Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay man sends mass email to his family demanding they stop voting for Republicans

On Tuesday night, Ryan Short, a gay man living in Seattle, Washington, spoke to his dad on the phone. During the conversation, his dad, Richard Short, an 80-year-old retired war veteran living in Dallas, Texas, told his son he's still a Republican.

"We were just having one of our random catch-ups and he just casually said, 'I'm still Republican,'" Short told Insider.

Short asked if he still supported the party despite its recent rhetoric against LGBTQ people.

His dad said "yes."

The comment prompted Short to pen an email on Wednesday to dozens of family members asking them to stop voting for the GOP to support him and his other queer family members.

"Hear me clearly — you cannot vote for the GOP and continue to have a relationship with me. No exceptions. I am inviting no dialogue, and I have no interest in nuance," Short said in the email, shared with Insider.

Being 42-years-old and self-described "middle-aged," Short said he didn't want to"waste any more time on things that aren't bringing light to my life."

"The safety and peace of me, my husband, and my community is baseline, non-negotiable, and unrelated to politics," Short wrote. "To vote GOP is to divide the family."

Short told Insider: "This letter was a boundary, not a persuasion. It was not intended to persuade anyone."

After he hit send, Short posted a screenshot of the email to Twitter, along with a text conversation with a family member who initially did not respond positively.

"My letter. Sent with prideful power," Short wrote.

The post has since racked up more than 15,000 likes and more than 3,000 retweets on the platform.

Some backed Short for setting the ultimatum.

"Thank you for posting so others can use your experience as a resource," LA-based actress Sarah Greyson replied. "I'm sorry you had to say it, but it needed to be said!"

"I'm very sorry you had to send this," another user commented, saying they wanted to be a "fly on the wall" when the email is read.

But other commenters argued he went too far.

"It's sad that you're willing to discard the most important love you will ever receive like that," one wrote.

Since posting the email on Twitter, Short told Insider that people — college kids, "trans 20-somethings" — began messaging him asking if they could copy what he wrote to send to their own families. One person asked if they could put the letter in a Google Doc to share it.

"I was like, 'go for it, man, like open-source that shit! We're only free if we're all free.'"

Ultimately, Short is glad about what he did, telling Insider "I came quickly to a place of feeling very proud for putting that message out there. Especially once people said they wanted to copy and paste this to help their situation."

Short said his family isn't homophobic and he has numerous LGBTQ relatives.

"We don't have anyone in my family that doesn't like the queer family, or doesn't support issues, it's just one specific action of voting for the people that do."

"It becomes clear that defending queer and trans rights is necessary to defend our very family itself," Short said.

Short told Insider that nearly everyone on the email chain responded positively and confirmed they would no longer be voting for Republicans as he asked.

But initially, his father, Richard, said he reacted negatively and "quickly, without thinking."

Richard Short said he didn't understand what he read until after the fact when his wife and another friend explained it to him. Ultimately, he agreed to stop backing Republican candidates and he and his son reconciled.

"Family is family," Richard Short told Insider.

He said he feels happy, "sincerely and truthfully," about agreeing to his son's request.

"Being a hard head, I'm a little bit hard to get through to," Richard Short said. "But then I'm one of these people, I'll sit back, reflect and think on what I said, and I'm very quick to apologize."

Not only did Richard Short agree to never vote Republican again, but he also resigned from the Republican Club he belongs to in Collin County, Texas, he told Insider Thursday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279March 25, 2023 2:48 PM

That man needs therapy. You do not get to demand other people cater to you.

The father is probably still voting republican and just lying about it.

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2023 11:04 AM

Why yes, other people should think and say only what we want them to do at all times, no exceptions, no debate.

by Anonymousreply 2March 17, 2023 11:09 AM

I mean...how old is this guy? Maybe his father told him "OKAY, I'll do it" just to get him off the phone.

Hell, I would

by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2023 11:12 AM

[quote]"It becomes clear that defending queer and trans rights is necessary to defend our very family itself," Short said.

Queer and trans. Of course, that's all that matters. Queer and trans. Not gay men, not women. Queer and trans.

by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2023 11:13 AM

Performance art.

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2023 11:20 AM

Threatening to cut off your octogenarian parents because of how they vote doesn’t really seem very heroic.

But of course he’s basking in the accolades.

by Anonymousreply 6March 17, 2023 11:20 AM

Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 7March 17, 2023 11:22 AM

We HAD a thread on this which got deleted, I assume because rightwingers were crying in their soup about it. It was full of actual gays who had to cut out homophobes in their lives at various times.

Notice that this replacement thread is all assholes saying that you should be nice to Repugs who want to take away all your rights.

by Anonymousreply 8March 17, 2023 11:23 AM

R8 No-one is saying you should be "nice" to anyone, we're saying it's cunty to expect other people to do and think what YOU want for fear of losing you. It is emotional blackmail pure and simple.

Christ, your thinking is so pathetically black and white. You comment all over DL threads with the same tired shit day in and day out. You clearly have zero critically thinking skills and everything is some kind of right wing conspiracy to destroy you personally. Get over yourself and realise that your myopic worldview is just that. Also realise that just because someone doesn't agree with the way someone does something (like the man sending this email and expecting a fucking parade for it) it doesn't mean they support the thing the person is fighting or arguing against. They are not mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 9March 17, 2023 11:37 AM

Please forgive a straight woman for interjecting.

I’m a longtime lurker who enjoys the gossip and the news scoops as well as the snark and the banter here. As a rule I only post, very rarely, in innocuous threads, like what’s your favorite comedy and stuff like that. Im fully aware this site isn’t meant for me and I respect that.

But this topic is too important to me.

I’m the proud and loving mom of a gay man. And by choice and extension, his partner. I would not change a thing about my son. As I told him years ago, if God had come to me when I was pregnant and told me this is your son, here is everything you need to know, he’s brilliant, he’s funny, he’s kind, he’s got a big mouth. Do you want him? I would have said of course. If God had said by the way, he’s gay, do you still want him? I would have said, gay is not an issue, but can you do something about his mouth?

Even with his mouth, he’s everything I want in a son and he’s the perfect son for me.

In 2016 I made it clear, anyone who votes Republican has no place in my life. You support Trump, you’re taking a stand against my son. You vote Republican, you’re voting against my son. Fuck off, we don’t need you and we don’t want you.

It shouldn’t just be up to the gay children to take this stand. Their parents should be taking it too. I just don’t understand any parent that can’t or won’t.

I’ve said my piece and I’ll go back into the shadows now.

by Anonymousreply 10March 17, 2023 12:06 PM

You're lovely, R10!!

We should all be so lucky to have someone like you as a parent.

*smooches*

by Anonymousreply 11March 17, 2023 12:08 PM

R10 nice.

by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2023 12:28 PM

Nor children, r4…especially the ones who get bullied just for seeming like they might be gay.

by Anonymousreply 13March 17, 2023 12:36 PM

His Dad's name is Richard.

by Anonymousreply 14March 17, 2023 12:36 PM

In other words, lonely, fat, almost elder gay man throws hissy fit via email.

by Anonymousreply 15March 17, 2023 12:38 PM

Bless. I know him. Well, I knew him ten years ago and twenty pounds ago. He's a well-meaning, civic-minded chap with a generous endowment.

by Anonymousreply 16March 17, 2023 12:41 PM

The Republican Party no longer stands for small government, individual responsibility, or a strong foreign policy -- all positions I hold dear!

No. Today, the Republican Party believes asinine, moronic, and dangerous conspiracies about the government, seeks to control all aspects of individual lives, and is isolationist. It no longer holds the values I mentioned above.

Moreover, it is in thrall not only to a racist, sexist, irresponsible imbecile, but to a large sector of the electorate and other elected officials (who are all racist, sexist, irresponsible imbeciles) who don't give a fig for the Constitution or the rule of law. They either ignore or embrace what clearly happened on January 6, 2021...an armed mob stormed the Capitol to overturn the election. It was an insurrection.

The Republican party today has adopted the tactics and beliefs of fascist parties.

It needs to implode. Then, we can rebuild a sane, respectful conservative political party that adhere to the Constitution and the rule of law.

I will not vote republican until that happens. If others vote republican, they have no respect for me or people like me. I'm a gay man. I am part of the LGBT community. LBT individuals are my brothers and sisters. I may not understand what it means to be transgender -- indeed I may question some identifying as such -- but I will fight tooth and nail for them. Because their enemies will come after me, too. And because it's their right to be and to live who they are just as sacrosanct as my right to live openly as a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2023 12:42 PM

The Democratic Party no longer stands for women & gays. They want to eradicate both. They want men in women’s bathrooms, DV shelters, prisons & sports teams. They want gender nonconforming children drugged & mutilated.

by Anonymousreply 18March 17, 2023 12:49 PM

BonniePrinceCharlie, R17, you said it the best. I couldn't agree more. That party has really gone off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 19March 17, 2023 12:51 PM

He has stated BOUNDARIES and will NOT be compromised!!

by Anonymousreply 20March 17, 2023 12:56 PM

“Fuck every one of you stupid cunts Twitter will love me!”

by Anonymousreply 21March 17, 2023 1:06 PM

I actually think it’s a pretty decent letter though. 🥺

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 17, 2023 1:12 PM

My widowed dad (lives in Sugar Land, TX) started seeing a woman about a year ago. She told him, “I have to warn you: I’m a Christian and a Republican*.” He replied, “Well, I can forgive you for one of those.”

*she hates Trump and is pro-vaccine. She’s a country club Bush Republican, which is bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 23March 17, 2023 1:13 PM

Disagree with R1 and totally support the letter writer. You might not be able to demand people cater to you, but that's not what he did at all... he simply stated his position and gave people the option to support him vs support his enemies. Everyone was given choices. He explained why the republicans are OUR enemies. Take it or leave it... it's up to the recipient, not the writer.

by Anonymousreply 24March 17, 2023 1:20 PM

[quote]I will not vote republican until that happens.

Did you [italic]ever[/italic] vote republican, r17? (Say it isn't so, Princey.)

by Anonymousreply 25March 17, 2023 1:26 PM

You only get one father.

But fortunately you get thousands of strangers on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 26March 17, 2023 1:30 PM

Personally I don't react well to people who deliver ultimatums to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 17, 2023 1:40 PM

I was raised not to discuss politics, religion or money.

by Anonymousreply 28March 17, 2023 1:56 PM

I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thing but that guy needs to be less concerned about how gampy votes and more concerned with that travesty of a hairstyle. And those ear gauges? Gross.

by Anonymousreply 29March 17, 2023 1:58 PM

R25, yes, but I have not voted Republican in years (decades?).

I respect Adam Kinzinger and Liz Cheney...one or two others (Christine Todd Whitman, for example)).

But the Republican party is doing more than just flirting with fascism today.

When discussing the Nazi period, German historians discuss the various shades of support for the Nazis among all sectors of Germany -- a highly complex, modern, sophisticated nation. Even if the people were not rabidly anti-semitic, they supported a government who initiated a policy of isolating and then eliminating a targeted group.

I've had discussions before about what this fellow wrote. The Republican party today is targeting a clearly defined group...isolating them...removing their civil rights. Is it that far-fetched to imagine them initiating a policy of eliminating them?

R25, I cannot in good conscience vote Republican today. And I choose not to be too close to those who do so. I have Republican relatives. Will I go as far as this fellow? No. But I avoid discussions with them about many topics apart from the food we're eating, films, novels, or sports. Even the weather has become an avoided topic, because I have one in-law who denies climate change.

by Anonymousreply 30March 17, 2023 2:30 PM

Personally, I would not ask anyone to support the trans rights movement for my sake as there is so much about that movement that I find questionable myself.

by Anonymousreply 31March 17, 2023 2:33 PM

He’s lucky his parents didn’t disown him, throw him out of the house because he’s gay, etc. What an ingrate.

by Anonymousreply 32March 17, 2023 2:35 PM

Didn’t Christine Todd Whitman fuck up with the air quality in NYC after 9/11?

by Anonymousreply 33March 17, 2023 2:36 PM

r30 Princey, you're back in the fold.

by Anonymousreply 34March 17, 2023 2:38 PM

At some point we all have to draw those lines in the sand. This isn't about petty political bickering; the Republicans are well on their way to being full-fledged committed Nazis. They are trying to — and succeeding in some cases — outlaw people, not crimes. They embrace criminals, con men, liars and just plain old creeps. They deny reality and expect everyone to respect their opinions despite obvious truth (for example, claiming that J6 was "legitimate political discourse").

Either we fight now or we suffer the consequences later.

by Anonymousreply 35March 17, 2023 2:45 PM

I’m gonna tell my folks to stop being so woke. DL TOLD ME TO.

by Anonymousreply 36March 17, 2023 2:50 PM

I've learned to pick and choose my battles in my personal life. Sending a letter to the Repugs in my family would put a target on my back and possibly end in violence. It's not worth it, imo.

While I still remain cordial for family gettogethers, weddings, funerals, I've also made it known that anyone who chooses to support politicians that want me, my future partner, my community to be subhuman is out of my life. Thankfully, this group is small and doesn't include my immediate family, but I've cut off a few cousins, aunts and uncles over this. They can die alone in their misery.

by Anonymousreply 37March 17, 2023 2:57 PM

It’s better to just become avoidant and ‘too busy’ to interact or visit besides the bare polite minimum to keep your inheritance. Avoid the confrontation and move on. They’ve shown who they are so asking for tolerance just makes you look weak. It’s 2023, and they know what they’re doing. Odds are they’ll also lie to you about ‘seeing the light’ and not voting Republican, and that makes you a chump.

by Anonymousreply 38March 17, 2023 3:34 PM

You have to learn to deal with people you don’t agree with. As long as everyone is civil you need to deal with it. Living in a bubble shouldn’t be an option.

by Anonymousreply 39March 17, 2023 3:47 PM

Remember when the news reported news, and family spats were family spats?

by Anonymousreply 40March 17, 2023 4:00 PM

^ And ladies wore hats and gloves, and people dressed up when flying?

by Anonymousreply 41March 17, 2023 4:01 PM

I tried that multiple times (sending emails to maga relatives). It doesn’t work

by Anonymousreply 42March 17, 2023 4:04 PM

I was in an email group with my siblings and cousins (this started during Covid, as a way to update each other on our lives). My brother sent out an email about Bernie Sanders (how we all need to vote for him), which triggered someone else to express his support for Trump. I didn't appreciate ANY of it.

by Anonymousreply 43March 17, 2023 4:09 PM

A someone estranged from my parents for several years, I don't like seeing estrangement treated so cavalierly. It's callous and shallow.

by Anonymousreply 44March 17, 2023 4:17 PM

[quote]my future partner

Ick. You're part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 45March 17, 2023 4:20 PM

He’s a fat.

by Anonymousreply 46March 17, 2023 4:21 PM

He’s not very “queer and trans friendly” if he’s still posting this shit on Twitter. He’s still very much supporting the GOP agenda if he’s posting this shit on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 47March 17, 2023 4:23 PM

Reading the letter, it sounds like this guy is in a family that is receptive to hearing his message. He points out all the people in their circle of family and friends who are at risk as the result of current Republican anti-gay policy. You can’t claim to support and love your relatives and friends while voting in a way that puts these same people in the crosshairs of a culture war. This is a hypocritical stance, yet one that many people take because they’ve “always voted Republican” or whatever. It’s not whiny or unreasonable for someone to expect his relatives, who say they love him, to vote in a way that protects his safety, rather than putting him at risk.

I can fully sympathize with someone who doesn’t want to maintain contact with family members who are nice to his face and stab him in the back in the voting booth. It’s not wrong for him to ask his family to consider this, and bringing the topic out in the open invites dialogue. Sharing this publicly invites public dialogue in families dealing with the same thing. Mine is!

People can be quick to recommend cutting off family members, but civil rights are under attack and people who mindlessly vote Republican are endorsing these attacks. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect someone who is at risk to shut up and keep the peace. You don’t have to maintain relationships with people whose behavior shows they hate you.

Good for this guy’s dad for being willing to set a strong example. I’m sure his political club was engaging for him and it’s hard to change tracks in your eighties. He’s showing that what he values most is his son.

by Anonymousreply 48March 17, 2023 4:23 PM

He's also bipolar per his Twitter bio.

[quote]Queer supremacy. I sneak cheese. Bipolar. Married to the sea. NSFW. #ACAB #BLM. Abortion on Demand. Cheers 🏳️‍⚧️🍺🎮⛵️🛍

And his pinned tweet [quote]My goal this year is to be a hot dumb slut.

If I were his gay relative, even though I did like his letter in the abstract, I'd be like holy shit hold your horses and don't lecture ME, crazypants.

by Anonymousreply 49March 17, 2023 4:23 PM

"A man convinced against his will

Is of the same opinion still."

I'm guessing this guy's father cares about him. If not, he would have received that letter and said, "Go pound sand, f_g."

If this guy hadn't been surrounded for decades by an echo chamber, he would have had the fortitude to sit down and listen to his father's opinion EVEN IF he disagreed with it 100%. Then he would have been able to deliver his own opinion, explaining to his father how he was hurting his own son with his vote.

His dad is old enough to remember when people who disagreed would either hash it out or just agree to disagree. But in his son's world, everyone's settled into their little Twitter-Reddit-Instagram-TikTok cocoons, where grand gestures of disowning are applauded and upvoted, and dissent is expunged.

It's not making activists stronger, it's making them more brittle. That's a sad, and scary, development.

by Anonymousreply 50March 17, 2023 4:33 PM

All the Klan Grannies bitching about there being any consequences to their bigotry.

Younger people don't automatically feel they have to have a relationship with angry old racist parents, especially if there's no money.

Stay mad, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 51March 17, 2023 4:42 PM

R44

Are you thinking of going NO CONTACT? My Patreon is open so we can talk in private.

*rictus grin*

by Anonymousreply 52March 17, 2023 4:42 PM

[quote]Sending a letter to the Repugs in my family would put a target on my back and possibly end in violence. ... I've also made it known [my bigoted relatives are] ...out of my life.

Well, such a big difference there! I don't mean to be flip, and I'm confident your way of handling it works for you. Some relatives are dense and don't pick up on the clues (like you not showing up for a family to do after being insulted at the last one), and then, of course, acting all butt-hurt when someone says "Frank didn't come because you're a hate-filled bigot."

The truth hurts.

by Anonymousreply 53March 17, 2023 4:43 PM

I suspect that guy has always behaved like an hysterical woman so they probably don't pay much attention to his hissy fits anyway.

by Anonymousreply 54March 17, 2023 4:51 PM

He got the other thread about this deleted because he was being made fun of.

by Anonymousreply 55March 17, 2023 4:56 PM

r55

by Anonymousreply 56March 17, 2023 4:57 PM

Another white gay male progressive.

by Anonymousreply 57March 17, 2023 4:59 PM

r55 Greg should reveal where his recipes come from in his OP. That would have made all the difference in the IMPG* thread. There's no shame to it.

*IMPG = Instant Mashed Potato Gnocchi

by Anonymousreply 58March 17, 2023 5:02 PM

There are many reasons why people should not vote republican let alone gay issues.

by Anonymousreply 59March 17, 2023 5:16 PM

Perhaps he can be a new cheerleader for Queer, Inc.

by Anonymousreply 60March 17, 2023 6:26 PM

Best way to get yourself removed from Christmas Card lists and those horrid "Annual Family Catch-up Letter" inserts.

by Anonymousreply 61March 17, 2023 6:30 PM

He’s married to the scene. He probably transition into being a mermaid.

by Anonymousreply 62March 17, 2023 6:31 PM

no dialogue, no nuance.... his words. Not sure it's productive or effective to tell anyone how to vote. He could have made an effort to be convincing but that would have required thought. I do understand why he sent it

by Anonymousreply 63March 17, 2023 7:06 PM

R49 Isn’t this man in his 40s?!?!

by Anonymousreply 64March 17, 2023 7:18 PM

A lot of criticism for the letter writer living in a bubble built on identify politics, but have any of you suggesting that this guy should keep his thoughts to himself actually tried talking to Republican friends and family members in recent years? I’ve had many conversations of the type R50 recommends: quietly and politely listening to someone I care about explain their views, and respectfully recognizing I can’t reason them out of positions they didn’t reason themselves into. When it comes to civil rights, there is no “agreeing to disagree” with a person who increasingly aligns with an extremism because they value their political affiliation over the welfare and safety of actual people in their lives.

A lot of people subscribe to the belief that they and their family and friends will somehow be spared extremist policy. “Voting for a political party that seeks to end gay marriage will certainly not affect my son’s marriage,” for instance. People who have been voting Republican for decades don’t necessarily realize the extent to which inmates are running the asylum, or the extent to which extremist political activists have hijacked portions of the party to put liberty under threat.

For instance: the nationwide availability of mifepristone, a drug used in medication abortion and miscarriage, currently rests on a single federal (Trump-appointed) judge in Texas, who has the power to undermine FDA approval for this medication. (It has been legal for over two decades, is widely used, and considered quite safe.) This situation is the result of decades of political wrangling from anti-choice groups, who have laid the groundwork for this type of legal challenge because they believe abortion should not be a legally available option. Republicans have turned a blind eye to extremism as long as extremists vote for their party. Meanwhile, Republican politicians have gerrymandered election districts to nullify Democrat votes.

At a certain point, it’s necessary to expect the people in your life to take accountability for decisions they make that hurt others. No one should feel like they’ve done something wrong if they cut people out who are actively causing harm and don’t intend to stop.

by Anonymousreply 65March 17, 2023 7:54 PM

[quote] A someone estranged from my parents for several years, I don't like seeing estrangement treated so cavalierly. It's callous and shallow.

You can either be part of the problem, or part of the solution.

It sounds like you choose to be part of the problem, so you have no grounds for complaint.

Fix it, or shut up.

by Anonymousreply 66March 17, 2023 8:10 PM

[quote]A someone estranged from my parents for several years, I don't like seeing estrangement treated so cavalierly. It's callous and shallow.

First, "Oh, dear" on the A instead of As. Second, you do know where you posted right? Punkin, this ain't FeelGood Farm.

by Anonymousreply 67March 17, 2023 8:12 PM

Apparently it's mask mental instability as righteous activism farm.

by Anonymousreply 68March 17, 2023 8:14 PM

[quote] Queer supremacy. I sneak cheese. Bipolar. Married to the sea. NSFW. #ACAB #BLM. Abortion on Demand. Cheers 🏳️‍⚧️🍺🎮⛵️🛍

Is this for real?

WTF?

I've never seen anyone write the words: "Abortion on Demand."

That sounds fucking insane.

by Anonymousreply 69March 17, 2023 8:16 PM

“Abortion on demand” is a stupid political slogan (honestly we would all do well to stop chanting foolish nonsense without giving a thought to the message we intend to convey) but it isn’t insane to suggest that laws should never favor a fetal “right to life” over the right to terminate pregnancy. The vast majority of voluntary abortions take place in the first trimester. Later terminations often involve situations where a wanted pregnancy can’t continue for some reason. That’s the argument for ensuring legal access to late term abortion.

It’s insane to make laws that prevent someone in a tragic situation (losing a wanted baby) from accessing appropriate care, out of fear that removing late-term abortion restrictions will prompt people to terminate for no other reason than it’s Tuesday and they’re seven months pregnant and they want to get drunk next weekend. Even when late term procedures are legal, they are still extremely rare.

But yes, “abortion on demand” is unnecessarily polarizing. There’s nothing wrong with “Pro-Choice”, which is a sentiment far more people agree with.

by Anonymousreply 70March 17, 2023 9:08 PM

Soooo many strawman arguments on this thread. It's as if people don't care what he actually said or did. But that couldn't be true, could it?

by Anonymousreply 71March 17, 2023 9:11 PM

[quote]But yes, “abortion on demand” is unnecessarily polarizing. There’s nothing wrong with “Pro-Choice”, which is a sentiment far more people agree with.

I think he wants to be polarizing and have people disagree with him, R70. That was what he was aiming for when he wrote that bio.

by Anonymousreply 72March 17, 2023 9:21 PM

[quote] I think he wants to be polarizing

People like that are exhausting and toxic.

I stay far away from them.

by Anonymousreply 73March 17, 2023 9:23 PM

R73 And fat. Don’t forget fat.

by Anonymousreply 74March 17, 2023 9:24 PM

I don't blame him.

I would do it, too, and should do it, but I barely speak to my family as is. I wish them well but learned long ago they were not to be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 75March 17, 2023 9:25 PM

R75 This isn’t group therapy.

by Anonymousreply 76March 17, 2023 9:55 PM

R45 With the way this country's politics and gay rights are going, it may just be partner and not husband in the future. Sad state of affairs.

by Anonymousreply 77March 17, 2023 11:09 PM

He’s ugly

by Anonymousreply 78March 17, 2023 11:12 PM

I hate proselytizing as much as I hate republicans. They need to die in individual grease fires and no there’s no saving them. They should be doxxed, embarrassed and run off the road. They deserve it. After all, they came for us.

by Anonymousreply 79March 17, 2023 11:52 PM

Why does he have a trans flag and no pride flag?

by Anonymousreply 80March 17, 2023 11:56 PM

He has to be a DLer. That email was straight outta the MARY! handbook.

by Anonymousreply 81March 18, 2023 12:12 AM

He should just ghost his folks like I'm doing.

by Anonymousreply 82March 18, 2023 12:57 AM

He’s probably one of our DLers who is Always On The Right Side Of History, R81. Constantly lecturing us for not giving enough credit to the Stunning & Brave for without them, there would be no gay liberation, freedom, rights, marriage and community.

by Anonymousreply 83March 18, 2023 1:07 AM

Who the fuck are these posters—presumably gay men—who are saying it's just "demanding everyone think like you" if you uncompromisingly let your family know that voting for anti-gay candidates is a vote against your rights, and that you'll treat them accordingly? What prompted me to come out to my family was when they were making noises about voting Republican (they're normally liberal). They needed to know whom they were hurting—that it wasn't abstract. Not saying I would have cut totally them off if they'd followed through, but things certainly would have been very different between us if they had. Fortunately they understood.

by Anonymousreply 84March 18, 2023 1:10 AM

All I see here is someone who has changed no minds, but who has guaranteed that his family will now relish voting in defiance of his demands, while lying to him for the rest of their lives. Well played, fatty.

by Anonymousreply 85March 18, 2023 1:11 AM

People don’t seem interested in winning over the hearts & minds of their political opponents.

by Anonymousreply 86March 18, 2023 2:47 AM

[quote] who are saying it's just "demanding everyone think like you" if you uncompromisingly let your family know that voting for anti-gay candidates is a vote against your rights,

Are we talking about anti-gay candidates? Support for marriage equality is up to new high of 71% in 2022. I know some state level officials (DeSantis) run to the right of that but a deep breath might in order. Now tell me why I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 87March 18, 2023 3:10 AM

[quote] Why does he have a trans flag and no pride flag? —Oh, right. He's a batshit crazy, insufferable attention whore.

r80 I expect nothing else from these caricatures: middle-aged, same-sex-married, self-described gay, with a septum ring, from Seattle, whose bio (and priority) starts with 'queer supremacy' (along with the usual #ACAB #BLM). I know some in real life.

Their life/activism operate with 'oppressor class/majority/privileged vs. oppressed class/minority/marginalised/underrepresented' mentality. 'Cis' gays (and normal rainbow pride flag) fall under the former, queer/trans (& new 'progressive' pride & trans flags) the latter.

The former - in their mind - no longer needs much promotion while the latter needs to be amplified. That's how in almost all mainstream sphere, you see no '#gay' or '#lesbian' (cis oppressor privileged class) but multiple queer/trans representation with #LGBT(Q+) but also #Queer and another separate #Trans categories.

This is someone who had to "avoid the bullies who attacked me for being gay." and who works hard to erase gays for Pride etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 18, 2023 3:12 AM

I could be being naive. 55-61% of Americans are pro choice and here we are.

by Anonymousreply 89March 18, 2023 3:14 AM

Does anyone know why his account has been suspended?

by Anonymousreply 90March 18, 2023 9:40 AM

Alternative title: 42 year old man acts like 15 year old girl and 15 year old girls go crazy for him on social media.

by Anonymousreply 91March 18, 2023 9:53 AM

R84 How is it not demanding that? He’s not simply asking his father to not vote Republican. He’s BLACKMAILING his family into voting against their principals. How that is any different than his father telling him that he better “straighten up" or he’s no longer part of the family?

The man is 80 years old. He’s tired. Enjoy the time you have with him and avoid politics. People don’t respond well to ultimatums.

Can you imagine receiving that FUCKING email? It would've been the fastest delete EVER.

by Anonymousreply 92March 18, 2023 10:28 AM

[quote]Sending a letter to the Repugs in my family would put a target on my back and possibly end in violence. It's not worth it, imo.

[quote]While I still remain cordial for family gettogethers

If your family is full of the kind of people who would resort to violence in response to a letter, why would you stay cordial to them?

by Anonymousreply 93March 18, 2023 10:35 AM

Once DL turned into a place where a bunch of r91's showed up, saying "If you have values and principles then you're a GIRL" it really went to shit.

by Anonymousreply 94March 18, 2023 10:36 AM

r94 A "girl", you say?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 18, 2023 10:43 AM

Anyone who doesn't understand why the guy did this or believes he was any way in the wrong is a mindless idiot.

If someone's principles are to support people actively trying to destroy you, no, you shouldn't have anything to do with that person. It's as simple as that.

At the very least this thread helpfully shows who on this site needs to be blocked.

by Anonymousreply 96March 18, 2023 11:33 AM

^^^Doesn't belong on the DL

by Anonymousreply 97March 18, 2023 11:47 AM

Who knew watching aging queens writhe in the agony of their festering assholery would be a satisfying feature of this thread. The world's less tolerant of the bullshit we've endured from you for years, ladies!

by Anonymousreply 98March 18, 2023 12:12 PM

^^^Also doesn't belong at the DL

by Anonymousreply 99March 18, 2023 12:13 PM

Republicans have lost their minds. It's fair for reasonable people to cut them out of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 100March 18, 2023 12:16 PM

Oh! The two who don't belong on the DL happen to be the VERY same person! Well would you fancy that.

by Anonymousreply 101March 18, 2023 12:17 PM

I'm still waiting to hear which political party is trying to, literally and not figuratively, "murder" him. Hyperbolic language and histrionic behavior are clearly not being used with the intention of persuading his family: they're being used so that he can show his Twitter followers how frightened he is.

Twitter favors those who paint things in trhe bleakest possible tones.

by Anonymousreply 102March 18, 2023 12:19 PM

I should have said "frightened" in R102. He may be nuts but I don't think he's so insane that he actually believes all this stuff he's saying.

by Anonymousreply 103March 18, 2023 12:23 PM

Just wait until he's on the View and afterwards all his old, nasty, dirty laundry comes tumbling out.

by Anonymousreply 104March 18, 2023 12:26 PM

^^ Meh, someone can use hyperbolic language but also be on the right side of an argument. Next.

by Anonymousreply 105March 18, 2023 12:26 PM

I'm kind of torn on whether it was appropriate for him to do this or not. But the Republicans really *have* been out of control lately with the anti-gay measures popping up all over the country.

Last week the Tennessee House of Representatives passed a bill that could allow county clerks to deny marriage licenses to same-sex, interfaith, or interracial couples. When I read this I was like, "holy shit!"; I then went to all my political sites - Youtube channels, Datalounge etc - and hardly anyone has been talking about it. Why is that? Perhaps this signals how scary this is getting, if things like this can happen and nobody can be bothered to so much as raise an eyebrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 18, 2023 1:22 PM

What happened to Ryan? Why has Twitter canceled his account?

by Anonymousreply 107March 18, 2023 1:32 PM

[quote] Republicans have lost their minds

So have the Dems, r100‼️⚠️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108March 18, 2023 1:37 PM

r108

by Anonymousreply 109March 18, 2023 1:46 PM

R109

by Anonymousreply 110March 18, 2023 1:48 PM

It’s inane that people trot out “but trans!” as if a group of House Democrats *proposing* a bill regarding trans rights is equivalent to Republican elected officials in Tennessee *passing* a bill that broadly undermines marriage equality.

by Anonymousreply 111March 18, 2023 1:59 PM

Why does DL care about this?

Surely almost everyone here has had to cut someone, friend or family, out of their lives because they were being ignorant or hateful.

Being Republican is being hateful to gays nowadays. They're openly calling us abnormal and covertly budding up with people calling for our deaths.

by Anonymousreply 112March 18, 2023 2:02 PM

R105 That’s THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY, thank you very much!

(more like The right side of histrionics)

by Anonymousreply 113March 18, 2023 2:06 PM

R111, what is truly inane is the belief that it’s possible to change sex. End of.

by Anonymousreply 114March 18, 2023 2:09 PM

R114 is totally cool with laws that actively enacted to undermine legal marriage, remove reproductive rights, and allow racist and homophobic discrimination because trans people exist and he doesn’t like it. End of.

by Anonymousreply 115March 18, 2023 2:33 PM

R112, it's the Russian and right-wing trolls who've taken over this place.

And r97/r99/r101, thank you for proving your idiocy. No, r96 (me) and r98 (not me) aren't the same person. If you can't figure out the site functions that show that, it's you who doesn't belong here (in addition to being an anti-gay troll). Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 116March 18, 2023 2:34 PM

Agree with R114. How can Ryan Short identify as a gay men but then support the mutilation and sterilization of gay children?

"Trans" people "advocate" for "trans" children so why aren't gay people concerned about gay kids?

by Anonymousreply 117March 18, 2023 2:37 PM

R65- "Respectfully recognizing I can’t reason them out of positions they didn’t reason themselves into."

This is my experience, too. I feel like once you have to send a letter like this, public or not, you already know that there will be no good answer, if they respond at all. It's part of the mourning process when you lose a parent to a cult, not an ultimatum. I wrote a letter like this to my father a few years ago. It went exactly as I expected it to.

R10- Thank you for being a decent and honorable parent.

by Anonymousreply 118March 18, 2023 2:39 PM

R115 is totally cool with women in jail being locked up with & raped by violent male offenders.

R115 is totally cool with drugging & mutilating gender nonconforming children.

R115 has no problem with perverted men masturbating in women’s bathrooms or exposing themselves to little girls.

R115 is totally cool with men competing in women’s sports.

R115 has no problem with compelled speech (pronouns), censorship, forcing people to believe things that are not true.

It’s impossible to change sex. Trans rights are men’s rights. R115 is on the same side as MRAs & incels.

by Anonymousreply 119March 18, 2023 2:41 PM

The price of supporting Democrats is allowing gay kids to be mutilated and sterilized because only "trans" kids have the right to exist and be acknowledged.

by Anonymousreply 120March 18, 2023 2:42 PM

I hope Ryan's alright. Something seems to have happened.

by Anonymousreply 121March 18, 2023 2:43 PM

That's the 2024 Democratic platform at R119.

by Anonymousreply 122March 18, 2023 2:48 PM

Remember the poster who would just write “MURIEL” a bunch of times when the trolls came out in full force?

If you’re so blinded by hatred for trans that you’re ignore broad assaults on other rights (marriage, reproductive rights, etc.), don’t complain when your marriage is invalidated or someone you care about can’t get an abortion.

There are legislators who seek to make laws forcing citizens to live by rules inspired by the lawmakers’ imaginary friend, a white, blond version of Jesus who carries an AK-47 to shoot the gays, the blacks, and the feminists, has pockets stuffed fat with anti-environmentalist lobbyists’ money, and wants to limit poor people’s ability to control childbearing so that there’s a ready population of desperate people to exploit for underpaid labor.

The world is burning, and you madlads are out here in the roadside weeping about trans.

by Anonymousreply 123March 18, 2023 3:04 PM

R123 the fact that you are okay with the R119 platform says it all.

by Anonymousreply 124March 18, 2023 3:10 PM

R124 believes histrionic, fear-based ranting constitutes a “platform”. What a cutie.

by Anonymousreply 125March 18, 2023 3:13 PM

Nah, R124 is just a disingenuous troll with nothing better to do on a Saturday morning.

Or maybe he's working overtime in Russia, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 126March 18, 2023 3:16 PM

If the Democrats won't let women have their own spaces and sports teams I hardly think they can be counted on to support their reproductive rights. In fact, they didn't fight that hard for them and that's why Roe was overturned.

But they did fight for the right to sterilize "trans" kids. And males now have the right to be in female spaces. That is the result of the Democratic Party.

by Anonymousreply 127March 18, 2023 3:19 PM

He’s mentally ill. Stop defending him. Also his politics and whole identity is cult-like. Do you know who demands you cut off all ties to your family if they don’t support your beliefs 100%?

Cults, that’s who!

by Anonymousreply 128March 18, 2023 3:21 PM

Isn't it odd that "trans" kids can choose to sterilize themselves but grown women are under threat of prosecution if they choose to not continue with a pregnancy? That's Democratic priorities in action!

by Anonymousreply 129March 18, 2023 3:24 PM

Husband is angry that his husband's account has been suspended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 18, 2023 3:49 PM

Why do trolls target DL so aggressively? Do they honestly think they're influencing anyone's opinion? If that is even the point.

by Anonymousreply 131March 18, 2023 3:51 PM

R131. It honestly baffles me to.

I can only assume they have so little to do and DL is relatively obscure and anonymous that there won't be blowback?

by Anonymousreply 132March 18, 2023 3:55 PM

R131, it does influence. Particularly, linking to news stories that the national media downplays. For example, the number of sexual assaults that "women" are now committing on other women.

by Anonymousreply 133March 18, 2023 3:56 PM

R133- Men getting privileged access to women's spaces to commit assault is not new. Are a very few men now using the "trans" label as a cover to commit assault? Yes. Would they find another way to commit assault if pretending to be trans weren't an option? Also, yes.

by Anonymousreply 134March 18, 2023 4:06 PM

R134, you don't seem to understand. Many people have been purposely miseducated about transgenderism due to the mainstream media. That led people to support "trans" policies they otherwise wouldn't have.

Early on, many people really thought that "trans"women had "female" brains. That they were just really femme gay men. And they all got their dick cut off. That's because the media was pushing that message.

However, sending just a few articles about these "women" raping women and children with their penises to non-DLers helps to clear up that confusion real quick!

by Anonymousreply 135March 18, 2023 4:19 PM

Very few, r134? Do better.

Not one female should be victimized by these perverted, delusional loons in women’s spaces.

We should be doing everything we can to stop violence against women.

Instead, the TRAs are normalizing & enabling violence against women.

by Anonymousreply 136March 18, 2023 4:20 PM

Good for him. All magats are traitors.

by Anonymousreply 137March 18, 2023 4:25 PM

R135. So trans women are raping women and children with the penises they got cut off? How does that work?

You need to get your story straight.

by Anonymousreply 138March 18, 2023 4:35 PM

Don't be surprised when you drive people away R137.

by Anonymousreply 139March 18, 2023 4:38 PM

R138 You know full well that most of them still have their dicks. This a fight we've all been having for more than decade now.

by Anonymousreply 140March 18, 2023 4:39 PM

R135- I understand perfectly well. But you are not here to have a reasoned discussion.

by Anonymousreply 141March 18, 2023 5:04 PM

R141, there's nothing "reasonable" about the points you're trying to make.

by Anonymousreply 142March 18, 2023 5:06 PM

We're internet commenters. None of us are reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 143March 18, 2023 5:34 PM

R143 r144

by Anonymousreply 144March 18, 2023 11:56 PM

Since all’s fair in love and war, and at least some of the anti-trans posters are part of an intentional disinformation campaign, a word to whomever is not a paid shill but instead someone who is *stating her boundaries*, we get it. No one wants to see children forced to undergo medical transition, and it’s possible that protections for trans rights leave room for such situations to occur. But in the US we’re faced with a binary when it comes to our viable political choices. We should be conscious of the fact that we’re always choosing between the lesser of two evils.

If your biggest attack against the Democrats is that they are pushing forward trans rights at a time when there are so many other crucial priorities, I get it. I even agree that Democrats were fucking stupid trolls who failed to codify reproductive rights when they had the majority to do so, so they could continue to position themselves as the political party to vote for if you valued reproductive choice, while Republicans swung far in the other direction.

There is plenty of evidence that Republican lawmakers regularly attack basic American liberties: a Supreme Court ruling made marriage equality a federal right, the Federal Drug Authority approved mifepristone, and now states’ rights are threatening federal rights and this is becoming an increasingly oppressive issue nationwide. I don’t think some of you “but trans” get that your rights will be next.

Basically, your choice is to vote for the party that’s stupid or the party that’s currently actively evil. And here’s the beauty of it. If the party that’s evil and the party that’s evil switch sides, you can vote for whatever party you like better! Just don’t lie to yourself that a party that supports one thing you do should be excused whatever other shit it’s spewing.

In my opinion, this is what the letter writer with his annoying slogans and silly haircut is trying to get across to his family. Put your loved ones’ safety over empty promises from politicians when it comes to casting your vote. Don’t adopt a my team/your team perspective that leads you to dehumanize your own relatives. And be willing to vote as a block to protect the vulnerable among you until the pendulum shifts back to something more sane. Historically it has, but it takes cooperation and empathy, which some people don’t have. It’s shameful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 145March 19, 2023 2:57 AM

R10 Your unctuous words are disproved by your actions

by Anonymousreply 146March 19, 2023 3:02 AM

Did this ungrateful child pay back any of the almost-million dollars it costs to raise a child over the 20 years from its birth to its independence?

by Anonymousreply 147March 19, 2023 3:08 AM

Team Letter Writer.

He's allowed to state what his boundaries are and what his expectations are to the people in his family and in his life.

They don't have to meet his expectations but this boundary seems to be non-negotiable. Again, he's allowed to have that as a deal-breaker in his life.

by Anonymousreply 148March 19, 2023 3:08 AM

[quote] I was raised not to discuss politics, religion or money.

Were you raised to accept money?

by Anonymousreply 149March 19, 2023 3:12 AM

[quote] You can either be part of the problem, or part of the solution.

Discretion is the better part of valour (Shakespeare).

by Anonymousreply 150March 19, 2023 3:19 AM

^ Discretion is obviously foreign to the petulant Mr Short of Seattle.

He displays his family's issues to the Twitterverse.

by Anonymousreply 151March 19, 2023 5:16 AM

I didn't follow his account but found out what happened:

[quote] Jeff Traywick @jtraywick | Tweet was viral for days with ample open engagement and stayed up with no issues. Your husband was [bold]telling people to kill themselves broke[/bold] and CoC/ got suspended. It wasn’t the original tweet, contents of the letter or @elonmusk and his apparent secret vendetta against y’all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152March 19, 2023 5:52 AM

What a way to spread his message...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153March 19, 2023 5:54 AM

[quote]"My letter. Sent with prideful power," Short wrote.

Can we give him an ultimatum and kick him out of the gay community for writing this?

by Anonymousreply 154March 19, 2023 6:03 AM

[quote] prideful power

[quote] speak truth to power

21st century argot that makes me wince.

by Anonymousreply 155March 19, 2023 6:34 AM

Let me get this right…

Man publishes letter imploring family not to vote for what he perceives as a party intent on doing him harm; upon receiving pushback, informs those people to go kill themselves.

by Anonymousreply 156March 19, 2023 8:57 AM

Sounds like it, R156. It's quite common in people who have a certain political persuasion to fantasize about their opponents being dead.

by Anonymousreply 157March 19, 2023 9:05 AM

[quote] It's quite common in people who have a certain political persuasion to fantasize about their opponents being dead.

More evidence he posts on datalounge

by Anonymousreply 158March 19, 2023 9:10 AM

[quote]Man publishes letter imploring family not to vote for what he perceives as a party intent on doing him harm; upon receiving pushback, informs those people to go kill themselves.

Kind of.

He also told his elderly, loving father he will go non contact on him if the father doesn’t vote Dem.

by Anonymousreply 159March 19, 2023 11:06 AM

“I like log cabins as much as you do, but this cannot go on for much longer.”

by Anonymousreply 160March 19, 2023 11:32 AM

The fag is nuts. You can vote for anyone you want, and if you want to end your relationships with those who vote a different party, that's your choice, too.

by Anonymousreply 161March 19, 2023 11:48 AM

This guy’s letter is great.

It’s what we all should be doing. Stop all the bullshit about “discussion changes minds.” Everyone know what the GOP stands for. If you choose that over your child, you’re certainly not exhibiting “family values.”

Should Jews have “discussed the situation” with Nazis to change their minds???

by Anonymousreply 162March 19, 2023 12:00 PM

R162 Hyperbole much? Did you miss the part where he told anyone who doesn’t agree with him to kill themselves?

by Anonymousreply 163March 19, 2023 12:51 PM

R163- The original letter was a separate issue from him turning weird afterward in the comments. His point in the letter was valid. His responses after that were awful.

by Anonymousreply 164March 19, 2023 12:55 PM

The "community" is rife with puritanical nut jobs like this. Lesbians are even worse.

by Anonymousreply 165March 19, 2023 12:59 PM

R164 Telling people to kill themselves negated the letter in its entirety.

by Anonymousreply 166March 19, 2023 1:00 PM

So he’s disgusting his family votes a certain way yet he legit threatens them with violence if they don’t change to what HE wants? Doesn’t he know we live in a free country? You have your own opinions as long as you’re not threatening to hurt others. He is a F***ing self Righteous cunt.

by Anonymousreply 167March 19, 2023 1:02 PM

[quote] The original letter was a separate issue from him turning weird afterward in the comments.

Face it. The guy apparently was always a weird loser.

by Anonymousreply 168March 19, 2023 1:14 PM

*heart* R10.

by Anonymousreply 169March 19, 2023 1:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170March 19, 2023 1:20 PM

[quote] I hope Ryan's alright. Something seems to have happened.

r121

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171March 19, 2023 1:21 PM

R162, wrong example.

The biggest threat to gays & lesbians is transgender ideology.

Ts are the nazis. LGs are their targets.

by Anonymousreply 172March 19, 2023 1:23 PM

R171 What a hideous specimen.

by Anonymousreply 173March 19, 2023 1:24 PM

His love for his father is so inspiring, isn't it, R170?

Seriously, the more gay people continue to throw their lot in with transgenderism and follow transgender rhetoric ("our opponents want to murder us, so we are justified in hating them and wishing them harm"), the more tolerance for gay people will continue to decline.

by Anonymousreply 174March 19, 2023 1:25 PM

Of course you made this into an anti-trans thread. Of course.

by Anonymousreply 175March 19, 2023 1:31 PM

Who are you talking to, R175?

by Anonymousreply 176March 19, 2023 1:32 PM

R174

by Anonymousreply 177March 19, 2023 1:36 PM

r175/r174, I'm the poster you were talking about, then. I don't believe that we've ever interacted, so I really don't know what this means:

[quote]Of course you made this into an anti-trans thread. Of course.

by Anonymousreply 178March 19, 2023 1:39 PM

Yes you do.

by Anonymousreply 179March 19, 2023 1:41 PM

R179 The twat who wrote the letter is all about the trans so why can’t his misguided attachment to a dangerous ideology be discussed in a thread about HIS views? He is after all the one forcing his views on his family and also the one telling people who disagree with him that they should commit suicide.

by Anonymousreply 180March 19, 2023 1:45 PM

[quote] The original letter was a separate issue from him turning weird afterward in the comments.

TURNING weird? Oh, honey.

by Anonymousreply 181March 19, 2023 1:48 PM

R156, it's not that straightforward.

His family needs to tell him that they'll be happy to support gay causes as soon as the gay movement stops supporting policies that hurts women, children and the mentally unwell.

by Anonymousreply 182March 19, 2023 1:51 PM

You don;t have a right to issue demands to loved ones like you're the monarch. You can react to what they say, and decide you want no contact with them, but you cannot issue demands.

by Anonymousreply 183March 19, 2023 1:52 PM

He didn't demand they do anything. He said if they supported those who oppress him he would cut off contact with them.

Stop making this something it isnt.

by Anonymousreply 184March 19, 2023 1:55 PM

R184 That’s how demands work you numpty.

by Anonymousreply 185March 19, 2023 1:58 PM

R175, anything pro-gay is anti-trans by definition.

Anything pro-trans is anti-gay.

T is a Trojan Horse. It’s very effective in wiping out gays & lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 186March 19, 2023 1:58 PM

Do people know what they’re saying when they call themselves “prideful” instead of “proud?”

prideful: adjective. thinking too highly of oneself; conceited, arrogant, or overconfident:I was too bitter and prideful and didn't think I needed the Addiction Recovery meetings, so I didn't go.

by Anonymousreply 187March 19, 2023 2:03 PM

No, they are free to do whatever they want. He has no leverage to demand anything. He is only informing them what he will do

by Anonymousreply 188March 19, 2023 2:03 PM

R187 The letter writer is one of those people who think they are far more intelligent than they actually are. A bit like R188

by Anonymousreply 189March 19, 2023 2:05 PM

And r189 thinks he's made an actual argument when he hasnt.

by Anonymousreply 190March 19, 2023 2:10 PM

R190 can’t tell the difference between a statement and an argument.

by Anonymousreply 191March 19, 2023 2:19 PM

Trans is a wedge issue. Politically and socially. The mentally ill "representatives" of trans people on social media keep getting platformed as representative, when they are not. This allowed the supposed "trans agenda" to become even more of a political wedge issue, with each party running as far and as fast to opposite extremes (or covertly funding views they held public opposition to) to raise the stakes. Non-profits have been hijacked in service of this. None of it is actually about trans people, and it would serve all of us well to remember that

In reality, trans people are an incredibly small segment of the population. That includes AGP's masquerading as trans and trying to center themselves. Trans people otherwise have very minimal impact on everyone else's day-to-day lives. Social media, and people taking social media as representative of real life, and politically-motivated funding of social media influencers, is what got us here.

by Anonymousreply 192March 19, 2023 2:29 PM

R1, he was not trying to get his family to cater. He set a boundary. I had similar boundaries with my family, although not over voting Republican.

by Anonymousreply 193March 19, 2023 2:35 PM

R192, it's not true they have a small impact. If they did, no one would be complaining.

by Anonymousreply 194March 19, 2023 2:43 PM

R186: Trans rights are human rights. Gay rights are human rights. Women’s rights are human rights. All people in the US are equal before the law. That is the intent, imperfectly achieved by our original governing documents in the US. You post is a twisted attempt to make trans people less than human before the law. The rights of all are strengthened by assuring the right of a few who may not be the same as a larger group.

by Anonymousreply 195March 19, 2023 2:45 PM

R192, trans is 💯 imaginary. It’s not just the AGPs who “masquerade” as trans.

An elederly, lesbian neighbor of mine let a homeless “transman” stay in her backyard apartment. The white transman was in her early 20s & had a young son. She partnered with a black man who identified as a “transwoman.” Neither had jobs. They kept the young kid home. He did not go to school. The house was a dump.

When the elderly neighbor was close to being thrown into a nursing home against her will, I & two other neighbors cleaned & repaired her disgusting living quarters for three full days so she could stay in her home with hospice care.

After the neighbor died, the relative who inherited the dump gave the T couple money to relocate.

The “transman” recently killed herself. I’m told her son now lives with his father….

Such a tragedy all around. Things may have turned out differently had the “transman” gotten the psychological help she needed. But instead she got brainwashed, drugged & mutilated.

It’s very sad. But nobody cares.

Ts are parasites dining on a hated host. That’s how they get away with their demonic gaslighting. They are a threat to the gay community. We are in the midst of a homophobic atrocity. We should all be outraged.

by Anonymousreply 196March 19, 2023 2:49 PM

[quote]Trans rights are human rights. Gay rights are human rights. Women’s rights are human rights. All people in the US are equal before the law.

That’s right, including ex-gays who are always left out, including the Equality Act. Ex-gays also deserve dignity, respect, visibility, and protection. They should be able to live openly as ex-gays without any repercussions. This is the world we live in now, thanks to greed, and immoral and unethical behavior, so ex-gays must be included in this narrative.

by Anonymousreply 197March 19, 2023 2:51 PM

I’ve asked you this before, charlie, but did not see a response.

What if you’re wrong?

What if transitioning harms people instead of helps people?

What if it doesn’t decrease suicide but increases suicide?

Have you considered the possibility that your advocacy, however well intended, is actually mistaken?

by Anonymousreply 198March 19, 2023 2:52 PM

This guy's communications have a cultish quality.

He reminds me of Scíentø!ogists maniacally railing against "suppressive people."

by Anonymousreply 199March 19, 2023 2:52 PM

[quote] All people in the US are equal before the law.

Yes indeed. And one universal and inviolate law is nobody can change their biochemistry allowing a change from one sex to another.

by Anonymousreply 200March 19, 2023 2:53 PM

Transgenderism is just a cult like any other. We don't give special rights to cult members.

by Anonymousreply 201March 19, 2023 2:57 PM

R195, tans rights is damaging to the rights of both women and gays. So your slogan makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 202March 19, 2023 2:59 PM

[quote]He didn't demand they do anything. He said if they supported those who oppress him he would cut off contact with them.

"If you do not do as I say I will cut off all contact with you; there can be no dialogue on this matter." <-- That is nothing other than a demand.

by Anonymousreply 203March 19, 2023 3:06 PM

This is just a troll thread now. Of course it is. There's not even room for constructive conversation about this on DL.

You can't say, "I support people who truly have gender dysphoria and are looking for constructive help, inclusive of the *option* of gender affirmation surgery for those who go through rigorous psychological screening and a support program before, during, and after their treatment, in the best interest of the patient," without it turning into a pitched zero-sum battle.

You also can't say, "Gender affirmation surgery or hormonal treatment for children, despite potentially being helpful for a very limited number of children, is liable to severe abuse by a medical surgery industry that stands to gain billions of dollars by normalizing it."

Both are sane, moderate positions, which acknowledge reality.

by Anonymousreply 204March 19, 2023 3:09 PM

Why was the previous thread on this deleted? What has Muriel been up to?

by Anonymousreply 205March 19, 2023 3:11 PM

Agree with R203. The family is wise to not give in to this type of manipulation.

Similar to "would you rather have a dead son or a living daughter" or "if you leave me I'll kill myself".

by Anonymousreply 206March 19, 2023 3:12 PM

R187 - Pride is a SIN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207March 19, 2023 3:41 PM

R205 I remember one comment from that thread:

[Quote]Mommy and Daddy, I will disown you! Don't test me!

[Quote]-Man in his 40s

by Anonymousreply 208March 19, 2023 3:43 PM

R186 Trans have all the same rights as anyone else. What they want is special privileges. Fuck that. They can make-do like the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 209March 19, 2023 3:56 PM

^ was for R195 not R186

by Anonymousreply 210March 19, 2023 3:57 PM

That's EXACTLY it. It's a mirror image of "No son of mine is gonna [grow his hair long/listen to heavy metal music/be gay]! If you want to do that, get out of my house! GET OUT! I HAVE NO SON!"

by Anonymousreply 211March 19, 2023 3:57 PM

[quote] What they want is special privileges.

Anita Bryant? Is that you?

by Anonymousreply 212March 19, 2023 3:58 PM

R212 Gays never wanted special privileges, just equality under the law.

by Anonymousreply 213March 19, 2023 4:00 PM

[quote] Gays never wanted special privileges, just equality under the law.

That's not what they said.

Or say today.

This is just a recycled bludgeon.

by Anonymousreply 214March 19, 2023 4:04 PM

R214, that's not a recycled bludgeon - it's your supersize dilator, silly.

by Anonymousreply 215March 19, 2023 4:06 PM

Thank you, R204.

by Anonymousreply 216March 19, 2023 4:10 PM

R214 Okay, historical genius, what did they say then and what do they say now?

by Anonymousreply 217March 19, 2023 4:12 PM

Who cares what THEY say! Gays fight fight Republicans and “trans”.

by Anonymousreply 218March 19, 2023 4:15 PM

They said gay people asking for equal rights were asking for special rights. And they continue to say it today. How are you not getting this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219March 19, 2023 4:16 PM

[quote]That's not what they said.

The hard left keeps throwing this patronizing BS in our faces. You don’t scare us.

by Anonymousreply 220March 19, 2023 4:17 PM

[quote] The hard left keeps throwing this patronizing BS in our faces. You don’t scare us.

No one is trying to scare you. No one gives a shit about your obsession. We who are hardly "hard Left" are merely pointing out that your inane talking points are recycled from the very same talking points the Right used and uses against gay men.

by Anonymousreply 221March 19, 2023 4:19 PM

R219 But I said, THE GAYS never wanted special privileges just equality under the law. I don't give a fuck what people against the gays said as I was not talking about them. Stop being a retard.

by Anonymousreply 222March 19, 2023 4:20 PM

[quote] But I said, THE GAYS never wanted special privileges just equality under the law.

How are you still not getting this?

[quote] Stop being a retard.

Oh, now I see how.

by Anonymousreply 223March 19, 2023 4:22 PM

[quote]No one is trying to scare you. No one gives a shit about your obsession. We who are hardly "hard Left" are merely pointing out that your inane talking points are recycled from the very same talking points the Right used and uses against gay men.

I will fight against Republicans and “trans”. And you.

by Anonymousreply 224March 19, 2023 4:22 PM

[quote] This is just a troll thread now. Of course it is. There's not even room for constructive conversation about this on DL.

Then you'd better leave, shouldn't you?

by Anonymousreply 225March 19, 2023 4:23 PM

[quote]How are you still not getting this?

There's nothing to get. I ask again, what rights do trans people not have that everyone else has? What does "trans rights are human rights" mean? If there are no rights they don't already have then what rights does the slogan refer to? If everyone already has the same rights then what they want are some special rights just for them. The gays of the 1970s just wanted equal rights to do with employment protection and housing and ultimately marriage. THOSE were rights they did not have that everyone else DID have. WHAT RIGHTS DO TRANS PEOPLE IN 2023 NOT HAVE THAT EVERYONE ELSE DOES HAVE?

by Anonymousreply 226March 19, 2023 4:30 PM

Let's be honest: white cis-gendered gays and lesbians have little to complain about in 2023. I get we all have family members who aren't tolerant and hold bigoted views and nobody's complaining if you limit your exposure to them. But even those fighting The Good Fight have to pick their battles, and lecturing your aging Boomer parents over the plight of queer youth and trans rights is maybe doing too much. And while Democrats' hearts may be in the right place compared to Republicans, I don't think their position is so pure that they're worth cheerleading for to any great extent. As we've seen, Democrats care about getting and maintaining power just as much as Republicans. So while they're willing to pay lip service to the LGBTQ community when it behooves them, the truth is they're not dying on a hill over the plight of trans people. They'll talk a good game and maybe introduce some virtue signaling piece of legislation they know has no chance of passing all so they can give Republicans the business, but at the end of the day their support is almost entirely conditional.

by Anonymousreply 227March 19, 2023 4:35 PM

Fuck off with that cis shit.

by Anonymousreply 228March 19, 2023 4:37 PM

R226, they have sufficient rights just from being born men. They don't need extra "rights".

by Anonymousreply 229March 19, 2023 4:39 PM

[quote] cis-gendered gays

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 230March 19, 2023 4:39 PM

R12’s logic is that homosexuals are queers. And every argument used to support gay rights can be twisted to support perv rights, since pervs are also queers.

by Anonymousreply 231March 19, 2023 4:41 PM

I feel this guy was using emotional blackmail on his parents. i could never do that. I’d present facts and reason and, ultimately, give them right to do what they want to do regardless of my opinion. Of course, I’m British and our version of the Republicans, though loathsome, isn’t straight up evil like the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 232March 19, 2023 4:42 PM

Oh sorry that was for r212

by Anonymousreply 233March 19, 2023 4:43 PM

[quote] I will fight against Republicans and “trans”. And you.

And you do that by posting on DL?

Brave.

by Anonymousreply 234March 19, 2023 4:43 PM

R232 The most conservative Conservatives in the UK would still only be centrist Democrats in the US.

by Anonymousreply 235March 19, 2023 4:46 PM

R227 is laughable.

Homosexuals are being called “qu**r” against our wills. That’s not progress. That’s straight-up homophobic. (Pun intended)

by Anonymousreply 236March 19, 2023 4:46 PM

R236, and "cis" is a slur. I support anyone's right to call me that as long as I can hurl vile insults at them too. Call me "cis," I'll call you a shemale tranny.

by Anonymousreply 237March 19, 2023 5:11 PM

Cis is a slur like brunette is a slur.

by Anonymousreply 238March 19, 2023 5:12 PM

R227 here. No need to be triggered over my use of the prefix "cis".

by Anonymousreply 239March 19, 2023 5:15 PM

Transgenders and TRAs are pushing companies to do stuff like this:

"PayPal Banned Me for Stating Basic Biology" - Colin Wright

Meanwhile, TRAs keep saying they're not asking for special rights or having a negative impact on other people's lives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240March 19, 2023 5:20 PM

R239 It’s a redundant prefix.

by Anonymousreply 241March 19, 2023 5:21 PM

[quote] It’s a redundant prefix.

Doesn't make it a slur.

by Anonymousreply 242March 19, 2023 5:24 PM

R242 I never said it was but it is used as one. It’s hissed at gay men as a pure pejorative. I said it was redundant prefix and it is. Trans is not a redundant prefix because it’s used to identify a tiny minority of people; cis on the other hand is redundant because you don’t need to differentiate the vast majority of a population just to appease the trans.

by Anonymousreply 243March 19, 2023 5:29 PM

Oh, I see. Trans people get to decide what their real names are, what "deadnames" you must never call them, what their pronouns are, what bathroom they may use, etc.

Gay men will take whatever name they're called, and like it.

Is that it?

by Anonymousreply 244March 19, 2023 5:30 PM

R242, it's a slur because TRAs are using it as a slur.

by Anonymousreply 245March 19, 2023 5:31 PM

R244 Apparently the gays are supposed to put up and shut up and just affirm, affirm, affirm everything the TRAs want, no questions asked. We no longer matter, even in our own organisations.

by Anonymousreply 246March 19, 2023 5:49 PM

I'm glad he did this.

More of us need to put people on notice.

by Anonymousreply 247March 20, 2023 1:02 PM

Like a cult^.

by Anonymousreply 248March 20, 2023 1:20 PM

The fact that Twitter suspended his account proves what side Musk is on.

by Anonymousreply 249March 20, 2023 1:27 PM

As usual, the trans trolls make this all about trans

by Anonymousreply 250March 20, 2023 1:27 PM

[quote] Homosexuals are being called “qu**r” against our wills. That’s not progress. That’s straight-up homophobic.

Please, you're a right wing troll and not even gay.

Only the right wing uses "homosexuals" and refuses to say gay.

by Anonymousreply 251March 20, 2023 1:28 PM

Rightwingers use “homosexual” and “queer”.

by Anonymousreply 252March 20, 2023 1:32 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 253March 20, 2023 1:45 PM

[quote] The fact that Twitter suspended his account proves what side Musk is on.

r249 Are you the kind of gay who parrots "Marsha Johnson woman gave us gay rights" because other gays parrot it too?

by Anonymousreply 254March 20, 2023 1:48 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 255March 20, 2023 1:50 PM

Gay men and lesbians have to rebrand. We have nothing in common with queer people, asexuals, pansexuals, straight-presenting bisexuals, or trans people. We have to get that message out there.

We can support trans organizations if we choose (just like we would support BLM or organizations supporting Ukraine), but we cannot be seen as one big group.

by Anonymousreply 256March 20, 2023 1:57 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 257March 20, 2023 1:57 PM

I was mildly amused when the Professional Queers started complaining about the "Don't Say Gay" laws in Florida. Bitches, you don't want to say the word either!

by Anonymousreply 258March 20, 2023 2:16 PM

I do. But I’m not hard left or hard right.

by Anonymousreply 259March 20, 2023 2:19 PM

R259 Ah but Professional Queers don’t want “gay” used for the “right” reasons! 😉

by Anonymousreply 260March 20, 2023 2:20 PM

That was pure cynicism on their part, R258.

Within "the community" itself, the word "gay" had been contested for some time even though, in the outside world, gay rights are much more broadly accepted than the trans rights movement.

However, as soon as they needed gay people's cachet, it was "Don't say gay". Not "Don't say queer" or "Don't say trans".

by Anonymousreply 261March 20, 2023 2:20 PM

R260 was for R258

by Anonymousreply 262March 20, 2023 2:21 PM

"Don't say gay" is a 'cuter' phrase with the rhyme within it, and thus makes it more memorable and more media-friendly.

And Grindr hasn't been a gay app in a very long time. Now it's full of fugs, fetishists, and trans (and their chasers).

by Anonymousreply 263March 20, 2023 2:24 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 264March 20, 2023 2:27 PM

And lesbian men, too!

by Anonymousreply 265March 21, 2023 1:15 AM

I'm a gay guy. I'd tell the self righteous gay democrat to go fuck himself.

by Anonymousreply 266March 21, 2023 1:28 AM

R266 To whom do you refer?

by Anonymousreply 267March 21, 2023 1:54 AM

Salty porker.

by Anonymousreply 268March 21, 2023 3:03 AM

[quote] "You're such a stupid fucking faggot!" "You self hating fag whore!"

Sent to a gay man by "As another gay man,". Is this Seattle guy a friend of our thread topic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269March 21, 2023 11:33 AM

^ In 10 years, will gays have to forgive and forget this type of extreme behavior from other gays and lesbians? Just pretend things like this never happened?

by Anonymousreply 270March 21, 2023 12:49 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 271March 21, 2023 1:11 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 272March 21, 2023 1:16 PM

^ I've never heard of this Rob guy, as I'm not on Twitter. Who's his husband, DGL?

by Anonymousreply 273March 21, 2023 2:14 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 274March 21, 2023 2:57 PM

Man, these queers are just always so [italic]angry[/italic]! They become absolutely apoplectic when they encounter someone who "should" agree with their philosophies or principles but just doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 275March 21, 2023 3:01 PM

Buck Angel is one of the good guys.

by Anonymousreply 276March 23, 2023 8:24 AM

Buck Angel is old school trans. He doesn't think he's a man. He wants be one. And he's done everything he can to become one. But he knows he's not a man. And, that of course, makes all the difference.

He thinks he's exactly what he is: A transman.

by Anonymousreply 277March 23, 2023 4:38 PM

How does what Buck Angel thinks about his own life affect yours in the least?

by Anonymousreply 278March 25, 2023 2:12 PM

Did anyone email him back and tell him to stop being gay?

by Anonymousreply 279March 25, 2023 2:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!