Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Michelle Yeoh should be disqualified from Oscar contention

She violated campaigning rules of the Academy.

Will Smith violated the rules.

Michelle Yeoh violated the rules.

Same thing.

Disqualify her today, or the Academy is full of shit, double-standards, and hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 207March 29, 2023 9:13 AM

what did she do?

by Anonymousreply 1March 9, 2023 12:06 AM

[quote] what did she do?

Michelle Yeoh divides fans after sharing article saying that Cate Blanchett ‘already has two Oscars’

Michelle Yeoh shared, and then swiftly deleted, snippets from an article on Instagram, in which it was noted that her Academy Awards competitor Cate Blanchett “already has two Oscars”.

Yeoh has drawn criticism for the post, originally shared on 7 March, because she is competing with Blanchett for the Best Actress prize at the Academy Awards later this month.

The article that Yeoh shared was Vogue’s 6 March piece, titled “It’s Been Over Two Decades Since We’ve Had a Non-White Best Actress Winner. Will That Change in 2023?”

Yeoh, who is nominated at the 2023 Academy Awards for her role as Evelyn Wang in Everything Everywhere All At Once, shared a number of excerpts from the article on Instagram, in a post seen by The Independent.

In her caption, Yeoh wrote: “This is not just for me, this is for every little girl that looks like me... We want to be seen. We want to be heard.”

The post later disappeared after it began circulating on Twitter.

The Crazy Rich Asians star was questioned for sharing one paragraph in particular, which singled out Tár actor Blanchett. It said: “Detractors would say that Blanchett’s is the stronger performance – the acting veteran is, indisputably, incredible as the prolific conductor Lydia Tár – but it should be noted that she already has two Oscars (for best supporting actress for The Aviator in 2005, and best actress for Blue Jasmine in 2014).

“A third would perhaps confirm her status as an industry titan but, considering her expansive and unparalleled body of work, are we still in need of yet more confirmation? Meanwhile, for Yeoh, an Oscar would be life-changing: her name would forever be preceded by the phrase ‘Academy Award winner,’ and it should result in her getting meatier parts, after a decade of being criminally underused in Hollywood.”

The Independent has contacted Yeoh’s representatives for comment.

“Which overeager 2016-era I’m With Her millennial on Michelle Yeoh’s social media management team got that Instagram post approved? Please explain yourself,” journalist Iva Dixit tweeted.

Some users pointed out that Tuesday 7 March was the last day of Oscars voting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 9, 2023 12:09 AM

Ching Chong!

by Anonymousreply 3March 9, 2023 12:12 AM

Everybody wants things.

by Anonymousreply 4March 9, 2023 12:14 AM

So the reasons are Cate already has 2, and it should go to someone non-white? Lunacy.

by Anonymousreply 5March 9, 2023 12:16 AM

LOL. This makes me like her more. She's a woman who knows what she wants and she's going to get it at any cost! Watch out, Cate..

by Anonymousreply 6March 9, 2023 12:16 AM

OP = Cate Blanchett

by Anonymousreply 7March 9, 2023 12:17 AM

This is so not allowed.

And whether it makes you like her more or not R6, she still violated the Academy's rules on campaigning for an Oscar.

It was on her Instagram, so that's all the proof you need.

She broke the rules, and she must be disqualified, or the Academy and it's rules are a complete sham.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 9, 2023 12:18 AM

R8, well, she won't. And to be honest, it makes me happy that it'll upset the types of people who've had this bizarre grudge against Yeoh even before this incident. C'est la vie!

by Anonymousreply 9March 9, 2023 12:20 AM

Cate Blanchett’s PR team is working late this evening.

by Anonymousreply 10March 9, 2023 12:21 AM

They’d never disqualify her, are you kidding? Best Actress is the category getting all the attention this year.

She’s probably going to win, which will be doubly annoying considering how much better Cate was. It’s not even close.

by Anonymousreply 11March 9, 2023 12:21 AM

Go to bed Cate!

by Anonymousreply 12March 9, 2023 12:22 AM

It will go to neither of them and justice will be served. What cunts.

by Anonymousreply 13March 9, 2023 12:22 AM

I haven’t seen her in anything but Crouching Tiger and she seemed like a warm, classy woman in the special features. I hope we learn it was a PR person who did it, and not her.

by Anonymousreply 14March 9, 2023 12:22 AM

Let Will Smith present the Best Actress Oscar to Michelle Yeoh.

That would be so completely fitting and appropriate.

Two assholes basking in their awards.

by Anonymousreply 15March 9, 2023 12:26 AM

[quote] or the Academy and it's rules are a complete sham.

Speaking of shams...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 9, 2023 12:27 AM

I don't care, Best Actor should be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 17March 9, 2023 12:28 AM

R13 = Viola Davis

by Anonymousreply 18March 9, 2023 12:28 AM

🍀 [bold] I CALL SHENANIGANS !

by Anonymousreply 19March 9, 2023 12:29 AM

[bold] #3OSCARS4CATE

by Anonymousreply 20March 9, 2023 12:31 AM

Warm? Classy? Did you see this bitch shriek and bark at musicians during her Golden Globes speech? She acted completely entitled. Sure it was a big moment for her but she could have acted with dignity and class, but she chose to be rude to people only doing their jobs.

I'm rooting for Colin Farrell and Angela Bassett. They are letting their work speak for itself.

Michelle's thirstiness and posting of this article is so desperate and tacky. It's worse than Mellisa Leo, Kate Winslet, our dear AnnE and even Michelle's insufferable co-star, Jamie Lee. Worse.

It's literal violence!!

by Anonymousreply 21March 9, 2023 12:32 AM

It looks like Blanchett seem to be mistaken because she has been going around like she and Michelle are besties.

by Anonymousreply 22March 9, 2023 12:33 AM

Hopefully Will Smith can slap her around in the alley afterwards, since he's banned.

by Anonymousreply 23March 9, 2023 12:34 AM

stupid bitch

by Anonymousreply 24March 9, 2023 12:36 AM

It's 2023 and so it doesn't matter who gave the better performance.

by Anonymousreply 25March 9, 2023 12:38 AM

Damn I'm impressed Michelle is cut throat, haha. Kudos to her 👏

by Anonymousreply 26March 9, 2023 12:38 AM

How so, r26? Saying "you already have some and I'm Asian" is impressive to you?

by Anonymousreply 27March 9, 2023 12:39 AM

[quote] Did Michelle Yeoh Just Violate Oscar Campaigning Rules on Social Media?

March 7, 2023 Jordan Ruimy

With less than a few hours to go before Oscar voting ends, Michelle Yeoh just did something on social media that has more than a few people buzzing.

In a nutshell, Yeoh posted on Instagram a Vogue piece — titled “It’s Been Over Two Decades Since We’ve Had a Non-White Best Actress Winner. Will That Change in 2023?” — that made the argument against Cate Blanchett winning.

Yeoh broke Academy rules by including Blanchett's name in her Instagram post. Simple as that. The Vogue piece she posted makes the case for Yeoh to win the Oscar because she is Asian and Blanchett has already won it twice.

People argued that Andrea Riseborough should have been disqualified for Frances Fisher telling voters not to vote for certain nominees. Here, we have something far worse: an actual nominee telling voters not to vote for a fellow nominee.

This clearly goes against Academy rules, encouraging someone from voting for another nominee in her category. She could have at least waited until tomorrow when voting had closed

EDIT: She’s now deleted the article. She knows she f*cked up.

We’ll see if this overshadows a Yeoh win on Sunday evening by turning it into a political debate. I’m surprised she decided to post this, because it feels like it can do more damage than good.

Is it unprofessional? Of course, but, at this point, I don’t see how she can be disqualified. What is clear is that she’s quite thirsty for that Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 9, 2023 12:40 AM

I can't help but notice that her argument was not "I gave a better performance."

by Anonymousreply 29March 9, 2023 12:44 AM

REGULATIONS CONCERNING THE PROMOTION OF FILMS ELIGIBLE FOR THE 95TH ACADEMY AWARDS®

Issued by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

June 2022

OVERVIEW

In an effort to maintain a high degree of fairness and transparency in the process by which producers, distributors, marketers and others (collectively referred to as “f ilm companies”) promote films eligible for Academy Awards® to Academy members, the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has developed a set of regulations for the annual rite generally known as “campaigning.”

[quote] 11. References to Other Nominees

[quote] a. Ads, mailings, websites, social media (including Facebook and Twitter) or any other forms of public communication by anyone directly associated with an eligible film attempting to cast a negative or derogatory light on a competing film or achievement will not be tolerated.

[quote] b. In particular, any tactic that singles out “the competition” by name or title is expressly forbidden.

[quote] c. In addition to reserving all available remedies, Academy members who are found to have violated this regulation will be subject to a one-year suspension of membership for first-time violations, and expulsion for any subsequent violations.

She broke the rules.

Plain and simple.

Let's see if the Academy enforces the rules, or if it's "selective" with certain people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 9, 2023 12:44 AM

Boy, does she have egg (foo yung) on her face now.

by Anonymousreply 31March 9, 2023 12:44 AM

Throughout this awards season Michelle has shown zero humility. Always bragging at the podium, has a " I deserve this" attitude in her speeches. We need Will Smith to force feed her some humble pie on Oscar night

by Anonymousreply 32March 9, 2023 12:45 AM

True R29 I thought Asians didn't believe in Affirmative Action

by Anonymousreply 33March 9, 2023 12:46 AM

R8 " This is so not allowed. "

This is just like so literally so not allowed

by Anonymousreply 34March 9, 2023 12:48 AM

R34, see R30 for the official version of "so not allowed."

by Anonymousreply 35March 9, 2023 12:49 AM

The Academy should call a meeting.

by Anonymousreply 36March 9, 2023 12:50 AM

Yes, women always must show humility, while men are entitled to hubris! Those are the rules, damn it.

by Anonymousreply 37March 9, 2023 12:50 AM

She's the Asian Sally Kirkland. Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 38March 9, 2023 12:52 AM

[quote] [bold]a. Ads, mailings, websites, social media (including Facebook and Twitter) or any other forms of public communication by anyone directly associated with an eligible film attempting to cast a negative or derogatory light on a competing film or achievement will not be tolerated.[/bold]

[quote] [bold]b. In particular, any tactic that singles out “the competition” by name or title is expressly forbidden.[/bold]

It's specifically spelled out in the Academy's own rules about campaigning.

If they don't do anything about this, then there should be protests and boycotts.

The proof is all over the internet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 9, 2023 12:54 AM

Everybody is with Michelle, because nobody wants to see Cate win a 3rd Oscar. How boring would that be. We all want to see Michelle become the first Asian to win best actress.

Michelle also had the most difficult female role in film history. For that alone, she deserves to win.

by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2023 12:55 AM

Yeoh was very good in the film. But her performance wasn't even in the same universe as Blanchett's

by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2023 12:56 AM

she is right, she is gonna get it because she is asian

by Anonymousreply 42March 9, 2023 12:57 AM

Oh but what odd bedfellows the right-wing cunt trolls and the stupid bitches from LSA make as this thread shows.

by Anonymousreply 43March 9, 2023 12:58 AM

Michelle also had the most difficult female role in film history.

Really??

by Anonymousreply 44March 9, 2023 1:00 AM

the movie was pathetic, lame and boring

by Anonymousreply 45March 9, 2023 1:01 AM

I would love to see Cate win. She far and away gave the best performance of the year. In all four categories. It was a terrible year for film and there are so many undeserved nominations (including Yeoh) but Blanchett is so good in Tar that she would deserve the Oscar in even the most competitive year.

by Anonymousreply 46March 9, 2023 1:01 AM

If Michelle wins she should send a Tibetan monk on stage to decline the award.

by Anonymousreply 47March 9, 2023 1:02 AM

Cate's face requires a trigger warning these days.

by Anonymousreply 48March 9, 2023 1:04 AM

[quote]I hope we learn it was a PR person who did it, and not her.

She is 60 years old and an extremely accomplished actress with decades of work under her belt.

I really doubt she is running her Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 49March 9, 2023 1:06 AM

Post on Instagram: [bold] "VERBOTEN!!" [/bold]

Physically assault the host onstage: "Cool, dude. Here's your Oscar. See you at the after-party. Scold ya later!"

by Anonymousreply 50March 9, 2023 1:06 AM

African American nominee physically assaults another African American on-stage during the Oscar telecast.

Asian nominee specifically violates Academy campaigning rules, with clear cut evidence of the violation on social media prior to the Oscar telecast.

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) President is Asian.

What a pickle for the Academy. What to do, what to do?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 9, 2023 1:11 AM

She seems tiresome, and so endlessly thirsty.

by Anonymousreply 52March 9, 2023 1:12 AM

I loved Michelle Yeoh's performance, but I don't care if Cate has 50 Oscar awards --- that Tar performance deserves this year's award. It's an honor to be nominated, she should recognize it and be grateful because there are so many people who would chop off their limb to get what she already has. If the point of the award show is to win good publicity for the film industry, Michelle will win. If the point of the award show is to award performers for artistic excellence, Cate will win. Her performance in Tar was excellent. I don't know anyone else who could've pulled it off as well. Either way, I don't see how Cate could ever top her role as Lydia Tar, so I'm not surprised that she will be retiring after this award season.

by Anonymousreply 53March 9, 2023 1:18 AM

I'm not at all sure that Michelle should be disqualified but I know for a fact that she won't be.

by Anonymousreply 54March 9, 2023 1:18 AM

Is she still dating that billionaire?

by Anonymousreply 55March 9, 2023 1:19 AM

r51 oh look, another post about race. Race, race, race. Everywhere all the time now.

by Anonymousreply 56March 9, 2023 1:21 AM

OP you seem obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 57March 9, 2023 1:23 AM

R56, don't be surprised when people discuss race after Michelle posts an article that focuses on race. JFC.

by Anonymousreply 58March 9, 2023 1:23 AM

And your posts R58? You only continue the obsession with race. You're not any better.

by Anonymousreply 59March 9, 2023 1:24 AM

[quote]Yeoh was very good in the film. But her performance wasn't even in the same universe as Blanchett's.

True. True. Yeoh's performance was in EIGHT different universes. She played 8 different Evelyns and they all had different lives and emotions.

by Anonymousreply 60March 9, 2023 1:26 AM

At this point it’s like no one cares about the Best Actor race anymore, only Best Actress.

by Anonymousreply 61March 9, 2023 1:30 AM

I think when it's all over, anyone is going to remember is that Ke Huy Quan won an Oscar (and no one is fighting about that. Weird) and that your legacy in Hollywood Is never over until you die.

I predict it I will be the emotional center of the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 62March 9, 2023 1:34 AM

Well, that's because Short Round is a given at this point. Everyone knows he's going to get it, even though he doesn't deserve it. There is no chance in hell Barry Keoghan is going to pull an upset. So what's the point in talking about it?

by Anonymousreply 63March 9, 2023 1:36 AM

Disqualify her just because JLC is pushing so hard for her.

by Anonymousreply 64March 9, 2023 1:42 AM

She's Chinese from Hong Kong? Or does she support china? Fuck her!

by Anonymousreply 65March 9, 2023 2:01 AM

[quote] Boy, does she have egg (foo yung) on her face now.

When in doubt, steal jokes from the dialogue for "Flower Drum Song"!

by Anonymousreply 66March 9, 2023 2:04 AM

I vividly remember all the controversy around Jennifer Lawrence's SNL monologue where she named and shamed all 4 other nominees. It was a true scandal. Clearly a violation of the rules.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 9, 2023 2:10 AM

[quote]She's Chinese from Hong Kong? Or does she support china? Fuck her!

She's Malaysian

by Anonymousreply 68March 9, 2023 2:11 AM

If she was black, OP wouldn't dare to post the thread like this .

by Anonymousreply 69March 9, 2023 2:15 AM

[quote]If she was black, OP wouldn't dare to post the thread like this .

LOL!! They TOTALLY would!!

by Anonymousreply 70March 9, 2023 2:17 AM

R69, The OP is the racist and anti-trans troll. He obviously has no problem posting anything problematic. He's also the anti-Jamie Lee Curtis troll, who he attacks relentlessly for having a trans daughter.

by Anonymousreply 71March 9, 2023 2:19 AM

Asian Lady no looky good for age.

by Anonymousreply 72March 9, 2023 2:21 AM

Um, how is it racist to post the truth about something Michelle Yeoh did on social media, which violated the Academy's rules?

The only racists are the ones defending her, and saying that it's okay for her to break the rules BECAUSE she's not white.

Funny how you people like to twist the facts, just to suit your agenda.

by Anonymousreply 73March 9, 2023 2:24 AM

R71 Everyone here hates Jamie Lee. She is tiresome, and needy

by Anonymousreply 74March 9, 2023 2:24 AM

R74, Jamie is a gay icon. Nobody hates her except you.

by Anonymousreply 75March 9, 2023 2:27 AM

OP doesn't give a shit about this. He brought up Will Smith on purpose, even though it has no bearing on this, to try to rile you guys up, and it worked.

I know the OP and her many sock puppets just want to build up board "karma" which is why they re-post things and troll to get reactions but surely I'm not the only one who is sick of DL being nothing but "let's whine about actresses we don't like all day long" lately.

by Anonymousreply 76March 9, 2023 2:28 AM

This OP posts a lot of stupid shit

by Anonymousreply 77March 9, 2023 2:30 AM

R75 Jamie is a gay icon.

That was funny.

by Anonymousreply 78March 9, 2023 2:32 AM

R73, Andrea Riseborough is white, her team basically did the same thing and she was not disqualified. In fairness, I don't think Michelle shouldn't be disqualified even her team might break the rule

by Anonymousreply 79March 9, 2023 2:33 AM

R79 Riseborough didn’t post anything herself and she didn’t specially mention any of her fellow nominees. That’s not “basically the same thing.” If Michelle wants to take out ads like Melissa Leo or go on a nutty press tour like Sally Kirkland, fine. But publicly endorsing the notion that one of her fellow nominees is inherently undeserving is really beyond the pale.

by Anonymousreply 80March 9, 2023 2:39 AM

R79 "'... don't think Michelle shouldn't be disqualified even her team might break the rule"

Now that was sure lost in translation

by Anonymousreply 81March 9, 2023 2:39 AM

The Oscars are sort of an old people and media pre-occupation. Dying, like they do. Noboby really cares. Capturing The Fablemans is a very good film. Did anyone see it?

DataLounge Oscar talks are pre-ejaculate to the dumb LIVE threads calling everyone ugly or FAT. Repeating mean racist lies about the gorgeous Zendaya. SHE will win an Oscar one day. Deserved.

Racists gonna race.

Michelle Yeoh GO!

Jamie Lee Curtis is barely even an actress. She poses and talks. Obnoxious personality, on & off screen. What's going on behing her eyes? Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 82March 9, 2023 2:41 AM

Get this chink off my screen!

by Anonymousreply 83March 9, 2023 2:42 AM

OP, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I looked at your other posts and I don't think you're racist. But I don't think those defending Yeoh are racist either.

She probably didn't post the article herself. As soon as she was made aware of it, she corrected the mistake. She's been nothing but supportive of Cate Blanchett all season. Mistakes were made, but this wasn't an egregious violation of the rules. The article was very complimentary of Blanchett and all it said was not winning a third Oscar wouldn't tarnish Cate's reputation and wouldn't it be nice to finally have an Asian winner (when 60% of the world population is Asian).

Some folks are taking this way too far. Being mean about Cate and JLC. I don't think they deserve the scorn being heaped on them. They're just actors. Everyone blows everything they say so out of proportion.

I think the fact they she took it down is as important as the fact that it got posted In the first place.

(I can't believer we're arguing and being so mean to one another over an Oscar!! If this were a political campaign, I'd understand)

by Anonymousreply 84March 9, 2023 2:52 AM

I feel like this is embarrassing for Michelle. It's tacky and desperate.

by Anonymousreply 85March 9, 2023 3:31 AM

OP types poor and stupid. He thinks celebrities run their own social media posts. How sad!

by Anonymousreply 86March 9, 2023 3:35 AM

It doesn't matter who runs her social media. It's in her name. It's her official account. It was fucking stupid whether it was Michelle or her assistant.

Michelle was having a great campaign. This just reeks of desperation and sullies her entire campaign.

by Anonymousreply 87March 9, 2023 3:48 AM

There are plenty of celebrities that do their own social media.

by Anonymousreply 88March 9, 2023 3:59 AM

Jamie Lee is cringey, but she's funny and she has a good heart.

by Anonymousreply 89March 9, 2023 4:13 AM

I think that during her acceptance speech, Blanchette walks up the stairs and smacks Michelle in the face.

The AMPAS and the Academy Awards were put together by the Studios to promote movies and movie viewership.

Michelle does both. Win/win.

by Anonymousreply 90March 9, 2023 4:21 AM

[quote] during her acceptance speech, Blanchette walks up the stairs and smacks Michelle in the face

I'd pay to see that!

by Anonymousreply 91March 9, 2023 4:23 AM

When she won the GG & the music played her off, Yeoh threatened the orchestra leader with physical violence, something like, “I’ll kick your ass.” That alone should disqualify her, especially in light of last year’s Slap.

If Blanchett wins I fully expect Yeoh to rush the stage & pull some Crouching Tiger shit on her.

by Anonymousreply 92March 9, 2023 4:24 AM

Another Defucktard thread. Hyper as usual. He tired himself out on his multiple JLC threads like a toddler sitting in a diaper full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 93March 9, 2023 4:35 AM

Crouching Tigers... crouch.

by Anonymousreply 94March 9, 2023 4:35 AM

OP is the real victim!

by Anonymousreply 95March 9, 2023 4:37 AM

OP needs an abortion with a funny name.

by Anonymousreply 96March 9, 2023 4:38 AM

[quote]Yeoh threatened the orchestra leader with physical violence

How long are you going to keep trying to work the crowd with this shit? Come on, the drugs have to have worn off by now.

by Anonymousreply 97March 9, 2023 4:41 AM

He's having another one of his fits. Like fucking clockwork. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 98March 9, 2023 4:42 AM

Cate Blanchett should win because her performance is far more nuanced and complex than anyone else's. That said, there would be nothing wrong with giving Michelle an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 99March 9, 2023 4:46 AM

I like your reasonable attitude, r99. I wish there were more or you here and fewer extremists. I loved Michelle Yeoh's performance but I'm not gonna freak out if Cate Blanchett wins. I'm just irritated by the folks who say it was just an ok performance in a bad movie by a lucky stunt woman who may win because she's Asian. I want her to win because I loved the movie and I loved her performance.

by Anonymousreply 100March 9, 2023 4:57 AM

I will add, when I walked out of the theater after seeing it in the early summer, I was already sure Ke Huy Quan was gonna win an Oscar. I don't remember if I thought Yeoh would. I may have hoped she'd get nominated, but I definitely didn't foresee Stephanie Hsu or Jamie Leigh Curtis getting nominated (even though I think they were both awesome in the movie).

by Anonymousreply 101March 9, 2023 5:03 AM

[quote] I'm just irritated by the folks who say it was just an ok performance in a bad movie by a lucky stunt woman who may win because she's Asian.

Isn't it ridiculous that some here think that? Michelle Yeoh has been acting in films since Blanchett was a tween.

by Anonymousreply 102March 9, 2023 5:46 AM

Does her pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 103March 9, 2023 5:55 AM

Always circling, always trolling.

by Anonymousreply 104March 9, 2023 5:57 AM

There needs to be an investigation made by the Academy. Now.

Just like the bullying they put Andrea Riseborough through.

by Anonymousreply 105March 9, 2023 6:10 AM

[quote] True. True. Yeoh's performance was in EIGHT different universes. She played 8 different Evelyns and they all had different lives and emotions.

R60 including the one as a rock and the subtle emotional nuances of the sausage fingers universe. I think Yeoh is a great actress but I'm really unsure anything about the movie deserves an Oscar. (I haven't seen Tar. )

by Anonymousreply 106March 9, 2023 6:20 AM

R87, Plus, if she has someone else posting on 'wherever' for her, I doubt she'd ever do so without insisting on approval prior to posting.

by Anonymousreply 107March 9, 2023 6:46 AM

These threads are a mini snapshot of how most Academy Members vote. No one’s impartial. You either “like” a performer or you don’t. If you like their story at this moment in time, you want them to win, with their career solidified and your taste validated.

If you’re still an adolescent at heart and fixated on the movie “Halloween,” you want Jamie Lee Curtis to win. If you liked “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Cooter” a long time ago then you want Yeoh to win. If you feel for underdogs then you want Riseborough to win. Etc. etc. etc. It’s not really about the present performances (which face it, aren’t all amazing.)

by Anonymousreply 108March 9, 2023 6:54 AM

Wasn't it only a few weeks back Michelle was sidong with Andrea Riseborough 's nomination and stating the Black actresses had no right to gripe about not being nominated??

by Anonymousreply 109March 9, 2023 7:13 AM

Agreed, R105.

This must be investigated before the Academy Awards ceremony on Sunday.

It's hard to take away the award once it's given, but it's not too late to do it right now.

by Anonymousreply 110March 9, 2023 9:57 AM

Yes, this is of utmost importance. No actress of color can win any awards on the Academy Awards. Not on my watch.

by Anonymousreply 111March 9, 2023 1:23 PM

LOCK HER UP! LOCK HER UP!!

by Anonymousreply 112March 9, 2023 2:51 PM

Interesting that it's been 24 hours and no word from the Academy...

by Anonymousreply 113March 9, 2023 6:38 PM

They won't do anything about it, R113.

They're full of shit when it comes to enforcing the rules.

Mainly when it comes to certain people.

Rules are only there for some, but not others.

by Anonymousreply 114March 9, 2023 6:53 PM

Michelle Yeoh must be dragged before the Academy Tribunal and made to explain herself!

(Jamie Lee can act as her attending rep/personal reference.)

by Anonymousreply 115March 9, 2023 8:23 PM

Michelle is simply guilty of 1] saying thoughts out loud and 2] hitting post instead of save.

This is a mouse fart.

by Anonymousreply 116March 9, 2023 8:58 PM

Dumb bitch.

by Anonymousreply 117March 9, 2023 9:28 PM

Cate is that you at R 117?

by Anonymousreply 118March 9, 2023 9:59 PM

R89 "Jamie Lee is cringey"

Bless your heart

by Anonymousreply 119March 9, 2023 10:09 PM

Remove her from contention for this but don’t remove a sitting president who, well, did the things Trump did. Makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 120March 9, 2023 10:13 PM

R120 if she wins, strip her of the award on stage, LIVE!

by Anonymousreply 121March 9, 2023 10:24 PM

If Michelle loses she will be pissed

If Cate loses she will cheer on Michelle

by Anonymousreply 122March 9, 2023 10:28 PM

then key her car afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 123March 9, 2023 10:29 PM

Yeoh was an entitled ship wreck at the Golden Globes, so fucking arrogant. Put me right off.

by Anonymousreply 124March 9, 2023 10:32 PM

What ever will you do? Get the vapors?

by Anonymousreply 125March 9, 2023 10:48 PM

Michelle Yeoh should be charged with felony crimes and summarily executed live during the Oscars.

Will THAT make you all happy?

by Anonymousreply 126March 10, 2023 12:50 AM

For starters.

by Anonymousreply 127March 10, 2023 12:52 AM

I liked her in Crazy Rich Asians. She used her own ring in the movie because she didn't like what was provided.

by Anonymousreply 128March 10, 2023 12:54 AM

[quote] She used her own ring in the movie because she didn't like what was provided.

CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 129March 10, 2023 1:04 AM

If you aren't loving the drama, then you need to turn in your gay card.

Starting at 2:46, Bette Davis explains how cutthroat the Oscars used to be back in the day. Watch and learn....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 10, 2023 1:08 AM

Michelle's transgression is a stain on the integrity of the Oscars. It's very unfortunate and very upsetting.

by Anonymousreply 131March 10, 2023 1:31 AM

If Michelle wins I hope that Cate rushes the stage and give her a vicious face slapping!!

by Anonymousreply 132March 10, 2023 1:34 AM

Someone needs to force feed her some humility .

She seems uppity

by Anonymousreply 133March 10, 2023 1:57 AM

Uppity is a piece of shit word.

by Anonymousreply 134March 10, 2023 2:01 AM

R134 I know., that's why I used it to describe Michelle Yeoh

by Anonymousreply 135March 10, 2023 2:05 AM

She will not win

She doesn't deserve it

by Anonymousreply 136March 10, 2023 2:12 AM

I want her barred from the ceremonies for this little stunt.

by Anonymousreply 137March 10, 2023 2:16 AM

She's making amends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 10, 2023 2:18 AM

Hot oil, and Japan should be allowed back the pre WW2 Chinese territories they occupied.

by Anonymousreply 139March 10, 2023 2:24 AM

[quote]Michelle's transgression is a stain on the integrity of the Oscars. It's very unfortunate and very upsetting.

Rob Lowe and Cinderella were a stain on the integrity of the Oscars.

Will Smith slapping Chris Rock was a stain on the integrity of the Oscars.

Announcing La La Land as Best Picture instead of moonlight a stain on the integrity of the Oscars was a stain on the integrity of the Oscars.

"Crash" winning best picture was a HUGE a stain on the integrity of the Oscars.

This is nothing.

by Anonymousreply 140March 10, 2023 2:45 AM

[quote] Rob Lowe and Cinderella were a stain on the integrity of the Oscars.

It was SNOW WHITE not Cinderella!!

How dare you!!

NOw THAT is a stain on the integrity of the Oscars! And its history!!!

by Anonymousreply 141March 10, 2023 2:48 AM

[quote]It was SNOW WHITE not Cinderella!!

You're right!! I've been trying to block it out of my head for 20 years!! Mea culpa!

by Anonymousreply 142March 10, 2023 3:02 AM

[quote] You're right!! I've been trying to block it out of my head for 20 years!! Mea culpa!

How dare you!!!

It's been THIRTY-FOUR YEARS not TWENTY!!!

Who the hell do you think you are?? Ms. Zeta-Jones????

by Anonymousreply 143March 10, 2023 3:33 AM

I actually liked that Oscar show.

by Anonymousreply 144March 10, 2023 4:02 AM

[quote]How dare you!!!

[quote]It's been THIRTY-FOUR YEARS not TWENTY!!!

[quote]Who the hell do you think you are?? Ms. Zeta-Jones????

I'm sorry!!! I have early onset Alzheimer's. And I'm only 34!!

(but wasn't I great in Chicago?)

by Anonymousreply 145March 10, 2023 4:36 AM

R140: Announcing La La Land as Best Picture instead of moonlight a stain on the integrity of the Oscars was a stain on the integrity of the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 146March 10, 2023 5:24 AM

R146, Moonlight Jerk off?

by Anonymousreply 147March 10, 2023 5:42 AM

Fuck this rotten bitch.

The Chinese Academy has let her slide with this travesty, and not even a mention of her breaking their VERY OWN rules.

Orientals are in charge of Hollywood now, and they're going to make sure that they give themselves every award possible.

It's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 148March 10, 2023 8:36 PM

"Orientals"

Posting from 1955 again?

by Anonymousreply 149March 10, 2023 9:03 PM

“Oriental” has been out of style since WW2. R148 hasn’t been laid in at least three decades.

by Anonymousreply 150March 10, 2023 9:33 PM

Let's get back on topic.

Michelle Yeoh needs to be disqualified from Oscar contention.

by Anonymousreply 151March 10, 2023 10:25 PM

This is so hypocritical of Michelle Yeoh

She recently sided with the Andrea Riseborough mafia style nomination and was critical of the reactions of the un nominated black actresses/ directors, who were throwing a fit for not being nominated .

However now she is all about affirmative action??

by Anonymousreply 152March 11, 2023 12:31 AM

She can kiss my white ass.

by Anonymousreply 153March 11, 2023 1:04 AM

I was rooting for her. She disappointed me. I'm very sad about this.

by Anonymousreply 154March 11, 2023 1:16 AM

she's chinese, what do you expect? they are nasty cunts, i've dealt with so many of them.

by Anonymousreply 155March 11, 2023 1:17 AM

I hope she wins.

And I hope the entire orchestra plays her off when she starts babbling on about what a historic moment this is (for her). And when she becomes rude - as she did at the Golden Globes - I hope they play louder and louder. Perhaps playing a medley of songs from Michelle's movies.

I'd love to see the incredulous look on her face when she realizes the orchestra doesn't give a fuck about her speech.

by Anonymousreply 156March 11, 2023 1:22 AM

[quote]She recently sided with the Andrea Riseborough mafia style nomination and was critical of the reactions of the un nominated black actresses/ directors, who were throwing a fit for not being nominated .

Her quote:

"I love [Viola and Danielle] to the extreme and wish we were all getting Oscars but it’s tough,” she added. “It took me 40 years to even get a nomination. Every single actor and actress puts their heart and soul into these movies and you don’t necessarily start thinking you are going to get nominated. The stories we want to tell are more important.”

You call that being critical? And I can tell you're deeply concerned for the Black actors denied a nomination by the way you say they "were throwing a fit for not being nominated ."

You're truly all class, r152. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 157March 11, 2023 1:23 AM

you know she's gonna win coz she ain't white

by Anonymousreply 158March 11, 2023 1:24 AM

[quote]she's chinese, what do you expect? they are nasty cunts, i've dealt with so many of them.

She's a MALAYSIAN cunt, you racist cunt!

by Anonymousreply 159March 11, 2023 1:24 AM

It is very very sad — it isn’t about MY either. Her story is just a symptom, not the cause. This situation completely outlines where our values are as a culture.

At the same time, it is just too easy to make an example out of MY, when in truth, we’ve all helped to create this environment that encourages this type of behavior. Whites have done an extremely poor job of opening doors to minorities, and that has caused huge distrust. Then you get someone like MY, who as a minority (maybe) doesn’t fully trust the Academy to make the “right” decision because there is no such thing as right, there is only winning. MY is only personifying the Capitalist corporate pig culture we all active to wherein winning us everything, losing is for “the suckers”. Sound familiar? A little Trump? MY made a Trump move here! Is this the America we want to live in?

I could GAF who wins.

by Anonymousreply 160March 11, 2023 1:25 AM

Glenn Close has been at this longer than anyone, and she still has yet to win an Oscar.

And Glenn has given some of the most amazing performances. Certainly better than Michelle Yeo.

So Michelle just needs to shut the fuck up!

by Anonymousreply 161March 11, 2023 1:28 AM

Has this been the thirstiest Oscars ever?

by Anonymousreply 162March 11, 2023 1:30 AM

Sorry, Lads, it didn't make it to the next news cycle.

by Anonymousreply 163March 11, 2023 1:35 AM

Another racist thread. Trolls have multiple meltdowns. Sweet, sweet conservative tears.

by Anonymousreply 164March 11, 2023 2:46 AM

She was a cunt to the pianist at the Globes, and it wasn't even her playing.

by Anonymousreply 165March 11, 2023 2:48 AM

Yu so racist.

by Anonymousreply 166March 11, 2023 2:50 AM

Well, it looks like she wasn't disqualified!

by Anonymousreply 167March 11, 2023 3:04 AM

Even if she doesn't win, she's more well known, more popular and beloved than ever.

by Anonymousreply 168March 11, 2023 3:07 AM

Outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 169March 11, 2023 4:45 AM

It is outrageous, R169. But after Will Smith, I fear the Oscars are starting to become about feuds, fights, cunting and drama. They need the ratings. Let's face it, thanks to Jamie Lee and these other twats, we are talking about the Oscars and people will probably tune in just to see if there's brawling and shading. They know it and that's why they're emboldened to mouth off.

by Anonymousreply 170March 11, 2023 12:08 PM

[quote] Well, it looks like she wasn't disqualified!

And we all know why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171March 11, 2023 12:17 PM

OP was disqualified when plopped out of his jackal's cunt.

by Anonymousreply 172March 11, 2023 2:58 PM

There is still time to organize a letter writing campaign by tomorrow night. If we get Yeoh banned by the Academy at least she can’t attend the awards. And harm others.

I’m getting out my stationery box right now.

by Anonymousreply 173March 11, 2023 3:55 PM

Hurry, HURRY! She's walking up to the podium RIGHT NOW!

by Anonymousreply 174March 11, 2023 4:02 PM

Dear Academy,

I write to you now to ask you to disqualify the "actress" glorified stuntwoman Michelle Yeoh. I hate her and she smells bad and she is Asian and I don't like her. She is a nepo baby frau and I want someone white to win the Best Actress of the Oscar Awards. She is bad. Bad and not good in the movie that is bad even though everyone likes it and it's bad so don't let her in the auditorium or she'll hurt people like Will Smith last year.

With my deepest appreciation, DeTrollo

PS Did I mention she is bad and I don't like her and JLC who is also a nepo baby and a frau too who will talk about the trans if she wins too.

by Anonymousreply 175March 11, 2023 4:18 PM

Does Cate's pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 176March 12, 2023 4:12 AM

A blonde white woman's pussy never stinks.

by Anonymousreply 177March 12, 2023 4:23 AM

Sure, r177

by Anonymousreply 178March 12, 2023 5:30 AM

[quote] A blonde white woman's pussy never stinks.

Joanna Krupa's pussy stinks!

by Anonymousreply 179March 12, 2023 9:01 AM

Cheryl, your carpet does not match the drapes. REAL blondes.

by Anonymousreply 180March 12, 2023 6:53 PM

Welp.

Looks like (as expected) Janet Yang will do nothing about this flagrant rule breaking, and Yeoh will get away with it.

Quelle surprise.

by Anonymousreply 181March 12, 2023 8:32 PM

Janet Yang is fine with Will Smith getting his Oscar engraved.

She is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 182March 12, 2023 8:54 PM

BUMP time!

It looks like Michelle won, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183March 13, 2023 3:50 AM

Her Oscar will be rescinded by close of business day tomorrow. The Academy will (rightly) find she broke campaigning rules, just watch.

by Anonymousreply 184March 13, 2023 6:49 AM

^lol!! Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 185March 13, 2023 6:55 AM

It seems the crowd was behind her too.

But she did break the rules.

by Anonymousreply 186March 13, 2023 7:21 AM

the crowd was behind her? because she is the first "asian"woman to get an oscar for a leading role, lol

by Anonymousreply 187March 13, 2023 12:44 PM

The problem is an oscar for jamie lee curtis, thats ridicolous, you know that 3 of 4 acting oscars went to that shit movie so it is THE best acted movie picture THIS century. Streetcare named desire and Network are the last ones. Comparing those movies to that nightmare...

by Anonymousreply 188March 13, 2023 12:51 PM

Poor R188. Don't chop off any fingers in protest, since your stinker mick flick lost it all.

by Anonymousreply 189March 13, 2023 5:56 PM

I don't understand the mentality that someone shouldn't get an award because they've already been awarded in the past comes from?

by Anonymousreply 190March 13, 2023 6:04 PM

They should quit this race stuff and start giving awards to regular actors and actresses again.

by Anonymousreply 191March 13, 2023 6:13 PM

I don't understand that last comment.

by Anonymousreply 192March 15, 2023 5:47 PM

What’s to understand?

by Anonymousreply 193March 15, 2023 8:39 PM

R191 is racist. As always.

by Anonymousreply 194March 15, 2023 10:46 PM

R191 is 100% correct.

by Anonymousreply 195March 15, 2023 11:48 PM

If it isn't the racist little copycat. Hi fuckhead, infect any hobos lately?

by Anonymousreply 196March 15, 2023 11:53 PM

Word is Yeoh’s Oscar will be rescinded by week’s end due to her breaking the Academy’s campaigning rules.

Just wait.

by Anonymousreply 197March 16, 2023 7:32 PM

Word is R197 is a dumb cluck.

by Anonymousreply 198March 16, 2023 9:20 PM

R197 is racist against white people.

Apparently, it's okay if the rules only apply to white people, and not orientals who break the rules.

by Anonymousreply 199March 16, 2023 10:21 PM

I’m telling you - I’ve been working on a letter writing campaign since the weekend. The movement’s gaining ground.

You’re going to be surprised.

by Anonymousreply 200March 17, 2023 2:39 AM

Oh FFS R200 take your meds and go to bed already.

by Anonymousreply 201March 17, 2023 2:46 AM

[quote] I’ve been working on a letter writing campaign

And you're up to C; good job. Here's your participation badge:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202March 17, 2023 3:00 AM

[quote I’ve been working on a letter writing campaign

Will you be sending it by fax like Aretha Franklin?

I'm sure Michelle will be terrified to hear the beeping of that incoming fax!!!

by Anonymousreply 203March 17, 2023 3:43 AM

A surprising number of people don’t get jokes around here.

by Anonymousreply 204March 18, 2023 1:24 PM

R204 What’s the absolutely hilarious joke we’re not getting?

by Anonymousreply 205March 18, 2023 2:15 PM

I smiled at the letter-writing campaign. Or at least didn't take it seriously.

by Anonymousreply 206March 18, 2023 3:18 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 207March 29, 2023 9:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!