Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I quit my 9-to-5 job and became a professional thrift shopper

For fun 'n profit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 11:26 AM

Seems like an unreliable way to make a living.

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 12:20 AM

These motherfuckers have KILLED thrifting. Every damn thrift store I go to is over priced now. Ive been an avid thrifter for going on 50 years,and Ive never seen it like this . They all google search anything they remotely think is good,and it doesnt matter if the sold price they found was from 2009 ,thats what they price it as. Some even print out the info and tape it to the item . Yard sales are still ok,as are private run estate sales (I avoid the "professionally" run ones like the plague. Good thing Ive got no more room or Id be really bitter about it.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 1:08 AM

I agree with r2. Nowadays a lot of these thrift shops - now more than before - have window displays with overpriced vinyl or special editions so regular shoppers can't get to it.

Another thing is you will have these sellers/flippers standing in front of sections doing their price-checking/Ebay checking to see the going rate and determine whether or not to buy it.

I like to thrift, but for myself not for profit. It annoys me when these sellers take up space and time to do their business practices.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 1:19 AM

Thrifters probably hate this guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 1:22 AM

These types have ruined ethical clothes shopping for lower income people. We're forced to avail of fast fashion, and it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 2:43 AM

My local thrift stores don't have stuff that nice. Just rags... RAGS!

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 2:49 AM

Eeeewww ! Who looks for clothing in a thrift store ??? I wouldnt touch those nasty smelling rags,I dont care if fools pay good money for them. And Im in thrifts almost daily.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 2:51 AM

R7 needs must. Plus a very hot spin cycle done two or three times (or boiling hot kettles & detergent in a pinch) will kill the bugs.

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 2:53 AM

R8 - Also add Borox. These bitches are just insane though. Chipped plate? MINE! OMG! LOOK WHAT I FOUND! Is it the meth?

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 3:09 AM

I couldn’t do it. It would drive me nuts to go pick up a bunch of clothes at a thrift store and just have them hanging around in my house waiting to sell. I couldn’t stand the clutter.

I guess if I had a spare closet for them, but it all seems like a hassle.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 3:15 AM

They really have ruined thrift store shopping. I used to find tons of great vintage stuff at Goodwill, St. Vincent's etc. Now all that's left are the seriously ugly fashions from the 80s. Any nice vintage stuff is on a resale site or a "pop-up" vintage store at a hipster flea market.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 3:26 AM

R11- It is just a waste of time now, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 3:32 AM

The posters above saying that thrift stores are ruined are 100% correct. Have you been to the book section when you have people scanning the books with their phones to determine their worth? I overheard someone just the other day saying that he wears an earpiece connected to his phone to tell him the price. They’ve really taken the fun out of it for the rest of us. They’re most often rude too.

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 3:42 AM

I’d rather be a professional stripper. I’m sure there’s a market for me in some dying river town.

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 3:51 AM

That's crazy r13. But yes, I have seen people do that with Blu-Rays, DVDs and CDs, although, honestly, even though I am still a collector of physical media, I don't know how much one would really make off of a Blu-Ray or CD unless it's an out-of-print Criterion or special edition Blu-Ray that was limited.

It's usually vinyl sections where I see people doing that scanning. But it would make sense for books as well. I find it such a turn-off to see someone who is obviously scanning stuff for their own personal profit.

I used to thrift a lot and found lots of nice treasures, but post-Covid, I find it's more miss than hit.

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 7:27 AM

I gave it up totally and turned to other domains for "collecting". I started in HS and thrifted for over 3 decades.

Resellers were already present en masse in the 90s in the major cities anyway.

Of course internet technology changes a lot of things. I'm sorry for people who relied on thrift for their own personal wardrobe and home goods. I used to build my wardrobe through thrifting, too, when I was young.

Technology is going to accelerate the changes it brings to our lives and best to adapt and find a new interest that can give real pleasure consistently, rather than stress and disappoint and nostalgia for what was.

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 10:29 AM

"Technology is going to accelerate the changes it brings to our lives and best to adapt and find a new interest that can give real pleasure consistently, rather than stress and disappoint and nostalgia for what was."

Thank you wise and mighty Isis.

But don't you have a runaway bear you have to catch?

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 11:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!