Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

bacon grease as salad dressing!

around 2:15, what do you say?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 3, 2023 11:46 PM

Fat whores rejoice. Thank you, Nigella!

by Anonymousreply 1March 2, 2023 8:05 AM

He was being served a large salad and was suddenly engulfed in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 2March 2, 2023 8:25 AM

I put it on my pancakes.

by Anonymousreply 3March 2, 2023 8:32 AM

My mom used to make a warm, wilted German salad with bacon grease, a splash of vinegar and a little sugar. It was really good. This looks to be similar, except for the cheese.

by Anonymousreply 4March 2, 2023 8:36 AM

It's essentially what's happening with all those "somehow brussels sprouts sauteed in bacon fat and salted are delicious!" vegetable recipes.

by Anonymousreply 5March 2, 2023 8:37 AM

R4, I know that recipe and it's amazing. I actually had a dressing tonight that had bacon grease in it and it was delicious. I don't know what OPs link says, but you don't just pour liquified pig fat on your salad, it's usually a single ingredient among multiple in the dressing.

by Anonymousreply 6March 2, 2023 8:47 AM

[quote]you don't just pour liquified pig fat on your salad

Oh you speak for yourself there, R6.

by Anonymousreply 7March 2, 2023 8:52 AM

R7 that made me laugh so hard. Thanks and time for bed.

by Anonymousreply 8March 2, 2023 8:53 AM

Ha ha, time for bed for me, too. Night night!

by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2023 8:54 AM

She pours off the bacon fat into the greens, then heats up dijon and vinegar and pours them on next, and I don't agree with that much; the grease needs to emulsify along with the dijon and vinegar.

She also adds extra olive oil to the pan, when the rendered fat from the bacon should be all you need. But it's Nigella and I love her no matter what crazy thing she's cooking. In fact, I have chicken marinating in the fridge right now for one of her recipes.

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2023 9:07 AM

Wasn't bacon fat an ingredient in spinach salad dressing back when spinach salad was a big thing in the '70s? To be served with quiche Lorraine and glass of Chablis, of course.

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2023 9:12 AM

Wilted spinach salad is delicious and been around for years.

by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2023 9:14 AM

Eat all that salad and still get fat as a pig.

by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2023 1:55 PM

r3 Who are you kidding, Chrissy? You guzzle it as a beverage.

by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2023 2:07 PM

My favorite easy dinner is pork chops fried in a little bacon fat served on a bed of greens. Salad dressings made with basic, real ingredients (EVOO, salt, pepper, herbs, lemon juice or a vinegar, bacon grease), are way healthier than the shit that comes out of a bottle with shelf life of a year.

by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2023 2:16 PM

Animal fat in moderation won't kill anyone. All that "low-fat" shit pushed for years has been detrimental. The real enemy is HFCS which is added to make up the flavor missing for being low-fat.

by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2023 2:19 PM

R10 what chicken recipe? Her cooking usually is very simple and no elaborate preparation required, which I like!

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2023 9:24 PM

This one, r17. It was delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 3, 2023 9:54 AM

R10 you need to watch it again, she didn't pour the bacon fat into the salad directly, that would be disgusting. She heated Dijon mustard in the leftover bacon grease then added red vinegar to make the dressing.

by Anonymousreply 19March 3, 2023 10:38 AM

In her “My Way of Life” book Joan Crawford gives the recipe for her favorite salad which was baby spinach with bacon fat. After rendering the bacon in a skillet and putting aside, she would deglaze the hot pan with vinegar the pour this over the cold greens, add the crisp crumbled bacon, season with salt and pepper, and quickly toss and serve immediately. It sounded delicious to me.

by Anonymousreply 20March 3, 2023 10:43 AM

r19, I can't watch the video, it says it's not allowed in my country, so I read the recipe. It says to remove the bacon and add it while hot to the greens, which I thought included the bacon fat as well, but it must not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 3, 2023 10:47 AM

[quote]she didn't pour the bacon fat into the salad directly, that would be disgusting

another poster who need to speak for themselves

by Anonymousreply 22March 3, 2023 11:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!