Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cole Sprouse Talks About Being Forced Into Child Acting Because His Parents Were Broke

Back in 2005, Cole and Dylan Sprouse got their big break on Disney Channel’s The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.

The twins were just 12 years old when the hit original series first aired, and after three successful seasons totaling 87 episodes, they went on to star in its sequel, The Suite On Deck.

But prior to their time on Disney, Dylan and Cole actually took on other acting gigs — most of which being joint roles due to how identical they are. The pair famously appeared in That 70s Show, Friends, and the 1999 film Big Daddy.

In fact, Cole has previously revealed that he and Dylan were “put into acting” from as little as 8 months old by their mom, Melanie Wright Sprouse, due to their family’s financial instability. Melanie and their dad, Matthew Sprouse, split when the twins were less than a year old.

“My brother and I were put into acting when we were 8 months old by our mother because we needed money,” Cole said in a now-deleted audio clip shared to Tumblr a few years ago, per Insider. “I never made the decision to join the arts or acting specifically. And so it was never really my passion.”

Now 30, Cole has opened up even further about his child stardom during an appearance on the Call Her Daddy podcast this Wednesday.

Revealing that his mom was very financially “irresponsible” due to issues with mental health and addiction, Cole shared that she actually spent all of the earnings he and Dylan had made from their roles prior to Suite Life. She eventually lost custody of the twins when they were 10 years old.

“Both my brother and I went through a lengthy court battle at about 10, and custody was stripped from my mother and given to my father,” he said, adding that his dad wanted them to be “normal kids.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever talked about this… When my father was given forced custody, we had pretty much lost everything from the youngest parts of our career. That would be Friends and Big Daddy,” he said. “My mother was an incredibly wonderful and artistic woman, but she was financially the most irresponsible woman ever.”

“I think it was the consequence of some alchemy of addiction and mental instability, and it's probably the greatest wound in my life,” he added.

And so, Cole revealed that his father ended up viewing their acting career as a valuable and necessary financial opportunity, particularly in the wake of the custody battle.

“By the time my brother and I got to the Disney Channel, we were good. It was a huge boon to us,” Cole said. “It was in many ways, a life-saving show. It provided us with an amount of stability and consistency, and routine, that really was needed for my brother and I at the time.”

“I think there’s two types of kids within the child acting business,” he went on. “There’s, like the ‘thespian children’ who choose to do it, and then there’s the working class kids that, in our case at least… I mean it started, really, as a means to put bread on the table.”

When asked if he resents his parents for pushing him into child acting, Cole noted that while he “definitely” has some feelings to work through, he doesn’t “regret” his childhood.

“My parents did not come from too much, and I have now been granted a life of primarily financial stability — and surplus in very many cases — that is the byproduct of working for 30 years and trading my childhood,” he began.

“But I don’t regret it at all,” he said. “I know that there’s definitely resentment, there’s definitely some things I have to work through, but no. If I were given the same choice again, I’d probably do it again.”

Cole went on to address the difference between his and Dylan’s experience as young stars in comparison to those of other actors who have spoken out against their child stardom over the years.

After Cole heavily praised the Disney Channel for providing him and Dylan with financial stability, podcast host Alex Cooper mentioned the fact that other former Disney actors have recounted very difficult experiences there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 8, 2023 9:22 PM

In response, Cole said: “That’s interesting, because a lot of those kids came from privilege. I find that a lot of the [time] it’s much easier to complain about the business approach of a larger studio when you don’t need the money as much.”

“It’s really intriguing,” he continued. “Like, when you approach this career as a sort of passion, and you’re starting to learn the language of these major studios — and the language is always money — you start to become discontented.”

“But if you start from a working kid background… You’re not as surprised or discontented when your boss or the studio chooses a money-based approach to your career,” he added.

However, Cole made it clear that he was not “delegitimizing” any of his fellow former Disney stars’ experiences.

“I’m not delegitimizing anything they say. It is no doubt it is already incredibly conflicting to be a child hoisted up to the criticism of an entire nation, and also working 9 to 5,” Cole clarified, while also mentioning the sexualization of the girls in comparison to the boys by members of the public.

“I think in very many ways, my brother and I were lucky mainly because we were young boys,” he said. “Like, the fascination when we were younger, at least on the Disney Channel, was of Miley and Selena and a lot of these girls, because they were heavily sexualized, which is another huge fucking issue.”

“My brother and I in very many ways went through all of the same trappings, except the lens wasn’t on us as tightly, which I’m very, very grateful for,” he added.

by Anonymousreply 1March 10, 2023 1:54 AM

Great interview.

I like that Cole is a deep thinker, and he's able to express himself in a very clear way.

by Anonymousreply 2March 10, 2023 1:55 AM

Surprising that he hasn't yet said something incendiary about working as a young kid with Marilyn Manson. I'm anticipating it.

by Anonymousreply 3March 10, 2023 1:58 AM

I’m confused. Why is he still acting and didn’t pursue his passion? Cause it’s what it looks like on screen too.

by Anonymousreply 4March 10, 2023 2:01 AM

What’s the Sprouse brothers’ skin color?

by Anonymousreply 5March 10, 2023 2:15 AM

[quote] Why is he still acting and didn’t pursue his passion?

I was wondering the same thing.

He sounds like he's complaining about it and didn't get to pursue his true goals, but he's still acting on Riverdale.

Maybe in a sense, he's trying to say that's why he's still acting. Just for the money.

On the other hand, his twin brother Dylan has a degree in video game design and also owns a meadery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 10, 2023 2:17 AM

Cole Sprouse and Tom Sandoval look like the same person

by Anonymousreply 7March 10, 2023 2:21 AM

R6 Dylan is the more interesting, fun, personable and naturally sexy twin.

Cole’s book-smart, hipster and moody, and that’s....fine I guess. Idk why he doesn’t take his hard-earned money and time to become an author or a scriptwriter or a scholar, since he seems to have pretensions to such.

by Anonymousreply 8March 10, 2023 2:26 AM

It’s a meadery not a brewery.

by Anonymousreply 9March 10, 2023 2:27 AM

[quote] Cole said in a now-deleted audio clip shared to Tumblr a few years ago, per Insider.

Huh?! They’re making an article based on a deleted Tumblr video NOW from YEARS AGO?

Elon needs to buy Buzzfeed and clean house there too.

by Anonymousreply 10March 10, 2023 2:30 AM

Article by: Leyla Mohammed (BuzzFeed News Staff)

That explains it.

by Anonymousreply 11March 10, 2023 2:31 AM

Afaik this was also the trajectory for Nickelodeon’s poster boy Jace Norman.

He’s from a poor mixed-race New Mexican trailer-park type of family, and his work from age 13-19 on the hit Gen Z teencom ‘Henry Danger’ as well as a handful of TV movies kept the lights on.

Now in his early-mid 20s, he doesn’t act or work much, outside of a little modelling or producing. He had a major breakdown at around age 21, and has been recovering since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 10, 2023 2:33 AM

Cole seems pretentious and insecure. A pseudo intellectual

by Anonymousreply 13March 10, 2023 2:39 AM

This reminds, I need to stream that reportedly shiteous and musicless Ch!nese film adaptation of Turandot with Dylan as Calaf.

It was shot long before C0VID, c.2017/18 iirc, but it wasn’t released to general global audiences until a couple of years back. So Dylan looks quite a lot younger in the movie that he currently is and appears in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 10, 2023 2:47 AM

R13 because he’s well spoken?

by Anonymousreply 15March 10, 2023 2:47 AM

[quote] Afaik this was also the trajectory for Nickelodeon’s poster boy Jace Norman...He’s from a poor mixed-race

Are Jace and the Sprouse twins mixed race? What's Jace's racial mixture?

by Anonymousreply 16March 10, 2023 2:54 AM

He seems quite smart and well adjusted - good for him!

by Anonymousreply 17March 10, 2023 3:05 AM

"Elon needs to buy Buzzfeed and clean house there too."

So he can ruin it like he did with twitter?

by Anonymousreply 18March 10, 2023 3:08 AM

[quote] “I think there’s two types of kids within the child acting business,” he went on. “There’s, like the ‘thespian children’ who choose to do it, and then there’s the working class kids that, in our case at least… I mean it started, really, as a means to put bread on the table.”

[quote] After Cole heavily praised the Disney Channel for providing him and Dylan with financial stability, podcast host Alex Cooper mentioned the fact that other former Disney actors have recounted very difficult experiences there.

[quote] In response, Cole said: “That’s interesting, because a lot of those kids came from privilege. I find that a lot of the [time] it’s much easier to complain about the business approach of a larger studio when you don’t need the money as much.”

[quote] “It’s really intriguing,” he continued. “Like, when you approach this career as a sort of passion, and you’re starting to learn the language of these major studios — and the language is always money — you start to become discontented.”

[quote] “But if you start from a working kid background… You’re not as surprised or discontented when your boss or the studio chooses a money-based approach to your career,” he added.

I find this part of the interview fascinating.

I would love to hear about his take on this issue, from an entire panel of child actors who came from both rich and poor backgrounds.

If Cole wants to write a book, it should be a study on this topic.

by Anonymousreply 19March 10, 2023 3:13 AM

[quote] This reminds, I need to stream that reportedly shiteous and musicless Ch!nese film adaptation of Turandot with Dylan as Calaf.

I watch the trailer you linked, and it reminds me of an even cheaper and cheesier version of the hideous The Great Wall with Matt Damon where they hired an American actor to star in a Chinese production.

by Anonymousreply 20March 10, 2023 3:14 AM

I like him. Very thoughtful. He's got a good therapist.

by Anonymousreply 21March 10, 2023 3:32 AM

Most people who "have a passion" for acting and go into it with that mindset also tend to be cluster Bs (narcissistic, borderline, histrionic). So that, in turn, contributes to the antics that are seen with a lot of them.

Those who tend to turn to it for financial reasons and view it as any other job are more likely to be like the rest of the working world, which is why they seem more well-adjusted.

I think Cole might fall into the latter group.

by Anonymousreply 22March 10, 2023 4:37 AM

He and Tom Sandoval (Vanderpump Rules/Scandoval) look alike.

by Anonymousreply 23March 10, 2023 11:38 AM

Dylan Sprouse is all grown up...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 10, 2023 11:53 AM

Bitter, party of one!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 10, 2023 11:54 AM

Please. The real money was in pimping those 12 years boys around Hollywood's pedo elite.

by Anonymousreply 26March 10, 2023 12:11 PM

R25 That post breaks my heart. He's so sad.

by Anonymousreply 27March 10, 2023 12:16 PM

You can tell by OP’s picture that he’s been through some shit

by Anonymousreply 28March 10, 2023 12:33 PM

It sounds like acting is the only thing he's known since he was a kid.

It's hard to change careers and it's only going to get harder for him as he gets older. If he wants to do it he should think about doing it now.

Or I suppose he could wait 10 to 20 years when he's aging and Hollywood can't find a niche for him to occupy.

by Anonymousreply 29March 10, 2023 12:53 PM

I wonder how they kept their money from The Suite Life?

It sounds like both mom and dad were using the twins as a personal ATM machine.

But it also sounds like Dylan and Cole are living very comfortably off of their Disney money.

Someone must have been looking out for them, financially.

by Anonymousreply 30March 10, 2023 12:58 PM

R16 the Sprouse twins are known to have some German ancestry (I mean, look at them) and were born in Tuscany, but were raised in Long Beach as Americans. Afaik they have no POC in their family, unless they’re keeping a grandparent or great grandparent quiet like the Jonai.

Jace Norman is more of an enigma ethnically. From the few available pictures online we have of his family, we can see that his mother & older brother look dark in a way that suggests strong Hispanic and/or Native blood. His father & sister look white as white can be, though.

by Anonymousreply 31March 10, 2023 1:10 PM

R30 the Sprouse parents could have been like Hilary & Haylie Duff's momager, controlling but frugal and savvy with finances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 10, 2023 8:16 PM

It's remarkable any kid star ever comes out of the D!sney or Nick buildings unscathed. For every semi-normal one like Hilary or Raven or the Sprouses, there's two or three insane traumatised ones like Shia or Orlando Brown or Amanda Bynes & Drake Bell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 10, 2023 8:31 PM

People put cold sprouts in salads but they just taste like dirt to me.

by Anonymousreply 34March 10, 2023 9:33 PM

Rose, you idiot, Cole Sprouse was a famous Broadway lyricist.

by Anonymousreply 35March 10, 2023 10:23 PM

Geez, his twin brother looks so much better and more mature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 10, 2023 10:33 PM

What a pig.

Oink oink, Cole. Oink oink.

by Anonymousreply 37March 10, 2023 10:44 PM

Damn, R36.

Dylan looks smoking hot at your link!!

by Anonymousreply 38March 11, 2023 12:55 AM

Cole being dragged for having a lighter and cigarette during his interview at op's link.

The anti-smoking Twitter nazis are coming for him!

Fucking assholes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 11, 2023 12:56 AM

Dylan always was the more strapping, charismatic and healthy-looking twin, he just had a layer of chub over it for a long while.

Cole always looks at least a little ill, for whatever reason. But he definitely seems the more articulate and clever and insightful one.

INTERVIEWER: "So, are you [Dylan] the approachable attainable twin?"

DYLAN: (laughing) "Yeah; I give people hope."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 11, 2023 1:10 AM

Cole’s eyes look vacant in r39

by Anonymousreply 41March 11, 2023 1:32 AM

R24/r25 are some of the most disturbing pair of posts I've seen on DL. The kind of thing that's allowed to be posted here, oof...

by Anonymousreply 42March 11, 2023 2:14 AM

Are they just now finding out that Cole smokes r39 or are they just looking for something to be outraged about?

by Anonymousreply 43March 11, 2023 2:47 AM

R13 because he is. They're both trash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 11, 2023 8:35 AM

R44 they were both horrible bullies to Debby Ryan, who in her turn allegedly meangirled Skai Jackson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 11, 2023 10:55 AM

[quote]Cole Sprouse Talks About Being Forced Into Child Acting Because His Parents Were Broke

The poor mistreated darling.

by Anonymousreply 46March 11, 2023 10:57 AM

What a lovely young man. Never watched the Disney films but i liked him a lot in Riverdale. I also like that he never smiles in his photographs.

by Anonymousreply 47March 11, 2023 11:11 AM

R47 the finale movie the twins did for their tweencom was really weird and dark, about mass mind control experiments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 11, 2023 11:14 AM

'Forced'...but he kept voluntarily and constantly auditioning after age 18-21?

Plenty of kid actors on popular sitcoms take their scant residuals, go to College or go rogue and are never seen again onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 49March 11, 2023 1:29 PM

R10/R11

[quote]Huh?! They’re making an article based on a deleted Tumblr video NOW from YEARS AGO? Elon needs to buy Buzzfeed and clean house there too.

Oh, dear. I hope you’re trolling. If not… you poor, stupid, illiterate fuck.

Mentioning the old Tumblr audio clip was just to provide some background to

[quote]Now 30, Cole has opened up even further about his child stardom during an appearance on the Call Her Daddy podcast this Wednesday.

Please kys ♥️

by Anonymousreply 50March 11, 2023 1:53 PM

Dylan is a neopagan (Asatru branch). So he's automatically the best twin in my eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 11, 2023 2:30 PM

[quote]Cole has opened up even further

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 52March 11, 2023 2:46 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 12, 2023 9:27 AM

Nothing about their time with Brett Butler and "Grace Under Fire"?

by Anonymousreply 54March 12, 2023 10:39 AM

He seems odd

by Anonymousreply 55March 12, 2023 10:40 AM

R55

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 12, 2023 10:56 AM

Dylan is good at charming women. I wonder if Cole has the same game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 15, 2023 1:20 AM

R57 ask Lili Reinhart.

by Anonymousreply 58March 15, 2023 3:05 AM

Wow, he got phat!

by Anonymousreply 59March 17, 2023 6:18 PM

Is Cole the cute one?

by Anonymousreply 60March 17, 2023 6:21 PM

No, r60!

by Anonymousreply 61March 17, 2023 6:23 PM

He got PHAT!

by Anonymousreply 62March 18, 2023 12:16 PM

Phat?

by Anonymousreply 63March 18, 2023 11:28 PM

He had a nice glow up from around 2016-2019 but looks like the pandemic was rough on him. Now he looks like a fat ashtray.

by Anonymousreply 64March 18, 2023 11:31 PM

Fat, r63.

by Anonymousreply 65March 18, 2023 11:43 PM

In skinnier days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 18, 2023 11:46 PM

In skinnier days 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 18, 2023 11:47 PM

Cole seems like a tool.

by Anonymousreply 68March 18, 2023 11:52 PM

Did either get their NYU degrees?

by Anonymousreply 69March 18, 2023 11:56 PM

Cole got his degree in archaeology, Dylan in game design or something to do with video games.

by Anonymousreply 70March 18, 2023 11:58 PM

Close up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 19, 2023 12:03 AM

The twins have always been yoyo-ing weight. Dylan was the chubby one on The Suite Life series. Now Cole is the chubby one. The older they got the easier it was to tell them apart.

by Anonymousreply 72March 19, 2023 12:06 AM

Dylan is now engaged.

[quote] Dylan Sprouse & Barbara Palvin Get Engaged After 5 Years (Report)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 22, 2023 4:23 AM

[quote] Dylan is now engaged.

Why would an atheist get married?

Marriages are a religious thing, so why would he care about getting married?

And for that matter, why even bother with monogamy?

by Anonymousreply 74March 22, 2023 5:14 AM

r44 Dylan seems the nicer of the two according to everyone else. Also apparently they were home-schooled from about middle school onwards so I really want to know who Dylan was bullying in this situation. If he was shoving Coles head down the toilet more power to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 22, 2023 5:55 AM

Thought there were laws that prevented parents or guardians from blowing through child actor's wages.

At least seem to remember something along those lines from whole sad saga that was Gary Coleman suing his parents.

by Anonymousreply 76March 22, 2023 5:58 AM

R75 they both sound fucked if it's true they used to shit and pee on restaurant doors in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 77March 22, 2023 6:25 AM

Does Brenda Song eat anymore?

She had a nice booty going on in Suite Life but now she looks like a stick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 22, 2023 6:37 AM

[quote] Does Brenda Song eat anymore?

No one cares.

This thread isn't about some random nobody.

by Anonymousreply 79March 22, 2023 10:07 AM

If his parents were so poor how were they living in Italy when the Sprouse boys were born? I get the feeling he's exaggerating their financial condition a tad. His mother may have been a drug addicted lunatic, but people who "don't come from too much" don't live abroad and then come up with the money to move back to their native California.

by Anonymousreply 80March 22, 2023 11:20 AM

Watch the movie "My Own Private Idaho."

River Phoenix' character's mom moved to Italy too.

The only difference is that Dylan and Cole's crackhead mom put her kids on television, instead of letting them become teenaged prostitutes in Portland.

But being a child actor comes pretty close, in terms of life experience.

by Anonymousreply 81March 22, 2023 11:36 AM

[quote]This thread isn't about some random nobody.

Isn't this thread about Cole Sprouse?

by Anonymousreply 82March 22, 2023 3:00 PM

Seems that some in Gen Z and a few youtubers are now going after Cole. Calling him "cringe", going after his gormer tumblr days,multiple podcast appearances along with smoking cigarettes in each of them and past statements.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 29, 2023 2:17 PM

It sure felt fucking forced to me.

by Anonymousreply 84March 29, 2023 3:28 PM

Isn't that what kids are for? Put 'em to work. He's lucky it wasn't a factory.

by Anonymousreply 85March 29, 2023 3:29 PM

His poor mother.

She really should have been much firmer with those boys. Earlier is better, I say.

by Anonymousreply 86March 29, 2023 3:41 PM

Compared to other former child stars, they grew up pretty decently, they are educated and they aren't struggling financially. Their parents seemed to have invested the money well and didn't steal anything just like the parents of the Olsen twins and the Duff sisters. Dylan is funny and seems well-adjusted. Cole always seem unhappy and is more vocal about his insecurities and angst. The thing about identical twins that is fascinating is they show that a lot of personality traits are genetic and manifest differently even if raised in the same environment.

by Anonymousreply 87March 30, 2023 2:18 AM

The kick off of the last season of Riverdale was tonight, Jughead, a Sprouse twin, was the only one who knew they were tossed back to the 1950s and was trying to convince the rest who didn’t believe him. In the last moments he too forgot.

by Anonymousreply 88March 30, 2023 2:27 AM

It’s interesting, R88, that there’s very little intersection between Sprouse’s storylines and the rest of the major cast.

by Anonymousreply 89June 8, 2023 9:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!