Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Am Mourning the Loss of Something I Loved: McNuggets

This seems like it could be the ultimate Fat Whore thread.

[quote] Have you experienced the magic of McDonald’s Sprite? With its electric spice, its zhush, its je ne sais quoi, it is, of course, supreme among all sugary drinks, a star in the great firmament of processed foods.

[quote] I grew up loving processed foods: There’s the kind in a can (SpaghettiOs, Chef Boyardee, Vienna Sausage) and the kind in a cardboard box or plastic container (the many varieties of Hamburger Helper or instant ramen). There’s the fresh kind (McDonald’s and KFC, Popeyes and Burger King, Domino’s, Pizza Hut and Little Caesars) and there’s the frozen kind (Tyson and Totino’s, Gorton’s, Swanson and Ore-Ida, frozen finger foods and full-on meals). And there’s fancy-ish processed food of the Red Lobster or Olive Garden or LongHorn Steakhouse variety, and there’s less fancy processed food, like chicken wings from 7-Eleven or hot dogs or burritos or insert-your-regional-specialty-here from the convenience store down the street....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2023 1:25 AM

AH WANTS ME SOME CHICKEN NUGGETS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2023 1:03 AM

I don't know what McDonald's does to Sprite but it does taste differently, and it also tends to upset my stomach. More carbonation in the mix is my guess.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2023 1:10 AM

Here's the op-ed without the paywall, for anyone who really wants to hear a 20-something talk about junk food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2023 1:12 AM

These foods taste dreadful now.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2023 1:14 AM

[quote]I’m fundamentally happy to now live a life where I not only understand references to the madeleine in Proust but have actually eaten one (and at a writing class in the South of France, no less).

[quote]But I am mourning the loss of something I loved — I wish eating a McNugget could still transport me to a time of warmth and love and safety, a time when I didn’t know what a madeleine was, when I didn’t know any better.

I love that the NYT is now publishing "tee hee, aren't I a scamp?" clickbait from obnoxious little shits who have nothing of import to say. That's great. Certainly bodes well for society as a whole, I should think.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2023 1:16 AM

Mourning Becomes McNuggets

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2023 1:18 AM

Lol the orangic versions of these probably all taste how we want these crappy versions to. And if it’s organic, it’s healthy.

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2023 1:21 AM

Spaghetti 0s? Tastes of the sweetener used to prepare this wretched food. Foul, pasty mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2023 1:22 AM

Ingredients: Water, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Enriched Pasta (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), [quote] High Fructose Corn Syrup. [/quote] Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Enzyme Modified Cheddar Cheese (Cheddar Cheese [Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes, Calcium Chloride], Water, Disodium Phosphate, Enzymes), Vegetable Oil (Corn, Canola, And/Or Soybean), Enzyme Modified Butter, Beta Carotene For Color, Citric Acid, Paprika Extract, Skim Milk, Natural Flavoring. Contains: Wheat, Milk

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2023 1:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!