Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The White Lotus

i swear it feels as though Mike White is poking fun at the public images and>or real life personalities of most of the actors and actresses on this series> Does anyone else read it that way?

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2023 8:35 AM

It could a serendipitous situation or just on the nose casting

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 1:46 AM

I just couldn't get into season two. Stopped trying mid third episode. Should I try again?

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 2:19 AM

I read somewhere that Sydney Sweeney and her friend's characters were based on James Franco, who would also make sure everyone knew that he was pretending to read heavy intellectual books.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 2:22 AM

I know Mike White said he was poking fun at James Franco's on-set personality regarding the scenes of Paula and Olivia reading those political books in public.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 1:56 PM

R2 Yes

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 2:13 PM

Thanks, R5. Binged it today, on episode seven now at the fight in the ocean. Glad I continued.

- R2

by Anonymousreply 6March 19, 2023 2:17 AM

James Franco is like the poster boy for poser Hollywood liberals. He even refused to pay the cast on his Great Depression movie.

Mike White said he also based Paula and Olivia on the female hosts of the Red Scare podcast. Which is strange, because they're almost nothing alike. Mayne he just meant their voices?

by Anonymousreply 7March 19, 2023 1:21 PM

Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Alexandra Daddario, Aubrey Plaza and Haley Lu Richardson are basically playing themselves. I'm sure there are other examples as well.

by Anonymousreply 8March 20, 2023 12:12 PM

MW writes a character and then casting finds an actor who can play that type of character well

That’s why Jake Lacy frequently plays smug dickheads or Murray Bartlett plays smarmy weasels

It’s not that complicated

by Anonymousreply 9March 20, 2023 12:17 PM

I'm not a right-winger by any means, but I have an oddball fetish for any kind of art or entertainment that depicts the left as weak/foolish/hypocritical. TWL S1 has this in spades. And S2 to a lesser extent. I would like them to take it even further without tipping over into cheap/lazy Matt Stone and Trey Parker territory. I don't Mike White is a Republican or even libertarian, but if you look at his entire body of work, there's obviously something weird and interesting going on with him.

by Anonymousreply 10March 21, 2023 9:26 PM

Someone maybe needs to learn the difference between affluent liberals and the actual left

That was kind of the point of Season One

by Anonymousreply 11March 21, 2023 9:28 PM

I finally watched season 1 and don't quite get the hype. I loved Enlightened, but WL felt uneven. Jennifer Coolidge was painful to watch (her jerking around the spa lady was good drama, but her cartoonish-ness made me start fast-fowarding her scenes).

Not sure what to make of the ending--does Mike White mean it as satire? The rich white kid gets saved by Hawaii, the rich people's marriage and their relationship to their daughter gets saved by the Hawaiian kid getting screwed. Is it supposed to be "the rich always come out on top" message? And did the whiny newlywed go back to her douchebag husband in the end?

(Not to mention all the scenes of people having sex being exposed by leaving doors open/unlocked.)

by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2023 6:32 AM

^ I much preferred Season 1, if you thought JC was painful & cringeworthy to watch, just wait…

I liked the S1 characters a lot better, the only dud for me was Jake Lacy. S2 was mostly duds: the “hookers,” Cam & his wife whose name always escapes me, & the multigenerational family, F. Murray Abraham was the saving grace.

by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2023 7:01 AM

This made it all a little more worth it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 22, 2023 7:26 AM

r10 Mike White is a libertarian so the making fun of liberals is probably intentional or at least reflecting his worldview.

by Anonymousreply 15March 22, 2023 7:36 AM

He is also an annoying bisexual who thinks 'gay sex' should be 'shocking' and whatever. Total bug eyed asshole

by Anonymousreply 16March 22, 2023 10:09 AM

Libertarians are Republicans who can spell.

by Anonymousreply 17March 22, 2023 12:05 PM

I think the plot of the rich gays using Jennifer Coolidge as their barbie doll is pretty much what Mike's friendship with her in real life is like.

by Anonymousreply 18March 22, 2023 8:20 PM

Season one:

Rachel: A submissive Liberal

Paula: Very left-wing, but also young and foolish

Olivia: Presents herself as similar to Paula, but really a neoliberal at best

Nicole: Presets herself as a strong breadwinner of the family and a pro-#MeToo feminist type, but really the worst kind of neoliberal Democrat

Season 2:

Harper is a strong liberal feminist, yet loses it over an obvious scumbag like Cameron (even before she suspected Ethan had cheated).

Alby: Naive male feminist

Alby's dad: Liberal

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2023 12:47 PM

[quote] Libertarians are Republicans who can spell.

Libertarians are Republicans on anti-psychotic meds.

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2023 1:00 PM

Harper seems like the type to keep her last name when she marries. The fact that she changed it is interesting. Mike White is too talented not to have done this for a specific reason. (the issue even gets brought up a little bit with Rachel in season one). I think it's Mike White's subtle way of saying that Harper isn't quite what she seems.

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2023 7:27 AM

"I'm not a right-winger by any means..."

Uh-huh.

Interesting that you thought the white people in season 1 were "liberals."

by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2023 7:46 AM

Season 3 is fucked. Now that it has to compete in the drama category (like it should have from the start), Season 4 of Succession is most likely going to shut it out of awards. Funny how HBO... er... Max, sometimes cannibalizes itself when it comes to awards fare.

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2023 8:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!