Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sam Neill: I have blood cancer

Getting treatment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2023 1:04 PM

What's on his I-pod?

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2023 9:53 PM

Oh no. He’s one of the greats as well as an affable chap.

by Anonymousreply 2March 17, 2023 10:21 PM

Hope Sam's cancer stays cured. But cancer is often sneaky ... .

by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2023 10:26 PM

This is sad news. Hopefully he is well.

by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2023 10:34 PM

I always found him hot as fuck. Get well, Sam.

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2023 10:39 PM

Listened to his interview on Radio New Zealand this morning March 18th. He's good. (he's always a hard listen mind you, doesn't like talking about himself much).

by Anonymousreply 6March 17, 2023 10:46 PM

He had the remains of a hot ass, but he can't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 7March 17, 2023 11:01 PM

[quote] What's on his I-pod? —too soon?

You mean, too late? I-pods aren’t a thing anymore and haven’t been in decades.

by Anonymousreply 8March 17, 2023 11:09 PM

He’s 75??!

by Anonymousreply 9March 17, 2023 11:09 PM

Cancer treatments are more effective now than ever before. There is far more hope

by Anonymousreply 10March 17, 2023 11:11 PM

“The cancer is in remission according to Neill, but will require ongoing chemotherapy for the rest of his life”

The rest of his life?!

by Anonymousreply 11March 17, 2023 11:11 PM

Born in Ireland, raised in New Zealand. Has New Zealand and UK citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2023 11:12 PM

Oh, poor guy. I've always liked that handsome fella.

by Anonymousreply 13March 17, 2023 11:12 PM

Can I have his stuff?

You know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 14March 17, 2023 11:13 PM

Portia DRossi’s husband when she was closeted

by Anonymousreply 15March 17, 2023 11:13 PM

R15 No.

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 12:58 AM

Bet he wishes he returned sooner to the Jurassic dino franchise sooner.

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 1:11 AM

^ its not America....Australia and New Zealand have a Public Health system. Scripts on most drugs are $5.00. Sam may have to pay more if his cancer drug is not on the Pharmaceutical Benefit scheme list. I'm sure selling a few more bottles of his wine will help his bottom line.

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2023 1:26 AM

[quote]Scripts on most drugs are $5.00

Not in Australia! My prescriptions are heavily subsidised, but no, not $5.

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2023 10:53 AM

He’s still sexy and handsome.

I will buy his memoir and report back.

Already in the local papers the main report is that DL Fave Judy Davis hates him.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2023 10:54 AM

He needs to eat more red meat. That'll get him back on his feet boogying.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2023 10:59 AM

He pings to me. I always found him attractive in a way.

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2023 6:11 PM

[quote]You mean, too late? I-pods aren’t a thing anymore and haven’t been in decades.

Tell me you're new here without telling me you're new here.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2023 6:17 PM

[quote] And one of the more intriguing entries details his falling out – albeit unwitting – with the co-star who helped propel his career into the showbiz stratosphere in the first place: our very own Judy Davis.

[quote]From the outside looking in, it would seem Davis and Neill should have much in common: both actors of a certain vintage who have carved stellar global careers despite their antipodean roots. They have mixed in similar circles for decades and have both called Sydney home, on and off, for much of their lives. They even share the same Sydney agent: Shanahan’s.

[quote]Neill admits in his memoir that he had probably fallen a little in “love” with his former leading lady when they first met. But apparently those feelings were pretty much one-sided, and even then they were not to last. Neill discloses they have not spoken for nearly 30 years and suspects Davis avoids him whenever they are within close proximity.

[quote]The pair met on the set of My Brilliant Career in 1978 and ended up starring together in a slew of films, including the 1996 black comedy Children of the Revolution, which also starred Richard Roxburgh and Geoffrey Rush. It was on that set when Neill finally accepted the fact Davis was just not that into him.

[quote]“It was predictably awkward as hell working with Judy, but as always, I told myself it was worth it,” he writes, revealing he had previously smoothed on-set tensions between Davis and directors on productions they had worked on, maintaining his unerring faith in her talent was more than enough to justify his support.

[quote]“Towards the end, I realised that for some reason she wasn’t talking to me. Not even ‘good morning’ in the make-up trailer.

[quote]“I’m often slow to realise these things, but I reluctantly came to understand that it really wasn’t worth it at all. Not at all. Her last faithful supporter iced. We have never spoken again. I sometimes spot her in a foyer, and I see her sharply look away. I have nothing to say to her anyway.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2023 11:22 PM

I first saw him in Reilly, Ace of Spies. So, very handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2023 11:53 PM

Isn't that what I did of? No one every really said.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2023 12:08 AM

Lock up your gays and your girls: Sam Neill is single.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 30, 2023 12:21 PM

[quote]The pair met on the set of My Brilliant Career in 1978 and ended up starring together in a slew of films, including the 1996 black comedy Children of the Revolution, which also starred Richard Roxburgh and Geoffrey Rush. It was on that set when Neill finally accepted the fact Davis was just not that into him.

If it took him 18 years to get the message she was not that into him, I'd suggest that would try the patience of a considerably less waspish personality than Davis. Not to mention that she married Colin Friels in 1984, they had two children and they are still married, all of which you'd think might have given him a hint.

by Anonymousreply 28March 30, 2023 12:34 PM

You can read the passage about Davis in a tabloid style and conclude he's a lunatic, but it sounds more boring than that. His attraction to her in the late '70s had waned. He had other relationships and a marriage himself afterward. But he remained enchanted by her talent and put up with her temper because of it. When she stopped being civil even to him, he realized years of defending her had gone unappreciated.

Here's a largely forgotten interlude from the Davis-Friels marriage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2023 1:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!