Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Attention whores who walk around talking to their cell phones in speaker mode

We're really not invested in your life. There's no need to put it on broadcast.

You're not holding a conference call.

by Anonymousreply 30March 20, 2023 6:18 AM

Someone did this at my fitness center the other night. Was SCREAMING into his phone for over 30 minutes.

I wanted to grab it, smack him across the face with it, and throw it into traffic.

I'm so sick of people who have consideration only for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1March 15, 2023 11:16 PM

I join in. If you're going to play it that loud, I'm going to yell, "I don't believe it!" or "Are you kidding me?" or "Do it yourself!" or "No way! He did NOT!"

by Anonymousreply 2March 15, 2023 11:24 PM

Someone was having a speaking phone conversation in an elevator (a double sin).

So I just kept repeating what was said.

"I'm in the elevator so I may lose you."

"I'm in the elevator so I may lose you. OMG! Not that!"

"Someone is mocking me."

"Someone is mocking me."

by Anonymousreply 3March 15, 2023 11:54 PM

I was in line to board a flight at the Houston Airport recently. A guy got in line behind me having a loud conversation on speaker phone.

Normally these things piss me off and I do nothing.

This time I magically was able to calmly turn around and say "You don't have any headphones for that?"

He looked at me, apologized, left the line, and went off speaker, bringing the phone to his ear.

No, nobody clapped. Nobody really noticed because I handled it so calmly and quietly. But I felt good about it.

I will try to use that again in the future.

by Anonymousreply 4March 15, 2023 11:59 PM

I wish all of these cunts stage 4 cancer!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5March 15, 2023 11:59 PM

Y’all are so crotchety and intolerant

by Anonymousreply 6March 16, 2023 12:00 AM

Somebody needs to shit on R6's flip phone.

by Anonymousreply 7March 16, 2023 12:02 AM

^I'll do it!!^

by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2023 12:11 AM

Allow me, m’Lady.

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2023 2:20 AM

Can I watch?

by Anonymousreply 10March 16, 2023 2:26 AM

Their obliviousness astounds me. Some people just live like the whole world is their living room

by Anonymousreply 11March 16, 2023 1:46 PM

[quote]Some people just live like the whole world is their living room

Especially when watching movies in theaters.

They talk like they are at home. I'm surprised some of them don't try to pause the film.

by Anonymousreply 12March 16, 2023 2:01 PM

Add to that list people who walk around on their cell (outside or indoors) and suddenly just stop to check something, making the people behind them almost crash into them. SO MANY TIMES I wish I had. All in all, if I could get in a time machine and find the person who invented the cellphone, I'd murder the asshole.

Yes, I have a cell and use it. Like a normal, relatively thoughtful person. I still think the only people who NEED a cell phone are hostage negotiators and people on organ transplant waitlists.

by Anonymousreply 13March 16, 2023 3:24 PM

If I have a call, I typically pull over in my car (or pull myself over on the sidewalk), and take it without speaker employed. While talking, I am always looking around to make sure I'm not in anybody's way, and I am well aware that I only need to speak at normal volume - not shout through the phone as if they are on the other side of a lake.

That's how I was raised at least.

Most calls, I just ignore until I get home, though. Most phone calls can be avoided entirely, even in work situations.

by Anonymousreply 14March 16, 2023 4:22 PM

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 5:49 PM

The people I see doing this are mostly older people who don't seem to get the idea of headphones and seem baffled by their mobile phones in general, turning them every which way to shout into them

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 6:04 PM

[quote]The people I see doing this are mostly older people who don't seem to get the idea of headphones

This has not been my experience.

It is a habit popular with young white males and, even moreso, with African Americans.

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 6:19 PM

Just remember, every time you hear some asshole talking loudly on a cell phone in public, that's because there's another person on the other end who's completely willing to listen to them talk and talk and talk. Because, ya know, that's what assholes deserve, friends who will listen to them no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2023 6:23 PM

I see this all the time at the gym, though not usually on speaker. As a former psych nurse for 10 years, they remind me of many psychotic patients I used to see on the unit, talking out loud to what we used to call, “unseen others.”

Interestingly, I once read an article by the founder of a national support organization for diagnosed psychotics, who encouraged them to acquire a cell phone, and speak to their voices in public, just like everyone around them.

So, how do we know whom these people we see everywhere are really talking to?

Jest askin’…

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2023 6:28 PM

This is mostly an American black people thing. I don’t know why but I sometimes wonder if they’re wanting to be challenged. It’s entitled, aggressive and obnoxious. But I’M the one who’s supposedly “privileged”. Yeah, okay.

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2023 7:36 PM

Oh please, racist at R20.

I've seen this shit from all kinds of white people, especially "Greatest Generation" types, along with the "Gen Z" white babies. Which one of these are you? Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 21March 19, 2023 3:57 AM

They were in full force in the suburban flyoverstan walmart this morning. All boomers. Just annoying.

by Anonymousreply 22March 19, 2023 5:10 AM

The people who hold their phone in front of their mouth horizontally because they won't put it beside their head are insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 23March 19, 2023 5:36 AM

American here and I see this all the time, although I don't see it as tied to any race, ethnicity, gender or age range. It's just assholes who have no awareness of anything other than themselves, which unfortunately is an ever growing segment of the population. The selfishness of some people and lack of any awareness of what is going on around them is astounding. Yes, it's definitely cell phones that have contributed to this.

Something that happens a lot is people sitting first in line at a red light checking their cell phones, texting, or doing whatever on whatever app they have open. The light turns green. They have no idea because their face is buried in their phone. About 50% of the time, when I honk, the person who is holding up the line gets all indignant that I honked. The give me the finger and get all in a rage because, you know, me honking at their clueless ass is a far greater breach of etiquette than them holding up a line of cars because they're buried in their phones. Insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 24March 19, 2023 6:07 AM

I get annoyed when my boss goes on speaker and leaves his office door open. It's obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 25March 19, 2023 6:27 AM

[quote] This is mostly an American black people thing.

Nah. I live in Toronto and this bullshit happens every day. So tiresome. Nobody wants to listen to your conversation. It's the worst when I'm in line at the coffee shop or to pay for items, and some asshole comes up behind me, speaking like a foghorn into their phone, shrieking in my ear or so loud I can still hear them through my noise-canceling headphones. They're young, old, White, Black, gay, straight, doesn't matter. The one common denominator is they're all assholes. I disagree, though that they're oblivious. They know what they are doing and most likely want a confrontation. They want attention. They want to test people. I'm not sure why, though.

I don't know what is more annoying - people talking on their phones in speaker mode, or playing music or some lame YouTube video with no headphones so everybody has to hear it. Again, they want others to hear it. The attitude seems to be I will do whatever I want just because I can...

by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2023 7:05 AM

I was at a store the other day and some crazy woman was speaking loudly into her phone while shopping but she must have had earphones in set to really loud because we could only hear her responding to nothing but a buzzy mumbling sound that was the other person in the conversation. And, when I say 'we' I mean the whole fucking store because this dumb bitch was obnoxiously loud.

by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2023 7:51 AM

Lol R1!

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2023 8:14 AM

It's gotten worse since they stopped putting headphone jacks in cell phones, forcing everyone to Bluetooth or go speaker.

by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2023 10:17 PM

You've specifically noted phones in speaker phone, OP, but it is just as bad listening to people have loud conversations when they have their headphones in. It's rampant at my gym. There's one asshole who talks business, like staff meeting type shit, as he walks around the gym and even while he's doing reps. I scowled at him a couple of times, and he's fucking clueless. These people are completely self-absorbed. SHUT THE FUCK UP!

by Anonymousreply 30March 20, 2023 6:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!