Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Miserable Cunty Gen Z NYU Student Has Miserable Time Studying Abroad in Florence, Complains Unrelentingly.

I don’t know why this bitch is an International Relations major, she obviously should be one of those people who never leaves the US. It’s to loud with her suite mates for four days a week that she can’t get her work done, but then has three days alone and is all sad girl pitiful. Girl, do your work on those days and go have fun with the other students during the week and stop being a stick up prig. Of course the “locals” are sneering and talking about her, I hope they yelled “Puta” at her in her athletic leisure wear. She went in the fall, but expected a summer fling, what the fuck, who’d want to hook up with this taciturn girl anyways. She’s fucking exhausting, and I bet the only time she isn’t complaining about NYC was when she was in Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153March 21, 2023 9:38 PM

For kicks, she could have livened up her experience by killing one of her suite mates.

by Anonymousreply 1March 10, 2023 7:30 PM

Wherever you go, you’ll take your problems with you. A lesson she would do well to learn.

by Anonymousreply 2March 10, 2023 7:34 PM

Why would I waste my beautiful mind reading such miserableness?

by Anonymousreply 3March 10, 2023 7:40 PM

This was one of the most cringeworthy articles I have ever read. I feel bad for anyone who has to interact with this person.

by Anonymousreply 4March 10, 2023 7:41 PM

Florence is absolutely gorgeous. She sounds like she was anti-social, and must have really be a piece of work to piss off the generally very friendly Italians. Maybe she got pissed off that not as many Italian men were giving her the typical attention they give to single woman walking on the street? Italy has so much to recommend. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt amazed at how bitchy and ungrateful this very privileged person was to even be living for some time in such a beautiful city and country with great food, world-class art, music and everything else that Italy is world-famous for.

by Anonymousreply 5March 10, 2023 7:45 PM

[quote]I started to protest by presenting myself to the public in a way I knew they'd hate.

She sounds lovely.

She'd be a hit in the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 6March 10, 2023 7:45 PM

What a feeble minded self righteous hag.

by Anonymousreply 7March 10, 2023 7:46 PM

Christ, I’m spiraling in my anger reading this bitch’s cunty stuff. Here’s her “satire” about how insufferable your classmates who studied abroad will be returning to college. Apparently she has a slow city living podcast and must see herself as sone weird niche influencer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 10, 2023 7:50 PM

A painful read, what a horror show that girl is. My semester abroad (London) and the travel related to it was one of the highlights of my life. I always encourage college students to take advantage of any opportunity to do a semester abroad.

by Anonymousreply 9March 10, 2023 7:50 PM

[quote]must have really be a piece of work to piss off the generally very friendly Italians.

I was coming here to say the same. To be really general here, Italians are more likely to be welcoming, and even will make the first moves. I've found Italians to be really interested in other people, once again speaking generally. She must've been a right cunt. I wouldn't think you could fail at making Italian friends in Italy.

She got this amazing chance that I would've LOVED to have and she is being a brat about it. Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 10March 10, 2023 7:53 PM

I feel sorry for her, I feel like Insider is taking advantage of someone who is possibly autistic - or at the very least has a severe personality disorder. Shit like this will follow her, and she is very young.

She's obviously an annoying. self righteous cunt, but I still feel for her a bit. If she ever grows up she'll regret these articles.

by Anonymousreply 11March 10, 2023 7:54 PM

[quote]I started to protest by presenting myself to the public in a way I knew they'd hate.

Ooh, so sassy! She SHOWED them!

I can't roll my eyes enough.

by Anonymousreply 12March 10, 2023 7:56 PM

Dumb article. Oh no, she had to spend a half dozen weekends in Florence alone? You'd think she'd be happy with all those roommates away for a minute.

by Anonymousreply 13March 10, 2023 7:57 PM

If I found the right Twitter, looks like she had to protect her tweets. I guess she's been getting quite a bit of pushback. Will all feed into her victim complex no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 14March 10, 2023 7:57 PM

They ALL sound like stupid rich cunts. When I studied abroad I didn't fly around Europe, and farther, every weekend. Even this bitch travelled multiple times. When I studied abroad I made local friends, found great sex, and enjoyed Paris to the max. Is her Italian perfect? If not, she should have taken advantage of the time to improve it and hang out with Italians. Stupid American cunt. NYU is a joke school, for most of its undergrad programs, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 15March 10, 2023 8:02 PM

Agree on NYU. It has a handful of great departments and the baseline education is probably Ok but people apply there because they want to go to college in Manhattan and money is no object.

by Anonymousreply 16March 10, 2023 8:09 PM

WTF is raising these feral creatures?

Cancel her citizenship and deport her to Cameroon.

by Anonymousreply 17March 10, 2023 8:14 PM

I don't get her complaining about being alone on the weekends. I, too, am someone who wouldn't want to travel around to see sex shows and drink until I pass out, but you can still go with these people to different places and do some things with them and then split when there are things you want to do that are different. I did that with my friends back in the day (in Paris they went to Disneyland, I spent the day exploring the Louvre, we met up at the end of the day to talk about our days). Who knows, some of the other students might've said: "Hey, actually that museum sounds interesting, I'll come with!" She didn't even give that a chance.

And if she didn't want to travel, there was so much she could've done in Florence with the right attitude. She talks about running along the river, or shopping for local ingredients and learning to cook, like that isn't something that could be enjoyable in itself. Hell, rather than cook alone, join an Italian cooking class. Someone slap some sense into this girl!

"International relations" haha! What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 18March 10, 2023 8:19 PM

Did she attend an Italian university or some play time programme run for American sparkle ponies by NYU. I bet the latter. If she had and balls and common sense she would have attended a semester at European university and studied with Local students in their language. Some fancy overpriced American universities don't encourage this because the US students realise a great European university is free or 400 bucks. Italian university students are mostly not monied jet setters, either.

She missed out on 4 months in a fabulous city where she could have learned a lot about Italy, Italians, and art history.

by Anonymousreply 19March 10, 2023 8:21 PM

tiny programme

by Anonymousreply 20March 10, 2023 8:21 PM

Florence and Tuscany are stunningly beautiful. Maybe she should return home and someone who actually likes the place could spend a year there.

by Anonymousreply 21March 10, 2023 8:26 PM

NYU should really be called out more for charging some much and being so cheap at giving financial aid, certainly in comparison to other wealthy private schools.

by Anonymousreply 22March 10, 2023 8:27 PM

"so much" not "some much", that is

by Anonymousreply 23March 10, 2023 8:29 PM

She could have a Stendhal experience at the Uffizi like me!

by Anonymousreply 24March 10, 2023 8:29 PM

At least her roommate wasn't violently murdered and blamed on her and her boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 25March 10, 2023 8:29 PM

I don't know if its still true, but for a long stretch of years NYU was the largest creator of student debt in the USA. Monstrous debt.

I think eventually the dumb ass students taking on that debt figured out it was a very bad deal.

Go to the school that gives you money, if you aren't super rich.

by Anonymousreply 26March 10, 2023 8:30 PM

Christ, it gets worse! She’s one of us, here she lists that’s she a “writer of Sapphic poetry.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 10, 2023 8:31 PM

You meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole. You meet assholes all day, *you’re* the asshole.

by Anonymousreply 28March 10, 2023 8:35 PM

Is this who the White Lotus assistant character was based off of?

by Anonymousreply 29March 10, 2023 8:38 PM

She has a book club! Called Book Queer NYC, why do I imagine that it’s just her alone at a table in the back of a Pret A Manger hoping someone shows up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 10, 2023 8:48 PM

[quote]She’s one of us, here she lists that’s she a “writer of Sapphic poetry.”

On the other hand, she may be one of the 'queer' 'or nonbinaries' or other assorted straight squatters.

by Anonymousreply 31March 10, 2023 8:55 PM

Did her year abroad make her Gay? This was a year ago and it’s about dating guys and how she gave up strolling through a green college campus to move here, seems she failed to discover Washington Square Park while wondering around NYU somehow???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 10, 2023 8:57 PM

Her writing skills are terrible. The article would be much more interesting if she took the POV of an introvert living in a foreign country. Obviously, she has social anxiety, which makes her majors in Journalism and International Affairs seem odd choices.

Can living in a beautiful European city bring an introvert out of her shell?

Had she any sense of movie culture, she could have compared herself to Katharine Hepburn in Summertime.

by Anonymousreply 33March 10, 2023 9:00 PM

She has “an extensive background in services like…mail collecting for the elderly.” Lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 10, 2023 9:03 PM

Stacia Datskovska

She’s probably Russian! Those people are miserable about everything.

by Anonymousreply 35March 10, 2023 9:04 PM

[quote]here she lists that’s she a “writer of Sapphic poetry.”

I wonder if she's just one of these women who are fascinated by the topic, so write about it, but don't actually live it. Like R31 says, she might be "queer", but not actually a lesbian.

She pisses me off, because I would've loved that opportunity when I was her age.

She also has the kind of behaviour that would be called out as "problematic" if she hadn't been in a European country, I feel. The way she speaks about Italians is pretty horrible, and as said above, she must've been a real bitch if she couldn't find even ONE nice Italian person there.

by Anonymousreply 36March 10, 2023 9:06 PM

She sounds utterly DREADFUL.

by Anonymousreply 37March 10, 2023 9:07 PM

She's clearly an odd duck ( I also thought she might be on the spectrum) but she really lost me when she complained about all the roommates with different schedules (which I can understand) then moaned about having the place to herself...in Florence? Wow what a grim fate!

I have to say however that I know a couple who have a second house in Siena (near Florence) and have spent spent 15 years there for 3-4 months at a time. They learned Italian, were not demanding and arrogant, but never were accepted by the locals. They weren't rude exactly, just uninterested in getting to know them. Their house was robbed once while they were there. They don't regret their time in Italy, just disappointed they couldn't make any friends. It seems you have to live there permanently or be a spendy tourist to get the Italian embrace.

by Anonymousreply 38March 10, 2023 9:10 PM

She should severely trim her bush, put on a mini-skirt and tube top, and rent a Vespa. Flashing her minge in the village square is bound to catch the eye of a lusty paisano.

by Anonymousreply 39March 10, 2023 9:12 PM

Ok so I’m going to Florence for the first time this summer. What are the must-sees?

by Anonymousreply 40March 10, 2023 9:15 PM

[quote] I feel sorry for her, I feel like Insider is taking advantage of someone who is possibly autistic - or at the very least has a severe personality disorder. Shit like this will follow her, and she is very young.

I was just going to post something similar R11. There's no way this doesn't haunt her

Because you really, really, really have to try not to have a good time on a semester abroad program. I don't know anyone who did one (myself included) who did not think it was the highlight of their college experience.

by Anonymousreply 41March 10, 2023 9:21 PM

The Brancacci Chapel R40, and I recommend staying in the Oltrarno where it’s located if you want more of the experience of being a local and being off the tourist trail, where you’ll spend most of your time anyways. The Boboli Gardens are there, the great Pontormo descent from the cross, the wacky natural history museum with the bizarre wax sculpture body casts, lovely restaurants, quieter churches, lots of shopping, much more laid back and relaxing atmosphere after busy days sightseeing. The book Still Life by Sarah Winman takes place there and captures much of its sense of place, even back to the 1950s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 10, 2023 9:25 PM

[quote]She’s probably Russian! Those people are miserable about everything.

She's Ukrainian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 10, 2023 9:27 PM

Sapphic poetry doesn’t mean what you think it does, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 44March 10, 2023 9:31 PM

The Insider doesn’t have comments, but Yahoo News, where it’s also been posted does, and there are now1,053 of them ravaging her. No wonder she shut off access to her Twitter and IG accounts. It’s going to be a rough weekend for this one…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 10, 2023 9:34 PM

[quote]Sapphic poetry doesn’t mean what you think it does, ladies.

Ooh, interesting! Can you explain?

by Anonymousreply 46March 10, 2023 9:35 PM

Typical and not surprising in the slightest that this girl would have that attitude made worse because she comes across as proud of it and herself for "standing up" for herself.

Exhausting. Hint: "international relations" is about interacting internationally. Of course, the people who'd be in that type of program would love to travel every chance they got.

by Anonymousreply 47March 10, 2023 9:39 PM

Same, r41 and r11. It's disappointing, knowing the article was selected by some cynical editors who used her experience and unpleasant personality as click bait and a possible trending hashtag -- not to provide information about experiences abroad since hers is clearly an outlier. And at the bottom, they solicit articles from college students about their experiences.

by Anonymousreply 48March 10, 2023 9:39 PM

What a vile piece of work. Her poor attitude toward travel to fulfill s requirement of her major (International Relations of all things) is bad enough, but she makes everything worse at every turn. She hates her roommates, hates that they don't make her the centerpiece if their lives, hates that they they go off to whorey destinations of the hen party sort, hates that they "don't share [her] values."

FFS, why be troubled about roommates for one semester? She vents her rage instead on the Italian locals, dressing aggressively "American" to provoke reaction and gets Ann eye roll (or so she thought).

She's a thoroughly contrarían and unpleasant person, seemingly determined to make everyone hate her by her own attitude and actions rather than give them time to arrive at that conclusion on their own.

by Anonymousreply 49March 10, 2023 11:10 PM

I wonder how she feels now when she clearly wrote the article thinking she'd get her comeuppance against her "vulgarian" roommates for misusing a cherished opportunity on HER terms while being an "off" and likely miserable roommate who liked to Lord over others with her "superior" "intellectual" and "cultural" aesthetic.

What a pill, but she got used by a smarmy editor or two who thought nothing of fucking with an Axis II individual.

It's as though she believed she was writing an exposé on an illegitimate industry

by Anonymousreply 50March 11, 2023 1:48 AM

Thank you R42. Of course, there are tons of lists of “must-sees” I’ve found by googling, but it’s always good to get a real person’s perspective and ideas. I’ve ordered the book you mentioned!

by Anonymousreply 51March 11, 2023 1:57 AM

She's a cunt and deserves the backlash she's getting. No pity there. It's not as if someone is threatening to kill her.

by Anonymousreply 52March 11, 2023 2:07 AM

Ugh I’m so glad I didn’t have a smart phone or social media when I studied overseas. Growing up is embarrassing & dramatic. I’m glad I was able to be foolish without fanfare.

by Anonymousreply 53March 11, 2023 2:46 AM

Why would anyone want to live anywhere other than in NYC, even if it is for temporary study? Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 54March 11, 2023 3:12 AM

Imagine your whole existence being thin and rude, and still getting to eat better food. Heck occasionally take a puff in the alley. And you’d have a fabulous wardrobe!

by Anonymousreply 55March 11, 2023 3:25 AM

She reminds me of the "sassy" male flight attendant who wrote about all the ways he despised his passengers UNDER HIS REAL NAME and seemed surprised that there was public backlash. People even wrote the airline: "Do you condone this among your employees?"

by Anonymousreply 56March 11, 2023 3:26 AM

She seems like the type who would be very popular at NYU.

by Anonymousreply 57March 11, 2023 11:31 AM

She seems like a sheltered, narcissistic brat who can't wrap her head around the fact that the world does not revolve around her wishes and desires. God forbid other people have lives and interests of their own. Also, she's a terrible fucking writer.

by Anonymousreply 58March 11, 2023 11:49 AM

[quote]But when my semester in Florence came to an end, I grew to despise the sights, hated the people, and couldn't wait to get back home to my campus in New York.

That sentence really bugged me. She should have written "I had grown to despise".

[quote]The people who shared the space with me had asynchronous schedules, meaning they'd be out and about at various times of the day and night.

Thank you for explaining what "asynchronous" means for us dummies, you self-important cunt.

[quote]About 5,000 American college students flock to Florence every semester, so why are the Florentines still angry about the way we look and act — as long as we don't infringe on their rights, safety, and comforts?

OMG, the entitlement. And the way you look and act *does* infringe on their comfort.

by Anonymousreply 59March 11, 2023 12:57 PM

for an NYC journalism student, she's sure a dreary writer. And she sure is a dreary person. I'd love for her sex-crazed, thrill-obsessed roommates to write a response.

by Anonymousreply 60March 11, 2023 1:03 PM

R10- If she were talking about the French- absolutely RUDE and OBNOXIOUS.

by Anonymousreply 61March 11, 2023 1:06 PM

Why are liberals (especially the white ones) so offended when some Americans don't care for certain foreign countries or traveling abroad?

They are always offended for other people -- be they POC or Europeans. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 62March 11, 2023 1:23 PM

Exhausting, egocentric cunt took a semester abroad to learn about HERSELF.

That is the reward received when one travels to learn about others.

She will fail in life. That's what we've learned about her.

by Anonymousreply 63March 11, 2023 1:27 PM

R62 is a racist twat who plays the "slip it in" game by pronouncing nonsense of hate.

Fuck you, dear. And lose your remaining teeth.

by Anonymousreply 64March 11, 2023 1:28 PM

R62, the peevish racist who spouts her shit and feels so good about it, because she's superior:

Miserable Cunty Gen Z NYU Student Has Miserable Time Studying Abroad in Florence, Complains Unrelentingly. Why are liberals (especially the white ones) so offended when some Americans don't care for certain foreign countries or traveling abroad? They are always offended for other people -- be they POC or Europeans.

Ten Worst Best Picture Winners R70 THE COLOR PURPLE was shut out at the Oscars because of black people. White people made it a blockbuster hit -- #4 of 1985 after BACK TO THE FUTURE, RAMBO II, and ROCKY IV -- the same reason why THE COSBY SHOW was the #1 show in America around the same time. Nevertheless, many African-Americans complained that the film was directed by a Jewish white man and was an all-white production except for Quincy Jones' music. They also resented the portrayal of black men as lascivious, incestuous fools. In the end, the film received 11 Oscar nominations because it was a huge hit and well-received by most critics/audiences (i.., white), but it went home empty-handed because the outcry from the African-American community was so great that the Academy decided not to award the film anything lest there be any more backlash. Blacks did not begin to embrace THE COLOR PURPLE until the '90s when Oprah was on top of the world and everything she suggested, particularly books and movies, became bestsellers.

Prostitute Says Her White Male Clients Are Obsessed With Black Dick [quote]As if straight white men haven't seen 10,000 huge black dicks in porn. They aren't asking such questions.

R18 Exactly. It's not like it's pre-1990s, before Internet and VHS porn became widespread. White men are not naive about what black dicks looks like. It probably was true once upon a time, but not in the past 30 years or so.

[quote]Why would these hoes make it up, [R18]?

R19 Because the media lately is about humiliating white people, particularly the men.

In the end, prostitutes are hustlers. They have as much credibility as junkies and dealers.

Frau Befriended Her Mom's Killer Out of 'Spiritual Obligation' — and then He Murdered Her She sounds like a typical white liberal woman even though she was from Arkansas.

But she was a Buddhist, not Christian, which is typically practiced by left-leaning whites.

At any rate, white liberal women have much white guilt and are rather naive when it comes to criminals, especially if they're black. Oscars Will Now Have a 'Crisis Team' After Will Smith Slap [quote]This is why you should not be giving the reins to people to run the programs to fill a perceived quota or for virtue signalling.

That's right. Last year's ceremony was lauded in the press leading up to it, because it had an all-black production team for the first time. It was being set up as a triumph and a "black first" feat or something.

What could go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 65March 11, 2023 1:41 PM

For r46. Basically, it’s poetry for the lazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 11, 2023 1:46 PM

You can sum up DL by noting that there were about three or four posters who felt bad for her-- she's young, and clearly has mental health issues, and Insider, which is reputable enough publication, should not have put its imprimatur on the article (not to mention the wide reach.)

And 60+ posters who couldn't wait to HISS at her: Entitled! Cunt! Zoomer! Lesbian! Rich!

by Anonymousreply 67March 11, 2023 2:02 PM

R67 The Lounge has spoken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 11, 2023 2:11 PM

[quote]I was disillusioned by the fact that no one in my study-abroad program seemed to have my values.

Isn't that the most 2023 you've read so far this year.

by Anonymousreply 69March 11, 2023 2:14 PM

Where on earth do you get mental health issues?

She comes across like a self-regarding over parented child who should basically stay home. In many respects, she does seem the perfect New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 70March 11, 2023 2:16 PM

R62, it's not so much they're offended by the failure to enjoy the experience, but by the need to moan about it, often even before they get home.

by Anonymousreply 71March 11, 2023 2:18 PM

Loved Florence. Was disappointed we did not have more time there.

by Anonymousreply 72March 11, 2023 2:39 PM

Florence is stunning, and no the people are not mean. She seems like one of those " Little American Princess" types who are used to being doted on like a sick child by everyone. The minute it doesn't happen, they misinterpret it as hostility. They're not being treated badly....just not as effusively as American culture tells them they deserve. Not all American women are like this or even most but it's a definite type.

by Anonymousreply 73March 11, 2023 2:50 PM

R62 Oh please . We are offended because this girl is a whiny histrionic brat. We would be trashing her just as much if she were a POC who hated Paris or a European whining about how disappointing Chicago was.

by Anonymousreply 74March 11, 2023 2:53 PM

R69 The part about her suite mates not sharing her values is weird, considering that she is a NYU student, this is a NYU program and a majority of students doing the program will also be NYU students. The only thing might be is she had such a bad reputation on campus that all the NYU students put in that they wouldn’t room with her and they put her just with the students from other schools that were piggybacking on the program because their school didn’t have a study abroad in Florence?

by Anonymousreply 75March 11, 2023 3:04 PM

This is the type of NYer who should never leave NYC. What a whiny little cunt.

I can find some joy in everyplace I visit even dismal Midwest towns.

by Anonymousreply 76March 11, 2023 3:13 PM

Of course she's a dyke.

Miserable is part of the DNA.

by Anonymousreply 77March 11, 2023 3:14 PM

A lot of those rich white girls think the world owes them something. They are conditioned to be entitled, and think they deserve the perfect career and lifestyle and relationship. So as a result they project onto others their need to control everything and dictate how they should behave, because they feel they are the center of the universe.

by Anonymousreply 78March 11, 2023 3:16 PM

Brought this to mind

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 11, 2023 3:18 PM

Hahaha r79.

Chicks want a fling overseas. They can make it happen. Don’t have to worry about ruining their reputation because they will be long gone before you know it.

by Anonymousreply 80March 11, 2023 3:22 PM

As a Gen Zer - This is a new form of bragging that is popular on tiktok. 5 years ago, an influencer goes to a fancy restaurant and gushes about how amazing it was, how exclusive the waiting list was, how expensive and interesting the ingredients on the menu were, etc, etc. It signals wealth and good taste. Well now they do the same thing but just a different way. They go to an expensive restaurant and they make a video complaining about the service, exaggerate how much they dislike the presentation, or the names of the menu items. They go on a vacation to Berlin, or in this case Florence and complain about how disappointingly boring it was. It makes people think you have very particular taste. It makes people think you are a filthy rich to the point of being spoiled. It makes someone think, "If a study abroad trip to Florence was boring, she must have such an interesting and enthralling life! " It's different and it throws people off, so the effect on the viewer is greater. Rich people do enjoy a nicer life, and they are harder to impress, and she's effectively mimicking that.

by Anonymousreply 81March 11, 2023 3:29 PM

I weep for the future.

by Anonymousreply 82March 11, 2023 4:30 PM

[QUOTE]Where on earth do you get mental health issues?

Well, she seems to have the perceptual and relational deficits that accompany "spectrum" disorders. That is she can't read the room and seemingly can't get along with peers.

She also demonstrates characteristics of DSM Axis II disorders, the personality/character disorders. Basically, people with PDs have a difficult time interacting with the world on its terms and when needs and wants from the world are perceived not to have been met, others are blamed. They lack a capacity for insight and self-awareness. They perceive themselves to have a lot of personal agency, intelligence, and capability, but are unable to take responsibility for their own behavior that leads to their dissatisfaction or misery. It's always someone else's fault or responsibility to make things better. There are different flavors and manifestations of these disorders.

by Anonymousreply 83March 11, 2023 5:01 PM

R81, that’s an interesting interpretation. But it’s not new.

In the 1990s, the New York Times used to publish articles like this. The articles were always written by women and fell into two categories.

1. I’m a sophisticated Upper West Side mother to two very active children. We took a family vacation to (insert European city) and we were disappointed. All the travel writers say we should visit the city cathedral to see the fresco painted by a blind nun. When we got there, we realized there were timed tickets and the earliest we could get in was 2 hours later. We can’t exactly entertain our children in an espresso cafe for two hours. When we got into the cathedral, there were no resources for our children. We were handed a brochure that explained the fresco and our children were very bored by it. Europe needs to become more child friendly.

2. I’m a single career girl on a trip to Machu Picchu. I was so disappointed in the experience because it was crawling with tourists. I had expected to go there and have a solitary experience and gain new wisdom about why I can’t find a boyfriend. On top of that, I lost an earring that my grandmother gave me when I graduated high school. I left a part of myself on Macchu Pichu and as I listen to my Enya music, I hope the world will do me a favor and send Prince Charming to replace the hole in my heart that was created by the lost earring.

by Anonymousreply 84March 11, 2023 5:01 PM

Don't you DARE trash NYU! My brainiac husband graduated there!

by Anonymousreply 85March 11, 2023 5:03 PM

[quote] Don't you DARE trash NYU! My brainiac husband graduated there!

So did Deb Messing. Tells you all you need to know about who NYU chooses.

by Anonymousreply 86March 11, 2023 5:05 PM

Are you a professional writer , r84? Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 87March 11, 2023 5:07 PM

Wait, this wasn't an Onion article?

by Anonymousreply 88March 11, 2023 5:12 PM

It's all about the attitude.

My first few quarters at a certain California university, I felt like I was one of the few there who wanted to make the most of the opportunities offered by the school and environment. My dorm mate and classmates would party all the time. I wondered how they were passing their classes. And they never did much besides go to a local spot to drink. Seemed a shame not to go up to San Francisco, ya know? But other than my introverted self being a little judgy of that, I didn't care. I used my free time to go to museums, enjoy good food, get hit on in the Castro, etc. Thoroughly enjoyed my time because in the end, who cares what the others do?

She's missing out.

by Anonymousreply 89March 11, 2023 5:26 PM

I hope for her own sake, and our (so that she never writes another article like this again) the State Department confiscates her passport.

by Anonymousreply 90March 11, 2023 5:31 PM

I ‘live abroad’ permanently, and over the decades I’ve witnessed a revolving door of Americans discovering themselves. There are all kinds. It’s not for everyone, and a significant number of people don’t take to it. At least she’s only in a study program and didn’t truly uproot her life. People who hate it will often stay for years hoping it will change or because they don’t want to look like a failure by going back home right away. Just go home, it’s ok. You tried it and didn’t like it, so tick it off your list. There’s no shame in that. Many people do this to either escape problems back home or to reinvent themselves, but they quickly find out all their baggage is usually still with them. Mental health issues abound in ‘living abroad’ groups. It’s the dark side of the fantasies you see in ‘Emily in Paris’ and ‘Ear, Pray, Love’.

by Anonymousreply 91March 11, 2023 5:34 PM

"Shouldn't you go to school on the East Coast? I hear the girls at NYU aren't at all particular."

by Anonymousreply 92March 11, 2023 5:38 PM

[quote] I ‘live abroad’ permanently, and over the decades I’ve witnessed a revolving door of Americans discovering themselves. There are all kinds. It’s not for everyone, and a significant number of people don’t take to it.

Yes, the jaded boomer expats who bitch and moan about everything are certainly a common type one finds in discussion forums. They move to a developing country because they're too poor to retire at home, and whine because they can't find Hellmann's mayonnaise and servicemen never show up on time.

by Anonymousreply 93March 11, 2023 5:48 PM

R93 Are they disappointed too if it’s Best Foods Mayonnaise?

by Anonymousreply 94March 11, 2023 5:50 PM

[quote] Are you a professional writer , [R84]? Bravo!

No, just someone who has read too many poorly written articles.

The thing that really made me mad about the New York Times was that they were always publishing articles like that, not only in the travel section, but in the restaurant section and it even spilled over into the cooking section. “I bonded with my children when we decided to make authentic fruit cake and searched the city for sultanas.” 🙄

by Anonymousreply 95March 11, 2023 5:54 PM

Dizzy cunt. Now she'll never get hired. Hiring managers will label her as "not a good fit" wherever she applies for jobs. after reading this article.

by Anonymousreply 96March 11, 2023 5:56 PM

[quote] Now she'll never get hired.

I guarantee she’ll have a job in Human Resources upon graduation.

by Anonymousreply 97March 11, 2023 5:58 PM

[quote] Where on earth do you get mental health issues?

From the comments section on the Yahoo article. To quote the comment:

I went to Huffpost and she takes Prozac.

"This episode was not the one that finally prompted my parents to decide that their teenage daughter needed outside intervention for depression. Many more followed and included combinations of intense crying spells, panic attacks and catatonia, all of which left me depleted. Finally, after what seemed like months of struggling, my mom and I decided to schedule a telehealth appointment with our family doctor. It was a brief session of no more than 15 minutes, after which I was prescribed a 10-mg daily dose of Prozac."

by Anonymousreply 98March 11, 2023 6:27 PM

This can and will happen to anyone, despite their age, sex, or level of education.

It’s called culture shock.

You might easily adapt in London, yet find it unbearable in any place in italy.

It happened to me.

You just have to be very realistic. Either you conform, or you get the fuck out.

No need to make a huge stink about it when only staying abroad for the summer or a semester.

by Anonymousreply 99March 11, 2023 6:51 PM

She complains about the people of Florence, but romantically mentions the United Arab Emirates TWICE (and even went there on her study abroad).

Try peddling your sapphic poetry and wearing your Nike AirMax “athleisure” there, you feckless cunt!

by Anonymousreply 100March 11, 2023 7:14 PM

Florence is probably my favorite city in the world. It’s impossible to have a bad time there. You have to try really hard.

by Anonymousreply 101March 11, 2023 7:45 PM

Ick, she has a weird little girl voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 12, 2023 9:55 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 103March 16, 2023 1:59 AM

Knoxie commented on her piece 😂😂😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 16, 2023 2:11 AM

A lot of Americans act like they are the main character in a movie. Everyone else is a supporting player or an extra. They have an existential crisis if they are not paid attention to constantly. Always complaining that nobody wants to be their friend while they make no attempt to befriend others, which would require them to remove their heads out of their asses and take an interest in other people, but that idea would never cross their minds. So when they go abroad, of course they hate it.

by Anonymousreply 105March 16, 2023 2:22 AM

I'm sure in 20 years she will still be miserable, alone, and single with only 30 cats to keep her company.

by Anonymousreply 106March 16, 2023 2:26 AM

I bet she hates Florence even MORE now that it's gotten her so much infamy.

by Anonymousreply 107March 16, 2023 2:26 AM

Gratitude just doesn’t seem to be a thing, these days, just complaining.

by Anonymousreply 108March 16, 2023 2:43 AM

I thought I read somewhere that she grew up in Kyiv. So she comes with that sunshiny eastern bloc cheeriness.

by Anonymousreply 109March 16, 2023 3:17 AM

she needs a serious CUNT PUNT

by Anonymousreply 110March 16, 2023 4:13 AM

She's Russian-American - of course she's an anti-social bore who gets pissed when everything doesn't go her way.

That's the Russian in her. I bet her flatmates couldn't stand her.

by Anonymousreply 111March 16, 2023 4:21 AM

R104 This is delicious, thanks for posting!

by Anonymousreply 112March 16, 2023 7:37 AM

What a thoroughly tiresome cunt.

by Anonymousreply 113March 16, 2023 8:11 AM

R111, you are 100% correct, sir.

Italians are not going to play any Russian bullshit or feed this lesser culture's monstrous ego.

by Anonymousreply 114March 16, 2023 8:14 AM

She sounds like she could be a DL'er.

by Anonymousreply 115March 16, 2023 8:24 AM

Young Karen

by Anonymousreply 116March 16, 2023 8:34 AM

She comes from Russian mafia money. Here is the tell:

[quote]Since most of my classmates were looking to go to sex shows in Amsterdam and getting wasted in Ibiza, I traveled alone. I went to Nice, France; Lugano, Switzerland; London; Malta; and Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

All places known for parking ill-begotten money and/or hiding from authorities.

by Anonymousreply 117March 16, 2023 8:52 AM

OMG, the essay even got its own article in the Bavarian equivalent of the NYT! Bitch is a persona non grata everywhere!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 16, 2023 10:16 AM

She can't help being a cunt. She's Ukrainian.

by Anonymousreply 119March 16, 2023 11:07 AM

Yes, Ammenda, studying abroad is awesome especially when you slaughter your roommate for no reason whatsoever. Anyway, is this student Russian, Ukrainian or Slovakian? Can't tell from her lewks and last name. And she complained about the lack of summer trysts? Italians are the most sex-starved people on Earth, I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to catch their attention... all she had to do was ask!!!

by Anonymousreply 120March 16, 2023 1:52 PM

r79 That guy in that article was HIDEOUS, I bet he lyin'

by Anonymousreply 121March 16, 2023 2:00 PM

Buzzfeed did a short interview with her. It doesn't make her sound any better. Can this be the end of her 15 minutes, please?

[quote]“It’s not what you do, it’s the mental state you do it in,” she told BuzzFeed News. “My general disillusionment with the culture and the people conditioned me to have a negative experience.”

🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 16, 2023 7:57 PM

"Your insults are only making her more powerful".

Ha, no they're not. This is just the standard, obnoxious speak that happens everytime someone insufferable gets called out. I'm surprised she didn't also call everyone "haters" and say that they were "jealous".

by Anonymousreply 123March 16, 2023 9:00 PM

People say she’s miserable cause she Russian but I think she’s miserable cause she’s American. NYU is filled with rich white straight girls with no personality who are desperate to prove they are some sort of discriminated minority. They’re all “queer” because they kissed a girl once, all look down on others who aren’t as “enlightened” as her, and most end up marrying conservatives once their 20s end. All the hate she’s getting will only delude her into thinking she’s some misunderstood victim. If there was no hate, she’d still take that as proof she’s a victim. No matter how people react to her she’ll claim victim status anyway.

by Anonymousreply 124March 17, 2023 12:14 AM

Life is full of disappointments. Relationships, jobs, etc. Part of being a mature adult is recognizing the difference between fantasy and reality. It's fine to feel like your experience did not live up to your expectations...but to bitch about it in an essay and make it seem as if it was somehow the fault of the locals for not rolling out the red carpet and catering to your every whim? Jesus. Not everyone has to like you. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 125March 17, 2023 12:23 AM

[quote]Jesus. Not everyone has to like you.

You’re telling me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 17, 2023 12:25 AM

Why do the wrong people travel...travel...

by Anonymousreply 127March 17, 2023 12:27 AM

She sounds desperately ambitious, jealous her classmates back home were "networking with zeal". She threw in a few words she thought intelligent. Clearly she wrote this to put it on her résumé.

It's all very well to have a fantasy of how things will be, but you either make it happen yourself or get over it. Don't bitch that the locals didn't meet your expectations, your (complete stranger) flatmates wanted different things and no Italian stud wanted to wine, done and 69 you.

This might backfire and cost her, if I read this as an employer I wouldn't have a good impression of this immature brat. I bet those flatmates hated her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128March 17, 2023 12:31 AM

"Having a negative experience has “shaped who I am as a person tremendously” and “illuminated values,” she said.

Those values are the same ones she’s learning from the experience of going viral in a bad way.

“I will never be afraid to be a contrarian,” she said. “I’ve learned from the Florence shenanigans that it’s OK to contradict what people are comfortable accepting as the norm.”

She is studying journalism so wrote this to try to get ahead, yet she's not a very good writer.

by Anonymousreply 129March 17, 2023 12:40 AM

R124 almost every person I've known who did study abroad loved it. The only difference between them and her is she's Russian American and they were American through and through (not the children of immigrants).

by Anonymousreply 130March 17, 2023 12:42 AM

NYT will probably give this crybaby her own column.

by Anonymousreply 131March 17, 2023 2:14 AM

I think she’s tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 132March 17, 2023 8:49 AM

She's bitter she couldn't get laid

by Anonymousreply 133March 17, 2023 9:40 AM

World's smallest violin plays for her.

by Anonymousreply 134March 17, 2023 10:23 AM

She probably didn't even have such an awful time, she's using an angle to get attention for her badly written work. Her blind ambition reminds me of Tracy Flick

by Anonymousreply 135March 17, 2023 11:58 AM

R135 What an amazing connection! I can’t think where you got that ideas from???

by Anonymousreply 136March 17, 2023 12:00 PM

R136 When I posted that dorm scene at R128 her annoyance at her flatmates disturbing her study and "zeal to network" made Tracy spring to mind. You yankin' my chain?!

by Anonymousreply 137March 17, 2023 12:03 PM

I've been to Florence alone and made the most of it. People weren't especially friendly or rude, as I expected as a single man alone. What was disappointing is I got very few flirtations in their little shack of a gay bar (where everyone smoked indoors)

by Anonymousreply 138March 17, 2023 12:12 PM

R138 me too in 2013. Why did she expect inhabitants of a city that receives millions of tourists a year to be oohing and aahing over her? She’s just another tourist really.

by Anonymousreply 139March 17, 2023 1:00 PM

R139 sadly she probably could have had at least some of those experiences she wanted if she'd made more of an effort with her roommates, joined local groups or actually spoke to people.

She claims a few people possibly made some snarky comments about her or were hostile so she retaliates by acting in a way she knew would alienate herself?

Imagine any of us being so thinned-skinned with all the shit people have hurled at gays/lesbians in public, we'd never have left the fucking house!

by Anonymousreply 140March 17, 2023 1:17 PM

R120 It was very clever of her to leave none of her own dna anywhere but make sure someone else’s was everywhere. Criminal genius.

by Anonymousreply 141March 17, 2023 9:07 PM

I'd like the ill-bred, slutty, druggy, shallow roommates to chime in.

by Anonymousreply 142March 17, 2023 9:43 PM

If they'd killed Monica off in a tear-jerking two-parter giving birth to Chandler's baby she would have got that bad boy.

by Anonymousreply 143March 17, 2023 11:12 PM

"I started to protest by presenting myself to the public in a way I knew they'd hate. I started wearing American-brand athleisure, Nike Air Max 97s, and oversize hoodies. The Italians rolled their eyes as I passed them on the street."

So, she went out especially to buy those clothes, or....she was wearing those clothes all along?

by Anonymousreply 144March 18, 2023 2:58 PM

"I started to protest by presenting myself to the public in a way I knew they'd hate.”

Why would she do that? Obviously, a see you next Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 145March 18, 2023 6:10 PM

You know, off to the side of Piazza della Signoria is a plaque where they hung and burned Savonarola, perhaps we could send her back and they could enact some swift Florentine justice?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 18, 2023 6:13 PM

Tbf during my degree I was a miserable recluse who didn't participate, because I was deeply depressed/autistic and not getting help. I didn't go abroad and make it the problem of a host country, though, that's fucking rude behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 147March 21, 2023 2:01 AM

[quote]"I started to protest by presenting myself to the public in a way I knew they'd hate. I started wearing American-brand athleisure, Nike Air Max 97s, and oversize hoodies. The Italians rolled their eyes as I passed them on the street."

This never happened.

The world passes through Florence. The Florentines have seen every kind of tourist and would not even blink at seeing someone in "Nike Air Max 97s, and oversize hoodies".

Most likely her problem was that no one was giving her attention.

by Anonymousreply 148March 21, 2023 2:10 AM

I'm a princess..Mommy and Daddy and America told me so. I should be treated like a princess everywhere I go by everyone. At home everyone giggles and pats my head because I'm an adorkable little girl. Why aren't Florentines giving me the love I deserve?

by Anonymousreply 149March 21, 2023 3:16 AM

I think Julia Garner should play her in the Hallmark movie of the week and use the same accent as she did in that series about the German/Russian art swindler girl.

by Anonymousreply 150March 21, 2023 3:40 AM

If the Italians were rolling their eyes as she walked by it's probably because she radiates cuntiness and self-importance, and had nothing to do with what she was wearing.

by Anonymousreply 151March 21, 2023 12:18 PM

I’m British and when I studied abroad for a year all the American students had an organiser/chaperone type person who they used to go to for everything, like they thought going to France was like Iran and they wouldn’t be able to cope without someone holding their hand. It was weird.

by Anonymousreply 152March 21, 2023 1:07 PM

R149 has it spot on, I think.

by Anonymousreply 153March 21, 2023 9:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!