Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Toni Collette is a horrible, hammy actress

I never realized it.

At first, I thought her performance as Muriel in "Muriel's Wedding" was just an act (of genius) as an over-the-top, quirky weirdo.

Then I saw her in Krampus, and she was the same person, but as a mom.

Now she's in the movie "Mafia Mamma," and she's still the same, hammy, scenery chewing mess.

She's terrible!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 18, 2023 6:12 PM

How was the movie? Is it entertaining?

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 7:12 AM

OP, you need to find and finish your Orgasm.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 7:19 AM

Deidre Chambers!

What a surprise seeing you here.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 7:24 AM

Another leading role that should be played by a woman 10-15 years younger.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 7:25 AM

Muriel’s Wedding should’ve been Mama Mia!

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 7:29 AM

She IS terrible.

It's true.

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 8:08 AM

R3, the iconic line is ‘Dierdre Chambers, what a coincidence!’

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 8:11 AM

I watched a film with her in it when I was stoned, and I saw her 'acting' and terrible accent. You know how when you're stoned you see these things (as they really are?) I've always thought she was awful after that, it couldn't be undone.

Brad Pitt is another one.

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 8:14 AM

She has horrible bags under her eyes.

In Krampus, she was nearly anorexic.

WTF is wrong with her?

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 8:17 AM

Toni was great in Muriel's Wedding, Clockwatchers, The Sixth Sense, About A Boy, The Hours, In Her Shoes, Fright Night, United States of Tara, The Way, Way Back, Hereditary, and Knives Out. Her crying may not be for everyone, but Toni always delivers. Still waiting for her to get a well-deserved Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 8:31 AM

I am too lazy to check, but I can only assume the OP is the same person who started a thread to put down Katharine Hepburn as an actress.

Good lord.

Toni Collette is one of today's living legends. She is extraordinarily talented.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 8:39 AM

She was SO good in About A Boy, R9. That was such an underrated movie.

Agree with your other choices too.

Collette is an amazing actress, OP. I couldn't disagree more.

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 8:41 AM

OP, your taste fucking sucks.

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 8:43 AM

Rachel Griffiths is better.

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 8:44 AM

Rachel Griffiths is great, whatever happened to her?

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 8:52 AM

She's fucking awful. You can see her acting. Every time.

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 9:03 AM

From Six Feet Under (HBO) to Brothers & Sisters (ABC), Rachel Griffiths only knows how to play an insufferable cunt. She has less range than Toni and will never win the Oscar. Toni has been nominated before and still has a better shot. If we're lucky, they'll give Toni one before they give Cate a third. Not to be wholly outdone, I'm sure Nicole Kidman voted for Michelle Yeoh and pulled strings to ensure Cate lost.

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 9:04 AM

I first saw Rachel Griffiths in Hilary & Jackie, and she and Emily Watson were both spectacular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2023 9:13 AM

Enh, sometimes it works. But yeah, hammy AF.

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2023 10:47 AM

[quote] Rachel Griffiths only knows how to play an insufferable cunt

And Toni only knows how to play a silly, goofy cunt.

What's the difference?

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2023 5:14 PM

[quote]Toni Collette is a horrible, hammy actress

Don't forget ugly.

by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2023 5:17 PM

She’s pretty good, OP. Certainly better than a majority of her age group.

by Anonymousreply 22March 18, 2023 5:19 PM

Did you watch the trailer at op's link, R22?

by Anonymousreply 23March 18, 2023 5:20 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 24March 18, 2023 5:23 PM

The only thing I really hated her in was United States of Tara.

It was all very "TA-DA!!!! This is my TOUR DE FORCE!!!! Hand me my goddamn Emmy NOW!!!!".

The sub-par writing didn't help.

I've liked her in most everything else, though.

by Anonymousreply 25March 18, 2023 5:25 PM

[quote] Hammier than Meryl? Fuck outta here.

You know an actress has hit rock bottom, when she's twerking at the Oscars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 18, 2023 5:25 PM

Yeah she's weird

by Anonymousreply 27March 18, 2023 5:26 PM

I love Toni, she almost always elevates every movie that she’s in.

Having said this, i have gonna a little off her having seen her attacked by an owl in The Staircase.

by Anonymousreply 28March 18, 2023 5:27 PM

She always does this annoying exaggerated version of an American woman, that comes across as some kind of schtick.

It's really annoyoing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 18, 2023 5:30 PM

And another...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 18, 2023 5:31 PM

She has legitimate Broadway Star quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 18, 2023 5:31 PM

Maybe, but this girl really knows how to take a tumble down the stairs or an owl to the head!

by Anonymousreply 32March 18, 2023 5:37 PM

No way! She's one of the best. She's always a joy to watch no matter the quality of the films she's in which has always been the mark of a great actor/actress. Even if the scenery is falling down behind them, their dialogue is shit, and their fellow actors are miscast, there are some actors that are able to rise above just about anything and still make a good to great impression. Toni is one of those.

She's never been afraid to play dowdy, but can glam up if needed. She's got one of the best American accents by an Aussie and she's able to make you laugh and cry or disturb or terrify you sometimes in the same scene. She has everything a good actor should have.

by Anonymousreply 33March 18, 2023 5:45 PM

I thought she was sort of a beloved cult actress around here and generally liked. I haven't seen many of her movies or shows, so I have no opinion.

by Anonymousreply 34March 18, 2023 5:48 PM

She seems fine in this role as someone coming into a mafia family who had no idea it was a mafia family.

by Anonymousreply 35March 18, 2023 5:59 PM

The mafia show looks awful, like it was written for suburban ladies to watch after yoga class.

But I will probably watch for Collette and Bellucci and the scenery and hot Italian men.

by Anonymousreply 36March 18, 2023 6:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!