[bold] GREG'S TANTALIZING ROASTED POTATOES WITH SEMOLINA [/bold]
[bold] INGREDIENTS FOR 4 to 6 PEOPLE [/bold]
–2-1/2 to 2-3/4 pounds of floury potatoes, such as Russetts
–7 Tablespoons (1/4 cup + 3 Tablespoons) duck fat or olive oil
–2 Tablespoons of Semolina
–2 Garlic cloves, peeled
–A few rosemary sprigs
–Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
[bold] PROCEDURE [/bold]
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel the potatoes, cut into large chunks, and place in a saucepan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 6 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, add the oil to a sheet pan that will accommodate the potatoes in a single layer. Place the oiled sheet pan in the oven to heat up.
4. Drain the potatoes (yes, in a colander) and give them a gentle shake to rough up the edges.
5. Sprinkle the potatoes with the Semolina, shake again to coat evenly, then leave to steam dry for 5 minutes.
6. Leave the garlic cloves whole but hit them with the flat side of a large chef's knife.
7. Carefully add the potatoes to the hot tray, along with the garlic and rosemary. Gently toss the potatoes, garlic, and rosemary in the hot fat to coat and spread out in a single layer so that they cook evenly.
8. Roast for 40 to 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
9. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and serve hot.
*I also like to sprinkle the cooked potatoes with some finely chopped fresh Italian parsley just before serving.
These are the MOST delicious roasted potatoes you will ever have!