14 AM

R181 WOW! So unusual for a "Jewish Mother". They're usually very humble about their successful kids.

A friend of mine lived in NY in the late 70s - early 90s, and worked for a very popular florist outside of NYC, in NJ. His artistry was beautiful (according to her) and being outside NYC, his prices were more reasonable. My friend took all the phone orders and walk-in orders / customers while the owner did the arrangements.

One frequent caller was none other than Barbra Streisand. Anytime she needed flowers sent to someone in NYC for birthdays, get-well bouquets, funerals, holidays, or events (such as someone's Broadway opening) she would call this florist. My friend said she would pick up the phone and hear, "Hi Ann - it's Barbra..." in her distinctive voice, and then proceed to give her order. She said Barbra was nothing less than kind, polite and humble.

On the other hand, Mary Tyler Moore was also a regular phone-order customer. The phone would ring, and she would hear someone say, "Please hold for Miss Mary Tyler Moore". A long while later, MTM would get on the phone and coldly give her order - with no apologies to how long she was tying up Ann's time leaving her 'on hold'. She was very 'icy' in her demeanor to her.

by Anonymousreply 184March 20, 2023 1:25 AM

I used to see James Carville jogging near my neighborhood - also at a neighborhood breakfast place.

by Anonymousreply 185March 20, 2023 1:35 AM

I sat next to Chloe Sevigny at the counter in a diner. I recognized her and we talked for a minute or two. Very pleasant. What surprised was what happened next, when the guy on the other side of her, who obviously had no idea who she was, started chatting her up. She was perfectly nice to him. "What brings you here?" her asked. "Oh, work," she replied. No snark or attitude, even after he kept asking her stupid questions. I was impressed.

by Anonymousreply 186March 20, 2023 1:43 AM

R58, please elaborate

by Anonymousreply 187March 20, 2023 1:56 AM

R187 I already did.

by Anonymousreply 188March 20, 2023 1:59 AM

R188, what post ?

by Anonymousreply 189March 20, 2023 2:00 AM

R125. I’m Sorry you had a disappointing encounter with D. Dunne . He’s known as being very gracious and warm to Fans . It looks like he was stressed about something

by Anonymousreply 190March 20, 2023 2:06 AM

R189 In R125

by Anonymousreply 191March 20, 2023 2:10 AM

[quote] Joe Pantoliano ... very queeny and dramatic

For those who don't know, Joe Pantoliano played Ralph Cifaretto on the Sopranos. The writers were known to bring the actors' personal lives into the scripts. James Gandolfini (Tony) got upset about it.

Anyway, I wonder if the writers sensed something odd about Joe P. His character was written as a sexual deviant.

The writers also insinuated that the Frank Vincent / Phil Leotardo character was gay.

by Anonymousreply 192March 20, 2023 2:11 AM

R189, just type "dunne" or whatever in the search bar of your phone (I'm assuming you're using a phone). A drop-down menu should appear and you can select "find on this page."

by Anonymousreply 193March 20, 2023 2:12 AM

I saw Hillary Clinton and Chelsea at Katz's Deli in NYC at 8:30 in the morning. It was the last day of my trip and I wanted a big sandwich before I flew out. They were filming something and had a lot of lighting equipment. Hilary was dressed to the nines in a eye-searingly blue suit with professional make up and hair. I thought she was a local news reporter until I walked to other side of the restaurant for water and saw Chelsea's distinctive face. When I got back to the table I said to my boyfriend "that's Hillary fucking Clinton". It was such a big distraction that I barely enjoyed my sandwich. She looks and sounds exactly the same in real life. Chelsea's hair looked very clean and smooth. Hillary had soup instead of a sandwich. That was my first celebrity sighting in NYC and I can't wait for it to happen again.

by Anonymousreply 194March 20, 2023 5:31 AM

[quote]I’m Sorry you had a disappointing encounter with D. Dunne . He’s known as being very gracious

He's also known as being dead, r190.

by Anonymousreply 195March 20, 2023 10:29 AM

R149 did Brandon say anything back?

by Anonymousreply 196March 20, 2023 10:46 AM

R181 pushy PR lol

by Anonymousreply 197March 20, 2023 10:50 AM

I worked at QVC and would see Joan Rivers every now and then in the halls. Most celebs would stay away from the common areas, but Joan would be in there for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 198March 20, 2023 10:54 AM

R33 Mmmmm Shawn Penn was so gorge.

by Anonymousreply 199March 20, 2023 11:19 AM

Henry Winkler sat next to my elderly mother at a banquet and absolutely charmed her. She said he's very erudite and well read, but not pretentious. My mother adores you, Henry Winkler!

by Anonymousreply 200March 20, 2023 12:01 PM

Henry Winkler well read? He's dyslexic

by Anonymousreply 201March 20, 2023 12:03 PM

R201 Word from my mother. Maybe he listens to audiobooks, I never met him.

by Anonymousreply 202March 20, 2023 12:15 PM

I know of someone else's close encounter with Cate B. She filmed a scene at a restaurant Maury's Tiny Cove in Cheviot, Ohio, and the management fed her the menu. She adored the potato skins, and their oversize flown in from NYC dill pickles, served as an appetizer. She apparently left with several helpings. She had to negotiate a treacherous narrow staircase, and had assistants go before and behind her and joked about literally breaking a leg. Everyone LOVED her. She was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 203March 20, 2023 12:19 PM

Cate Blanchett ordered potato skins one time! 🤩

by Anonymousreply 204March 20, 2023 12:22 PM

But seriously, I don't know why it's so hilarious to me, but I love how pointless all of these stories are. I'm cracking up at this thread so much.

by Anonymousreply 205March 20, 2023 12:23 PM

Really OP? He was a boring celebrity? That’s shocking!

by Anonymousreply 206March 20, 2023 12:34 PM

R205 No doubt ur snatch is boring and empty since the Nixon admin.

by Anonymousreply 207March 20, 2023 12:36 PM

Valentine's Day 2020 I saw Johnny Marr in Soho. I smiled, but didn't chat to him as it was raining and he didn't have an umbrella.

by Anonymousreply 208March 20, 2023 12:40 PM

When I worked in a second hand record shop in Camden I once served Noel Gallagher. I can't remember what he bought, but he paid in cash.

by Anonymousreply 209March 20, 2023 12:42 PM

R181 Maybe she was just a Barry Manilow stalker?

by Anonymousreply 210March 20, 2023 2:06 PM

I crossed 6th avenue with Sally Field. She was very tiny, and wore a track suit. She was nice.

by Anonymousreply 211March 20, 2023 2:15 PM

R210.......this is my memory of what she looked like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 20, 2023 4:03 PM

R285 in this thread hired Jack Dixon to fuck him, but Jack couldn't stay hard.

Jack may be celeb-adjacent only. But it sounds like a really boring encounter in any event.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 20, 2023 4:08 PM

[quote] Henry Winkler sat next to my elderly mother at a banquet and absolutely charmed her. She said he's very erudite and well read, but not pretentious. My mother adores you, Henry Winkler!

Henry Winkler has an MFA from Yale.

by Anonymousreply 214March 20, 2023 6:13 PM

Ok. But it's in acting one presumes.

by Anonymousreply 215March 20, 2023 6:23 PM

I once read a series of threads about meeting Cate Blanchett on public transit.

by Anonymousreply 216March 20, 2023 6:28 PM

R196 Sorry, I was kidding about that. I am actually a huge fan and would never do anything so disrespectful -- I'd just think about it!

I'm flattered, though, that my little fib inspired a new thread. Neat!

by Anonymousreply 217March 20, 2023 7:03 PM

In the late 80's saw Martin Sheen in the Plaza Hotel. I was with a friend, soaking wet, and it was raining cats and dogs. He smiled and said hello in an avuncular, non-threatening way. He was still pretty cute at this stage, but no longer the hottie of Badlands or even Apocalypse Now.

by Anonymousreply 218March 20, 2023 9:53 PM

^ I think he was buying cigarettes but could be mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 219March 20, 2023 9:54 PM

I waited on James Coburn in the 90's and although an old guy he was still fit and handsome. He was also polite and his wife/gf/date was gorgeous and age-appropriate (within 20 years.)

by Anonymousreply 220March 20, 2023 9:59 PM

When I was at the Millennium Hotel in Times Square, I shared an elevator up to my floor with Jai Rodriguez, one of the hosts of the original 'Queer Eye'. He was my favorite of all the hosts.

In person, he was very short and slim, but cute. A 'pocket gay' in every sense of the word. I said hello and he responded kindly, and I could tell he wasn't interested in chit-chat.

by Anonymousreply 221March 20, 2023 10:05 PM

When I worked p/t for Macy's in the early 90's, we let Roseanne Barr and her kids come in after we closed to shop. She was more attractive in person and looked like any other UMC soccer mom. She was sedate and not "on."

by Anonymousreply 222March 20, 2023 10:21 PM

Hugh Jackman lived blocks away from me in the West Village. He was known to be very cordial to neighbors. Would see him and his wife often walking dogs and had several pleasant encounters. Now he's moved a bit north, probably being agreeable there as well.

by Anonymousreply 223March 20, 2023 10:23 PM

I took a crap in the same restroom as Jean Dixon in June 1980. She was whispering to herself. I tried hard to make out what she was saying. After a couple of minutes I could hear her saying “I’ve got to get the fuck out of this toilet. That bitch must have pinched off a 20 pounder. Goddamn it smells ungodly!

by Anonymousreply 224March 20, 2023 10:29 PM

[quote] Years ago, Joseph Cotton

It's Cotten, dearie.

by Anonymousreply 225March 20, 2023 10:29 PM

I've written about this before, but during one stay, I used to share the hot tub at the Sunset Marquis in WeHo most mornings with Roy Scheider and what seemed like the only copy of the NY Times at the hotel.

We never said much, just pleasantries and stuff like, "Are you done with the financial section?"

by Anonymousreply 226March 20, 2023 10:29 PM

One time I waited on Grassle. I forgot about it for 30 yrs until a few minutes ago.

by Anonymousreply 227March 20, 2023 10:30 PM

One of my favorite celeb encounters—I hope it's true—happened on a shuttle flight to DC (no seat assignments) when a guy started to sit next to Diane Sawyer. As soon as she saw him approaching, she "accidentally" dumped her coffee on the seat to force him to move along.

by Anonymousreply 228March 20, 2023 10:42 PM

R227 Chuck Grassley? The senator?

by Anonymousreply 229March 21, 2023 10:48 AM

R62 The thought that Richard Branson would be socially incurious on a ski lift.

by Anonymousreply 230March 21, 2023 10:50 AM

Karen Grassle? Little House on the Prarie?

by Anonymousreply 231March 21, 2023 12:25 PM

Please, just Grassle. We all know her.

by Anonymousreply 232March 21, 2023 12:30 PM

About seven years ago I saw one of the Keno brothers (the antiques/Antiques Roadshow fellows) in the Atlanta airport. I am sorry I cannot tell you which one, because I can't tell Leigh and Leslie apart. I was walking in the middle of the concourse toward my connecting gate. He was standing up in a little hotdog place that used to be there, eating a hotdog. Links Grill? I remember thinking it was odd to see someone who seems to be so tasteful having a humble hotdog. I had actually had a hotdog in the same place about a year earlier when I was desperate for a bite to eat and I was in a hurry.

by Anonymousreply 233March 21, 2023 12:48 PM

R219 OMFG that anecdote practically makes you a god. You go, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 234March 21, 2023 1:36 PM

In a Manhattan Woolworth’s with my mother decades ago, she spotted actor Jack Warden and immediately went up to him to say she liked his acting. He said a quick thank you and then “Do you know where the shower curtains are?”

I miss my mother (and also Woolworth’s)

by Anonymousreply 235March 21, 2023 2:14 PM

R223, we had a temporary doorman who liked to brag that he had worked in the building downtown where Jackman and his family lived. He said they were very nice and cordial, tipped well, no dirt. It was also where La Kidman and Keith Urban’s wig lived. He said Keith was very nice and Kidman was “polite”. Try as I might, I couldn’t get anything more out of him about the shade of lavender of those marriages. But he genuinely seemed to have a very good opinion of Jackman.

by Anonymousreply 236March 21, 2023 2:27 PM

Hugh Jackman is one of the few huge celebrities you never hear a bad word about. I remember reading after he finished in”The Boy From Oz” someone connected with the show said every man, woman and dog in the production fell in love with him.

by Anonymousreply 237March 21, 2023 2:32 PM

I’ve seen many celebs on the streets of Manhattan, behaving as totally normal people. One time I smiled and nodded at Frances McDormand because I saw her and she looked vaguely familiar, maybe some frau I used to work with on a committee or something. She responded in kind and only later did I place the face.

Tony Bennett on W 57th, very graciously chatting with a gushing old lady who approached for an autograph. He seemed genuinely happy to stop and make her happy. Class act.

by Anonymousreply 238March 21, 2023 2:33 PM

I saw Robert Osborne close by the Time Warner Center a couple of times. Once was during the summertime and he was casually dressed in shorts. It was funny to see him wearing something so informal; was so used to seeing him in formal suits on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 239March 21, 2023 2:38 PM

Matthew McConaughey once called me a "fucking dolt" outside the Chateau Marmont. It was late and he and three friends were outside the back door (which required a separate key) and too lazy (or too stoned) to go the front entrance. I didn't recognize him and wasn't about to let three strangers onto the hotel grounds. Once he insulted me, I realized who he was and opened the gate. Later, I saw MM and one of his pals urinating outside their bungalow. Classy.

Note: Excuse the humblebrag. I was lucky enough to stay in great hotels through my former job. Now it's Days Inn for me.

by Anonymousreply 240March 21, 2023 2:55 PM

Days Inn? You provincial sad cooze.

by Anonymousreply 241March 21, 2023 3:25 PM

R229 Karen Grassle, fool!

by Anonymousreply 242March 21, 2023 3:29 PM

Robert Redford next to me at a urinal off-Broadway; surprisingly short, and, no, I didn't see dick.

by Anonymousreply 243March 21, 2023 3:29 PM

R231 Grassle! Grassle!

KAREN GRASSLE!!

by Anonymousreply 244March 21, 2023 3:30 PM

Ethan Hawke at coffee house on sunset in WeHo . Very quiet and gave off a kind energy

by Anonymousreply 245March 21, 2023 3:35 PM

How many faces has Matthew Mconnaughey gone through? To me he looks quite different than he did in the past.

by Anonymousreply 246March 21, 2023 3:37 PM

I was behind Rachel McAdams at a Gelsons in Studio City several years ago. She smiled at me and was quite demure . Around 5’4

by Anonymousreply 247March 21, 2023 3:41 PM

Two from London.

Joan Rivers walked past as we were having drinks at the Ritz.

I saw Carson from Downton in a shop on Cecil Court. He was giving off please don't vibe and it was easy to because it was just Carson from Downton.

by Anonymousreply 248March 21, 2023 3:43 PM

R168, are you sure it wasn't Matt Damon?

by Anonymousreply 249March 21, 2023 3:44 PM

R204, they have a dining car on Sydney public transit? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 250March 21, 2023 3:44 PM

Decades ago (obviously), I sat next to Gwen Verdon, flying from London to NYC. She took her shoes off right away and tucked her legs under her butt, in a sort of kneeling manner, shifting occasionally to the other side. She seemed quite elderly and yet quite athletic. We didn't say a word to one another, but she was charming and warm when she spoke to the FAs.

by Anonymousreply 251March 21, 2023 3:49 PM

I saw Stevie Wonder in LA. He didn't see me.

by Anonymousreply 252March 21, 2023 3:52 PM

I met Craig T Nelson in Hancock Park . He was so sweet and humble . Good looking too

by Anonymousreply 253March 21, 2023 4:01 PM

I seem to recognize people on the M104. Once it was raining and an older woman got on - soaking wet - and she took off her hat and it was Bret Somers. She was impressed I recognized her. The other one was Marian Seldes, who boarded on Broadway somewhere in the 60s - she was dressed head to toe in an acid wash ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 254March 21, 2023 4:06 PM

R224 is LOL

by Anonymousreply 255March 21, 2023 5:22 PM

At a Pink Floyd concert in the 80s I sat behind Toni Tennille. Some smart ass sitting in front of her turns around just before the concert started and says “what are YOU doing here”? Toni clapped back “Ah turn around, bitch”.

by Anonymousreply 256March 21, 2023 6:10 PM

Toni Tenille sang backup on The Wall, so it's not weird that she would have been at a concert of theirs soon after (I'm explaining it to the dolt who challenged her just as if he could somehow hear me).

by Anonymousreply 257March 21, 2023 6:30 PM

[quote] I saw Carson from Downton in a shop on Cecil Court. He was giving off please don't vibe and it was easy to because it was just Carson from Downton.

Sounds just like his character, haughty and he only works in a shop.

by Anonymousreply 258March 21, 2023 6:39 PM

Peed next to Denzel @ Kiss of the Spider Woman way back. I did not look.

by Anonymousreply 259March 21, 2023 7:04 PM

I saw Martin Short on an escalator once.

by Anonymousreply 260March 21, 2023 7:05 PM

I blew Richard Speck.

by Anonymousreply 261March 21, 2023 9:59 PM

Last month online, I sold a vinyl copy of The Odd Couple Sings to Tony Randall's widow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262March 21, 2023 11:47 PM

R261, that was boring?

by Anonymousreply 263March 22, 2023 12:09 AM

Maurgaux Hemingway was really sweet to everyone in line while waiting for a cab (pre-Uber).

by Anonymousreply 264March 22, 2023 12:22 AM

I told Lily Tomlin that I saw "Lily on Her Way to Broadway" and she kissed me on the cheek.

by Anonymousreply 265March 22, 2023 12:25 AM

I saw Philip Glass in a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 266March 22, 2023 4:35 AM

Was he discordant, R266?

by Anonymousreply 267March 22, 2023 4:38 AM

R267 He was positively pulsating.

by Anonymousreply 268March 22, 2023 4:50 AM

I saw the blonde Vikki from One Life To Live at Tavern on The Green in July 1988, conspiring with Aggie Nixon to remove me from the group picture.

by Anonymousreply 269March 22, 2023 8:30 AM

R113 Haha! I love Jamie Lee Curtis for that! Direct, correct, but not overly dramatic or rude. She is so good at being a star. Glad she has an Oscar. If you see a celebrity, but don't have any specific reason to interact, leave them be. Nothing worse than when people won't let you discreetly sleep, eat, or go to the bathroom in peace.

by Anonymousreply 270March 22, 2023 9:21 AM

Met a lot of famous people, irl. All of them were either super nice, perfectly normal, or sort of blank and boring until the camera was on. Never had a star be mean to me. Then again, I have star power, so they like me.

by Anonymousreply 271March 22, 2023 9:26 AM

R252 Stevia Wonder bread is known to be a homosexualist. I wonder how he gets sex.

by Anonymousreply 272March 22, 2023 10:38 AM

Why tell people you waited on a celeb at a restaurant? It seems so pointless. Like everyone else, I'm sure they want to dine or get their coffee in peace without you gawking at them or pretending they don't exist (while they can feel you desperately wanting them to notice you). It's weird.

by Anonymousreply 273March 22, 2023 11:07 AM

R273 Because their cunts and brains are empty. Ooooooh I waited on a dead celebrity 50 years ago! I am a celebrity now.

by Anonymousreply 274March 22, 2023 11:12 AM

Thread is "Boring Celeb Encounters." This is the time and the place for that.

by Anonymousreply 275March 22, 2023 11:13 AM

I waited on Matthew McConaughey and table of other actors that I'm assuming are also notable (I vaguely recognized some of them.) I was busy and barely remember them. They were talking and laughing a lot. He left a big tip.

by Anonymousreply 276March 22, 2023 11:15 AM

R273 Are you able to decipher the title and point of this thread?

by Anonymousreply 277March 22, 2023 11:21 AM

R277 It's funny that they seem to simultaneously understand the point of the thread just fine, and yet it is also whooshing over their head at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 278March 22, 2023 11:27 AM

[quote] She said Cate was reading the entire time and didnt look bothered when she asked her questions.

Who the fuck keeps pestering a stranger with silly questions when they're trying to read? For Christ's sake, your friend sounds like an asshole. Cate should have gone all Alec Baldwin on them.

by Anonymousreply 279March 22, 2023 11:47 AM

I saw Jon Stewart on a street corner in New York about 20 years.

We were all waiting for the light to cross.

Jon was talking to a friend.

by Anonymousreply 280March 22, 2023 11:59 AM

I saw Alfred Hitchcock on an escalator in LA. It was like seeing a mythical creature.

by Anonymousreply 281March 22, 2023 12:07 PM

Was once travelling by train through France from Paris to Nice as I remember (1st class) and next to my seat accross the coulor was sitting an abandoned suitcase. As the journey progressed and no one was claiming it, my fellow passengers and I started being frantic. Finally, a woman emerged from the bar wagon and casually opened the suitcase. Who was it, but Cate Blanchett. She seemed unmindful of the stir she had caused and someone angrily asked " so it was yours ?" and she seemed a little startled. I couldn't help myself and almost shouted "you have some nerve lady" to which she snapped back "what's your problem ? did you need to be so rude ?" and I said something to the effect of " it could have been a bomb", to which she replied haughtily " I don't live in a world where there a threat every minute", and all I could find was "well, you're lucky".She grabbed her suitcase and stormed off the wagon.

by Anonymousreply 282March 22, 2023 12:13 PM

Was Cate taking the long way to Australia?

by Anonymousreply 283March 22, 2023 12:16 PM

R283 she was probably on her way to Cannes

by Anonymousreply 284March 22, 2023 12:20 PM

Cate really does enjoy her train travel.

by Anonymousreply 285March 22, 2023 12:20 PM

“You have some nerve lady”? Who are you, R282 - Bugsy Siegel?

by Anonymousreply 286March 22, 2023 12:23 PM

R286 It is funny when these mousy fraus try and be all threatening. The only thing frightening is their musty claptrap betwixt their hairy loins.

by Anonymousreply 287March 22, 2023 12:24 PM

I encountered Cate Blanchett on the train to Bergen-Belsen concentration camp. She was dressed as a Nazi officer.

by Anonymousreply 288March 22, 2023 12:25 PM

^ We told y'all she was a white devil!

by Anonymousreply 289March 22, 2023 12:27 PM

Cate Blanchett rode me for hours.

by Anonymousreply 290March 22, 2023 12:27 PM

I once saw DefeCate BlandSHIT collecting cans in the lane near my house. She said G'day mate.

by Anonymousreply 291March 22, 2023 12:35 PM

I saw Miss Blanchett on the Orient Express

by Anonymousreply 292March 22, 2023 12:41 PM

Kate and I were sharing a circuit at les bains romain-irlandais in the Engiadine. She smiled ever so briefly then pretended I didn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 293March 22, 2023 12:44 PM

When I encountered Cate Blanchett in a Pullman car on the way to Frisco, she was very dainty and well-mannered. She stuck to her embroidery and a worn copy of Woman's Home Companion.

by Anonymousreply 294March 22, 2023 12:46 PM

I forgot to mention which Kate. Moss.

by Anonymousreply 295March 22, 2023 12:49 PM

I walked past Bonnie Raitt on the sidewalk once.

by Anonymousreply 296March 22, 2023 1:04 PM

Was she incredible, R296?

by Anonymousreply 297March 22, 2023 1:05 PM

R168 Fort Worth? Was it the First Class Lounge in a barn?

by Anonymousreply 298March 22, 2023 1:11 PM

R296 Did she give you sumthin to talk about?

by Anonymousreply 299March 22, 2023 1:13 PM

I sat behind Tom Waits at a Rickie Lee Jones concert. He was speaking to someone next to him (before it started) and the voice was unmistakeable.

by Anonymousreply 300March 22, 2023 2:09 PM

[quote] Was once travelling by train through France from Paris to Nice as I remember (1st class) and next to my seat accross the coulor was sitting an abandoned suitcase.

What is a "coulor"?

by Anonymousreply 301March 22, 2023 7:29 PM

Probably "couloir", French for the gangway/aisle on a train carriage.

by Anonymousreply 302March 22, 2023 7:33 PM

It sucks, I love it! Thank you R280.

by Anonymousreply 303March 22, 2023 8:36 PM

I saw Larry King on Fifth Avenue early one January morning about 20 years ago standing on the corner of 55th Street by the St Regis wearing a sports jacket with a silk scarf wrapped over his mouth and around the back of his head. He was just standing there. I didn't say anything and if I had, he probably couldn't have said much back, given that he was wrapped in a scarf.

This was long before COVID and it was about 5 degrees outside that day. Maybe he was protecting his voice?

by Anonymousreply 304March 23, 2023 12:27 AM

Protecting your eyes!

by Anonymousreply 305March 23, 2023 1:59 AM

I once served breakfast to the members of Anthrax back in the late 1980s. One of them ordered oatmeal.

by Anonymousreply 306March 23, 2023 3:00 AM

R280, that was very boring, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 307March 23, 2023 3:29 AM

He tipped his hat and took a seat. He said he hoped he hadn't stepped upon my feet. He asked my name, I held my breath. I couldn't speak because he scared me half to death. Buzz, buzz, buzz went the buzzer. Flop, flop, flop went the wheels. Stop, stop, stop went my heartstrings. As he started to leave I took hold of his sleeve with my hand. Imagine my embarrassment when it turned out to be Cate Blanchett.

by Anonymousreply 308March 23, 2023 3:33 AM

Embarraschment!

by Anonymousreply 309March 23, 2023 3:33 AM

And it wasn't even on a train.

by Anonymousreply 310March 23, 2023 3:34 AM

In all seriousness, when I've seen her on Graham Norton, she seems so constipated and a little grand, like she doesn't know how to have fun and will be afraid that Graham knows some horrible secret about her. I'll bet she'd be a boring or at least uncomfortable meet in real life.

by Anonymousreply 311March 23, 2023 3:36 AM

[quote] I would hesitate to call anyone who smokes cigarettes "upper crust". By its nature smoking is trashy and low.

Fuck you, peasant.

by Anonymousreply 312March 23, 2023 3:43 AM

A dozen years ago I walked past Graham Norton one night on 7th Ave near his studio and said “I love your show” as I went by. He said “Cheers, Mate!”

by Anonymousreply 313March 23, 2023 4:28 AM

Around 1995 I sat directly across from Marilu Henner at a gate at LAX. She was reading a script. A 40ish guy tried to chat her up, and she shut him down quickly with a barely polite smile.

I’m sure she can corroborate all of this.

by Anonymousreply 314March 23, 2023 4:31 AM

I shared an elevator once here in LA with Larry David. He looked like he had no muscle tone at all, as if his entire body had been carved out of jello. He did say hi to me though.

by Anonymousreply 315March 23, 2023 5:03 AM

Maybe 20-25 years ago, when I was living in the West Village, I was walking down W. 4th Street when I saw a woman coming in the other direction. I looked at her thinking I might know her, but couldn't place it. As we passed, I realized it was Winona Ryder. She glanced at me and immediately turned away, covering the nearer side of her face. LOL. I wish I had noticeably checked for my wallet as walked by.

Also, another time, on W 10th Street and Bleecker, I stopped into my favorite deli shop and saw Gwyneth Paltrow being an absolute bitch to the guy behind the counter (who I knew as a nice guy) before rushing out into a waiting taxi. She was buying cigarettes, and clearly having a nicotine withdrawal hissy fit.

by Anonymousreply 316March 23, 2023 12:16 PM

R315 Those types are fucked up. I once had sex w this dude years ago and he had zero muscle tone. Chicken legs like Meghan. Fuck it was gross. He was like a walking skeleton.

by Anonymousreply 317March 23, 2023 12:58 PM

[Quote] Chicken legs like Meghan.

????

by Anonymousreply 318March 23, 2023 1:04 PM

R318 R u a fucking retard. Meghan Markle has fucking chicken legs. Scum.

by Anonymousreply 319March 23, 2023 1:08 PM

R319 is blind and batshit.

by Anonymousreply 320March 23, 2023 1:45 PM

I saw Judith Light outside a theater in NYC back around 2012. I forget which. She had a large suitcase with her and appeared to be waiting for a taxi.

I gay gasped.

by Anonymousreply 321March 23, 2023 1:49 PM

You gay gasped at Judith Light? Judith Light???

by Anonymousreply 322March 23, 2023 2:19 PM

I used to see Ethan Hawke eating dinner with his kids all the time at my regular diner - The Chelsea Square. Apparently it was his regular diner too.

by Anonymousreply 323March 23, 2023 2:24 PM

[quote] I once had sex w this dude years ago and he had zero muscle tone. Chicken legs like Meghan. Fuck it was gross. He was like a walking skeleton.

Yet, somehow, you powered through.

by Anonymousreply 324March 23, 2023 5:26 PM

I saw Luke Perry in an elevator about ten years ago; he was friends with an actor who lived in my building. I nodded as I would to anyone else, and went about my business as any good New Yorker would do, going through the mail and getting my keys out. He was short but still handsome.

After I got out of the elevator, I fanned myself a bit. Mary.

by Anonymousreply 325March 23, 2023 6:19 PM

I saw Ian Zeiring in a store years ago, and he was cute but had almost no hair back then. He must wear a toupee now.

by Anonymousreply 326March 23, 2023 6:44 PM

I was eating Sushi in Malibu and I saw Jillian Michaels (not too much of a celeb) - laughing and yucking it up with dinner companions.

by Anonymousreply 327March 23, 2023 7:57 PM

Sushi is not a proper noun, R327.

by Anonymousreply 328March 23, 2023 8:44 PM

You don't know who she is, R328.

by Anonymousreply 329March 23, 2023 8:46 PM

I saw Pete Buck I at a Nashville show featuring bands from Athens, GA. He was leaning against a wall and drinking a beer.

by Anonymousreply 330March 23, 2023 9:20 PM

I was on a train to Monaco a few years back, it's quite slow and stops at every little town and beach, Eze, Roquebrune, whatever. the view from the window was stunning, so I didn't pay attention to my fellow passengers. When we finally reached Monaco, the woman sitting in front of me rose from her seat too fast and bumped her head on the luggage rail above her . A few people gasped at the STOMP noise so I looked up. It was Cate. Yes the Cate Blanchett. She laughed and moved on.

by Anonymousreply 331March 23, 2023 9:31 PM

R217 So that's one confirmed lie.

by Anonymousreply 332March 24, 2023 2:37 AM

My friend Julie is a real conductor.

by Anonymousreply 333March 24, 2023 2:38 AM

I farted in an elevator next to Gwyneth Paltrow, who politely fanned herself and drew helplessly on her cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 334March 24, 2023 2:42 AM

We knew she huffed farts.

by Anonymousreply 335March 24, 2023 2:45 AM

Her new GOOP candle is: This Smells Like the Farts of a Guy Who Farted Next to Me in an Elevator Once

by Anonymousreply 336March 24, 2023 3:06 AM

R336 - Will it topple her best selling candle, "My Pussy Still Smells Like Chris Martin"?

by Anonymousreply 337March 24, 2023 12:07 PM

R337 Awww yoo cunt. Funnest coment on heer yett.

by Anonymousreply 338March 24, 2023 12:15 PM

I was on the 4:50 train from Paddington when I saw Cate Blanchett through the window, on the crossing train. She was seemingly being strangled by an unidentified passenger

by Anonymousreply 339March 24, 2023 10:05 PM

For a couple of years, I lived in the West Village walkup where Wallace Shawn either lived or worked, at least some of the time. We passed each other on the stairs fairly often. Most of the residents were older Italians who probably didn't know him from Adam. I knew who he was, of course, but never let on. We always exchanged a few words of pleasant small talk. Very sweet guy.

by Anonymousreply 340March 24, 2023 10:48 PM

I walked past Rosanne Cash and her husband John Leventhal in Chelsea. They were having a disagreement about something, not raising their voices but she was obviously perturbed at him.

by Anonymousreply 341March 24, 2023 10:59 PM

That was Mindy, R339, pissed off because Kate wouldn't let her borrow the faux-leopard bag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342March 24, 2023 11:19 PM

I've seen Marisa Berenson a couple times at Gato in Marrakech

by Anonymousreply 343March 24, 2023 11:39 PM

I was reading things posted on a bulletin board inside Jan Hus Presbyterian Church, and Liza said, "Are you waiting for the bathroom?" I said no and she said, "Oh, good . . ." and headed straight into it.

by Anonymousreply 344March 25, 2023 12:07 AM

Did I schay thanksch at leascht, schweetie?

by Anonymousreply 345March 25, 2023 12:09 AM

Paltrow is a cold fish

by Anonymousreply 346March 25, 2023 2:54 AM

I saw Joan Rivers at the Whitney (when they were in the Breuer building in the UES) about a year before she died. She was being given a private tour and seemed to appreciate the art.

by Anonymousreply 347March 25, 2023 4:48 AM

Back when Hamilton transferred to Broadway, I snagged a resold ticket in orchestra left, maybe 5-6 rows from the front. Turns out President Obama was seeing it that day. LMM took a seat about 5 mins before curtains up (Javier Munoz was on), and just before the show began, Obama was ushered into his seat about a few aisles behind me in the center. Everyone had their phones out, but the show began immediately. During intermission, they kept the curtains down - later we found that Obama met and took photos w/the cast/crew on stage during at that time.

by Anonymousreply 348March 25, 2023 4:59 AM

R345 that is so funnneeeee!

by Anonymousreply 349March 25, 2023 9:53 AM

Saw Cate Blanchett at a train station in India. I had bribed my way into the last VIP ticket, as it was a 3 days journey, and she was upset that she couldn't have a VIP bunk (only a 1st class one, which is a notch lower). She was trying to talk the inspector into letting her have a VIP bunk and switch another passenger to her 1st class ticket, to no avail. As I was boarding the train, she turned to me and hissed "why do YOU get the VIP treatment ?"

by Anonymousreply 350March 25, 2023 12:04 PM

Are you ESL R350?

by Anonymousreply 351March 25, 2023 12:11 PM

are you CUNT R351 ?

by Anonymousreply 352March 25, 2023 12:16 PM

When I first moved to New York I worked at a gourmet shop near the Met Museum. Early one evening, a couple came in and I immediately recognized him as Alan Jay Lerner. He was vacant-eyed and bleary, but that didn't stop this show queen from telling him how much his work meant to me. The woman—I later learned it was his 7th wife Nina—caressed his arm and said, "See, Alan, they do remember you." He was unresponsive and the incident made me very sad.

by Anonymousreply 353March 25, 2023 12:36 PM

I used to walk on 9th Av in the 30s and 40s all the time and it was prime celebrity-spotting territory. I wouldn't call it an "encounter," but I once walked by Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, just strolling along arm in arm. He looked very frail by this point, but those blue eyes shone out every bit as well as they ever did on screen. I was suprised at how short he was. I didn't expect him to be tall, but he looked (at a glance) no taller than maybe 5'5".

by Anonymousreply 354March 25, 2023 1:23 PM

When I was a teen, I was out at dinner with my parents and as we were leaving, a man who was coming in with his date(?) held the door open for us. My father said jocularly, "Thank you, my good man. I'll remember you with a tip at Christmas." The man holding the door seemed genuinely amused and laughed at the joke. My father had no idea who the man was, but I recognized him as John Ritter.

by Anonymousreply 355March 25, 2023 1:26 PM

Best anecdote of all fucking time R355. Gotta love that twist ending. Jeesasss phuck.

by Anonymousreply 356March 25, 2023 1:33 PM

r354 I can confirm...I am that height as well, and we were the same height when I saw him in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 357March 25, 2023 3:07 PM

R355 your dad sounds like WC Fields!

by Anonymousreply 358March 25, 2023 4:43 PM

I saw Cate Blanchett in Moscow, hammering the wheels of a train with a clinking sound that gave me the creeps

by Anonymousreply 359March 25, 2023 4:46 PM

I was in New York and walked past Estelle Parsons.

by Anonymousreply 360March 25, 2023 4:47 PM

I once had cocktails with Brenda Vaccaro and Guy Hector at some press event. Lovely couple.

by Anonymousreply 361March 25, 2023 5:57 PM

I briefly met Jeanne Cooper backstage at a telethon. She seemed groovy. Jess Walton hustled her away.

by Anonymousreply 362March 25, 2023 6:01 PM

[quote] Who the fuck keeps pestering a stranger with silly questions when they're trying to read? For Christ's sake, your friend sounds like an asshole. Cate should have gone all Alec Baldwin on them.

Cate probably knew said friend knew who she was and pretending not to know .

by Anonymousreply 363March 25, 2023 6:39 PM

R186, where was that?

by Anonymousreply 364March 25, 2023 6:47 PM

I am standing at the train stop hoping to see Cate Blanchett pass by.

by Anonymousreply 365March 25, 2023 6:48 PM

I once saw Helen Lawson picking at her toenails backstage before a performance of “Who Gives a Flying Fuck II?”.

She kept mumbling about some pretentious little Australian kid on a train.

by Anonymousreply 366March 25, 2023 7:52 PM

Can Danielle's skirt be any shorter?

by Anonymousreply 367March 25, 2023 9:27 PM

^^ wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 368March 25, 2023 9:28 PM

Is Danielle a whore?

by Anonymousreply 369March 25, 2023 9:48 PM

^^ the most whorish one there is

by Anonymousreply 370March 25, 2023 10:02 PM

OP, thanks for warning is that Duchovny is a RIGHT-WINGER!!

by Anonymousreply 371March 25, 2023 10:11 PM

I was on the Pacific Surfliner going to San Diego, and at a stop in San Clemente, who gets on the train but Cate Blanchett?

I introduced myself, and she said "I'm Meridith Logue". Before I could say anything, she added "Yes, of the textile Logues".

by Anonymousreply 372March 25, 2023 10:22 PM

R371 He reads?

by Anonymousreply 373March 25, 2023 10:35 PM

A late night on the train train ride from Victoria station, I took advantage of this as an opportunity to meditate — a practice I was trying to consistently do.

Someone got on. I felt a very menacing presence next to me. So I fluttered my eyelids open and there was this terrifying looking woman who was staring down at me with a scowl on her face.

Rather than move away, I said, "Hi." At first, the woman was confused by my greeting, but it initiated the most moving conversation I've had with a human being in my life. That woman was Cate Blanchett

by Anonymousreply 374March 25, 2023 10:41 PM

The Cate transportation sightings have become a reach lately, don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 375March 25, 2023 10:45 PM

Strangers no more, R374

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376March 25, 2023 10:45 PM

R375, the Cate sighting posts are parody

by Anonymousreply 377March 25, 2023 10:49 PM

We were traveling from Los Angeles back to New York

when suddenly a blond woman jumped up and pulled the emergency brake

Conductor: Madam, did you stop this train by pulling that handle?

Cate Blanchett: Well I didn't do it by dragging my feet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378March 25, 2023 10:49 PM

R375 I don't think she was really on the train to Auschwitz.

by Anonymousreply 379March 25, 2023 10:56 PM

I met Ben Aldridge at a charity event a few years ago. He chatted for a moment to people he was introduced to, then just sort of stood there quietly until his then-boyfriend showed up like 30 minutes later to take him away.

by Anonymousreply 380March 25, 2023 11:01 PM

I used to see Tony Roberts around, sometimes. I’d say “Hey, Max…” while passing, if I was close enough for him to hear. Kind of bitchy of me, I know.

by Anonymousreply 381March 26, 2023 12:39 AM

Everyone’s face looks painful at R342 (Rihanna excluded).

by Anonymousreply 382March 26, 2023 12:40 AM

What is going on in the photo @ r342? What photoshoot was that? Oh boy Sandy B needs to go easy on the fillers. She looks plastic honey!

by Anonymousreply 383March 26, 2023 1:04 AM

I was looking to book quick passage to New York for my cousin Dalia’s wedding. I, of course, immediately queried about open seats on the Carpathia when I curiously noted an abundance of open first class seats on a new, even larger ship — the biggest and grandest ever, as I was told. I found it odd, given that it was April, the very fever pitch of wedding season everywhere (as I’m sure you’re aware).

Just as I was about to sign my name to the ledger and purchase my ticket on the new luxury liner, a beautiful woman approached me and said, “Dearest, I wouldn’t.”

The year was 1912; her name was Cate and — as you would imagine — we became fast friends!

by Anonymousreply 384March 26, 2023 1:05 AM

Seats, R384? You sit for six days crossing the Atlantic?

by Anonymousreply 385March 26, 2023 1:27 AM

I encountered Roma Downey in Santa Monica in late 90’s . She was so regal and alluring. A real feminine star . A sexier version of Audrey Hepburn

by Anonymousreply 386March 26, 2023 1:34 AM

E381 a friend of my moms got divorced in the early 90s and rented an apt for a couple years from Tony’s brother Ken Roberts. I don’t have any stories , that’s all I know, so it’s appropriately under the boring encounters thread.

Was a prewar coop so they only allow rent for two years - 86th between park and Madison, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 387March 26, 2023 1:42 AM

A lady always sits, R385.

by Anonymousreply 388March 26, 2023 1:44 AM

[QUOTE] I encountered Roma Downey in Santa Monica in late 90’s. She was so regal and alluring. A real feminine star. A sexier version of Audrey Hepburn

Roma Downey and Mark Burnett fighting dealing interest lawsuits.

Yeah, Trump more than porked her. Burnett has been mum for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 389March 26, 2023 3:41 AM

I sat next to Cate Blanchett on a train from Clapham Junction to Waterloo St. back when she was in PLENTY. That's all I've got.

by Anonymousreply 390March 26, 2023 2:19 PM

I saw five c-list actors pull a train on Cait Blanchett. She was moaning “All aboard!”

by Anonymousreply 391March 26, 2023 3:40 PM

R389, really? Ugh money corrupts some . I think her daughter is phony as fuck

by Anonymousreply 392March 26, 2023 5:28 PM

I've seen Cate Blanchett every single time I've traveled by train, and I'm not the only one. Many of my friends have as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393March 26, 2023 9:19 PM

She’s ubiquitous

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394March 26, 2023 11:13 PM

Out and about

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395March 26, 2023 11:17 PM

^The woman behind her either recognized her was lez and liked what she saw.

by Anonymousreply 396March 26, 2023 11:25 PM

I hung out with Pat Boone at a radio convention in the late 1990s. He seemed pretty chill in his toupee and leather jacket.

by Anonymousreply 397March 26, 2023 11:31 PM

Cate on the bus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398March 27, 2023 12:47 AM

Here she is again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399March 27, 2023 12:49 AM

Helen Mirren and Taylor live down the road from me in Lecce, Italy for half of the year. We often eat in the same restaurants. Usually say hello.

by Anonymousreply 400March 27, 2023 12:54 AM

She even waits for the bus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401March 27, 2023 12:55 AM

Her audition for Strangers on a Train.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402March 27, 2023 12:57 AM

She's a pro

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403March 27, 2023 12:59 AM

She is just like us

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404March 27, 2023 1:10 AM

What is this? Is she cruising on public transit?

by Anonymousreply 405March 27, 2023 1:12 AM

She’s always been a regular of public transport.

by Anonymousreply 406March 27, 2023 1:33 AM

My husband and I were standing right behind chef Curtis Stone at the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg. At my height, I'm almost eye level with his hot ass and wanted to just take a bite out of his tight Calvin Klein jeans. Good thing my husband was there or I would be in jail! Actually, maybe that wasn't so boring to me haha!

by Anonymousreply 407March 27, 2023 1:46 AM

R407, I've seen Curtis in his restaurant, and he is hot as hell.

by Anonymousreply 408March 27, 2023 1:55 AM

Even better in person than on TV :)

by Anonymousreply 409March 27, 2023 2:16 AM

That's for sure!

by Anonymousreply 410March 27, 2023 2:28 AM

[quote] My friend told me she sat next to Cate Blanchett on a train ride a few years ago. She said the entire time she pretened she didn't know who Cate was just to secretly spy on her, and asked her random questions like the time, train arrival time trivial shit like that. She said Cate was reading the entire time and didnt look bothered when she asked her questions. Said she got off the train before Cate. That's all

Is that your friend at r399?

by Anonymousreply 411March 27, 2023 2:46 AM

Poor man in R399 looks uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 412March 27, 2023 3:15 AM

That's her husband r412

by Anonymousreply 413March 27, 2023 3:26 AM

He does, R412. What are those seats: 8 inches deep? That looks like a ledge, not a seating area but it obviously is.

by Anonymousreply 414March 27, 2023 3:27 AM

R380 sounds pretty exciting for Ben

by Anonymousreply 415March 27, 2023 3:28 AM

Ron Reagan Jr and his wife Doria were regular customers at my shop...low key, super nice couple.

by Anonymousreply 416March 27, 2023 3:37 AM

R412, R413 and R414 that’s how Andrew Upton often looks - I pointed this out a couple of weeks ago and was shut down overnight by the usual DL chorus of ageing naysayers. He had a much higher profile as playwrite, screenwriter and director when he got together with his wife who was an unknown, fresh out of NIDA (National Institute of Dramatic Art) at the time.

Very nice bloke. Very low key.

by Anonymousreply 417March 27, 2023 7:21 AM

What are they naysaying? He's gay?

by Anonymousreply 418March 27, 2023 10:41 AM

r354 - I met Paul Newman once too, towards the end of his life, at a professional function. I'm barely 5'9" and I towered over him. Same thing with Richard Dreyfuss. That man is practically a leprechaun.

by Anonymousreply 419March 27, 2023 12:15 PM

Robert Redford is also quite short. That's a thing with actors, right?

by Anonymousreply 420March 27, 2023 12:19 PM

At least they're not Alan Ladd, who had to stand on phone books.

by Anonymousreply 421March 27, 2023 1:20 PM

Newman probably shrank a couple of inches toward the end of his life.

by Anonymousreply 422March 27, 2023 4:13 PM

R420 I don't know what you consider short but Redford is 5'10". 5'9" is considered average for American men - therefore Redford is AVERAGE height.

by Anonymousreply 423March 27, 2023 4:22 PM

I seen him with my own eyes. I'd say 5'7", maybe 5'8".

by Anonymousreply 424March 27, 2023 4:30 PM

Not an inch over 5'2".

by Anonymousreply 425March 27, 2023 4:33 PM

You guys make me laugh!!

by Anonymousreply 426March 27, 2023 4:36 PM

A couple years ago, I stood in line for about an hour at the mall just to hold spot for mother , to meet her Soaps people. We met and took photos with Victor Newman, Nikki Newman and Jack from Y and R

by Anonymousreply 427March 27, 2023 4:58 PM

R426, waddya mean we make you laugh? you think we're funny? Funny how? You think we're here to fuckin’ amuse you? how are we funny?

by Anonymousreply 428March 27, 2023 6:03 PM

I'm surprised at the number of Kate Blanchette sightings on the train. She acts so grand, I assumed she would see public transportation as something beneath her.

by Anonymousreply 429March 27, 2023 6:44 PM

It might be r429. I once saw Cate Blamcheyye whiz by me on a Segway in the harbor area of Sydney. Though I have no idea if she owned the Segway or was renting it.

by Anonymousreply 430March 27, 2023 7:00 PM

For R429, “acts so grand” = “knows the basics of spelling and grammar”.

by Anonymousreply 431March 27, 2023 7:02 PM

"hammering the wheels of a train with a clinking sound"

What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 432March 27, 2023 8:03 PM

R432, it was most likely written by an ESL poster. Poor thing

by Anonymousreply 433March 27, 2023 8:05 PM

I don't believe R1.

Adrien is by all accounts a low hangin' man......

by Anonymousreply 434March 27, 2023 8:18 PM

[quote] Kate Blanchette

I don't know her

by Anonymousreply 435March 27, 2023 8:18 PM

[quote] [R420] I don't know what you consider short but Redford is 5'10". 5'9" is considered average for American men - therefore Redford is AVERAGE height.

Celebrities always overstate their height. Plus, the older male celebrities have lost some height due to old age.

by Anonymousreply 436March 27, 2023 8:19 PM

When I lived/worked in Chicago I saw Roger Ebert and his wife (several times), Henry Rollins, Alanis Morissette, Morrissey, Art from Everclear, and Oprah Herselfeses once, walking down the street in April in a fur coat. (Bitch, it wasn't that cold.)

When I lived/worked in Pittsburgh I saw David Conrad, who was so fucking hot I just wanted to unzip him and sick him off right there.

by Anonymousreply 437March 27, 2023 8:20 PM

Sir Paul McCartney in the greengrocers.

Cate Blanchett in the Deli.

by Anonymousreply 438March 27, 2023 8:21 PM

Sandy Duncan.

In a wheat field.

by Anonymousreply 439March 27, 2023 8:21 PM

[quote] Cate Blanchett in the Deli.

Did she come by bus ?

by Anonymousreply 440March 27, 2023 8:22 PM

I was in a hotel elevator with Bob Villa, the original This Old House guy. He smiled, had really expensive luggage, and was kind of hot in person.

by Anonymousreply 441March 27, 2023 8:51 PM

Nasir Jones is one the smuggiest little bitches that ever got behind a mic. He signed my name wrong when I was 12 yrs old and got an attitude when I asked him to rewrite my name at his autograph signing at Tower Records. It was then I became a Jay fan.

I kid and he is one of the greatest MCs but still. The bitch gave me the look of death piercing his eyes from above his black shades.

by Anonymousreply 442March 27, 2023 9:07 PM

R440 Lol No she walked from her old home around the corner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443March 27, 2023 9:08 PM

Fuck Blanchett

by Anonymousreply 444March 27, 2023 9:10 PM

[quote]When I lived/worked in Pittsburgh I saw David Conrad, who was so fucking hot I just wanted to unzip him and suck him off right there.

Yes, I saw him, too. He starred in Richard Greenberg's Three Days of Rain at the JCC, and I saw him that Sunday sitting outside at a coffee shop in Squirrel Hill. I stopped and talked to him for a few minutes. He said he hoped to move back to Pittsburgh someday. As of last month, he was living in London with his girlfriend, Juliet Rylance.

I had very similar thoughts, r437, about his penis. He's really gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445March 27, 2023 10:55 PM

David Conrad. I had completely forgotten about him. Everyone at Brown had a crush on David Conrad. I had no idea he went on to a successful career.

by Anonymousreply 446March 27, 2023 11:20 PM

Met Reese Witherspoon in a mall in LA a million years ago. She was big and pregnant with her first baby, but was perfectly nice to me and my friends.

by Anonymousreply 447March 27, 2023 11:56 PM

R442 Lol couldn't even pretend to give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 448March 28, 2023 9:35 AM

I held the doors open to Fortnum and Masons for Una Stubbs.

by Anonymousreply 449March 28, 2023 4:52 PM

I made whoopie with Mary Treen in the broom closet.

by Anonymousreply 450March 28, 2023 6:29 PM

I met the late Tony Warren (creator of Coronation Street) on a cruise. He said he’d stopped drinking years ago and that sobriety had made him boring. He was right.

by Anonymousreply 451March 28, 2023 6:36 PM

Gloria Honeyford pushing a trolley in Sainsbury's supermarket in Sevenoaks, Kent.

by Anonymousreply 452March 28, 2023 8:42 PM

Aida Turturro walking a dog.

by Anonymousreply 453March 28, 2023 10:14 PM

Not exactly a celeb, Andrew Sullivan, walking his 2 dogs in P-town. Smiled, nodded, looked unusually healthy.

by Anonymousreply 454March 28, 2023 11:39 PM

The other day I was cleaning my car and bent over. I felt a fist go easily into my rear and just as quickly it was gone. I turned around and it was DefeCate Blandshit running away.

by Anonymousreply 455March 28, 2023 11:44 PM

So thoroughly British, R452.

by Anonymousreply 456March 29, 2023 12:29 AM

Absolutely R456.

I also bumped into Adam Faith and Cheryl Baker from Buck's Fizz in the car park there on separate occasions.

Gloria was wearing fluffy kitten mule shoes!

by Anonymousreply 457March 29, 2023 12:35 AM

R455, don't quit your day job.

by Anonymousreply 458March 29, 2023 12:44 AM

R457 The Sainsbury's of the STAHS 🤩

[QUOTE]Gloria was wearing fluffy kitten mule shoes!

Someone knows how to be famous properly! I hope they were pink.

by Anonymousreply 459March 29, 2023 12:56 AM

In a restaurant where I worked, I once complimented JLo on the amazing scene at the end of "Out Of Sight" and the way it was shot. She looked at me as if I were speaking a foreign language.She had no idea what the hell I was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 460March 29, 2023 12:57 AM

R459 They were very pink indeed!

by Anonymousreply 461March 29, 2023 12:58 AM

I ran to catch a cab on Park Avenue one afternoon, just as Jackie O was emerging from it.

by Anonymousreply 462March 29, 2023 1:00 AM

R458 Don't quit being a diseased cunt.

by Anonymousreply 463March 29, 2023 1:05 AM

On my way to see Jesus Christ Superstar when my boyfriend and I walked down a side street and saw Jon Secada walking towards us. I whispered to my boyfriend that it was him and my boyfriend yelled "HEY, JONNNNY!!!" at the top of his lungs. Jon looked mortified and so was I.

In an outlet mall I saw Miss Tammy Faye Bakker strolling with a friend and clutching a TJ Maxx bag. She was well under 5 feet feet tall and wearing very high wedge sandals. She looked painfully thin from her cancer struggles but was giggling with her friend and having fun.

At a cigar bar Dennis Rodman came in with a girlfriend. He stopped to say hello and shake hands; his hand was ENORMOUS and quite rough. His girlfriend was a law student at my university and she looked embarrassed once we made that connection.

In a Mexican restaurant, Ted Nugent came in with his wife and family. He was rude and impatient when asked to wait a moment while tables were pushed together to accommodate his large party. He sat himself down at the table before it was even ready and generally behaved like an asshole. His family was very nice and also very attractive.

At a book signing, Patti Smith was annoyed with people taking her photo before her talk and told them they had enough photos already. When we lined up for her autograph it was clear she hated giving the autographs and she was rather unfriendly. She should have just pre-autographed the books because she clearly didn't feel like speaking to anyone after her book talk.

As previously posted here, I saw Amanda Knox in an Apple store buying a laptop. She looked like a very average 20 something year old girl, but I noticed her in an overcrowded Apple store because she was clearly trying not to be seen. That drew my eye to her and I stared until I recognized her.

I met Kevin Spacey through a work event and he was wearing a terrible all linen outfit that did him no favors. He looked quite pleased with himself in that outfit, though. He was otherwise funny and charming.

by Anonymousreply 464March 29, 2023 1:14 AM

R451 Tony Warren was boring long before he stopped drinking, he could clear The Rembrandt bar in Manchester in seconds

by Anonymousreply 465March 29, 2023 1:34 AM

One day at lunch I was getting soup at Whole Foods and recognized the voice of DJ from Full House (a.k.a. Candace Cameron Bure). I looked up and there was Candace excitedly giving another woman a tour of the prepared foods section, for reasons I'll never know or understand.

by Anonymousreply 466March 29, 2023 2:00 AM

Please go into more detail about this, R466, if possible.

by Anonymousreply 467March 29, 2023 2:02 AM

R467, it sort of looked like she had a friend in town and was trying to show her around the store while they shopped? But they didn't have a cart. Her voice was so loud and easily recognizable it stopped me mid-soup ladle so I could check out what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 468March 29, 2023 2:09 AM

Was she praising Jeebus for all his abundance at Whole Foods?

I’m more annoyed you could hear her… means there wasn’t enough people around telling that cunt to fuck the right fuck off

by Anonymousreply 469March 29, 2023 2:18 AM

Please go into more detail about this as well, R465, if possible.

I'm American and knew nothing about him before we met.

by Anonymousreply 470March 29, 2023 2:19 AM

r466, Were her pupils dilated?

by Anonymousreply 471March 29, 2023 2:52 AM

Saw Duff Goldman of Food Network at Ralphs on Olympic/Barrington shopping in the baking section. I was blocking the aisle and he politely said "excuse me". Very very short, maybe 5'4" but seemed very nice to the people who recognized him.

by Anonymousreply 472March 29, 2023 3:03 AM

James Taylor after a concert. Just as great as you’d think. Asked a lot about where I was from.

Adam the lead singer from Counting Crows back when they were huge. Kind of grunted hi when I was introduced but all I did was stare at his fake dreads and how badly they were sewn on his head. It was a let down.

Alec Baldwin back before Iiilllariahh. I was at a party in his building. I was in the lobby after it ended and he walked in. Nodded hello and stopped to chat in a friendly manner to the doorman.

by Anonymousreply 473March 29, 2023 3:44 AM

I must have been walking right in front of a 70’s legend in 2004 in Hell’s Kitchen, because a guy coming toward us lit up and said, “Nipsy RUSSELL: baby you look GOOD!”

by Anonymousreply 474March 29, 2023 3:46 AM

I waited on Eva LaRue and John Callahan.

I met Brad Maule and Ingo Rademacher.

by Anonymousreply 475March 29, 2023 4:12 AM

I once saw Margaret Hamilton in a hotel lobby.

by Anonymousreply 476March 29, 2023 4:15 AM

R468 The hell kind of bumpkin friends does she have? That would stop me in tracks, too.

by Anonymousreply 477March 29, 2023 5:12 AM

I served gin and tonics to Roger Ebert and his date. This happened during a time when he was supposed to be sober. I told this story in another thread, not knowing that Ebert professed to be sober. Another poster questioned me on it - could not believe that Ebert professed to be sober but was drinking.

Anyway, he was kind of sour-dispositioned and I don’t think he was with his wife, and it did look like a date - not business.

by Anonymousreply 478March 29, 2023 5:30 AM

R476, The Culver Hotel in Culver City!

by Anonymousreply 479March 29, 2023 6:32 AM

That was me, R478. I did and do believe you, just was disappointed in Ebert. He made kind of a big deal about his sobriety.

by Anonymousreply 480March 29, 2023 6:33 AM

OK, thanks, R480.

by Anonymousreply 481March 29, 2023 7:15 AM

Steve Coogan walking out his old house in Hove, England.

by Anonymousreply 482March 29, 2023 11:35 AM

Speaking of Ebert, I waited on Gene Siskel at a Skokie IL restaurant. He was an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 483March 29, 2023 12:31 PM

Alan Rickman loudly complaining the music was too loud in the restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 484March 29, 2023 5:27 PM

Once on the Matterhorn I heard Cate Blanchett sc-[italic]reaming[/italic] into her mobile: I am not getting back on that hamster wheel!

So apparently trains and cable cars, but not everything.

by Anonymousreply 485March 29, 2023 5:58 PM

R479, no Olympia, WA.

by Anonymousreply 486March 29, 2023 10:57 PM

R483, How so?

by Anonymousreply 487March 29, 2023 11:49 PM

To R133 Lynn was the best! I got to spend a lot of time with her over a few years due to her work with The Actor's Fund. We walked together on walkathons, went to the theater together, etc. The nicest most down to earth person you'd ever know considering her pedigree and body of work. I'll always feel honored having known her.

by Anonymousreply 488March 30, 2023 2:04 AM

I saw Lynn Redgrave at Home Depot in Woodland Hills in the early 80's, she had 2 carts loaded with flowers.

by Anonymousreply 489March 30, 2023 2:31 AM

R133 / R488 - Did you ask her why her sister was such a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 490March 30, 2023 12:07 PM

When I worked at MTV in the early 2000s, I was grabbing lunch at the cafeteria called "The Lodge" one day. While at the soda machine getting a drink, I turned to my left and said, "Oh, hi Britney". Britney Spears turned to me and said "Hi!" and then we both resumed getting our drinks.

by Anonymousreply 491March 30, 2023 12:16 PM

R491, did she show ya her cooter?

by Anonymousreply 492March 30, 2023 12:19 PM

Steve Jobs at the Whole Foods in Palo Alto at 2 minutes before closing. He ran in yelling, I know exactly what I want. Left his vintage Mercedes with the NEXT vanity plates illegally parked right in front of the entrance. We were waiting to check out, he tossed money on the belt of the empty register and walked out with his stuff, a beverage and something that looked like dried mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 493March 30, 2023 12:56 PM

A decade ago, I was walking in Manhattan (would walk miles: uptown to downtown to learn about the city and discover its treasures), and I encountered Kelly Riley on a Soho back street coming out of a Duane Reed store. I don’t say anything to celebs when encountering them, but I was so startled that I complimented her and mentioned I really appreciated her work. (This was pre-Yellowstone when her roles were more obscure.)

She was gracious and seemed surprised that someone recognized her.

by Anonymousreply 494March 30, 2023 12:58 PM

Ian Somerhalder used to dine in a restaurant where I worked. BDE, always smelling cookies, but couldn't talk intelligently about the weather.

by Anonymousreply 495March 30, 2023 4:51 PM

Not boring but not all that exciting, either. I was in line at Lamont (Harvard’s undergrad library) about an hour ago picking up my copy of “Lily Savage: An A to Z Thing” that I requested yesterday having read about Paul O’Grady’s death on Wednesday. It’s a fairly lurid cover: our Lady of the Leopardskins against a shocking pink background so easily noticed by the guy behind me in line at the desk who says, “She died the other day, you know.” I said, “Yeah, that’s why I got it” before realizing I was talking to Conan O’Brien.

He said he spent a lot of time there as a student, was walking by, and wanted to see what it looked like these days. He was friendly and polite to everyone including the guard at the door and the kids working the desk were beside themselves over their brush with fame on a quiet Thursday afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 496March 30, 2023 6:53 PM

R491 was she wearing her red dress?

by Anonymousreply 497March 30, 2023 6:58 PM

R496 seemed strange at first, but I guess Conan would know since O'Grady was a comedian.

by Anonymousreply 498March 30, 2023 8:30 PM

Cate Blanchett dislikes funiculars too.

by Anonymousreply 499March 31, 2023 3:57 AM

I rode in a Birmingham hotel elevator with Joe Namath and neither of us said anything.

by Anonymousreply 500March 31, 2023 9:12 AM

Birmingham, Alabama?

by Anonymousreply 501March 31, 2023 9:42 AM

Yes, Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 502March 31, 2023 9:50 AM

[quote] I rode in a Birmingham hotel elevator with Joe Namath and neither of us said anything.

Your mouth was full, and he was busy pretending you were Ali McGraw.

by Anonymousreply 503March 31, 2023 12:11 PM

It is well known that Cate Blanchett does dislike funiculars, but less known is that while filming Blue Jasmine she also developed a passionate hatred of cable cars. No one knows why. It's the real reason she walked out of the Ellen interview in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 504March 31, 2023 12:28 PM

Faye Dunaway story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505March 31, 2023 4:27 PM

I sat next to Judi Dench at the horse racing once.

by Anonymousreply 506March 31, 2023 5:31 PM

Barbra's second round of Back to Brooklyn concert. The whole fucking thing was one big expensive, awful snooze-fest. People were leaving in droves way before the end.

by Anonymousreply 507March 31, 2023 5:35 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience R455.

Cate Blanchette taking up all the good seats on public transportation is bad enough...

but fisting you without your consent is just damned rude!

by Anonymousreply 508March 31, 2023 11:13 PM

I saw Tom Hiddleston once walking through Hampstead Heath years ago...long before he embarrassed himself with beards and back when he was younger and more attractive

by Anonymousreply 509March 31, 2023 11:16 PM

Grant Show ignored me at a sex club.

by Anonymousreply 510April 1, 2023 12:53 AM

I once asked Terence Stamp how to get to Piccadilly from Haymarket.He told me.

by Anonymousreply 511April 1, 2023 4:31 AM

R511 were you in between his legs at the time?

by Anonymousreply 512April 1, 2023 4:42 AM

A 5th Avenue department store, maybe Lord and Taylors. Sally Jesse Raphael in her heyday. I forget why I was there but I saw a small crowd of women gathered around Sally standing on a kind of stage. She was giving some kind of talk which I couldn't hear. Maybe some event advertised on her radio show. I'm tall and was in the back and was just about to walk away when she gave me a come hither look. In different circumstances I might have followed up but I must have had something else to do at the time so I hithered away. So, yes, boring.

by Anonymousreply 513April 1, 2023 4:44 AM

R510 I wouldn't necessarily say your story is boring.

by Anonymousreply 514April 1, 2023 4:47 AM

I think I mentioned this years ago, but oh well... I was watching a play at the Mark Taper Forum when I heard a very familiar voice coming from directly behind me, speaking to their partner / friend / whatever. The voice was deep and husky, and at first I thought the voice belonged to a gay man. During intermission, as I got up to use the restroom, I turned to catch a quick glance at who was sitting behind me and it was none other than Miss Suzanne Pleshette, seated next to Tom Poston. She caught me looking and I smiled. She returned a smile and said, "Hello, hon!"

by Anonymousreply 515April 1, 2023 5:16 AM

I used to see Suzanne and Tom at The Hamlet on Sunset. They were always friendly, even to people that came up for autographs- although most people left them alone.

by Anonymousreply 516April 1, 2023 5:38 AM

Somewhere between 1979 and 1985. Standing in checkout line at a major pharmacy chain store on Ventura Blvd. (ShermanOaks/Encino/prob. Sherman Oaks) behind Annette Funicello. She had 2 cartons of Marlboros. She was very beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 517April 1, 2023 5:42 AM

Rode an elevator with Eric Estrada in a building on Riverside Dr. in Toluca Lake somewhere in the 2000's. He was very beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 518April 1, 2023 5:47 AM

R518 Yum. Latinx are so hot.

by Anonymousreply 519April 1, 2023 6:58 AM

Eric Estrada and I were in opposite dressing rooms at Bullocks in Sherman Oaks in the early 90s.

He kept coming out shirtless, and asked me how he looked in various pants. Hot AF, and desperate for attention even from an obviously gay man.

Nice enough, and a great view for me

by Anonymousreply 520April 1, 2023 7:15 AM

A friend of mine was a preteen visiting his Aunt, neighbor to Nicole Brown Simpson of Nicole Simpson. He’s pretty sure he heard the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 521April 1, 2023 7:22 AM

R519 = Miranda Hobbes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522April 1, 2023 8:38 AM

R520 Whoaa! Stop there. You was in a dressing room?

You need to tell us more. It sounds a fascinating story, not boring at all.

by Anonymousreply 523April 1, 2023 8:50 AM

R519 Excuse you.

by Anonymousreply 524April 1, 2023 9:22 AM

I need more from R510. Doesn't sound boring on the face of it.

by Anonymousreply 525April 1, 2023 1:48 PM

I was riding the MTA B6 one day when a dissheveled Cate Blanchett lifted her caftan and queefed at me.

by Anonymousreply 526April 1, 2023 3:07 PM

I was on a flight that William Shatner was on. He sat in first class and I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 527April 1, 2023 3:40 PM

R527, that would've freaked me out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528April 1, 2023 4:11 PM

I flew with President Bush Sr. (former at that time) on a garden variety United flight from Chicago to Houston. I was in coach and wondered why there were maybe 5 other passengers for the trip. Then as I got off in Houston I passed the president and so many secret service agents they filled all of business class (12 seats I think).

by Anonymousreply 529April 1, 2023 4:33 PM

R525, it was at Basic Plumbing in LA, right before Melrose Place.

He already had 3 guys going at him- so it wasn't that I was ignored, so much as there wasn't room.

by Anonymousreply 530April 1, 2023 5:45 PM

I was waiting at the gate to board, 3 places ahead in line was this short guy with ridiculous-looking floppy leather saddlebag carry-ons. After he turned around and caught my eye I recognized he was Nate Berkus. Just then two women approached him, with strong southern accents, "We thought that was you. Well what are you doing here?" He engaged with them but it looked a little forced. He appeared sleep deprived.

by Anonymousreply 531April 2, 2023 8:59 AM

R531 Poor Nate. At least he was gracious.

by Anonymousreply 532April 2, 2023 9:33 AM

Are we going to want a Part 2 or no? This thread is starting to lag pretty badly for me.

by Anonymousreply 533April 2, 2023 9:33 AM

I sat next to Julie Andrews at outside restaurant in Gstaad, Switzerland back in 2009.

by Anonymousreply 534April 2, 2023 11:27 AM

Part 2 is up:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535April 2, 2023 6:16 PM

I was having a raclette and Roussette meal one evening in Courchevel when Sylvie Vartan and David Hallyday sat down at the table beside me. I raised my glass and nodded at them. Mme Vartan responded with a "Bonsoir !"

by Anonymousreply 536April 2, 2023 6:46 PM

R536 She didn't look at you at all.

by Anonymousreply 537April 2, 2023 6:59 PM

R536 I sat next to H E Ginger in a restaurant in Gruyeres, Switzerland. His museum is there. You can visit Alien. It was a Sunday night, so very quiet. All the tourists had gone home. He was very nice and we talked a while about his work.

by Anonymousreply 538April 2, 2023 9:26 PM

Is H E Ginger a Spice Girl?

by Anonymousreply 539April 2, 2023 9:44 PM

Damn spellcheck!

H E Giger of course!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540April 2, 2023 9:57 PM

I served Penny Hackforth-Jones at a shop. she asked to borrow a pencil and never returned it.

by Anonymousreply 541April 2, 2023 11:09 PM

I saw Anne Morrow Lindbergh on the subway once. She was looking for her baby, but Cate Blanchett told her to STFU.

by Anonymousreply 542April 3, 2023 12:12 AM

I saw Bobby Hull at Country Kitchen ca. .1976.

by Anonymousreply 543April 3, 2023 12:30 AM

I would have asked for a big bear hug from Bobby Hull.

by Anonymousreply 544April 3, 2023 2:12 AM

I passed Wayne Knight on the street near Times Square about 10 years ago. He was with two young blondes. He didn't hide of how happy he was.

by Anonymousreply 545April 4, 2023 7:36 AM

I encountered Mohammed Ali as well, back in the mid 80s. It was at O'Hare Airport. It was quite late at night and the airport was not busy. I had gone down to baggage claim to get a bag and he was sitting all alone on a bench up against the wall. No one was around him and there weren't enough people in the big baggage claim area to have noticed him. He looked quite sad. I just assumed someone was there with him and had gone off to deal with some sort of baggage issue. But still I found it surprising they would have just left him there all alone.

by Anonymousreply 546April 4, 2023 7:42 AM

[quote] I passed Wayne Knight on the street near Times Square about 10 years ago.

Most people are shocked when they find out that he grew up Cartersville, Ga., a small town in the Blue Ridge foothills of north Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 547April 4, 2023 7:45 AM

Ypir in the upstairs dining room at little known McDonald's near the Geneva train station. Not the fishbowl one on Rue Du Mont-Blanc. Ypir was having the fish. We'd met a few weeks before at Princess Luisa of Savoy's christening so pretended not to recognise each other at McDonald's. Ypir doesn't slum, officially.

by Anonymousreply 548April 4, 2023 8:22 AM

I sat opposite Gyles Brandreth on a train journey home from York. He was so talkative and entertaining that I didn't want to get off the train at my destination!

by Anonymousreply 549April 4, 2023 9:31 AM

Was he travelling with Cate Blanchett?

by Anonymousreply 550April 4, 2023 4:59 PM

Pardon the lapse in my memory, but who is Ypir, again?

by Anonymousreply 551April 5, 2023 4:05 PM

Ypir is an ex Top Model and current jet setter of debated nationality and ethnicity, who hides her face au grand public.

by Anonymousreply 552April 5, 2023 4:10 PM

Claudia Christian walked past me in Echo Park in the early 10s. She was carrying a bag of restaurant leftovers and walking with a man who was only mildly attractive. (She was stunning!)

by Anonymousreply 553April 5, 2023 5:56 PM

R550 They had 'uncoupled' at that point.

by Anonymousreply 554April 5, 2023 7:49 PM

I saw Cate Blanchett cutting her toenails on the Paris to Lyon high speed train. She punched me in the cunt when I told her off for it.

by Anonymousreply 555April 5, 2023 10:23 PM

From my taxi, a few summers back I saw Champagne Papi cross the street.

by Anonymousreply 556April 6, 2023 3:11 AM

R556 how did he look?

by Anonymousreply 557April 6, 2023 6:25 AM

R557 well it was quite a distance view. But I recall seeing shiny coloured sneakers and lots of baggy clothes

by Anonymousreply 558April 6, 2023 10:05 AM

I had nothing to do with the Ohio train crash!

by Anonymousreply 559April 7, 2023 9:23 PM

[quote] had nothing to do with the Ohio train crash!

Sure about that?

by Anonymousreply 560April 7, 2023 10:50 PM

I think I saw Pitbull once. Not sure.

by Anonymousreply 561April 8, 2023 1:20 AM

Back in the early 90s I was in Georgetown in DC for Halloween and a lot of people were walking on M street and I said to my nephew: That's Carrot Top! He knew I recognized him but nobody else was paying attention to him.

by Anonymousreply 562April 8, 2023 2:16 AM

Pitbull is adorable. I would put him in my pocket any day.

by Anonymousreply 563April 8, 2023 3:39 AM

Liev Schreiber in Hudson River Park, with much younger. gf and tiny. dog. (Was shocked that he's playing Otto Frank in some TV movie!)

by Anonymousreply 564April 8, 2023 1:31 PM

George Michael ordering a chicken sandwich at a deli near Hampstead Heath, I think this was in the Summer of 2009 or 2010. Wearing dark jeans, a hoodie, a baseball cap. Polite, quiet — and even dressed like a slob he looked incredibly handsome.

by Anonymousreply 565April 8, 2023 1:36 PM

Al “Grandpa Munster” Lewis was shilling on the sidewalk for Grandpa’s, his restaurant in the Village, late 1980’s. We were hungry, he was Grandpa, and a chicken dinner was under $10 so we ate there.

by Anonymousreply 566April 8, 2023 1:50 PM

R566 This makes me a little sad. I wanted him to be my grandpa. How was the chicken?

by Anonymousreply 567April 8, 2023 2:03 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568April 8, 2023 2:33 PM

Dinner was great and we didn't have a coupon. We ate there because my late friend Ralph (who lived in NYC and owned a 26-unit building in Chelsea) was cheap. He had a rule that he wouldn't eat at a restaurant that charged more than $10 for chicken. Fedora's was his usual choice because everything on the dinner menu was always less than $10 and, of course, Fedora herself.

Years later I saw Lewis in Havana holding court on the terrace of the Hotel Nacional for the tourists. He said he spent the winters there.

by Anonymousreply 569April 8, 2023 3:38 PM

15-20 years ago: John Simon on the M30-? 8th Avenue bus at 10:30 P.M. Alone. May have been coming from an Off-Off play.

by Anonymousreply 570April 8, 2023 5:33 PM

Michelle Pfeiffer helping out a gal pal at a sandwich shop. She seemed to really have fun making my sandwich and said Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 571April 8, 2023 5:36 PM

Mia Farrow and Woody sitting quietly and unrecognized together Lincoln Center Plaza during his play there Floating Electric Light Bulb. She looked radiant even from a distance.

by Anonymousreply 572April 8, 2023 5:38 PM

Long ago on Bleecker street, I was heading east to 7th Avenue when I saw large black limo pull up to a semi-trendy restaurant. Out pops Joan Rivers, all of about 4 feet tall, with a couple of other people. She and I lock eyes for a moment as I approach. Joan, who was impeccably groomed, had a "Yes, it's really me, would you like my autograph or a photo?" look in her eyes, but I smiled politely, nodded, and kept walking. I liked Joan well enough, but what do I care about an autograph or photo -- we're not friends or anything so there'd be no sentimental value to it. She did seem friendly and approachable, if not just a wee bit thirsty.

by Anonymousreply 573April 8, 2023 6:33 PM

I grew up visiting Manhattan so it was common to see the famous folk walking. I've passed by Maria Shriver - skeletal, wore a print dress, clearly knew her power Rue McClanahan - standing near a car, I caught her eye, she sort of smirked and looked away, quite full of herself Paul Rudd - was eating with some friends and he stopped and looked into the window of the restaurant, wearing a very gorgeous camel hair coat with a striped scarf, looks exactly like he does on TV, seemed bemused

by Anonymousreply 574April 8, 2023 7:23 PM

Sadly, based on my own experience, I agree with you about Rue McClanahan. I wished she was nicer, but she was not particularly gracious or friendly when she approached me as the upscale hotel concierge. This was mid-late 90s. Face like a road map, too.

Had the same disappointing experience with Shirley Jones, although she was in much better shape and still pretty.

by Anonymousreply 575April 8, 2023 7:32 PM

But if you weren't gay at least Shirley might have fucked you. Or was that Florence Henderson? Or were they both cougs?

by Anonymousreply 576April 8, 2023 7:38 PM

A shame to hear that about Shirley Jones, as her voice in Carousel is a true delight.

by Anonymousreply 577April 8, 2023 7:43 PM

R575 she’s seems very “off” and just kind of rude , maybe? in most of her interviews, especially as she got older.

Also, her autobio was terribly ghostwritten and couldn’t even get basic dates right that the most casual GG fan would know.

by Anonymousreply 578April 8, 2023 7:58 PM

Back in the 80s, watched a very inebriated Richard Gere kissing another guy while they were both leaning against a chain-link fence. It was on Greenwich on a Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 579April 8, 2023 9:01 PM

Greenwich Ave or Street? It matters!

by Anonymousreply 580April 8, 2023 10:06 PM

The one at the top of Christopher.

by Anonymousreply 581April 8, 2023 11:05 PM

R579 are you sure you didn’t dream that? Whilst jerking off ?

by Anonymousreply 582April 9, 2023 3:17 AM

Jocelyn Wildenstein walking down 8th Avenue in the theater district. So striking to see such an odd looking person in public.

by Anonymousreply 583April 9, 2023 3:18 AM

Bill Cunningham on an Easter Sunday in the mid-2010s in front of St Patricks. I saw some others recognize him and try to get his attention, but he grunted a bit and agitated to compose a shot to signal to them to buzz off. I just stood further back and admired him at work before getting lost in the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 584April 9, 2023 4:56 AM

George Michael ordering a chicken sandwich at a deli near Hampstead Heath

Is that a euphemism? Ordering a chicken sandwich near Hamstead Heath (huge well known beat)

looking to be sandwiched between cock on Hamstead Heath?

by Anonymousreply 585April 9, 2023 8:53 AM

Joe Namath walking alone on Lexington Avenue in the 50s. Jason Robards driving alone in the late evening near Times Square

by Anonymousreply 586April 9, 2023 9:37 AM

Ali McGraw in the outside lobby of Radio City. She looked jumpy. (Meeting someone?)

by Anonymousreply 587April 9, 2023 9:40 AM

Sandra Bernhardt in a small Japanese restaurant on Hudson Street in the West Village. She was about 50 at the time and was with a hot blonde guy about half her age. Around 11 P.M. and I think she was doing a show in the area at the time. I wouldn't have noticed her until I heard the word 'Fuck' in the background. No complaints.

by Anonymousreply 588April 9, 2023 9:47 AM

Anne Meara walking down the street with big sunglasses but she was talking and you could hear her from a block away.

by Anonymousreply 589April 9, 2023 2:21 PM

George Michael hopped on the elevator that my friend and I were on, en route to the Virgin Megastore on Sunset and Crescent Heights. He was checking out my handsome, muscular, Latino friend, who was oblivious to the famous celebrity riding up with us.

by Anonymousreply 590April 9, 2023 2:36 PM

R582-Jealous? And I watched them make out for a while, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 591April 9, 2023 2:40 PM

I saw Ruta Lee at the airport in Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 592April 9, 2023 3:01 PM

Rula Lenska at Sally's Beauty Supply in Allentown, PA. Late 60s.

by Anonymousreply 593April 9, 2023 5:37 PM

Lainie Kazan at Gelson's in Century City, putting 2 filet mignons in her bra. I said Lainie, why not go for the rib roast?

by Anonymousreply 594April 9, 2023 5:47 PM

Saw Sandra Bernhard trying to hail a cab on Third Avenue and E 81st (which is where Madonna has her multi-townhouse compound). She was wearing a brown belted coat and looking sour and pissy.

by Anonymousreply 595April 9, 2023 7:43 PM

Roger Federer with Bear Grylls - stroking palm, popping fish eyes, the sexual tension is crackling - he's achin' for Bear's bacon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596April 10, 2023 10:12 AM

^^ Oops, wrong thread, duh - still, it is quite boring

by Anonymousreply 597April 10, 2023 10:16 AM

I met Cate Blanchett on the streets of London, not on the train. She asked if I was paparazzi before agreeing to take a picture with me

by Anonymousreply 598April 10, 2023 10:31 AM

[quote]Had the same disappointing experience with Shirley Jones, although she was in much better shape and still pretty.

I recall a story here several years ago that a DLer or DLer's friend/partner got stiffed by Shriley Jones. The person did a portrait or some kind of painting or photography job for her and Shirley made the downpayment then refused to pay the balance. Then denied owing the balance or even knowing the person. Then gave the person a $100 supermarket gift card saying that made them even. Anyone else remember this? I swear I read it here.

by Anonymousreply 599April 10, 2023 10:36 AM

R599 Not boring.

by Anonymousreply 600April 10, 2023 12:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!