Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greg: how do you make homemade French Fries?

Greg

or a DLer with the know-how

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 5:00 PM

calling Greg

I need to make homemade french fries, right away

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 7:24 AM

How do I personally make French fries? If so, I make fries in the oven with a cornstarch slurry.

Or do you mean to ask how one makes real French fries (deep frying)?

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 1:05 PM

Google is your friend, moron. Greg wold just give you a recipe he stole off the net - you can find the same damn recipe by searching for it. If you are morally opposed to google, there are other search engines, any of which will give you a million recipes for French fries, which basically consist of:

Wash potatoes, peel if preferred. Cut potatoes into French fries Soak in salted water for 30 minutes Drain and blot dry Fry.

French fries don't really need a recipe - they are just fried potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 1:09 PM

[quote] Greg wold just give you a recipe he stole off the net - you can find the same damn recipe by searching for it.

That’s right, OP, I would just steal it off the net.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 1:17 PM

How much and what kind of oil? I'm not OP.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 1:25 PM

[quote] How much and what kind of oil? I'm not OP.

I’ll let R3 handle this.

I don’t want to get caught stealing off the net.

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 1:48 PM

The proper Belgian way is to ensure the potatoes are quite dry after soaking and rinsing before the first frying at around 335-340°F (170°C). Fry them several minutes before any color change (time is dependent on thickness), enough to cook through the insides. Take them out to rest, then turn the oil up to 375°F (190°C) to flash fry them to light golden color and proper crispiness.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 2:00 PM

Russert potatoes and oil. Cut potatoes and then soak them in cold water, this will take the starch off. Make sure you dry your potatoes! Bring your oil up to temp, this will depend on which oil you use. Drop potatoes into oil, do not crowd, small batches work the best. After about two minutes, take your batch out of the oil, place into a bowl. Once all the potatoes have been cooked once, repeat, cook the fries a second time until they turn golden brown. While they are still hot, season. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 2:03 PM

This is for next time but I have recently found that if you blanche your potatoes in water for 2 minutes and then dry them, use 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and mix and then freeze them, take out of the freezer what you want to fry and you get the most delicious crispy fries.

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 2:12 PM

I just keep a bag of Rally's or Arby's curly fries in the freezer, and pop them in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 2:42 PM

This recipe is foolproof and magnificent. A true game changer. It seems crazy, but it works. Follow the directions exactly and you will always have perfect fries. You’re welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 2:47 PM

I think fries really absorb the oil they are cooked in. I would use peanut oil but can't b/c of allergies, so I use the best quality olive oil which I know seems like a waste but I can really tell. You can use regular vegetable oil, I just don't like it as much which might be my personal taste. Put salt on IMMEDIATELY when each batch is done. I use regular Idaho potatoes, heat up enough oil that it covers the fries, put them in a single layer, med/ med high (I don't want the oil to spit at me), flip them using two forks- I don't stab them, I use the two forks to navigate them. When brown enough I put them on a plate layered with paper towels, salt and continue with more batches. I learned this from a college roommate from Greece whose family owned an olive orchard- so we got REALLY good olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 3:35 PM

Greg at R6 is begging for someone to beg him to give a recipe out. He is the most self-absorbed attention whore on DL.

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 4:19 PM

[quote] Greg at [R6] is begging for someone to beg him to give a recipe out. He is the most self-absorbed attention whore on DL.

Awwww….go on, R13! 😘

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 4:59 PM

R13 loves my attention!

Think he’s cute?

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 5:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!