Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tarantino’s Final Film!

‘It is possible the story focuses on Pauline Kael, one of the most influential movie critics of all time. Kael, who died in 2001, was not just a critic but also an essayist and novelist. She was known for her pugnacious fights with editors as well as filmmakers. In the late 1970s, Kael had a very brief tenure working as a consultant for Paramount, a position she accepted at the behest of actor Warren Beatty. The timing of that Paramount job seems to coincide with the setting of the script — and the filmmaker is known to have a deep respect for Kael, making the odds of her being the subject of the film more likely.’

This is a guaranteed Oscar. I’m thinking someone like Toni Collette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 30, 2023 4:18 PM

Hmmm… I’d actually be interested in seeing this!

by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2023 11:20 PM

I have a bridge to sell you if you really believe this will end up being his final film.

by Anonymousreply 2March 14, 2023 11:21 PM

This sounds like a complete bomb.

by Anonymousreply 3March 14, 2023 11:22 PM

It sounds like a love letter to DL.

by Anonymousreply 4March 14, 2023 11:23 PM

It's impressive, he got such a big cult following and adoration for his beautifully-shot but very juvenile films. He's definitely unique though and I enjoyed some of his work even though a lot of it are just tributes to old Western, Giallo, Blaxploitation and Hong Kong films. I find most of his obsessed fans to be weird white incel straight guys who love he uses the N-word a lot and tortures his female characters. He doesn't do much for me being a gay man of color. I prefer Robert Rodriguez as he's much less pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 5March 14, 2023 11:25 PM

I have my doubts this will be his last movie, I give it 5 years before the big comeback.

by Anonymousreply 6March 14, 2023 11:27 PM

They all say this shit. "It's my last film." It's a marketing gimmick.

by Anonymousreply 7March 14, 2023 11:28 PM

Looking at photos of Kael, I'm thinking Olivia Colman. Or Ann Dowd or Margo Martindale -- one of those, I can't tell them apart.

by Anonymousreply 8March 14, 2023 11:29 PM

I assumed his last film would be his life story, but Fabelman beat him to it.

by Anonymousreply 9March 14, 2023 11:29 PM

Please, not Olivia Colman. I know Olivia will be pushing hard for the role but I'm so bored with her.

by Anonymousreply 10March 14, 2023 11:38 PM

What about Glenn Close?

by Anonymousreply 11March 15, 2023 12:29 AM

What about Angela Bassett?

by Anonymousreply 12March 15, 2023 12:29 AM

If Kael wrote a novel, it was never published.

by Anonymousreply 13March 15, 2023 12:32 AM

Roseanne as Sue Mengers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 15, 2023 1:38 AM

[quote] They all say this shit. "It's my last film." It's a marketing gimmick.

They do but it's not always a marketing gimmick. I've met many filmmakers who have vowed their last film would be their last, so hard and draining filmmaking is. And they mean it. Until their next film.

by Anonymousreply 15March 15, 2023 1:45 AM

R5 Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Django, Inglorious. Your taste sucks.

by Anonymousreply 16March 15, 2023 1:49 AM

Pauline interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 15, 2023 1:52 AM

I just can't stand him or his films. Just go already.

by Anonymousreply 18March 15, 2023 1:54 AM

It's about time a film was made about a film critic. I look forward to this as I like both Tarantino and Kael.

by Anonymousreply 19March 15, 2023 2:03 AM

Probably an unpopular opinion but imo his only watchable film that hangs together properly is 'From Dusk Til Dawn'.

by Anonymousreply 20March 15, 2023 4:31 PM

I agree!

by Anonymousreply 21March 15, 2023 4:37 PM

R16 I never said he didn't make good films though. They are entertaining but shallow. Jackie Brown is his best for sure. My issue is he writes one dimensional characters, has juvenile plots and rehashes every old Italian, Chinese, Japanese and Blaxploitation film cliche when the originals exist. Most of his films have nothing to say at all.

by Anonymousreply 22March 15, 2023 4:41 PM

It's an unpopular opinion because it seems like ostentatious contrarianism, R20.

"The best Quentin Tarantino movie is a Robert Rodriguez movie" sounds like something a third-rate critic might say for attention, not because they really believe it.

by Anonymousreply 23March 15, 2023 4:46 PM

Tarantino's insufferable fanboys showed up. Style over substance is what he's good at.

by Anonymousreply 24March 15, 2023 4:50 PM

Whomever they get to play Pauline better be able to do a roundhouse kick while wielding a machete in one hand and an AK-47 in the other.

by Anonymousreply 25March 15, 2023 4:51 PM

In bare feet🦶

by Anonymousreply 26March 15, 2023 4:54 PM

Meryl Streep as Kael fighting with studios and directors would be genius.

by Anonymousreply 27March 15, 2023 4:55 PM

It will be Uma Thurman uglified for the role like as Pamela Isley.

by Anonymousreply 28March 15, 2023 5:00 PM

R27 Meryl seems too prestige to work with someone like Tarantino. His brand is tainted by the fact that's an unapologetic perv and a lazy fanboy nerd who plagiarises too much from too recent sources.

by Anonymousreply 29March 15, 2023 5:02 PM

He owes Mira Sorvino a comeback vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 30March 15, 2023 5:06 PM

I'd prefer Anjelica Huston as Pauline Kael than Glenn Close -- and certainly not Meryl. Pauline was not fond of 'Our Lady of the Accents.'

by Anonymousreply 31March 15, 2023 5:14 PM

I would cast an old woman - close to or in her 70s. Today’s batch of late 50/early 60 year olds do not carry off the kind of aged aura that Kael and women like her did. None of them. I’m not the Lange loon, but I think it could be a good last hurrah for Jessica Lange (whom Tarantino has spoken of being a huge fan of, and offered her a role in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) so her career doesn’t end as being known for Ryan Murphy schlock. Absolutely not Meryl or Glenn. Anjelica is a good choice too.

Thought I think it’s likely going to be Jennifer Jason Leigh, considering she recently narrated the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood book on top of her starring in The Hateful Eight.

by Anonymousreply 32March 15, 2023 5:34 PM

Also Tarantino films generally do not guarantee Oscars for women, maybe a nomination at most. Shame as I think he writes better roles for them than a majority of working filmmakers.

by Anonymousreply 33March 15, 2023 5:38 PM

[quote] Cast an old woman - close to or in her 70s. Today’s batch of late 50/early 60 year olds do not carry off the kind of aged aura that Kael and women like her did.

YES Hag rights!

by Anonymousreply 34March 15, 2023 5:39 PM

But how many times can he squeeze “ni##er” in a movie about Pauline Kael????

by Anonymousreply 35March 15, 2023 5:46 PM

R22 Well we agree to disagree my friend.

by Anonymousreply 36March 15, 2023 5:48 PM

R32, I can't even think of a single elderly woman with a major role in a Tarantino movie. Jennifer Jason Leigh is probably the oldest woman to have a significant role in one of his films, and she was in her early fifties when she did The Hateful Eight.

by Anonymousreply 37March 15, 2023 5:52 PM

R37 Pam Grier was early 40s in Jackie Brown which was considered late 50s, early 60s back then.

by Anonymousreply 38March 15, 2023 5:57 PM

Jennifer Jason Leigh deserves an Oscar. She doesn't even need to do a movie. Just give her an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 39March 15, 2023 6:00 PM

I am late to tht Tarantino party, I've only seen Inglorious Basterds and OUATIH. Enjoyed them both.

by Anonymousreply 40March 15, 2023 6:05 PM

Django is one the greatest films ever made.

by Anonymousreply 41March 15, 2023 6:07 PM

So no Kill Bill 3?

by Anonymousreply 42March 15, 2023 6:22 PM

Oddly enough

I think Lens would be perfect

by Anonymousreply 43March 15, 2023 6:27 PM

[quote] Style over substance is what he's good at.

And he has more style than you could possibly be able to even spell.

by Anonymousreply 44March 15, 2023 6:35 PM

Rachel Dratch as Pauline Kael. She’ll surprise everyone and walk away with the Oscar. Sorry, that’s who I thought of when I saw the video of Pauline.

by Anonymousreply 45March 15, 2023 6:36 PM

QT has said it would be great for Streep to be in one of his films.

He hates Cate Blanchett BTW.

by Anonymousreply 46March 15, 2023 6:36 PM

I'm the poster about only seeing Inglorious Basterds and OUATIH.

What is a must see on his list? I've never even seen Pulp Fiction.

by Anonymousreply 47March 15, 2023 6:36 PM

Jennifer Coolidge as Sue Mengers.

Pauline Kael was born back in 1920 or so. She was in her 50's in 1970's. Please not Olivia Coleman for this. Please. Jesus! Kathy Bates would have been a no brainer. I can't guess as to who could play her, she had a great mind but looked like a homely spinster librarian.

by Anonymousreply 48March 15, 2023 6:43 PM

I used to like his films as a teenager but now I sort of see through them, they're a bit too clunky, contrived, and the characterisations are one-note. And the actual problem is that he plays it so safe, despite the superficial edginess of the violence, the N word, and whatever else... none of his films REALLY have any bite to them. Basterds is so dweeby and hamfisted about being a Jewish revenge fantasy, Django is a black revenge fantasy, Once Upon is a... Polanski revenge fantasy? Barf. I suppose you could say it's Sharon's revenge, but Tarantino wasn't going to have that pitbull rip Roman's nuts off, was he?

It's a shame because I do still love the sheer visual style and 'Kino' of his films, those talents could be put to better use, although those talents are really of his cinematographer and Ennio Morricone.

Once Upon was so dull and I can't stand the false intellectualism around it.

Leo can't do comedy. Shrieking and being ridiculous in a lazy southern accent isn't comedy. Brad drove around listening to the radio and opened cans of dog food and... won an Oscar. Unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 49March 15, 2023 6:44 PM

It’s such a cliche for the haters to say he is style over substance. It’s just that he has so much fkin style, unique point of view, and exceptional brand of filmmaking craft. Tarantino’s characters speak how people would speak in those situations. And he is a master storyteller. Nothing happens just cause or to move the plot along. The characters drive the story and everything happens for a meaningful effect often realized in the third act. Man is a fkin genius and a white filmmaker who expertly writes his black characters how black people really speak no matter their socioeconomic background.

by Anonymousreply 50March 15, 2023 6:45 PM

Cate's chance at a third Oscar

by Anonymousreply 51March 15, 2023 6:46 PM

Tarantino doesn't like Cate Blanchett

by Anonymousreply 52March 15, 2023 6:47 PM

R470

Kill Bill

It's an unbelievably GAY film, and I've wondered whether he was cognizant of that when he made it.

Pulp Fiction is only worth watching for the shots of Bruce Willis in his boxer shorts and getting out of the shower. ONLY that, but it makes it all worth it.

by Anonymousreply 53March 15, 2023 6:49 PM

Leo was excellent in that film.

by Anonymousreply 54March 15, 2023 6:50 PM

What I especially hate about Quentin is how mined the Sukeban genre for content and completely missed the feministic point.

by Anonymousreply 55March 15, 2023 6:51 PM

We don't know whether the film will be an actual biography of Kael or merely inspired by her time in Hollywood, R48. That definitely matters in terms of who Tarantino casts in the role.

I think it's far more likely that he'll make a story loosely based on Kael.

by Anonymousreply 56March 15, 2023 7:01 PM

Cate Blanchett and Tarantino have beef?

by Anonymousreply 57March 15, 2023 7:02 PM

R53, thanks. Will watch them tonight.

by Anonymousreply 58March 15, 2023 7:04 PM

[quote] Kill Bill

It's an unbelievably GAY film,

Say what?

by Anonymousreply 59March 15, 2023 7:06 PM

Toni Collette as Pauling Kael.

by Anonymousreply 60March 15, 2023 7:09 PM

Mary Charlotte Wilcox did a great Pauline Kael on SCTV (8:00 at link), except that she was way too tall...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 15, 2023 7:14 PM

I'll never forgive him for what he did to Bruce Lee.

by Anonymousreply 62March 15, 2023 7:16 PM

Kael could be Linda Hunt's big comeback role!

by Anonymousreply 63March 15, 2023 7:21 PM

Quentin deserves an award for the way he runs the New Beverly. Reasonable tickets, great and inexpensive concessions , killer memorabilia. Truly a movie buff that puts his money where his mouth is.

Once Upon A Time especially resonates with those that grew up in the business . We've all known a Rick or Cliff. Great performances by both Leo and Brad.

by Anonymousreply 64March 15, 2023 7:52 PM

[quote]Thought I think it’s likely going to be Jennifer Jason Leigh

Last time I saw her in something, she seemed to have something weird with her mouth, like she couldn't speak clearly anymore. Too much plastic surgery?

[quote]Basterds is so dweeby and hamfisted about being a Jewish revenge fantasy

Thank you! My thoughts exactly. It would've been better just to focus on the Waltz character I think.

I was reading that at one time he wanted to do a remake of Lucio Fulci's The Psychic (Sette note in nero). I know he used the music from that in Kill Bill at one point. I wonder what he would've made of that. I quite liked that film, saw it about 6 months ago, though it does have a HILARIOUS use of a dummy falling off a cliff at one point.

by Anonymousreply 65March 15, 2023 7:56 PM

If the film ends with Kael machine-gunning James Toback while RDJ and Molly Ringwald suck off Beatty in the next room, I am in.

by Anonymousreply 66March 15, 2023 8:18 PM

r46, why doesn’t he like Cate Blanchett?

To everyone, most film critics LOVE this guy. The Filmspotting podcast I listen to can’t get enough of Tarantino and praises EVERYTHING he does.

by Anonymousreply 67March 15, 2023 8:30 PM

I recall him saying he doesn't write roles for "Meryl Streep and Julianne Moore types."

by Anonymousreply 68March 15, 2023 8:46 PM

Whenever I meet someone who has a slavish fanboy devotion to Tarantino, I know to avoid them. It's a convenient red flag, like visible tattoos above the waist or guage earrings or danger-coloured hair or insistence on pronoun usage.

by Anonymousreply 69March 15, 2023 8:58 PM

He said no one cares about Cate Blanchett movies, which is true.

by Anonymousreply 70March 15, 2023 9:04 PM

Well, good for him. He is the star, much like Woody Allen. Take it or leave it. Doesn't matter he's not an actor/director.

by Anonymousreply 71March 15, 2023 9:07 PM

Obnoxious hack, over half the characters in all of his films are his fantasy personas. The only point of view I can find in his work is something like “being cool is really cool”.

by Anonymousreply 72March 15, 2023 9:07 PM

[quote] He said no one cares about Cate Blanchett movies, which is true.

He sounds like Armond White, who loathes Cate Blanchett and has trashed her in every film she has done.

Anjelica Huston would be the best choice as she isn't as "prestigious" as Meryl, Glenn, Jessica, and Sally and has worked with many quirky, acclaimed directors. She's from Hollywood Royalty while never acting as if she's a Grand Dame of American Cinema. (And now that she's older, she looks closer to Pauline Kael than her other peers.)

by Anonymousreply 73March 15, 2023 9:31 PM

Miranda Richardson could really use the gig. And she'd knock it out the park.

by Anonymousreply 74March 15, 2023 9:31 PM

R53, Kill Bill is a campy and over-the-top movie, but there is really nothing about it that is gay unless you’re looking for the subtext. Although some of the relationships between the characters can be interpreted as gay, like the interaction between Beatrice and O-Ren Ishii, which gives the impression that they were past lovers at some point. Budd always struck me as a gay outlaw type.

by Anonymousreply 75March 15, 2023 9:35 PM

Pauline Kael was a hoot back in the day. So many Auteur critics (i.e., Richard Brody at the New Yorker) hate that people still talk about her, good or bad, while the rest of her contemporaries have long been forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 15, 2023 9:36 PM

The only good (even brilliant) films Tarantino made are Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. The rest is absolute shyte.

by Anonymousreply 77March 15, 2023 9:43 PM

I didn't mean that the characters in Kill Bill were gay, but that it appeals almost exclusively to gay men.

I genuinely can't even imagine straight people sitting through it... they wouldn't 'get' it.

by Anonymousreply 78March 15, 2023 9:46 PM

[quote]This is a guaranteed Oscar. I’m thinking someone like Toni Collette.

Am I the only one who can't really stand Collette? I'm repulsed by her as an actress. I'm not even sure why but something about her really rubs me the wrong way. I hope it's not her because this movie sounds good.

On a related note, the film industry needs a new Kael right about now to call it out on its shit.

by Anonymousreply 79March 15, 2023 9:47 PM

Kill Bill is too camp for straight men, and too violent for straight women...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 15, 2023 9:50 PM

Funny you say this because when I think of all the people I know who love Kill Bill, we’re all gay men and lesbians. I hadn’t thought of that before!

by Anonymousreply 81March 15, 2023 9:54 PM

R32 Agreed. Kael also loved Lange, going back to King Kong.

When the interviewer mentioned Meryl and Julianne More to him, he said:

“Jessica Lange on American Horror Story is little bit more my cup of tea.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 15, 2023 9:59 PM

It'll never happen, but Patricia Clarkson would be great as Kael.

by Anonymousreply 83March 15, 2023 10:00 PM

Kael was totally biased, favoring some filmmakers and actors and hating others - without valid justification. Nevertheless, she was always entertaining to read and when she retired, I sent her a fan letter. To my astonishment, I got a letter back written by her daughter. I later learned Kael had treated her daughter like a slave. Funny old world.

by Anonymousreply 84March 15, 2023 10:01 PM

Jennifer Jason Leigh fucked up her face too much to play a real human from the past.

by Anonymousreply 85March 15, 2023 10:01 PM

R73 I wonder what Cate did to Almond White. In the latest takedown of Cate he calls her " phoniest actress since Meryl Streep"

by Anonymousreply 86March 15, 2023 10:09 PM

R79, You're Terrible, Muriel!!

by Anonymousreply 87March 15, 2023 10:12 PM

R72, we should all be lucky to be a "hack".

by Anonymousreply 88March 15, 2023 10:19 PM

[quote] I wonder what Cate did to Almond White. In the latest takedown of Cate he calls her " phoniest actress since Meryl Streep"

He has modeled himself after his mentor Pauline Kael. And similar to how Kael was no fan of Meryl Streep (the most celebrated actress in the 80s and early 90s), White has made Blanchett (the Meryl Streep of my generation) his bete noire. I remember he was particularly vicious towards her in his review of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Bitchy but funny at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 89March 15, 2023 10:25 PM

White's reviews of Cate's films are always on point. Cate Blanchette is a hammy actress always overacting. Her turn as Carol was the worst.

by Anonymousreply 90March 15, 2023 10:34 PM

I’m holding out for “Werewolf women of the SS” as teased in Grindhouse

by Anonymousreply 91March 15, 2023 10:43 PM

Orson once warned us all against homage of the kind Quentin so loves, and I for one believe him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 15, 2023 11:19 PM

R87, Muriel's Wedding was the first movie I saw her in and have disliked her ever since.

by Anonymousreply 93March 15, 2023 11:22 PM

He likes to throw curveballs with his casting. How about Julia Louis-Dreyfus?

by Anonymousreply 94March 15, 2023 11:25 PM

Michelle Yeoh. Color blind casting, even for real people! It's the Hollywood way.

by Anonymousreply 95March 15, 2023 11:26 PM

Tarantino needs to bring Judy Davis back from obscurity down under and give her the Oscar winning role of a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 96March 15, 2023 11:26 PM

This is exactly what America has been waiting for, a film about Pauline Kael.

by Anonymousreply 97March 15, 2023 11:29 PM

How about Winona as Pauline? She seems like she needs a good comeback.

by Anonymousreply 98March 15, 2023 11:32 PM

Yes, R97. Yes, it is.

by Anonymousreply 99March 15, 2023 11:32 PM

I wish he would have gone with Rex Reed instead of Pauline.

by Anonymousreply 100March 15, 2023 11:34 PM

[quote] Orson once warned us all against homage of the kind Quentin so loves, and I for one believe him.

I love Orson, but this is a case of right message, wrong messenger. His first film was steeped in homages to German silent films from Lang, Murnau, and Wiene -- not to mention the French poetic realism from Renior and Carné.

by Anonymousreply 101March 15, 2023 11:38 PM

Judy Davis is a great casting idea!!

by Anonymousreply 102March 15, 2023 11:51 PM

I like Tarantino's films, or enough to make a point to see each. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is the only of his films that I disliked; the others I was glad to have seen and found interesting, and a few are excellent in whole.

Jackie Brown is a favorite, brilliant construction, memorable, the three leads give wonderful performances, a great story of looking back on ourselves in late middle age and an adult love story. It's about perfect but for Michael Keaton who I hate in everything.

Pulp Fiction (1994) and Trainspotting (Danny Boyle,1996) were both enormously influential and enormously good. I don't much trust the opinion if anyone too quick to dismiss Tarantino. He has faults, quirks that you love or hate or tolerate, he's rather awful to look at and so much about him makes it easy to want to disagree with him even when do agree, but he's smart or at least damn clever, he makes films where dialogue and words matters, a lot, he has style, and he's made some films that will hold up as among the very best of his time.

I understand as someone noted upthread why directorsbthreaten "this is my last," but would rather see Tarantino making movies, however sporadically, that hanging about like Peter Bogdanovich, or Orson Welles, waiting for an invite to the Merv Griffin Shoe or a wine commercial.

by Anonymousreply 103March 15, 2023 11:54 PM

[quote]Am I the only one who can't really stand Collette? I'm repulsed by her as an actress. I'm not even sure why but something about her really rubs me the wrong way.

No, R79, look, I've saved you a cinema seat here beside me. I hate her, too. She works so very hard at every character and all I see is the too visible work, not the jittery, bugged out, at wit's end raw electrical wires arcing. Everything is so all out labored and overwrought about her "subtle" and "natural" performances. I can't stand to watch her; she away my teeth on edge, not for her characters but for her acting.

by Anonymousreply 104March 16, 2023 12:02 AM

R103 why do you relate Trainspotting to Tarantino? I know pop culture likes to, but I think it does Trainspotting a disservice.

by Anonymousreply 105March 16, 2023 12:04 AM

Simply the frenetic pace and use of hard jumps between many disparate scenes, the use of music, the importance of dialogue and words (and narration in Trainspotting)...

Agreed, Trainspotting is the greater accomplishment: an amazing story of so many words and scenes and changes in location and people and mood that you can't believe it all was wrapped up in 94 minutes. It's.perfect, a marvel.

by Anonymousreply 106March 16, 2023 12:34 AM

Meryl already played Kael.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107March 16, 2023 12:40 AM

Toni Collette uses that resting retard face which puts me off her. I was so glad to see her get attacked by the owl in The Staircase. I can't see her doing Pauline.

by Anonymousreply 108March 16, 2023 12:48 AM

Pauline K was a total cunt. She was the Larry Kramer of the entertainment world. Nothing ever made her smile or warmed her heart.

Why would Quentin make his final film a biography pic? He's never touched that genre before, and has no reason to start now.

by Anonymousreply 109March 16, 2023 12:49 AM

She laughs in both those clips above.

by Anonymousreply 110March 16, 2023 12:51 AM

Tarantino is an exhaustingly narcissistic aspie.

by Anonymousreply 111March 16, 2023 12:53 AM

[quote] Why would Quentin make his final film a biography pic? He's never touched that genre before, and has no reason to start now.

You obviously don't realize the enormous influence she had on him. He has repeatedly mentioned how reading her taught him as much about filmmaking as watching films. He's not the only prominent filmmaker she has influenced. She's widely considered one of the greatest film critics this country has ever produced, and for good reason -- her influence is still felt today.

I don't think it will be a biopic. I think it will be similar to OUATIH, where it will be loosely based on Hollywood in the 70s with Pauline Kael as one of the main characters.

by Anonymousreply 112March 16, 2023 12:54 AM

R112 So, alt-history fantasy bullshit?

Didn't Ryan Murphy almost kill his career with shit like that?

by Anonymousreply 113March 16, 2023 1:23 AM

As a movie lover, it’s perfect for Streep who would have a ball. I hope she can work with QTT and Scorsese.

by Anonymousreply 114March 16, 2023 1:24 AM

I liked Blanchett at the beginning of her career but she's turned into a bigger ham than Laurence Olivier.

by Anonymousreply 115March 16, 2023 1:42 AM

Why do Cate Twitter stans believe Tarantino would pick her for his movies??

by Anonymousreply 116March 16, 2023 1:42 AM

Its fascinating the bulk of Cate Blanchett 's Twitter fans know nothing about film making , all they care about is whether or not Cate looks " hot"

by Anonymousreply 117March 16, 2023 1:44 AM

Will Renata Adler and Joan Didion be the archvillains?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 16, 2023 1:48 AM

Huh , you haven’t heard of Stranger Things?

by Anonymousreply 119March 16, 2023 1:48 AM

Judy Davis would be superb if the film shows Kael as an older woman. Otherwise, Ruth Wilson if she's younger.

by Anonymousreply 120March 16, 2023 1:53 AM

[quote]Why would Quentin make his final film a biography pic? He's never touched that genre before, and has no reason to start now.

Maybe he'll do what he did with Sharon Tate and use Kael as part of a fictional film-culture story...

by Anonymousreply 121March 16, 2023 1:53 AM

R121 he'd have a hard time making Kael as big a bimbo as he made Tate and depriving her of any dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 122March 16, 2023 1:59 AM

This topic sounds boring x Avogadro's Number, and back in the day I would read Pauline Kael like she was from Mt. Sinai. I still love to read film criticism (the real deal, not on-line insta-reviews after seeing a movie once) because of her.

But no. So her character argues with her bosses. Did nobody see "Being the Ricardos"? Oh, wait. Nobody did (I did). Loser idea!

Hey! There can be scenes of her typing! BT, DT, "All the President's Men." Or sitting in a darkened theater, watching a movie! Oops. BT, DT again, a thousand times [See: "The Fabelmans," No Oscars for].

Not a Box Office hit. Maybe put the lead in a fat suit.

by Anonymousreply 123March 16, 2023 2:16 AM

The only sure way to attract the masses is having Wallace Shawn play his father.

by Anonymousreply 124March 16, 2023 2:20 AM

I hope he has Paulina Kael knifed, machine gunned and/or torched at the end in true Tarantino style. She should pay the price for all the fucked-up critics she influenced who could bankrupt a movie in one paragraph. Fuck the bitch.

by Anonymousreply 125March 16, 2023 2:36 AM

Don't forget bitten in her parts by a pit bull!

by Anonymousreply 126March 16, 2023 2:40 AM

R96 Oh, Judy Davis is an inspired choice! I don't know if she'd be on Quentin's radar though. My top three would be Lange and Huston (as I said above), and now Davis. Just keep those "handsome" WASPs DL loves so much away from this, I beg.

by Anonymousreply 127March 16, 2023 3:56 AM

It baffles me that people keep suggesting aged divas, as if Tarantino is a Ryan Murphy who collects Reagan-era stars like they’re Pokémon. He is not going to cast an elderly woman to play anyone inspired by Pauline Kael, anymore than Woody Allen would write a leading role for Tiffany Haddish.

Quentin is more likely to cast an actress who is twenty years younger than Kael in the seventies than twenty years older, so suggesting Davis or Huston is wishful thinking when we should probably expect someone like Margaret Qualley instead.

by Anonymousreply 128March 16, 2023 4:19 AM

But who will she kill in revenge?

by Anonymousreply 129March 16, 2023 4:28 AM

R128 What makes you think he'd cast a young woman as a middle aged (and elderly looking) Kael? Margot Robbie was actually the same age/slightly older than Sharon Tate when she died. Casting Jennifer Jason Leigh in 2015 in the first place showed that he doesn't just pick the hot young thing. And he himself has said he'd love to write a role for Jessica Lange specifically.

by Anonymousreply 130March 16, 2023 4:31 AM

He gave work to Pam Grier and Robert Forster long after Hollywood had forgotten them both, and they turned in some of their finest performances in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 131March 16, 2023 4:37 AM

And yet he has never, ever cast a major role for anyone older than Jennifer Jason Leigh when she was in her early fifties, R130 (and he cast Channing Tatum as her brother, suggesting a great deal of flexibility in the character’s age). Tarantino may say he’d like to cast Jessica Lange, but he has never actually written a significant role for a woman of retirement age. I’d prioritize what he actually does over what he says.

Look at the cast lists for all of his movies. In over thirty years of making movies, there just aren’t any examples at all. There are a lot of old men, but no old women unless you go as far down the OUATIH cast list to find Brenda Vaccaro.

by Anonymousreply 132March 16, 2023 4:47 AM

Omg I would love to see a movie written and directed by Woody Allen, but imagine the PR, both accused…

by Anonymousreply 133March 16, 2023 4:50 AM

R128 Ho please Woody is developing my very own ‘Keisha, Jamaica Queens’, as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 134March 16, 2023 5:03 AM

Tiffany Haddish just worked with Paul Schrader and had her best role in years, R133. Maybe she should continue working for old people who refuse to be canceled and do a Woody Allen movie.

by Anonymousreply 135March 16, 2023 5:16 AM

Some of these casting choices are completely unrealistic. Many of these women (Jessica or Angela) can’t lead a film anymore. I’m sure he wants it to make money not be a charity experiment.

by Anonymousreply 136March 16, 2023 5:32 AM

Exactly, R136. So much of this is just an excuse to gush over elderly icons who would be out of place in a Tarantino film.

Why not suggest Faye or Barbra or Mia? And I’m sure Katharine Ross and Tuesday Weld are available, too, and they’re about as realistic.

by Anonymousreply 137March 16, 2023 5:42 AM

He took the trouble to hire DL icon Brenda Vaccaro, then cut her role down to nothing...

by Anonymousreply 138March 16, 2023 6:06 AM

At the end of the film does Pauline Kael take oout an uzi and shoot up Paramount for 15 agonaizing, blood-soaked minutes in slow motion?

by Anonymousreply 139March 16, 2023 6:48 AM

Whoever gets the part, their feet better be photogenic.

by Anonymousreply 140March 16, 2023 6:52 AM

Pauline Kael was only around 60 or when she worked at Paramount in 1979 (she was born in 1919, sez Wikipedia). Which was only for 2 or 3 months. Apparently it was a "disappointment."

Also from Wikipedia: Woody Allen said of Kael, "She has everything that a great critic needs except judgment. And I don't mean that facetiously. She has great passion, terrific wit, wonderful writing style, huge knowledge of film history, but too often what she chooses to extol or fails to see is very surprising." THIS IS SO TRUE.

by Anonymousreply 141March 16, 2023 6:55 AM

Julia Roberts IS Pauline Kael. Who better to play the perennial antagonist movie critic than America's Sweetheart movie star playing against type.

by Anonymousreply 142March 16, 2023 7:14 AM

I think his last movie will be extremely bombastic

by Anonymousreply 143March 16, 2023 7:44 AM

There used to be a YouTube interview with Pauline and Woody on the same panel and he was quite praising of her. It must have been before she kicked him in the nuts over Stardust Memories.

by Anonymousreply 144March 16, 2023 8:14 AM

I'd give the role to Debra Winger.

by Anonymousreply 145March 16, 2023 8:41 AM

Who will the 3rd act history-subverting murder victim? I vote George Lucas, for ruining cinema with his space operas.

I’m more interested in who will play 1970s Warren Beatty.

by Anonymousreply 146March 16, 2023 10:07 AM

Should be someone short, Kael was supposedly five feet tall. And someone who can look remarkably common. A Lesley Manville type.

by Anonymousreply 147March 16, 2023 10:16 AM

Michelle Williams

by Anonymousreply 148March 16, 2023 10:18 AM

Jennifer Jason Leigh seemed out of place in a Tarantino film before the film actually came out and she was the best thing about it. Tarantino loves rejuvenating the career of those who have fallen by the wayside. My suspicion is he'd go for a Darryl Hannah or a Sharon Stone. Or even Annette Bening.

by Anonymousreply 149March 16, 2023 10:36 AM

I don't think Quentin will give the part to a mainstream star because he won't want to detract from the movie itself. An industry titan like Judy Davis is the perfect choice and also adheres to Quentin's indie roots.

by Anonymousreply 150March 16, 2023 12:20 PM

Please not Annette Bening, for the love of God.

by Anonymousreply 151March 16, 2023 2:10 PM

There was rumors Vaccaro’s role was offered to Lange and then trimmed down when Lange didn’t want it.

Katharine Ross and Tuesday Weld have both been essentially retired for decades now. Faye and Babs wouldn’t make sense. I think the women people are suggesting are pretty realistic - he had that muse period with Uma but most of the time he’s cast “has-been” women for meaty roles in his work - Pam Grier, Daryl Hannah (she was washed up by Kill Bill), JJL. Or younger actresses of not major fame/stature - Pulp Fiction (Rosanna Arquette and Amanda Plummer), Death Proof (the entire female cast was B/C Listers, appropriate as it was a grindhouse send up), Inglorius Basterds (Melanie Laurent). The only “it girl” name he’s ever cast was Margot Robbie. You could maybe make cases for Diane Kruger, Lucy Liu and Bridget Fonda, but with them those were star pushes that never went beyond secondary film roles.

by Anonymousreply 152March 16, 2023 2:39 PM

Ladies, it’s not going to be someone over 70. Think Rachel Weiss age range.

by Anonymousreply 153March 16, 2023 3:02 PM

I can see Annette Bening as a better match for Pauline than Judy Davis.

by Anonymousreply 154March 16, 2023 3:42 PM

[quote] There was rumors Vaccaro’s role was offered to Lange and then trimmed down when Lange didn’t want it.

I remember when they were about to announce her, but she backed out to do, of all things, The Politician for Murphy. She’s loyal that way.

by Anonymousreply 155March 16, 2023 4:53 PM

Big mistake. Huge.

by Anonymousreply 156March 16, 2023 5:17 PM

According to one of Tarantino's close friends, almost all of the reporting regarding his final film is wrong. He's not going to make a movie about Pauline Kael.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157March 16, 2023 6:04 PM

R157 He doesn’t even mention Tarantino or Kael. 😂

by Anonymousreply 158March 16, 2023 6:32 PM

He should give the role to Julianne Moore, seriously .

by Anonymousreply 159March 16, 2023 9:51 PM

R158, Infer.

by Anonymousreply 160March 16, 2023 10:07 PM

R159 and you ASK me my LIFE????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161March 16, 2023 10:17 PM

Uma is 53. He might cast her as an apology for messing up her back during Kill Bill 2.

by Anonymousreply 162March 16, 2023 10:17 PM

R160, Deduce.

by Anonymousreply 163March 16, 2023 10:17 PM

He mentions ‘who is starring in it’ as part of the rumor going around, but none of that was mentioned in the THR article.

Brian Koppelman is a DLer, confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 164March 16, 2023 10:42 PM

I'm hoping he does make at least one or more films.

by Anonymousreply 165March 16, 2023 10:50 PM

It’s obvious who the choice should be:

Madonna

by Anonymousreply 166March 16, 2023 10:59 PM

CZJ for the role of the daughter!

by Anonymousreply 167March 16, 2023 11:43 PM

What about Kate Winslet? Kael had a particular accent and Kate can do accents.

by Anonymousreply 168March 17, 2023 12:21 AM

He'll turn the Paulettes into a Fox Force Five team of BADASS critics.

by Anonymousreply 169March 17, 2023 12:46 AM

Can’t wait for this one. Sure to be gruesome and exciting.

by Anonymousreply 170March 17, 2023 1:39 AM

I love all of his films, but my first reaction to the gruesome torture scene in Reservoir Dogs still stands, that it was gratuitously violent.

by Anonymousreply 171March 17, 2023 1:43 AM

Jennifer Aniston IS Pauline Kael!

by Anonymousreply 172March 17, 2023 1:56 AM

Diane Lane?

Marisa Tomei?

Laura Linney?

by Anonymousreply 173March 17, 2023 2:00 AM

Diane Lane

by Anonymousreply 174March 17, 2023 2:07 AM

Frances McDormand

by Anonymousreply 175March 17, 2023 2:19 AM

I agree Rex Reed or Sue Mengers would be great to see portrayed. Matt Bomer for Reed and Patricia Arquette or Renee Zellweger for Mengers.

by Anonymousreply 176March 17, 2023 2:36 AM

Austin Butler IS Roger Ebert!

by Anonymousreply 177March 17, 2023 2:48 AM

Kill Bill vol 1&2 are two of my top 5 favorite films of all time!

by Anonymousreply 178March 17, 2023 2:50 AM

Do you promise this will be your last one question? Please God let it be your last one.

by Anonymousreply 179March 17, 2023 2:51 AM

This is Natasha Lyonne’s Oscar

by Anonymousreply 180March 17, 2023 3:09 AM

Y'all naming those middle-aged actresses have forgot that this is pervy Tarantino and he'll probably cast a 20/30-year-old sexy blonde actress like Margot Robbie or Florence Pugh to play Kael so that he can include the obligatory embarrassing shot of her feet for him to jerk off to.

by Anonymousreply 181March 17, 2023 3:12 AM

Why was she named after salad?

by Anonymousreply 182March 17, 2023 3:22 AM

Has there ever been a Rose joke on DL that wasn’t a total groaner? Calling them Golden Girls rejects is too kind. They wouldn’t even make it to the second draft of a Golden Palace script.

by Anonymousreply 183March 17, 2023 4:13 AM

R183 = Freida Claxton

by Anonymousreply 184March 17, 2023 4:44 AM

Yes, there have been good Rose jokes. This wasn't one.

by Anonymousreply 185March 17, 2023 7:24 AM

Quentin’s movies are so much fun to me.

Elle Driver is one of my favorite movie villains of all time.

by Anonymousreply 186March 17, 2023 7:44 AM

Tarantino always came across to me as a sleazeball, something greasy about him... :-/

by Anonymousreply 187March 17, 2023 8:06 AM

I’m surprised he found such a pretty wife. She is a singer from Israel and she fell for Quentin? I wonder what she sees in him.

by Anonymousreply 188March 17, 2023 8:41 AM

Oh, probably 300 million different things.

by Anonymousreply 189March 17, 2023 8:48 AM

R177, I think Brendan F. is the corpulence go-to guy.

by Anonymousreply 190March 17, 2023 12:00 PM

I wish he’d cast Bridget Fonda in something.

by Anonymousreply 191March 18, 2023 1:10 PM

R191 The Whale: Part 2?

by Anonymousreply 192March 18, 2023 1:12 PM

R138 I know, it’s astonishing. Didn’t even show her face. Yet gave her a big credit.

by Anonymousreply 193March 18, 2023 1:13 PM

Just watched True Romance for the first time since 1993. Hard to imagine how startling and brilliant it was back then. No movie like it before.

by Anonymousreply 194March 18, 2023 7:43 PM

He didn’t make that r194

by Anonymousreply 195March 18, 2023 9:54 PM

He wrote it r195

by Anonymousreply 196March 18, 2023 10:21 PM

I wish he gave us horror.

He can shock, he can excite, but can he scare?

by Anonymousreply 197March 18, 2023 10:32 PM

“Beautifully shot and juvenile.” R5 nailed it for me.

by Anonymousreply 198March 18, 2023 10:35 PM

I'm relieved he's not making the Star Trek movie he teased for years.

by Anonymousreply 199March 19, 2023 1:43 AM

Apparently he wants Cate Blwnchett for this role, according to a tweet

by Anonymousreply 200March 24, 2023 12:42 AM

Meryl Streep is the ONLY Pauline Kael and I'm sure she would be delighted to play her after what Pauline said about her: “Something about her puzzles me: after I’ve seen her in a movie, I can’t visualize her from the neck down. . . . Her movie heroines don’t seem to be full characters, and there are no incidental joys to be had from watching her. It could be that in her zeal to be an honest actress she allows nothing to escape her conception of a performance.”

by Anonymousreply 201March 24, 2023 7:19 AM

Ugh, R200. Blanchett would be terrible and unimaginative casting. Might as well title the film Tar 2.

by Anonymousreply 202March 24, 2023 7:27 AM

I agree this part is perfect for Streep, especially if it’s a commentary on movies.

by Anonymousreply 203March 24, 2023 4:45 PM

I saw somebody on Twitter say Jennifer Coolidge for Mengers and I was shocked how right that was when I googled her

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204March 24, 2023 5:00 PM

[quote]Tarantino’s Final Film!

If only.

by Anonymousreply 205March 24, 2023 11:33 PM

How about DL fave Jamie Lee Curtis as Kael? Seriously, if she wasn't too old, I'd suggest Helen Mirren...

by Anonymousreply 206March 24, 2023 11:44 PM

Tarantino has long said he's done after 10 films. Though if you count Grindhouse, he's already reached that number.

by Anonymousreply 207March 25, 2023 4:27 PM

Or, r202, "Tar Baby."

by Anonymousreply 208March 25, 2023 4:55 PM

R207, I think Tarantino counts Grindhouse, but considers the Kill Bill movies to be a single film.

by Anonymousreply 209March 25, 2023 4:58 PM

Margot Robbie as Pauline Kael? I can't see it.

by Anonymousreply 210March 30, 2023 8:18 AM

Laura linney as Kael. She even looks a bit like her. She might be too old to ply 40s, though.

by Anonymousreply 211March 30, 2023 9:48 AM

Lily Rabe?

Sarah Paulson?

I’d actually love to see what Paulson would do with the role.

by Anonymousreply 212March 30, 2023 9:51 AM

Quentin Tarantino said during his European book tour that his final film will not be about Pauline Kael.

The delusion can end now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 30, 2023 4:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!