Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paul Mescal’s ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ adds extra shows due to high demand and selling out

In case you didn’t know, the production of “A Streetcar Named Desire” was showing in East London to sold out shows every single night. In January it was extended and moved to West London’s Phoenix Theater, and within minutes the first batch of tickets sold out, especially after Paul’s Oscar nomination.

Now more shows are being added due to the high demand to see it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283May 19, 2023 12:52 AM

How to get tickets

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 16, 2023 6:41 PM

Who wants to see his ugly mug on stage?

by Anonymousreply 2March 16, 2023 6:42 PM

“Tickets for the upcoming West End transfer of the Almeida Theatre's acclaimed production of Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire went on sale February 1, and the classic drama completely sold out in two hours, making it the fastest-selling production for any Ambassador Theatre Group production or venue.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 16, 2023 6:44 PM

"Who wants to see his ugly mug on stage?"

well, apparently a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 4March 16, 2023 6:45 PM

Did he write a new version? It to be Tenessee Williams ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’.

by Anonymousreply 5March 16, 2023 6:45 PM

He looks like an old woman.

by Anonymousreply 6March 16, 2023 6:45 PM

2 hours??? Ha! It would sell it in 1 if I headlined it.

by Anonymousreply 7March 16, 2023 6:46 PM

Hi, Paul Mescal troll.

by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2023 6:46 PM

Does he whip out his Irish cock again?

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2023 6:46 PM

NYTimes gave his performance an incredible review.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 16, 2023 6:56 PM

Yes, supposedly his performance throughout this production has been nothing short of incredible. Even celebs are going to see him in it.

by Anonymousreply 11March 16, 2023 6:58 PM

Hope it is better than the awful Gillian Anderson version.

by Anonymousreply 12March 16, 2023 7:01 PM

Five threads in one day about Paul Mescal but I still don't find OP irritating. There is something endearing in his adoration, unlike other trolls we could mention.

by Anonymousreply 13March 16, 2023 7:12 PM

r12 I love that version. Still have it on my computer, I ripped it in HD when it was briefly available on YouTube during the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 14March 16, 2023 7:13 PM

It's getting too much, he's shining too bright, this is not sustainable.

by Anonymousreply 15March 16, 2023 7:14 PM

R14 Golly, what did you love?

by Anonymousreply 16March 16, 2023 7:14 PM

that is a total awig pic.

by Anonymousreply 17March 16, 2023 7:16 PM

There is something about him I like. I really liked him In After Sun. I thought his performance in that wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 18March 16, 2023 7:22 PM

His odd encounter with Nicole Kidman when she came backstage to meet him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 16, 2023 7:24 PM

I believe the first London production of this was a bit disastrous, due to thoughtless cuts by Olivier and his shaky handle on the overall story’s environment. He only took it on to please his wife. I don’t think audiences or critics even loved it that much.

Has ANY British version been a big success? Maybe this play just isn’t for them.

by Anonymousreply 20March 16, 2023 7:26 PM

R20 this version IS a big success.

by Anonymousreply 21March 16, 2023 7:27 PM

r20 if it was “disastrous” it wouldn’t have been extended in the first place. In reality it was sold out every night. That’s a success story.

After being extended, every single show sold out within 2 hours of ticket sales starting, making it the fastest selling production. See r3

Do research before posting.

by Anonymousreply 22March 16, 2023 7:29 PM

Is December Angelina and Shiloh went to see the play and then went out to coffee with Mescal. This sparked dating rumors that were false.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 16, 2023 7:32 PM

PageSix ran with it but she was just singing his praises for an incredible performance in Streetcar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 16, 2023 7:33 PM

R7: You had your chance to do West End theater but you turned it down to do studio films. Good luck with Wonka.

by Anonymousreply 25March 16, 2023 7:35 PM

[quote] "Who wants to see his ugly mug on stage?"

Yeeeeah R2, I don't find him appealing either. Especially in that OP photo. He should be a decent actor, though. I'll give him that until I see him in something.

by Anonymousreply 26March 16, 2023 7:38 PM

[quote]r22 if it was “disastrous” it wouldn’t have been extended in the first place.

Oh, was Laurence Olivier involved in the current revival? Or could I have been speaking of the original production… as I stated?

[quote] Do research before posting.

Learn to read before replying.

by Anonymousreply 27March 16, 2023 7:40 PM

OP's picture is particularly unflattering. He has what we in Ireland call a "big Irish head" in it.

by Anonymousreply 28March 16, 2023 7:42 PM

It’s nice to see someone gaining steam based off actual talent and not looks.

by Anonymousreply 29March 16, 2023 7:54 PM

Can't be a serious actor without following Brando

by Anonymousreply 30March 16, 2023 7:58 PM

Paul's state of mind in this picture- you choose the most likely:

1) He's obsessively worrying that he may not be attractive enough for the DL gays;

2) He's concerned that he didn't pack enough sticks to beat away the people in the audience who love him way too much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 16, 2023 8:36 PM

I like his taint.

by Anonymousreply 32March 16, 2023 8:49 PM

R29: It’s nice to see someone gaining stream based off actual talent and not Chalamet level media hype.

by Anonymousreply 33March 16, 2023 9:07 PM

R33 that too

by Anonymousreply 34March 17, 2023 1:06 AM

He does nothing for me but I LOVE that gold jacket !

by Anonymousreply 35March 17, 2023 1:31 AM

Prey eyes.

by Anonymousreply 36March 17, 2023 1:35 AM

R7 It might but only because it would then be regarded as a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 37March 17, 2023 1:48 AM

La Chalamet is shitting her pants.

by Anonymousreply 38March 17, 2023 2:08 AM

I'm a Streetcar fanatic but honestly from what I read in the reviews, however outstanding they may be, they dont exactly fill me with a burning desire to go. The actors are too young (yes I know in the play they are the around that age, but there's a reason it's always been cast at least a little older than that) , its supposed to be a "modern" take with no furniture and little props, and has the now way over done water/rain effects when "shit gets real" to show us just how much turmoil the characters are going through(blegh) and from interviews with the director it seems like a very simplistic reading of the play. And I have to say, an irish actor, a spanish-british actress (who I hate to say is not exactly a beauty, fading or otherwise) and an indian/british (playing sister to a white actress) actor all barely over 30 save Mescal who is 27, in a bare London stage hardly reads as steamy New Orleans in the late 40s to me.

by Anonymousreply 39March 17, 2023 2:37 AM

R39 ok….

by Anonymousreply 40March 17, 2023 2:45 AM

R38: Barry Keoghan is in talks to join the Gladiator sequel. La Chalamet is having diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 41March 17, 2023 3:01 AM

There is nothing alluring about this man. Every facial feature is unattractive. His hair is stupid-looking.

My disbelief cannot be suspended sufficiently.

by Anonymousreply 42March 17, 2023 3:19 AM

R42 that’s your opinion. I respect it. But I disagree. I find him quite sexy in a very odd way. He’s not conventionally attractive but still attractive

by Anonymousreply 43March 17, 2023 3:23 AM

He is not masculine. He is the weak sort of Irish. Not a beautiful souled poet like Cillian Murphy, no Colin Farrell smoldering sensuality, and no stoic sensitivity, yet brute hunkiness like Liam. Even Barry Keogh has a puppy dog charisma I adore.

This guy is a big nothing.

by Anonymousreply 44March 17, 2023 3:40 AM

I personally don’t see him as a Blanche, but times are changing. And I haven’t seen the production .

by Anonymousreply 45March 17, 2023 3:47 AM

Rain ? So its like a Flash dance scene?

by Anonymousreply 46March 17, 2023 4:00 AM

This girl has to sell her ticket, if anyone wants to buy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 17, 2023 4:04 AM

I wish flying to London and back was still dirt cheap like it used to be. I would legit make it a day trip to fly over, see his show, and then fly back 😂

In the 90s people used to do that for things like beanie babies etc. they would fly to London to find the beanie babies not available in the states, go have lunch etc. and then fly back home. And not rich people, just normal everyday suburban folks

by Anonymousreply 48March 17, 2023 4:06 AM

Tickets to Streetcar are more expensive than Beyoncé concert tickets. And I like how everyone makes it clear it’s to see Paul Mescal in Streetcar and not just see Streetcar lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 17, 2023 4:10 AM

The theater raised the ticket prices after adding shows because the demand was so high to see Paul Mescal. Some people are slamming the theater for taking advantage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 17, 2023 4:11 AM

He’s so in demand right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 17, 2023 4:13 AM

Fuck whoever this bitch who recorded this is. They got some of the audio but couldn’t record actual footage?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 17, 2023 4:31 AM

R2- people who r sexually attracted to rats

by Anonymousreply 53March 17, 2023 4:34 AM

who is the lesbian who keep posting this rat face bully again n again

by Anonymousreply 54March 17, 2023 4:35 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 55March 17, 2023 5:52 AM

Terrible pic of him, OP. He looks like a younger Temple Grandin.

by Anonymousreply 56March 17, 2023 9:31 AM

Won't be as good as the recent "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" revival in the West End, where gorgeous Jack O'Connell get his floppy cock out for a paying audience!

Is Paul going to whip his willy out during the "Stella!" finale!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 17, 2023 9:56 AM

R50 assuming the theatre didn't have to pay a higher fee to extend their residence or give the actors a big bonus, this is indeed unfair but unsurprising

by Anonymousreply 58March 17, 2023 12:00 PM

"It to be Tenessee Williams..."

Nell?

by Anonymousreply 59March 17, 2023 12:14 PM

OT: why is there no Bway musical based on NELL??

[italic]Chicka, chicka, chickabee / T’ee an me an t’ee an me / Ressa, ressa ressa me / Chicka, chicka, chickabee [/italic]

The lyrics write themselves!

by Anonymousreply 60March 17, 2023 11:52 PM

This positive review speaks well for Mescal's acting ability; theatre acting is tough. That said, I'm not a fan of tricked out stage version of old classics (like Cat On a Hot Tin Roof with talent-challenged Sienna Miller), but he's apparently more substance than might originally appear. Mescal might have actually been an interesting choice for a movie like Dune: he's young, a bit of cypher, but also someone that reflects the Paul in the Dune novel that could be dangerous. Whatever the case, I surprised DL doesn't like him more since he seems to be the ant-Timmy

by Anonymousreply 61March 18, 2023 12:46 AM

I don’t think DL has an issue with him. Most who’ve seen Aftersun seem to have mostly positive opinions

by Anonymousreply 62March 18, 2023 12:48 AM

R61 the jury is out for me due to claims he was a homophobic douche in his younger years

by Anonymousreply 63March 18, 2023 12:48 AM

R63 you can keep on saying it over and over but a 3 year old anonymous Reddit post really doesn’t hold the weight you want it to.

by Anonymousreply 64March 18, 2023 12:58 AM

It was mentioned above that Barry Keoghan ("The Banshees of Inisherin") is in talks to join the Gladiator sequel.

Today the Hollywood Reporter says:

[quote] Denzel Washington in Talks to Join Paul Mescal in ‘Gladiator’ Sequel

So, big movie.

by Anonymousreply 65March 18, 2023 1:01 AM

I think both things could be true: he's a talented guy, a big fish in a small pond in Ireland and he was a douchebag to his inferiors -straight & gay alike. But now he's in a far different pool of people, he can't be be perceived as too uppity. I wouldn't necessarily doubt that all of that stuff is true, because he just thought he'd be some big swing dick in Ireland, not an international star

by Anonymousreply 66March 18, 2023 1:03 AM

It was one post from 3 years ago from an ANONYMOUS poster on Reddit. Seriously. I pray anyone who is taking that serious doesn’t get to vote or ever have jury duty. Absolutely zero critical thinking skills.

by Anonymousreply 67March 18, 2023 1:06 AM

He plays the street or the car?

by Anonymousreply 68March 18, 2023 1:19 AM

They had to retitle it "A Streetcar Named Butterface".

by Anonymousreply 69March 18, 2023 1:40 AM

I saw it just after Christmas. Yes the staging was a bit off as it's in the round and the rain is gimmicky but the performances were excellent and Patsy Ferran was superb and believable as Blanche. Paul had the right amount of menacing and brute arrogance as Stanley (even if the accent did slip into a tad of an Irish twang at times). And for all you thirsty bitches he does get down to his underwear in one scene. However the mullet he's sporting was more West Virginia than New Orleans.

by Anonymousreply 70March 18, 2023 2:06 AM

Well now it’s in a new theater on the West-End. I think the new theater holds more people but the stage is smaller.

by Anonymousreply 71March 18, 2023 2:08 AM

R64- fuck off mike pence

by Anonymousreply 72March 18, 2023 6:46 AM

the shade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 18, 2023 8:05 AM

[quote] I believe the first London production of this was a bit disastrous, due to thoughtless cuts by Olivier and his shaky handle on the overall story’s environment.

Who gave you those 'beliefs' from 70 years ago? What is it that lunatic named Donald Spoto?

by Anonymousreply 74March 18, 2023 8:28 AM

R61, Good to know that, re: positive reviews, acting ability, and theater.

R65, Good to know about the "cred" of Denzel.

My points, boys:

Austin Butler received a better review in "The New Yorker" for Denzel's 2018 "The Iceman Cometh" than did Denzel and the rest of the cast.

Point 2: Denzel cold-called Baz to recommend Austin for "Elvis."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 18, 2023 12:19 PM

Stanley O'Kowalski.

by Anonymousreply 76March 18, 2023 12:53 PM

Cultural appropriation. The author isn’t named Tipperary Williams.

by Anonymousreply 77March 18, 2023 3:17 PM

I like Streetcar but what does a "deeply empathic" view of Stanley mean?

They better not be whitewashing him. He's a scumbag.

by Anonymousreply 78March 18, 2023 3:32 PM

Probably means Mescal’s portrayal of him adds elements to him where he’s a lot more troubled but not evil.

by Anonymousreply 79March 18, 2023 3:37 PM

He really was a pig R78 but with someone as beautiful as Marlon playing him you just wanted to be the one to civilise and change him. Not so much when played by the likes of Alex Baldwin or Paul here who, while not unattractive, is hardly a stunner like Brando.

by Anonymousreply 80March 18, 2023 3:37 PM

R79. Right. So... whitewashing.

R80. Even when Marlon played him I thought the character was a sack of shit.

I know it wasn't true to the original but I didn't mind the changed ending. I just kept thinking "YES! Get the fuck out Stella!"

by Anonymousreply 81March 18, 2023 3:40 PM

That would probably be a personal choice of the actor r81.

by Anonymousreply 82March 18, 2023 3:43 PM

I hope to make it out!

by Anonymousreply 83March 18, 2023 3:51 PM

Stanley is a rapist, but Blanche was a crazy old nympho who prick-teased him and led him on. That's how he's "empathetic."

by Anonymousreply 84March 18, 2023 4:03 PM

Stanley's rape of Blanche was a form of shock therapy, an attempt to make her see reality and lose her romantic views of the racist and oppressive Plantation South. To shock her out of her "Belle Reve."

That's how Stanley can be enacted as an "empathetic" character.

by Anonymousreply 85March 18, 2023 4:08 PM

[quote] That's how Stanley can be enacted as an "empathetic" character.

There's virtualy nothing "empathetic" about the rape in the play or the character of Stanley in general. He's completely the opposite of that word in every way, to the last moment of the play.

by Anonymousreply 86March 18, 2023 4:27 PM

If I were in London, maybe, maybe, I'd go. I sure wouldnt remotely consider a trip just for the occasion of seeing this okay actor in yet another production of this undeniably great play.

by Anonymousreply 87March 18, 2023 4:28 PM

R84/R85. Well the purchasing habits of DLers are at your own discretion.

But I'm not buying either of those. I agree with R86.

And any attempt to make the audience empathize with Stanley, especially with Blanche right there, would be in poor taste in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 88March 18, 2023 4:32 PM

I’m seeing this in two weeks so I will report back!

BTW I *LOVED* the very avant garde Gillian Anderson revival from a few years ago, so sue me. Ben Foster was especially excellent and I adored the set/production design.

by Anonymousreply 89March 18, 2023 4:32 PM

[quote]R74 Who gave you those 'beliefs' from 70 years ago? What is it that lunatic named Donald Spoto?

Irene Mayer Selznick’s autobiography.

My impression is the play ran on Vivien Leigh’s box office appeal, but Laurence Olivier was very uncomfortable (and unfamiliar) with the material. He also cut the play’s text, without authorization, which weakened the piece’s lyricism. He finally had to lift the staging from the original New York prompt books and credit the play as “Directed by Laurence Olivier from the New York production."

In short, as a director Olivier had no personal connection to the material and was only there because Vivien Leigh wouldn’t do the show without him. You can get a good interpretation or production under those circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 90March 18, 2023 4:49 PM

^^ [bold]can’t [/bold]get

by Anonymousreply 91March 18, 2023 4:50 PM

That's a new one, R85--rape as "empathy."

by Anonymousreply 92March 18, 2023 5:02 PM

Oh please, I doubt he’d be taking gay roles when his career is hot if he was a homophobe. That entire Reddit crap was debunked. Are you all 13? Believing anonymous shit online as gospel?

by Anonymousreply 93March 18, 2023 5:10 PM

It's really not new, R92.

by Anonymousreply 94March 18, 2023 5:11 PM

Was it the Hays code where wrongdoers had to be punished for their actions that caused the changed ending to the movie?

by Anonymousreply 95March 18, 2023 5:28 PM

R95, Stanley isn't punished, unless you consider that Stella turns on him at the end, which she does not do in the play. Not much of a punishment.

by Anonymousreply 96March 18, 2023 5:47 PM

Where are some of you getting the idea that Stanley is empathic in this version?

by Anonymousreply 97March 18, 2023 7:04 PM

I still think the movie isn’t a happy ending. It’s not at all likely Stella stays away from Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 98March 18, 2023 7:05 PM

R96 I mean Stanley is "punished" by Stella leaving him with their baby, I was right, it was put in because they alluded to rape, therefore Stanley had to "suffer" at the end.

Here's an interesting short video I watched of how they had to make certain cuts and changes to appease the "Legion Of Decency", something I'd never heard of which could basically tell all Catholics not to see a movie or show it if they ran a cinema. So much power over content.

Interesting to have comparison with the restored version which is a bit more daring I guess

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 18, 2023 7:27 PM

Everything was highly censored back then. This isn’t news

by Anonymousreply 100March 18, 2023 7:34 PM

I paid hundreds of pounds to see Paul Mescal in this play, and I need to see him as a sexy bad boy deserving empathy!

by Anonymousreply 101March 18, 2023 7:36 PM

I never got this idea that "Brando was so good looking, he made you like Stanley".....because NO....I do find Stanley somewhat likeable or sympathetic at times (and I will die on the hill that we are meant to , again,at times) mostly if he's played with some nuance by the actor, but not because he's fucking good looking. I may fantasize about fucking him, but that doesn't mean I find him sympathetic as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 102March 18, 2023 7:47 PM

R98 I remember watching that at 13 and even then knowing they were implying that Stella returns to Stanley, yet most grown ass adults still think that's how the movie ends.

by Anonymousreply 103March 18, 2023 7:50 PM

Am I wrong or did they not say Stanley was empathic in the play but that the version of the play was? Y'all need to read more slowly.

by Anonymousreply 104March 18, 2023 7:53 PM

Mescal is "swaggering AND sensitive" according to the NYT's Matt Wolf.

by Anonymousreply 105March 18, 2023 7:58 PM

Mescal adds a sensitivity to Stanley that most actors haven’t prior. That doesn’t mean he’s empathetic. R104 is right, which is why upthread I asked why some of you keep complaining about Stanley being empathetic. The reviews say the play is empathetic and one of the more empathetic takes, but not that Stanley himself is, although Mescal adds a touch of sensitivity and swagger to the role.

by Anonymousreply 106March 18, 2023 8:05 PM

Always looks like he has a smelly cock

by Anonymousreply 107March 18, 2023 9:53 PM

What the fuck is a smelly cock? He is just very Irish looking. His family looks Irish. Legit Irish. Not what we are used to in the states with Irish Americans, who are very mixed. His features show a man whose family line is Irish going back many years.

by Anonymousreply 108March 18, 2023 10:06 PM

[quote]R108 What the fuck is a smelly cock?

If you have to ask…

by Anonymousreply 109March 18, 2023 11:39 PM

Paul Mescal. Paul Mescaline.

by Anonymousreply 110March 19, 2023 12:00 AM

R85, Bizarre analysis. Rape as therapy? Good one. Maybe Trump will use it soon.

by Anonymousreply 111March 19, 2023 1:52 AM

R110, Mescal is good enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 19, 2023 1:53 AM

R112 he said he considered using Mezcal as his surname because everyone pronounces it like that anyway when he was on Jimmy Kimmel. But he decided to just keep his real name.

by Anonymousreply 113March 19, 2023 2:05 AM

[quote] Am I wrong or did they not say Stanley was empathic in the play

R104, who is "they" and what are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 114March 19, 2023 3:51 AM

[quote] I mean Stanley is "punished" by Stella leaving him with their baby, I was right,

If you consider that "punishment" for rape, then I guess you're "right," R99.

by Anonymousreply 115March 19, 2023 3:54 AM

Well, it was good enough “punishment” to appease the 1951 censors, r115.

It’s not like R95/R99 said the new ending represented true justice.

by Anonymousreply 116March 19, 2023 6:32 AM

Well, that was the stupidity of the censors and censorship in general. At any rate, do you have a point, R116?

by Anonymousreply 117March 19, 2023 6:35 AM

Yes. That you’re a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 118March 19, 2023 9:11 AM

R116. 'Punishment' may have been the stated reason (I don't remember) but that altered scene is rewarding for a different reason.

Because it gets a vulnerable woman and her baby away from a psycho.

by Anonymousreply 119March 19, 2023 10:23 AM

Oy vey, the subheading of the NYT rave review of Paul Mescal in Streetcar calls his performance “emphatic”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120March 19, 2023 11:18 AM

^^ “empathic” too.

by Anonymousreply 121March 19, 2023 11:23 AM

R121 it says the play is empathic. Not his performance.

by Anonymousreply 122March 19, 2023 1:37 PM

R118=pointless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 123March 19, 2023 2:21 PM

Thanks to R122, who can read. So much for the academic triangulations about Stanley himself being empathic from some twats here. So it's Tennessee Williams who was the empathic one.

by Anonymousreply 124March 19, 2023 2:26 PM

Hahaha! I just looked again at the OP's photo of PM. He looks like an Irish bullfighter!

by Anonymousreply 125March 19, 2023 4:18 PM

I only heard an audio clip of his performance and it did not sound good... sounded amateurish, too young for the role, couldn't shrug his accent off...

Maybe I need to listen again, or maybe it's gotten better since then?

Haven't watched the film since I was a teenager, but didn't think much of it - very much a stage. play. and the rape at the end is both a contrived shock move, as well as being too censored and ambiguous to land a proper shock. Why would Stanley rape her? She was annoying as hell and old... it'd make sense if he lost his temper and beat her, or just had her carted off. The rape makes no sense at all.

But Brando played that role perfectly, there's way to play that character differently, only less accurately, because that's exactly who Stanley was. Can't believe any actor would touch the role again given the fame of it and the comparisons.

by Anonymousreply 126March 19, 2023 5:21 PM

R126 is basing an entire performance on 30 seconds of audio.

by Anonymousreply 127March 19, 2023 5:24 PM

I sound contrary saying I didn't think much of it, but honestly, take out sexy Brando and this play would be long forgotten. Everything other than sexy Brando is insufferable, and actually Stanley is insufferable when he opens his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 128March 19, 2023 5:25 PM

[quote] Even celebs are going to see him in it.

Wow, even celebrities? They are our betters and know quality when they see it... I'm sold!

by Anonymousreply 129March 19, 2023 5:26 PM

R129 whether you’re sold or not is irrelevant. You couldn’t see the play even if you wanted to. Why? Because it’s sold out. Every showing. Sold out.

by Anonymousreply 130March 19, 2023 5:28 PM

R126/R128, your opinion of the play flies in the face of the fact (yes, fact) that it is an important American play and is constantly being revived, mainly because of the beauty of Williams' language and the complexity and iconic nature of the two main characters, particularly the character of Blanche. But both characters are a feast for any intelligent, well-suited actor.

Stick to your day job of offering your thoughts on DL and don't attempt to be a theater critic.

by Anonymousreply 131March 19, 2023 5:29 PM

[quote]Stick to your day job of offering your thoughts on DL and don't attempt to be a theater critic.

Ditto.

by Anonymousreply 132March 19, 2023 5:30 PM

Well, I know something about whence I speak, unlike you, R132.

by Anonymousreply 133March 19, 2023 5:33 PM

[quote]I sound contrary saying I didn't think much of it, but honestly, take out sexy Brando and this play would be long forgotten.

You couldn't be more wrong or sound more ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 134March 19, 2023 5:57 PM

Imagine thinking Brando being sexy is what made this classic play stand the test or time lmao.

by Anonymousreply 135March 19, 2023 6:35 PM

A Twinkcar Named Desire

by Anonymousreply 136March 19, 2023 6:36 PM

Would this production need to come to the states to be considered for Tonys?

by Anonymousreply 137March 19, 2023 6:46 PM

He was also in the original Broadway production, R135.

by Anonymousreply 138March 19, 2023 6:59 PM

Yes but he wasn’t nearly as charismatic on stage as film.

by Anonymousreply 139March 19, 2023 7:01 PM

How could you possibly say that, R139, when his last stage appearance was "Streetcar" in 1948? You have absolutely no point of reference. Pauline Kael described seeing him in "Truckline Cafe" in 1946 and said he was riveting--just as riveting as she found him to be in films.

by Anonymousreply 140March 19, 2023 7:05 PM

So, did he play Blanche or Stella?

by Anonymousreply 141March 19, 2023 7:16 PM

I'm surprised Broadway hasnt had a go at Streetcar this year or last, last December it was the 75th anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 142March 19, 2023 8:20 PM

Broadway has been dying.

by Anonymousreply 143March 19, 2023 8:23 PM

R142, reminds me of the spate of Virginia Woolf revivals. I'm kind of done with those for a while, and I love that play. But it's long.

by Anonymousreply 144March 19, 2023 8:28 PM

R144 They were about to revive Virginia Woolf in 2020, it was going to premiere in April 2020, they even did a bunch of preview performanced, then covid happened. I was living in NYC then and I was crushed, I was really looking forward to seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 145March 19, 2023 8:55 PM

Covid also killed the West Side Story revival.

by Anonymousreply 146March 19, 2023 8:56 PM

There was a period about 10-12 years ago when everyone was doing Streetcar...Blanchett at BAM in late 2009, Rachel Weiz in London the same year, then they did the all black Streetcar in 2012...guess the US is Streetcar tired.

by Anonymousreply 147March 19, 2023 8:58 PM

Streetcar is a play that will never go away. It’s beloved. And actors love playing those parts. They’re multi-layered. Especially Blanche. She’s a fun part to play for someone who loves the art of theater.

Not all actors are meant for theater.

by Anonymousreply 148March 19, 2023 9:00 PM

All the productions of Streetcar being mentioned flies in the face of what R128 said:

[quote] I sound contrary saying I didn't think much of it, but honestly, take out sexy Brando and this play would be long forgotten.

Mind you, "Streetcar" was first produced in 1948, and it's being produced 75 years later.

by Anonymousreply 149March 19, 2023 9:03 PM

Oh and not to mention Gillian Anderson in London in 2014.

Out of all of them, I think the Blanchett one is the one I most would have liked to see. Mixed feelings about the Gillian Anderson which I saw, and the clips of the all black revival ones don't make me think I missed much (unlike the absolute excellent black CoaHTR from a few years back).

by Anonymousreply 150March 19, 2023 9:03 PM

TBH, I don't really see the appeal for Mescal from a physical standpoint....he's a puffy Irishman and he's only in his 20s.

by Anonymousreply 151March 19, 2023 9:04 PM

You literally keep repeating yourself.

by Anonymousreply 152March 19, 2023 9:05 PM

I wish Manhattan Theatre Club (or someone) had put Tim O'Tay back onstage in Prodigal Son just after CMBYN came out. He was supposed to have been quite good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153March 19, 2023 9:15 PM

R152 I hope that wasn't directed towards me (151).

I just got here.

by Anonymousreply 154March 19, 2023 9:22 PM

Someone likes to keep inserting Chalamet into the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 155March 19, 2023 9:22 PM

Chalamet IS Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 156March 19, 2023 9:23 PM

Chalamet as Stanley would be laughable.

by Anonymousreply 157March 19, 2023 9:28 PM

Exactly.

He's already laughable on a red carpet.

by Anonymousreply 158March 19, 2023 9:30 PM

[quote]Haven't watched the film since I was a teenager, but didn't think much of it - very much a stage. play. and the rape at the end is both a contrived shock move, as well as being too censored and ambiguous to land a proper shock. Why would Stanley rape her? She was annoying as hell and old

One of my mom's elderly friends was raped by a young guy who broke into her apartment. Rapists rape because they are rapists. It has nothing to do with how attractive their victims are.

by Anonymousreply 159March 19, 2023 11:32 PM

R159 exactly. That poster is a retard though. No shock he thinks it’s about attractiveness and not about the thrill of rape for them and power.

by Anonymousreply 160March 19, 2023 11:37 PM

Stanley raped because he needed to destroy Blanche's air of gentility.

by Anonymousreply 161March 20, 2023 2:13 AM

He raped her for the same reason men rape other women ....its the only way he felt he could take his power back. That simple.

by Anonymousreply 162March 20, 2023 3:43 AM

[quote]R150 Out of all of them, I think the Blanchett one is the one I most would have liked to see.

Absolutely! And the approach to the setting etc. appears quite shabbily tawdry, too. The whole thing doesn’t usually look this dirty. But it makes sense that it should. I mean, sleeping in Stella’s kitchen SHOULD make Blanche’s skin crawl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163March 20, 2023 6:09 AM

They need to revive The Voice Of The Turtle and The Chocolate Soldier!

by Anonymousreply 164March 20, 2023 7:34 AM

And "Abie's Irish Rose," R164.

by Anonymousreply 165March 20, 2023 7:39 AM

They could do a gay version, r165, "Abie's Irish Ronan." Timmy could play Abie, with Mescal as Ronan.

by Anonymousreply 166March 20, 2023 4:20 PM

The West-End production started again today!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167March 20, 2023 6:35 PM

R164 They need to revive The Voice Of The Turtle and The Chocolate Soldier!

You know, I was house sitting for someone and desperate for something to read and THE VOICE OF THE TURTLE (worst title ever) was lying around. It was actually very touching and charming!

I bet a lot of its impact on stage has to do with the casting. Which is why I’ve never seen the movie. The two leads seem drab.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168March 20, 2023 8:48 PM

^^ should have been in quote brackets : (

[quote]r164 They need to revive The Voice Of The Turtle and The Chocolate Soldier!

by Anonymousreply 169March 20, 2023 8:50 PM

R162, Pretty much what I meant in r161.

by Anonymousreply 170March 20, 2023 9:23 PM

“ And his Stanley is indeed good — great, even. It’s far more menacing than Brando’s, more focused, more athletic. At one point, Mescal, sporting a hipster mullet, strips to his underwear — yes, the audience gets the Kidman view — and slides into a pair of red silk pajamas, as specified by Williams in the text. Then Mescal veers from the script by dropping to all fours and tracking Blanche like prey. “Paul discovered that during a physical rehearsal,” says director Frecknall. “We called it The Dog. He became this weird, feral dog. It really scared me.””

by Anonymousreply 171April 30, 2023 5:44 PM

[quote] It’s far more menacing than Brando’s

Any comparison to Brando I can't take seriously. Mescal is no Brando.

by Anonymousreply 172April 30, 2023 6:17 PM

R172 anyone who plays Stanley will automatically be compared to Brando. Stupid thing to be bothered by.

by Anonymousreply 173April 30, 2023 6:23 PM

R172 David Fear of Rolling Stone would like to have a word with you. He says Mescal is the second-coming of Brando.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174April 30, 2023 6:25 PM

R173, dear, I wasn't bothered by it. I simply discounted it. And no, not all actors playing Stanley are automatically compared to Brando in every review. Okay?

by Anonymousreply 175April 30, 2023 8:16 PM

Actually, yes, any actor playing Stanley gets compared to Brando. He originated the role and is iconic as Stanley in the film version.

by Anonymousreply 176April 30, 2023 8:35 PM

Not necesarily, R176. Some actors aren't worth the comparison. It's almost too easy a comparison for a critic. I suppose that Mescal being compared to Brando means his performance is worthy, but I don't believe for a minute he does anything better than Brando did. Brando certainly had much more sexual magnetism. But Brando is, of course, in a class by himself.

Interesting that they mention the bullying, predatory qualities Mescal brings to the role so creepily. It suggests that the accusation of homophobia might be valid.

by Anonymousreply 177April 30, 2023 8:42 PM

[quote]Then Mescal veers from the script by dropping to all fours and tracking Blanche like prey. “Paul discovered that during a physical rehearsal,” says director Frecknall. “We called it The Dog. He became this weird, feral dog. It really scared me.””

That sounds pretty silly. Brando could convey menace with a glance.

by Anonymousreply 178April 30, 2023 8:43 PM

I never received Brando as “menace” while watching. An asshole, sure.

by Anonymousreply 179April 30, 2023 8:45 PM

R177 him playing a character has what to do with homophobia? You’re becoming ridiculous with your need to push a bullshit lie an anonymous poster made on a public forum 3 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 180April 30, 2023 8:46 PM

Sorry, but Brando was never menacing as Stanley. Rewatch the film. He never gives off dangerous as much as arrogant and an asshole. He really came off like many men did back then. Even during the rape scene.

by Anonymousreply 181April 30, 2023 8:48 PM

R179, if you didn't see menace in Bramdo you're blind.

Calm down, R180. I'm saying the qualities of nasty behavior Mescal brings are also in homophobes, which could--could--lend itself to what I said was an accusation made against him.

by Anonymousreply 182April 30, 2023 8:49 PM

R182 homophobes come in all types of people. They aren’t all like that. He’s playing Stanley. He isn’t Stanley. Maybe you should look up what acting is.

by Anonymousreply 183April 30, 2023 8:51 PM

Brando wasn’t menacing. And PS I will have to look back and find your (yes you) saying Brando wasn’t scary or menacing as Stanley. You’re only now saying he was because critics say Mescal is scary as Stanley in a way Brando never was.

by Anonymousreply 184April 30, 2023 8:52 PM

Paul Mescal has received universal praise for his performance. Even critics who didn’t like the production praise his “unique” take on Stanley to no end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 30, 2023 8:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186April 30, 2023 8:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187April 30, 2023 8:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 30, 2023 8:58 PM

R183, trust me, I know what acting is.

R184, get a grip. And you'll find I never spoke of Brando on this thread until I mentioned him as being mentioned him in that review. And I'll say it again: Mescal has neither the sexual charisma or the menace of Brando.

by Anonymousreply 189April 30, 2023 8:58 PM

I just wanna point out that I’m impressed that his name carried this show to so much success, breaking records and them adding shows here and there because the demand is just so high.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190April 30, 2023 9:08 PM

R189 you don’t know what acting is when you think an actor must be bad because he plays a bad character badly.

by Anonymousreply 191April 30, 2023 9:09 PM

R189 on this thread, maybe. But you’ve commented on others. And yes, you have. No need to lie.

by Anonymousreply 192April 30, 2023 9:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 30, 2023 9:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194April 30, 2023 9:15 PM

This critic gives a very honest and strong review of Mescal’s performance.

“Paul Mescal is well aware that anyone who plays Stanley is shadow-boxing with Brando, so it’s a bold swing at this blossoming stage in his career to do so for a short run at the Almeida Theatre. Tickets sold out at lightning speed. I wonder what those who fell for his soulful portraits of masculinity-in-crisis in Normal People and Aftersun made of a performance animated by hatred. Where Brando sublimated this facet beneath playful charm, Mescal leans into it. Eyes glitter with venom, spit flies, face pinkens and neck tendons bulge.

In the hours after the play, if I had seen Mescal coming towards me, I would have turned tail and fled. Perhaps this is a feature not a bug for a reluctant millennial heartthrob.

This aggression starts out as a disquieting note within an attitude of barely-concealed contempt. Mescal is aloof about his sex appeal, both as it strikes Blanche – when she arrives at the house of her estranged sister Stella and her husband Stanley, all frazzled and thirsty with a suitcase of faded gowns – and as it plays to an audience populated by his fans. The Almeida is a small venue that specialises in extra intimacy between performers and audiences. During last year’s run of Daddy, Jeremy O Harris’s play about sexual patronage in the LA art world, those in the first two rows were equipped with towels in anticipation of being splashed by the titular daddy, Claes Bang as he frolicked in the on-stage swimming pool. For Streetcar, director Rebecca Frecknell makes use of the narrow walkways, having performers dash around so close that panting can be heard. If Mescal was affected by the collective intake of breath that came whenever he changed clothes on stage, he shut it down. Not a drop of energy went towards indulging the erotic gaze; it was all focused on expressing a destructiveness that only grew until it eclipsed the room and sent us off into the night, disturbed.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195April 30, 2023 9:21 PM

That's not what I said, you moron R191.

R192, what the fuck are you even banging on about?

by Anonymousreply 196April 30, 2023 9:25 PM

More from the article at r195

“Opposite the highly sympathetic Ferran, Mescal’s open cruelty lands all the more painfully, like an elephant trapping an extremely clever gerbil by the tail. A taste of the vitriol that Stanley has for Blanche’s sexual character bubbles up during a discussion about star signs. She reveals that her star-sign is Virgo “the virgin”. “HAAA!” booms Mescal with furious scorn.

The impact of his performance comes from the combination of technical brilliance with emotional coldness. He is loud, vital and fast, but he is not trying to build a heartfelt case for Stanley’s insecurities as a working class, second-generation immigrant, he does not want us to like Stanley, but – by god – he wants us to respect a death drive that knows no reasonable bounds.

Sure, the script tells us that Stanley had to battle Stella’s class reservations before she would love him and Blanche’s appearance threatens to restore that old painful dynamic. Nonetheless, his hatred for Blanche is more encompassing than his love for Stella. Paul Mescal has given us a vision of misogyny that is forcefully opaque. If Brando’s predator of choice was a tiger cub, Mescal’s is a tiger shark.“

by Anonymousreply 197April 30, 2023 9:27 PM

Thanks, Mary R197. We can do our own reading of the reviews.

by Anonymousreply 198April 30, 2023 9:29 PM

Nonstop praise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199April 30, 2023 9:31 PM

R199, you're obsessed, right?

by Anonymousreply 200April 30, 2023 9:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201April 30, 2023 9:43 PM

Everytime I see a post about this guy I wonder what Daniel Radcliffe is doing in the story/movie.

by Anonymousreply 202April 30, 2023 9:44 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203April 30, 2023 9:47 PM

He'll never like you, R203. You're gay.

by Anonymousreply 204April 30, 2023 9:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205April 30, 2023 9:49 PM

[quote]In case you didn’t know, the production of “A Streetcar Named Desire” was showing in East London to sold out shows every single night.

Since it's DL, I'll nitpick & point out that the Almeida Theatre is in Islington – in NORTH London (and closest to Central), not East.

by Anonymousreply 206April 30, 2023 9:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207April 30, 2023 9:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208April 30, 2023 9:51 PM

There are MANY more reviews, but I will make this my last for now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209April 30, 2023 9:52 PM

R206, did you RUN to see the next-best-thing-since Brando?

by Anonymousreply 210April 30, 2023 9:52 PM

R210, not r206, but I did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211April 30, 2023 9:54 PM

R211 YASSSS HONEY

by Anonymousreply 212April 30, 2023 10:01 PM

Mescal should at least take his dick out, like James Farentino did.

by Anonymousreply 213April 30, 2023 10:03 PM

So was that Mescal homophobe accusation definitively proved as false? Receipts?

by Anonymousreply 214April 30, 2023 10:05 PM

Anyone with any semblance of common sense or the slightest bit of critical thinking skills knows it was bullshit. Anyone who believes one account from a BRAND NEW Reddit account who makes serious claims and then never replies to any questions etc. a BRAND NEW Reddit account is all one needs to know, as you don’t need anything to sign up for that forum but an email, and you don’t even need to verify an email to post like you do other places.

Not to mention the post got facts about Mescal wrong.

by Anonymousreply 215April 30, 2023 10:10 PM

Paul looks great with facial hair!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216April 30, 2023 10:12 PM

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣, R216!

by Anonymousreply 217April 30, 2023 10:14 PM

R213 I feel he’s one of those who will do a lot less nudity as his career continues to blossom, at least on film or television that is.

by Anonymousreply 218April 30, 2023 10:39 PM

NOBODY CARES ABOUT THIS DUDE!

FF

by Anonymousreply 219April 30, 2023 10:42 PM

Yet he had no problem hauling it out when he was a relative nobody. Well, the internet is forever.

by Anonymousreply 220April 30, 2023 10:42 PM

That was for R218.

by Anonymousreply 221April 30, 2023 10:43 PM

R219, it's the mirror opposite of Chalamet stans.

by Anonymousreply 222April 30, 2023 10:44 PM

R220 you can’t be picky when you’re starting out. Once you reach a certain level you can be.

by Anonymousreply 223April 30, 2023 11:05 PM

It's kind of whorish.

by Anonymousreply 224April 30, 2023 11:07 PM

His nudity wasn’t gratuitous though. It was done in a very professional way. The sex scenes in general were done well in Normal People.

by Anonymousreply 225April 30, 2023 11:11 PM

Great, R225, as long as they take their cocks out.

by Anonymousreply 226April 30, 2023 11:13 PM

Isn't taking his cock out what put him on the map? And now he's an artiste!

by Anonymousreply 227April 30, 2023 11:14 PM

His performance put him on the map. Not his nudity. Maybe on DL but not around the world.

by Anonymousreply 228April 30, 2023 11:18 PM

You're probably right, R228. He doesn't have much of a cock.

by Anonymousreply 229April 30, 2023 11:20 PM

No one is worried about his Cock but you. They love him and his performance that put him on the map and earned him a BAFTA award and Emmy nomination

by Anonymousreply 230April 30, 2023 11:32 PM

I'm not worried abouut his cock, R230. I commented on its underwhelming state.

by Anonymousreply 231April 30, 2023 11:34 PM

I highly doubt Mescal was more menacing than Brando but there is far more to Stanley than just being menacing. I find Treat Williams Stanley from the 1984 miniseries as the most menacing I have seen, yet also one of the worst Stanley's I have seen. Meanwhile I really liked Alec Baldwins more naturalistic, less moustache twirly Stanley because he seemed a more down to earth and believeable Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 232May 1, 2023 12:29 AM

It’s not hard to be more menacing than Brando when he wasn’t very menacing at all.

by Anonymousreply 233May 1, 2023 1:09 AM

Brando wasn't impressive enough for Miss R233.

by Anonymousreply 234May 1, 2023 1:12 AM

However, Mescal is a great actor and theatre is where his roots are. Literally everyone has praised his performance and he wasn’t given the Olivier for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 235May 1, 2023 1:13 AM

R234 he was great but he wasn’t menacing. He was loud and brash and a meathead, and very much came off like a man of his time. But never came off scary or menacing. Just mean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236May 1, 2023 1:14 AM

[quote] Literally everyone

Thst's literally not true, R235.

by Anonymousreply 237May 1, 2023 1:15 AM

R236 didn't think Brando wasn't at all menacing right before he raped Blanche. Just a loudmouth meathead.

by Anonymousreply 238May 1, 2023 1:16 AM

* didn't think Brando was at all menacing

by Anonymousreply 239May 1, 2023 1:16 AM

PaulMescalLover, don't max out your credit cards buying up all of those tickets, okay?

by Anonymousreply 240May 1, 2023 1:26 AM

R238 do you know what menacing is?

by Anonymousreply 241May 1, 2023 1:32 AM

R237 post a critic giving him a negative review. We’ve posted tons showing the opposite. Now you post links to back up your claim. We will wait.

by Anonymousreply 242May 1, 2023 1:35 AM

Oh god R242 shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 243May 1, 2023 1:38 AM

I'm not the one in need of a dictionary, R241.

by Anonymousreply 244May 1, 2023 1:41 AM

R243 exactly. Because you can’t. While we can post PROOF of what we say, you can’t.

by Anonymousreply 245May 1, 2023 1:42 AM

R244 obviously you do though…

by Anonymousreply 246May 1, 2023 1:43 AM

R245, I'm not R243. You idiot.

by Anonymousreply 247May 1, 2023 1:48 AM

You are though. However, where are the links to back up your claims?

by Anonymousreply 248May 1, 2023 1:50 AM

But I'm not, you moron. If you bothered to check you'd see I'm not. You're so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 249May 1, 2023 2:01 AM

Mmhmmmm. Anyway, where is the proof?

by Anonymousreply 250May 1, 2023 2:02 AM

Proof of what, dear?

by Anonymousreply 251May 1, 2023 2:04 AM

R197 tells me all I need to know. Why I'm sure Mescal's performance is powerful and magnetic, his Stanley seems unequivocally The Villain with zero redeeming qualities. Not like Tennesee envisioned him. Not like envision him either. But so as not to get the Mescal troll up in arms, that seems more like a directorial issue than a performance one

by Anonymousreply 252May 1, 2023 2:05 AM

Mescal is no Brando.

by Anonymousreply 253May 1, 2023 2:10 AM

I wish I could go see him and meet him 😢 I’m so jealous of these people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254May 1, 2023 3:15 AM

R252 stupid comment. There’s no issue with it. Actors are allowed to make a character their own. Like one critic said, Mescal doesn’t want you to like Stanley. He plays him as evil. Brando didn’t. And that’s fine. They’re different interpretations. That’s what ART is.

by Anonymousreply 255May 1, 2023 3:16 AM

Mescal is no Brando.

by Anonymousreply 256May 1, 2023 3:18 AM

I love how this girl really shared her entire day lol. So cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257May 1, 2023 3:19 AM

R255 you're a dumbass. He is welcome to have his own interpretation, and I never said otherwise. I just don't think that THAT interpretation is what gets the ultimate message of the play through. Agree to disagree.

by Anonymousreply 258May 1, 2023 3:43 AM

He looks more like the guy who delivers Blanche a telegram.

by Anonymousreply 259May 1, 2023 3:54 AM

R258 what is the ultimate message of the play? Tell us.

by Anonymousreply 260May 1, 2023 9:03 AM

No, you're obviously a troll, I wouldn't waste my time.

by Anonymousreply 261May 1, 2023 12:06 PM

R261 what is the ultimate message of the play? You keep running your mouth but when confronted with questions where you are expected to provide proof or an explanation you retreat and play victim.

You claimed his performance had many bad reviews, where are those reviews? You were given many reviews praising him. Where are the reviews stating the opposite?

And what is the message of the play?

by Anonymousreply 262May 1, 2023 3:00 PM

R261 here, R262...I am not the one who said anything about Mescal's reviews, that's some other poster, you lunatic. And again, I wouldn't waste my time explaining the messages because I have a feeling they would go over your head. As Blanche says, pearls before swine.

by Anonymousreply 263May 1, 2023 4:02 PM

R263 smh. Sure.

What is the message?

by Anonymousreply 264May 1, 2023 4:13 PM

This is the final week of Streetcar. I wonder if he’s happy AND a bit sad it’s coming to an end. Either way, yesterday was the free performance for people 25 and under. They loved it. And look at that smile on his face. He looks so happy. 😍😍😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265May 3, 2023 3:45 PM

He looks mentally challenged.

by Anonymousreply 266May 4, 2023 12:47 PM

Paul is cute now, although I can see him looking rather like fellow Irish actor Colm Meaney in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 267May 4, 2023 12:51 PM

really r267?

by Anonymousreply 268May 4, 2023 1:12 PM

He’s Irish. And true Irish to the point he has a very Irish face and face of a statue of someone who lived during the Roman times. His face is perfect for gladiator films and period pieces. He has a Roman nose too. Irish tend to age like milk in general (and always have been known to age fast) especially those who have very pale skin (he does). Add onto that the fact he’s a smoker, he will age fast if not careful.

by Anonymousreply 269May 4, 2023 1:28 PM

I actually agree that he has a good face for period pieces, like the 1920s etc. or noire films.

I remember his (now hard to find) British Vogue interview where he was dressed up in an amazing suit and clean shaven with his hair (still short at the time) combed over nicely. He looked amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270May 4, 2023 1:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271May 4, 2023 1:51 PM

Does Mescal's vision give us any raison d'etre for unmitigated hatred for Blanche? Is it because she threatens to undo Stanley's successful browbeating of Stella in order to "de-class" his wife, as it were? Is it that Blanche implicitly demeans his working-class life and thus his self, which equals his masculinity, of which the (imagined) denigrating can be answered only with a rape?

I don't know if it is reasonable to posit that Stella would marry a total and even evil misogynist.

by Anonymousreply 272May 4, 2023 2:48 PM

You can be around an evil person and not know they’re evil until time has passed. Blanche seems to bring out that evil within Stanley in a way others don’t. And yes, he’s abusive to Stella but she takes it. Blanche won’t.

by Anonymousreply 273May 4, 2023 2:55 PM

R272 Tennessee would absolutely wince at calling any of his characters simply as "evil".....in fact anyone who knew anything about good storytelling/character development would.

by Anonymousreply 274May 4, 2023 7:12 PM

R274 Stanley is complex but pretty bad. Idk if he’s evil. He’s not evil in any variation of the play. Menacing = = Evil.

But one can say he’s evil because he rapes Blanche, is abusive to Stella and is mentally and emotionally abusive to Blanche as well.

by Anonymousreply 275May 4, 2023 7:35 PM

R205, "[R]aw animal power" is a euphemism for "fugly."

by Anonymousreply 276May 5, 2023 6:46 PM

He’s not pretty.

by Anonymousreply 277May 10, 2023 12:03 AM

GAY BASHER!

by Anonymousreply 278May 13, 2023 4:39 PM

"Map of Ireland" face. Must be one of the most Irish-looking Stanley Kowalskis of all time.

by Anonymousreply 279May 13, 2023 4:45 PM

He’s gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280May 13, 2023 4:55 PM

R280 Check your link.

by Anonymousreply 281May 13, 2023 5:01 PM

I don't see the hot, not really.

by Anonymousreply 282May 19, 2023 12:50 AM

R282 he isn’t for everyone. No one is.

by Anonymousreply 283May 19, 2023 12:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!