Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Season Two Of "Perry Mason" Just Started.

With very little fanfare, or promotion, that I have seen. And reviews are uniformly good, and find it better than Season One.

Will you be watching, bitches?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 7, 2023 12:03 AM

One review I read says he's actually a lawyer this year, instead of an investigator. That should improve it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1March 7, 2023 3:07 AM

I miss Barbara Hale.

by Anonymousreply 2March 7, 2023 3:10 AM

The first season was unexpectedly amazing. HBO certainly threw as much money at this as possible the first time out and it shows in every painstaking period detail. John Lithgow was especially excellent, but this is Rhys’s show and he is spectacular. Excited for S2!

by Anonymousreply 3March 7, 2023 3:13 AM

I love the sets, and Chris Chalk (Paul Drake) is very hot.

I didn't even recognize Sean Astin.

One of the JTP from "The Goldbergs" played the loser grocery store owner.

by Anonymousreply 4March 7, 2023 3:25 AM

I'm glad they did the recap at the beginning since it's been a LOOOOONG time since Season 1.

by Anonymousreply 5March 7, 2023 3:29 AM

Very nice production values, and good acting.

by Anonymousreply 6March 7, 2023 3:38 AM

Sean Astin has really become one fat fuck. But it's great for character roles like this one.

But he still genuinely has charisma. He could really command the screen in his big speech in the grocery store about having no mercy.

by Anonymousreply 7March 7, 2023 3:40 AM

[quote] Sean Astin has really become one fat fuck.

DETAILS PLEASE!

by Anonymousreply 8March 7, 2023 3:41 AM

Despite the many problems and digressions of a too long first season, I loved it once Perry pulled himself together and put on a suit to win the case.

Looking forward to this. Assume it is just dropping week by week? Is it a different story every week, or one season-long mystery? I may wait and binge it when it all drops.

by Anonymousreply 9March 7, 2023 3:43 AM

R9 Weekly.

by Anonymousreply 10March 7, 2023 3:46 AM

r9, the show only drops one episode a week. The entire season will be the one big case: the trial for the men accused of murdering the millionaire's son tonight.

by Anonymousreply 11March 7, 2023 5:49 AM

I like the diversity of the characters of the show even though that is such a huge change from not only Raymond Burr's show but also the Erle Stanley Gardner novels. It does seem unlikely a law office in 1932 would have a straight white man as the front, a lesbian legal assistant, a black legman, and a Chinese-American secretary, but even so it is possible, and it makes for a more interesting show (I'm fascinated so far by the material about Paul's and Clara's life in Watts, and Della's new flirtation with the woman in the powder room). I'll be curious if it's Mason's Hispanic mannish ex-girlfriend Lupe who through community ties brings him into contact with the Hispanic boys who will be accused of the murder.

by Anonymousreply 12March 7, 2023 7:18 AM

Damn, Sean Astin really chunked out. Took me a while to recognize him

by Anonymousreply 13March 7, 2023 6:36 PM

When Raymond Burr did Perry in color, lost its appeal. Won't watch this.

by Anonymousreply 14March 7, 2023 6:46 PM

r14 There was only ONE "PM" episode in color. (With DL fave Victor Buono as a Fagin-like character.) It was a tryout to see how it would work if Perry got renewed for the following season, when CBS was (finally) going all color. But it never came to pass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 7, 2023 6:48 PM

I wad surprised that the second season premiered because there hasn’t been any promotion anywhere. This usually means the network has already decided not to renew it. Given HBO’s new management under Zaslav it seems likely.

This is another elephant from Team Downey which is going to probably see Sweet Tooth cancelled after Season 2 as well.

by Anonymousreply 16March 7, 2023 6:54 PM

I binged season one on Saturday and watched the Season 2 premiere last night. I am really enjoying it. Sounds odd - it is a different decade and different continent but season 2 reminded me a little bit of Foyle’s War.

by Anonymousreply 17March 8, 2023 12:29 AM

I’d watch just for cutie pie Sean Astin. Big or not, I wanna throw him against a wall and make out with him.

by Anonymousreply 18March 8, 2023 12:50 AM

^Look before you leap. Rudy is but a distant memory, unfortunately. I loved Anita’s line when Della called her on the phone: “I've given any number of cards to women in powder rooms.”

by Anonymousreply 19March 13, 2023 6:57 PM

I cannot believe how Big Sean Astin has gotten 😔 It can't be good for his health 🤔 I think his mom Patty Duke would be upset about Sean weight gain

by Anonymousreply 20March 13, 2023 11:21 PM

Hi - ok my fellow Dataloungers - HELP! My usual super powers of identifying actors in different roles is failing me now. WHO played the rich woman possible Lesbian who was hosting the fundraiser in Season 2 Episode 2 - she was dressed in silver and chatted with Della. She was SOOOO familiar! She wasn’t listed in IMDB. She was way too young to be Jane Alexander. She was too old to be Lady Edith from Downton Abbey …. Not pretty enough to be Patricia Clarkson. It is driving me crazy!

by Anonymousreply 21March 14, 2023 6:18 AM

I found out myself - It was Hope Davis.^

by Anonymousreply 22March 14, 2023 8:48 PM

R22 Hope is so good, like the perfect Wasp. She should work more.

by Anonymousreply 23March 14, 2023 11:18 PM

Episode 2 was very strong, it’s going to be a good season, I think, without the digressions of the forst season.

by Anonymousreply 24March 18, 2023 3:48 AM

Please control your enthusiasm.

by Anonymousreply 25March 21, 2023 12:14 PM

Just finished watching the Burr Perry Mason series, start to finish, yesterday. It took a year.

Seeing the single color episode among the last Season 9 for the first time was fun. The main effect was everyone looked better, because the lighting and makeup of the series (except for Burr) was hateful, and the only noirish trait in what had become a "cozy" as much as "Murder She Wrote" was.

by Anonymousreply 26March 21, 2023 12:22 PM

Matthew Rhys is one of my "will not watch" actors.

by Anonymousreply 27March 21, 2023 12:25 PM

It's off to a strong start and more character driven than the tv show which was very predictable---the most obvious person breaks down in confession in the first few seasons. The most unlikely person does it in the nlater seasons.

by Anonymousreply 28March 21, 2023 12:27 PM

R2: She's very much there. When people post "I misss ______". It's usually pathetic, as predictable as posts that include "woke".

by Anonymousreply 29March 21, 2023 12:28 PM

R29 Why?

by Anonymousreply 30March 21, 2023 6:42 PM

It's a good mystery now that the two brothers admitted to doing it. I am surprised where it has gone.

Hope Davis just doesn't seem very period to me in her performance--she seems too modern in the way she's playing her part. Otherwise I really like acting. I thought the scene between Drake and the guy whose face got ripped up last week was very good.

by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2023 4:37 PM

R27 I think he's a good actor, why don't you like him?

by Anonymousreply 32March 28, 2023 4:46 PM

Maybe it’s just me but every ep this season has put me to sleep. I like the period details but the main mystery isn’t as captivating as last season’s. The best part of S1 was Tatiana Maslany’s character.

by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2023 5:00 PM

I was only able to make it through the first three episodes of season one. As much I love the way it looks and the performances— Rhys in particular, of course — it’s just soooooooo dull.

Maybe I should give it another try.

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2023 5:02 PM

First season was excellent. Rhys is such a good actor. Wasn't aware there was a second season. Effectively, they sure didn't advertise this one much.

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2023 5:32 PM

Sorry to bump. I was a big fan of the first season, I don’t know many episodes have aired as of this week, but I’ve fallen asleep during every one, and it’s the only show that does this to me. I don’t even go back & rewatch what I missed. The main mystery isn’t very compelling, but I really like the cast & the setting. With such little hype for this show, & seeing as it must be very expensive to make, I wouldn’t doubt that this will be its last season.

by Anonymousreply 36April 8, 2023 7:21 AM

No publicity at all. And everyone seems to be missing a big character this season.

by Anonymousreply 37April 8, 2023 8:09 AM

R32, My answer is for you to read the comments after yours! He is the driving force for the show's being "dull" and making viewers "sleepy."

by Anonymousreply 38April 8, 2023 9:27 AM

R38 I liked the first season but cannot get into the second. Trying to update Mason to make most of the cast gay, a black guy as Paul, etc. While I salute the producers' political sensitivity, it takes you right out of the story. Anachronisms always do.

by Anonymousreply 39April 8, 2023 6:19 PM

Most of the cast gay?

by Anonymousreply 40April 8, 2023 6:45 PM

r40 You're thinking of the original series.

by Anonymousreply 41April 8, 2023 7:05 PM

[quote] Trying to update Mason to make most of the cast gay,

Della Street and Hamilton Berger are gay in this revival, and Della is this season seeing a new girlfriend. but that's not "most of the cast." Stop pulling shit out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 42April 8, 2023 7:10 PM

For the first time since Season 2 started, I didn’t fall asleep during an episode! And it wasn’t even action-packed, it just held my interest more than the others have.

by Anonymousreply 43April 11, 2023 6:35 AM

This is an old people's tv show. Nobody else is watching it.

by Anonymousreply 44April 11, 2023 6:48 AM

It's slow and confusing. I was never psyched by season 1 and I stopped season 2 in the middle of the second episode. Done with it.

by Anonymousreply 45April 11, 2023 7:16 AM

I enjoy it. I really like the actress who plays Della.

She was great in "The Knick." That was such an amazing show. Steven Soderbergh is hit and miss for me, but this was a success.

But not enough for Cinemax unfortunately.

Anyway, Perry Mason may not have another season but I'm going to continue to enjoy this one.

by Anonymousreply 46April 11, 2023 8:06 AM

R42 the main characters are Perry, Della, Paul and Berger. Della and Berger are gay and now Paul's black.

Della recognizing a sister lesbian in the ladies' room of a restaurant - at noon - seemed rather contrived, didn't it.

by Anonymousreply 47April 11, 2023 6:43 PM

They were cruising themselves table to table.

by Anonymousreply 48April 11, 2023 7:16 PM

I meant *each other.

by Anonymousreply 49April 11, 2023 7:16 PM

That was underwhelming. It’s interesting that they show that sometimes losing is winning. But there’s no way the DA would be satisfied without being told exactly how Mason got the gun, and Mason would be disbarred after he goes to jail.

by Anonymousreply 50April 25, 2023 12:42 PM

The first Perry Mason was published 1933.. So let's take everything that made Mason a classic American character for nearly a century, toss it to the side, and improve its image like we did with Bud Light sorta Beer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 25, 2023 3:40 PM

R51, if you think the books are unimprovable then just read the books. Sick of the Republican trolls complaining about diversity. Just watch Fox News all day and leave the rest of us alone. Only low IQ rednecks like Kid Rock are complaining about Bud Light. You must really miss the Confederacy.

by Anonymousreply 52April 25, 2023 3:44 PM

Cancelled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 6, 2023 10:09 PM

This show makes the original Raymond Burr show feel like Fast and Furious.

by Anonymousreply 54June 7, 2023 12:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!