Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

American Eldercare, or how I learned to love Carrousel

An excellent article in the Washington Post that lays out the terrible choices in store if you are lucky enough to get old.

This is uniquely American. In the comments:

[quote] A friend relayed a story about friends of hers that required intensive, on-going medical care for the husband at a cost of $8,000 a month. They left the country, moved to Mexico where the man received care in an excellent facility, staffed by nurses and doctors with no orderlies or unskilled caretakers. The cost was $1,400 a month and the wife found a house to rent at $700 monthly which came with yard service.

Senior care is only getting worse, even as the costs rise for terrible care. People save for all their lives only to burn it away. This is another insurmountable, bleak crisis that looks in our future. In addition to climate change, economic uncertainty, and global instability.

Maybe Logan shouldn’t have run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 2:03 PM

What's "Caroussel?"

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 1:49 PM

I once had a financial advisor ask me how long I thought I would live. I thought about the number of men who lived in the same assisted living facility as my mom did, and thought probably, as a male, not that long.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 1:58 PM

R1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 2:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!