Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Adele's 30 leaves the Billboard 200. What went wrong with the album?

Overall, worldwide sales for 30 have totaled at 3 million in sales. This is really bad for Adele. Her previous album 25 had worldwide sales around 15 million.

What went wrong for Adele this album?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 21, 2023 1:29 PM

She's annoying AF and not as relatable and refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 1March 16, 2023 3:52 PM

Was a big fan of hers, but I didn't like a single song on this album. Crazy that she took so much time away, then came up with [italic]that.[/italic] Although I can only imagine how much worse that scrapped fraulicious album about her crotchfruit would have been.

by Anonymousreply 2March 16, 2023 3:55 PM

who gives a shit except fat girls?

by Anonymousreply 3March 16, 2023 3:56 PM

Even tragic fraus (or whoever the hell listens to her) have discovered streaming OP? Just a thought.

by Anonymousreply 4March 16, 2023 3:57 PM

Perhaps one too many torch songs.

by Anonymousreply 5March 16, 2023 3:58 PM

some old shit

by Anonymousreply 6March 16, 2023 4:01 PM

I've seen a lot of tweets this week about how her record label bought up a lot of the world's capacity for vinyl pressings to make tons of copies of 30, pushing the wait times for other artists to get pressings to more than a year, and now all those records are showing up in bulk at Goodwill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 16, 2023 4:02 PM

Barbra asked, "Adele who ?"

by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2023 4:29 PM

She's not bothered to progress her sound at all over the past 3 albums. People (even her MOR fanbase) are simply bored.

If you're going to name each of your albums after your age when you recorded them, it's kind of forcing you to assume that each one would mark a significant development in the sound to reflect your development as a person. The songs on each album could be totally interchangeable.

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2023 4:42 PM

She can’t stop whining. She’s better with some sass, e.g., Rolling in the Deep.

by Anonymousreply 10March 16, 2023 4:53 PM

r9 Yes, totally. And the same goes for her lyrics. It's amazing how little she's matured since her first album, same old whinging about her lover and very little musings on life itself.

by Anonymousreply 11March 16, 2023 4:56 PM

She was never that fabulous or interesting, nor is her voice.

She had a couple of very catchy singles, to be sure. But she and Taylor think that the audience wants to hear the soap opera of their lives.....when a catchy song and lyrics are still what puts a song over the top.

by Anonymousreply 12March 16, 2023 5:01 PM

Adele needs to gain weight and go back to UK if she wants to get back what she had before. The weight-loss, black boyfriend, Hollywood friends and moving to the US did her in.

by Anonymousreply 13March 16, 2023 5:10 PM

She went Hollywood, hangs out with Meghan and Harry, and can't stop talking about her issues.

by Anonymousreply 14March 16, 2023 6:09 PM

Because the persona and the manufactured image is the emphasis, which overs up a lack of charming personality and musical range. She has the voice, yes. But the overall package is rather one note.

by Anonymousreply 15March 16, 2023 6:16 PM

She's a flash in the pan and there's a lot of indicators that she's not terribly stable. That's not to say there haven't been other troubled artists that can produce good shit despite their issues, but that's not her. She doesn't have that level of raw talent. I think of Amy Winehouse of an example of what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 16March 16, 2023 8:04 PM

Flash in the pan?? I'm no big fan, but she's been putting out #1 albums and #1 songs for a decade now.

by Anonymousreply 17March 16, 2023 8:17 PM

She sang fat but she wasn't fat.

And she's not phat no way.

by Anonymousreply 18March 16, 2023 8:24 PM

Maybe she needs to get fat again.

Or, people have realised that’s she’s just incredibly overhyped?

by Anonymousreply 19March 16, 2023 8:32 PM

She seems lazy at promoting her albums and promo drops off too quickly. Doesn't Beyonce make a video for every song on her albums!

by Anonymousreply 20March 16, 2023 8:46 PM

She basically cry-talked her way through half of that album. It was self-indulgent emotional release that a good producer would have prevented. The album sputtered and her artistic legacy needs evening out after this derailment.

by Anonymousreply 21March 16, 2023 9:15 PM

Tracey Ullman did a sketch as Adele being happy and her label wanting her to be miserable so she would write another hit.

by Anonymousreply 22March 16, 2023 9:23 PM

Wasn't only one song released as a single? I don't recall any other one than Go Easy On Me being played on the radio.

by Anonymousreply 23March 16, 2023 9:33 PM

Apparently Oh my god and I drink wine were singles but I've never laid ears on them myself

by Anonymousreply 24March 16, 2023 9:38 PM

Maybe it was risky leading with a song about her reluctance to do anal?

by Anonymousreply 25March 16, 2023 9:38 PM

Everyone finally realized what an absolute basic bitch she really is.

by Anonymousreply 26March 16, 2023 9:44 PM

To be honest I went off her when I saw pics of her with other young celebs posing like a bimbo. It was unfair of me as I'm sure she was happy to finally be considered "hot" but it seemed beneath her.

And fair enough you only release an album every few years. At least promote it fully instead of assuming it will sell

by Anonymousreply 27March 16, 2023 9:49 PM

People would give her a pass if she released yearly albums with a similar sound, like singers used to do back in the day. But when you take half a decade to release an album, you can't afford to make rehashes.

by Anonymousreply 28March 16, 2023 9:54 PM

She needs to they / them herself to be truly successful. Like me.

by Anonymousreply 29March 16, 2023 9:57 PM

Because people have been buying her music because of “21”. Her music since that album hasn’t carried its own weight. She’s a novelty and it’s worn off.

And I’ll add that she relied too heavy on ballads despite “Rolling in the Deep” being her biggest song.

by Anonymousreply 30March 16, 2023 10:09 PM

It's also not 2008 -2012 any more and the market for her style and for ballads like that has subsided. Slower music seems to be taken over by a more goth style like Billie Eilish.

by Anonymousreply 31March 16, 2023 10:12 PM

She needs new songwriters, her well is dry.

by Anonymousreply 32March 16, 2023 10:43 PM

She needs to pack those kilos back on.

by Anonymousreply 33March 16, 2023 10:56 PM

LA ruined her.

by Anonymousreply 34March 16, 2023 10:56 PM

Why move to LA? She didn't seem the type. Maybe it was losing the weight.

A tubby girl who wouldn't say boo to a goose in High School lost lots of weight before uni, where she proceeded to become a made up hussie riding all the cock that poked in her direction.

by Anonymousreply 35March 16, 2023 11:07 PM

Beth Ditto has the voice, the fat and is way more fun.

WHET Beth Ditto?

by Anonymousreply 36March 16, 2023 11:36 PM

Once your frau fanbase abandons you is when you begin to see declining record sales. When you no longer pander to them, they won't find you relatable anymore.

by Anonymousreply 37March 16, 2023 11:39 PM

The album was terrible. None of the songs really had a hook and Easy On Me was an underwhelming comeback song. I agree that her shit has gone stale.

by Anonymousreply 38March 16, 2023 11:53 PM

She can’t hold a candle to Alison Moyet. Adele is dull as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 39March 17, 2023 12:12 AM

I like Adele, but she needs an album that is totally different. Take a break from the MOR. Do a song with Lizzo. Make more songs like Rumor Has It, Rolling in the Deep..etc.

by Anonymousreply 40March 17, 2023 12:32 AM

When she lost weight she lost her audience (and her voice).

by Anonymousreply 41March 17, 2023 12:41 AM

Dressing mature for her age and appropriate for her size and having a British accent made her seem classy to Americans. Then she lost weight and started dressing in tacky outfits and people realized she’s a chav and not superior to them. Makes the whole package less impressive.

by Anonymousreply 42March 17, 2023 12:51 AM

Someone like you is an iconic song. Legendary It's the type of song you remember where you were when you first heard it

by Anonymousreply 43March 17, 2023 12:55 AM

The music wasn't good and now she's just a normal skinny pop girl

Still love All I Ask from her last album though

by Anonymousreply 44March 17, 2023 12:59 AM

No bangers

by Anonymousreply 45March 17, 2023 1:06 AM

She just needs an ass implant to complete her transformation into Khloe Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 46March 17, 2023 1:23 AM

No good singles. And she lost her obese fanbase when she lost 150 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 47March 17, 2023 1:31 AM

She was a huge hit before the big backlash against white soul singers began. People are realizing now that Adele and Amy Winehouse are hopelessly mediocre compared to the black women pioneers of music. They basically aped their sound at a time when black culture and white entertainment were still segregated. Now they are no longer, so people are not going to hold up Adele as any kind of icon. Period.

by Anonymousreply 48March 17, 2023 1:31 AM

Adele's big mistake was not parlaying her appeal as a celebrity into a movie career. She could have been the Bette Midler for this generation. All she had to do was act as herself and would have been a massive box office attraction. Most of her fame was generated from her personality, I don't think people realize that.

by Anonymousreply 49March 17, 2023 1:34 AM

Leave the world behind yeah… 😩

by Anonymousreply 50March 17, 2023 1:35 AM

I just think Adele took too much time between albums. It's rare that artists can take 4-5 years off and come back with heat. There's something to be said about artists losing their fastball after an extended break.

by Anonymousreply 51March 17, 2023 1:43 AM

My better half is a big Adele fan, while I tolerate her. I've heard this last album against my will several times. Her last 2 were enjoyable, but this one was sheer torture. It was just long tablets of words scribbled down & sung over tuneless instrumentals that went on 5 minutes too long. It's really a pompous, unstructured effort. Still, 3M in sales in this streaming age isn't too shabby. It's not 25M, but plenty of artists would love to sell 3M.

by Anonymousreply 52March 17, 2023 2:07 AM

[quote] The weight-loss, black boyfriend, Hollywood friends and moving to the US did her in.

This. I am not an Adele fan, but I do like her few radio hits. From a marketing perspective, Adele is too relatively early on in her career to alienate her fans. People identified with the overweight, ordinary woman with an extraordinary voice. There was a lot of alleged diva antics around her show. I don't think Adele fans are looking for a Beverly Hills glamazon who still writes like a tortured fat girl.

by Anonymousreply 53March 17, 2023 2:46 AM

What will she sing about now that she is thin and happy in love?

by Anonymousreply 54March 17, 2023 3:08 AM

I liked all of her previous albums. This one just wasn't good. It had no memorable songs except for Easy on Me, and perhaps Oh My God. They played her performance of 'I Drink Wine' at last year's Brit Awards during this year's Brit Awards to cover for some 'technical issues' and I couldn't remember the song even while she was singing it, there was literally no tune or hook to it at all.

Not sure what went wrong, I didn't really pay attention to the writers/producers for this album and if they were the same/different to the others. She is still a strong singer, just needs better material next time.

by Anonymousreply 55March 17, 2023 5:01 PM

The singles from the first album were instantly memorable - to the point where I thought that I had heard them before. Everything since has been kind of diluted versions of the first album. Just... not great.

by Anonymousreply 56March 17, 2023 5:51 PM

Didn’t her Vegas tantrum breakdown put people off her too?

by Anonymousreply 57March 17, 2023 6:10 PM

It's that boyfriend. She ain't right.

by Anonymousreply 58March 17, 2023 6:12 PM

[quote]Still, 3M in sales in this streaming age isn't too shabby. It's not 25M, but plenty of artists would love to sell 3M.

Good point, and also, is anyone selling 25 million for her to be jealous of? I haven't kept an eye on music sales for a long time, but I looked at the trends over the 2010s and 2020s for other singers at Adele's approximate level of fame: Beyoncé, Taylor Swift. Their latest releases tell the same story. Combined physical and digital album sales are far below those of a decade ago. 30 was the best-selling album of 2021 and still high on the list in 2022.

I don't think pop artists will ever stop making "albums," even if physical media fades out entirely. It's just what's done; it's the big statement their fans expect every few years, the collection that spawns singles and that the artist tours behind. But what constitutes a big-selling album in the 2020s (and going forward) isn't what it used to be.

Also, I know that a segment of the overweight population roots against Adele now and claims that with weight loss, she lost her voice. Memories can be short. She was having widely covered vocal problems when she was large too. As far back as 2011, she was canceling performances, going under the knife, having periods of enforced vocal rest. I think that's just going to be a thing with her for as long as she's a performer, because she doesn't know how to sing. I don't say that pejoratively. I like her. I liked 30 (esp. "Hold On"). But she's one of those people who sing purely on instinct. Maybe she thinks that's purer and more genuine than if she worked with a professional who would get her out of some bad habits. This kind of singer can remind me of a cartoon character building a ladder while climbing it.

by Anonymousreply 59March 21, 2023 1:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!