Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYTimes asks Why Are So Many People Rewatching ‘Girls’?

Viewership of Lena Dunham’s HBO dramedy is surging as many millennials reassess their 20s and a show that defined them.

Jill Badlotto was in her 20s when she developed a “love-hate” relationship with the HBO dramedy “Girls.” While the show aired, Ms. Badlotto watched the main characters — Hannah, Marnie, Jessa and Shoshanna — hop from unpaid gigs to Brooklyn raves, all the while criticizing one another for the narcissism they failed to recognize in themselves.

When Ms. Badlotto, now 35 and a wedding coordinator in South Florida, rewatched the show this year, the characters still grated on her. But this time she didn’t recoil so strongly.

“I see so much more of myself in them,” she said, then paused. “Maybe that’s why I hated them so much.”

A little over a decade after the show's debut, people are rewatching — and sometimes reconsidering — “Girls,” Lena Dunham’s series about four white women lurching through their 20s in New York City. The series’ viewership doubled between November and January compared with the previous three months, according to a spokesperson for HBO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 19, 2023 10:37 PM

A little over a decade after the show's debut, people are rewatching — and sometimes reconsidering — “Girls,” Lena Dunham’s series about four white women lurching through their 20s in New York City. The series’ viewership doubled between November and January compared with the previous three months, according to a spokesperson for HBO.

Returning and first-time viewers are dissecting the show in bars and group chats, uploading supercuts to TikTok and using “Girls” to reflect on the very recent past. (In Season 1, Marnie uses a Blackberry and Jessa has a flip phone.)

“I like to call it a period piece,” said Julia Gray, 27, a journalist in Brooklyn and the host of “Girls Room,” a “Girls” rewatch podcast she created last year.

“Girls” was released in 2012 amid a flurry of hot takes that argued millennials were the whiniest, laziest generation yet. The show knowingly played into and poked fun at those clichés beginning with its first episode, in which Ms. Dunham’s character, Hannah, is cut off by her parents and then declares that she may be the voice — “or at least a voice” — of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2023 12:35 AM

I hate articles like this.

Why does anybody do anything?

by Anonymousreply 2March 17, 2023 12:37 AM

............. Ms. Dunham is aware of the “Girls” renaissance. On a phone call from Berlin, she said she was honored and a bit baffled by viewers’ renewed interest, which she found out about through texts from friends. She said she hoped viewers would appreciate the show despite the fact that some jokes may not land in 2023.

“My wish is that they’ll be able to maybe watch it away from some of the baggage it came with of the moment,” she said.

Even Ms. Dunham senses newfound distance between herself and the material. She recently watched a TikTok montage a friend sent her of Marnie (Allison Williams) and her love interest Charlie (Christopher Abbott) set to a Phoebe Bridgers song.

“I was actually quite moved,” Ms. Dunham said. “I almost forgot I had anything to do with it.”

by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2023 12:37 AM

I thought it was a terrific show.

by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2023 12:38 AM

When you rewatch it, it’s from a whole new LENS!

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2023 12:41 AM

They watched it the first time because they were stupid. They're watching it now for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 6March 17, 2023 12:43 AM

It’s ten years old now and people are nostalgic for life before the pandemic changed everything. Girls was a slice of life show filmed realistically. It’s really not that hard to explain.

by Anonymousreply 7March 17, 2023 12:47 AM

Additionally M3GAN was being marketed heavily in November and December so that would explain the sudden increase.

by Anonymousreply 8March 17, 2023 12:49 AM

I rewatched it a couple of years ago. Total waste of time. The first season was fine. By the time Daddy came out the show was a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 9March 17, 2023 12:51 AM

Did the Times conclude that the renewed interest in "Girls" is bad news for Democrats?

by Anonymousreply 10March 17, 2023 12:51 AM

People got over how much Lena Dunham sucks and realized it's actually a very good show.

by Anonymousreply 11March 17, 2023 12:54 AM

OP, because people can't believe that Lens never was human, really.

Like Rosie 0'Donnell in "Riding the Bus with My Sister," with an exhibitionism issue and a fist up her own cooch.

by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2023 12:57 AM

It's in my top 10 shows of all time up there with The Comeback, Mad Men, and The Sopranos..

And by far one of the shows you can rewatch over and over. I love that show!

by Anonymousreply 13March 17, 2023 1:08 AM

It was always a very well written show. I would probably watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 14March 17, 2023 1:10 AM

There was a scene where she tried to give a bj to a guy and the truck overturned. She also ran away from her bf instead of breaking up with him.

It was weird. She sucks.

by Anonymousreply 15March 17, 2023 1:12 AM

Me too, r13. I only watched Sopranos once, when it was on, and haven’t revisited it yet, but I’ve watched the entirety of Mad Men, The Comeback, and Girls at least twice, and some episodes of The Comeback and Mad Men several times. Lena may annoy the fuck out of me, but Girls was a really great show.

by Anonymousreply 16March 17, 2023 1:12 AM

I'd rather rewatch GOLDEN Girls.

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2023 1:22 AM

As that quoted line about ‘the voice ... or at least A voice ... of my generation ‘ shows, there was always a lot of self-satire going on. Yes, the characters were mostly irritating but well acted and the show was usually well written.

by Anonymousreply 18March 17, 2023 1:23 AM

Just like Lens herself, the show is really huge now

by Anonymousreply 19March 17, 2023 1:25 AM

[quote]Ms. Dunham said. “I almost forgot I had anything to do with it.”

My sides, Lens!

by Anonymousreply 20March 17, 2023 1:26 AM

Allison Williams Effect. M3GAN's first trailer dropped in October, movie landed in January. Check the numbers for GET OUT and THE PERFECTION, I bet they're up as well.

by Anonymousreply 21March 17, 2023 1:39 AM

Millennial women are having a collective midlife crisis, with none of the usual trappings of midlife- husband, kids, house, overwhelming career - and this is nostalgic pablum to soothe them.

by Anonymousreply 22March 17, 2023 1:50 AM

I’ve rewatched the scene of Andrew Rannels fucking Corey Stoll a few times…

by Anonymousreply 23March 17, 2023 2:06 AM

First I watched this when I was in highschool, and then I rewatched the series during college with my roommate. I rewatched again last summer, and now that I'm out of college and in my 20s like the characters, I have a newfound understanding of the show and what it's really about. I can't believe someone my age made that show. I feel like I actually entered the real world after graduating college, and the unsettled and confused and directionless feeling that I have can really be seen in the lives of all 4 of the girls. I feel like I'm more of a Shosh, in that I had a pretty sheltered life and I dedicated so much of my life to making the "right" decisions. I've only been in one relationship and I spend a lot of time trying to keep myself well groomed and on a routine. But I feel this urge to completely break out and completely shift my life, similar to how she went to Japan. I genuinely didn't understand why she would want to go to Tokyo if she lived in New York, but I sort of get it now. She was trying to break free.

by Anonymousreply 24March 17, 2023 2:17 AM

Wow, the NYT is really hitting it out of the park with these intellectual thinkpieces.

by Anonymousreply 25March 17, 2023 2:48 AM

The NYTimes is asking because they've been hyping her since day 1 thanks to her connections, and they are damn mad she was over before she began.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 17, 2023 3:00 AM

I was never sure was unintentionally being humorous or not. Like I remember dying laughing when Hannah was hanging out in a summer house wearing a bikini, including while playing ping pong. And let’s not forget the end when she clearly had a black baby.

by Anonymousreply 27March 17, 2023 5:17 AM

I couldn't even imagine having to sit through it once.

by Anonymousreply 28March 17, 2023 5:21 AM

Girls! Girls!

by Anonymousreply 29March 17, 2023 7:20 AM

A lot of the characters are underwritten. I didn’t realize what an enigma Shoshanna was until Dunham admitted it in the behind the scenes after the episodes. She said she wanted viewers to see that she was “surprise” actually smart, and “surprise” actually engaged. It’s like she was living this whole life off screen that we knew nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 30March 17, 2023 7:20 AM

I couldn't bring myself to watch Girls when it aired because there were too many think-pieces about it. I might try watching it.

by Anonymousreply 31March 17, 2023 7:34 AM

There were about 2 or 3 funny moments per episode, but most of the characters (and the actors who played them) were just too obnoxious and insufferable to make it worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 32March 17, 2023 7:45 AM

Next Up: Older Gen Z rediscover Lil' Peep.

by Anonymousreply 33March 17, 2023 7:57 AM

This show might as well have never existed for all I ever heard about it.

by Anonymousreply 34March 17, 2023 8:07 AM

I always liked Alison Williams as Marnie. She was so unlikeable, I started to like her. I admired Williams for not trying to make her a more likeable character.

And the Andrew Rannells episode about auditioning for the musical version of White Men Can’t Jump was a standout. He really should’ve been Emmy-nominated for that.

by Anonymousreply 35March 17, 2023 10:27 AM

Alison Williams is a national treasure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 17, 2023 10:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 17, 2023 10:39 AM

Allison!

by Anonymousreply 38March 17, 2023 10:40 AM

And Adam Driver was just fearless in this role. His character was so awful most of the time and yet his commitment and charisma make him believable.

Oh and Lou Taylor Pucci’s disgusted face at Hannah’s horrific attempt at sexy talk - the kind of talk she and Adam did -is burnt into my brain. Ir surprises me that people don’t see the humour in this show.

by Anonymousreply 39March 17, 2023 11:36 AM

R24= Lens Dunham

by Anonymousreply 40March 17, 2023 11:53 AM

I heart r33

by Anonymousreply 41March 17, 2023 11:55 AM

"... before the pandemic changed everything."

The flu changed nothing. Most of us had to go to work every day as usual. It's almost forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 42March 17, 2023 12:52 PM

This thread is full of Frauen.

by Anonymousreply 43March 17, 2023 12:57 PM

Could the NYT please go out and hire just ONE journalist? I've got a subscription and I've never read drivel like the stuff they've been spewing during the last 12 months.

Note that the article says viewership doubled between Nov and Jan compared with the previous three months. That could mean 3 people were watching it before and now 6 are.

by Anonymousreply 44March 17, 2023 1:45 PM

Interesting that no one ever harps on this show for having all white main characters.

Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 45March 17, 2023 2:21 PM

Are they sure those rewatches aren't all just Lena eating ice-cream and glued to the tv wondering where it all went so wrong?

by Anonymousreply 46March 17, 2023 2:26 PM

[quote]Interesting that no one ever harps on this show for having all white main characters.

Are you joking? There was a whole controversy that was even referenced in the show with Donald Glover's one-episode appearance.

by Anonymousreply 47March 17, 2023 2:28 PM

It’s a great show. A lot of DL is too old for it, which I don’t mean as a bad thing. I’m the same age as Lens and ran in similar circles - she PERFECTLY captured a certain type of millennial - liberal arts college educated, pseudo cultured, aimless and miserable.

And yes, these social circles are largely white and privileged.

by Anonymousreply 48March 17, 2023 2:37 PM

This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 49March 17, 2023 2:38 PM

R40 Shoshanna is really the only redeemable one of the main cast, and I think for that to be the case she had to have an implied off-screen life rather than throw around her narcissism and issues like the other three all the time.

I also never got the uproar over Lens looks at the time - she’s obese now, but looked like an average woman you’d see on the street when the show began. Is it because she dared to not look like a supermodel and have sex on an HBO show?

by Anonymousreply 50March 17, 2023 2:39 PM

[quote]series about four white women

LOL.

Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 51March 17, 2023 2:40 PM

The funniest scene is when the one bitch sings that Kanye song as a piano ballad for her work party

by Anonymousreply 52March 17, 2023 2:50 PM

This shit didn't define us any more than "All in the Family" defined the Greatest Generation.

Some people were like these cartoonish ghouls, but most were not.

by Anonymousreply 53March 17, 2023 2:53 PM

Girls was, for the most part, a mordant and bang-on depiction of millennial Brooklyn and all its attendant bullshit circa the 2010s - much more so than the Gen X fantasia of Sex and the City.

And yeah, it’s hilarious how much sputtering rage the idea that a neurotic and not particularly likeable woman who looked like a 24 year old Lena Dunham (or a 33 year old Sarah Jessica Parker) could find good(ish) looking guys to have sex with them - even if whatever the decade’s version of happily ever after proved elusive. Did anyone ever have that much to say about the sex lives of the supporting cast of Entourage? To say nothing of all the implausibly gorgeous strippers and goomars of the Sopranos.

by Anonymousreply 54March 17, 2023 3:15 PM

The point they’re broad caricatures that do depict aspects of real people.

by Anonymousreply 55March 17, 2023 3:19 PM

[qoute] Additionally M3GAN was being marketed heavily in November and December so that would explain the sudden increase.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 56March 17, 2023 3:19 PM

R10 Also it is clearly problematic. Everything is.

by Anonymousreply 57March 17, 2023 3:31 PM

Girls captures that know it all phase of the early/mid 20s really well and how much of a mask it is. The characters were insufferable, but they were supposed to be that way because they were all narcissists Who thought they knew everything and came to find out they didn’t. They were all a mess.

I watched the show a few years back, and I still found it to be funny because it captures that age well and with humor.

by Anonymousreply 58March 17, 2023 4:15 PM

However, Lena Dunham really bombed with her finale episode and should’ve left it with the episode before where they all seem happy in their lives at the party although they are different and growing apart. For whatever reason, Lena really had to bomb the ending with something that was kind of ridiculous with Hannah’s move to upstate New York with her baby, and then Marnie going with her, but realizing it was a mistake. Seemed to be an unnecessary epilogue and then otherwise good show.

by Anonymousreply 59March 17, 2023 4:20 PM

[quote]The flu changed nothing. Most of us had to go to work every day as usual. It's almost forgotten.

A great many of us worked from home. You must be one of those anti-vaxxers who "did my own research."

by Anonymousreply 60March 17, 2023 6:02 PM

R60 Essential workers never worked from home. A good third to half of the workforce.

by Anonymousreply 61March 17, 2023 6:26 PM

Christopher Abbott was and still is adorable.

Exactly my type.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 17, 2023 6:45 PM

[quote]However, Lena Dunham really bombed with her finale episode and should’ve left it with the episode before where they all seem happy in their lives at the party although they are different and growing apart. For whatever reason, Lena really had to bomb the ending with something that was kind of ridiculous with Hannah’s move to upstate New York with her baby, and then Marnie going with her, but realizing it was a mistake. Seemed to be an unnecessary epilogue and then otherwise good show.

I completely agree with this.

by Anonymousreply 63March 17, 2023 6:53 PM

R63 I agree for a show it sucked but I had a friend exactly her age who decided to have her baby and was a mess about it so it range true. Those type of girls are desperate for someone to love them so If they get accidentally pregnant they tend to keep it.

by Anonymousreply 64March 17, 2023 6:56 PM

She should have gone full Springer and had a baby with Adam, who ended up with Jessa at the end of the show IIRC. Mess!

by Anonymousreply 65March 17, 2023 6:58 PM

At least make it make sense. First off she and Ruiz Ahmed were so unrealistic and then, due to criticism of lack of black characters, she has a black baby.

by Anonymousreply 66March 17, 2023 6:59 PM

Riz ^

by Anonymousreply 67March 17, 2023 7:00 PM

Adam and Jessa made absolutely no sense as a couple. That’s my one issue with the ending of the show. I can buy them as a fling, or fuckbuddies, but married?

I think Hannah’s ending was extremely realistic. A lot of women like her have children as a way of attempting to “complete” themselves and totally fail at motherhood.

by Anonymousreply 68March 17, 2023 7:04 PM

GIRLS is one of those shows that I could see coming back for more episodes, like SATC. I wouldn't mind getting an update on the characters.

by Anonymousreply 69March 17, 2023 7:22 PM

What would the reboot be called? And Just Like Fat? A Voice of a Generation?

by Anonymousreply 70March 17, 2023 8:56 PM

I agree the show was well written, and if you watched it understanding that it was meant to be a satire it was genuinely funny. But what made that so hard was that the Hannah character would act so narcissistic, so unself-aware, and so entitled, and you'd think it was parody, and then Lena would say something on social media in her own voice that was even more narcissistic and unself-aware and entitled, so it became hard to see if she was really in the joke.

I guess it's best understood as being akin to Woody Allen being a neurotic sex-obsessed hypochondriac in real life and then making fun of that in all his movies. The difference was that Allen was never on social media, so you always assumed it was just a put-on; with Dunham we knew differently because she couldn't shut up about herself on social media.

by Anonymousreply 71March 17, 2023 9:03 PM

[quote]Interesting that no one ever harps on this show for having all white main characters.

Only 3 of the Girls were white. And were any of the guys white, besides Andrew?

by Anonymousreply 72March 17, 2023 9:08 PM

Which one wasn’t white?!

by Anonymousreply 73March 17, 2023 9:31 PM

Shoshanna was Armenian. She had that whole spiel about passing as white and how her real name was Oni but the kids at school couldn’t pronounce it so just called her Annie.

by Anonymousreply 74March 17, 2023 9:48 PM

Wait…what?! I watched it and I don’t remember that. I thought she was just American Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 75March 17, 2023 9:55 PM

I did not care for that STOCK FAGGOT character of Elijah.

Super Queeny

Super Sceney

Super Bitchy

He was there only to play off the straight girl characters- he could make bitchy, nasty remarks about Hannah's weight and clothes. There's no way they could have a low key gay guy who was only slightly effeminate because he would not be earning his keep as a GAY court jester the way Andrew Rannell's character of Elijah did.

by Anonymousreply 76March 18, 2023 1:58 AM

Loved that hilarious scene where Andrew Rannells jerks off the freshman at the Oberlin party.

by Anonymousreply 77March 18, 2023 2:33 AM

I think I saw less than 10 minutes of this show and that was all it took for me to realize it was shit. Dunham, who is quite unattractive, is told by her equally unattractive lover Adam Driver "You're pretty." And she replies "Fuck you." Why would anybody want to watch crud like this? Something must be wrong with them.

by Anonymousreply 78March 18, 2023 3:11 AM

We watched it for Adam Driver

by Anonymousreply 79March 18, 2023 3:18 AM

R78- He looks Neanderthal but was still out of her league.

by Anonymousreply 80March 18, 2023 3:21 AM

I know DL loves to ridicule Lena, because there’s a lot there to ridicule. But I love this show and admire her for being such a fucking weirdo. She’s a nut but, ultimately, she’s our nut.

by Anonymousreply 81March 18, 2023 3:23 AM

R80 I think they’re evenly matched, face wise. People are just much harsher on women’s looks.

by Anonymousreply 82March 18, 2023 3:28 AM

Look over here! At me!!! My show has been rebooted.

by Anonymousreply 83March 18, 2023 3:43 AM

R78 you sound fat

by Anonymousreply 84March 18, 2023 5:01 AM

It was ridiculous that Andrew Rannells was playing someone 15 years younger than his actual age. No way Elijah was the same age as Hannah but they were in the same grade in college.

by Anonymousreply 85March 18, 2023 5:05 AM

I love that it's a show with a completely white cast, which is so rare these days. Now notice that they always hire a biracial or asian girl sidekick, and then they have to have a moralistic B-plot which "underlines the importance of diversity or the harm of microaggressions and blah blah blah." It's a distraction from the main themes and plot of the show but the point is to win DEI points with the press and the liberal critics. But it makes sense, Lena is actually a real woman genius, so it makes sense they would go after her. They'd rather support a woman with no talent, like Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling or Issa Rae

by Anonymousreply 86March 18, 2023 5:31 AM

R84, you sound like one of the mental defectives who like this show. No, you ARE one.

by Anonymousreply 87March 18, 2023 5:55 AM

I’ve rewatched it a bunch of times. It’s hilarious. Lens is talented. It’s a good show to watch when you’re depressed

by Anonymousreply 88March 18, 2023 6:18 AM

[quote]He looks Neanderthal but was still out of her league.

All of her love interests and flings were our of her league: Driver, Donald Glover, Patrick Wilson, Jake Lacy, Riz Ahmed, etc. The only one who looked like a guy a non-rich/famous Lena Dunham might get is Laird, the beanie-wearing recovering addict who lived in her building and had a crush on her. (He ended up with Gaby Hoffmann.)

I just accepted Hannah's array of love interests on Girls as creator/showrunner privilege.

Someone mentioned the beautiful strippers and mistresses on The Sopranos, but no one expected us to believe James Gandolfini was in the same range of attractiveness as Oksana Lada and that she was with Tony because he was handsome, sexy, and great in bed. He was (within the limits of Irina's world) rich and powerful. She had been a dancer at his strip club, and being put up by him in a nice place was better than parading her wares at the Bada Bing. All of the ugly guy/beautiful woman pairings on that show had a similar power dynamic.

Anyway, I unknowingly added to those skyrocketing numbers! I watched Girls in whole in December/January. I'd never seen it. It never becomes as great a show as its best scenes promise, and there are storylines and characters that keep limping forward for much too long (such as Marnie's relationship with her maddening singer/songwriter boyfriend), but I enjoyed it on the whole. It ran for six seasons, and it's the kind of series from which you can pull out ten episodes that make it seem a major triumph. And they wouldn't all be early or late; highlights were scattered throughout. "The Panic in Central Park" and "American Bitch" are two of the best, and they are from seasons 5 and 6, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 89March 18, 2023 6:52 AM

R78 yes, but not fatter than Lens

by Anonymousreply 90March 18, 2023 9:55 AM

Some of you picky queens expect far to much content that fits exactly your taste. How do you find ANYTHING to watch?

Oh right, from 40 to death, it's just reruns of your same old 5 favourite series.

by Anonymousreply 91March 18, 2023 10:09 AM

Adam driver is just as ugly as she is

by Anonymousreply 92March 18, 2023 10:15 AM

This reads like a low level pr puff piece.

It speaks volumes that this show never hit it big in the gay community, since four women ensemble shows are almost beloved from the get go.

by Anonymousreply 93March 18, 2023 10:26 AM

I will admit to enjoying Rannells’ character.

Also, someone on here once described Driver as looking like a gnu and I’ve never been able to unsee it.

Those two were the best actors on the show and made it watchable.

by Anonymousreply 94March 18, 2023 10:51 AM

The only scene that matters in the entire series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 18, 2023 12:06 PM

The episode called BAD FRIEND is my favorite. It's the one where Lens spends the whole evening walking around NYC in a mesh top and her tits out. It's honestly hilarious, and I'm virtually dead inside so that says a lot.

by Anonymousreply 96March 18, 2023 12:42 PM

Hannah’s second boyfriend was even more out of her league than the Neanderthal.

He looked like a real live version of Howdy Doody

by Anonymousreply 97March 18, 2023 12:51 PM

Roberta Smith, chief art critic of the NY Times, is related to Lens. One reason why the Times keeps publishing pieces on her.,

by Anonymousreply 98March 18, 2023 1:11 PM

I still think most datalounge queens liked the original 1998 to 2004 Sex And The City better than GIRLS.

I enjoyed GIRLS overall but I'm still team SATC.

by Anonymousreply 99March 18, 2023 1:13 PM

R91 Let me guess, Golden Girls, Will & Grace, Bewitched, The Nanny, and maybe throw in an old soap opera like Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 100March 18, 2023 4:29 PM

I loved it when Marnie remade that dumb 90s song that goes “I’m not aware of too many things…” It was just so tacky and such a random song to choose to do. Lena wrote that well.

by Anonymousreply 101March 18, 2023 6:08 PM

Hi Lena @ R91. There are plenty of great shows on TV today. That doesn't change the fact that yours was nothing more than nepo-baby navel gazing disguised as high art.

SNL did a vicious parody of the show, that was one of the few funny things they've done in the last twenty years.

by Anonymousreply 102March 18, 2023 6:10 PM

R96- Mine too!!!! And 2nd is the Panic In Needle Park takeoff which Charlie and Marnie- 3rd probably involves the episode when Hannah's boss dies- David Pressler Goings? It's a fucking classic. It heavily features Gabi Hoffman, who I also love. Loved the Japan episodes too-

And I love Llaird and Booth Jonathan. The show had great secondary characters..

AND SOOJIN!@@@@ I love Soojin!!!! (Greta Lee was supposed to have some awesome show built around her 7-8 years ago, but then it never happened..

Love this show.

by Anonymousreply 103March 18, 2023 10:24 PM

I am 44 in May, I wonder how old the haters are vs. the lovers. I was almost an entire generation ahead of these chicks. I remember being 33 when this show started and it totally resonated.

by Anonymousreply 104March 18, 2023 10:26 PM

[quote]I loved it when Marnie remade that dumb 90s song that goes “I’m not aware of too many things…”

"What I Am" (Edie Brickell's only real hit) is a late-eighties song. She, Melissa Etheridge, and Tracy Chapman all released their debut albums the same year, 1988.

The Marnie video of it was hilarious: the auto-tune, the emphatic gestures, the calculated-looking "casual" poses mixed in. I only wished it had gone on longer, or that the show had provided a full-length version for YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 105March 19, 2023 6:06 AM

The.joy of this show is hate watching it. It's coherent enough and well-produced enough to actually be a sustainable hate watch, instead of just hating the concept as it plays out over an episode or two.

I loved the indulgence and therapy of hating these little brats but also seeing parallels from my terrible 20's. I hated Lens as an over-indulged millennial personality, but hated more that she "gets it" about a lot of things, did some smart casting (Scolari!), and knew exactly which buttons to push. There's.juat as much to learn and observe as there is to hate here.

I also enjoy pissing off people who react pompously to the show like R78. What a shallow cunt.

by Anonymousreply 106March 19, 2023 7:00 AM

I’m curious to watch it now that I can better manage my irrational dislike of Lena Dunham.

by Anonymousreply 107March 19, 2023 7:02 AM

Lena may be easy to make fun of but she was brilliant. She’s the voice of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 108March 19, 2023 9:01 AM

People need to re watch Six Feet Under

by Anonymousreply 109March 19, 2023 2:20 PM

I love being part of the zeitgeist. So I'm going recherché and rewatching "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"! Also, the cognoscenti have moved on from "Girls" rewatching to "2 Broke Girls".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110March 19, 2023 2:27 PM

Natasha Lyonne was perfect casting to play Louise Lasser's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 111March 19, 2023 2:31 PM

Before there was [italic]The White Lotus ...[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 19, 2023 2:33 PM

Was probably the target age demo for this (younger Millennial female) and never bothered watching it. Should I? The typical Millennial experience of binge-drinking and app-fucking and avo toast has never applied to my life, so I don't think I'll relate to it. Sometimes you can be too broke and depressed and hiki to relate to normal-person television.

Then again, I never bothered watching Breaking Bad or Game Of Thrones or Succession or White Lotus etc., either, and everyone says I should. Seems like too much bother to wade through all that now. Or is all that necessary Western cultural literacy by now?

by Anonymousreply 113March 19, 2023 3:36 PM

The show never claimed to be writing about a "universal" millennial experience. Hannah claimed that she was doing that, but she is a character on the show, not the show. I feel like media types conflated Lena with Hannah in a way that distorted the general perception of the show.

The characters are strange and specific and damaged in strangely specific ways.

by Anonymousreply 114March 19, 2023 3:53 PM

R111, You are UNCONCHABLE!! Absolutely UNCONCHABLE!!!

by Anonymousreply 115March 19, 2023 3:56 PM

Boy oh boy the Times has gone down the crapper in recent years. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 116March 19, 2023 4:13 PM

If people watch this show because the characters "resonate" with them and they identify with them then God help them. God.Help.Them.

by Anonymousreply 117March 19, 2023 10:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!