Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sharon Stone says she 'lost half' of her money due to bank fallout

Sharon Stone says she "lost half" of her fortune to a bad "banking thing," presumably referring to the fallout from the Silicon Valley Bank collapse.

The Basic Instinct actress and activist 65, attended Thursday's Women's Cancer Research Fund's An Unforgettable Evening in Beverly Hills, where she was the recipient of the Courage Award and addressed the star-studded crowd. She spoke about the organization and its contributions to cancer research, infusing personal comments into her remarks, including those about her finances.

While encouraging attendees to donate more to the charity, she said, at points in tears, "I know that thing that you have to get on and figure out how to text the money is difficult. I'm a technical idiot, but I can write a f****ing check. And right now, that’s courage, too, because I know what’s happening. I just lost half my money to this banking thing, and that doesn’t mean that I’m not here."

She didn't state exactly what "banking thing" she meant, but less than a week ago, Silicon Valley Bank collapsed, marking the second-largest bank failure in U.S. history. It has resulted in financial market volatility.

Stone prefaced her comments at the event by saying that she usually speaks "off the cuff because, as you well know, I don’t give a s***," but she had notes last night.

While acknowledging breast cancer survivors in the room, and discussing mammograms, she revealed she was once told she had had breast cancer, "because I had a tumor that was larger than my breast." While it ended up being misdiagnosed, "I went to the hospital saying, 'If you open me up and it’s cancer, please take both my breasts,' because I am not a person defined by my breasts. You know, that might seem funny coming from me since you’ve all seen ’em.

Stone, who wrote in her 2021 memoir about having surgery to remove tumors from her breasts in the 1990s, continued, "You’ve all seen ’em since the surgery and you don’t even know it. So don’t ever feel compelled not to get a mammogram, not to get a blood test, not to get surgery because it doesn’t matter. I'm standing here telling you I had one-and-a-half and more tissue of my breasts removed and none of you knew it."

Stone, who suffered a near-fatal stroke in 2001, also mentioned her late brother, Patrick Stone, who died in February at age 57 due to heart disease.

"My brother just died, and that doesn’t mean that I'm not here," she said of activism. "This is not an easy time for any of us. This is a hard time in the world, but I’m telling you what, I’m not having some politician tell me what I can and cannot do. How I can and cannot live, and what the value of my life is and is not. So stand up. Stand up and say what you’re worth. I dare you. That’s what courage is."

The event, held at the Four Seasons Beverly Wilshire, drew celebrities including Rebel Wilson and fiancée Ramona Agruma, Lisa Rinna and Harry Hamlin, Julianne Hough, Lori Loughlin and daughter Olivia Jade Giannulli, Kathy and Rick Hilton, Nia Vardalos, Paul Wesley and more. Maroon 5 performed with Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo, also hitting the red carpet.

Stone has long been known for her candor — and recently revealed that when she lost custody of her son in the 1990s, it was a result of her 1992 film Basic Instinct. On iHeartRadio's Table for Two podcast this month, she said she lost custody of Roan Bronstein, now 22, because of her nude scene in the film. She recalled the judge asking the boy at the time if he knew his mom "makes sex movies." After losing custody, she experienced heart problems, experiencing "extra heartbeats in my upper and lower chamber of my heart." Stone is also mom to Laird Stone, 17, and Quinn Stone, 16.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 20, 2023 12:33 PM

She looks the best of any actress over 50. Hot bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2023 7:51 PM

What's half of nothing?

by Anonymousreply 2March 17, 2023 7:52 PM

What is wrong with her? Non stop complaining. Zero solutions.

by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2023 7:56 PM

Poor dear.

Please post the link to her GoFundMe so that I may tell her GoFuckYourself.

by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2023 7:58 PM

R4 🤣

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2023 8:00 PM

First she says she lost custody of her kid because she flashed her cooze in a movie, now she says she lost half her money because SVB collapsed?

by Anonymousreply 6March 17, 2023 8:01 PM

She looks stunning in OP's photo

by Anonymousreply 7March 17, 2023 8:02 PM

It's hyperbole, it's bullshit. Who the hell keeps more than the $250K insured by the FDIC limit in any one bank? I can't wrap my head around that.

by Anonymousreply 8March 17, 2023 8:08 PM

[quote] It's hyperbole, it's bullshit. Who the hell keeps more than the $250K insured by the FDIC limit in any one bank?

Peter Thiel, apparently.

$50,000,000.

[quote] Peter Thiel said he had $50 million in a personal account at Silicon Valley Bank when it collapsed, despite telling his portfolio companies to pull their money

Despite advising clients to pull their cash from Silicon Valley Bank last week, Peter Thiel, a billionaire tech mogul, said that he had a large sum of his own money tied up in the doomed bank when it collapsed on Friday.

"I had $50 million of my own money stuck in SVB," he told the Financial Times.

Thiel, an influential figure in Silicon Valley and a co-founder of both PayPal and Palantir, has been widely blamed for adding momentum to the bank run that triggered Silicon Valley Bank's implosion; one day before the bank's failure, Thiel's venture firm, Founders Fund, advised all clients to pull their deposits out.

However, Thiel told the FT that he did not believe the SVB would fail last week.

Other venture capital firms — including Coatue Management, Union Square Ventures, and Founder Collective — had similarly advised startup clients to transfer money from SVB after the bank revealed a $1.8 billion loss and the bank's share price collapsed.

These firms have pushed back against accusations that they were spreading panic, saying that they were giving financial advice they believed would be in the best interest of their clients.

In a statement provided to Axios, Neil Ruthven, the CFO of Founders Fund, said that on "Thursday morning it was clear we were in the middle of a bank run, and we reacted in line with our fiduciary duties."

Thiel told the FT that his account was frozen on Friday when regulators stepped in and took control of the bank. However, it is once again accessible after the US government stepped in earlier this week and shored up all customer deposits in SVB.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 17, 2023 8:12 PM

I thought everyone’s deposits would be covered, but if you lost money on SVB stock, you were fucked.

But I’m a dunce, so.

by Anonymousreply 10March 17, 2023 8:13 PM

So did Peter Thiel happen to buy a bunch of SVB stock when it was super cheap? Why would you tell everyone to get the hell out, but you stay behind? As I said, I’m a dunce. But that doesn’t make sense. And why would you admit it so readily?

by Anonymousreply 11March 17, 2023 8:17 PM

[quote] Why would you tell everyone to get the hell out, but you stay behind?

Exactly what I was wondering, after reading this story!!!!

It makes no sense, and I think he's full of shit.

Unless he basically took a loss of $50 million, so that his friends could escape with their money.

Then he could later say, "But see, I lost money too!" It makes it look like he was also a "victim," and not guilty of insider information.

by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2023 8:21 PM

Mensa, huh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 17, 2023 8:32 PM

She looks better at 64 than GOOP at 50.

by Anonymousreply 14March 17, 2023 8:33 PM

^^Or Cate Blanchett at 53

by Anonymousreply 15March 17, 2023 8:35 PM

The bank has enough assets to sell off to cover 90+% of deposits, so though it may take a while, the vast majority of depositors will get their funds back.

by Anonymousreply 16March 17, 2023 9:17 PM

Me! ME! MEEEE!!! Everything is about ME!

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2023 9:51 PM

Peter Thiel is a quisling, a gay man who supports Trump and the MAGAts. Fuck him. I wish it were possible for him to become actually penniless. He should die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2023 12:31 AM

She’s addicted to drama. She’s almost died a million times, she’s been lied to by directors, almost lost custody of her son, almost had her husband killed by a dragon… was a member of Mensa…

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2023 2:41 AM

Her face could use a little work.

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2023 2:57 AM

She well preserved

by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2023 3:03 AM

No idea if this is true, sad if it is. However Stone has a pattern of histrionic narcissism. She loves experiencing, overcoming and talking about a huge personal catastrophe.

by Anonymousreply 22March 18, 2023 3:13 AM

R1 Michelle Pfeiffer looks even younger. Both look gorgeous though.

by Anonymousreply 23March 18, 2023 3:14 AM

Stone is beautiful in OP's linked pic. I googled and she's 65. Stunning.

by Anonymousreply 24March 18, 2023 3:16 AM

Sure, Sharon.

by Anonymousreply 25March 18, 2023 3:17 AM

R19 there does seem to be a weird vortex of drama surrounding her. Does anyone remember when it was publicized that she was a type 1 diabetic, but she later said this was some strange rumor that got started about her? I always found that extremely weird. How would something like that even become a rumor in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 26March 18, 2023 3:22 AM

If Sharon Stone were a Real Housewife, she would 100% be Aviva.

by Anonymousreply 27March 18, 2023 3:55 AM

Cast actresses as RHONY - that should be a thread of its own.

Who would be Bethenny and who would be Kelly and who would be Carole?

by Anonymousreply 28March 18, 2023 4:07 AM

This twat is quite economical with the truth, especially at a podium.

by Anonymousreply 29March 18, 2023 4:18 AM

At least she didn’t get “Made offed” like Kevin Bacon!

by Anonymousreply 30March 18, 2023 4:23 AM

[quote] I thought everyone’s deposits would be covered, but if you lost money on SVB stock, you were fucked. But I’m a dunce, so.

You're not a dunce, you are spot on. The only way she could have lost money on SVB is if she owned its stock.

by Anonymousreply 31March 18, 2023 4:25 AM

She still a Rich Bitch, and I resent that.

by Anonymousreply 32March 18, 2023 4:26 AM

I was at this event last night, believe it or not. La Stone looks radiant and statuesque in person, but she is - how to put it - extremely intense. I met her very briefly, but she has a stare ala Medusa and an *extremely* firm handshake. She perched herself on the stairs after her speech, and engaged people in what appeared to be very deep conversations. When other guests would stop by to try and say hello, she would remain fixed on the person to whom she was speaking and wave them off with her hand.

by Anonymousreply 33March 18, 2023 4:45 AM

Sharon Stone had a star power that you don't find in any actresses of today.

by Anonymousreply 34March 18, 2023 5:11 AM

R34 True. She’s an old school movie star, the likes of which we will never see again.

by Anonymousreply 35March 18, 2023 5:14 AM

She’s nuts. Always making up lies.

by Anonymousreply 36March 18, 2023 6:16 AM

Which half?

by Anonymousreply 37March 18, 2023 6:21 AM

Given Thiel is a major investor in longevity research biotech companies, that bitch intends on livin FOREVER.

He'd be taking everything going.

by Anonymousreply 38March 18, 2023 6:37 AM

Now that she’s broke, we know what’s coming next….

Basic Instinct 3: Revenge of the Cobwebbed Cooter

by Anonymousreply 39March 18, 2023 6:56 AM

I liked Basic Instinct II. And not ironically.

by Anonymousreply 40March 18, 2023 6:58 AM

[quote] She’s an old school movie star, the likes of which we will never see again.

I'm still here, GODDAMMIT!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 18, 2023 6:59 AM

Have she and Miss Dunaway managed to maintain their friendship, or was there just TOO MUCH CRAZY?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 18, 2023 7:11 AM

All depositors were made or are being made whole; this includes those with funds in excess of $250k FDIC limit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 18, 2023 7:21 AM

If people are asking was or is it wise to bail out the multi-millionaire tech guys and fund managers; well that's another matter.

Note however this is being done under a democrat POTUS administration. Surprise, surprise! Obviously Yellen et al know or see something many others don't or won't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 18, 2023 7:23 AM

She's always taking some bullshit since the stroke. Actually, she was doing it before that at well.

by Anonymousreply 45March 18, 2023 7:23 AM

It's a little odd that everyone is comparing Stone's appearance here to Paltrow's from her recent video. In that video, Paltrow was wearing no makeup and was poorly lit, and here Sharon Stone has enough makeup on to qualify for a RuPaul competition series, and she's professionally photographed.

She's always been a stunningly beautiful woman—certainly more so than Gwyneth to begin with—but it's a very apples-and-oranges comparison to pit a professionally made up, lit and photographed person against someone who appears to have crawled out of bed and sat in front of a camera.

by Anonymousreply 46March 18, 2023 9:41 AM

The first thing I think about when I see Sharon Stone is her voice. It's funny given that she's appreciated for her face, but it's really the tone of her voice that I find mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 47March 18, 2023 9:42 AM

I liked her but all these constant dramas make me roll my eyes more and more.

by Anonymousreply 48March 18, 2023 11:12 AM

[quote] Obviously Yellen et al know or see something many others don't or won't.

There were several Chinese companies who had money in SVB. Biden is China’s bitch so he’s going to help them in every way.

by Anonymousreply 49March 18, 2023 12:06 PM

She’s a nutty woman who doesn’t have much clue what she’s talking about. But she always looks good and she’s charismatic and entertaining. I see her aging into someone like Cher… not particularly talented but has real star power when she appears on a stage or a red carpet.

by Anonymousreply 50March 18, 2023 12:13 PM

She’s someone who did plastic surgery right. She looks good and natural for her age. She’s not trying to pretend she’s 28.

by Anonymousreply 51March 18, 2023 12:16 PM

I agree she looks very good considering all her health dramas too.

by Anonymousreply 52March 18, 2023 2:17 PM

She just needs to flash her pussy again, and she'll be rolling in dough.

by Anonymousreply 53March 18, 2023 5:12 PM

R33 I love that La Stone is just as steely and imperious as I imagined. SPILL about the other celebrities there!

by Anonymousreply 54March 18, 2023 5:19 PM

Yeah, she is crazy , i follow in instagram and the level of drama is cringeworthy. Like everyone said she is both beautiful and a liar. All this and the alleged loss of money should make her eligible for a Crawfordesque b-movie second career moment, full of histrionics and a hatchett.

by Anonymousreply 55March 18, 2023 5:37 PM

[quote]What is wrong with her? Non stop complaining.

No, non stop LYING.

by Anonymousreply 56March 18, 2023 6:15 PM

[quote]She's always taking some bullshit since the stroke

Are you sure the "stroke" wasn't some of her bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 57March 18, 2023 6:18 PM

And the other half is tied up in Komodo Dragon interest

by Anonymousreply 58March 18, 2023 6:40 PM

I know we throw this BBC around a lot on DL but I think she has a pretty severe personality disorder.

by Anonymousreply 59March 19, 2023 7:08 PM

Ignore the BBC no idea why that got in there.

by Anonymousreply 60March 19, 2023 7:08 PM

She also had a near death experience which was pretty dramatic sounding

by Anonymousreply 61March 19, 2023 7:23 PM

She's finally starting to look somewhat plastic. Very noticeable cheek implants and frozen upper face in OP's pic. For many many years though she managed to look both age-defying and remarkably natural.

by Anonymousreply 62March 19, 2023 8:15 PM

What has she been doing lately? She's not a bad actress and still gorgeous, she should be doing more movies or tv. But kudos to her for retaining her star power regardless.

by Anonymousreply 63March 19, 2023 8:26 PM

Insanity can cause unemployment, R63.

by Anonymousreply 64March 20, 2023 12:23 AM

[quote] Lori Loughlin and daughter Olivia Jade Giannulli

Who let these whores back into polite society?

by Anonymousreply 65March 20, 2023 12:25 AM

Not much of a list. “The event drew celebrities including Rebel Wilson and fiancée Ramona Agruma, Lisa Rinna and Harry Hamlin, Julianne Hough, Lori Loughlin and daughter Olivia Jade Giannulli, Kathy and Rick Hilton, Nia Vardalos, Paul Wesley and more. Maroon 5 performed with Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo, also hitting the red carpet.”

by Anonymousreply 66March 20, 2023 12:34 AM

Now she could play Norma Desmond in an updated Sunset Blvd

by Anonymousreply 67March 20, 2023 10:54 AM

This is her them song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 20, 2023 12:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!