Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brendan Fraser

If a basic actor is going to win an Oscar, I'm glad it's for something where it seems like they're really trying hard and not just Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich or Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side where they're basically just playing themselves. .

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2023 10:33 AM

I really like BF and always enjoyed his work. With that said, he's not an Oscar-worthy actor. And the fact that they just threw this award at him for an arguably good, competent performance but one that was, in my opinion, still weak when taken in comparison to others, really cheapens the success. It feels like they're just handing him an award to shut him up. And that's a shame because he is a good actor, but I don't feel like he really did a good enough job and he's not there yet.

by Anonymousreply 1March 15, 2023 1:43 PM

I like him, too. He seems like such a babe in the woods, working in a cutthroat industry like movie making. Most stars seem like just an inch beneath their attractive exteriors they’re made of cold steel. He just keeps leading with his honesty and vulnerability and I wish him the best.

by Anonymousreply 2March 15, 2023 2:19 PM

Not that I think Julia and Sandy deserved those Oscars but how is Roberts, Erin Brockovich? When did she actually take a case on for a bunch of nobodies to fight the big machine. Never. They aren't playing themselves but they didn't have to wear a fat suit to win an award?

by Anonymousreply 3March 15, 2023 2:25 PM

r3 OP meant personality-wise. Brockovich was never a twitchy bimbo like she is in that movie, that's all Jules.

by Anonymousreply 4March 15, 2023 2:42 PM

At least people like McBongo, Fraser, Theron and Portman played against type and really went for it.

Roberts, Witherspoon, Bullock and Stone got Oscars for being popular more or less.

Bullock's Oscar was the most embarrassing because she's never even really taken any chances.

by Anonymousreply 5March 16, 2023 11:46 AM

Will Smith is another who for being a star. Like Sandra Bullock, he never takes any chances.

At least Julia was in "Closer" and a couple of cool indie movies in the 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 6March 16, 2023 2:00 PM

He should do a Rodney Dangerfield biopic next.

I remember when we rented SCHOOL TIES as kids in the '90s, my grandmother was staying over and remarked that the lead character reminded her of a young Dangerfield.

At the time, I associated Dangerfield with LADYBUGS, a childhood favorite movie, so I was like, "Ew.."

But I can see it now.

by Anonymousreply 7March 16, 2023 2:06 PM

Brendan Fraser in THE WHALE beating Austin Butler in ELVIS is like Philip Seymour Hoffman in CAPOTE winning over Joaquin Phoenix in WALK THE LINE.

In both Butler's and Phoenix's performances, you could feel and taste the sweat, blood, and tears. They even did their own singing. They were amazing to watch.

Fraser's and PSH's performances only required them to wear a fat suit and talk in a funny voice, respectively. Not very demanding and rather boring movies/performances.

by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2023 2:16 PM

I'm perfectly comfortable with his "basic-ness."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2023 2:31 PM

But but my taint! Has the Oscar made him feel better yet?

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2023 6:30 AM

Eveyrone shits on J Law. But she kindly offered up the ass to be rich and famous and isn't losing any sleep over it. And these pussies act the victim. Bitch please. Im not a J Law fan but I like that she's never been a little bitch about all this.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2023 6:33 AM

R5, Bullock would have deserved it for Gravity, if they hadn't already wasted the chance giving it to her for that Blind Side piece of crap. (And the Blanchett could have been prevented from winning for that ridiculously mannered Blue Jasmine performance.)

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2023 6:34 AM

[quote] I really like BF and always enjoyed his work. With that said, he's not an Oscar-worthy actor.

Give me a fucking break.

For that matter, neither are any of the other people who won Oscars this year.

Yeoh is a stunt woman, not an actress.

Jamie Lee Curtis is a scream queen who is basically only known for the Halloween franchise.

And that other guy Kwan hasn't had a regular acting job in decades.

The only one who has been making movies (AND MONEY) regularly for the past three decades, is Brendan Fraser.

So please shut the fuck up.

He deserved it more than the other three.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2023 6:37 AM

r10 don't forget the back injury from the hurricane to excuse his assholery and being a deadbeat dad while shifting to the millions of Americans suffering the same plights, he's just a normal, down to earth, everyday guy... or the slander from predatory hollywood over the years concerning his drunken outbursts, even on set, leading to a lawsuit over threatening gestures and alleged slurs. . . or how he tends to exaggerate certain tales more and more in each retelling of them, where he becomes more saintly and everyone else is trash. Oh and how stupid people didn't get the joke of how he wanted to poke holes in his kids condoms to get grandchildren, that he kept repeating. Oh, why, oh why does everybody pick on him?

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2023 6:40 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2023 6:42 AM

Its pretty unattractive that he bitches about a little taint move. Women have had way worse than you pussy.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2023 6:42 AM

Brendan Fraser’s been making movies the last three decades?

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2023 6:42 AM

Brendan Fraser hasn’t been in a money maker in 20 years. R13 is posting from the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2023 6:44 AM

I have no idea how this dude is getting away with being a big giant vigina

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2023 6:44 AM

he's such a pussy

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2023 6:45 AM

This is yet another CCP propaganda thread from Hollywood and the AMPAS President.

They've taken over our film industry and are always trashing white people.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2023 6:51 AM

Colin Farrell was the best nominated actor this year. No, no-not a question.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2023 7:00 AM

Brendan and Ke Huy Quan (who won best supporting actor) both are nice and so vulnerable I felt like I wanted to protect them and their happiness on Oscar night.

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2023 7:24 AM

Colin Farrell was cute with his son at the Oscars

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2023 7:25 AM

R6 needs to keep Will Smith’s name out of his fat mouth!

Sorry, couldn’t help myself. But really, Will has done some Emotionally heavy movies. “Nine Pounds” the slavery movie he just did, “The Pursuit of Happiness”, “King Richard”, and “Ali” took acting chops that the women you mention rarely have to emote.

Will is a well rounded actor, but he found his niche and excelled so of course people will disregard what he brings to the table.

I think will is on McConaughey level. Just above Cruse and Afflec but right under Matt Damond. All Solid players.

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2023 7:51 AM

[quote] Will is a well rounded actor, but he found his niche and excelled so of course people will disregard what he brings to the table.

Plus, he assaulted someone on national television, in front of a worldwide audience.

No one should be singing his praises.

He should be in jail with the other violent criminals.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2023 8:00 AM

R26 needs to grow a pair. Men used to get into fist fights then move on. A slap doesn’t make him a criminal any more than a speeding ticket makes someone a crook. Only thing hurt was Chris’ ego.

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2023 10:18 AM

[quote] R26] needs to grow a pair. Men used to get into fist fights then move on. A slap doesn’t make him a criminal any more than a speeding ticket makes someone a crook. Only thing hurt was Chris’ ego.

Not R26.

Will Smith committed a crime on a live television stage. It’s called assault. If you or I did what Smith did - and was witnessed by MILLIONS- the LAPD would slap cuffs on us so quick, it would make your head spin.

Instead, Smith goes out and parties, and with his fam tweets, “This is how we do it.”

Smith is an ASSAULTER, a creep and a cuck who committed a crime.

Attacking other posters to deny a fact is never a good look, R27. You’ve lost the plot……not unlike Will Smith.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2023 10:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!