Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Carpetbaggers," 1964's Harold Robbins' Hollywood Saga

Showbiz sagas were all the rage in the '60s & '64's "The Carpetbaggers" was one of the biggest hits. Based on Harold Robbins' scandalous bestseller, the movie version starred George Peppard as a Howard Hughes-style aviator/movie maker. Carroll Baker, Elizabeth Ashley, & Martha Hyer are the lonely ladies in his life. A sleazy soap that benefits from a veteran cast & booming Elmer Bernstein score. My look below...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2023 12:35 PM

These studio '60s sex soaps cracked me up, all tease! But like the '60s style here & that groovy Elmer Bernstein score!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 12, 2023 10:07 PM

George looked great in it...nice greased up pecs

by Anonymousreply 2March 12, 2023 10:10 PM

It's more fun to watch than I expected, though it doesn't reach the heights of camp that another Robbins-based potboiler from the same year did: Where Love Has Gone.

Baker wound up in an even worse movie the next year: Harlow. It's just bad rather than fun-bad.

by Anonymousreply 3March 12, 2023 10:25 PM

It's a decent over-the-top Hollywood epic movie—very much a progenitor of recent films like "Babylon". I remember reading an interview somewhere once with Carroll Baker, where she said she was repulsed by George Peppard while shooting it, and outright referred to him as an asshole. I guess he was awful to work with.

by Anonymousreply 4March 12, 2023 10:30 PM

George Peppard's drinking and arrogant attitude cost him jobs in Hollywood. Baker's not the only actress who disliked him. And he got himself fired from the pilot for "Dynasty," as the original Blake Carrington.

by Anonymousreply 5March 12, 2023 11:20 PM

Peppard was in a movie theater I was at, mid 80's, the Avco in Westwood. I can't remember the movie but I remember him and his female companion making a raucous so that everybody was annoyed and distracted. Somebody shushed them and they kept going as if they owned the place. Asshole indeed.

by Anonymousreply 6March 12, 2023 11:36 PM

Disappointing to hear because he was handsome hunk of waspy meat.

by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2023 9:52 AM

R6. The Avco was a great theater —parking was a bitch, but you could visit the cemetery next door!

by Anonymousreply 8March 13, 2023 12:24 PM

You can even find George Peppard being an asshole as a guest on Password!

by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2023 12:27 PM

Patricia Neal said that she and Peppard got along well during their Actors Studio days and was thrilled when she learned they would be working together on "Breakfast at Tiffany's." That excitement dissipated, however, once she realized that Peppard had become cold, conceited, and disagreeable. Audrey Hepburn also found Peppard a challenge to work with. BaT producer Richard Shepherd noted: "I must say there wasn't a human being that Audrey Hepburn didn't have a kind word for except George Peppard. She didn’t like him at all."

by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2023 12:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!