Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I fell in love with Banshees of Inisherin

I flew on American Airlines this past weekend, and Banshees was on the in-flight entertainment.

What a lovely little movie.

They took a very simple story and through use of a beautiful setting and tremendous acting, turned out an excellent film.

Colin Farrell deserves the Best Actor oscar for this role. I've never seen him so vulnerable, and then in the end, so hard. The journey his character goes through from beginning to end, is just amazing. And it's all Farrell. I also never knew he had this in him. Colin was totally in his element.

The supporting cast of Brendan Gleeson and Kerry Condon should be the talk of Hollywood right now, for their performances.

For what should have been a slow-paced and maybe even sleepy movie, all three of these actors made this movie a Best Picture.

I was not bored even once.

The slow reveal of the story, and then the surprising twist at the end was completely worth watching.

It was quirky and fun and dramatic and even added in a little bit of a horror/mystery element, which just added to the rich culture of the film.

I cannot speak highly enough of the movie and the actors in it.

Oh, and Barry Keoghan was a delightful surprise, as well. I see big things in his acting future.

I fear that this movie will not get its due this year and in THIS new Hollywood.

Maybe 10 or 20 years ago, it would have swept the awards. But unfortunately, not in 2023 where mediocrity is the toast of the town.

by Anonymousreply 108March 22, 2023 5:17 PM

I loved it. It's a movie I would recommend watching more than once to catch the nuances.

There are so many good movies and strong performances this year it will get lost in the shuffle.

by Anonymousreply 1March 6, 2023 6:11 PM

I never thought much of Colin Farrell until "Saving Mr. Banks." I thought he was outstanding in that one.

by Anonymousreply 2March 6, 2023 6:13 PM

I have read a spoiler about the ending, and my sensibilities are too delicate to expose them to such trauma.

by Anonymousreply 3March 6, 2023 6:17 PM

That's the thing, R2!

Colin has always played tough guy or pretty boy roles, so he never really got to show off his acting ability.

This movie was the perfect vehicle for him to show what he could do, and I think he is more than deserving of the award for Best Actor in this movie.

I really recommend that anyone who hasn't see Banshees, please go and see it.

You'll fall in love with this movie and the characters.

Even Mrs. McCormick!

by Anonymousreply 4March 6, 2023 6:18 PM

Colin is really great. He began to show he could really act with In Bruges.

by Anonymousreply 5March 6, 2023 6:37 PM

Oh, if at all possible, watch this movie with the CC captioning option on.

The accents are pretty hard to understand, but having the captioning on makes it much easier.

And also makes the movie more enjoyable because you'll understand what they're saying.

by Anonymousreply 6March 6, 2023 6:48 PM

I assume the eldergays with their panties in a bunch over at the EEAAO thread are the ones heaping praise on this pretentious remake of "Darby O'Gill an the Little People."

by Anonymousreply 7March 6, 2023 6:50 PM

This movie needed nude scenes and not the one grotesque nude scene.

by Anonymousreply 8March 6, 2023 7:06 PM

R8, halfway through the movie I thought that Padraic was going to profess his love for Colm.

But it just ended up being a platonic friendship.

by Anonymousreply 9March 6, 2023 9:20 PM

[quote] I assume the eldergays with their panties in a bunch over at the EEAAO thread are the ones heaping praise on this pretentious remake of "Darby O'Gill an the Little People."

Why are you so threatened by this movie?

Is it because white people are in it?

by Anonymousreply 10March 6, 2023 9:21 PM

R10 Ignore them, it’s the EEAO shill in all the threads crying racism if someone criticizes the movie. I’ve had them ignored for weeks now.

by Anonymousreply 11March 6, 2023 9:26 PM

It's my favorite movie of the year. Unfortunately, I think the Oscar momentum has shifted away from it.

by Anonymousreply 12March 6, 2023 9:31 PM

Agree, R12.

2023 is the year of the Woke.

by Anonymousreply 13March 6, 2023 9:33 PM

[quote]halfway through the movie I thought that Padraic was going to profess his love for Colm.

I don't know - while the movie doesn't really pursue that idea, I think it's possible he did love Colm since he acted like a spurned woman. I thought it was entertaining, certainly beautiful and it reminded me what a gem Kerry Condon is (she was great in Rome), but the 2nd round of "clippings", I was seriously considering turning it off. And it was sad at the end that poor, simple Padraic was a broken, lonely angry man.

by Anonymousreply 14March 6, 2023 11:56 PM

A "lovely little movie?" People chopping off fingers, burning down houses, beating each other in a boggy morass of Irish shtick in a Beckett/Stoppard mash-up.

Twas shite.

by Anonymousreply 15March 7, 2023 8:29 AM

R12. Did it every really have Oscar momentum?

People are saying it's great but it's a little late in the season for that. It hasn't been buzzing for a while like Tár or EEAAO.

by Anonymousreply 16March 7, 2023 9:26 AM

I didn't really like it. The story was rather cartoonish and boring, but the acting was very good. Nice scenery too.

by Anonymousreply 17March 7, 2023 10:15 AM

I loved Jenny the Donkey.

So adorable!

Also, do Irish people always call each other by multiple names like JoJon and ColmSonnyLarry?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 7, 2023 10:54 AM

Yes, the setting helped---a lot. So did the accents and the animals.

But having seen both this movie and "Elvis," I don't think that Colin displayed even the same range of emotions as did Austin, never mind more. To me, Colin's eyebrows did the acting.

Colin never aged, let alone from a naive joyful youth of 19 to a grown-up world-weary man of 42 who, seeing his family leave, still smiled for his fans. Yes, Colin expressed intense anger, but coldly; whereas Austin expressed both cold fury with his tone and visage as well as white-hot rage, showing how that latter type builds to a necessary physical release. Colin is never called on to show romantic and/or sexual attraction to a woman. Colin remains clear-headed, whereas Austin shows the effects of addiction, from subtle to outright bodily collapse.

Both movies show the utter breakdown of the relationship between two men, but the utter betrayal by Col. Parker of Elvis is multi-faceted, and thus requires a multi-faceted reaction from Austin. Where, at the end, is Colin's sorrow

Don't even get me started on the literal performing aspects.

Colin (and Brendan F.) had the advantage over Austin of portraying a fictional character, whereas Austin was and is being nitpickingly compared to a man everybody thinks they "know," while those that really did have praised Austin's depiction.

In the end, each movie gave us the milieu of its main character, one setting's being restrictive, isolated, spare, and static; the other's being expansive, crowded, colorful, and fast-paced. One is a time capsule; the other is time-travel. One merely hints at its historic context; which Colin's Padaic ignores; the other uses its social context as a main framing device to which Austin as Elvis reacts emotionally as well as artistically.

Finally, one movie relied on a grotesque gimmick to advance its plot and character development, whereas the other dealt with the reality, crazy as it was, of its protagonist.

by Anonymousreply 19March 7, 2023 11:13 AM

R19 Get a blog.

This was my favorite film of the year and in a just world would sweep the Oscars. Instead a film about buttplugs and laundromats will win. Kerry Condon was wonderful and second only to Jenny the Donkey in best supporting this year.

by Anonymousreply 20March 7, 2023 1:20 PM

[quote]2023 is the year of the Woke.

You're right. White people just can't catch a break.

by Anonymousreply 21March 7, 2023 2:18 PM

I was bored to distraction after forty-five minutes and bailed.

Most overhyped movie since “La La Land”.

by Anonymousreply 22March 7, 2023 2:29 PM

McDonagh is HAF though. Playwrights are usually not a good looking bunch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 7, 2023 2:47 PM

Funny that Martin is not even Irish. He is Irish adjacent but in the US critics think of him as this authentic Irish voice, which is hilarious. And it took all the way until r13 for the w-word to appear.

by Anonymousreply 24March 7, 2023 2:57 PM

White Americans have a hardon for Irishness because they long to be ethnic themselves, rather than an absence of ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 25March 7, 2023 3:01 PM

R23 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 7, 2023 5:02 PM

I tried, but I'm like R3, and I bailed out halfway through, a few scenes after the first time "it" happened. I realized I just don't like Martin McDonagh's work, having suffered through "The Beauty Queen of Leenane" and "In Bruges." That cruel dark humor isn't for me, although I do appreciate the performances and the direction.

by Anonymousreply 27March 7, 2023 5:13 PM

It doesn't hold a candle to In Bruges.

by Anonymousreply 28March 7, 2023 6:56 PM

The over the top actions of one of the leads in this film reminded me of Frances Macdormand's cartoon character in that '3 Billboards...' piece of crap.

by Anonymousreply 29March 7, 2023 9:07 PM

R29, Do you want us to guess?

by Anonymousreply 30March 7, 2023 9:10 PM

😂No, R30, I just didn't want to spoil anything.

by Anonymousreply 31March 7, 2023 9:12 PM

Martin McDonagh is definitely hot.

I had no idea he write Seven Psychopaths, In Bruges, and Seven Billboards.

This guy is amazing.

He's like the Cate Blanchett and Meryl Streep of Directors!

And hot, too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 7, 2023 9:41 PM

It was boring and overhyped. I was so excited to see it, because I loved In Bruges, but there really wasn't that much "there."

by Anonymousreply 33March 8, 2023 1:40 AM

Rooting for Colin on Sunday!

by Anonymousreply 34March 8, 2023 2:30 AM

R34 I’d like to get rooted by Colin on Sunday!

by Anonymousreply 35March 8, 2023 2:35 AM

OP, I have no interest in watching squabbling neighbors fight.

by Anonymousreply 36March 8, 2023 2:40 AM

R36 *as she twitches the net curtain at the window overlooking the neighbor’s yard*

by Anonymousreply 37March 8, 2023 2:42 AM

There are some movies that are not made for watching on planes.

And this is one.

Planes are noisy and have small screens.

This movie needed quiet and a big screen.

by Anonymousreply 38March 8, 2023 2:46 AM

How do you pronounce the title?

by Anonymousreply 39March 8, 2023 2:47 AM

Here you go, R35.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 8, 2023 2:58 AM

Does it have a nepo baby cocaine bear in it?

by Anonymousreply 41March 8, 2023 3:16 AM

R20, Some people need more than a flippant remark to understand an argument.

by Anonymousreply 42March 8, 2023 3:35 AM

I really thought that when the Witch said someone "was going to die," that it would either be Padraic or his sister.

So it's nice that neither of them did.

by Anonymousreply 43March 9, 2023 3:15 AM

I think Colin and Brendan deserve their respective acting nominations. But there's no logic to the core of the story. A longtime friend suddenly decides to freeze the other out? And on a remote island?

And the finger business didn't make sense. Especially for a man who plays the fiddle.

I wanted to love this movie but just couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 44March 9, 2023 4:22 AM

[quote] And the finger business didn't make sense. Especially for a man who plays the fiddle.

It's an "old world" and "old country" sort of behavior and mentality.

To show the seriousness of what you mean.

And the part about one friend "freezing out" the other friend is self-explanatory.

He's a man at the end of his life who feels like he's wasting what little time he has left, by sitting around shooting the shit with some boring guy who talks about nothing important.

So he decides to be around people who are worth his time, which is why he decides to return to music with the singers and other band members playing in the pub.

by Anonymousreply 45March 9, 2023 4:27 AM

R1 I literally just did the same thing. Watched it today on an AA flight. If it wasn’t on the plane, I definitely wouldn’t have made it through. I haven’t really vibed with any of Martin McDonough’s films, though this was probably the best of the lot. I’m DYING to know what you describe as the “twist” at the end. I didn’t find anything twisty or surprising, and don’t think that was the intent anyway

by Anonymousreply 46March 9, 2023 4:28 AM

R6 once you realize they say “so” instead of “then”, and inexplicably use “like” at the end of every other sentence, you can decipher the accents pretty easily.

Another tip is that almost every line of dialogue is repeated immediately. Most exchanges between characters are just them saying the same line back and forth two or three times to each other.

by Anonymousreply 47March 9, 2023 4:31 AM

R45 When he lops all of his fingers off he describes it as a “relief”. I think it helped him ease the anxiety about not having produced any artistically significant music, since he no longer could anyway.

by Anonymousreply 48March 9, 2023 4:33 AM

I would love to see Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Kerry Condon sweep the Academy Awards in a HUGE fuck you to EEAAO.

And then win Best Picture as the cherry on top.

I think I'd shoot my load, right then and there. Just out of sheer happiness.

by Anonymousreply 49March 10, 2023 1:13 AM

[quote] Ireland’s ‘most beautiful beach’ was Insta-famous before its film debut

On Sunday night, Martin McDonagh’s film The Banshees of Inisherin will be up for nine Oscars, making it the most nominated Irish movie in the ceremony’s history. In theory, all of its lead actors could come home with a statuette, but there’s one key role that won’t be celebrated – the landscape that’s as integral to the film as Colin Farrell himself.

Along with the Aran island of Inis Mór, Achill, which is connected to the County Mayo mainland by bridge, played the part of fictional Inisherin in the movie (Inis means island in Irish). And though the house that Pádraic (Colin Farrell) shared with his sister Siobhan (Kerry Condon) was set on Inis Mór, Achill did much of the hard graft, being home to the pub, the harbour, Colm’s house and the atmospheric lake on whose shores the banshee-like Mrs McCormick lives.

All this has led to an influx of tourists and a map specially created for them to trace the key locations around the island. You need a car or a bike to do it though. The film may be a study in claustrophobia but the world feels vast on Achill, Ireland’s largest island, which comes with empty roads, huge skies and nothing but a great expanse of Atlantic until Newfoundland. Whether you’ve seen The Banshees of Inisherin or not, it’s worth exploring.

Nowhere does the ocean roar harder than Atlantic Drive, the wild coast road which was temporarily home to the JJ Devine pub where Pádraic and Colm met (or latterly didn’t) in the movie. Like most of the sets, it was dismantled when filming finished, leaving a blank space with a blustery view of zigzagging cliffs.

But Achill doesn’t need film sets to be dramatic. It’s one of the most arresting places I’ve ever visited. Graham Greene thought so too: his time with lover Catherine Walston in the little village of Dooagh prompted a creative burst that led to parts of The Heart of the Matter.

Describing a recent surge in visitors, Chris McCarthy, who heads up Achill Tourism, acknowledges: “We’re lucky lieutenants who’ve had a phenomenal break.” Though it was relatively quiet in February when I travelled, it was easy to spot the Americans at Achill Island Hotel and the influencers hopping between locations clutching mics and cameras.

Near the mainland, the landscape blistered with gorse blossom and the roads came hedged in towering rhododendrons. But by the time I reached Keel, at the other end of the island where most tourists stay, the environment had been tamed somewhat. Sheep feasted on the flattened grass of the golf club and signs advertised the town’s B&Bs.

In the ice of a dazzlingly bright winter morning, the town smelled of wood smoke, or perhaps it was turf: some islanders still harvest it from Achill’s bogs for fuel. Keel’s few cafes were closed until at least 11, so I grabbed a coffee and croissant from the smart general store and headed to the beach.

It may not be part of the Banshees location trail but Keel Beach is one of the stars of Achill, up there with the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen. Dunes segue to pebbles, sand, sea and silhouetted cliff. Along its two-mile expanse, the waves seem widescreen.

On the day I visited, it was empty save for three teenagers who arrived in robes and bikinis and then leapt joyfully into the icy water, their shouts lost in the ocean’s clatter. But Keel is at the heart of Achill’s community. On St Patrick’s Day, there’s nowhere busier. Celebrations start at 6am in inky darkness when a drum wakes the residents; by mid-morning, pipe bands have embarked on a competing cacophony outside the church.

McCarthy tells me the pipes are an import from Scotland, where Achill residents used to seek work potato picking. A plaque on Atlantic Drive commemorates Achill’s women “who coped with loneliness and hardship” while the island’s men went off in search of jobs. Life on the island was so hard that many emigrated after the Great Famine, leaving their homes, just as (spoiler!) Siobhan leaves Inisherin in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 10, 2023 1:58 AM

“You couldn’t sustain yourself here,” said McCarthy. “It’s still hard. As one American visitor remarked to me, ‘there are a lot of side hustles going on’.”

While we walked between the ruins of Slievemore, a deserted village of once-thatched cottages, Gerard Mangan, who has lived on Achill since childhood and now acts as a guide to the island, told me that many husbands came back just twice a year at Christmas and Easter. Only the tumbledown outlines of Slievemore’s houses remain but it’s clear that they were even smaller than the ones in The Banshees of Inisherin, with as many as 12 family members sleeping, eating and living in one cramped room.

“My grandma grew up over there,” Mangan told me, pointing at a house in the valley below the village with the sea beyond. “She used to walk all the way to Sligo in her bare feet.”

A quarter of an hour’s drive away on Keem Beach, a different type of house stands sentinel. Colm Doherty’s home, central to the plot of The Banshees of Inisherin, wasn’t pulled down after filming because, as an old fisherman’s shack, it stood on the shore long before the crew arrived.

Keem was Insta-famous before the film too. Regularly named Ireland’s most beautiful beach, it can get so busy in summer that the road to it closes. Even in winter, the sea glows a beguiling Caribbean turquoise against its creamy sand.

As recently as the 1950s, Achill’s men caught basking sharks here, rowing out in wooden boats half the size of the fish to secure them with ropes so that they could sell their oil and fins. Despite a David and Goliath-like size difference, Mangan told me that no fishermen were ever killed in the tussle: depending on who you believe, that was either down to the protection of St Patrick or the docile nature of the sharks.

Like McDonagh’s film, Achill’s landscape brims with stories, truths embellished with fairytales and folklore. Behind Corrymore Lake, where some of the film’s most poignant action takes place, there’s another lake called The Mermaid’s Looking Glass, an allegedly bottomless expanse with water of the deepest blue. You have to walk over the hill to find it – there are no signs and no roads that lead there.

And it’s hard to sort fact from fiction regarding Achill’s old Protestant colony, run by Edward Nangle in the 1830s and 1840s. By some accounts, it saved many from death by famine but the zealous Nangle demanded conversion in return (it now looks like a typical village, albeit hidden in one of the scrubbier, less photogenic bits of the island).

In the tiny aquarium and visitor centre, there are countless more intriguing tales from below the local water line – the starfish that clone themselves to reproduce, the albino lobster who is mysteriously turning blue and the sulking male cuckoo wrasse that may be transforming back into a female at the bottom of its tank.

Both Mangan and McCarthy have met characters like those in the film, leaving McCarthy in particular to muse on the mental health issues that it raised. Although, as he put it: “We have artists around. We’ve had floating artists. To the locals, they would all have been mad, painting for hours with work to be done.”

The locals, however, just let them get on with it. They did the same for Colin Farrell, who went about his life without being bothered while he was filming, living in a little house near Slievemore.

by Anonymousreply 51March 10, 2023 1:59 AM

Okay. And?

by Anonymousreply 52March 10, 2023 2:03 AM

Dream on, R49, it’s going to be Asian Night on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 53March 10, 2023 6:21 AM

You're right, R53.

For my Oscar Party I'm having General Tso's chicken, Mongolian Beef, Crab Rangoon, Bat Soup, and Donkey sandwiches in honor of all orientals.

Hollywood doesn't belong to white people any more.

The orientals have taken over.

by Anonymousreply 54March 10, 2023 8:37 PM

I'm going to have classic Irish cuisine. White Pudding, Brown Pudding, Black Pudding, Tripe, Blood Sausage, Crubeens, and everybody's favorite, Snouts and Entrails.

by Anonymousreply 55March 10, 2023 8:49 PM

R50/r51, What be ye on about with yer bloggy words? It's just feckin' Ireland! Pataytas and a pint! But sure and we'll be wearin' the green next Friday 'cos we love our Sainted Paddy, and the feckin' fires of Hell for any Orangemen!

by Anonymousreply 56March 10, 2023 10:24 PM

I loved this film and it's pleasant surprise to see it has received so many Academy nominations. Barry Keoghan's nom for supporting actor was also well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 57March 10, 2023 10:37 PM

If one wants a less offensively "quaint stupid loving brutal pea-brained folk of Auld Eire who appall slightly smarter Irish" view in an immensely better way, go to John Synge's "The Playboy of the Western World."

At least it isn't smug, which "Banshees of Inisherin" is.

by Anonymousreply 58March 10, 2023 10:42 PM

I agree OP. The Oscars are hardly ever surprising anymore, but I’d love to see this little film upset all of the predictions.

by Anonymousreply 59March 10, 2023 11:47 PM

R59, It won’t.

by Anonymousreply 60March 11, 2023 1:05 AM

Did, r58. "English and Irish Drama" with the late great Stanley Weintraub, 1971.

by Anonymousreply 61March 11, 2023 1:20 AM

I just watched it. My dad and my sister saw it months ago and they both loved it.

We went to Ireland five years ago for my birthday in May after my mom passed away that January. We went to ser her maternal ancestral homeland on the West Coast of Ireland. Her family came from County Mayo and Achill Island, where the movie was filmed in part. We didn't make it to the Achills, but we did visit the nearest Aran Island, which also was one of the filming locations.

So, seeing those places in a movie was moving.

What can I say about the story except 'what the fuck?' and 'this goes a long way in explaining Appachlachian people'?

It's so strange to me that I've read endless reviews about the movie's beautiful story, and the beautiful story is about rejection of a lifelong friend for no reason, self-dismemberment, character corruption and revenge. Okie dokie. I do hope there are metaphors with the old-lady reaper-banshees and the Irish Civil war that I am too dense to get.

The acting is great and the cinematography is beautiful.

I saw Tár a couple of days ago and it's my favorite of the two by far. I plan to see Everything Everywhere this week.

by Anonymousreply 62March 13, 2023 7:37 PM

Did we see the same movie? Someone dismembers himself continually because he wants to sever a friendship with another? Ludicrous, unbelievable, despicable, disgusting, revolting, and horrendous. I could not believe it.

by Anonymousreply 63March 13, 2023 7:45 PM

R63 has never heard of allegory.

by Anonymousreply 64March 13, 2023 7:48 PM

I have but it's still repulsive in the film

by Anonymousreply 65March 13, 2023 7:50 PM

OK, I just read that the movie is an allegory for the Irish Civil War, I guess the point being that Inisherin (the name means 'Island of Ireland') was divided into two lifelong friends who cared about one another and ended up in a mutually self-destructive conflict for no good reason at all, over one side just wanting to be content in the present and the other wanting to have a legacy.

by Anonymousreply 66March 13, 2023 7:51 PM

Personal conflict between males leading to violence on an isolated island as a metaphor for a war beyond their boundaries IS NOT ORIGINAL AT ALL, and has arguably been depicted better.

Has nobody read, seen, or heard of "Lord of the Flies"?

by Anonymousreply 67March 14, 2023 1:49 AM

Crap movie. Zero Oscar's. Zilch.

by Anonymousreply 68March 14, 2023 1:51 AM

R68, You've made Jenny very sad.

by Anonymousreply 69March 14, 2023 3:05 AM

R20, ME get a feckin' blog? Have you seen r50 and r51?!

by Anonymousreply 70March 14, 2023 3:10 AM

Well, W.C. Fields could have told the cast: " Never work with children or animals."

by Anonymousreply 71March 14, 2023 7:31 AM

Oscar voters prefer CCP sponsored trash.

by Anonymousreply 72March 14, 2023 7:53 AM

As if. Cry me a fucking river, troll. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

by Anonymousreply 73March 14, 2023 1:33 PM

I don't even like EEAAO *that much but the way it triggers the resentful racist white people on this thread is super entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 74March 14, 2023 7:08 PM

Quite.

by Anonymousreply 75March 14, 2023 7:40 PM

I was intrigued with it at first, but now, having sat through it maybe four times (including once with my best friend, discussing it with each other while it played), I am less than enamored with it. The film is a downer, really depressing. Like 'No Country For Old Men' and 'A Serious Man,' its storyline has no resolution, but simply more or less leaves off. That in itself doesn't bother me; I've defended films with those kinds of endings, remarking that life itself is like that. But I think it's ironic that posters who, all things being equal, would usually be bitching their heads off over that type of ending, have been instead lauding 'Inisherin' over and against 'EEAAO' as a culture wars expression of racial preference.

by Anonymousreply 76March 20, 2023 12:26 PM

[quote] its storyline has no resolution

Sorry, snowflake.

Unfortunately, many situations in life never have a resolution.

Our lives are not always sunshine and light, with rainbows shooting out of our assholes.

But that's probably why you like that pile of shit crap EEAAO so much.

It's more your cup of tea..

by Anonymousreply 77March 20, 2023 12:31 PM

▲ Ha ha, somebody didn't read the post. Much like they probably didn't watch EEAAO. ;D

by Anonymousreply 78March 20, 2023 12:34 PM

R48, If Beethoven could compose though deaf,....

by Anonymousreply 79March 20, 2023 5:28 PM

[R66]

What part of Ireland wanted the legacy and which part wanted to live in the present?

by Anonymousreply 80March 20, 2023 5:31 PM

The Academy couldn't spare one oscar for this gem.

by Anonymousreply 81March 20, 2023 5:39 PM

R81, Don't open up the "Snubbed" can o'worms.

They gave "Best Actor" while not nominating what was an essentially 3-actor movie for "Best Picture." That's like back in the day awarding Diana Ross for, say, "Best Lead Singer" while not nominating The Supremes for "Best Girl Group."

I'll stop there.

by Anonymousreply 82March 20, 2023 5:51 PM

A critical review of the film:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 20, 2023 5:52 PM

[quote] The Academy couldn't spare one oscar for this gem.

The Orientals control Hollywood now.

Just look at what they did for themselves this year.

Expect more of it in the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 20, 2023 11:51 PM

"Orientals," cuntbucket?

by Anonymousreply 85March 21, 2023 1:36 AM

[quote]The Orientals control Hollywood now.

Hollywood is controlled by rugs?

by Anonymousreply 86March 21, 2023 9:31 AM

R76 I just discussed the movie with my dad. He LOVED it and petitioned me for months to watch it.

Part of the reason he loved it is that it was filmed in part on an Irish island we visited and he loved seeing it on film. I get that. The cinematography and the landscape are marvelous.

BUT this is exactly the tone of movie that I normally might love and everyone I know would despise and tell me 'something is wrong with you.'

For example, two of my favorite movies are Melancholia and Mulholland Drive. I don't know a single person who watched either upon my recommendation and didn't hate it.

The bleakness of Banshees, the seeming pointlessness of the one friend turning on the other, is depressing to me without any real payoff. Meanwhile, people I know who typically reject bleak and hopeless movies seem to love this one. I don't get it.

The movie is redeemed somewhat to me by its allegory to the Irish civil war. But without that parallel, I don't like anything about it, although I appreciate the views and the performances.

by Anonymousreply 87March 21, 2023 10:50 AM

[quote] McDonagh gets the little stuff wrong too. Nobody speaks Irish, to this day the daily language of the Aran Islands. The Civil War unfolding on the mainland is a conflict of which the islanders claim to have no understanding. In reality, the Aran Islands had been a crucible for the violence wracking Ireland in the early 1920s. The British had tried to “invade” the islands in December 1920, having abandoned them earlier that year.

This threw me, too. The movie was filmed on one of the Aran Islands, which I visited, and the Achill Islands, which I didn't visit, but where my grandmother's immigrant grandparents moved from. While we were on Inisheer, we heard a lot of people speaking Irish. My grandmother's grandmother didn't speak English even years after having moved to the U.S.—only Irish. And while we were in Ireland, in County Mayo, we met a cousin of my mother who is in her 70s and who spent her career working as a barrister in London, but she was raised in County Mayo speaking almost exclusively Irish.

The Irish language is pervasive throughout western Ireland and especially in the outlying islands where the movie was filmed and presumably we are to assume the movie takes place. It seems very weird that the movie didn't even suggest that the people there speak Irish rather than just basic English limited by intellectual disability. Few foreign-set movies totally ignore the loval languages of their settings, and these remote areas of Ireland are as linguistically non-English as any other country, from Italy to Korea to Argentina. Very weird.

by Anonymousreply 88March 21, 2023 11:03 AM

And yet nobody, critic nor audiences, cared. They nitpicked "Elvis " for accuracy, but the 9 nominations here went unexamined, but for r88.

by Anonymousreply 89March 21, 2023 11:42 AM

The industry tends to reward both political statement and Hollywood insider types of films, The Banshees of Inisherin falling under the former.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 21, 2023 12:57 PM

Didn't it win for Best Vomiting by a Self-Absorbed Drunken Irish Asshole?

by Anonymousreply 91March 21, 2023 1:10 PM

R90, that video was helpful. Thanks.

[quote]R91: Didn't it win for Best Vomiting by a Self-Absorbed Drunken Irish Asshole?

The only vomit in the film came from Jenny the Miniature Donkey.

Looking the film over, several details struck me across the four times I watched it.

There's no trees on the island anywhere. When setting a fire, Pádraic apparently has to gather pieces of driftwood that have washed up on Inisherin. Winters there must be quite severe. How do they keep warm? There also do not seem to be any children; Dominic (Barry Keoghan) is the youngest person depicted in the film. A burial depicted in the film is quite shallow, as there only seems to be perhaps a foot-and-a-half of soil before one strikes the rock of which the whole island is composed. No electricity, no plumbing. I cannot imagine how life would be sustainable there.

Most of the characters seemed to me to be terrible people, siding with authority rather than with victims (examples being the priest and Mrs O'Riordan, who both took the side of the vile Officer Kearney).

I felt empathy for Siobhán, for Jenny the Donkey (did the poor thing have pica? She always seemed to be eating inappropriate things) and especially old Mrs McCormick, the would-be banshee. I would never have hid behind walls to avoid her.

by Anonymousreply 92March 21, 2023 1:57 PM

^You should read the book "We Don't Know Ourselves: A Personal History of Modern Ireland" - it really provides insight into what Ireland used to be like, not really all that long ago. Even after WWII when women were starting to enter the workforce, women had minimal rights (remember that Siobhan couldn't go to the pub without Padraic) and often fled to England to work as domestics, even during a time when the irish were considered second class citizens. Life was hard for women & for a single woman, it must have been unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 93March 21, 2023 2:47 PM

[quote]R93: (remember that Siobhan couldn't go to the pub without Padraic)

'Couldn't,' or simply 'didn't'? That did not come across to me in the film; it simply looked to me like the pub wasn't typically Siobhán's scene. She did actually go there without Pádraic, to try to get to the bottom of what was going on between him and Colm. Then there were also the women congregating in the pub when Colm held a musical session:

Jonjo: Well, put that stick outside anyways, and don’t be bothering the women.

Dominic: There’s women? There 𝑖𝑠 women. And good ones.

Mind you, I'm not arguing that women had rights in 1923 Ireland; I just didn't notice the film spelling any of this out. It's kind of a male-centric narrative.

by Anonymousreply 94March 21, 2023 3:01 PM

BTW, I appreciate the book recommendation, R93.

by Anonymousreply 95March 21, 2023 3:09 PM

In the early 1970s, Dublin pubs legally refused to serve women pints of beer unless they were accompanied by a male chaperone. Pints were considered “unladylike.” Some pubs wouldn’t even admit women at all.

If you recall in the movie, Siobhán wanted to go to the pub, but Padraic is pouting over his falling out with Colm and wants to stay home with his donkey. And women could go to the pub - they just had to be accompanied by a man.

by Anonymousreply 96March 21, 2023 3:27 PM

R92, there are children in one scene.

After punching Padraic, the pedo cop pinches the cheek of a little boy sitting nearby with a little girl.

by Anonymousreply 97March 21, 2023 4:32 PM

Farrell's, bar in Brooklyn, wouldn't allow woman to drink at the bar into the 1960s. The story goes that Pete Hamil brought Shirley Mclaine there who put a kabash on that rule once and for all. The bar is still there and will be 100 years old.

I went to Ireland in 1978 and stayed in a small village for a few weeks. What I found the most interesting is that it had its own fables and folklore about its history and landmarks. I saw the Banshee of Inisherin as a mix of fable, metaphor and typical narrative. It really invites the viewer to create a story and give meaning to all the elements, as we do with the drama and tragedies in our life. I thought the performances were superb and the cinematography often sublime.

by Anonymousreply 98March 21, 2023 7:19 PM

The heated their homes with peat, shipped across the water from the Connemara bogs.

Also the islands were densely forested in early times. The residents used up all the forests and then the soil was washed away. The later inhabitants recreated soil over many years. They used sand, seaweed, fish, and animal and human shit.

by Anonymousreply 99March 21, 2023 7:42 PM

[quote]R97: After punching Padraic, the pedo cop pinches the cheek of a little boy sitting nearby with a little girl.

You're right. I had seen that - I had just forgotten it.

[quote]R99: The heated their homes with peat, shipped across the water from the Connemara bogs.

Purchased with what? What resources could the island - let's say County Mayo or Inishmore, since Inisherin is fictional - use to purchase peat?

[quote]Also the islands were densely forested in early times. The residents used up all the forests and then the soil was washed away.

To be sure. Looking at it on film, I thought of Easter Island.

[quote]The later inhabitants recreated soil over many years. They used sand, seaweed, fish, and animal and human shit.

But why do it at all? It just seems to me that almost anywhere else would be better.

by Anonymousreply 100March 22, 2023 2:14 AM

I hope I'm not r90, because the politically-framed "Banshees" and "Elvis" went completely unrewarded on March twelfth.

by Anonymousreply 101March 22, 2023 8:54 AM

r101, They were rewarded with nine and eight nominations, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 102March 22, 2023 2:18 PM

R102, They won exactly what they deserved.

by Anonymousreply 103March 22, 2023 2:22 PM

R100 your questions are interesting and I don't have the answers as I'm not an Irish historian. I gave answers to earlier questions by looking for the information online.

But you underestimate humans' connection to land, that they feel is theirs. And you underestimate the hardscrabble life people expected to live, so they lived it. They didn't know anything else. Those islands have been inhabited for THOUSANDS of years.

I believe the soil was rebuilt hundreds of years ago. Within the low walls. It wasn't like the 1800s or the industrial revolution when peasants may have had some hope for a better life elsewhere by migrating.

by Anonymousreply 104March 22, 2023 5:10 PM

Maybe they traded their fine Irish peasant butts and cooters for the peat? Who knows. Fish?

by Anonymousreply 105March 22, 2023 5:11 PM

For example, the walls: "These are thought to date from the late Bronze age (1100BC) through to the Iron age (300BC-500AD)."

OLD

by Anonymousreply 106March 22, 2023 5:13 PM

Apparently seaweed burns, but smells horrible.

by Anonymousreply 107March 22, 2023 5:15 PM

The last (late) monolingual Irish speaker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108March 22, 2023 5:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!