Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Songs ruined by one bad line

“Her placenta falls to the floor” pretty much killed Lightning Crashes for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248July 15, 2023 3:49 PM

2 from Lady Gaga:

"Uranus. Don't you know my ass is famous?"

"Judas kiss me if offenced or wear ear condom next time."

by Anonymousreply 1March 15, 2023 5:00 AM

"Only time will tell if we stand the test of time."

by Anonymousreply 2March 15, 2023 5:02 AM

How can I save my little boy /From Oppenheimer’s deadly toy?

by Anonymousreply 3March 15, 2023 5:05 AM

Jeremy by Pearl Jam "And bit the recess lady's breast"

by Anonymousreply 4March 15, 2023 5:07 AM

Sweden's 2014 Eurovision song is glorious... and then she says "undo my sad" and it's the mother of all needle scratches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 15, 2023 5:09 AM

[quote] “Her placenta falls to the floor” pretty much killed Lightning Crashes for me.

Even without the "placenta" line, the song is killed by the title. Lightning doesn't crash. Thunder crashes.

by Anonymousreply 6March 15, 2023 5:13 AM

"King's Dead" by Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock, and Future

The line: "La di da di da. Slob on mi knob. Pass me some syrup. Fuck me in the car. La di da di da. Motherfuck the law. Chitty chitty bang. Murder everything."

It's not just the line, it's the way Future delivers it that makes it even more ridiculous/hilarious. It completely took me out of the song the first time I heard it. My immediate reaction was a stern, "WTF??"

It's around the 1:40 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 15, 2023 5:17 AM

“And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 15, 2023 5:21 AM

Dear one, I don’t miss you inside me.

by Anonymousreply 9March 15, 2023 5:21 AM

"Bouncing around bouncing around, bouncing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 15, 2023 5:24 AM

Neil diamond: “songs you sang to me, songs you BRANG to me…”

by Anonymousreply 11March 15, 2023 5:54 AM

R4 That line gave me nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 12March 15, 2023 12:40 PM

The “suckin’ on a chili dog” line from Jack & Diane is gross.

by Anonymousreply 13March 15, 2023 12:48 PM

From "Sometimes It Be That Way," by Jewel:

While playing the guitar she sings, "Night has many hands, but I have just one."

Why do you only have one hand? And how are you playing the guitar with only one hand?

by Anonymousreply 14March 15, 2023 12:54 PM

Is she talking about playing poker?

by Anonymousreply 15March 15, 2023 12:55 PM

"Came the telegram, Mama passed away while making homemade jam". Actually the whole song "I'm Living in shame" is a shit show but this infamous line sinks it lower. It's been called "the messiest death in rock an Roll History"

by Anonymousreply 16March 15, 2023 12:57 PM

Cher's bizarre mismatch of lyrics and melody in "Believe."

by Anonymousreply 17March 15, 2023 12:59 PM

Throw mama from the train…a kiss.

by Anonymousreply 18March 15, 2023 1:00 PM

OP, did you have a problem with “the calliope crashed to the ground,” as well?

by Anonymousreply 19March 15, 2023 1:07 PM

I don’t agree with OP at all.

by Anonymousreply 20March 15, 2023 1:10 PM

“Did you come here to play Jesus to all the lepers in your head?”

It’s a terrible song but that line is just so, so, so terrible that it deserves a special shout out for taking a terrible song and making it unlistenable

by Anonymousreply 21March 15, 2023 1:13 PM

I know it’s cheesy, but I love the song “If” from the Diana musical. I initially had a problem with the line about has she was excited to “stand in a queue again,” but that’s based upon something she actually said.

What broke my heart and changed the feel of the song was learning that what I thought was “Alight the world,” about going off, starting over and setting the world on fire, was really “I’ll light the world,” which is much more narcissistic about being a bight beacon for the world instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 15, 2023 1:15 PM

“How do I get back there,

To the place I fell asleep inside you.”

Has always made me a bit queasy, in a song I otherwise love lyrically for it brilliant play of words and metaphors.

by Anonymousreply 23March 15, 2023 1:23 PM

Well, smell YOU, R20.

by Anonymousreply 24March 15, 2023 1:27 PM

I love New York, other cities make me feel like a dork

by Anonymousreply 25March 15, 2023 3:29 PM

Totally agree about "Sucking on a chili dog, outside the tasty freeze....."

by Anonymousreply 26March 15, 2023 6:36 PM

My mom got incensed about Jewel's "I break the yolk and make a smiley face." ("I kind of like it in my brand new place.) Mom said: what kind of song is this? I could write this kind of song.

by Anonymousreply 27March 15, 2023 6:43 PM

R27, that's a great example!

by Anonymousreply 28March 15, 2023 6:47 PM

Pretty much every word of Drops of Jupiter is cringe-inducing, but here are some of the worst.

She checks out Mozart while she does Tae-Bo Reminds me that there's a room to grow, hey, yeah

Can you imagine no love, pride, deep-fried chicken Your best friend always sticking up for you Even when I know you're wrong? Can you imagine no first dance, freeze-dried romance Five hour phone conversation The best soy latte that you ever had, and me?

by Anonymousreply 29March 15, 2023 6:53 PM

R11, while we're talking Neil Diamond:

"I am, I said

To no one there

And no one heard at all, not even the chair."

It sucks when even your patented Hearz-It-AllⓇ Sentient Chair doesn't listen to you.

by Anonymousreply 30March 15, 2023 7:14 PM

What's wrong with talking to a chair?

by Anonymousreply 31March 15, 2023 7:23 PM

"I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer".

by Anonymousreply 32March 15, 2023 7:28 PM

I like to singy singy singy

Like a bird

on a wingy wingy wingy

by Anonymousreply 33March 15, 2023 7:29 PM

r16: That line made me wonder if someone managed to save the jam from boiling over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 15, 2023 7:33 PM

I didn't realize Neil Diamond had so many bad lyrics.

I just thought of a bad lyric the other day, on par with, "Only time will tell if we stand the test of time." I have forgotten it. Dammit!

by Anonymousreply 35March 15, 2023 7:39 PM

"Weaker than a dying child. Anger, like a murdered child." Kimara Lovelace - "Misery"

People are out dancing in the club. What a fucking downer.

Great track. Terrible lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 36March 15, 2023 7:41 PM

Concrete jungle where dreams are made of

by Anonymousreply 37March 15, 2023 7:51 PM

"Now there's two less lonely people in the world" (Air Supply 80s hit)

I think this is supposed to mean "two fewer lonely people in the world." Or does it mean two less-lonely people in the world -- they were very lonely before, but now they're only a little lonely?

I hate that this ambiguity irritates me, and I also hate that I even waste half a brain cell on this shitty song.

by Anonymousreply 38March 15, 2023 7:56 PM

R38, it means that the singer has found someone to keep him company. The singer was lonely and so was that Special Someone. Now that the singer and that Special Someone have found each other, neither are lonely. Hence, two fewer, or less, lonely people (or persons) in the world.

by Anonymousreply 39March 15, 2023 7:59 PM

Are you strong enough to be my man. Lie to me. I promise I’ll believe. Lie to me, but please don’t leave.

Just who sounds like the weak one here?

by Anonymousreply 40March 15, 2023 8:05 PM

R39 So they meant 'two fewer' and got it wrong. Now they sound a little less lonely than they were before.

by Anonymousreply 41March 15, 2023 8:14 PM

Carly has some wonderfully bad lines: You had one eye in the mirror, as you watched yourself gavotte

by Anonymousreply 42March 15, 2023 8:36 PM

Barbara Cook wanted to sing Don McLean's "Vincent" but didn't because she hated the line, "The world was never meant for one as beautiful as you."

by Anonymousreply 43March 15, 2023 8:46 PM

“I walk without a cut

Through a stained glass wall.”

by Anonymousreply 44March 15, 2023 9:17 PM

However did Don McLean do without the $4.63 he would have gotten in royalties from Babs' version?

by Anonymousreply 45March 15, 2023 9:18 PM

"You ask me if I known love And what it's like to sing songs in the rain Well, I've seen love come And I've seen it shot down I've seen it die in vain"

Jon Bon Jovi (Blaze of Glory), makes me laugh every time I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 46March 15, 2023 9:51 PM

"Yeahuuuh … [some expletives] … WOOOOOWHEEEEE"

Jay Z in Mariah Carey’s Heartbreaker.

by Anonymousreply 47March 15, 2023 10:07 PM

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something

And I said "What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?"

She said, "I think I remember that film

And as I recall, I think we both kinda liked it."

[bold] And I said "Well, that's the one thing we've got." [/bold]

God awful song, but the conclusion to the chorus is another level of idiotic.

You both "kind of liked" the same movie? Yeah, you can hang a relationship on that.

by Anonymousreply 48March 15, 2023 10:32 PM

[quote]You had one eye in the mirror, as you watched yourself gavotte

Well I'll be. This belongs on the misheard lyrics thread, but my whole life I thought the lyric was:

You had one eye in the mirror, as you watched yourself go by it.

by Anonymousreply 49March 15, 2023 10:54 PM

R4 Never knew what that line means.

by Anonymousreply 50March 15, 2023 11:01 PM

A lot of these songs suck with or without the mentioned lines. Live, Third Eye Blind, Bon Jovi, Train, Air Supply? What are you guys smoking?

by Anonymousreply 51March 15, 2023 11:02 PM

I like the song “For You” by Bruce Springsteen, but I hate hate hate the line “who am I to ask you to lick my sores?” Gross, ruins the song for me. Shame, because there’s so many good lyrics in that song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 15, 2023 11:04 PM

‘Something heavy like a first day period’

Gross.

This being the same Janet who back in 93 made a comment about being different from Madonna because what she did ‘has class’.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 15, 2023 11:13 PM

Speaking of Springsteen:

[quote] You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright.

(Thunder Road.) That's something you can have an inner "dialogue" about, but that's supposedly spoken out loud while you're trying to get laid.

by Anonymousreply 54March 15, 2023 11:49 PM

The very first line of "Evergreen" - Love, soft as an easy chair.......- having an easy chair thrown in always struck me as unintentionally humorous and bad song writing. And to think Babs helped to write this mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 16, 2023 12:14 AM

[quote]Concrete jungle where dreams are made of

That line fucking makes me want to scream. Like there was NO OTHER one-syllable word that would have worked.

by Anonymousreply 56March 16, 2023 12:16 AM

R.E.M.’s “You Are the Everything is impeccably gotgeous except for this one line:

“And you're drifting off to sleep with your teeth in your mouth.”

What, as opposed to in a jar on the nightstand?

by Anonymousreply 57March 16, 2023 12:23 AM

Gorgeous, not gotgeous.

by Anonymousreply 58March 16, 2023 12:24 AM

Someone left the cake out in the rain

by Anonymousreply 59March 16, 2023 12:34 AM

Shakira’s ‘whenever wherever’ is a catchy song, but this line is so dumb: “Luckily my breasts are small and humble, so you don't confuse them with mountains.”

by Anonymousreply 60March 16, 2023 12:53 AM

"All you need is love" in "All You Need Is Love."

by Anonymousreply 61March 16, 2023 12:58 AM

R21

I think One is a beautiful song (that line is horrible) if you look at it in the context of a relationship ending.

by Anonymousreply 62March 16, 2023 1:00 AM

"Say a little prayer for I" NO

by Anonymousreply 63March 16, 2023 1:11 AM

I love Kate Bush but “I pine a lot, I find the lot, falls through without you” in Wurthering Heights needs a rethink.

Also “Respectfully I say to thee, I’m aware that you’re cheating” in Upside Down bugs me. Why is there Elizabethan English in there? It’s not like Shakespeare wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 64March 16, 2023 2:03 AM

"She's giving me excitations" from the Beach Boys "Good Vibrations"

by Anonymousreply 65March 16, 2023 2:13 AM

r64, totally agree about Upside Down. When I first heard "Respectfully I say to thee" I was wondering if Diana had turned Amish or something

by Anonymousreply 66March 16, 2023 2:20 AM

Paula Abdul, "Blowing Kisses in the Wind":

I'm only wishing you'd

Love me like I

by Anonymousreply 67March 16, 2023 2:21 AM

"Love is a lecture on how to correct your mistakes."

— Stephen Joshua Sondheim

by Anonymousreply 68March 16, 2023 2:36 AM

R64 - agree! When singers start putting ‘thee’ into songs it always sounds awkward and like bad writing.

I don’t mind the Kate Bush one as much but you reminded me of a guy I used to work with who hated that line too. Your name isn’t Neil by any chance, is it? Hehe.

In “Beautiful Stranger” I always get second hand embarrassment from the line: “You’re the devil in disguise, that’s why I’m singing this song.” It’s very awkward and doesn’t really make sense.

by Anonymousreply 69March 16, 2023 2:39 AM

I never like it when the lyrics refer to singing the song that you are listening to.

I will grant an exception to the Madonna/Prince duet Love Song, also Bye Bye Baby, which references back to it, but other than that, no.

It's like when the book that you are reading references the fact that you are reading it.

by Anonymousreply 70March 16, 2023 2:46 AM

I feel so dirty when they start talkin’ cute,

I want to tell her that I love her but the point is rather moot

Jessie’s Girl

by Anonymousreply 71March 16, 2023 3:02 AM

“They lived and they died, they preyed to their gods, but the stone gods did not make a sow-ow-ow-nd…”

- All This Time by Sting

by Anonymousreply 72March 16, 2023 3:12 AM

^prayed

by Anonymousreply 73March 16, 2023 3:13 AM

[quote] I never like it when the lyrics refer to singing the song that you are listening to.

"Didn't quite hit the note. That wasn't such a good time."

by Anonymousreply 74March 16, 2023 3:28 AM

“Don’t you wanna dance, say you wanna dance… with somebody who loves ME?!”- Whitney, I Wanna Dance With Somebody

Why would I wanna dance with somebody who loves HER?

by Anonymousreply 75March 16, 2023 3:48 AM

R64 beat me to it, darn! I love Upside Down but the “thee” shit is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 76March 16, 2023 7:05 AM

Hunting the horny back toad

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is such a perfect song, but I was shocked when I looked up the lyrics here. Mary!

by Anonymousreply 77March 16, 2023 9:02 AM

Jeremiah was a BULLfrog! Was a good friend of mine!

I hate that so much.

by Anonymousreply 78March 16, 2023 10:44 AM

R71 Haha. Good one - the first line is so sexy but is ruined by the awkward attempt to find a rhyming word. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 79March 16, 2023 11:58 AM

Wanna Be Starting Somethin’ I mean - I get what he’s trying to say here but if you don’t know all the lines, it’s just silly.

You're a vegetable, you're a vegetable Still they hate you, you're a vegetable You're just a buffet, you're a vegetable They eat off of you, you're a vegetable

by Anonymousreply 80March 16, 2023 12:01 PM

R77 Good one! That line totally takes me out of the song.

by Anonymousreply 81March 16, 2023 12:08 PM

"Nobody does it half as [italic]good[/italic] as you" in Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better" always sends the needle screeching across the record.

Wouldn't Carole Bayer Sager let you change it to "Nobody does it half as [italic]well[/italic] as you"? It wouldn't have changed anything as far as meaning or rhyme goes, Carly, so WTF?

by Anonymousreply 82March 16, 2023 2:50 PM

R57 Great example. You Are The Everything is probably my favorite R.E.M. song, but that line is so stupid. Even Michael Stipe said he regrets writing it.

by Anonymousreply 83March 16, 2023 7:05 PM

“Just like a rainbow, you know you set me free.”

by Anonymousreply 84March 16, 2023 10:10 PM

Joni Mitchell's "Furry Sings The Blues"

"WC Handy, I'm rich and I'm fey / And I'm not familiar with what you play"

by Anonymousreply 85March 16, 2023 10:15 PM

I always thought that Diana Ross's "thee" was a reflection of southern black preacher bible talk, not an attempt to imitate Shakespeare's sonnets or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 86March 16, 2023 10:40 PM

Allentown by Billy Joel "...So the graduations hang on the wall"

Of course, he meant diplomas but that didn't fit well.

by Anonymousreply 87March 17, 2023 7:23 AM

I love "the graduations hang on the wall." I'd like to think there's still a place for metonymy in our lyric idiom.

by Anonymousreply 88March 17, 2023 11:46 AM

R8 I don't think that's too bad, it's a decent metaphor for leaving behind something that once made you feel safe

by Anonymousreply 89March 17, 2023 12:35 PM

Sting wrote many awkward lyrics.

“He starts to shake and cough, just like the old man in that book by Nabokov”

“Hey there mighty brontosaurus! Don’t you have a lesson for us?”

by Anonymousreply 90March 17, 2023 4:57 PM

"You're a vegetable."

by Anonymousreply 91March 17, 2023 5:00 PM

It's more than just one line, but what the hell does this mean "I'm pining for the moon And what if there were two Side by side in orbit Around the fairest sun"? Another otherwise great REM song.

by Anonymousreply 92March 17, 2023 5:05 PM

The first time I heard "Formation," I liked it for the line, "Earned all this money but they never take the country off me," which seemed to be a semi-provocative statement merging black feminism and anti-capitalism in a pop song. I lost interest once I read the real lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 93March 17, 2023 5:13 PM

“just I and my friend” 😩

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 17, 2023 5:18 PM

R54, thank you. That line made me really dislike Bruce Springstein, and I am from New Jersey. It's a horrible thing to say to someone.

This is a fantastic thread.

by Anonymousreply 95March 17, 2023 5:26 PM

Say I look nice when I'm not

by Anonymousreply 96March 17, 2023 5:58 PM

I'm a Doors fan but so many of their potentially great songs are wrecked by Morrison's terrible lyrics. From "Not to Touch the Earth":

[italic]Dead president's corpse in the driver's car

[italic]The engine runs on glue and tar

As opposed to a live president's corpse in a self-driving car? I wasn't there, but did this shit pass as profound in the 60s?

by Anonymousreply 97March 17, 2023 6:08 PM

Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay Were laid spread out before me as her body once did

Some good lines in the song but the opening lines are awkward and sound even worse when sung. It sounds like "legs spread out before me".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98March 17, 2023 6:18 PM

She’s not me She doesn’t have my name

Lazy lyric and Kinda the point since he dumped you for her

by Anonymousreply 99March 17, 2023 6:59 PM

"Cry Me a River" is a good song until it goes sophomore English pretentious: "Told me love was too plebian!"

(A bad lyric made even worse when Barbra doesn't realize that the rhyme is with "me an'" not "me aaaaaaaaaaand")

by Anonymousreply 100March 17, 2023 7:30 PM

I think it's a MC Hammer song that rhyme love with "going out to buy dove"

by Anonymousreply 101March 17, 2023 7:37 PM

I DETEST;

Papa Don't Preach I'm in Trouble, Deep.

Horrible lyrics when you can't even get English right

by Anonymousreply 102March 17, 2023 7:37 PM

OP is a fat fag hag

by Anonymousreply 103March 17, 2023 7:46 PM

R103 bathes with a rag on a stick

by Anonymousreply 104March 17, 2023 7:57 PM

R94, what's grammatically wrong with “just I and my friend” in apposition to the subject of the verb? It's not like Jim Morrison's “for you and I.”

by Anonymousreply 105March 17, 2023 11:25 PM

[quote] It sounds like "legs spread out before me".

I thought that was the real lyric.

[quote] Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay Were laid spread out before me as her body once did

Art major here. Canvas is sold in rolls or sheets, I guess. Usually, you'd staple or nail the canvas onto a frame or "stretcher bars" before you start painting. You just call it your "canvas."

Clay is sold in blocks, not sheets, though, I think.

by Anonymousreply 106March 17, 2023 11:40 PM

The first two that always come to mind are by Rick James.

In "Deja Vu (I've Been Here Before)" a song he wrote for Teena Marie to sing on her first album, there's the line:

"Once I was a white gazelle, on horseback riding free..."

The song is gorgeous, and I never gave the lyric a second thought, until one day I did. A gazelle riding on the back of a horse? Seriously? And nobody intervened and told him that a gazelle couldn't ride horseback even if it wanted to? Totally takes me out of the song every time I hear it now. Now I'm always trying to picture just how the fuck the gazelle would ride horseback...

The other one is from "Fire and Desire", perhaps THE quintessential R&B love duet of the 80's, which he also recorded with Teena. The song features several long spoken sections, one of which has Rick stating to Teena "since you've been gone, I don't think I've ever felt this way before". Again, was everybody just too high, or were they too intimidated by Rick's craziness to mention that this lyric makes no sense?

by Anonymousreply 107March 17, 2023 11:47 PM

I like to singy singy singy like a bird on the wingy wingy wingy -Madonna, Impressive Instant

by Anonymousreply 108March 17, 2023 11:48 PM

R101- It's "out buying dub" (from "Have You Seen Her?"), but I heard it as "dove," too, for the longest time.

by Anonymousreply 109March 17, 2023 11:57 PM

'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

by Anonymousreply 110March 18, 2023 12:19 AM

A couple of songs with hilariously mundane lyrics:

Ring My Bell:

[quote] Well lay back and relax, While I put away the dishes (put away the dishes)

One Less Bell to Answer:

[quote] One less bell to answer. One less egg to fry ...

by Anonymousreply 111March 18, 2023 12:47 AM

When I played Joni's Cold Blue Steel for him, my brother exclaimed "That's disgusting" when she sang "red water in the bathroom sink, fever in the scum-brown bowl".

by Anonymousreply 112March 18, 2023 1:12 AM

R112 That is an amazing song. As close to poetry as song lyrics get.

When Joni sings "Blue Steel still begging, But it's indistinct"

I thought she sang "But it's Ernestine."

And I wondered who is that? The telephone operator?

by Anonymousreply 113March 18, 2023 1:30 AM

"Spring was never waiting for us, boy It ran one step ahead As we followed in the dance Between the parted pages and were pressed In love's hot, fevered iron Like a striped pair of pants"

Looking for a sexual metaphor . . . and landing on ironing striped pants. Seriously? Striped pants. Ironing. Incredible.

At least we know the relationship is over, because the fucking cake "melted in the rain." And the recipe was lost, so no more cake-simile relationships, I guess. Presumably no more fucking like pants and an iron either.

by Anonymousreply 114March 18, 2023 1:33 AM

Dan Fogelberg has a couple:

In "Next Time" (probably my favorite song of his):

"One too many days, I've felt forgotten

And one too many nights, I've slept alone

And every time I WATCHED THE FRUIT TURN ROTTEN

I tell myself I'll be a little smarter next time..."

Who the hell wants to hear lyrics about rotting fruit in an otherwise beautiful ballad? YUCK!!!

And from "Make Love Stay":

"Moments fleet, taste sweet within the rapture

When PRECIOUS FLESH IS GREEDILY CONSUMED

But mystery's a thing not easily captured

And ONCE DECEASED, NOT EASILY EXHUMED"

Seriously what was wrong with this guy? Eating flesh and exhuming the deceased? GUH-ROSS!!!

by Anonymousreply 115March 18, 2023 1:34 AM

"I had a dream. I had an AWESOME dream."

(OK, the whole song sucks. But that's the line that cements its suckiness.)

by Anonymousreply 116March 18, 2023 1:39 AM

Michael Stipe had his share of clunkers. I always hated, "Aluminum, tastes like fear," from E-Bow the Letter.

by Anonymousreply 117March 18, 2023 1:47 AM

r111: I always thought "One less egg to fry"? Now you can make a nice two-egg omelette and have a satisfying breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 118March 18, 2023 1:50 AM

[Quote] Well lay back and relax, While I put away the dishes (put away the dishes)

I love Ring My Bell but never realized that was the lyric!

by Anonymousreply 119March 18, 2023 1:56 AM

A song called Runaway,by Jefferson Starship. The chorus in that song, totally ruined it. Marty Balin could sing love songs, but, omg that chorus is awful.

by Anonymousreply 120March 18, 2023 3:17 AM

"please understand I'm in love with another man And what he couldn't give me, oh-oh Was the one little thing that you can"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 18, 2023 3:33 AM

r121, I thought the "we planted a tree" line was even worse

by Anonymousreply 122March 18, 2023 3:42 AM

This ENTIRE song:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 18, 2023 3:49 AM

R123 Didn't understand the assignment.

by Anonymousreply 124March 18, 2023 3:53 AM

While Zeppelin has many goofy lyrics, this one makes me giggle whenever I hear it.

It’s so macho and campy:

“Hammer of the Gods”

by Anonymousreply 125March 18, 2023 1:58 PM

I’ve always believed that Taylor Swift had inadequate schooling, especially using Romeo and Juliet as the basis for a happy union in Love Story, but the line that truly irks me is:

‘Cause you were Romeo, and I was a scarlet letter

What? She’s saying she was an adulterous whore? Good times!

by Anonymousreply 126March 18, 2023 2:20 PM

r125 when Robert Plant starts screeching about Gollum it's all over for me.

by Anonymousreply 127March 19, 2023 9:27 AM

R127

Different song but point well taken! That’s from Ramble On, which is supposed to be in the voice of one of the LOTR characters. The lead one. Sorry, just woke up and google isn’t helping.

by Anonymousreply 128March 19, 2023 10:49 AM

R48 You don't get it. She's done with the relationship and he's desperate to hang on, but the only thing he can think of that they have in common is an old movie they both kind of liked. Thus, he's in denial that the relationship is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 129March 19, 2023 11:07 AM

You could go line by line in that Chainsmokers song about fucking on the mattress that you stole from your roommate or whatever. I don't really care enough to look.

by Anonymousreply 130March 19, 2023 11:09 AM

R129 Also, the implication is that BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S was the movie she picked on movie night and he's recalling their time watching it and liking it to try to win her back.

by Anonymousreply 131March 19, 2023 11:15 AM

*primal scream*

by Anonymousreply 132March 19, 2023 3:21 PM

"Lazarus," one of David Bowie's final songs, has a very somber, eerie feel. But then there's the line "I was looking for your ass." Doesn't quite ruin the song, but it's very awkward and kind of spoils the mood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 19, 2023 4:29 PM

R97 The Doors had a few:

“I eat more chicken any man ever seen”

“there's a killer on the road/his brain is squirming like a toad“

by Anonymousreply 134March 19, 2023 5:53 PM

R134, I could probably clutter this whole thread with kludgy Morrison lyrics, though he did get a few good ones in too. "Riders on the Storm" is a great song really brought down by some bad lyrics.

"Into this house we're born.

Into this world we're thrown.

Like a dog without a bone

An actor out on loan..."

In fairness, "I eat more chicken any man ever seen" is Willie Dixon's lyric. "Back Door Man" was a cover. And the lyric works better if you realize that he's not referring to literal chicken. He's talking about other men's young women. When the men come in the front door, he's slipping out the back door. Morrison famously loved fucking his girlfriends in the ass, so maybe he was finding another meaning in the song as well.

by Anonymousreply 135March 19, 2023 8:25 PM

Yeah, "chicken" was definitely a metaphor.

by Anonymousreply 136March 19, 2023 9:45 PM

"You didn't bat an eye when I made you cry"

by Anonymousreply 137March 19, 2023 10:21 PM

I like a lot of Beatles tunes, but the majority of their lyrics are rather amateurish and nonsensical. It kinda ruins them for me and why I never became a fan. I love this bit from GOLDEN GIRLS:

DOROTHY: ♪ She loves you yeah yeah yeah ♫

SOPHIA: 'Yeah yeah yeah' -- you call that music?

Also...

SOPHIA: 'Dot, Dot, what a girl I got / When we shower together we don't have to turn on hot' -- look at me, I'm a Beatle!

😂

by Anonymousreply 138March 21, 2023 2:43 AM

[quote] SOPHIA: 'Dot, Dot, what a girl I got / When we shower together we don't have to turn on hot' -- look at me, I'm a Beatle! 😂

Sounds more like the Beach Boys' "Barbara Ann."

by Anonymousreply 139March 21, 2023 2:45 AM

My fave song by Spandau Ballet, Instinction, has so many:

Cheap bed, in the red/sleep the words out of your head Cold floor, nice and raw/eat the meat that’s on the floor

High tide, some disguise/loving makes the cream taste nice (?!?)

Not to mention the refrain: Stealing cake to eat the moon

Stealing cake to eat the moon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140March 21, 2023 6:27 AM

The Actor, "I'm not an actor I'm not a star and I don't even have my own car." Jarring, and the rhyme seems forced.

by Anonymousreply 141March 21, 2023 11:40 AM

With your teeth in your mouth by REM is still the worst one mentioned here. Or the best song mentioned here. Either way...

by Anonymousreply 142March 21, 2023 7:29 PM

Love Lana, and love “Did you know there’s a tunnel under Ocean Boulevard?” But the line “fuck me to death” kind of takes me out the mood of the song.

by Anonymousreply 143March 21, 2023 9:04 PM

Wake up like a douche

by Anonymousreply 144March 21, 2023 9:15 PM

Except that's not the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 145March 21, 2023 9:18 PM

Speaking of the “thee” thing above, even worse to me is when musicians write lyrics with the “-eth” ending on words.

Like, “Sat In Your Lap” is a great song by Kate Bush, I really love it. But towards the end, she sings:

My cup, she never overfloweth

It is I that moan and groaneth

Ugh! It’s like nails on a chalkboard for me. Also PJ Harvey’s “The Words That Maketh Murder” is a good song, but why ‘maketh’? Can’t stand that!

by Anonymousreply 146March 21, 2023 9:34 PM

[quote]Also “Respectfully I say to thee, I’m aware that you’re cheating” in Upside Down bugs me.

I've always hated this. And by the way, why is she bothering to talk to him "respectfully" when he's cheating on her? Stop being such a fucking doormat, Diana!

by Anonymousreply 147March 21, 2023 9:41 PM

“If I was a sculptor, but then again, no

Or a man who makes potions in a traveling show”

Oh, Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 148March 21, 2023 10:06 PM

R145 No way, ya sure?

by Anonymousreply 149March 21, 2023 10:51 PM

R148 I actually love that line. So random

by Anonymousreply 150March 21, 2023 10:59 PM

Dire Straits’ Money for Nothin’.

Little f*gg*t line.

Otherwise great song. One of the best opening guitar riffs of any song.

by Anonymousreply 151March 22, 2023 1:48 AM

Lana del Rey's "Young and Beautiful" feels lush despite weak lyrics,then she sings All that grace, all that body All that face makes me wanna party

Ugh

by Anonymousreply 152March 22, 2023 2:41 AM

"I Love Me Some Him" by Toni Braxton. The grammar in the title and the chorus has always irked me.

by Anonymousreply 153March 22, 2023 3:52 AM

A lot of Dixieland songs. Can't say a lot of words nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 154March 22, 2023 4:07 AM

Don't Cry For Me Argentina's chorus starts out well, but the "Don't keep your distance" line on which it, and the song, ends is musical bathos and lyrically it sounds like the phone line cut out.

by Anonymousreply 155March 22, 2023 6:20 AM

A bathtub of gentlemen only turn me off. Huuuuh.

What was Janet thinking!?

by Anonymousreply 156March 22, 2023 7:19 AM

Love the song otherwise but:

"I'm still so strange and wild"

We get it Lana, not like the other girls blah blah blah

by Anonymousreply 157March 22, 2023 7:31 AM

R156 = Sondra Prill! Hi, Sondra!

by Anonymousreply 158March 22, 2023 9:06 PM

"Minneapolis" in Janet's Escapade should've been "Haleakala!" instead. It's way more fun to sing and fits the theme of the song better.

by Anonymousreply 159March 25, 2023 1:57 PM

A snippet of "5 years" from David Bowie. I dont think it ultimately ruins it, its still a great song, but nearly...nearly: "News guy wept and told us Earth was really dying (dying) Cried so much his face was wet Then I knew he was not lying (lying)"

Of course your going to wet your face if you cry...you dont need to cry "alot" for that to happen...and why would you think the news guy would lie?

by Anonymousreply 160March 25, 2023 2:09 PM

R97 how do you consider yourself a "big fan" of a band but think the main lyricist sucks? Morrison wrote 90% of their songs lol

by Anonymousreply 161March 25, 2023 2:19 PM

R161 "lol"

by Anonymousreply 162March 25, 2023 2:22 PM

The male singing ruins this song for me, she's like all sultry, she can be anything for you, come-and-fuck-me and then dude is just droning "Im a maaaan" over and over and I swear to god I wanna fucking choke him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163March 25, 2023 2:34 PM

R163 (cont) It's not like there are no erotic stereotypes to draw from. But no, I guess that acknowledging that would be too much for that dudes sensibilites.I'm convinced that whoever wrote that is dead weight in bed.

Thankfully I found a cover from some obscure artists with no male singing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 25, 2023 2:43 PM

Nelly Furtado’s Shit On the Radio is a good song, but this lyric drives me nuts:

“Your face! The colors change from green to yellow, to the point where you can’t even say hello..”

Furtado isn’t the best lyricist, but her music was good.

by Anonymousreply 165March 25, 2023 2:58 PM

"She sewed my new blue jeans"

Yes, it sets up the gloriously fatalistic line "... down in New Orleans," but come on.

by Anonymousreply 166April 8, 2023 1:22 PM

As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti

by Anonymousreply 167April 8, 2023 1:41 PM

“Avatar (A Design For Living)” by Dead Can Dance, from Spleen and Ideal. It’s all gothic imagery, sounds and otherworldly lyrics, until the line…

“That State can decide your child's education”

WTF? This is a Dead Can Dance album, not the PTA!!

by Anonymousreply 168April 8, 2023 1:51 PM

R166 What's wrong with that line?

by Anonymousreply 169April 8, 2023 2:41 PM

Everything. No one makes their kids' jeans; they've always been something you buy (from Levi Strauss and then from other companies). Tailors were male; women would be seamstresses in the traditional society the song is remembering. "New" is gratuitous. The line was blatantly composed for the rhyme and syllable count.

R167 that's a great line. Ridiculously overblown rhetoric doesn't spoil a line in a kitschy hyperbolic song.

by Anonymousreply 170April 8, 2023 2:48 PM

Isn't he singing about his mom sewing him the jeans? It's not a professional tailor. If his mom was into sewing, and most women around that time were, it's perfectly logical that she we sew him new pants. And being poor, having your jeans sewed rather than buying the new Levi's isn't too far stretch

by Anonymousreply 171April 8, 2023 2:57 PM

Hate to tell you, but placenta was your first home.

by Anonymousreply 172April 8, 2023 3:26 PM

[quote]As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti

This is a fantastic line. Especially when the whole damn song is about Africa.

by Anonymousreply 173April 8, 2023 4:52 PM

Yeah, you can just imagine what homemade jeans look like!

The back pockets would either be too close together or two far apart, giving you either a wall-eyed butt or a crosseyed butt.

Now that's all I'll be able to picture when I hear that song next time-- all the ways a pair of mother-made jeans can go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 174April 8, 2023 4:59 PM

R174 You are looking way too much into that line.

by Anonymousreply 175April 8, 2023 5:01 PM

Re: House of the Rising Sun -- The "mother was a tailor/sewed my new blue jeans" line dates back at least to Woody Guthrie's 1941 version of this traditional song.

by Anonymousreply 176April 8, 2023 5:07 PM

The problem with that line in “Africa” is that the metre is all wrong and makes it sound awkward.

by Anonymousreply 177April 8, 2023 7:17 PM

I honestly can't tell you that, r177, as I'm not very knowledgeable about that sort of thing. I guess maybe because I've heard it so many times over the years, it sounds right to be.

You may be right, though, I just don't know. Hell, I don't even know what Randy means when he says, "A little pitchy, dawg."

by Anonymousreply 178April 8, 2023 7:22 PM

I’ve always liked “Happy Together” by the turtles, but that line at the end where he sings “How is the weather?” feels dumb and unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 179April 9, 2023 1:14 AM

“I’m serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer”

Ok the rest of the sing sucks as well, but what a bad line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180April 9, 2023 2:09 AM

There are a LOT of shitty Shakira lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 181April 9, 2023 4:39 AM

Re: Shakira

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182April 9, 2023 4:42 AM

I always thought the line was:

"You had one eye on the mirror, as you watched yourself cavort"

Nirvana, Heart-Shaped box: 'I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn black.'

'Television man is crazy Saying we're juvenile delinquent wrecks Oh, man, I need TV when I got T-Rex'

Always annoyed me for some reason.

Oasis is full of shit lyrics. 'Caught beneath the landslide in a champagne supernova in the sky' for example.

'Should I stay or should I go now? If I go there will be trouble, if I stay it will be double.' Great.

'You say ‘black’ I say ‘white’. You say ‘bark’ I say ‘bite’. You say ‘shark’ I say ‘hey man ‘Jaws’ was never my scene!' Really?

'Bonafide ride, step aside my johnson. Yes I could in the woods of Wisconsin.' RHCP are just awful.

by Anonymousreply 183April 9, 2023 5:06 AM

Lana Del Rey’s Summertime Sadness:

“Oh, my God, I feel it in the air Telephone wires above are sizzling like a snare”

For the longest term I misheard “snare” as “snail”. 🐌

by Anonymousreply 184April 9, 2023 10:06 AM

r184 and I always misheard it as "Momma's mussy"

by Anonymousreply 185April 9, 2023 12:00 PM

I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn black is a great lyric

by Anonymousreply 186April 9, 2023 12:37 PM

OP, that song was written upon pure allegory.

Please do some research regarding the band, & the lead singer/writer, & his spiritual beliefs. Once you do, if you choose to look beyond the tip of your nose, then the song makes sense when proper context is applied.

by Anonymousreply 187April 9, 2023 1:33 PM

I guess "MacArthur Park" doesn't qualify because it has more than one bad line. "someone left the cake out in the rain" is a classic annoying bad line.

by Anonymousreply 188April 9, 2023 4:24 PM

Smell you, r187!

by Anonymousreply 189April 9, 2023 5:18 PM

As much as I love Prince, these lyrics made me cringe. They make no sense at all.

"Maybe the cartridge u was playin' Don't fit in your video game"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190April 9, 2023 5:27 PM

Yeah OP, PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH before your ass comes here quoting Live songs next time.

We have lovely guests from Reddit like R187 policing the threads now and they DeMaND that you DO BeTtER!

by Anonymousreply 191April 9, 2023 11:56 PM

The “geese in flight and dogs that bite” line from Carolina in my Mind is weird.

by Anonymousreply 192April 16, 2023 1:43 AM

"Like on The Lloyd Thaxton Show".

Ugh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 16, 2023 3:33 AM

“Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti”.

Toto’s songs are more about musicianship and mood than lyrics, but that is a clanger.

by Anonymousreply 194April 22, 2023 2:01 PM

Live was one of my favorite bands. So disappointed they imploded or lost their mojo or whatever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195April 22, 2023 2:12 PM

R171 Jeans a kind of a specific garment. They are heavy and thus are carefully designed to stand up to hard work and careless treatment by wearers. Levis last literal decades. They’re not something that momma can make by candlelight and stitch by hand.

They are and were made with specially dyed and woven thick cotton twill with multiple rivets hammered in for support, flatfelled seams and overlocked edges. They require at least 3 machines for manufacture on a production line in a factory. And therefore, are pretty expensive.

If his mother was a tailor, she could well sew him a smart outfit to wear to church on Sunday but not a pair of new blue jeans.

by Anonymousreply 196April 22, 2023 2:40 PM

Fair Game, by Stephen Stills

"The ones you never notice are the ones you have to watch She's pleasant and she's friendly while she's looking at your crotch"

"Crotch" is a word that kills any lyric.

by Anonymousreply 197April 28, 2023 6:16 PM

I love “Ventura Highway,” but what the hell are “alligator lizards in the air?”

Learned something new. I always thought the Africa line was: “As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like a leopardess above the Serengeti.” (It makes no sense, but that’s how I always heard it.)

by Anonymousreply 198April 28, 2023 7:22 PM

NGL, R198, I thought that too, so you're not alone.

by Anonymousreply 199April 28, 2023 9:44 PM

[quote]Learned something new. I always thought the Africa line was: “As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like a leopardess above the Serengeti.” (It makes no sense, but that’s how I always heard it.)

You’re not alone. I thought it was “rises like an empress.”

by Anonymousreply 200May 9, 2023 3:32 AM

“My pussy tastes of Pepsi cola.” Love you Lana, but…TMI.

by Anonymousreply 201May 9, 2023 9:21 AM

Please fuck off, R21. That is one of the best songs of all time.

by Anonymousreply 202June 10, 2023 7:11 PM

"Water, fire, air, and dirt

Fucking magnets -- how do they work?"

by Anonymousreply 203June 10, 2023 8:12 PM

R203 That song was ruined by just those two lines? Cause otherwise it's a great song, right?

by Anonymousreply 204June 10, 2023 8:33 PM

Ahhh. Touche, R204.

by Anonymousreply 205June 10, 2023 8:38 PM

“My hands they're small I know, and they're not yours, they are my own.”

Ummmmm...ok

by Anonymousreply 206June 10, 2023 8:41 PM

[quote] Please fuck off, [R21]. That is one of the best songs of all time.

I'm not R21, but we're just talking about opinions re: lyrics, here. I disagree that "One" by U2 is "one of the best songs of all time." But I'm not going to tell you to "fuck off." It's your opinion and you're entitled to your own opinion.

by Anonymousreply 207June 10, 2023 8:42 PM

Katy Perry Fireworks lyrics for the win:

“Do you ever feel like a plastic bag Drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?”

by Anonymousreply 208June 11, 2023 2:05 AM

"Sometimes when we touch, the honesty's too much." The sad thing is that this song would have turned a legitimate song to a waste. Instead, the song was so bad that it was forgotten and no one noticed it might have the corniest lyrics ever.

by Anonymousreply 209June 11, 2023 2:10 AM

I don’t get the hate for the “faggot” line in “Money for Nothing.” The song is from the perspective of close minded working class blue collar guys bitching about the lifestyles of MTV stars. It’s perfectly in line with what Dire Straits was going for.

by Anonymousreply 210June 11, 2023 2:19 AM

[quote]I'm in the tub, you on the seat

[quote]Lick your lips as I soap my feet

Too many "nos" in that couplet. The image of him sitting on the toilet (the most likely seat in the room), licking his lips, and the reference to her feet--it's all just too many weird words at once.

by Anonymousreply 211June 11, 2023 2:51 AM

R208 Not familiar with the song but considering it is a Katy Perry's, I doubt it is otherwise a great song.

by Anonymousreply 212June 11, 2023 11:18 AM

"Photograph" by Def Leppard.

"Look what you've done to this rock 'n' roll clown ... "

WTF is a rock 'n' roll clown?!

by Anonymousreply 213June 11, 2023 11:54 AM

[quote]“Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti”.

I don't get the complaints here regarding that line.

Kilimanjaro and the Serengeti are both in Africa. Tanzania, to be exact.

The song is merely likening Mount Kilimanjaro to Greece's fabled Mount Olympus,

by Anonymousreply 214June 11, 2023 12:43 PM

“Plush” by Stone Temple Pilots:

“ And I feel, and I feel When the dogs begin to smell her Will she smell alone?‘

The lyrics elicit images of large dogs sniffing a female crotch. Dogs smelling crotches is socially awkward and gives me second hand embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 215June 11, 2023 12:58 PM

Nora Jones’

“Don’t know why I didn’t come”

Unless she’s referring to her fail to orgasm, grammatically it should be, “I don’t know why I didn’t go”

by Anonymousreply 216June 11, 2023 1:01 PM

R215 how come?

by Anonymousreply 217June 11, 2023 1:01 PM

.^^^

by Anonymousreply 218June 11, 2023 1:02 PM

So funny.

I'm R217 and I was asking R215 why s/he gets second-hand embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 219June 11, 2023 1:06 PM

"Like a hobo I born to walk alone."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220June 11, 2023 1:38 PM

[bold]"MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark All the sweet, green icing flowing down someone left the cake out in the rain I don't think that I can take it 'cause it took so long to bake it and I'll never have that recipe again Oh no! Oh no NOOOOO OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 221June 11, 2023 1:55 PM

R215 Mudhoney-Here comes sickness

"All the neighborhood dogs Sniffing at her crotch"

Great lyric by a great Real grunge band.

by Anonymousreply 222June 11, 2023 7:32 PM

R216, not necessarily.

If someone had asked her, "Why didn't you come to the party / come over / come along with us / come with me" it would be reasonable to answer, "Don't know why I didn't come."

For that reason, I always read the song "Don't Know Why" as an answer to an unknown questioner.

by Anonymousreply 223June 12, 2023 6:36 PM

R207, you can fuck off, too.

by Anonymousreply 224June 12, 2023 8:16 PM

R21/R207/R204, stop it! You hurt each other, and you do it again!

by Anonymousreply 225June 12, 2023 8:45 PM

That Rent song where he yells "get the moonlight out of your hair." All of Rent is corny, but there's at least one line per song that's memorably bad or perplexing.

by Anonymousreply 226June 23, 2023 5:26 PM

"Until the sun comes up on the Santa Monica Boulevard" from Sheryl Crow's "All I wanna Do," which does not scan at all the way the beat of the song scans. It drives me crazy every time I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 227June 23, 2023 5:31 PM

[quote] WTF is a rock 'n' roll clown?!

In the hair band days, some of the guys did look clownish. Guns N Roses marked the end of that era.

by Anonymousreply 228June 23, 2023 5:32 PM

[quote] which does not scan at all the way the beat of the song scans

What?

by Anonymousreply 229June 23, 2023 5:32 PM

The words scans like this as they are actually spoken: "Sánta Mónica Bóulevard."

But to fit with the meter of the song, Sheryl Crow sings the words like this, which sounds stupid: "Sánta Monicá Boulevárd."

by Anonymousreply 230June 23, 2023 5:47 PM

R69, there’s an old Sanskrit adage-

One day a man decided to rid himself of the Devil. He chased him across town, over a mountain, and swam across the sea. He spent years trying his best to beat him and years later finally came up behind him, ripped off his hood

Revealing supreme joy.

The song is an ode to her Higher Power and that the Devil/evil/ untoward things that happen happen for a larger reason towards lessons, understanding, and yes, bliss.

Or a Devil in disguise.

by Anonymousreply 231June 23, 2023 6:24 PM

R69, she also says, “I pay for you with tears.”

But in Kabbalah, there are spiritual realms, or levels we each progress upwards throughout our lives. She could also be saying in the ode-

“I pay for you with tiers”.

“Heaven forbid” “Heaven for bid” I take my chance

by Anonymousreply 232June 23, 2023 6:29 PM

Lol R221. How in the FUCK was that song popular? My dad still loves it and it baffles me.

by Anonymousreply 233June 23, 2023 6:36 PM

“I ate it up and spit it out . . .”

by Anonymousreply 234June 23, 2023 7:18 PM

R228 Yeah, cause they totally didn't look like hairspray clowns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235June 23, 2023 7:24 PM

R235, yes, GnR did look clownish, but their music was a cut above Poison, Motley Crue, etc. I think their music set the bar really high, plus the tide was turning, anyway.

Sorry about all the mixed metaphors.

by Anonymousreply 236June 23, 2023 8:36 PM

Respectfully I say to Thee

by Anonymousreply 237June 23, 2023 10:05 PM

Ain't it hard keeping it so hardcore?? Doesn't ruin Shallow, but I roll my eyes about it. It appeals to Bradley Cooper's desire to be a cowboy

by Anonymousreply 238June 23, 2023 10:18 PM

I am I said

To no one there And no one heard at all not Even the chair

I mean, I get where he’s going but even 14 year old me thought it dumb.

by Anonymousreply 239June 28, 2023 10:54 PM

R100, I love the line you hate in "Cry Me a River":

[italic]Told me love was too plebeian Told me you were through with me an(d) Now you say you love me...[/italic]

When it's sung right (Julie London's is my favorite version), it's clear that the singer is quoting some snotty hipster who led her on and then told her that love was too common, too bourgeois a notion for him to stoop to. "Too plebeian" is just the kind of thing some overeducated cad would say.

by Anonymousreply 240June 29, 2023 2:00 AM

[quote]—Sorry Neil, someone had to say it.

Someone did say it. About 200 posts before yours at r30.

by Anonymousreply 241July 15, 2023 1:58 PM

r177 and r230:

Metre maids.

by Anonymousreply 242July 15, 2023 1:59 PM

"I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket"--Fergie, Big Girls Don't Cry. Horrible song but that line really killed any potential that song had.

by Anonymousreply 243July 15, 2023 2:02 PM

R98, "Black" is one of those songs that suceeds in spite of itself. Those lyrics are torturous.

by Anonymousreply 244July 15, 2023 2:06 PM

"Trojan and some of them used."

by Anonymousreply 245July 15, 2023 2:08 PM

I actually really love the lyrics to MacArthur Park, especially as sung by Donna Summer. I know it’s nonsense but I think it’s meant to be that way - the narrator of the song has just gone through heartbreak and is having a stream consciousness breakdown about the time spent with his/her ex in the titular park. Richard Harris’s version of the song cracks me up though.

by Anonymousreply 246July 15, 2023 2:21 PM

"Nor wind nor rain, will make a change" and "I see the looking in your eyes" from 'Let's Start Right Now', an otherwise beautiful Streisand song from 1999.

by Anonymousreply 247July 15, 2023 3:32 PM

Outkast "ATLiens" -

"If you like fish and grits and all that pimp shit everybody let me hear you say Oh Yayer"

by Anonymousreply 248July 15, 2023 3:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!