Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Notorious (1946)

Starring: Ingrid Bergman, Cary Grant, and Claude Rains.

Synopsis: In order to help bring Nazis to justice, U.S. government agent T.R. Devlin (Cary Grant) recruits Alicia Huberman (Ingrid Bergman), the American daughter of a convicted German war criminal, as a spy. As they begin to fall for one another, Alicia is instructed to win the affections of Alexander Sebastian (Claude Rains), a Nazi hiding out in Brazil. When Sebastian becomes serious about his relationship with Alicia, the stakes get higher, and Devlin must watch her slip further undercover.

What does DL think of this Hitchcock classic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2023 8:14 PM

One of my fave classic movies

by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2023 5:32 PM

Stiff, boring, dated, and Bergman, that fat cunt, is cancelled around here for being an abusive mother and a whore. Also, she had a nazi background. Cancelled thru and thru

by Anonymousreply 2March 14, 2023 5:40 PM

One of Hitchcock’s very best.

by Anonymousreply 3March 14, 2023 5:46 PM

Do you need some attention, r2? Is that what you need?

by Anonymousreply 4March 14, 2023 5:50 PM

R1 and R3 are obviously....you, OP, and I'm very glad that this htread will die in less than 10 posts. Keep worshipping your fat talentfree nazi whore...alone. You do you

by Anonymousreply 5March 14, 2023 5:50 PM

R5 the middle of the Atlantic Ocean wants you

by Anonymousreply 6March 14, 2023 6:17 PM

R3 here. Am not OP or R1 (whom I seem to have had blocked).

by Anonymousreply 7March 14, 2023 6:36 PM

I watched a lot of noir a couple of years ago. Notorious was one of the very finest. It's aged wonderfully, I'd say

by Anonymousreply 8March 14, 2023 6:38 PM

Sexy, adult. A great film and thriller. Beautifully filmed.

by Anonymousreply 9March 14, 2023 8:18 PM

Moves quickly too, too quickly. Genuinely suspenseful

by Anonymousreply 10March 14, 2023 8:22 PM

Bump

Let's discuss the superior Hitchock/Bergman film!

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2023 2:42 AM

I could NOT get through this film. I love Hitchcock. Something about the setting and the plot does not appeal to me. I’ve tried watching it twice and never make it past the first half-hour.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2023 2:48 AM

Would have preferred Joan Fontaine as the lead.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2023 2:49 AM

I probably could’ve gotten through it if she had been cast instead, R13. Fontaine was the most beautiful woman of the 40s.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2023 2:55 AM

Ingrid, don't drink that coffee!

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2023 3:01 AM

Great film title, beautifully filmed in black and white. Moves quickly. Sexy and romantic. Glamorous.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2023 3:05 AM

Sublime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2023 3:31 AM

One of Hitchcock’s best. The look on Claude Rains face in the last scene, once he realizes he’s as good as dead, is priceless.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2023 4:12 AM

Dry your eyes, baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2023 4:16 AM

You're afraid you'll fall in love with me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2023 7:53 AM

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2023 8:10 AM

A good case can be made that this is Hitchcock's best film. It's not only stylish and entertaining, it has substance. Grant and Bergman and Rains were never better - and the movie has a psychological depth and a tough and dark central relationship that I think is quite daring.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2023 11:20 AM

This is the only film I can think of that showcases the darkness and anger underneath Cary Grant's debonair façade. He's very compelling playing "a fat-headed guy full of pain," as he calls himself at the end of the film. I wish he had played more dark characters, but the Hollywood of those years didn't value versatility as much as typing. And it's very likely that he didn't want to expose those parts of himself, even in a character.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2023 11:35 AM

I agree with the poster above who says the first half-hour is kind of slow. And the Code made it difficult to communicate the premise: A whore, the Nazi-hating child of a Nazi, was being asked to whore herself out to a Nazi, in order to fight Nazis. Once the premise is out of the way, the film is superb.

The cinematography is outstanding, even in the illustrious company of other Golden Age Hitchcocks. The tracking shot down the grand staircase to the key in Bergman's hand is still studied today. A skillful piece of foreshadowing as well, since a trip down the same staircase is key to the ending as well. And this film has my favorite ending of any Hitchcock film, one of my favorite endings of all time.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2023 11:40 AM

Doesn't get much better than Hitchcock, Bergman, and Grant. The leads' reunion twelve years later (seemingly unchanged and still heartbreakingly beautiful) in the silly sex comedy Indiscreet would make a great double feature. Filmed in color, it'd be a study in contrasts, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2023 1:45 PM

"The film is rich with other elegant shots, the most famous beginning with the camera on a landing high above the entrance hall of Sebastian’s mansion in Rio. It ends, after one unbroken movement, with a closeup of a key in Alicia's nervously twisting hand. The key will open the wine cellar, where Devlin (posing as a guest) will join Alicia in trying to find Sebastian’s secret. One of the bottles contains not wine but a radioactive substance used in bombs. Of course, it could contain anything--maps, codes, diamonds--because it is a MacGuffin (Hitchcock's name for that plot element that everyone is concerned about, although it hardly matters what it is)."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2023 2:02 PM

Too much alcohol. I can't relate.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2023 2:09 PM

The Joan Fontaine fan in this thread saying she was the most beautiful star of the '40s and that she would've been better as Alicia.....good God no. And I like Fontaine.

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2023 2:14 PM

I love that Cary Grant plays inscrutable ice cold in this for a change. And I love anything with Claude Rains.

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2023 2:20 PM

DL don't like Ingrid Bergman , OP , she's rather reviled around here. Don't think your thread will be very successful

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2023 2:23 PM

Y'all don't think she looks cute in the stripey blouse? For seriously now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2023 7:02 PM

This was his daughter Pat's favorite of his films.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2023 7:56 PM

It is ultimately a movie about perverse relationships.

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2023 7:58 PM

This film is often compared to Gilda with the same kind of love triangle.

by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2023 8:09 PM

One of my very favorite Hitchcock films, probably in the top 5. He certainly used black and white film to its advantage.

I'm mesmerized by the actress who played Claude Rains' mother, Madame Sebastian. Leopoldine Konstantin is a fierce name and one to be reckoned with. She was excellent, and high in the category of mothers who dominate their sons for ill intent. Miss Lansbury though takes the cake here.

I think this is one of Hitch's films that could very successfully be re-made today. Anyone care to play casting director?

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2023 8:10 PM

There's nothing like a love song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 20, 2023 8:11 PM

The mother has one of the funniest lines.

Madame Sebastian: Wouldn't it be a little too much if we both grinned at her like idiots.

by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2023 8:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!