Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

True Lies: the new TV show based on the 90s Schwarzenegger movie

This thing is a real POS. The casting is bad and the acting is even worse. The new wife is fugly, has vocal fry, and horrible eye makeup. Alleged peg-ee Steve Howey doesn’t even take his shirt off. The Tom Arnold type sidekick “Gib“ is one of the worst characters ever seen on TV. The only redeeming factor is an underused Beverly D'Angelo as the intelligence agency director.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2023 4:16 AM

Shot on a Hallmark channel budget, trying to pass New Orleans for Paris, I don’t think so.

by Anonymousreply 1March 10, 2023 3:49 AM

The movie was a POS too, but at least it was fun.

by Anonymousreply 2March 10, 2023 3:51 AM

RT: Bland as gruel, True Lies might borrow the name of a cinematic blockbuster but retains none of the personality that would differentiate it from the crowded field of espionage romances.

by Anonymousreply 3March 10, 2023 3:54 AM

Another review: skips over some of the best parts of the True Lies story. The creative decision to make Helen a spy right away deprives the viewer of the fun of Helen figuring it out and Harry desperately trying to cover up his missions.

by Anonymousreply 4March 10, 2023 3:55 AM

the violence is completely sanitized and it’s asexual

by Anonymousreply 5March 10, 2023 3:55 AM

The wife might be one of the worst actresses I’ve ever seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 10, 2023 3:58 AM

Gonzaga was in a relationship with actor Jim Carrey from 2018 to 2019. Gonzaga is bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 7March 10, 2023 3:59 AM

I like Beverly D'Angelo but Heston was cast representing the original white Nick Fury as the only man who could intimidate Arnold. I can't see Tasker being afraid of Bev.

by Anonymousreply 8March 10, 2023 3:59 AM

R8 Bev would be more believable as the wife to Howey than this former improv actress, who is horrible and screechy. This is a show to hate watch.

by Anonymousreply 9March 10, 2023 4:02 AM

Matthew Lillard deserves better.

by Anonymousreply 10March 10, 2023 4:24 AM

[quote]True Lies: the new TV show based on the 90s Schwarzenegger movie

Does [bold]no-one[/bold] on planet Earth have any new and original ideas anymore?

How soon will it be before they remake Star Wars, Alien, Titanic and Back to the Future?

We all know they want to.

by Anonymousreply 11March 10, 2023 4:24 AM

Star Wars and Alien got modern sequels already, so they're not remaking those. It's weird Back to the Future hasn't been remade yet. I think they might be waiting for Fox and Lloyd to drop dead first, out of respect. Titanic won't be remade as long as Cameron is alive, unless he does it himself.

We're getting a Lord of the Rings cinematic universe soon, though. So that's gonna suck.

by Anonymousreply 12March 10, 2023 4:42 AM

I thought the wife’s makeup was terrible. It aged her. It didn’t help that, yeah, her acting SUCKED!

by Anonymousreply 13March 10, 2023 5:14 AM

R12, True Lies itself is a remake of the 1991 French movie "La Totale".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 10, 2023 5:22 AM

No one can top Jamie Lee Curtis' performance in the original film.

by Anonymousreply 15March 10, 2023 6:01 AM

[quote] Alleged peg-ee Steve Howey

Do tell us more OP!

by Anonymousreply 16March 10, 2023 6:49 AM

Gonzaga is Asian but she played roles like Juanita? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 17March 10, 2023 7:07 AM

Why couldn't they just do a reboot of Dark Angel instead?

by Anonymousreply 18March 10, 2023 10:23 AM

Things do not appear as complicated for True Lies. The series reboot of the hit movie has not been able to find an audience, ranking as CBS’ lowest-rated scripted series of the season four weeks in. At this point, the series is not likely to return but remains on the bubble.

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2023 1:51 PM

I was staying at the Royal Omni New Orleans when they were filming this. Was standing in for Paris.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2023 3:51 PM

It's not that bad although it's not that good either.

It's just lacking something. The underlying premise wears thin after the first episode. It just doesn't have the excitement or interest that something like Burn Notice had. Any individual episode of Burn Notice was a lot better than this show.

by Anonymousreply 21April 17, 2023 8:29 PM

AS made terrible movies that didn't age well.

Here is another one, rubbish

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 17, 2023 9:03 PM

[quote]Alleged peg-ee Steve Howey doesn’t even take his shirt off.

It is a bit strange they don't lean into him being shirtless a bit more often because he definitely looks like he's worked out for the role.

You have to admit that Howey is looking handsome these days. A bit of age looks good on him and, although fully clothed all the time, the styling for the character is on point.

by Anonymousreply 23April 17, 2023 10:29 PM

Doesn’t he like to get nude and show dick?

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2023 7:41 AM

[quote]Doesn’t he like to get nude and show dick?

Well, I don't know if he likes to do it, but he definitely has done it numerous times for shows.

by Anonymousreply 25April 18, 2023 6:31 PM

It’s totally flat with non-descript characters.

by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2023 7:02 PM

The show really feels like it was put together solely by network calculations. Extremely watered down concept. And some suit must have had the hots for the lead actress and insisted to give her this part.

by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2023 7:35 PM

It's a pity that Arnold and Jamie Lee never did a movie sequel.

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2023 3:07 AM

R22 I love EOD. Arnold pulls a gun on Satan. It’s review-proof. Pure fun.

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2023 4:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!