Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Booked a particular hotel room for a trip to Europe

I requested a specific room by its name, received a confirmation of my reservation stating that the "room type" under its name was reserved to me, but I also saw it stated: "All room preferences and requests are subject to availability and cannot be confirmed until check-in."

I emailed the hotel for exact confirmation of the room but haven't heard back. I really want that specific room. And no, I'm not the character from the first season of "The White Lotus," so spare me that reference. Anyway, I hope they won't deny me the room I supposedly already have.

It's a few months away, in spring.

by Anonymousreply 95June 1, 2023 2:19 PM

I read this post with great interest and concern, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1March 3, 2023 1:33 AM

Uh-huh, R1. It's my first real trip since before the pandemic. Sue me for wanting to stay in a room (for a big birthday coming up) that I've wanted to stay years in.

by Anonymousreply 2March 3, 2023 1:36 AM

Yawn...

Sue me!

by Anonymousreply 3March 3, 2023 1:37 AM

OP, just call the hotel and speak to them.

Tell them that you will not be making the trip if they will not guarantee the room. They may or may not guarantee it but at least you will know. If this is a dealbreaker for the trip, that's it and you can change your plans accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 4March 3, 2023 1:40 AM

I'm just wondering if anyone knows from their own experience if there will be an issue. That's all. The room costs more than some of the others so there's a matter of that as well.

by Anonymousreply 5March 3, 2023 1:40 AM

Why are you telling us this?

by Anonymousreply 6March 3, 2023 1:41 AM

Yeah, R4, calling them was my next step. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 7March 3, 2023 1:41 AM

Which one is it OP? The one Toddy and Victor stayed in during his Paris engagement?

by Anonymousreply 8March 3, 2023 1:41 AM

You're setting yourself up for a room beside the elevator, especially when you earnestly tell the desk clerk that 'its your birthday' (what are you - 9 years old?)

by Anonymousreply 9March 3, 2023 1:43 AM

R9, there are no such rooms in this hotel. They're all very nice.

by Anonymousreply 10March 3, 2023 1:44 AM

Isn’t it just a standard disclaimer? It covers the hotel if the room isn’t available for some emergency maintenance issue (the previous guest broke the bed, stained the carpet, blocked the drain etc) .

by Anonymousreply 11March 3, 2023 1:47 AM

In my experience it is unusual for a hotel to commit to a specific room so far out -- a guest may extend their stay in that room, it may be part of a block of rooms booked by a large party, etc. Assuming this is not the Presidential Suite or some one-of-a-kind situation like that.

by Anonymousreply 12March 3, 2023 1:48 AM

I hope so, R11.

by Anonymousreply 13March 3, 2023 1:49 AM

R12, it is kind of like a presidential suite--meaning it's a desired room.

by Anonymousreply 14March 3, 2023 1:50 AM

You clearly didn’t travel much even pre-pandemic…good luck with that shit

by Anonymousreply 15March 3, 2023 1:50 AM

Yeah, I did, R15. Plenty.

What are you trying to say, R15?

by Anonymousreply 16March 3, 2023 1:52 AM

I had a similar experience in Morocco. Every room is different but they are banded into three or four classes and they would only guarantee the class. The owner was an ass, but the woman who actually ran the riad was fantastic and understood I was coming back to stay in the same room I’d had before. I tried to win her over by praising the room and not by threatening to go elsewhere.

But I don’t understand how they can charge you more for the room and then not ensure you get it.

by Anonymousreply 17March 3, 2023 1:53 AM

I am Miss Charlotte Bartlett and I must absolutely insist that you confirm indisputably that I shall have a room with a view. Conferma,,, di una camera con VISTA!

by Anonymousreply 18March 3, 2023 1:56 AM

R18, I love that movie!

by Anonymousreply 19March 3, 2023 1:58 AM

I’m saying anyone truly expecting a particular room, by specific # (or name) is blind to the reality of you can’t always get what you want. That’s what I’m saying.

by Anonymousreply 20March 3, 2023 1:58 AM

I'm not blind to that possibility, clearly, R20.

by Anonymousreply 21March 3, 2023 1:59 AM

Now I'm curious what's so great about this room. Is it a view thing or what? What's so great about?

by Anonymousreply 22March 3, 2023 2:00 AM

R22, it's partly that.

by Anonymousreply 23March 3, 2023 2:01 AM

[quote]you can’t always get what you want.

What Meghan wants, Meghan gets!

by Anonymousreply 24March 3, 2023 2:02 AM

Not clear at all—you asked, we all answered. Write to Ann Landers if you want sympathy…we don’t go for that here.

by Anonymousreply 25March 3, 2023 2:03 AM

OP/R19, from your response one can see that you ARE Miss Charlotte Bartlett, at least before the scales fell from her eyes at the understanding of what young love can mean.

And a hundred dollar bill gets one anything in this form of control fulfillment.

by Anonymousreply 26March 3, 2023 2:05 AM

I don't believe I asked for sympathy, R25. I asked what others' experience might be in a similar situation.

by Anonymousreply 27March 3, 2023 2:06 AM

And we others are telling you that your request is likely to be ignored or overridden… keep up. That’s it, that’s the whole story.

by Anonymousreply 28March 3, 2023 2:10 AM

We'll see, R28.

by Anonymousreply 29March 3, 2023 2:12 AM

Sigh. So many bitter people.

by Anonymousreply 30March 3, 2023 2:13 AM

Has anyone on here actually used money to get the front desk clerk to upgrade your room. I just think I wouldn't be cool enough to make the move. I'd pull out a $20 and get laughed at, especially if the front desk clerk is one of those snooty gay desk clerks.

by Anonymousreply 31March 3, 2023 2:14 AM

Well let us know OP, if you don't get your desired room. I'll then alert the media.

by Anonymousreply 32March 3, 2023 2:17 AM

Another movie reference, or at least a movie line. Keep 'em coming!

by Anonymousreply 33March 3, 2023 2:18 AM

Better yet, don’t tell us..make us wonder for years.. some day there will be a new thread. Whatever happened too. The dude who insistent some “named” room in a hotel—was he a sniper?

by Anonymousreply 34March 3, 2023 2:19 AM

The rooms with slings get booked up quickly, OP.

by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2023 2:21 AM

If I don't get the room I requested I'll kill myself in the hotel lobby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2023 2:22 AM

OP: the one place you’ll have luck: Madonna Inn—maybe you should skip Europe and head to SLO. Your type are numerous there.

by Anonymousreply 37March 3, 2023 2:25 AM

My "type"! Oh, my.

by Anonymousreply 38March 3, 2023 2:26 AM

SLO, R37?

by Anonymousreply 39March 3, 2023 2:29 AM

San Luis Obispo?

by Anonymousreply 40March 3, 2023 2:30 AM

Where else might the Madonna Inn be found? The hotel is known exactly because of the “named” rooms…right up OP’s alley.

by Anonymousreply 41March 3, 2023 2:33 AM

How obscure.

by Anonymousreply 42March 3, 2023 2:33 AM

I don’t often request a specific hotel room though I have done so a handful of times. In the cases where my request was not honored, I was always given a room that was equivalent or better.

OP, if you are the kind of traveler who’ll wig out over something this trivial, you might consider staying home.

I mean, think about it. You book a specific room (a room with a “name,” no less) for two nights or five nights. Then a request comes in for that very same room for a week or longer. Do you honestly think it’s reasonable for a business to commit to you and forfeit that additional $$$?

by Anonymousreply 43March 3, 2023 2:36 AM

[quote] Where else might the Madonna Inn be found?

Vegas? San Luis Obispo doesn't jump to mind, R41. Siunds like you know more about such things than any of us.

by Anonymousreply 44March 3, 2023 2:37 AM

[quote] OP, if you are the kind of traveler who’ll wig out over something this trivial

I'm not, R43. Where does everybody jump to these conclusions? I said I want it, and I paid for it. I neither said it would ruin my trip nor that I would cancel.

by Anonymousreply 45March 3, 2023 2:38 AM

I SAID I WANT IT AND I PAID FOR IT!!

by Anonymousreply 46March 3, 2023 2:48 AM

I didn't raise my voice, R46.

by Anonymousreply 47March 3, 2023 2:50 AM

I always ask if the hotel has a Hello Kitty room available. If they say "no", I move on.

by Anonymousreply 48March 3, 2023 10:09 AM

When's your vacation? Please update us.

by Anonymousreply 49March 3, 2023 1:55 PM

In a few months, R49. Thanks, I will.

by Anonymousreply 50March 3, 2023 3:56 PM

I’m not holding m Brest—but when you read about an American sniper at a 3-star European hotel, later this summer…you’ll be 🤔

by Anonymousreply 51March 3, 2023 4:37 PM

#neither my Brest nor my BREATH

by Anonymousreply 52March 3, 2023 4:37 PM

Your reservation doesn’t guarantee the room you have requested. You are well aware that there is a chance you will not get it. If that’s too much of a grey area for you to accept, find another hotel. What are you hoping for here? Are you going to show the check in desk this thread upon arrival or something? If you’re concerned about cost, capture room prices for different rooms - you may have a point about there if you end up in a lesser priced room class.

by Anonymousreply 53March 3, 2023 4:46 PM

^^You may have a point there*

by Anonymousreply 54March 3, 2023 4:47 PM

I won't accept a roomthat goes for a lot less than what I paid. That would be bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 55March 3, 2023 5:11 PM

[quote] Your reservation doesn’t guarantee the room you have requested. You are well aware that there is a chance you will not get it. If that’s too much of a grey area for you to accept, find another hotel. What are you hoping for here? Are you going to show the check in desk this thread upon arrival or something?

R53, I have already answered all this. Why are you bitchily regurgitating?

by Anonymousreply 56March 3, 2023 5:18 PM

R56 Because your original post (if you’re the OP) is Dumb. There’s one eternal truth here @ DL, you get only what you pay for (…or deserve?.

by Anonymousreply 57March 3, 2023 5:59 PM

That's why you're a bitch, R57? If I get what I pay for and what I deserve, thenI will get the room I want. If I don't, I will deal with it, as I've said already. I hardly think it's unreasonable to want what I paid for, but understanding the vagaries of hotel booking, I am prepared. Now please stop thinking you're fit to give me advice about anything unless you've been in a similar circumstance to what I'm describing. If not, fuck off. Thanks a bunch, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 58March 3, 2023 6:13 PM

I must say it's a terrible disappointment when one books a lake or sea view in a magnificent hotel and a garden view is provided instead. That one burns.

I think the only way to up one's chances of getting a requested room is to stay fairly long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 3, 2023 6:34 PM

WHAT ABOUT ME??? WHAT ABOUT MY NEEDS???

by Anonymousreply 60March 3, 2023 6:36 PM

[quote] If I get what I pay for and what I deserve, thenI will get the room I want.

And to think people here are calling you "entitled"! It seems hard to believe!

by Anonymousreply 61March 3, 2023 6:37 PM

R61, that's entitled? What are you--a doormat? Do YOU not want something you've paid for?

by Anonymousreply 62March 3, 2023 6:41 PM

R61 is a n American accustomed to poor service across the board in daily life.

by Anonymousreply 63March 3, 2023 6:53 PM

Looks like, R63--then they resenting another American who doesn't want the same for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 64March 3, 2023 6:54 PM

*then they resent

by Anonymousreply 65March 3, 2023 6:56 PM

I’ve not had good experiences when re

by Anonymousreply 66March 3, 2023 7:01 PM

Try again. I’ve not had good experiences with requesting a specific room.

But I suggest you call Nd speak to someone at the desk. If you’re really nice, I bet at the least they can give you a decent sense of how likely it is that you will get the room.

by Anonymousreply 67March 3, 2023 7:02 PM

I had had several stays at a hotel which prided itself on pleasing its clients. Because I would stay for several days and liked to work out in their little gym, I thought it would be convenient to have a particular room which was closest to the gym (I don't particularly like strolling through the corridors of a hotel in my gym togs); this room also had the benefit of being close to the front desk, so I wouldn't have to lug my bags so far (yes, I know--I could make use of a bellhop; but I like to do it myself when possible). I made the reservation months in advance, telling the reservation clerk my request, which was noted in my e-file there, and it was confirmed. Months pass. I arrive , a little early, and they tell me my room isn't quite ready, so could I wait for an hour. Yes, no problem. I kill time happily anticipating, and then come back. "No, you can't have that room," and so they put me into another.

TL;DR: The point of my novel: [i]Even if they confirm when you arrive and check in, they won't necessarily give you the room you requested.[/i]

by Anonymousreply 68March 3, 2023 7:07 PM

R68 needs to work through some issues

by Anonymousreply 69March 3, 2023 7:16 PM

Good advice, Thanks, R67.

by Anonymousreply 70March 3, 2023 7:24 PM

The signora distinctly wrote "South rooms, with a view and close together", instead of which she has given us North rooms without a view and a long way apart.

by Anonymousreply 71March 3, 2023 7:32 PM

OP checking in to his "rheum".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 3, 2023 7:47 PM

From a 4 million mile international business traveler - Yes, you may get the specific room you requested but only if it is vacant when you check in. The hotel will not move a guest already in that room to accommodate your request, nor will they block the room days in advance just to ensure it is vacant and available the day you check-in. Most hotels these days subscribe to various online hotel booking groups and affiliates, so it is impossible for them to know which exact rooms will be available the day (and hour) you check in at the property.

If you are a leisure traveler who has booked a room at a steep discount on one of the online booking sites, do not expect to get a preferred room (high floor, premium view, etc). The hotel saves those for frequent guests, usually business account types paying full rack rate, who typically spend a lot of money in the hotel's bar, restaurant, spa, etc.

by Anonymousreply 73March 3, 2023 8:16 PM

Go to Tehran and tell them Allah sucks devil dicks.

You'll have a wonderful view, until they push you off the roof.

by Anonymousreply 74March 3, 2023 8:23 PM

OP, What's the most detail you might give us as to location?

by Anonymousreply 75March 3, 2023 8:24 PM

OP is a neurotic idiot. No need to book so far in advance. Of course they won't commit. Then he'll annoy them so much they won't give it to him out of spite. Hope his trip goes horribly.

by Anonymousreply 76March 3, 2023 8:26 PM

Who would wish OP a horrible trip?. You type quite deranged.

by Anonymousreply 77March 3, 2023 8:36 PM

Stay in contact with the hotel. Be very friendly and have a good sense of humor. I bet if they can't accommodate your requested room, they will provide a similar type room/ view. Traveling is a crapshoot. I booked a 4 star hotel in Istanbul and they switched it to a 3 star for the same price. Go with the flow and sometimes the unexpected can be fun and interesting and maybe even better.. It's not the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 78March 3, 2023 9:25 PM

Please - even back in the days where customer service existed (pre-pandemic), I would have never counted on getting a requested room. Now - no way. Don’t set yourself up for anxiety and disappointment. It can end up ruining your trip.

by Anonymousreply 79March 3, 2023 11:52 PM

OP Have Katharine Parker call Helmut to straighten it out.

by Anonymousreply 80March 3, 2023 11:54 PM

I truly hope that this is the worst problem in your life, OP. Most folks have way more serious problems.

Seriously, though. Don't be "the obnoxious American" with them. That's one way to guarantee you WON'T be in that room.

by Anonymousreply 81March 3, 2023 11:57 PM

Well advised, r78! A "wrong" room could be the source of a lifelong anecdote of, "Just think; we never would have met if...."!

by Anonymousreply 82March 4, 2023 12:39 AM

"From a 4 million mile international business traveler..."

Well, smell Miss R73!

by Anonymousreply 83March 4, 2023 12:49 AM

OP here, back from my trip. I got the room I asked for. It was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 84May 31, 2023 11:35 PM

Three months later ^. Zzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 85June 1, 2023 12:04 AM

I worked at a high-end (though chain) hotel. If you're a repeat guest, they sure as hell will try to accommodate your preferences. I think that if you booked a special room (even if you're not a repeat guest), they'd try to accommodate you.

OP already paid for the room. It sounds like the room is unique within the hotel. I think the hotel should be able to confirm the availability of that specific room for that specific time frame (if you've already paid).

OP saying he or she "deserves" something does ring an alarm. I would not call the hotel with that attitude or approach.

by Anonymousreply 86June 1, 2023 12:14 AM

I'm enjoying the taste of your bitter tears of your bile and jealousy, R85.

[quote] OP saying he or she "deserves" something does ring an alarm.

Where did I say that, R86?

by Anonymousreply 87June 1, 2023 12:27 AM

At R58, there’s the word “deserve.”

by Anonymousreply 88June 1, 2023 1:01 AM

Actually, while I've ribbed the OP, establishments that name their rooms or suites, whether "Bridal," "Presidential," "Best Ocean View," or "Trixie's Bottom," should confirm definitely that the rooms are booked when requested and, at the time of booking, free.

The word "deserve" is appropriate in the sentence, "You stated the room was available, I booked it, you confirmed it, but you gave me the usual wiggle-room disclaimer. Under these circumstances, I deserve to be assured that the room, if not destroyed by a natural disaster, is mine."

Yes, being polite is best, and hotels do their best, often. But they also can be terrible, corrupt, soulless places, especially the high-end (though chain) ones.

by Anonymousreply 89June 1, 2023 1:27 AM

R88, I meant I deserved the room because I paid for it and they confirmed it, with a proviso that they then couldn't promise until I checked in that I would get it. But I did, so yay me. I didn't mean I deserved it because I'm some kind of entitled person.

by Anonymousreply 90June 1, 2023 1:38 AM

😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 91June 1, 2023 1:42 AM

He who laughs last laughs best, R91. 😂

by Anonymousreply 92June 1, 2023 1:45 AM

By the way, they also took 20 percent off the bill. I still don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 93June 1, 2023 1:46 AM

The right of substitution is fairly standard fine print in dealings with hotels. Call them, speak to someone with some authority, and after email them to reiterate the conversation and you thanks.

Hotel staff are in the business of catering to clients, they even enjoy doing so to a kind client.

by Anonymousreply 94June 1, 2023 2:15 PM

And I didn't have to do any of that, R94.

by Anonymousreply 95June 1, 2023 2:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!