Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can a good person be a Republican?

So Republicans are wrong headed and moronic, some criminal. But can they be good moral ethical people?

by Anonymousreply 113March 22, 2023 9:33 PM

Yes. They can also be great fucks too.

by Anonymousreply 1March 16, 2023 1:50 AM

Of course.

by Anonymousreply 2March 16, 2023 1:52 AM

30 years ago, probably, but now there's not one single good Repug, not one!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3March 16, 2023 1:55 AM

Republican, yes. Trump, Pence, or DeSantis supporter, no. Some people in my life are Republicans but they despise Trump, etc., as much as I do, and would not vote for anyone who’s anti-gay or pro-censorship. It has divided people and changed holiday celebrations, because the decent ones have disowned the MAGAts, rightfully so.

by Anonymousreply 4March 16, 2023 2:01 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 5March 16, 2023 2:02 AM

A good person can be a registered Republican, but a person who consistently votes Republican in 2023 is not, objectively speaking, a good or moral person.

by Anonymousreply 6March 16, 2023 2:06 AM

Fuck off with all the "Republicans are a necessary evil" and "Republicans You Can't Help but Like" threads. You've come to the wrong place to spread your propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 7March 16, 2023 2:07 AM

What a stupid question.

Grow up, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2023 2:09 AM

Not at all

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2023 2:09 AM

So are you guys saying half the country is bad?

by Anonymousreply 10March 16, 2023 2:14 AM

Can shit not stink?

by Anonymousreply 11March 16, 2023 2:15 AM

No. And yes half the country is evil.

by Anonymousreply 12March 16, 2023 2:15 AM

If you want to remain in a state of perpetual adolescence then you have to vilify Republicans.

Otherwise your head would explode.

by Anonymousreply 13March 16, 2023 2:16 AM

We’ll never know. In this world gone mad they won’t talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 14March 16, 2023 2:16 AM

"You guys". We've found our Troll Mole R10.

by Anonymousreply 15March 16, 2023 2:17 AM

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt - but in 2023? You’re OK with the racism, homophobia, destruction of education, reproductive rights, anti-democratic voter suppression, vulgarity, shameless lying, tax cuts for the wealthy that we little people pay for, rampant corruption and naked grift. You own it. All of it. I don’t care how you rationalize it. But, of course, there are Republicans we work with or are related to who seem nice and pleasant and all, but what the fuck is going on inside their heads? It’s such a disappointment to find out someone is one.

by Anonymousreply 16March 16, 2023 2:17 AM

Some of the most racist people I've ever met are Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 17March 16, 2023 2:19 AM

There is a med you can take that makes your shit not stink. People with colostomy bags have it. And believe me, before there was that was the worst stink in the world.

by Anonymousreply 18March 16, 2023 2:19 AM

Republicans/conservatives are mentally ill. They believe in a fantasy world and reject the real world. They HATE to be WOKEn up out of that dream world. And they DEMAND that you live in their tiny, absurd dream world too.

by Anonymousreply 19March 16, 2023 2:22 AM

R13 Bruh I know exactly what you mean and it’s when I really started adulting that I realized that. It’s 100% correct. So many of us who grew up in the big cities and it’s conglomerate suburbs live in a bubble.

by Anonymousreply 20March 16, 2023 2:23 AM

Can a Democrat be a fucked-up, raging asshole?

by Anonymousreply 21March 16, 2023 2:24 AM

Can a Republican NOT rape children?

by Anonymousreply 22March 16, 2023 2:24 AM

R22 They just get away with it. Lucky suckers.

by Anonymousreply 23March 16, 2023 2:26 AM

NO.

Not in today's environment.

Every person who votes GOP is complicit in the ongoing, rolling attempt to destroy the US, and an enemy of the best values it still can hold and sustain.

by Anonymousreply 24March 16, 2023 2:28 AM

Of course not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 16, 2023 2:29 AM

Can a Republican NOT utter mass generalisations?

by Anonymousreply 26March 16, 2023 2:29 AM

I've known so many former Republicans who say that the party has gone off the deep end and left; mostly independent now, but a few became Democrats. Trump was a litmus test and so, so many failed. At this point, what does being Republican mean? It is no longer the party of conservativism, morality, or responsibility. It's a cult of stupidity, hubris and criminality.

by Anonymousreply 27March 16, 2023 2:31 AM

Can a Republican NOT support and insurrection?

by Anonymousreply 28March 16, 2023 2:32 AM

GOP in 2023 = Neofascist party admiring Putin, Orban and Bolsonaro, so no.

by Anonymousreply 29March 16, 2023 2:34 AM

Right wing trolls are super busy tonight. Is there some deadline coming up and they are paid per post?

by Anonymousreply 30March 16, 2023 2:35 AM

Some of them are just confused. Show them the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 16, 2023 2:36 AM

Hang Mike Pence! Hang Mike Pence!

by Anonymousreply 32March 16, 2023 2:36 AM

Don't forget to give your children horse paste instead of those evil covid vaccines!

by Anonymousreply 33March 16, 2023 2:45 AM

[quote]R10: So are you guys saying half the country is bad?

Republicans are not "half the country." Registered Republicans only constitute some 25% of registered voters. Even including those who 'lean' Republican, it only comes up to 39%. They are a minority here in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 16, 2023 2:45 AM

Nope, they are pure evil.

Anyone who can vote for a GOP candidate in 2023 is a sociopath lacking empathy and compassion, whose only interest is KEEPING YOUR FUCKING HANDS OFF THEIR FUCKING MONEY and using government to control people’s lives while decrying Democrat “overreach” whenever a policy is enacted that helps the 99%.

They are putrid, vile and want this country back in the 19th century, when women and minorities knew their place.

They would rather let 40-50 schoolchildren die in a single mass shooting than consider the mildest gun reform because apparently they need to take an AR-15 with them when they waddle into Walmart or Hobby Lobby.

The only good thing about Covid is it killed a good number of those assholes, since they refused masks and vaccines.

I hate them. They are destroying this country and they are not patriots. They lack any awareness of the Constitution and its contents. They lack an ounce of compassion-ironic given their “love” of Jesus.

I have blocked gay men on apps for showing admiration for Trump and have left a date 15 minutes after sitting down at dinner for similar reasons. Once I know someone supports them, I want them out of my orbit since they lack a moral compass.

The Democrats are not perfect by any means but I will support a Democrat no matter how unelectable.

I don’t give A FUCK how this sounds, they make me sick.

There isn’t one Republican in national politics who is a good person. And don’t cite Cheney and Kinzinger, they did the absolute bare minimum and should not be applauded for it.

Oh-and anyone on the fence who can’t figure this out after Trump, The Supremes, DeFatass, etc-is a fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 35March 16, 2023 2:52 AM

NO. Ask your so-called "good people" why they support Republicans? Right now. The Republican Party as it is right now. THis isn't about one person. De Santis. Trump. Step away from that bullshit that the media and the PTB all want us to buy into. This has nothing to do with personalities. Individuals. This is about Policies. This is about what they stand for, which is why I get so pissed off when people invoke Reagan or Dick Cheney and now Liz Cheney.

Some Republicans are well spoken. They talk a good game. But the policies they promote and support are harmful. Take the Environment. They all embrace deregulation. Ironically, if the fucking corporations exercised some responsibility, they would not require regulation. We wouldn't have had water so contaminated by runoffs saturating the ground water as we did in Flint, Michigan, that people developed dangerous illnesses. That was a "moderate, well spoken Republican Governor who's been pissing on himself afraid of going to jail for the lies and willful neglect he encouraged.

Banks, industries, Healthcare, the Insurance shell games, Big Pharma, BANKING and Financial services, etc.etc.etc. Irresponsible Tax Cuts? Privatization is exploitive and there is no accountability. Why do so many GOP governors refuse to participate in Medicaid? Hundreds of thousands of low income people, especially children have no healthcare. Look at how the Republicans crafted healthcare legislation that banned the federal government from negotiating for lower costs for prescription drugs.

Look at what Republican legislatures are proposing, robbing women of their reproductive rights, banning trans people from their medications, arresting parents of kids who are transexual? Banning books, banning abortion pills, criminalizing medical treatments by doctors, and encouraging discrimination against Gay people. Tell me when was the last time a Republican proposed a real infrastructure bill to fix roads and bridges and the power grid and make sure that access to WiFi was available. Republicans scream about immigration but they have defeated every single attempt to do something about it. Including legislation proposed by Republican Presidents.

They scream about crime, but refuse to offer more than thoughts and prayers while we kill one another in churches, malls, theaters, and schools. The assault weapons ban reduced mass shootings significantly until it expired when George Bush was POTUS. He refused to renew the ban. They refuse to condemn the people in Congress who refused to accept election results and supported an insurrection. They refuse to condemn racism, anti Semitism, or Homophobia. Governors, members of Congress, members of state legislatures, none of them named Trump. Who is palatable to them? Mike Pence? Tell me. I'd like to know what the "good Republicans." find that they're willing to embrace about the party?

by Anonymousreply 36March 16, 2023 2:53 AM

The answer is YES.

I’m a moderate Democrat and all of my Republican friends know that. However, while we debate various public policy issues from the position of our respective parties, they show me nothing but love and respect on a continual basis. Even the few Trumpists have remained loyal…(and yes, they all know I’m gay).

by Anonymousreply 37March 16, 2023 2:55 AM

If there are eleven people and a Nazi having diner, there are twelve Nazis.

You have to be morally bankrupt to allow the kind of evil Republicans have into their social sphere.

by Anonymousreply 38March 16, 2023 2:55 AM

A good person can be a conservative if they are NOT a White Evangelical Supremacist Racist who does not vote for Republicans. A true unaffiliated independent.

by Anonymousreply 39March 16, 2023 2:57 AM

R37 I feel sad for you because I think you're delusional...or you're really not a "moderate " Democrat. I laughed out loud at your assertion that you "debate various policy issues from the position of our respective parties." and good for you, they "know your Gay." They have no policy positions. All they ever have done is scream and shout and attack, and they offer no solutions. Nada. And they were that way before Trump and Putin hijacked the PArty. Tell me do you discuss their "policy position" on Transexuals? Or Critical Race Theory? Or American History? Or Banned books? Please come up with a better rationalization.

by Anonymousreply 40March 16, 2023 3:07 AM

R40 define "Conservative" please. Tell me What constitutes a Conservative?

by Anonymousreply 41March 16, 2023 3:08 AM

[quote] Republicans are not "half the country." Registered Republicans only constitute some 25% of registered voters.

Should the Non-Registered Republicans be murdered alongside the Registered Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 42March 16, 2023 3:08 AM

Fucking CPAC, bitch R41.

by Anonymousreply 43March 16, 2023 3:09 AM

I found a good Republican.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 16, 2023 3:12 AM

Fox News has been exposed in front of the whole world as liars and frauds. They promoted an insurrection even as they knew there was no election fraud. So anyone who still watches Fox and digests their information as gospel, and listens to Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity, and still considers themselves "good people" is as dishonest as it gets, because they have been conditioned by now, to act on their beliefs and what they believe is provably false and hateful.

by Anonymousreply 45March 16, 2023 3:12 AM

"A conservative" ≠ "a true unaffiliated independent," R39. They are not 'unaffiliated.'

What are conservatives conserving, supposedly?

[quote]R42: Should the Non-Registered Republicans be murdered alongside the Registered Republicans?

'Murder' would be the go-to conservative solution, R42. (Conservatives always project onto others what they would like to do to others themselves.) What would be ideal, however, is that they not be appointed or elected to any form of office whatsoever.

Not even City Dogcatcher.

by Anonymousreply 46March 16, 2023 3:13 AM

Go back forty years and you'd have a hard time spotting a Republican or Democrat unless they spoke in political terms. It wasn't a question you would ask someone in a social situation.

by Anonymousreply 47March 16, 2023 3:13 AM

[quote] Fucking CPAC, bitch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 16, 2023 3:14 AM

R41 here I meant my comment for R39.

by Anonymousreply 49March 16, 2023 3:14 AM

Another good Republican. He tries to "help" young gay men...while voting against them. It's not like he's some kind of insane, rotting troll or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 16, 2023 3:22 AM

If you're trying to decide if it's alright to fuck one, OP (which I suspect you are), the answer is yes, but under no circumstances can they spend the night.

by Anonymousreply 51March 16, 2023 3:28 AM

That is so true R47 People didn't talk about politics all the time. It is ruining and dividing the country. I think it is mostly people who never leave the internet.

by Anonymousreply 52March 16, 2023 3:29 AM

Or need to get abortion.

by Anonymousreply 53March 16, 2023 3:31 AM

No and that’s what I think is the difference between democrats and republicans. Even the educated ones. Repubs naturally live in generalizations as a survival mechanism. And real talk; it does come in handy sometimes. But that’s the main difference between them and us.

by Anonymousreply 54March 16, 2023 3:34 AM

My comment was for r26.

by Anonymousreply 55March 16, 2023 3:35 AM

[quote] I think it is mostly people who never leave the internet.

They communicate in 'Twitter-speak' and are incapable of subtlety or nuance.

by Anonymousreply 56March 16, 2023 3:36 AM

[quote] Repubs naturally live in generalizations…

R54 Have you come to this general conclusion by intense study on the Internet?

by Anonymousreply 57March 16, 2023 3:39 AM

R57 No real life.

by Anonymousreply 58March 16, 2023 3:40 AM

You spelled Democrat wrong.

by Anonymousreply 59March 16, 2023 3:42 AM

R58 For how long have you been conversing with these confessed Republicans.

How many of them did you study?

by Anonymousreply 60March 16, 2023 3:44 AM

R60 Fuck off cunt. You achin my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 61March 16, 2023 3:48 AM

[quote]they show me nothing but love and respect on a continual basis

I've lived through conversations like this, and the good Republicans say very different things behind your back, R37. I could rattle off a litany of experiences as evidence of this fact, but it's all hearsay, so I'll just be blunt: they call you a faggot behind your back. The joke about your "marriage" or if you're not married, it's an indication that there's something wrong with [italic]you[/italic] . When their behavior and love- and respect-showing matters, they vote against your rights and for stripping you of what few rights you have.:

tl;dr: Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 62March 16, 2023 4:49 AM

Brainwashing and tribal loyalty. I guess there's some sort of 'good' involved in loyalty to your family, extended family, clan, 'tribe' I suppose. I mean it's based on trying to keep your own people alive, which I suppose is how our species has survived.

But I tend to believe that's not good -- and intelligent, thoughtful humans have evolved to be able to think of all people as one, and the good of all depends on the good of the most vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 63March 16, 2023 5:13 AM

No OP, they can't.

by Anonymousreply 64March 16, 2023 5:29 AM

[quote] And yes half the country is evil.

Republicans are not half the country lol

by Anonymousreply 65March 16, 2023 5:31 AM

If they haven’t watched television in 15 years, then it is possible.

by Anonymousreply 66March 16, 2023 5:34 AM

OP stop asking stupid questions. It takes up bandwidth.

by Anonymousreply 67March 17, 2023 6:22 PM

Oh daddy! Are you happy to see me or do you have a cashew nut in your pocket again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 17, 2023 6:32 PM

If you are a Democrat, you are a bad person.

The Democrats rig their primaries.

The Democratic Party is the pro-censorship party.

by Anonymousreply 69March 17, 2023 9:17 PM

R37 is too good to be true. Because he's imaginary.

by Anonymousreply 70March 17, 2023 9:22 PM

That was a piss poor effort, troll @R69. Vlad not happy. Better work for his Rubles.

by Anonymousreply 71March 17, 2023 9:23 PM

R69 Ron DeSantoad is a Democrat?

by Anonymousreply 72March 17, 2023 9:23 PM

No, not now. There is no republican party as we know it any longer, they are destroying our democracy. The only side to pick is American democracy or a dictator state. There is no other side.

by Anonymousreply 73March 17, 2023 9:40 PM

There seem to be song decent republicans in New England. Didn't MA have a couple of good Republican governors in the past few years? But that's the exception, not the rule. Most Republicans are delusional.

by Anonymousreply 74March 17, 2023 10:01 PM

*some, not song

by Anonymousreply 75March 17, 2023 10:01 PM

As I said earlier, look at the policies not how well they present themselves.

by Anonymousreply 76March 17, 2023 10:14 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 17, 2023 10:16 PM

Republicans are frauds, fakes, and garbage. And proud of it. No, it is not possible OP. It is not possible to be SO IGNORANT that you don't understand the basic immorality of the republican premises. None of them can discuss politics without lying about the facts, and without suggesting actions Hitler himself would have found shocking.

by Anonymousreply 78March 18, 2023 4:53 PM

Democrats all want free stuff.

by Anonymousreply 79March 21, 2023 3:00 PM

R69 gets it.

by Anonymousreply 80March 21, 2023 3:59 PM

The U.S. is not a democracy r73. Never has been.

by Anonymousreply 81March 21, 2023 4:01 PM

Bullshit, R79. You need to up date your MAGA and GQP accounts for some new talking points.

by Anonymousreply 82March 21, 2023 6:31 PM

R79, is that the worst accusation you can come up with? Compared to colluding with our foreign adversaries and attempting to overthrow the government, and robbing women of reproductive freedom, voter suppression, gerrymandering, and banning books and education for kids? We don't want "free" anything. We want our tax dollars used to strengthen our country and serve the needs of the people. Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 83March 21, 2023 6:34 PM

Republicans/Conservatives mistreated, killed and kidnapped children at our Southern border and had no way (and not intention) of ever reuniting the children they kidnapped with their families. They defend those killings and kidnappings as righteous.

Imagine it, self-righteous child murderers and kidnappers.

No, Conservatives/Republicans cannot be described as "good people" now or ever again.

by Anonymousreply 84March 21, 2023 7:00 PM

R79, maybe Democrats all want free stuff, but it's free stuff for everyone. Republicans want free stuff to, but only for themselves and their cronies.

by Anonymousreply 85March 22, 2023 4:09 AM

Can a Democrat pass a law that will keep criminals off the street?

by Anonymousreply 86March 22, 2023 1:21 PM

crime is down, but what ever

by Anonymousreply 87March 22, 2023 1:50 PM

This is the easiest question to be asked in 2023: NO.

by Anonymousreply 88March 22, 2023 2:34 PM

We truly get the most basic, laziest trolls ever. Even Russians wouldn't give them the potatoes that cattle rejected.

by Anonymousreply 89March 22, 2023 2:36 PM

No. No. A million times no.

by Anonymousreply 90March 22, 2023 2:37 PM

We don't rob convenience stores for $60. We don't get our hands dirty. We commit white collar crimes into the billions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 22, 2023 3:42 PM

I think so, as my in-laws are moral people.

But if you asked me if they are deep-thinking intellectual people, no. They are quite surface-level, easily duped by promises and gimcracks of the Pardoner and the Summoner, as Chaucer clearly saw the groups. Easily swayed by the false Christianity of Elmer Gantry. Easily persuaded to drink the Kool-Aid of unquestioning belief by Jim Jones. Easily susceptible to deranged and dangerous demagoguery by Trump.

So do they know history as written by historians? No. Do they grasp social problems as written by social scientists and Ph. Ds? No. Do they know that they are ignorant of much? No.

by Anonymousreply 92March 22, 2023 3:59 PM

At this point, most good people have left the Republican party. I suppose some good Republicans might secretly be voting Democrat while not being out. But GOP politicians sink lower and lower every day.

by Anonymousreply 93March 22, 2023 5:10 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 94March 22, 2023 5:18 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 95March 22, 2023 5:20 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 96March 22, 2023 5:21 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 97March 22, 2023 5:23 PM

Under the current circumstances, no, they cannot.

by Anonymousreply 100March 22, 2023 5:25 PM

Not any more.

by Anonymousreply 101March 22, 2023 5:44 PM

R94, Now, you must know better than this. Are you seriously equating Biden with Trump as men, as Presidents, and as policy proponents? SERIOUSLY?!?!

You actually think Democrats and Republicans are the same in attitudes and behaviors towards the LGBTQ community?

Do you need a bridge?

by Anonymousreply 102March 22, 2023 5:52 PM

R94 has been blocked.

by Anonymousreply 103March 22, 2023 5:53 PM

R79, And Republicans make sure it all goes to the top 1%.

by Anonymousreply 104March 22, 2023 5:53 PM

The troll farms are in Moscow. So it must be time for them to get off work soon.

by Anonymousreply 105March 22, 2023 5:54 PM

Yes. Progressives are just as retarded and cause extreme damage.

by Anonymousreply 106March 22, 2023 5:59 PM

R106 how about some examples? Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 107March 22, 2023 6:02 PM

I trust some moderate Republicans in my life much more than extremist Yasss Kween progressives, who are constantly operating on an agenda and ready to cancel everyone who doesn’t fall in line immediately, most of which are turning into black supremacists, even the white ones.

by Anonymousreply 108March 22, 2023 6:04 PM

WTF are you talking about? Republicans are the kings (queens) of cancel culture.

Book Burnings

Don't Say Gay or Anything Else

That little Hang Mike Pence thang...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 22, 2023 8:13 PM

Can Trump? R97 The DARKMINGELORD

by Anonymousreply 110March 22, 2023 8:16 PM

if they r voting replublicans, they r murderers, no matter wt u hv been telling urself to convince otherwise

by Anonymousreply 111March 22, 2023 8:26 PM

Not at the present time.

by Anonymousreply 112March 22, 2023 8:48 PM

I have a neighbor who has a sweet disposition and she is kind whenever I Run into her in our parking garage. She is always nice. Has a very empathetic personality. But She gave Trump campaign donations and voted for him twice. And she is as racist and homophobic as t hey come. So I am very nice to her. I hold the door forv her, and we chat about the weather, but she is not "a good person." We need to step back and really look at people beyond the persona they project. Most people are pleasant and polite, and some are even courteous and thoughtful. But they are not "good people."

by Anonymousreply 113March 22, 2023 9:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!